Speaker 1: It's podcast. Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth, and today we're joined by Yanni Cal Randall, Marge Mackenzie, Corey Anthony, and Matt Miller. Matt, this is your first time on the show. Tell folks what you do here at Meat Eater.
Speaker 2: I am our director of Content Partnerships, So I get to work with all the cool brands that help support us and give us all kinds of fun stuff to try out.
Speaker 1: And he's in the field.
Speaker 3: Work with all the cool people.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Now you're your neighbors with Cal and Randall. What's what's it like being office neighbors with those fellows.
Speaker 4: It's actually kind of nice.
Speaker 2: It was real quiet up there on the third floor, but now I get to b s with Randall every day and it's nice.
Speaker 4: Cal.
Speaker 2: I don't see as much, but it's good.
Speaker 1: The rand will give us a real report. Now, what's it like to be neighbors with Matt?
Speaker 5: Well, it is nice to have someone with a dependable attendance record. I will say I'm still adjusting. I'm just adjusting.
Speaker 1: Also neighbors and Makinzie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm just well, I don't.
Speaker 4: Because it's right next to the bathroom. That's the thing.
Speaker 5: I try not to make eye contact on my way.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking. There is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winner's choosing and for the start of the week. This week we're looking at near perfect games. In one hundred and twenty three episodes, we've had twenty eight times where someone has gotten nine out of ten questions correct, which means that happens twenty three percent of the time. A few times it's happened in the same show, like when Brody and Randall tied with nine points in episode five or seventy three, or when Randall and cow tied with nine points in episode five twenty four. Brody is responsible for eleven of those near perfect games, followed by Randall with four and Steve and Cal with two. Randal, would you rather win with eight points or nine points? Is the nine?
Speaker 6: Just like?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Bittersweeter, do you just want the dominance? Just the w just the w, Yanni, It's happened to you once. Do you remember the question you slipped up on where you didn't get the perfect game? This isn't a rhetorical question.
Speaker 4: Oh you don't.
Speaker 7: Was it that recent one maybe where I messed up on lead sugar maple?
Speaker 1: Oh? You're right. It was about yeah the iron?
Speaker 3: Was it iron in?
Speaker 5: Ye?
Speaker 1: That costs Yanni his perfect game? Didn't know his periodic table?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: What is.
Speaker 4: For iron? H?
Speaker 1: Randall? That question was not for you? Oh sorry, Yanni said he would not have gotten it though. Now here's our Infrequently Asked Question segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the mediater dot com with the subject line I FAQ. Jen Ermstin wants to know who is John Schlessinger and why do you always choose his questions? I'm jealous, Well, John Schlessinger and Steve Corson, they are the goats of sending in questions for Mediater Trivia. I'm actually a little concerned about like their home life, because they send me so many emails. But I'm very appreciative of their efforts. I bet combined they've sent in like between one hundred and two hundred questions. So a big shout out to John and Steve. And to answer your question, Jen, I choose their questions because they send in so many and sometimes they're perfect for the show. That's John and Steve send me a ton of questions. We pay them really appreciate that. So Jen's takeaway is just send in more, send in more questions, Jen, Eventually something will stick and it's gonna make it on this show. That's right now. We don't have any housekeeping to get to this week, but I want to tell you about the project that I teased at the end of the last episode when I told you we have an exciting announcement. Starting next week on our website, we will be releasing meat Eater crossword puzzles. Yeah, there you go, clap it up, yondy, thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Huh.
Speaker 3: It's every Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Starting on August fourteenth, we will have a new crossword puzzle on the medeater dot com. The topics are similar to what you get in Meat Eater Trivia, with the first three themes being outdoors, national parks, and hunting. Every crossword puzzle has twenty clues and the site will track your time and score. You don't need to create an account or log into play, but by logging in you'll have the ability to save your work so that you can finish the puzzle later or on a different device. Now, I want to give you a preview of what the clues are like. I'm going to read you one of the entries and maybe the room can solve it for you and give you a freebie for that first puzzle. Here it is. The crossword theme is outdoors. This is number nine going down. It has eleven letters. Here's your clue, flocks poppies, black eyed Susan's Tom Petty wildflowers. Wildflowers is exactly right. Eleven letters. That is an example of the kind of clues that you'll get in the media to crossword game.
Speaker 7: Now, that's easier than you. Sent out a little little sample both tests a month ago and I looked at it for five minutes, couldn't figure out a single one.
Speaker 3: Just yeah.
