Speaker 1: Welcome back to those amigos. This is Wilmer valderramad Rodriguez and and you know, I feel like we've been talking about so much insightful stuff that we should go back to like what fills in the thirteen hours of the flight to London.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 3: So this episode we thought, hey, man, let's just you know, let's create aesthetics.
Speaker 1: So right now we were in the shoes and we just noticed that our shoes are by the same company, you know, and they're Nike, you know, but their colors gold gray and black, gold gray and black.
Speaker 3: You got Jordan's, I got, I think these are Pegasus, you know. We were in shink. Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, this is the style episode we're gonna just titled rest today. And he brought us back to those days when we used to be invited to Marina Lray to the Nike warehouse.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Tracy, Tracy Gray.
Speaker 1: Tracy Gray so much. I hope you're listening to this. I wish you would have given ATHLETs for free. They're pretty expensive nowadays.
Speaker 3: But are you?
Speaker 1: But but yeah, definitely definitely shout out to her because she was making all of our young young men's uh ow dreams come true. You go in there and then menim Mini moo. She was so generous. You know, it's like really kind of amazing.
Speaker 3: It was this wonderful facility.
Speaker 2: Obviously, right, Nike has to advertise, right, whether it's commercials or wherever it is, and it was at a point where they would equip celebrities I guess, right, with some Nike gear and we would wear it and that would be a form.
Speaker 3: Of advertisement, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you were telling this awesome story about DJ a m oh yeah and taking him there and how he was the first DJ they embraced that commercial level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Adam was in my definition, one of the best DJs of our entire generation. The mark he left behind, the amount of incredible DJs he mentored, uh, the incredible amount of artists that he inspired, The idea that he could mash up Sweet Home Alabama and Biggie Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, it was like just on trial, like no one was doing that. No one was doing that, you know.
Speaker 1: It was kind of it was also thrown it back to the days of like you know, roun DNC and and Aerospan, right, but this guy was doing it with radio.
Speaker 3: And like underground hits.
Speaker 1: You know, and he would play oases at the end of the night, you know, after a big hip hop scene. You know, it's like and so he he just was such a pioneer, not just for music but for style. I mean, the guy were a different Air Force one every single night, every single night, everythingle night.
Speaker 3: He never repeated Air Force one. That's how fast his collection was. He had a huge collection.
Speaker 1: And so one day I rolled in with some you know, limited air Force ones to the to the club, you know, with him, and then I rolled up.
Speaker 3: He's like, Yo, Wilmer, would you get those? I was like, I don't know, dude.
Speaker 1: I think I got him in a box from Nike and he goes, WHOA, You're getting free Nikes? And I was again at the time, everyone who's listening there was these programs had all these companies. This was their way of seeding their product through pop culture, right. They would they would go to actors and musicians and athletes, and they would just give him stuff to wear in the street because they knew that when they would go out there, people would look at them and they most likely will look down to their shoes or the jacket they were wearing, and like and by the way it was, it was a very very effective, you know, kind of a marketing strategy, right because because you you were just giving free product to an artist and get him free advertising, you didn't have to pay them an endorsement deal. You didn't have to pay them a commercial deal. You literally put free stuff on them. And if somebody saw it and they're like, I like the shoes that Freddie's wearing, they go to Nike and be like you, I just saw this great blah blah blah. So he was converting into actual profit for a lot of these companies.
Speaker 3: Anyways, he started like.
Speaker 1: You getting free stuff and I was like yeah, he goes, man, man, it's like my dream to go to the Nike warehouse.
Speaker 3: So he knew about it already. He knew about the the Ray. It was like infamous. You know.
Speaker 1: It's like I heard they have a basketball courts in there, you know, and I really had the first Nike shoes in there, like you know. So he was he was really into it and really knew everything about it. And I was like, you've never been to it. He's like, and dude, he at this point he's like with the biggest DJ, right, like you know, Jennet Jackson in the in the DJ booth with him like blame in my latest single, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like.
Speaker 4: Calvin Harris before Calvin Harris.
