Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to another episode of the All Blots podcast. I'm Tracy Alloway.
Speaker 3: And I'm Joe Wisenthal.
Speaker 2: Joe, have you ever met anyone at a party and you start, you know, you ask them the standard question what it is that they actually do? Yeah, and you just get a response that kind of blows your mind. It's something that you've never even thought of before.
Speaker 3: First of all, can I say my favorite question at parties is what do you do? I've heard that.
Speaker 2: I know some people look down at.
Speaker 3: Ask me about my hopes and dreams. I don't care. I don't care. I don't care. I want to know what you do. No, I do like, oh, where do you live? Whatever?
Speaker 4: Who?
Speaker 3: I want to know what you do? I mean, look, in some instances, maybe people don't want to talk about it, but I figure people devoted big chunk of their lives to work. That's a pretty good icebreaker. So we need to renormalize that absolutely. And as podcast hosts were always looking for interesting people.
Speaker 2: That's right, and sometimes you meet them at parties. This person that we're going to be speaking to, we actually met at our party our ten year anniversary party. Someone else brought them and I was introduced to him and I said, what is it that you actually do? And the answer that came back was I was NASA's first chief economist.
Speaker 3: Amazing, sold have you ever heard of that before? I would I would have not. I mean no, I definitely would have never heard of that before. I mean, I guess I'm not surprised in some sense. I'll say the one sense that I'm not surprised that NASA had a chief economist, which is like economists seemed to sort of be in every organization these days. They have a lot of tools and their toolkit that can be applied to a lot of things. They're pretty good with statistical analysis, et cetera.
Speaker 2: But then also, you know, but this is stats in space.
Speaker 3: Well, then the other thing is, you know, you know that there's growing interest in the commercial applications in space, and so satellites are another r one area obviously defends people talk about asteroid mining. I don't know if we'll oversee that in our lifetimes, but I know that there's the thing people are interested in. So although I would not have necessarily thought it, you know, so I guess I'm not totally surprised that NASA's like, all right, let's bring it an economist in well.
Speaker 2: I was pretty surprised. I guess I'd never thought about it yet. I never thought of But it turns out that not only does this role exist, but it sits at the sort of intersection of I guess a lot of public and private investment space exploration. And we've talked about this before, this idea that NASA has perhaps been seeding a lot of territory in many ways to private capital SpaceX especially, we've done tons of industrial policy episodes at this point and what the benefits are of government investment versus again, private capital. And so I'm very excited to talk space economics.
Speaker 1: But do it the.
Speaker 2: Perfect guest we're going to be speaking with Alex McDonald. He served as NASA's first chief economist, as I said, and he is now a senior associate at the Aerospace Security Project at CSIS, the Center for Strategic and International Studies. Alex, thank you so much for coming on all thoughts.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. It's a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 3: Thanks for coming to our partner, Yes too, party, I enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Thank you so excellent, So obvious question. First, I suppose what does a chief economist at NASA actually do.
Speaker 4: So, the position of chief Economist is essentially one of the three independent technical advisors to the administrator. I'll point out that all three of those positions were basically canceled at the beginning of this Trump administration, but they had been essentially people who'd be brought into the agency to advise the administrator on technical issues related to economics Chief economist, Technology chief technologist, and science chief scientist. These are not positions that are responsible for implementing programs. They are essentially independent technical advices to the head of NASA. NASA is a twenty five billion dollar agency. It has ten different centers across the US, it has international partnerships, and of course it has an extensive amount of contract for the private sector. And so the role of the chief Economist is essentially to advise the administrator of NASA on whatever the administrator of NASA needs advice on. But it tends to be related to what are the markets that we're seeing, What level of investment can we expect in a given sector. Has this company actually raised money or are they perhaps maybe misrepresented? These are all questions that come up in procurement and in strategy. I started at NASA in two thousand and eight, so that was when the Space Shuttle was still flying. We were beginning to think about partner with the private sector. SpaceX had received its first essentially contract from NASA, but it had not launched anything to space yet. So as you can imagine, over the last fifteen plus years, the role of the private sector has become very significant within NASA's portfolio, and as a result, economic analysis became one of the types of internal services that essentially the senior leadership at NASA decided they needed.
Speaker 3: That was fantastic, just real quickly backing up even further, how did why you in that role? What were you doing prior to that role such that you got brought in for this?