Speaker 1: Lately, we've had a Yanni guest hosting episode. Randall is going to be guest hosting next week, Shelby guest hosting episode. That was so we can focus on this project for a little bit. You're right, it was a little hard to begin with the Yanni, and we're going to make it a little easier, hopefully a little more fun. The first one comes out next week, and as Randall just said, that first answer is wildflowers. Flocks, poppies, and black eyed Susans are all wildflowers. And Tom Petty released a triple platinum album in nineteen ninety four called Wildflowers that had an opening track of the same name. Again. Mediater Crosswords will be available every Wednesday starting next week, and they are free to play. You can get the first one at the medeater dot com backslash games. If you like this podcast, then you'll love this crossword.
Speaker 5: Take that in New York Times.
Speaker 1: That's right, we're coming for them.
Speaker 6: I'm excited.
Speaker 4: I used bartender to play, so it opened at eight am. And the first thing you do is get the crowd that does the crosswords, and it's a bunch of old retired dudes.
Speaker 1: Well crosswords. Did they play?
Speaker 4: Uh New York Times, the you know, Missoulium. It was in Missoula, the Gazette, all the Montana papers. But yeah, those good crowd. I mean, hopefully we'll have a little more of a stand up crowd here and we file around.
Speaker 1: But those were honest the days of crosswords, it wasn't so easy to google something if you had to cheat them.
Speaker 4: No, it was a dictionary.
Speaker 1: Did you have one of those available?
Speaker 4: And a dictionary at the bar.
Speaker 1: The media dot Com next week for that first medieater crosswords.
Speaker 9: Is there a check function on it? Like as you're going, it'll like on New York Times, how there's that check function?
Speaker 1: That's right. We will when you log in to play the game, or you don't have to log in, like I said, but when you're on the website, we'll explain a little bit. You can reveal a word if you're absolutely stumped, you can reveal you can reveal a letter if you need some help. That way you can check your answers. Now all these things, there's an algorithm that gives you a score at the end based on how quick you did it, how accurate you wear and if you have to use any of those cheats that will take away from your points. That'll be explained on the web page.
Speaker 4: So we're gonna do like a companion deal too, like to do for the New York Times, like the hints article or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Like this week's maybe on this here podcast you can get some of these. I see what you said, like when Randalls saw wild flowers, but the flocks poppies, black eyed Susans and Tom Petty. Do you think you'd have gotten that one, Yanni?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: Right, Okay? What what? Which part of it gave it away? The whole thing? Was there one specific part Tom Petty? Tom Petty, you knew it was wild flowers.
Speaker 4: You could have left out Tom Petty.
Speaker 1: You still would have gotten it off the words. Well, that was a you know, there was a little more help, Tom.
Speaker 5: Maybe makes it fun.
Speaker 1: You're not, that's right, a little more fun. And maybe if you're not so well versed in the outdoors you have a chance then like a biology test.
Speaker 7: Otherwise, do you think the average age of a crossword player is?
Speaker 1: I can google that right now. My guess is it's in the early fifties.
Speaker 9: Right, I'd say, with the advent of the New York Times Mini Crossword, it's much much.
Speaker 1: I think you're right now it's apt And then I think you're right Mackenzie. It's probably much younger than it was decade ago.
Speaker 4: What are you gen zee? The commandment?
Speaker 1: That stuff now the Shelby indexpert today is a three and a half, so our winner should get seven correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything. Just tend to win everything, Gamon Suckers. Question one. The topic is cooking, and this first great question is via Stephen Riskowski, and as always, this will be multiple choice. The U s d A recommends you cook a turkey to this temperature, which is when salmonila dies. Is it one hundred and thirty five degrees fahrenheit, one hundred and fifty degrees, one hundred and sixty five degrees or one hundred eighty degrees in four hour listeners around the world who don't know fahrenheit, that's fifty seven degrees celsius, sixty six degrees, seventy four degrees or eighty two degrees.
Speaker 5: That was a really nice touch, a.
Speaker 1: Lot of quick answers. Some folks did not even need the choices. Here they are again, one hundred thirty five degrees, one hundred and fifty degrees, one hundred and sixty five degrees or one hundred eighty degrees. And we're looking for what the USDA recommends you cook a turkey too, which is when salmonila instantly dies. Do you follow this rule? Yanni? Do you know the answer and do you follow this rule?
Speaker 4: If the answer that I've written is correct.
Speaker 1: Then yes, Randall and Corey very quick to answer. You boys know this one.
Speaker 5: I look this up once a year.
Speaker 1: Okay, right a Thanksgiving or is it not? After spring turkey season?
Speaker 5: Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving? And yeah, if I actually get it up to one sixty five, not so, it depends on how the day is going.
Speaker 3: Go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 1: Randy just answers one sixty five from Randall. Corey says one sixty five, McKenzie one sixty five, Matt one sixty five, col one fifty, Anthony, Marge, and Yanni saying one sixty five. The correct answer is one sixty five. Nearly the whole room got that.