Speaker 1: Absolute and you know, and I will say he was moments away from having all his stuff play on the radio. Yeah, he was gonna be the first one, you know. I know, his original tracks is incredible, you know. Anyways, going back to the Nike story, so so he he's like.
Speaker 3: Wait, you go to the warehouse. You're kidding me. You get free stuff? And I was like, yeah, dude, I get free stuff. I'm look at these, you know. He's like, oh man, those are those are crazy? Right? Oh man? I one day I can go there. And I was like, bro, like what are you doing tomorrow.
Speaker 1: He's like, no, dog dog oh me, that'd be crazy.
Speaker 3: He always coming homie home. I'd be crazy.
Speaker 1: I was like, we'll be crazy because you're gonna take me to the to the warehouse. And I was like yeah, and I'm not I've been to the warehouse at this point like nineteen times.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, yes, it's like we're going. We just show up. We don't even tell him anymore, you know. And and he was like.
Speaker 1: You sure, man, like you sure it's not cool with you? Like I mean may it would be a dream of true. And I was like, bro, let's go. So I went and picked him up. He wore he's cleaning are first. Once we rolled up to the warehouse, Marinada Ray Tracy Gray you know very well, you know, greeted us outside and she's like, hey. I was like, remember I was telling you my friends the DJ, I said, you know, you always have artists here, you always have actors and musicians and athletes, but the DJs are the ones who really transcend in the streets. I mean, these guys really were the fly stuff, you know when when they're performing. She's like, no, no, welcome, I'm excited. Look a friend of Wilmer is a friend of mine. And I was like, let's go. We get inside and dude, it was like it takes you to that special room. Yes, in special room, and then the thing opens and you're like, oh my god. It was literally like a seven year old go into Disneyland for the first time.
Speaker 3: Wow. It was that type of thing that you were just like, oh my god, this is larger.
Speaker 1: And like all different rooms were themed. You remember what you remember some of the things.
Speaker 4: The golf room, there was the Jordan room.
Speaker 3: There was sort of like.
Speaker 2: It was almost like walking into like a Nike store, but they would walk you in and go take.
Speaker 1: One, yes, And I said, what do you mean pick one? He goes, yeah, what size are you? I go ten and a half. And then they're like, try is on. They fit really good. They fit really good, thank you, And I take them off and give them right back and they're like, no, these are yours.
Speaker 3: I said, I'm I'm sorry. You mean like you can take this home. I mean, it was like just bizarre. You were like, what are you kidding me? You're giving me free shoes, right, I mean like it was just so cool.
Speaker 1: And she was so nice, and you know, he came in he told her the story of his shoes and he told her, you know, he started looking at all the stuff on the walls and all the limited edition and.
Speaker 3: He was like he knew more story about that stuff than anyone else. Wow. And he just was in encyclopedia of.
Speaker 1: Nike and trand in different eras in different decades and the things that were released, and Tracy was so impressed by that. Wow, Adam like that's there's a lot of knowledge there, you know, and she's like, hey, so what size are you? And his eyes he looked. He goes, no, right, don't. I was just here visiting with Wilmer like I was. He didn't think he was gonna get a pair of shoes. He just thought he was going to see the warehouse. And then she gives him forget what was serious. It was seriously, she gave him some beautiful air Force ones and she was still taken.
Speaker 3: Back how grateful he was, and he loved the brand. He goes, you know, artists come in there, they're just like, oh, yeah, take the free stuff. But did this dude meant everything? You know? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And you know, so I gave Trasey his number and all that stuff, and then like we we went back to our normal lives, you know. And then all of a sudden, he's like, yo, dude, I just want to say, man, thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm going to the warehouse by myself.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh, cool, cool, cool, And then he called me again like whatever, Like two months later, he goes, dude, you won't believe this. Man, I'm gonna design. I'm going to design the dj AM air Force. Once wow, I said what he goes, Yeah, man, it's crazy. Thank you man, thank you. I was like, no, dude, you deserve it, of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then like a year after that, Tracy called him and said, hey, we would love for you to be in.
Speaker 3: The Kobe Bryant commercial for Nike. Wow. So, all of a.