Speaker 4: So for me, space economics was a real passion. I remember very distinctly two thousand and five when I was a master's degree student in economics up at the University of British Columbia and Canada, and I remember two things that happened that year. One was the flight of Spaceship one. This was the first privately funded, privately built spacecraft to take humans above the Von Carmen line above one hundred kilometers, which is the kind of international definition of where space starts. And I remember, as an economist kind of saying, that's unusual. How long have we been building our own spacecraft and doing that with private money. That started my PhD into the long run economic history of space exploration. That became my first book called the Long Space Age, essentially on the economic history of where the money came from for astronomical observatories. And when you look at that, one will find some very interesting parallels. For example, the people who built the largest telescopes in the early twentieth century. These are the Mount Wilson and Mount Palamar observatories. They were funded by Andrew Carnegie and John D. Rockefeller, the two richest people in America at the time. Sound familiar. So this was a type of parallel that a number of us were starting to think about in terms of how are we going to get new money onto the table to advance our objectives in space exploration. And then the second thing that happened in two thousand and five was essentially the announcement of what was then called the Vision for Space Exploration, and this was the George W. Bush Era plan to return to the Moon, build a moon base, and ultimately use the capabilities to autavirus. And that basically told me that eventually we're going to need economists in space because if you're building a permanent habitat somewhere else outside of Earth, Yes, that's the technology problem. Yes it's an engineering problem. It is also an economic development problem. You're going to need to think about where the revenue source is going to come for this, Where might you see cost savings for new types of technologies? And so I had decided to go pursue space economics as a field. Did my PhD in that. I used to joke that once you do a PhD in the economics of space exploration, there's nowhere else that can really employ you other than NASA. These days, that's not quite the case. These days, there's such a growth in venture capital and private equity investment in space that actually it's a bit of a booming field, to be honest. So I started my work at NASA Ames's Research Center. So this is one of NASA's ten centers out in Silicon Valley, and I was brought out there to essentially start doing some of the economic analysis related to venture capital, how do we leverage these private companies? And essentially, as I did my work, I started managing some of the programs related to encouraging commercial space development. Made my way to Washington, d C. With kind of these experiances that it had in Silicon Valley, working with some of the investors and some of the startup founders, found my way to the Office the Administrator and during the first up administration that was when the chief Economist position was created.
Speaker 2: I have so many questions already, and I'm already struggling to choose a particular path to go down because there are so many. But one thing that stood out to me just then, you know, you talked about the sort of history of space exploration and the idea that you had these very rich industrialists who are funding the early stages of I guess astronomy and observatories. At what point did the US flip into more of a government funded model for space exploration and how did that actually happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great question, and I think it's instructive to think about kind of how do we develop the capabilities to go in space in the first place. So the history of astronomical observatories in the US really begins with these wealthy funders, and there's a mix of motivations. I break it down to these two types of motivations. One are signaling motivations and economics. Signaling theory is the idea that you can credibly transmit information by costly action. Right. This is kind of how you know something about someone when they're driving a Lamborghini versus you know, say, a Ford Pinto. Right, you have some information about the individual even if you know nothing else. Similar with education. The classic signaling product that I can think of, though, is if you know that one country has launched something around Earth and another country has not, you know something about the technical capacities of that country. Very similar in terms of astronomical observatories. These were very complex projects. They were about billion dollar projects if we do the kind of inflation adjusted metrics today, and so the wealthiest people did these things. Fast forward to the nineteen twenties and thirties when the technology for liquid fuel rocketry is being developed. This year is actually the one hundredth anniversary of the first flight of a liquid fuel rocket by Robert Goddard.
Speaker 3: That's why we did this episode. It was all time for one hundred year anniversary.
Speaker 4: That's right, I always love it, Unsentiary, you know, thanks for that. So he's working on this technology because he wants to be able to go to space. He receives the vision of space expiation by reading science fiction when he's a teenager. He reads a War of the World's in his local newspaper, and then a sequel to it, an unauthorized sequel called Edison's Conquest of Mars, And he actually writes in his diary about a vision that he had while trimming a cherry tree on his aunt's farm, and he decides that he's going to dedicate the rest of his life to space expiation, and every year after he celebrates what he calls his Cherry Tree Day. So he's going out into the world trying to figure out how's he going to get resources for this project, and it turns out that the largest funder for his early phases is in fact the Guggenheim family. He manages to actually convince the Gudheim family to fund this work. But when the Second World War starts, which is really when the US government starts to get involved with Rocket Tree a very significant level he starts working with a number of the generals and essentially gets funding to develop a genesis to take off rocket to help planes take off more quickly, and he starts get funding that way. So the Second World War is really when governments across the world really start to get involved with rocketry development, most famously, of course in Germany, but also in the Soviet Union. And so after that point, the technology for rocketry is essentially co evolving as a weapon system and as a technology for taking humans off of the Earth. That's really when the US government gets involved. NASA gets created in nineteen fifty eight after the flight of Sputnik, and then you have the kind of dual development of essentially the civil program which is what NASA is, as well as a Department of Defense programs, and both of them are roughly kind of equivalently funded for quite some time.