Speaker 3: Salmonila is the top cosmic.
Speaker 4: Ray for folks who can't walk.
Speaker 1: You know. Although the USDA and CDC strongly recommend cooking a bird to one hundred and sixty five degrees fahrenheit, there are alternative temperatures that are safe. For example, salmonella will die at one hundred and fifty degrees after four minutes, at one hundred and fifty five degrees after two minutes, or at one hundred and sixty degrees after thirty seconds. So you don't have to hit one sixty five to kill.
Speaker 4: That disease, you do to kill that dinner.
Speaker 1: It's a good way to look at and for our Canadian listeners, the correct answer with seventy four degrees celsius. Question two, The topic is biology. This next great question is via Kendon Martin. Encyclopedia Britannica defines this two word term as quote any flesh eating animal that has no natural predators or enemies. It's a two word term. The topic is biology. We're looking for the definition for any flesh eating animal that has no natural predators or enemies. Randall, did you realize on that last one in your little banter that you said the answer one hundred and sixty five degrees.
Speaker 5: No, I didn't, Okay, you had no idea. Yeah, I just let that slip. I guess that's tremendously embarrassing.
Speaker 3: Didn't didn't matter.
Speaker 1: The room was done writing again. We're on question two. Encyclopedia Britannic. It defines this two word term as any flesh eating animal that has no natural predators or enemies. Yanni, you got this one, believe so Randa looks con.
Speaker 5: I think that's called a Kelsey now revealing the answer to the whole room.
Speaker 1: Uh. That is a throwback to the Wives and Girlfriend's episode the Yeah, there was a question about a definition a two word term. M The answer was girl dinner. And I think Kelsey had said in that episode she goes the only thing I can think of that it would be is girl dinner, which is there was a good reasoning for that because that was the answer, Marge. On that last question, question one about the turkey she drew us a beautiful Thanksgiving turkey. Do you have a little doodle for question two? No? Okay? Do you have a good answer for question two? No okay? Again, looking for any flesh eating animal that has no natural predators or enemies, Your answer should be two words. Is everybody ready?
Speaker 3: Go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 1: We have Randall saying apex predator, Corey says Miso predator, Mackenzie says mega carnivore, Matt apex predator, cal Apex predator, Anthony apex, carnivore, mcken's excuse me, Marge without an answer, Yanni saying apex predator. The correct answer is apex predator or super predator. What do you guys think should we give it to Anthony who had apex but had carnivore instead of predator?
Speaker 4: Crandall think about where it came from?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, everyone knows.
Speaker 8: I mean, listen, that's that's not what the term is. I'm going to be an asshole about it.
Speaker 5: Okay, I don't think that's being an asshole film.
Speaker 1: We're going to be an asshole about in.
Speaker 5: It occurs to me now that everybody groaned when I said that, because I'd revealed the answer. I thought everybody was just reacting poorly to my joke that I sometimes serve an undercrub turkey.
Speaker 1: Okay, try not to think about it for the rest of the episode.
Speaker 4: My theory is that's just the way Randall wanted to start. It's just a mental slap to everybody's face. He's given away answers.
Speaker 1: Apex predators hold the top position of an ecosystem's food chain. Some examples of apex predators are alligators, grizzlies, killer whales, ospreys, cheetahs, and giant squids, but many ecologists argue that the ultimate apex predator is humans. Question three the top is fishing. Name three of the four states that the Arkansas River flows through. Ooh, the Arkansas River flows through four states, so you need to tell me three of them. This is question three, Yanni, thinking hard, Yanni? How many states do you have so far?
Speaker 6: One?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 9: Okay, can I guess what you want?
Speaker 1: Name three?
Speaker 4: Not that one?
Speaker 1: The four states that the Arkansas River flows through. We have Corey searching the room for a map, hoping that some sort of art that has geography in and around here could help him out. You find anything, Corey?
Speaker 4: That Nebraska map had more details, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm staring at the Nebraska map.
Speaker 4: It's not helping.
Speaker 1: Name three of the four states that the Arkansas River flows through. Nobody has finished writing quite yet, except for Randall. First one to put his marker and whiteboard down. Randall, how many do you have?
Speaker 6: For sure?
Speaker 1: Two flows through four states? You need to tell me three of them. How are your hands helping you out there? Anthony? Tell me about what you're doing doing little geography with the states.
Speaker 4: And now I'm second guessing my.
Speaker 1: Answer, Corey finishing up his answer. Corey, do you think you have this one right?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Yanni, do you think you have this one right?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: Hmm good.
Speaker 1: The room is leaking confidence. As I said earlier, Next week, Randal is hosting Randal. How do you feel about the episode you've created.
