Speaker 1: Also media, Welcome, Dick It Happened Here a podcast where we're bringing Shitty Mayor one Day back to celebrate an incredibly special occasion, which is the unbelievably funny federal indictment of what New York Mayor Eric Adams with me talk about. This is Garrison Davis, is James Stout and and we have a New York expert, our fellow trade unionist, Yeah, Joey pat who works on what we Love and Afterlives.
Speaker 2: Joey, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you for having me. Excited to be here. I hope I can. I can provide some insight to New York City and everything that's been happening lately.
Speaker 4: The Eric Adams news really is kind of the most positive piece of duce that we've had the past month.
Speaker 2: It's been a really bad it's keeping me going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like I gotta say I found out the news of the indictment. I was at like a gay bar near me, like at a like queer Pool event, and like everybody got the news at the same time, and it.
Speaker 2: Was one of the funniest.
Speaker 3: Ways to learn that Eric Adams has been a yacht was that was the like the most joy I've seen from a from a group of New Yorkers in a while.
Speaker 2: What a beauty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so I want to I want to open the floor up to Eric Adams stories. But first I need to complain about the fact that so I have I have long as a proud Chicago Wan who has now fled Chicago for Portland. I have long made fun of New York for being a Tier two Chinese city that thinks that it's the greatest city in the world. And then I learned they didn't have trash cans, which pushed this at like, this is not even like a Tier five. This is a level of trash collection that you see in like rural HOOBEI like, what the fuck Britain.
Speaker 2: The United Kingdom where we got rid of trash cans too?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's not true though, because luckily Eric Adams didn't make the trash cans.
Speaker 2: It's just what is going on.
Speaker 3: The first American city to ever think of this idea. I'm for context. I am also in a unique position here because I'm from Chicago, and yeah, oftentimes get my friends and family that still live in Chicago confused as to why I live out here. I do love New York. I I it is a great city to live in. But these are the kind of moments we have where I'm like, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I can't. I can't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I honestly, And then.
Speaker 1: Think about this.
Speaker 2: Eric Adams stuff too.
Speaker 1: It's like the stuff he's so, there's gonna be a second federal indictment with more people in it, but the first one it's kind of brush league shit by Chicago standards.
Speaker 2: Like like if you compare this.
Speaker 1: To like like Rob Lagoyevitch trying to sell off, like trying to sell Obama's Senate seat, It's like, okay, yeah, I've been saying New York wants.
Speaker 3: To be Chicago. They're starting a second city here too. Oh no, No, the ads in the subway and every time takes away a part of my soul. Like I'm like, you cannot claim that that is us.
Speaker 4: It just means there's gonna be even more insufferable people.
Speaker 2: This this sucks. Yeah, a second second city has hit the Towers. Another great Rag Adams moment. Eric Adams hit the Towers.
Speaker 4: No no, but he had he had this great interview where he was asked to summarize like, what.
Speaker 2: Makes New York great in one word?
Speaker 4: And he gave the answer, h New York, which is two words, and that explained it's because it's the only city where you can wake up and have nine to eleven happen and also open up a small business. One of the one of the funniest Eric Adams moments I've ever seen till until he was indicted, which is now the new funniest Aracatams moment, which we should probably get to because this is not a short indictment.
Speaker 5: Wait are we're doing all Eric adams favorite moments yet? Because I have a fat we got run?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Mine?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Do you want to hit his with yous? Jerry?
Speaker 3: Mine's definitely. I think the ongoing saga of just whether or not he's a vegan and the fact that he repeatedly claims he's a vegan and thinks that vegan.
Speaker 2: I didn't know this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a vegan. He talks a lot about how he's a vegan and all the health benefits and how it's he has a lot of weird like beliefs about health and stuff that have come out over his you know, mayor old run. But apparently he's not actually a vegan because he's been seen like eating chicken on camera and like that the weird video of his apartment when he was running. That was the Brooklyn apartment that he may or may not live in, Like there was like some sort of meat product in the fridge or something. There's been a whole thing about how like he maybe and he's like admitted that he's like eaten meat sometimes, Like he's like, oh, well, you know, I'll just have like a little nibble, like it's it's it doesn't count. Chicken is a vegan?
Speaker 4: What do you mean he identifies as a vegan vegan.
Speaker 5: He's like some kind of like like sixteenth century Catholic you know where they have all these weird exceptions for fish and like right right, that's.