Speaker 3: Well, why don't we talk then about the flip side or the other direction. You mentioned that when you were at NASA we still had the shuttle program. I've never understood what I mean, why do we get rid of that? Like why aren't we still launching shuttles and so forth? What was the sort of economic logic or national security logic or whatever such that from the perspective of the government, we don't need to keep launching shuttles, and maybe we can begin the handoff for some of this more directly into the private sector.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great question. I mean, the Shuttle really was an incredible vehicle. But of course, as I'm sure you're familiar, there were a couple of fatal accidents with the Space Shuttle, first the Challenger disaster and then the Columbia accident. So essentially the decision was made after the Columbia accident that there was no way to make the vehicle sufficiently safe at a regular rate of flight that would be economical, and that it was time to move on to a safer, more economical form of human spaceflight. What's interesting in many ways with the development of vehicles like Starship is that the idea originally behind the Space Shuttle, it was very much the same idea that is now motivating the development of Starship at SpaceX, low cost, refully reusable aircraft like operations. You know, that was not ultimately achieved in the Space Shuttle. You can look back at the original economic estimates for what NASA thought they would be able to fly the spatial app and they turned out to be rather optimistic relative to what was delivered. We'll see where we get to on Starship, but I think it's just important to recognize that that it's really part of the same engineering and economic capability thrust Shuttle to Starship. It's the same idea, we want low cost, reusable aircraft like operations so that we can do more in space. Ultimately, the Shuttle was deemed to be no longer safe after the Columbia accident. Blue Urban Commission was kind of fielded, and they decided that it was time to move on to what then became the commercial crew program, and that came around at the beginning of the first Obama administration. At the time, it was very controversial. You can certainly go back and watch some of the hearings where you've got people like Neil Armstrong who were arguing that this is not a good idea for the nation. At the same time, there was essentially a need within NASA to figure out how to offload some of the operational responsibilities for human spaceflight because NASA was seeking to go back to the Moon and ultimately on to Mars. One of the things that's defining for NASA's strategic landscape is its budget history. Budget history is very easy to describe. It starts in nineteen fifty eight at a relatively low level. It peaks massively in nineteen sixty five sixty six at the peak of the PALL program, and then it declines very significantly until nineteen seventy two, and it has basically been inflation flat ever since. Our ambitions, however, have not been inflation flat. Our ambitions continue to increase, and so as the agency has been figuring out how do we achieve our ambitions, we figured that we would basically partner and figure out how to leverage commercial capabilities and private investment.
Speaker 3: Have you ever seen the chart of the NASA budget as a share of the federal budget? It's unbelievable. In the mid sixties, fought over five percent of the entire federal government budget, at least according to this chart that I pulled up on Reddit just now. No, but I'm pretty sure i've seen this chart before. I think it's ye right, I think I know the one I mean to take. A staggering level of the federal government spending was at one point through NASA and then, of course it's sort of declined into relative oblivion, but it's kind of extraordinary.
Speaker 2: Well, on this note, Alex, you're talking about NASA's ambitions, how would you broadly define those, Because it seems if you say that NASA exists for security and as a signal to other countries that we have superior technology to them, you could justify basically any element of spending as we seem to have done in the nineteen sixties. But if you say that we actually want some sort of return on investment in terms of jobs or i don't know, some sort of multiplier effect on the economy, then you're kind of thinking about different things.
Speaker 4: Sure, of course, one of the challenges that I always ran into is that there's this perner request for calculation on the return on investment, which I always had to patiently explain that this is not an investment, it's an expenditure. Right, You can't actually calculate a direct return on an investment in the way that you can for an actual private sector investment. You can, however, calculate the economic impact. And so every two years I would be responsible for the release of our Economic impact report, and for those curious, that is the highest level resolution data that NASA releases publicly about where it spends its money, and it spends its money across all the fifty states.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this is famous, right, it has to.
Speaker 4: It has to exactly because it is a public it is a public program. It is there to meet the needs of the American people as determined by their representatives in Congress. And so that is a kind of part of the agency's responsibilities and mission, and its missions are essentially defined by that combination of congressional mandates and presidential direction, right, just like any agency. And so what have been the consistent requests by Congress and presidents to NASA? Well over the last forty years, let's take the post Apollo era and even the post Shuttle era. We are now on the third attempt to return to the Moon and build a permanent habitation there. The first was called the Space Expiration Initiative under George HW.
Speaker 5: Bush.
Speaker 4: Then it was as I mentioned in the Vision for Space Expiration under George W.
Speaker 5: Bush.
Speaker 4: And today we're working on the Artemis program, which I was intmately involved with, and essentially it is very much we're using a different strategy now than we've used in the past, but it was essentially the same interest. There's only one world relatively nearby, only three days away, that is the Moon. There's also only one planet nearby that you can plausibly land on, that is Mars. I happen to personally be a big fan of flybys of Venus, but that's actually kind of pouter intuitively, because it is so.
Speaker 2: Important When you say personally, you don't mean that you're, you know, flying past Venus yourself, right, just in theory.
