Speaker 1: We have a very special guest here. We got Alex Cora on the show. Alex, how you doing, my friend? How's your off season going so far?
Speaker 2: It's been it's been good, so far, so good. First of all, happy in a year, a lot of good things for you and your family this year and good things for the Red Sox, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, Yeah, likewise, I hope you had a great Christmas, great New year. But yeah, let's kind of just dive in here. Well, you know, first off, you know, how's your off season going? You know, I'm always intrigued about uh, you know, players, managers, you know, off seasons. We're always so you know, invested into the season. But uh, you know, what's an off season look like for you? Lots of family time and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, trying trying to spend a lot of time with the kids and Angelica and the coolest thing we've done besides obviously the holidays, we went to England and uh, you know, we spent some time in London. We went to Liverpool to watch two matches, so it was actually two good ones. It was Real Madrid on Wednesday and then Manchester City on Sunday, So you know, those are the the benefits of working for Fenway Sports Group, right, you can get free flights to go over there, free tickets, you know, spend time you know with the with the players and the coaches and go to the academy.
Speaker 3: So it was a good experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we were just saying before we started. Uh, you know, it's funny when the Red Sox, you know, they joined together with Liverpool. You know, I'm a I was a big Arsenal fan growing up, so it's kind of I'm split when it comes to that, but it is what it is. But you know, kind of looking back here, you know, you've had a you know a little bit of time to you know, kind of let things marinade. I think back to you know, this past season twenty twenty four. You know, now that you've had a little bit of time to you know reflect, you know, what were some positives that you took away from this past season, you know, anything you know that you could see, you know, yourself, the organization, the team improving on.
Speaker 2: You know, there were there were a lot of good stories last year, a lot of positives, especially in the position player side. Uh, there were some growth and some big steps. You know, we can talk about Willier in right field. If you think about it, you know, he wasn't even playing the first road trip until Trevor gets served and he becomes a Gold Glove defender and right Uh Jaron Duran, Uh you know, I mean, top three player probably in the American League, right, the most dynamic player maybe in our in our league, he's up there with Mookie as far as like doing everything offensively, defensively, running the bases. Uh him Bobby will It of course, right, but what he did where he comes from, right, we we still remember the fly ball fanway with the bases loaded the Sun Bowl in Kansas City. And now he's a plus defender, which is awesome. There there were some kids that came up and they got their feet.
Speaker 3: Wet and they actually contribute.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, David Hamilton for a month there was one of the most dynamic players in the big leagues. The pitching staff, they they made some strides. Thirty starts for Tanner, Brian and Cutter. That that that's that's huge, not only for what we try to accomplish last year, but where we're going in the future.
Speaker 3: Right, and uh, they were in.
Speaker 2: A good spot. We struggle again after the traded deadline. We didn't play well, which is kind of like, you know, something that keeps me up just thinking about what we need to do better, and we actually know what we need to do better. We have to pitch better, we had to play defense. If you're consistent in those two areas and in this game, you're probably going to be in the hunt all the way till the end.
Speaker 3: We play some miningful games in September, but we knew that we were. You know, it was a hell mary right, like they say in football.
Speaker 2: But overall, with the expectations and being realistic of the roster and the youth of our you know where we at.
Speaker 3: As an organization, it was an okay season.
Speaker 2: I will never say it's a good season when you don't make it to the playoffs, and you know, you never hear me say that because at the end, that's the reason we're here. We're here to dance in October. And it's not only to Tipito for one series or just to make it. We're trying to make it a long run, and long run is to win the World Series.
Speaker 3: And we haven't that. We haven't accomplished that since twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you've nailed a lot of that.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of good steps forward in my opinion. You know, I think honestly one of the best, one of the best moves from last offseason was bringing in Andrew Bailey. I think he was, you know, a great a great had for the staff. He saw a lot of growth. Uh. But yeah, looking for you know, a big step forward in twenty twenty five. Uh. But speaking of twenty five, you know, what do you think of this offseason so far? You know, we've had a few big moves here, Derrek Crochet the big one, Walker Bueller as well, bringing in a role Disk Chapman, got Nerves and Wilson as well. You know, what are your thoughts on the offseason editions so far?