Speaker 1: Sudden, AM is the first DJ and the history of DJs to be to be in a national Nike commercial with Kobe Bryant, who's a multi champion at the time. And and it was just like just magic, you know. It was a perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how did that even happen? Just because she recognized his knowledge of Air Force one And.
Speaker 1: At this point she talked well, because I'm sure she she told me after it and I realized that, and she started asking around, who's this guy in the DJ AM And then I told her everything about him. But then when she started hearing it from everybody else and her staff and the team and people knew exactly what he was, she realized, oh, this is a very interesting unique.
Speaker 3: He wasn't even underground anymore. He was pretty man.
Speaker 1: He he was just a massive moment, you know. And and she then recognized that and realized, this is a very unique way to go with Nike.
Speaker 3: It's never it's a destination we've never gone, and it makes the most sense.
Speaker 1: The music, the lifestyle, you know, it all made a lot of sense for the brand, and they started expanding into that direction.
Speaker 3: That's so cool that.
Speaker 2: She had the foresight, right because now, right as I was saying, and the Diplos and the Calvin Harris's of the world, who all have residencies now and a tso all those guys, right, but she kind of recognized the potential of that way before it was mainstream or popular.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: So I mean, look, Steve Oki, shout out to my brother stevee Okay, you know, you know he he was, he was the part of that generation and am you know, mentor him and a lot of incredible things. And then they partner up and things together. They had their own club together and everything. Oh yeah, and then just and then Aoki just became you know, his own yeah, iconic brand, and he just swored you know, and the.
Speaker 2: Cakes and yeah, the sort of incorporating this kind of theater aspect to DJ.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you know, so the more I remember, the more I tell the story, the more it just makes me sad because of the potential he had, you know, and you know, just to catch everybody up, I'm talking about you know Adam, you know Djam, who was one of the biggest DJs of our generation, of the two thousands, you know, and yeah.
Speaker 3: And you know, he's no longer with us.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately he lost his battle, and it was just really, you know, really really sad because he right now would have built something very special. I mean, he would have been probably the biggest music producer. You know, he probably would have made so much, so much music that would have redefined so much of what we do. I got a lot of music today that's made it's popular in radio, and he plays, you know, but what he was doing, he was he was doing timeless music that really could could you know, could last?
Speaker 3: Wow? Yeah, pretty pretty pretty gradible.
Speaker 2: But I have a music story too, if I may shoot. Of course, I've never told the story. I'm gonna I'm gonna say it right now. When I was shooting dead presidents, we got an invitation to a birthday party, and uh, the whole house was invited to this big birthday party that was going to have a bunch of music people in it.
Speaker 4: And uh, and I'm I'm nineteen years old.
Speaker 2: I'm right out of high school. You know, I'm a big hip hop head. I'm in I'm in New York in ninety.
Speaker 3: Four, sort of the apex of like that.
Speaker 4: Early nineties hip hop movement. And uh, I get invited to this birthday party.
Speaker 2: And as soon as I walk in, I see Dougie Fresh, I see Jay Rue the damager I see Grand Pooba from Brand Nubian's, all of these people that just the year before I was in high school listening to like their CDs, you know.
Speaker 3: And right before I did that movie, I was.
Speaker 2: Doing a movie called A Walk in the Clouds and it was produced one of the producers on it was this old school guy named Jim Brubaker. And you would have known Jim. He did like a lot of like the Stallone movies in the seventies and eighties, and eventually he went on to run physical production over at Universal and oversaw movies.
Speaker 4: Like Liar Liar and all those early Jim Carrey movies. But Jim was a.
Speaker 2: Teamster, old school gruff teamster who became a producer, right so he had that sensibility about him. And while I was doing A Walk in the Clouds. I auditioned for Dead Presidents and I got it, and I came back to set and he.
Speaker 3: Goes, hey, I heard I heard you.
Speaker 2: You got this movie. Dead President's a you're you gonna go do it? He was like, hey, is Tupac in that movie? And I was like, I have no idea, right, He just assumed because it was like an urban movie. And he goes, well, if Tupaca is in that movie, or you ever meet Tupac, you.
Speaker 4: Tell him you know me, Jim brew Baker.