Speaker 4: I'd be happy to, but I don't think I've got millions for that. But the benefit of Venus is that it is literally so hot and high pressure that it is impossible to land on, so it stops both engineers and politicians from trying to. That's actually a benefit from a program management perspective sometimes. But anyways, the real goal continues to be Mars, because Mars you can land on, and there is increasing signs of potential previous life having been on Mars. We continue to learn a lot by our robotic missions there. There's starting to be some very interesting indications that there may have been a life there in the past. It's a very interesting world, and of course NASA also does robotic missions out to the outer planets. The moons of Saturn and Jupiter are truly some of the most incredible objects in the night sky. In our Solar System. You have moons like Io that have volcanoes, few lava, hundreds thousands of kilometers above the surface of these planets. You have worlds that are actually ocean worlds underneath these massive ice caps, like Europa and Enceladus. Enceladus has water geysers, so it's actually possible to imagine building a probe that could just kind of land under one of these water geysers, open up an aperture, and then assess what might be in that water. And then one of my favorites, of course is the moon of Saturn, Titan. Titan is the only moon that we have that has an atmosphere. It's actually I can't really see through it, but it does have lakes, except the lakes are not water, they're made of methane. And we now have a mission on the books Dragonfly, which is for me one of the most exciting missions that NASA is doing, to send a robotic helicopter to this moon of Saturn and explore it to learn about this different type of liquid cycle based on methane rather than water. You know, it's a fascinating solar system and one of NASA's cormanate is to explore that. And I could keep going. You've also got the largest number of Earth scientists employed by one agency in the world. Huge amount of the climate data that the world relies on comes from NASA and also responsible for aeronautics basically search. A lot of the basic research for fundamental green aviation electric aviation is funded through NASA, so it has a huge mandate, which is why at the end of the day, NASA is always looking for ways to make that tax dollar go farther, leverage partnerships, leverage private sector investment.
Speaker 3: That was great, and I just want to say, like, personally, I'm very pro going to space. I'm very pro landing on the Moon. Again, I think it would be really cool if in my lifetime someone landed on Mars. I think it's very cool. But why so if there's going to be private money invested in this other than the fact that, okay, maybe there can be a return from the private dollars because they're getting public dollars, because they could do more. From the economists hat is there a rationale for some of these projects that you see beyond just this is very interesting and cool. Could it ever turn into return on an investment? Into classic sense?
Speaker 4: So, the most classic example that I have of where the economic return came from some of these types of investments really does come from the Apollo program and the early rockty development in the nineteen sixties. So during that time, for about three years, seventy five percent of all global semiconductor demand came from these rockets. Oh yeah, what does that mean. It means that this was a technology that was pushing the boundaries of capability, of technical capability, and it needed this new thing, the semiconductor, in order to be effective. That meant that semiconductor manufacturing got to scale up at a level that it would not otherwise have probably been able to do based on consumer demand.
Speaker 3: If I recall from Chipwar, it was also the fact that space was scarce on the Shuttle, and therefore it helped create the impetus to miniaturize a lot of this technology, which then unlocked various consumer electronic goods.
Speaker 4: Exactly. The Apollo Guidance computer the other example of that. So that's exactly right. So when you're pushing the technology frontiers for this kind of challenging objective like going to the moon or going to Mars. You do push the capabilities and that results in, you know, the kind of famous case for spinoff effects. And if there's one thing that I would just love to correct is this idea that spinoff effects are things like tang right, or these types of more.
Speaker 2: Triff worth it. We got tang worth it.
Speaker 4: Right, And that's always used as a kind of you know, we say, oh, well, yeah, okay, we got some tang out of it's great. But the reality is, spin off effects are semiconductors, right. It is really fundamental technologies of the modern world. Another example of that is you know the ways in which we now have very advanced space based internet right. In part this stuff came from a government demand for rocketry. Right. SpaceX its first major service was providing the government with cargo to their national space station. Well, that's a pretty high mass demand. It's not a small payload to get Carverard with a space station. You've actually got to be able to launch a fair bit into orbit. Well, once you've already established a demand for something that is high mass, well, what other high mass things can you launch up into space using your existing infrastructure. Turns out the principal demand for SpaceX's rockets are its own products right now, Starlink, and that's also part of the plan for Orbital Data Center. So these are things that emerge from pushing the technology from setting really difficult goals. So there's a real kind of economic truth to that whole Kennedy statement. We do these things not because they're easy, because they're hard. When you do hard things, create new technology and new capabilities.
Speaker 2: Can you extrapolate something like the semiconductor experience to I guess creating some sort of lunar base because I get it for semiconductors, we have computers on Earth. That makes sense, But if you're building a base on the Moon, it would seem to me that for at least a very long time, your principal customers are going to be NASA and maybe the Department of de.