Speaker 3: You know what, it's been good, not only.
Speaker 2: In the public eye, but I think there's a lot of stuff that he's going on behind the curtain, you know, as far as like plans with players. You know, Raphaela has made some progress. You know, we gave him the freedom to eat and he's actually eating. Uh.
Speaker 3: He gained some some some some weight, which is huge for him.
Speaker 2: David Hamton, you know, Connor Wong, Trevor's story.
Speaker 3: They got together a few weeks ago.
Speaker 2: And there were some coaches that went there to Dallas and kind of like what we call Trevor Camp.
Speaker 3: And for everything I'm hearing, for everything.
Speaker 2: I saw, as far as like the videos and all that stuff, they're in a good place. As far as the addition, there's no secret we were looking for pitching. We're still looking for pitching, and then we have to be better in that area. The two years that I have managed the Red Sox, the rotation was pretty solid. And it's not the names. It's about going out there and going five and six inning consistently, or six inning is consistently, let's not you know, sugar Coat, This five minutes is not good enough. So in eighteen we did it. In twenty one we did it, and we made it to the dance.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Garrett is a huge addition. Walker brings something to the equation that you cannot quantity quantifive. I think just the experience being around one of the greatest pictures of old time. He learned a lot from from Kershaw, and hopefully he can bring that knowledge and help our young kids, which they're not young anymore. They're twenty seven, right and uh, just help him to to keep developing at this level the bullpen, the deeper the better, and we got some stuff now right Uh, you know Chapman he's throwing one hundred and four. He he he's like he's like wine right the you know, he's aging very well. One of my favorites Instagram accounts ever. You know, if you want to get excited and get up and go work out, follow Chapman. He's freaking a piece. You know, it's amazing. And then and then Wilson, you know, uh, very subtle move by the front office. One of those that people haven't talked about it, but I do believe, you know, that's an area that we have to keep improving.
Speaker 3: You know, Murph is on.
Speaker 2: You know, he's doing an outstanding job in the off season getting himself healthy and then putting himself in the equation.
Speaker 3: Bernie is doing a good job. Last year we struggle with lefties, you know, with our lefties.
Speaker 2: You know, they did a good job, but we have to be better and the more the better, and competition is always a good thing.
Speaker 3: So I think in that aspect, he's been a good off season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that. You just mentioned the competition aspect, and that's something I actually think is a pretty underrated factor when it comes to these additions of Crochet and Bueller. I feel like these guys can really help, you know, push each other. You know, I think back to you know, you go back to like Surez or Vierlander back in the day, right, you know, they really you know, they feasted off of that, right, and it pushed them to be better. And I feel like you see some of that coming into this rotation, and you know, it's exciting to see when it comes to the you know, actually quick question here when it comes to this offseason with with the front office, what has it been like this off season from your point of view? Where has your phone been off the hook NonStop? Have you had a chance to breathe at all? Or how does that work? Necessarily?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean going into the off season, you have plan A, Plan A, one.
Speaker 3: A two eight three.
Speaker 2: You know, I hate when they say plan B C D, right, because if we're talking about Plan D, we're in a bad spot.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of.
Speaker 2: Different scenarios that happened, Right, There's a lot of stuff that we cannot control. Guys that want to play in the West Coast, guys that get traded, organizations that you know, they engage and then they decide to stay put. You know, and obviously in an era that social media, you know kind of like rules the world. Right, It's very interesting some of the scenarios that people propose. But I can tell you something. You know, the front off is it's always diligent. You know, they're they're they're always you know, working to make this roster better. And you know there's thirty teams out there they're doing the same thing, right Like, they have a vision, they have a plan, and they have to execute. In our case, we were loud and clear what we were trying to accomplish.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I think if you go by numbers, or you go by by you know, war or whatever it is, you know, or projected wins. You know, a lot of teams are shooting for ninety two, you know, before the season starts, and I don't know where we at. I don't get into that, you know, but I think we we have accomplished a lot of good things in the off season. The phone is always on. But you have to trust the process. You have to trust the people that we have, you know, Obviously I have an idea. I have ideas, and I share it with them, but not all the time. They can please or they can you know, you know, Okay, this is what we're doing because Alex wants it. You know, I just give him my two cents and they actually, you know, they listen and they execute, you know, and I think we're in a good spot. The off season is not over yet. We still got time. If you remember, we got j D. Martinez in spring training in twenty eighteen, and you know, I think Jd, you know, prove that, you know, if you're patient enough, you can.