Speaker 5: I'm very excited for it. I've got a little uh surprise supplementary media.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like that. Did you tell Phil yet?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, Phil thinks it's too long?
Speaker 4: Okay, genuine hurt on doctor Randall's face for those just listening.
Speaker 6: His response was, I thought you would say that it was.
Speaker 1: Too long, And then Phil said, I thought you would say that Randall and he boys would be in a real pretzel. Does everyone have an answer?
Speaker 3: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have.
Speaker 1: Randall saying Colorado, Kansas, Missouri. Cory says Missouri, Colorado, Kansas. Mackenzie says Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee. Matt says Arkansas, Missouri, Alabama. Cal says Colorado. He wrote down four states the question, you got it? Write down three of the four, he says, Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas. Anthony says Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas. Marge says Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma. Jannis says Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas.
Speaker 3: Phil.
Speaker 1: I don't think anybody got it right.
Speaker 6: That'll be a zero percenter no, But he got that one right.
Speaker 1: The four states are Arkansas, which a few of you just didn't bother to write down. Thought it was a trick question, Colorado, Kansas, and Oklahoma. A lot of you had three of the four, but not, excuse me, a lot of you had two of the three. Now with all three Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma. The Wilkinsaw River is the sixth longest river in the United States and the forty fifth longest river in the world. It starts in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado and it ends at the Mississippi River in Arkansas. The Colorado portion of the river is famous for its trout and has been named one of the best fly fishing destinations in America by Trout Unlimited. Question four. The topic is hunting. This next Great Question is via Matthew Alt.
Speaker 3: This Miami Dolphin Hall of Famer hosted a hunting and fishing show that aired on ESPN from nineteen ninety eight to two.
Speaker 1: Thousand and five. All Randall needed was this Miami Dolphin Hall of Famer, and he was writing down his answer. The topic is hunting. This Miami Dolphin Hall of Famer hosted a hunting and fishing show that aired on ESPN from nineteen ninety eight to two thousand and five.
Speaker 4: I know one person, and that's because of movie that is not necessarily a movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 5: But it is a great movie.
Speaker 4: Oh, one of the best. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Youre real thinker Cal's confidence was confident? Yanni? Do you have this one right?
Speaker 4: Don't know yet.
Speaker 1: Corey Calkins, do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: I got a great guess.
Speaker 1: This Miami Dolphin Hall of Famer hosted a hunting and fishing show that aired on ESPN from nineteen ninety eight to two thousand and five.
Speaker 7: Did he play on that undefeated Miami Dolphins tea.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to give you any hints, Yanni.
Speaker 4: They did the Super Bowl shuffle, Yannie, that was great.
Speaker 1: McKenzie just not going to pick up her whiteboard for this one. I respect that stance. Don't even entertain the question. This Miami Dolphin Hall of Famer hosted a hunting and fishing show that aired on ESPN nineteen ninety eight to two thousand and five. Is everybody ready?
Speaker 6: I don't think?
Speaker 3: Go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 1: We have Randall saying Larry Zonka, Cory it says Dan Marino. Mackenzie, that's out an answer. Matt and Cal and Anthony say Dan Marino, Marge drew a football being kicked through some offeras Jannis says Larry Zonka. The correct answer is Larry Zanka. Jannis and Randall got that one right. And for spellcheck, his last name is c. S n k A one of you got right right see. Zaka was famously part of the nineteen seventy two Perfect Season, where the Dolphins went seventeen to oh and won the Super Bowl Yanni. After retiring from football, he moved to Alaska and started filming his outdoor adventures. Zanka has hosted multiple hunting and fishing programs, including North to Alaska, Suzuki's Great Outdoors, and Zanka Outdoor.
Speaker 4: What a crap players to have to play football?
Speaker 3: Okay yea.
Speaker 1: He said it drove him to Alaska because he hated the training cape. The training camp there in the summer would just zap him, so all you could think about was Alaska, and it kind of kind of inspired what became, you know, his outdoor production empire.
Speaker 4: That tracks with me.
Speaker 7: I guided the nose tackle from that team to a four point bowl?
Speaker 1: Does he have a name?
Speaker 7: Manny Fernandez?
Speaker 1: Johnny guided him.
Speaker 7: In nineteen seventy two. You didn't have to be a giant to play nose tackle. All of those look like average dudes. Yeah, it could have been a plumber.
Speaker 1: Question five. The topic is woodsmanship. This is our listener question of the week, which was won by Tim Jasper for sending this great question. Tim is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win our listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the meat eater dot com. Merriam Webster defines this seven letter word as quote a prime that grows vertically downward and gives off small lateral roots. Merriam Webster defines this seven letter word as a primary route that grows vertically downward and gives off small lateral roots. Randall quick to answer, He's the only one. No, come on, okay, March Oh Marge is already on her doodle. You know this one March. Marge has this one and now she's she's working on her drawing for US. Yanna, you have this one, right, I believe so a primary route that grows vertically downward and gives off small lateral roots. Randall, did you ever watch Zanka Outdoors? ESPN?