Speaker 4: Right and also potentially other international partners. So right now, the Artemis base camp as it is being developed, is imagining participation from for example, Japanese astronauts and European Space Agency astronauts and Canadian Space Agency astronauts. Actually the US is committed to landing to Japanese astronauts on the lunar surface, the first time the US has ever committed to an international partner landing on lunar surface with it, and we're now about less than a month away, depending on when the launch actually happens from Artemis two, the first time that we've returned to the Moon since nineteen seventy two, and the very first time ever that a non American will be on BART for a mission that is leaving Earth orbit, Canadian astronaut Jeremy Hansen. And so the international element is a key part of it as well. I think the lunar economy is one of the ones that's going to be a little bit farther down the road. I think one of the ones that's coming up sooner is what's called the low Earth orbit economy, and this refers more to commercial space stations. One of the biggest contractual competitions right now is the competition for who will get the contract for a private space station from NASA. So NASA already starting in twenty ten, as I mentioned, privatized commercial human spaceflight with a commercial crew program that resulted in the SpaceX Dragon capability and the Boeing star Liner capability. Right now, those vehicles are going to in their national space station. The plan, however, is to retire their national space station, the latest state that's been thrown out being twenty thirty two. After that point there would be, in theory one or more fully commercially owned space stations. There are companies that are raising money. A couple of them have actually announced one hundreds of million dollars investments ters in the last couple of weeks. What are they going to be doing, Well, they'll be hosting NASA astronauts, They're going to be hosting international astronauts. It's going to be training, but they're also going to be conducting fundamental research in microgravity. Microgravity is a very interesting phenomenon because not only do you have no gravity, but because you have no gravity in a pressurized environment, you also have no convection and that allows for different phenomena than you see on Earth. So, for example, you're able to grow crystals larger, You're able to develop things like fiber optic cables more pure that may increase the transparency of them. We are still searching one product that we can actually make in space uficially profitably and make it again and again and again. We're still in the R and D phase and we've been working on it for a long time, so it may be a while before we see one of these things. But there is a huge research effort going on across the world to figure out how do we leverage the removal of gravity in the production of many things, and semi conductors is one of the other areas that we're starting to see a lot of investment, and so I think that one, I think is easier to understand. We are to maintain a zero gravity environment on Earth pretty close to the source of mass, but when you're flying around the Earth, you inherently have that property, and people are really exploring how we can make new use out of it and make new products.
Speaker 3: It's going to be an interesting race trace either think like who is going to make something economical first, sort of that zero gravity space or anyone in crypto which industry will deliver something of economic value first? No, but for real, so speaking of actual economic value, and you briefly alluded to it in one of your answers, one of the things you hear is data centers in outer space, and you know, like Elon is very bullish on it, but of course he has a rocket company, so of course he would say. So, I can't tell is this like just thing that like people on podcasts and Twitter like to talk about, or from your perspective, from what you could tell, is there a real plausibility that given intense compute demands and I have to imagine it's like maybe the cooling bills a little lower up there, that maybe this could be like a real thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, obviously one of the currently you know, hot debates within you know, engineering, economic analysis in space. How much sense does this make. There's actually been a few folks who put on really really good calculators online. You can kind of look up Orbital Data Center online calculator. And the profitability of it depends on a number of factors. What do you assume the launch cost is, how often do you assume these GPUs are going to fail? How effective do you assume the radiators are going to be for getting rid of the excess heat. There's a lot of different variables, and given the fact that we don't have any orbital data centers of scale, it's hard to know exactly what their profitability is. Going to be I'll say one of the big obvious benefits is not a technological one. It is simply that you probably don't need to go for extensive permits.
Speaker 3: That's no, yeah, for real, but it's a real advantage. There's no space in mbs. Who are about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you may end up depending on how large these things are and how many of them are and what kind of what essentially what reflectivity they have. So one of the things that we're now starting to see is with constellations size of starlink. These are about ten thousand satellites in space right The vast majority of satellites that are in space right now that are operational are owned and operated by spaces. Ten thousand or so constellations have now been approved and submitted to the ITU, and various ones submitted to the FCC. At the million satellite scale, already a large amount of the night sky people are very familiar fly over revies satelites. A orbital data center would be significantly larger and potentially more reflective than a starlink. So if you've got hundreds of thousands of these up there, you might start really seeing them a lot. How much do we care about that, right, These are these are kind of social you know, social public choice issues that you know, we're just starting to think.
Speaker 2: About, speaking of stuff that we might be able to see. Are space elevators plausible at all? This idea that we could have space elevators instead of rockets to bring stuff up?
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 4: You know, I haven't had a good space out of their question for a long time, So thank you.
Speaker 2: Maybe that says something about their plausibility, but go.
Speaker 4: On, well, you know they're they're they're fun idea, right, I mean, arth ce Clerk. I mean, it's a beautiful kind of vision. And as far as I understand that, they're very reliant on high performance carbon nanotubes and equivalent technologies, And the joke I've always kind of maintained is, you know, I will I will wait until we have a bridge or a swing set made out of carbon nanotubes before I get too excited, or the space linervator. In order for them to work, they would need to be about thirty six thousand kilometers in length, right, because your goal is to get them into a place where they are in GEO, somewhere stable. If it's not in GEO, then it's going to be continually moving around, and you know that doesn't really work. So it's got to be in an orbit that is basically staying above the same place on Earth. That's true synchronous orbit thirty six thousand kilometers away. These are going to be very long carbonanotubes.
Speaker 5: So I'm not planning on that anytime zone.