Speaker 3: Get your guys. And uh, we're still working at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, JD Martinez a great example, you know, honestly one of the better free agent signings in the history of the Red Sox.
Speaker 3: I do believe. I do believe he.
Speaker 2: Him and Manny I think, you know, as far as like earning every penny you know that was given of them, they they earn it and they did an amazing jump for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, speaking of right handed hitters, you know, that is still a goal that is on the agenda. Craig recently touched on that, saying, you know, in a perfect world. They would love to add a middle of the order right handed bat, you know, to balance the lineup. You know, when it comes to you know, options out there. You know one name that keeps coming up, you got Alex Bragman. There's some names on the trade front or and Craig even mentioned this as well. You know, perhaps some guys within the organization can step up any any news on any you know right handed hitters possibly or where do you see maybe that right handed hitter coming from, whether that's you know, maybe free agency, trade or you know, maybe someone within the organization.
Speaker 3: All of the abodes.
Speaker 2: You know, like I said, there's always options right one thing. We're very excited about it, and I've been, you know, very honest about this. I think we should give Vaughan and Mulligan, to be honest with you. I think last year, he gets hurt in winter ball, he gets traded, he gets hurt in spring training. On his way back, he gets sick. You know, he lost like fifteen pounds and he was never able to get his feet under him until the end. And he actually played pretty well for us the last ten days that he was there. So you know, he's having a great offseason. In Orlando, working in his agility, be more explosive, become the athlete that we envisioned before we traded for him.
Speaker 3: So he's an option. There's other guys that you know.
Speaker 2: Obviously, people are very excited about it, but honestly, we have to be patient and then see what happens in the upcoming weeks.
Speaker 3: There's ways of improving the lineup, improving the roster.
Speaker 2: Obviously I cannot go into specifics about free agents, but there's a lot of good guys out there that you know can make a difference in any lineup in the big leagues, you know, and we saw it over the course of the last three or four years, right, the right handed hitters we have added late in the off season early in the off season, you can take about Rentro and Duval and too right, they did an amazing job balancing the lineup and producing. So you know, we just got to keep the course, keep doing the things that we're doing as far as like preparing our guys to show up to four Myers in great shape and see what happens in the upcoming weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. And one guy who's also been working hard, Rafael Devers. This offseason, there has been some shatter and you know, Craig has slightly touched on it where a possible position change at some point he's saying, you know, he's open to it if it helps improve the team. But instead of asking necessarily specifically about Raffi maybe moving over the first base, which has been mentioned this offseason, what are your thoughts on and guys that have been at a position for a while and making a position change, you know, say from third to first or short to second, or you know, center to one of the corners in the outfield.
Speaker 3: Or from rye field to first base.
Speaker 2: One of the best players in the big leagues, right, Bryce Harper, you know, yeah, and he did it in the middle of the season, and nobody has complained about Bryce playing first base, So you know it has happened in the past, right, Guys moving from position to another one, some of them because of health reasons, others because of addition, others because you know, the organizations feel that that player is better in that position. In our case, you know how I feel about Ralfie at third base. I think he still can play it. His army played last year. He had trouble last year. Actually, I think he made like five errors when we had like overshift un quote, we had on short against the left handed hitter. There were three or four balls that he missed, you know. But overall, I know the numbers are the numbers, and we're not gonna run away from him. But I don't think the numbers make justice to him. You know, we expect him to make the routine play and then you know, just go to the plate and perform.
Speaker 3: So we feel very comfortable with him. One thing for sure.