Speaker 3: A repent and then whatever to confass and and then he's getting he gets you get a card back.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. That's a good one. Yeah, Jewey's Jewi's kind of mentioned mine.
Speaker 1: But the fact that he definitely is from New Jersey, which I think is what allowed him to use a trash can, Like he definitely does not live in New York.
Speaker 2: There's there's no way, like.
Speaker 5: My favorite also relates to him not living in New York, which is when Kurb staked out his New York apartment and he came back once parked illegally and then caused a traffic jam by parking illegally so bad that he couldn't put out of the parking. He wasn't in a parking space. He was in someone's driveway. So then he proceeded to drive along the sidewalk, and they like filmed him doing this, and he confessed to doing it and was like it was a terrible mistake, just an incredible sequence of events.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe that is like a New York mayor who can't drive, Like, I guess that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Like yet refuses to use mass transit.
Speaker 3: Oh God, that's true. That's true. He does hate public transportation.
Speaker 2: God, you can just send more cops in the subway. That'll fix it, all right, Oh God, let's uh yeah, let's let's let's get into this. Get start.
Speaker 1: So okay, So the things here is being indicted for are effectively okay. So he took a bunch of different bribes in different ways. So he took I guess there's two broad categories of bribes that he took, which is the bribes that are campaign donations that he funneled through straw donors, which is the thing where you like there's like limits on how much money you could donate to someone, right, So what you do is you find like ten people and you give them all two thousand dollars so they can still donate it even though it's the money from you. This is unbelievably legal. And the second type is him just accepting unbelievable amounts of like gifts and stuff from a Turk shairliner. Now, the interesting thing about this is that you would expect this is the thing that started when he was a mayor, but like, no, he was, so he was. He was the borough president of Brooklyn for a bunch of years before he became mayor.
Speaker 2: And this is like as.
Speaker 1: Burro president is when he really started doing all of this random, weird corruption stuff.
Speaker 2: He's been doing this for almost like ten years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I kind of love this too, because the like Brooklyn borough president, it's kind of a fake job, like you don't really do anything. And I love the fact that he still managed to find ways to be corrupt and his like fake.
Speaker 2: Job that he had.
Speaker 1: It's stunning, Oh, because I'm going to read starting with the indictment a bit. By smuggling their contributions to Adams through US based straw donors, Adams oversees contributors defeated federal laws that served to prevent foreign influence on US elections.
Speaker 2: Wealth.
Speaker 1: The individuals evaded laws designed to limit their power over elected officials by restricting the amount of money one person could donate to a candidate, and businesses circumvented New York City's ban on corporate contributions by fundeling the donations the multiple employees, frustrating a law that cc reduce corporate power in politics. Adams increases fundraising by accepting these concealed illegal donations at the cost of giving a secret patients undue influence over him that the law tries to prevent. So this is really funny because so there's three different illegal like things that he's done, like three shildo owners. So like there's like there's three kinds of campaign contributions you can't do. It's like corporations one person there's like limits and how men watch an individual person could donate and you can't get you can't get donations from like people not from the US, and he managed to both individually and in the same scheme violate every single one of these laws.
Speaker 2: It's it's shitty, widely incredible. I guess I would like to learn more.
Speaker 4: I mean, at some point, and I'm sure we'll get into it as how like explicit this whole like Turkish funding really is like extremely.
Speaker 2: About it. Yeah, I'm sure we'll get to this.
Speaker 5: It's when they're like, hey, Eric, you're not going to say anything about the Median genocide au that Tony didn't happen, bro, don't mention the genocide.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we'll get to that.
Speaker 1: So Eric Adams, the defendant, also saw and received other improper benefits from some of the same co conspirators who fundised shchra altonations to his campaign. In particular, a senior official in the Turkish diplomatic establishments henceforth Turkish official who facilitated many Chral donations to Adams, also arrange for Adams and his companions to receive free or discounted travel on Turkey's national airline quote the Turkish Airline, which is owned a significant part by the Turkish governments, to destinations including France, China, Sri Lanka, India, Hungary, and Turkey itself. The Turkish officials and other Turkish nationals further arrange for Adams and his companions to receive, among other things, free rooms at opulent hotels, free meals of high end restaurants, and free luxurious entertainment well in Turkey.
Speaker 2: So this is all very very explicit.
Speaker 3: He's got wanderlust, you know, supposed to be like a travel blogger like Girley, like doing tiktoks and you know, unfortunately he had to become mayor.
Speaker 5: So yeah, a bond of log forster.