Speaker 2: He goes, because I produced Above the Rim and I was with Tupac at each and every one of his court cases when we were doing that movie. And so I was like, okay, Jim brew Baker, Tupac.
Speaker 4: Tell him, I know you got it right.
Speaker 2: I was like a nineteen year old kid, and this story is a oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: So so cut to I'm doing The Presidents.
Speaker 3: I go to this party.
Speaker 2: I see all of these musical artists that I've admired forever.
Speaker 4: All of a sudden, I see.
Speaker 2: Tupac right, no W And in my brain, Jim brew Baker, Tupac go say hi, right, I'm approaching Tupac, And all of a sudden, this big guy just kind of gets in front of me right and starts talking to Tupac, and I look up and it's Biggie Smalls what and so like yeah, So I didn't understand like the significance of the moment that I was witnessing, you know. And I was just there like watching Biggie and Tupac hug each other and give each other so much.
Speaker 3: Love and respect.
Speaker 2: And then and of course I'm sitting there like a kid right waiting for that interaction to stop so I can go tell him. And then another person comes into their circle, another person, other person, and then I missed my.
Speaker 4: Opportunity, right.
Speaker 2: So about a week later, I'm at this club called the Palladium in New York, and I'm passing by the VIP section and long and behold, I see Tupac in the VIP section and I can tell he looks over to me, and I go like this, and I'm waving him over right, like no.
Speaker 4: Sense, no sense of etiquette or anything. And he's looking at me like, who the hell is this guy waving me over?
Speaker 2: Right? And see he comes over with all this bravado and he's like, yo, what's up? Man? And I was like, hey, I introduced myself and I'm like, I'm here doing this movie. And by the way, Jim Brubaker wanted to meet it. And as soon as I said Jim's name is like all that bravado win went all out the window and he was like, oh my god.
Speaker 4: Told Jim I said hello and.
Speaker 3: That I met you. Like yeah, man.
Speaker 4: It was like it was like mob like respect right there.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So about a.
Speaker 2: Week after that, I go to work and and like everybody's faces was long.
Speaker 4: You know, I can tell that there was a sadness on set and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, what happened.
Speaker 2: They're like, man, you know, Tupac just got shot in this studio. And I was like, what do you mean he just got shot. I just just talked to that guy like a week ago.
Speaker 4: He goes, no, man, he got shot, you know. And as the story unfolded, you know, everyone thought that Biggie shot him in that studio and they were saying that on set and I was like, whoa hold on a second, how could that be? Man? I just saw them hugging like right in front of.
Speaker 3: Me, you know.
Speaker 2: And then and then the movie ended, and you know, I went back home and then.
Speaker 3: All of that East Coast.
Speaker 1: West started, you know as a big that war was the most unfortunate Yeah moment for history. Uh and in the hip hop history, I should say, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then and then and then Tupac died, and then Biggie died, and so like you know, yeah, we were just like me seeing it unfold and seeing those two guys die, and it brings a certain level of sadness to me because every time I would see that, or because all I can think of was like being in front of these two guys and like watching them hug and give each other sans.
Speaker 3: Did you ever spit some bars for Tupac? Because you know.
Speaker 1: Thats goming right, you know, you know that episode is coming right where you're gonna have to or we're gonna have to play some of No one wants to hear that.
Speaker 3: Everyone.
Speaker 1: In fact, we're changing the those Amigo soundtrack to one of their old tracks.
Speaker 3: Speaking of fashion. But by the way, what a beautiful sidetrack to tell those graces. Oh yeah, yeah, we.
Speaker 4: Started talking about music, So I hope that was all right?
Speaker 3: What's your what's your cologne? What's it? What's your uh? And man, what's what's your cologne? Man?
Speaker 4: Man, I rocked some DRAKR in the water.
Speaker 1: Hey, don't take my don't take.
Speaker 3: I remember everyone your car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I was at your car for like heavy thirty five years of my life.
Speaker 3: Heavy, I mean heavy, heavy, heavy.
Speaker 1: And you know they say, oh, your car smells a little different than anybody on everybody.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It smelled pretty similar to the to my favorite ups guy.