Speaker 2: You know, you're obviously focused on the economics of particular projects, but I imagine the technology matters as well. How do you actually evaluate the technology because as outsiders to this space space space pun No, I won't do it. I resisted, Joe. As outsiders to this particular topic, it's very difficult for us to get a handle on what seems feasible just in terms of basic physics versus what seems feasible both in terms of reality and also the money that it might actually cost.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great question. One of the things that I loved about working at NASA was that, you know, you're working with some of the smartest people in the world, and you're all working for the public good, and you're just trying to figure out, you know, what's the right thing to do for the country and the way that the agency evaluates these types of technologies and projects is through teams, and you have a team with a number of different capabilities and skill sets. So you have people who are very familiar with systems engineering combined with people with experience in expertise and material sciences, throw in an economist, throw in a lawyer, and you all as a team evaluate you know, what is this, what would it take to make this thing real? You know what benefits would it have? And you know, you do these types of grassroots engineering economics assessments of these projects. And part of the kind of you know, the joy is that you tend to do these things dedicated for days, weeks, depending on how long you know or how serious of a procurement it might be. But a lot of that kind of stays kind of behind the behind the door, so to speak. So we don't put as much of that out, and when we do, it'll be in these kind of procurement announcements where you kind of will talk about the strengths and the weaknesses of a project if you really want to kind of get a sense of how the agency does these types of valuations. Next time, there's a very big procurement that is coming out of the agency, like we did for the human landing systems to return humans lunar surface. Go look at the procurement assessment the agency does on the projects.
Speaker 2: How long are those assessments typically?
Speaker 4: You know, they can be dozens of pages, right, and they'll get into some of the technical issues. You know, obviously there's proprietary technology involved, so you know, it's not like it's it's giving you the kind of you know, blueprint diagnostics necessarily, but there's a lot of information in them. And so that's the benefit of having a public agency like MASS is that it does have to actually put out these types of assessments publicly.
Speaker 3: Wait, are we really sending Pew back to the Moon next month?
Speaker 4: We are sending people back to the Moon in a flyby? Oh so the Artemis two missions will take four crew in the Orion around the Moon and then return on a roughly you know, kind of week long mission, give or take.
Speaker 3: And then what's the timeline for when we want to land on the Moon again?
Speaker 4: That is the twenty five billion dollar question. There is been a change in the way that the agency has approached its lunar landing efforts. So in the Apollo program, MASSA did rely on contractors, relied on Grummen the grumb and Lander system that they built, but that was ultimately owned and operated and kind of managed by NASA. Right with the shift to commercial services and operations, that is not the case right now for NASA's landing plans. The landers are owned and operated and managed as services by SpaceX and Blue Origin, and so there isn't quite the same level of insight and certainty, you know. And you might say, you know, there's some arbitrary certainty in kind of government timelines, which is absolutely true, but we don't I don't quite know at the same level. For example, NASA has not clarified publicly how many refueling flights they expect to be needed for a first lander of Starship, in part because that depends on this performance of Starship and we don't quite yet know. We're still waiting on the Version three flight coming up here in the next month or two, so there's a lot of uncertainty around when that landing would be. The NASA Administrator Jared Eisman just announced a change to the Artemis campaign, inserting a flight in between this next flight of Artemis two and the projected landing, and that would be equivalent to the old Apollo kind of nine mission where you're going to test docking the lander with the crew module in lower th orbit. And the agency suggested actually that if both landers are ready, the Blue Origin and the SpaceX Lander, maybe a lower orbit or Ryan might dock with both of them. So long way of saying, there's still a number of technical steps that need to go. I think the Agency has targeted twenty eight for a landing, but we will see. The architecture for lunar landing this time is not as simple as it was in the Apollo program, involves a lot more launches. The point where we don't get quite even know how.
Speaker 3: Many talk to us a little bit about Elon Musk has a Mars obsession, and he's not just interested in exploring whatever lakes or potential, you know, he's actually talked about colonizing Mars. But I don't totally get that. I'm sure I could read a book on it. In fact, I think there is a famous book that inspired everyone. I gotta read that. But like there's no oxygen up there must be pretty miserable, can Like, what's the idea behind actually living on Mars, and does that seem And you know, I have to say, just to back up for a second, like, I don't think we'll ever see a space elevator in our life, but I absolutely think there will be one eventually, and if it happens in a thousand years, that's a very short time in the grand scheme of things for human history. So like, but like, Okay, so maybe we don't we never see Mars in my lifetime. But what is the idea generally beyond behind the idea that Mars is a theoreticly habitable location that maybe could be economically productive or useful to DeCamp to in some way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you're asking kind of one of the most fundamental existential questions about our journey into space. Right in theory, we have a long time to go, right, We've got approximately you know, one billion years give or take until this planet becomes uninhabitable, right, and so ultimately, as hdu Wels would have it, it's all the universe or nothingness. Right, Either we managed to escape the planet of our origin and we have further experiences and expansion and adventures out amongst the stars, or we don't. So part of the long run vision is that eventually humans will figure out how to leave not just our planet but our Solar system. However, we do not have a real good understanding of how we would at all make that possible today, and so heart of the thought is we're going to need to learn how to live out in space for extended periods of time. The longest that we live in space these days is about one year. There have been Russian missions in the paths that have lasted longer in lower orbit, but our medical docs these days at NASA pretty much don't clear anyone beyond one year. So the idea of going to Mars is kind of developed over the centuries. For a long time, we thought that there would be it would be much more habitable, right, We thought there might be oxygen there. There isn't. There's a really good book that's come out the last couple of years called City on Mars, which really kind of goes through some of these things that you're talking about, which is that really might not be that nice of a place to live. You know, when you ever get the question where do you want to go? I often say Venus because it's kind of a one year in back mission. Because Ultimately, I want to stay on Earth. It's literally where all of the restaurants are, right There are restaurants anywhere else in the Solar System, And so there's a kind of sense of that frontier mentality that I think appeals to some people's narratives, even if they don't necessarily spend a lot of time on any frontiers themselves. And I think that idea of going out to a new world and learning from that world is also a different related motivator. Right there is a scientific interest of exploration. What can we learn from this genuinely different alien world and what can we learn about ourselves by learning to live on it for decades centuries. There's a cultural argument that some of my friends kind of really like, which is this argument that goes back to earthsc clerk, which is that fundamentally it's about getting variation in humanity, variation in the cultures of humanity. What will we learn what kind of different humanity will emerge from life in other worlds? We don't know, but that seems like an interesting question and interesting exploration.