Speaker 5: Loved it?
Speaker 1: He uh, he famously. I think he ended that show after he got he had to get rescued off the coast of Alaska. Yeah, they like got caught in a storm, drifted fifteen miles off course on a black tail hunt. Uh, and then the show ended.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was saved.
Speaker 1: He was saved by the coast guard. The crazy thing about the coast guard when they had to come rescue him. I think it was a ten hour flight to get there. It's all just far away from everything what they were.
Speaker 5: It seems hard to believe.
Speaker 1: Again, we're on question five. Merriam Webster defines this seven letter word as a primary route that grows vertically downward and gives off small lateral roots. Yannie, Randall and Marge are confident. I feel like you know it, Mackenzie. Mackenzie feels like she knows it, and Yannie feels like Mackenzie knows it as well.
Speaker 9: I got really excited when the first thing I wrote on was primary and it had seven and then I realized that it was already in the question.
Speaker 4: Well, carnivore was on the carnivore question.
Speaker 1: As well as any flesh eating animal that has no natural predators or enemies. Again, we're on question five. We will get a scoreboard update from Phil after this.
Speaker 5: Sure is a fun part of the day. Well, oh, it's great, love. The day doesn't really start until we start playing.
Speaker 4: Whirler.
Speaker 5: No, I'm a crossword man. I held my tongue earlier when people were joking about how old you need to do to play crosswords. In fact, Spencer sending me his test crossword inspired me to renew my time subscription. Oh wow, and then I knocked out a couple bad boys in the first week, and I haven't really touched it.
Speaker 1: Since he's getting back into play in shape. Yeah, when the crossword comes out, I think something we'll do is we'll maybe tell you some crew member scores for that week's crossword. Randall doesn't want to be embarrassed by his pathetic score that he has, so he's been practicing. You didn't have a pathetic score.
Speaker 5: I'm just sorry. I smoked that crossword you sent to me in like four minutes.
Speaker 1: And he smoked the hard crossword that I sent to him. And I was going to make sure whatever score he has to present to the meat eater audience is going to be as good as it gets.
Speaker 5: I don't mean to come across as a jerk or anything.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready brutal? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Randalls saying tamproot, Cordy says spiders, Mackenzie without an answer. Matt says primary, col says primary. Anthony says the root. Marge says tap root, and drew us a beautiful little garden that has one of those carrots the lions okay, and then a large perfect and Yanni says tap root. He got it. The correct answer is tap root. The tap root serves many functions like anchoring the plant, absorbing water and nutrients, and storing proteins. In some cases, the part of the plant that we eat is actually the tap root. This is true for vegetables like carrots, radishes, turnips, and beats.
Speaker 3: Phil we're halfway through.
Speaker 1: The game of trivia, give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 8: All right, everyone's on the board. It's got cal Anthony, Corey, and Mackenzie with one point. Matt and Maggie have two, and hey, just like last week's game of trivia, it's down to Randall and Giannis. Currently they're tied up at with four points apiece.
Speaker 7: Anybody's game.
Speaker 4: I don't find you know the tap root one. I've never heard that word in my life.
Speaker 1: Never heard of it.
Speaker 4: You know, sometimes you're really close to.
Speaker 5: Getting in Yeah?
Speaker 4: Never what about the band? M m no, I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: I think that's the problem.
Speaker 4: The bad part is like every basic biology class in the United States, hous a lesson off.
Speaker 1: Of question six. The topic is cooking. Yeah, this state produces sixty percent of America's seafood, and this is measured in pounds. Question six, the topic is cooking. This state produces sixty percent of America's seafood. Corey very quick to answer, Mackenzie now joining him with an answer. Yanni, it's grinning is He writes down an answer. This state produces sixty percent of America's seafood.
Speaker 9: I feel like this is a tricky one.
Speaker 6: I feel like it's a trick question.
Speaker 4: It's got to be right.
Speaker 1: Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I still know Corey.
Speaker 1: Do you have this one right? The quickest to answer?
Speaker 3: I feel like it can't be any other state.
Speaker 1: Okay, how about you? Yanni?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 4: Guess that's all I got.
Speaker 1: Good. Yeah, he liked what Corey said. It seemed to bring him a bit of confidence.
Speaker 7: I haven't read anything about you know, stats along the lines of where most of the seafood comes from.
Speaker 1: So get measured in pounds, this state produces sixty of America's seafood. Is everybody ready? Mackenzie making a last second, I was just crossing.