Speaker 3: Mayor starting to do the job he wants to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very tragic. Okay.
Speaker 1: So actually the first thing Turkish influence thing that he did. I actually, this is weirdly the one part of this they don't have a problem with. One of the big things he was trying to get was there's a giant like uke Turkish consulate building that they opened kind of recently, and a big part of this was getting permission to open the Turkish consulate without a fire inspection, so that air to one could visit for like the opening of the consulate and look, okay, we already can't fly to Turkey because of a public support for the Curtis Free movement. So like, I'm just gonna say this, I am entirely okay with this. I am I don't give a shit if they don't do fire inspections.
Speaker 4: I'm okay with heir to one being in a non fire safe building.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, like fuck him.
Speaker 1: Like, if the guy who burned hundred and fifty people alive and Cindy wants to fucking burn a death in his own consulate, then let him. Like I Jennie widely don't give a shit about this. She did threaten the job of like the New York Fire Department's fire inspector, which kind of sucks, but like, if everyone wants to burn to death in his death trap, let him do that.
Speaker 2: This is one of the.
Speaker 3: Text conversations that done. Was was uh, I don't know if leaked is the right word, but yeah, like cause it was.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: They were like there was something they said to where they were like, we've done a lot for you. Now it's time for you to do something for the Republic of Turkey. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll get we'll get to that.
Speaker 1: This is yeah, yeah, yeah, it's so good town shit I was like, all right. After Eric Adams, a defendant, first travel to Turkey in twenty fifteen, the Turkish official introduced Adams to Turkish Airlines general manager in New York City area in twenty sixteen and twice in twenty seventeen. Again, this is all before he US Mayor Adam solicited and accepted free and heavily discounted luxury air travel from Turkish Airline as part of Turkish officials' efforts to gain an influence over Adams on three separate trips. Basically, like he's getting first class tickets from all of these people. It's so much money worth of stuff, like just like thousands of dollars. The exact totals, like all of the gifts he took from Turkish Airlines's like one hundred and it's like one hundred and thirty one thousand something dollars.
Speaker 3: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, So like any time I read a paragraph of this, just assume that in between like whatever paragraph I'm reading and the stuff I didn't read before it, he's taken another ten thousand dollars of free like first class rides a Turkish airline.
Speaker 5: It is a blessing in disguise, I will say that I will never see Eric Adams on a flight because I cannot fly.
Speaker 2: It was Turkish Airlines. That's true.
Speaker 1: There's a very funny line about this, because the Turkish airline provided free travel benefits were tens of thousands of dollars to Eric Adams, the defendants. He flew the Turkish airline even when doing so was otherwise inconvenience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is fucking correct.
Speaker 1: For example, for example, the July in August twenty seventeen trip, Adam's partner was surprised to learn that Adams was in Turkey when she had understood him to be flying from New York to France. Adams responded in a text message quote, transferring here you know first off is always in istanbul spelled very wrong and lowercase is true. When adams partner later inquired about planning a trip to the Eastern island Chile, Adams repeatedly asked her whether Turkish airlines could be used for these flights, requesting her to call Turkish Airlines to confirm they did not have roots between New York and Chile.
Speaker 2: Why would Tish airlines have a flight from New York?
Speaker 5: Oh my God, which spits part of the Greater Ottoman Empire.
Speaker 4: You know, I would take bribes from Air Canada, but I'm also not running for mayor.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well you could run for Bira president. That's true. That's true. I could. I could become.
Speaker 4: Elected the mayor of southful That is very doable. Every Similarly, lots of the mayors of South Fulton have had very odd kind of controversies. So what I'm saying is South Fulton is basically Georgia's version of New York.
Speaker 2: New York is a South Fulton of America. Yeah. Have you guys seen a video clip of him. Every city he goes to, he says, like, New York's the city of America. Yeah, crazy, It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Stambul of America.
Speaker 2: So this is all very funny. But this is all happening.
Speaker 1: All of the tens of thousands of dollars at this point of money that he's taking from Turkey is all happening at a period where Turkey is butchering Kurds across the Middle East, like his first trip there. And this is all again well before his mayor while he's like Brooklyn Borough president is four months before the fire bomber of that city that I talked about where they were again, they burned one hundred and fifty civilians alive in fucking building. If I'm remembering correctly, I'm pretty sure they killed. I'm pretty sure they burned the city council alive. That's just the stuff in Turkey, and like we have covered extensively on this show, Turkey's like drone warfare program. There's the whole thing of it. Has been long suspected that the Turkish government was aiding ISIS during the period because they were like using basically using them as a proxy to fight like Kurtish Freedom Movement forces in Syria.