Speaker 4: You know, like, why was your your cologne?
Speaker 2: My dad?
Speaker 1: Ah, your pop My dad was like he used to put it over like his gold chain.
Speaker 4: So then his gold chain smelled like it's start.
Speaker 1: With one spray on each side of the neck, on each shoulder, yeah, on each chest, you know, stomach, stomach pants.
Speaker 3: Wow, it was it was assistant. Oh yeah, he had a sister. Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: It was almost like you were putting a bug repelling, you know, like like like it was like you were just spraying bug off, you know, just covering everything.
Speaker 3: You know. So he passed. It was like he passed down the bottom.
Speaker 1: And even right now, like even right now, my my my daughter will go hang out with my dad and she would come back smelling like your car. Like Jesus, Dad, it's a little less when you hang out with my daughter, please, But yes, I used to do your car for a very long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back then, I used to do Eternity cologne.
Speaker 3: Did you ever.
Speaker 4: Eternity was my joint?
Speaker 3: Did you ever do c K one? I didn't know, because because you you were a recentable human being. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Why because one came in and I was like, that was what all the kids were wearing. I'm like, I gotta do c K one because he's Eire that in Abacambria and Fish. I never did it my coming Fish and I crossed over to that place. Yeah, but but yeah, K one was another one.
Speaker 3: That people were really into.
Speaker 2: My my my brothers were really into cologne. I mean they they did like Pierre Cardan.
Speaker 4: Obsession, remember obsession.
Speaker 3: A lot of my friends cool water, cool water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, Snoop mentioned that in the song yeah Aramis Cologne.
Speaker 3: Do you remember Aramis?
Speaker 2: I mean these are like hardcore like eighties Colone. Yes, you know, yes, but my brother's really heavy into it. But no, man, it was like it was I was. I was Eternity for a while.
Speaker 1: Well, c K one, Cavin Klein had that c K one. Yeah, and then Tommy Hill figure had had a thing that everybody is everybody that were the Tommy Hill figure that would spray, They tell me her figure cologne two?
Speaker 3: What about Uh let me see, oh hair product? What what did you put in your hair? Hair product?
Speaker 1: If you're gonna ask me if I did test float is, the answer is that.
Speaker 3: You finished this. Hey, we're all talking about my hair trauma?
Speaker 4: What is?
Speaker 3: What is that float is? Today's float is is? Today's float is?
Speaker 1: Is like this kind of oil wax thing you know that you like put in your hair.
Speaker 3: It's like a pummy, but it's more like grease.
Speaker 1: It's like a VAPORU Like yeah, like look, that's that's what it is, is right there?
Speaker 4: Oh no, I've never seen that before.
Speaker 3: What is it like?
Speaker 1: It's like like it's straight up mon take hard, straight up month And what was nuts about it? It's like, as you know, the summers are are very top for l A and I would put that in my hair and just trying to slick it back, you know, just put that shine thing. And I had like the little the little combs that will cover your hand, you know, around it, and then you just do this and.
Speaker 3: Come you know, noon gets really hot. Oh start ripping, starts.
Speaker 1: Melting through your forehead, you know, and the forest starts breaking out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, test flood was I I learned that from my homemies. From you. Yeah, my homies did thress floating is all the time. Man.
Speaker 4: It must have been like an l a thing. I don't I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know it was hard in Chicago. Uh Aquinet hairspray. Did you guys do Aquinet here?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you something I remember, Like we used to have to take the bus, and you know, Chicago is crazy cold.
Speaker 4: You know, sometimes you're taking.
Speaker 3: The bus it's like below zero.
Speaker 4: And the girls I remember the girls, like.
Speaker 2: Their hair would be wet and they put Aquinet hairspray and they get out in the cold and it would freeze the Aquinet hairspray on their hair.
Speaker 4: See you would just see the white from the hairspray on your hair. I kid, you know, man, they'd be there like.
Speaker 2: In the bathroom it's big like smokel Did you ever do moose? No? I was more of just sort of like a like a hairspray dude, you know, like you know I had a mullet, you know.