Speaker 2: So I know you spoke previously about how private capital has always had a role in space exploration to various degrees. But when you look at twenty twenty six, I think some people would argue that a lot of territory has been ceded to private companies like SpaceX. When you think about your framework of looking at this, are there certain places or things or missions that you think are better for federal funding to take on versus private capital?
Speaker 5: All?
Speaker 4: Yeah, For me, the big determinant is whether or not this is something that is going to require public dollars for essentially the foreseeable future, right that there really aren't options as far as we can you know, kind of reasonably assess for their being private markets. So, for example, on launch vehicles, there were private markets. Right, the US went from having essentially zero market share of global launches in two thousand and seven to now basically having seventy five percent or above because of the success of SpaceX. There are there is a global market to launch. It's also global market in satellite internet, right, So these are ones where it makes sense to have private companies in the lead. There may be you know, kind of natural monopoly challenges, so you may think about how you're going to manage that in the future, but you know, we do that in other industries too. So for me, the reason we're experimenting in space stations is because, you know, we think that might be an area where there really might be some commercial more. We've actually seen multiple different private missions that have been paid for. They're not yet at kind of a very significant share of the market for human spaceflight, but it's certainly a lot more than it was ten years ago when it was zero and now it's a few percentage. For me, some of the things that we need to make sure kind of stay within the public domain, within kind of NASA management operation includes things like operating the Moon base. It is going to be a very expensive proposition. There may be some elements to that that it makes sense to have a private sector experimentation and potentially even infrastructure ownership. For example, you can imagine a world where you might have a baseline power system on the lunar surface that is kind of owned by the government, but if there's kind of interest in expanding that, well, maybe you have some private sector kind of you know, take on some of the risks to see whether or not they have some other infrastructure options there. If we don't have that privately owned, then I think there might be some challenges of kind of pushback, right to what extent do you want your tax dollars going to fund Jeff Bezos's Moon base versus, you know, the National Lunar Research Station. I think people's answers that are potentially different. And given the fact that it's essentially public tax hours they're paying for all these things, I think that's something we need to consider. So, you know, the standard answer is that we have the government take on these higher risk activities where there really is no market demand. But I also think that we need to think about this as an infrastructure play. For a long period of time, we're going to be reliant on publicly funded resources for these things, and I think therefore there needs to be some some public management or that through agency like.
Speaker 3: NASA, we can have private companies doing some of the lunar services like catering the space station. We could get like sidexo or one of those companies to handle that. I'd be comfortable outsourcing some of that. What is the deal with lunar territory? Have governments tried to claim slices of the Moon? Let's say we land it was a US based station on the Moon. Would we then say that that is American property that are what is international law established with regards to claims on the Moon or elsewhere.
Speaker 4: Yep, great question. So this was actually resolved in the the sixties with the unter Space Treaty nineteen sixty seven. So prior to any human landing on the Moon, essentially the powers of the world, including the Soviet Union and the US and China all decided we don't want the same type of kind of territorial acquisition scramble that we've seen in human history to take place on the Moon. So there was an agreement that essentially there will not be any assertion of national territory, and undernational law there are no private sector actors, so essentially there won't be any ownership of territory. However, there is ownership of the assets that you put there, so any Moon base that you put there, any physical infrastructure, would be American infrastructure. But just like an Antarctica, there are provisions within the unter Space Treaty to allow other countries to come and visit these facilities. They can notify and say we'd like to come visit your facility to make sure that there isn't any underward military activity happening. There. So there's this principle of reciprocity of visitation that's established, and the idea that we can all so mine has already been established. So what I always like to say is that no matter what business idea, that you have a lunar surface, you can probably engage on it right now if you can make the case, with the exception of property speculation, if you want to go build a hotel on the Moon, you can afford to do it, and you can just put it down. You'll get the get the license to do it. You don't own the territory, but you can put it there. If you want to mine something. The Space Actor of twenty fifteen that was approved by Congress and signed into a law establish that if you mine it, essentially you own it, right So if you take something from a lunar surface, that's been established. The Artemis Accord signatories have all basically signed up to that. So that's now a very popular proposition around the world. And if you think about it, we've already established that. When we brought back rocks from the Paul program, no one debated that the United States could essentially do what it wanted with that. And you asked, gave it out to countries around the world use it for scientific purposes. So we've already established a lot of those principles. But the idea that there's going to be territory is one that currently the out of Space Treaty, I would argue, thankfully kind of established, is not one that we're going to be competing over.