Speaker 5: I think you could definitely say that, like former ISIS fighters are now fighting for the Turkish against the Kurds in the Iraqi Curtis done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've said that before.
Speaker 1: The Kurds will tell you that former I know David Graebery at the Apologies you spent actually who who smuggled a bunch of drone parts too, had a story about how we soccing people like yeah, they would like they would pick up ISIS fighters and they would look at their possessions and they every single one of them as Turkish passports. They all have like Turkish I did shit. It's like, hm, I wonder where these people came from.
Speaker 5: Even like I'll just say that I have spoken to some people who were part of the fight against ISIS who discovered the blank Turkish passports when taking like ISIS buildings and ISIS strongholds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's I mean, just this is a period of even by the standards of Turkey, like unbelievable Turkish violence.
Speaker 2: This is their their invasion of Syria.
Speaker 1: And you know, this is the period in which Eric Adams decides that he's going to become a nation to the Turkish state. And so obviously, like he lies about this to the governments because again you're not allowed to do this. There's a bunch of very funny schemes that he does. As Brooklyn Borough President, Adams employed a scheduler henceforth known as the Adams Scheduler, who pointed it who manages appointments, meetings, and other official events. Despite her status as a New York City employee, the Adams Scheduler was used by Adams to perform personal tasks for him, such as collecting rent at a Brooklyn property he owned. Adams also assigned the scheduler to pay various expenses for him, after which Adams would reimburse the scheduler in cash. In twenty seventeen, Adams sent a series of emails to the scheduler directing the scheduler to pay for the free twenty seventeen flights he and his companions had already taken on the Turkish air Line, but the emails provided inconsistent explanations. In some Adams suggested that the Adams schedulers should pay using Adam's credit card, while on others, Adams claimed to have left cash in an envelope for the Adams scheduler to send to the Turkish air Line.
Speaker 2: Ah, it's that's how you pay. That's how I pay for all my fights. Cash. It an envido.
Speaker 1: This is how we tried to cover up for the fact that he's not paying for these flights. And he'll pay like six hundred dollars for a thread dollars ticket, but he's like sending envelopes to his scheduler to hand to the Turkish air Line.
Speaker 5: A man who was a call doing an absolutely terrible job of covering his own ass.
Speaker 1: You know who else is taking bribes from the Turkish government. We cannot It's not our products and services. It's it's someone else's products and services. Ours are all fine. We are back. So there's actually another paragraph of that part. For example, on November twenty fifth, twenty seventeen, Adam sent an email to the scheduler saying that with respects to the July trip quote, I left you the money for the International airline and did an envelope and your top gest drawer please send it to them. So the funny one about this, right, So he's supposed to have this like cash dead drop to pay for the island tickets. Then he just like never does it because the tickets are free. So he just like stops covering his tracks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, amazing, and doesn't use signal.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's really sounding okay. So what is Turkish government getting from this in return for travel benefits the Turkish official provided or range In about twenty fifteen or twenty sixteen, Eric Adams, the defendant, granted a political request from the Turkish official prior to Adam's twenty fifteen travel to Turkey, which Adams knew and disclosed to the one of the monitoring agencies have been funded by, among other entities, the Turkish Consulate, the Turkish Airline in three separate municipalities in Turkey. Adams maintained a relationship with a Turkish community center in Brooklyn. In or about twenty sixteen, the Turkish official told Adams that the community center was affiliated with a Turkish movement that was hostile to Turkey's government, and that if Adams wished to continue receiving support from the Turkish government, Adams could no longer associate with the community center. Adam zach wies Scott, I wonder who it was, See, Okay, so I looked into this. No one that I've seen doing reporting on this seems to know which center this was. But but this has to be a Goulinist thing. Yeah, So to people who didn't spend all of their childhoodmired in the intpt of Turkish politics, Airedwan's the current rule of Turkey, Gulam was like one of his old old allies. But they had this giant falling out and a huge part of what everyone was doing in the twenty tens was like trying to purge all of the Gulanists from everywhere. Like there was this whole scheme running I think through Michael Flynn, where Turkey was trying to get Trump to like the Gulan's like in like a compound and I think Virginia or something, and Turkey was trying to get Trump to like raid the compound and send them to Turkey, which didn't happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that line's up with the coup. They are twenty sixteen coup, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you know, it's always been unclear to me exactly how much influence these people have. But the one thing I will say is that so I had a classmate in college who was in Turkey for a long time, and their line about it was like, yeah, I don't know, like how much of this sort of Gulist deep state shit is true. But also there were like gulanest people who you could go to who had like all the answers to like state exams if you want to be willing to get in bed, whether they would just give him all the answers, So, like, you know, they weren't not a part of this, And I'm pretty sure what happened here was that Adams was like cutting off all contact with these people because this this is part of the goolan Ist split, I'm not one hundred percent sure because there are multiple community centers in Brooklyn, in Brooklyn like Turchimuni centers in Brooklyn, but I'm about eighty percent sure that's what happens. So that's like one of the first direct influence things. Okay, so he's doing the influence peddling stuff, right, He's doing his partially through the airlines. And then also he's just taking a bunch of legal fundraising money.