Speaker 3: Hairspray, hair spray. Yeah, a mullet. No, I never had a mullet. I had a bowl cut.
Speaker 5: I used to rock a mullet hard, hard, I mean even I even had like lines on the side. You were way cooler like me, dog, mullet like you know, dog, you were drying here in the front way cooler than me.
Speaker 4: Bro. You never you never had a mullet. You were a busboy and you never had a mullet. Come on, I.
Speaker 3: Was a buzzboy in the valley.
Speaker 4: Bro, you didn't have a mood Latino.
Speaker 3: No, I did not. I did not. I did not party. What is it? No, man, I had my dad.
Speaker 1: It was making sure that my my super cut haircut was was conservative enough to stay out of trouble.
Speaker 4: And your car mullets went together. Many did.
Speaker 1: It was like that and Ups trucks, you know, Ups.
Speaker 4: Did your pop rock and mullet.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: He was the guy that was like.
Speaker 1: Blow drying every morning, right, blow drying, blow dry, and blow dr blow dry, blow dry, blow d and then locked in. Well he would blow dry and it would just stay the way you know he wanted.
Speaker 3: It was he awkward at hairspray.
Speaker 1: Uh no, no, but but I, uh, what did I do my hair is like I have the mixture of my dad in my mom's hair. It's very thick and it's a lot of it. So I have to put so much product in my hair. So like there's tons of pictures from my twenties where I just have.
Speaker 3: Literally glue, like just glue put it and just slick it all the way back.
Speaker 2: And it was like, you know, I remember I remember going, I remember being out on you and I got an award one time, and I remember you had your hair like that.
Speaker 3: I'm not thinking like.
Speaker 4: Oh man, that looks cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah it looked like, uh, you look very look back at my field, so like you no, no, you look very regal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look at thanks you had.
Speaker 4: A regal and then you had to shut on.
Speaker 1: And I always got I always kind of identify the slick hairbag look with like with like, I mean I'm elegant.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like I just like and I had a macy suit, you know, I go to Sears and Macy's to get my suits at the first couple of years of my career because I didn't have it was in pain like that, you know. So so I was just like my hair back and be like I am elegant now quite dapper, yeah, quite dap.
Speaker 3: Where did you get your socks? Sucks?
Speaker 1: Let me ask you why? Let me tell you why. I tell you why because we used to order the store and like buy the packs.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah at Costco?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, like like Hanes yeah, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was like it was because did you ever get did you ever get closes at Costco?
Speaker 3: Yeah? The socks? Yeah, for sure? For sure, socks and underwear from Costco?
Speaker 2: Oh man, Yeah, I mean to this day, like my kids, that's like Christmas present for them.
Speaker 1: Even there, my mom still puts that in the bag under that Christmas.
Speaker 3: Come on, you could always use new underwear. My dad gives me colognes every year or too.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: So your car was does he still give you your car?
Speaker 3: Doesn't give me a dru card anymore? You know, he just wants to switch it up? So what is okay? What does he give you?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What is?
Speaker 3: What does he deem as?
Speaker 1: Like like he goes and gets like a Chanelle one and I'm like that, like that's too expensive, Like I'm never gonna wear cologne, you know. Yeah, I'm like nsis or something like that. Yeah, where do you get a suit. If you're like I'm to get a suit, where do you get it from?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 2: I find that like John Varvados fits me well. Uh, I think that brand fits me well across the board, you know, whether it's like a leather jacket.
Speaker 3: Or a very great cuts. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so I've been I've been sticking to them.
Speaker 3: What else did I get?
Speaker 2: I got a yeah? No, I mean I think done primarily. Uh the show the show I just did h on CBS Bowl. All of my suits were all John Barbados.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you look great, you look very well. Thank you, very apportunity. I feel like they used Moose in your hair and that show, No, no what they where they use?
Speaker 4: Michael was my was my hair guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he did use Moose. He used to blow dry it and he had a very specific system in place for it and he was he was awesome, had a great, great makeup and hair team.
Speaker 1: But it's interesting to think about, you know how much her fashion has changed?
Speaker 3: Yeah, every decade's the thing?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And for me I wear the same thing every.