Speaker 2: How often do you think about the economic impacts of an alien invasion.
Speaker 4: You know, only on Fridays.
Speaker 2: Is this not like a thought experiment that they assigned to all NASA economists?
Speaker 4: You know, it's a great point when the agency re establishes the position, we should absolutely make that a requirement of you know, reporting out on that. Obviously, in an alien innovation, it would probably be pretty catastrophic. I would certainly recommend to any listeners, you know, the Three Body Problem series, but if they ever read it, it's absolutely fantastic, and you know, it makes a pretty clear case that would be a rough time.
Speaker 2: All right, Alex, thank you so much for coming on odd lots, Thank you for coming to our party. I'm so glad we actually met and I did get to ask you the question of what it is that you do so really appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Thanks, It is a real pleasure, Joe.
Speaker 2: That was fascinating. I mean part of me just like hearing what we're up to now when it comes to space exploration and the answer it turns out is, you know, a decent amount. There are so many questions that we didn't even get to. I kind of wanted to ask for an economist's take on the procurement process. Yes as well, but we're going to have to have Alex back.
Speaker 3: On procurement is Actually I want to do more on that specifically because I imagine that there's a lot of sort of small startups in both the sort of space and defense area. I mean, we know there's a lot of defense tech startups, and I assume there's a lot of space tech startups. How you actually evaluate those ones? I mean, it's actually really impressive thinking about backing SpaceX of two thousand and eight. Yeah, when it was long before they had sort of proven that they could do reusable rockets at scale, and now we've all seen the videos and they still blow my mind every single time. That was a really good bet and it was like, you know, I'm sure a lot of people thought that was completely implausible or whatever very recently in history. So that's pretty extraordinary. I am also I'm still and I think that's right. I looked up this chart again and the Wikipedia page. Four and a half percent of one point the entire federal budget was NASA, which just seems like so hard to believe right now that this was like a really big part of what the government is spending money out.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the thing. If you couch, If you couch it in existential terms, then you know, the upward limit of your budget becomes I guess not infinity, but you know, four percent pretty good.
Speaker 3: I do wonder, like it does not seem implausible to me that we have another Sputnik moment with China. What if like tomorrow, the like we're landing, we're landing.
Speaker 2: The other thing I want to ask about how NASA differs from China's space agency.
Speaker 3: But look, what if, like you know, they're like, oh, yeah, we have we have someone landing on the Moon next week or something like that, Like it seems plausible at some point they they kind.
Speaker 2: Of suddenly builds a space elevator. They figured out about.
Speaker 3: It, They figured out reusable rockets too. You know what the name of their uh reusable rocket is what the long March ten?
Speaker 2: Really? Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good name.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought that was a great conversation. And I just don't say, like I don't you know, I'm pretty skeptical of the fact that anytime soon we're gonna get like actual economic productivity out of space, whether it's from mining or I don't know, maybe the Data Center's things will happen. But I'm still pro spending money on going to space just for the sake of it. I think it's I think it's inspiring. If we saw some people land on the Moon and hang out there for a while, well, I mean, it'd be in such better video condition, you know what I'm saying, like those it wouldn't be those you know, we could see it in the high dev and they could do stuff insaid, those grainy things that maybe some people were thought shot on like a set.
Speaker 2: So why don't you just use AI to pretend to be on the Moon?
Speaker 3: I want to see it.
Speaker 2: Would you go to the Moon, Yeah, it depends on how far developed that particular technology is.
Speaker 3: I would definitely go. I mean, as long as they thought it was like plausible, and other people were going, I'd go I.
Speaker 2: Would need a certain amount of successful missions before I agree to you'd be.
Speaker 3: On the first I'll be on the first one. Let's do it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, all right, Well, in the name of all blots, maybe I would consider you for do it for content for content. That's right, Okay, shall we leave it there.
Speaker 3: Let's leave it there.
Speaker 2: This has been another episode of the Odd Loots podcast. I'm Tracy Alloway. You can follow me at Tracy Alloway.
Speaker 3: And I'm Joe Wisenthal. You can follow me at the Stalwart. Follow our producers Carmen Rodriguez at Carman armand dash Ol Bennett at Dashbot and Kale Brooks at Calebrooks. And for more odd Laws content, go to bloomberg dot com slash odd Lots or a daily newsletter and all of our episodes, and you can chat about all of these topics twenty four to seven in our discord Discord dot gg slash odd Lots.
Speaker 2: And if you enjoy odd Lots, if you want Joe and I to be on the first space flight to the Moon in the name of Audlots content, then please leave us a positive review on your favorite podcast platform, and remember, if you are a Bloomberg subscriber, you can listen to all of our episodes absolutely ad free. All you need to do is find the Bloomberg channel on Apple Podcasts and follow the instructions there. Thanks for listening in