Speaker 2: You know, like I said in Dallas, you know, I don't know where the rumor was coming from. Obviously people have ideas, but you know, if we're going to make a decision based on that, honestly, the first person that is going to know is Craig myself and then Raffie, right, and we're gonna have those conversations. But as of now, I haven't talked to Rafi about moving out of third base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how's he? You know, I know he was dealing with some issues in the second half.
Speaker 2: He's better, he's better. He's better, he's better. He actually was in Boston a few weeks ago. He work out with our strength and conditioning coaches. He saw the trainers. He's doing a good job, you know, staying the course. We expect him to recover one hundred percent and then be ready for opening day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. And there are some other guys and that was one thing last year too, a lot of a lot of injuries last year, you know Story, you know Yoshida, you know Grissom like you mentioned, you know, Garrett Whitlock, Giolito, Hendrix, you know, the list goes on. How are these guys doing when it comes to their progress, you know with rehab and whatnot, you know, especially yoshidah right, I see he's been traveling a little bit. He's he's always looking for the scenery out there. But how are these guys feeling? Have you got have you talked to any of these guys?
Speaker 3: Doing well? Doing well?
Speaker 2: Actually, Masa spent most of the off season in Boston rehabbing and working out with our coaches strength coaches, So he's in a good spot.
Speaker 3: You know. Lucas, I think he was very vulcal a few weeks ago. And one of.
Speaker 2: The the podcast that you know cover the Red Sox ready for Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: The brand Rob Bradford.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, he he said that he's gonna be okay, Liam, He's throwing bullpens with disimproving. So as far as like hell, we we are actually in a good spot. While we're talking January third, Trevor is doing everything so you know, so far, so good. Hopefully we can finish the off season the right way and then be ready for for more for Meyers starting thanks February fifteenth, I think I don't know.
Speaker 1: Getting there, so it's creeping up, you know. But speaking of sporting training, there are a few popular names in the farm system as of right now. We got Roman, Anthony, Christian Campbell, Marcelo Meyer. How are these guys doing this offseason? And do you see maybe you know these guys, you know, the two names we hear more of has been Roman Anthony Christian Campbell. Do you see those guys, you know, possibly competing for a spot in spring training kind of like what we saw with you know, Jackson Merrill on the pads Rais this past year. Do you see a scenario like that at all for the spring show?
Speaker 2: I mean, we had the same situation last year with Saddan, right, like, he went to spring training to win a job and he did, so, you know, they're good players. They're they're actually attacking the off season the right way. You know, they want to break camp.
Speaker 3: With us, So that's that's that's that's.
Speaker 2: Huge, you know, to show up and in shape and and pushes to make a decision. You know, I'm not saying that there will be competing for a spot or they have a shot to break camp with us, but one thing for sure, they're good players and they had the right mindset.
Speaker 3: We had a conversation last year. I talked to all of them.
Speaker 2: I said, you know, at this level, there's no age limit right when to make it to the big leagues. So you can be nineteen, you can be twenty, you can be thirty three. It really doesn't matter. As as long as you go out there and perform, you're going to have a shot. So you know, we'll see what the future holds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And one thing I talked with Mikey Romero, number twelve prospect in the Red Sox system recently, and the one thing he mentioned that I feel like is not really being mentioned when it comes to you know, these guys, is the maturity of them. And that was one thing he spoke on with Roman Anthony. He talks like he's you know, he's been there for years, right. You know, are there any other aspects that you see with these guys where you know they could end up making even if they you know, end up maybe going spend some time in the minors, do you see a possibility where they could contribute to the twenty twenty five Red Sox.
Speaker 3: To be honest with you, he's up to them, right, It's not up to me.
Speaker 2: I think You've got to go out there and perform, you know, attack the things that you have to attack, be better in certain aspects, and continue to be good citizens.
Speaker 3: That's very important.
Speaker 2: And good citizen is it's been a good teammate, Be diligent with your workouts, and perform, you know, on a daily basis and a weekly basis.
Speaker 3: Right, And we've been talking about them for a while.