Speaker 3: Go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 1: We have Randall saying Alaska, Cory Alaska, Mackenzie and Matt and Cal saying Alaska.
Speaker 3: Anthony says Maine, Marge says Maine.
Speaker 1: Yanni says Alaska could be Louisiana. The correct answer is Alaska, room very well. In twenty twenty two, commercial anglers in Alaska produced five billion pounds of seafood. That's followed by Louisiana with nine hundred million pounds. Virginia with four hundred million, and Mississippi and Oregon with two hundred million.
Speaker 4: Steam drop off sixty.
Speaker 1: Percent of your seafood comes from Alaska. Question seven. The topic is fishing. The Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation created this three word campaign as a way to increase participation in fishing.
Speaker 9: Didn't we have this question?
Speaker 1: I not had this question, but we had a question about a movement that became a group, which was leave no trace. So there's a hint. The answer is not leave no trace to this one.
Speaker 6: That's helpful.
Speaker 1: Question again is The Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation created this three word campaign as a way to increase participation in fishing. Randall and Yanni both have an answer. Do you boys have this one right?
Speaker 5: I think so. If it were in any other context, I probably wouldn't be second guessing myself. But given here we are question seven, I'll tie up.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 5: No, I'm overthinking it.
Speaker 1: You have this one right?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Watch this.
Speaker 7: Gage Spencer's reaction to a quick peak at my glimpse.
Speaker 1: Janni flashed me his answer to the question Recreational Boating and Fishing voundation. I hated this three word campaign as a way to increase participation in fishing.
Speaker 5: I wrote that down and then I erased it and wrote my answer.
Speaker 1: And they disagree.
Speaker 7: Good for the game, good for the game, not gonna be good for one of.
Speaker 1: Us, good for this family.
Speaker 3: Well you never know.
Speaker 5: Well I don't like that. It was my initial. Oh I guess.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready.
Speaker 3: I've learned over the years. You gotta stick with your.
Speaker 1: Should have three words for your answer.
Speaker 5: I'm a coward.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Randall saying, take me fishing. Corey says, let's go fishing. Mackenzie, get out there, met just go fish. Cow take a kid, Anthony, take a cast, Marge, go fish Yannis, let's go fishing. We have a correct answer in the room. It's take me fishing.
Speaker 3: Oh, Randall right.
Speaker 1: When Congress passed the Sport Fishing and Boating Safety Act in nineteen ninety eight, they required the Department of the Interior to address fishing participation. Thus, the Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation was made, who then created the Take Me Fishing program. Take Me Fishing helps new anglers, especially kids, acquire the gear, licenses, and knowledge to start fishing. You were all on the right track, but only Randall came up with the correct answer.
Speaker 3: Strong question.
Speaker 1: The topic is conservation. This endangered amphibian, which has become a popular aquarium pet, is only native to lakes near Mexico City. Oh, This endangered amphibian, which has become a popular aquarium pet, is only native to lakes near Mexico City.
Speaker 4: Can we have a verbal answer if we don't know.
Speaker 8: How to.
Speaker 1: Just write down your answers? Spelling has never mattered except for one time in the history of media or trivia. One question in the thirteen hundred questions I've ever answer asked, you had to spell correctly. This one you do not. This endangered amphibian, which has become a popular aquarium pet, is only native to lakes near Mexico City.
Speaker 9: I'm on the same page as you, March. I think m.
Speaker 1: Corey thinks he has it right. Mackenzie and Marge maybe have it right. Randall. Do you have an answer written down yet?
Speaker 5: I do not, which is surprising because I'm pretty into exotic pets.
Speaker 6: Surprising my kids are obsessed with. Oh.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a hint. If you know Phil's family, you can see one in town. Oh, okay, another hint from March where at that's enough.
Speaker 6: There it's an aquarium store where I go for.
Speaker 8: Gary the goldfish censer and said, did not eat on part.
Speaker 6: Of my plate?
Speaker 3: No way?
Speaker 4: Can you now house him? Yeah, he's.
Speaker 1: I call it the viv And I also have to go there to get crickets for my pet frog. So this endangered and has become a popular aquarium pet is only native to lakes near Mexico City. Phil, What have you gotten this one? Right? If you didn't have the answer in front of you?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, ok, because there is another building in Bozeman where you can see one of these that's not the visa.
Speaker 1: All right, provided any hints for this answer? Yanni now has an answer, Randall, do you have an answer that's a joke?
Speaker 5: Answer?
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Randall saying pokemon. Corey says ax a lottle, Mackenzie axe lottle, Matt, Hila, cal and Anthony without an answer. Large says axe lottle, and she drew us an axe lottle. Janni says leopard frog. The correct answer is axe lottle. About half of the room. Got that one right?