Speaker 3: Like what like? What?
Speaker 1: So what would be a good suit for you? What's your what's your goal to for suits? I I think Paul Smith.
Speaker 3: It's a good one. Fish me really well. I don't have to alter a lot of that stuff.
Speaker 4: I love how he does all the different colors inside.
Speaker 3: But I like, like, you know, you do the socks too, do you do? You do you rock? His socks are cool? But you know, I hate to but let's keep it real. I'm gonna keep it very real.
Speaker 1: The Postman socks don't hold well, what do you mean, like like you bring it up over here and they don't have that rick?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't. They don't have a crip. You know, it's like a way.
Speaker 1: It's almost like the fabric is so than it's so like right, you know, delicate. It's just doesn't I love the prints right of the socks. They're really different, but it's just like it's just like falls apart. Yeah that's a good that's a good brand.
Speaker 3: But I do like I do like I'm a big double L guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is the three piece joint that you had on the previous episode?
Speaker 3: It was pretty freaking cool. Yeah, So I do I do I do that? Is it more casual or is it it's like in between? Right, it's in between.
Speaker 1: It's it could be formal enough if you want to go to an evening thing, but like also formal and casual enough that you can wear it all day to like you know, like meetings here and there a stuff.
Speaker 3: So that's I really like that stuff. Where do you get that?
Speaker 1: I mean because you go to they have their own store right like that, Like you can do it online too, but I go to the store on Melrows. They have a really cool and those guys are awesome. They really hope me out when I get there. Yeah, and but yeah, I like Double Rrel because it's like you're trying but you're not.
Speaker 3: You know, it's very comfortable and the way they do.
Speaker 4: Their stores right, they really know how to sort of.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So for those who were don't know what Double L is is, it's a sub collection.
Speaker 3: Of of Ralph Lauren.
Speaker 1: But it is kind of like a little bit more old American cowboy, a little bit more vintage old school formal soldier, like you know, it's like very yeah, like old school Americana, you know, like yeah, really cool stuff.
Speaker 3: Why do you like that? I just have never seen people like me wear that, and I thought it was such a.
Speaker 4: Unique look classic Americana.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like west it was a little western and a little things or whatever, and I just thought it was really unique and really fine. And uh and I was right now, people, you know, right, but but you know, it's also hard to find sometimes, you know, because there's no stores anywhere, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, that's interesting what you just said.
Speaker 2: About the people who look like you normally don't wear that type of stuff. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's it's and I think, I guess, I guess when it comes to like when it comes to fashion, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I I don't know.
Speaker 1: You know, when I was very young, I started thinking I have to dress like who I want to be. Yeah, you know so, but I didn't have a sense of fashion, right, so I will be dressing like in quotes, who I wanted to be. And I just got a suit at Seris. You know, look it was just like my se because.
Speaker 3: It because it's so chip.
Speaker 1: It was like, you know, it's like my first suit that I took to my first up front when I got my first show, was was from Seis.
Speaker 3: For the Fox upfront. Yeah oh yeah. People were like, this is a nice suit where you get it? And I'm like, hello.
Speaker 2: They opened the they opened the Insights series exactly like it literally is a serious series brand.
Speaker 4: No style and fashion.
Speaker 2: You know, when you when you grew up in Chicago and you grew up in the inner city, style is everything everything, man, it determines you your personality.
Speaker 1: But there was so much influence then, so everybody could follow a stream.
Speaker 3: LA was all over the place. Yeah it was it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was all over the place, like you know, if it depended on where you lived, you know, like tell me, I'll figure how to moment.
Speaker 3: Abricambia had a moment and.
Speaker 1: Then like you know, and there was like the Dicky generation you know, and that kind of stuff. You know, so it's like then Diesel came where all the jeans and everyone's wearing Diesel jeans all the time.
Speaker 3: Did you ever wear at Hardy?
Speaker 1: No, I wasn't that festive? Yeah, Ed Hardy there is definitely not not me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just couldn't do the Ryanstones Ryanstone jeans, you know, like I just couldn't do this, you know, yeah, I mean no dis but no, no, No, some people were them and they you know, they definitely you know, they like their v Nex, you know, they like.