Speaker 2: I'm very happy, honestly that the offseason hasn't been about, you know, the future of the Red Sox. It's more about the present. And it feels like, you know, they're part of the present. So that's good.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of the present, you know we are in twenty twenty five now, it feels weird, right, I've got to make sure I put a five on the date. But when it comes to twenty twenty five, you know, we talked about, you know, reflections a little earlier. What are you hoping to see whatever the team ends up being, whatever shape or form it ends up taking, going to the season, what do you want to see as the manager of the Red Sox? What do you want to see more out of this team both on and off the field.
Speaker 3: As an organization?
Speaker 2: Keep growing, right, I think we do an outstanding job off the field. You know, the Red Sox Foundation is one of the best, if not the best, in the world in sports, you know, so continue to do that.
Speaker 3: Impact the community.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, the guys get involved, and that's something we have seen the last few years. We just uh just in Turner, uh with Hendrix. You know, just just keep impacting the community. You know, you guys are amazing to us, and we should be amazing to to everybody else. As far as like what happens on the field. As a manager, just be more consistent in the two aspects that we talked early, uh in the in the interview, Uh, pitch better, play better defense.
Speaker 3: That that's something that we have to do. And then we're going to keep.
Speaker 2: Preaching that we made some strides early on last year. Pitching wise, we struggled halfway through it. Then we make adjustments and we finished strong. Defensively, the outfield became one of the best, if not the best defensive outfield in the in the the big leagues. Obviously, we got to be better in the infield and we actually challenge these guys, you know, to do that. As far as like the offense, I do believe that the last three years we run into a stage in the season that we struggle.
Speaker 3: And the struggle is.
Speaker 2: Not one week or two weeks, is a month, and we saw it last year. I think the numbers at the end are the numbers because we put some undoubtleding numbers for two months and then there's one month that we we actually struggle and yeah, oh they're the top four offensive club in the big leagues.
Speaker 3: Yeah we were for a while, but not the whole season. So we just got to put a full.
Speaker 2: Season together, you know, one sixty two in every aspect of the game. As far as the expectations, I think thirty teams have one expectations to win.
Speaker 3: The World Series, right, so why talk bought it?
Speaker 2: You know, as far as like, yeah, we want to win the World Series, but there has to be you know, other goals, other stuff that we have to do prior to get there and win the World Series.
Speaker 3: And I think it's being more consistent.
Speaker 2: Just keep working the things that you know you have to work to to to become an elite baseball team, and you know, stay humble, keep your head down and keep going, going going, and see where you take us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like you said, this offseason, you know, you think it's going to be a more fun season this coming year. Definitely has been some good strides this offseason. I'm excited for it. But Alex, I want to thank you so much for coming on here, you know, coming being in the YouTube world. You know, you don't usually see the managers of the major league team, you know, come on the channels, So this is a huge I really appreciate it. It's awesome. And one quick question before I do get out of here, Fenway Fest, are you going to be there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be there. I'll be there.
Speaker 2: You know, it's different, but it should be fun, fun to be around staff and coach staff and players and obviously you know the fans, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Winter weekend.
Speaker 2: It was great, you know, but I think a different pace, you know, can benefit and just to do it, you know, in Boston hopefully you know, people show up and you know, go meet the players, meet the coaches, and you know, set the temple.
Speaker 3: For for for the rest of the year for sure.
Speaker 1: And you know, one thing I've been seeing people say, it could be quite chilly. Are you going to be you know, making sure you got like two coats on at that time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, uh, you know, it's actually we had a cold front here in Puerto Rico last week. It was seventy five, so we had peoples wearing coats and all that complaining about it.
Speaker 3: But we'll be ready. We know how he works. So one thing for sure, one thing for sure.
Speaker 2: And tell the players, we always complain about the weather early in the season in February and January, April, May, but we never complain about the weather in October.
Speaker 3: So let's not complain about the weather in October.
Speaker 2: Let's let's play in thirty five degree with her.
Speaker 3: That'll be fun.
Speaker 1: That's always fun. But alex Man, thank you so much. I really appreciate you coming on today. Go have a good rest of your week. And good luck this coming season, my friend.
Speaker 3: Thank you appreciate it, Man. Good luck with everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Man, thank you so much. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Bye bye always man, take care