Speaker 9: How do you spell it?
Speaker 1: A XO L O T L. Did anybody have that right?
Speaker 4: I just missed close.
Speaker 5: Yes, Cory was very close.
Speaker 1: Axe lottle are a type of salamander that reached sexual maturity without undergoing metamorphosis. Instead of taking to land, adults remain fully aquatic and gild. They are one of the planet's most endangered animals, with recent surveys indicating that there are fewer than one thousand left in the wild. However, they are easy to breed and take care of in captivity, which has made them popular in the pet trade.
Speaker 4: Man, you gotta wonder, like if that species could go back and do it again. M hm, would they further evolve or are they like no long term survival? Says, kids are gonna put us in tanks. We're gonna be everywhere.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and they are.
Speaker 1: And they're all white. Now, basically, any axe lot you see an aquarium is lucistic or albino. We have there's a series of lakes in Montana called the Axilata Lakes which have a tiger salamander in them which does not fully go through metamorphosis. But they're not a true ax A lott they're high up in some alpine lakes. It's just too cold. That determined that they never decided to take that next step.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're like, we're not crawling on it.
Speaker 1: Phil, we have two questions left. Give us a scoreboard Updateeah.
Speaker 6: Let's see.
Speaker 8: I usually do the math before this, but I wasn't paying any attention. I think, Uh, let's see Randall and Yannis are once again the only players. Oh no, because we're on question eight, so anyone with three points can catch up.
Speaker 6: So well, no, no, nope, it's do.
Speaker 4: Randall's got six gas has five?
Speaker 1: Just heard Phil doing the math. Phil, I think you want to get an axe Lottle.
Speaker 8: Oh please please don't plant I mean, if my kids had a rolling here again, I know you and you will definitely plant that in their heads.
Speaker 1: I think I will. Question nine. The topic is wildlife. This state capitol is known for having North America's largest urban bat population, which you can see at the Congress Avenue Bridge.
Speaker 4: I swear to god, we've already had this one.
Speaker 1: We've never had this question, I promise.
Speaker 4: I know you have a system for this, but it was worded a different way.
Speaker 1: Maybe Nope. I we've had questions about we had to where you had to name a state capital where you could fish in the Missouri River or Mississippi River, I think it was. We've never had this question though.
Speaker 8: If you try to take on Spencer's spreadsheets, Colts, it's a losing battle.
Speaker 1: This state capitol is known for having winning the largest urban population, which you can see at the Congress Avenue Bridge. Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: I believe so.
Speaker 1: Cordy, do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: I'm just making a guess of a state that I think has a lot of bats.
Speaker 1: Marge, you have this one right. Okay, Yanni, we need you to get this one right to keep pace with Randall, who's confident in his answer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm failing at that.
Speaker 1: Okay. You need to write down a state capitol that is known for having North America's largest urban bat population, which you can see at Congress Avenue Bridge. Randall, have you ever seen this place? Have you've been there?
Speaker 6: Saw TV?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's helpful. No one else in the room looks very confident. Again, your answer will be a state capitol. Don't write down the state right down the state capitol.
Speaker 5: I else could be wrong.
Speaker 1: So okay, yeah, maybe the TV was wrong.
Speaker 5: Don't want to be No, I just don't want to be over confident. I could be misremembering what I saw on the Tell me.
Speaker 4: It's super easy, super you.
Speaker 3: Have right, cat?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, have you been there?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Did you like see the thing? Or no?
Speaker 4: I feel like it's kind of like impossible to go to this town and not hear about the.
Speaker 7: Cals having deja vu because he already told the story in another game of trivia.
Speaker 1: It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Randall saying Austin. Corey says Albuquerque, Mackenzie Saint Paul Matt Baltimore, Cal Austin, Massachusetts, Anthony Sacramento, March, Austin. She drew us a bat, honest, Lexington, Wait.
Speaker 4: A minute, it's Boston, Texas.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is this is Austin, Texas. We had about half of the room get that one right. Roughly one point five million bats call Austin home from March to September. Each night, at sunset, they fly out of They fly out from the Congress Avenue Bridge to hunt for insects along the Colorado River. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department says the tourist attraction brings one hundred and forty thousand people and ten million dollars to the city each year.
Speaker 8: What type of bat?
Speaker 1: It's a Mexican Let's see here, I have it written down. It's a Mexican long tailed bat or something like that. They're very common in Texas. Now here's a correct answer. Review so far. Question one was one hundred and sixty five degrees two Apex Predator three Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma four Larry Zanka five tap Route six Alaska, seven, take Me Fishing eight Axiladel nine Austin, Texas. And I think with that last question, Randall has wrapped up the victory. But we'll finish the game anyway to see if he can get the near perfect game. Question ten, the topic is hunting. What is the most common shotgun shell length at bass pro and shields? Do do you have seven correct answers right now? Or eighty? Yes? Seven? Okay, you won't get the near perfect game?