Speaker 2: Their hed You ever see that skit on SNL with with Ben Stiller, the v NEX skit where he gets arrested because his v neck is.
Speaker 1: Too No, no, no, everybody was about to check out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what was big in Chicago, you know at that time. You know what's crazy is that it's all coming back now. I just saw Pharrell wearing or even even Kendrick Lamar at the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Like flared the bell bottoms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bell bottom jeans with the with the with the buffy leather jacket. Really cool look, by the way, I really liked Yeah he was wearing so so, you.
Speaker 4: Know, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I tell you my two sons, uh, you knows, as they were growing up, they would see photos of me in the nineties and like, and all they did was.
Speaker 3: Make fun of me.
Speaker 2: Man made fun of my my hairstyle, made fun of my clothes.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, dad, you look so nineties. Look at your curtain hair. You know they you know that style, like boy, Yeah, they would call that.
Speaker 2: The curtain hairstyle because it looked like a crude Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then and then cut too. My son has a curtain hairstyle.
Speaker 2: Now he's dressing exactly like I dressed in the nineties, And I'm like, well, hold on a second, Like all these years you made fun of me, and now it it's the style now there.
Speaker 3: You know, that's cool.
Speaker 4: But you see Kendrick wearing sort of like.
Speaker 3: I mean, all that retro thing is back.
Speaker 1: You know, everybody boycotted it during the time it was popular, and now it's coming back.
Speaker 3: As this trend. The nineties are bad everybody.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've seen so many of my my nephew's friends, you know, wearing literally nineties clothes, right, vintage nineties clothes like they're brand new.
Speaker 2: Did you when you did the nineties show? Was that part of like were they that specific when you did that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, No, they really authentically. I mean our stuff was vintage clothes from the nineties.
Speaker 4: So did you find it you were wearing stuff like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I went with like a more of like a richerd gear, you know, kind of the Richard direction nineties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was doing nineties affairs Richard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like high like high waste, like high wasted pants, you know, and like the puffy little code and you know.
Speaker 2: Right right, that's a good that's a good point of reference. Is that your point of reference? You were doing the show.
Speaker 1: Roughly because I've never seen someone like me wear the richerd gear. By the way, also, I like to I like to point out that Richard Years making a heroic comeback into pop culture.
Speaker 3: I just watched him on the on the Agency Agency. God is so good. He was born to play a boss bro, he was.
Speaker 4: He always killed, you know. I watched that show and Ichael, damn, Richard, where you been man?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like we missed you man. Yeah, I feel a little wobbed like.
Speaker 1: And I've been seeing him in some interviews and he's like very very he's got opinions. He's really sharing his mind, and I respect that he's you know, he's coming out here and and saying his mind.
Speaker 3: It's it's awesome. It's awesome. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe this is a really good opportunity to ask all of the fans out there that, you know, if there's topics, there's things you guys wanted to discuss or dive into anything from his career or you know, ideals and stuff like that. Values so you really dive into. But there's tons of pop culture to explore. So absolutely thank you for sitting with us today. And that's we went into a This was like a magazine flipping through magazines and you went through you then adds also you know well, thank you everyone and see you in the next episode. This is Wilmer Valdorama, Freddi Rodriguez and you just chatting with those amigos.
Speaker 2: Peace. Dose Amigos is a production from WV Sound and iHeartMedia's Michael Through That podcast Network, hosted by Me, Freddie Rodriguez and Wilmrivaldorama.
Speaker 1: Those Amigos is produced by Aaron Burlson and Sophie Spencer Zabos.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Wilmrivalderama, Freddie Rodriguez, Aaron Burlson, and Leo Klem at WV Sound.
Speaker 1: This episode was shot and edited by Ryan Posts and maxed by Sean Tracy and features original music by Madison Devinport and Helo Boy Our cover.
Speaker 2: Our photography is by David Avalos and designed by Deny Holtz Claw and.
Speaker 1: Thank you for being a third amigo today. I appreciate you guys always listening to Those Amigos.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from My Heart, visit the our Heart Radio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 3: See you next week.