Speaker 5: Ruined it already?
Speaker 1: Uh huh again. This is question ten. The topic is hunting. What is the most common shotgun shell length at bass pro and shields.
Speaker 4: I've heard this would have been a good multiple choice to see where people am.
Speaker 1: Now back to the Austin, Texas thing. I've heard Steve bring it up, I think on Rogan's podcast before. Maybe maybe that's what you were thinking of what I've never never had it as a trivia question.
Speaker 4: I've never heard of that Austin than bat thing in my life or tap root.
Speaker 3: It's like a major tourist attract I've.
Speaker 5: Never been to Austin.
Speaker 9: I've been to Austin like five times and have never Yeah, I'm not sure what were you doing there?
Speaker 4: I was, I was uh huh yeah, uh huh.
Speaker 1: Well next time barbecue right there.
Speaker 4: Are designed are like perfect for bats.
Speaker 1: So they changed they changed the architecture of that in nineteen eighty and that was what attracted all the bats.
Speaker 6: We're learning something about Randall. Right, now you've got a bat thing. Randall.
Speaker 5: I just if there was a way to build bridges so that bats are attracted to them, I'd build them the other way.
Speaker 4: But there there's such a uh it's a flying mammal, which is amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I caught one in a pizza box one time.
Speaker 4: I got one on the trail the other day found a little sucker lane.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, keeps the insect population down. Think about that one point five million bats flying around eating.
Speaker 4: Plus they're like pollinators.
Speaker 5: I'm not I'm not discounting there.
Speaker 1: This is a pro bat podcast when podcast? Does everyone have an answer for the most common shotgun shell length? At bass pro and.
Speaker 4: Okay, has anybody noticed here in the Gallatin Valley like a serious declineate bees? I don't think we've had any bees, and like all our pepper plants, I don't think they cross pollinated this year. I have heard about this bees issue.
Speaker 7: Go on, I got stung yesterday, really at the house nod.
Speaker 1: Was that your first time?
Speaker 5: Nice getting stung?
Speaker 1: I have got stung before life?
Speaker 6: I haven't either.
Speaker 1: I've gotten stung by a wasp.
Speaker 4: Did you grow up.
Speaker 3: In a bubble?
Speaker 1: It's everybody ready.
Speaker 3: Go ahead and then reveal your answers.
Speaker 1: We have Randallson saying three inches, Corey three, Mackenzie three, Matt two and three quarter, Cal two and three quarter, Anthony two and a half, Marge two and three quarter, Yanni two and three quarter. The correct answer is two and three quarter. We had five of you. Get that one right at shields, there are one hundred and forty four shells offered in two and three quarter versus one hundred and twenty three shells offered in three inch. For bass Pro there are eighty four shells in two and three quarter versus forty eight in three inch. After that, the most common lengths at both stores are three and a half inch, two and a half inch, and one in three quarter.
Speaker 4: Oh Man, I totally misunderstood the question. I thought it was like the most common shell sold, which I still think has to be two and three quarter. But obviously if the variety, it's.
Speaker 1: Probably the same. I think I think you'd you'd come to the same conclusion, mat or how you thought about that? Randal is our winner with seven correct answers, Randall, where is your five hundred dollars donation from me? Dedrew going to go?
Speaker 5: I would like to make this donation to the Three Rivers Land Trust in North Carolina's Piedmont and Sandhills area.
Speaker 1: I notice you fumbling with your phone at about question seven, which I assume was to well, look up what conservation group?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I received an email from their development associate Michael Chipeda apologize if I've mispronounced your last name, and they run a sports and access program that provides access to four thousand acres of private lands for hunters in that area.
Speaker 4: He is also the first guy to donate fifty dollars to Randall's Venmo account.
Speaker 5: I'm not on I got kicked off for selling guns.
Speaker 1: Randal can easily be bought, and he's sending five hundred dollars.
Speaker 5: Where the Three Rivers Land Trust.
Speaker 1: Three Rivers Land Trust. Now a reminder Meadeater Crosswords are available August fourteenth, that's next week, with new puzzles dropping every Wednesday. Go play the first one at the medeater dot com backslash Games. Also next week, Randall is going to be hosting so come right back here for more meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Spencer, Yeah, Spencer from South Dakota.
Speaker 1: He's the host, using those smooth mellow tones. He lays them questions down, and he likes taking those two and three year old bucks.
Speaker 3: It is an avid amateur lockw