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 1: On July twenty second, twenty eighteen, the same day as this fundraising event, the Adam staffer and the promoter discussed by text message a possible trip by Adams the Turkey. The promoter stated, in part, fundraising Turkey is not legal, but I think I can raise money for your campaign off the record. The Adam stafford inquired, how will Adams declare that money? The promoter responded, he won't declare it or will make the donation. Do an American citizen in the US a Turk, I'll give cash to him in Turkey. We'll I'll send it to an American. He will make the donation to you. The Adam staffer replied, I think he won't get involved in such games. They might cause a stink later on, but I'll ask anyways. The Adam Stafford then asked how much do you think would come from you? The promoter responded max one hundred k. The Adam Stafferd wrote, one hundred k. Do you have a chance to transfer that here? We can't do it while Eric is in Turkey, to which your promoter replied, let's think. After the conversation, the Adam Stafferd asked Adams whether that Adam Stafford should pursue the unlawful for contributions offered by the promoter, and, contrary to the staffers expectations, Adams directed the staffer to pursue the promoter's illegal skime.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: I feel like you should know who you're working for well enough to be like, hey, this guy is offering a completely illegal fundraising scheme that we know is illegal, and I don't think my boss will take it.
Speaker 2: And then the boss turns around to me, he's.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, fuck it, raised buddy, it might cause a big stink later on.
Speaker 2: You don't say, yeah, that's wild. To be fair, it did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so explicit, and I do want to get to some some of the other text messages sooner or later, because it really just shows how like aware everyone involved is of over like what's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're doing crimes.
Speaker 3: It's literally just hey, what should I do with the crime money?
Speaker 2: The illegal crime?
Speaker 3: Have we mentioned the legal.
Speaker 1: So partially this is being run through Turkish airlines, Partially this is being run through a Turkish university, and partially this is being run through just a bunch of businessmen, some of whom are Turkish, some of them aren't. So here's like the next thing I was gonna read. Although Adams knew that Businessman one was a Turkish national who could not lawfully contribute to US elections, Adams directed the staffer to obtain the illegal contributions offered by Businessman one. Following up on this directive, Adams wrote to the staffer that business or one quote is ready to help. I don't want his help to be wasted. So they are just like unbelievably directly being like, yeah, we know this guy can't do this, but we're just going to tell him to send this money anyways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's insane how slapstick they are about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like you know, they're kind of trying to come from the tracks. I think this part of it is one of the things that I think like was one of the things that kind of went viral over this. So Adams is trying to arrange another like fifty thousand dollars contribution from a third Turkish businessman, and in the middle of this, he's saying to the staffer, quote to be on the safe side, please delete capital P, capital D. Please delete all messages you send me, Adams responded, always do. Now we don't for a fact that a bunch of these messages we're simply not deleted, considering.
Speaker 2: That you just read them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I do also think it was worth noting that some of these efforts certainly started to ramp up around his mayoral campaign, because some of these Turkish officials thought that if Adams becomes a more like prominent member in politics, he ever like runs for president, if they can gain influence over him from like pretty early on, that would be really useful for the Turkish government. That is some of like the reasoning behind this like decades long campaign like puppet Eric Adams.
Speaker 5: Maybe the Turkish government had seen Nate Silver's now infamous tweet.
Speaker 4: It will be the next Yeah, I mean it's all nights any such case, any case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, snate silver who got them to chase us around with drones last last October.
Speaker 4: He keeps getting more businessman to donate tens of thousands of dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's so funny.
Speaker 4: It's like repeatedly, he just keeps getting more and more and more.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the funniest part is that like by like guy number four, he's doing this with he's like telling the guy how to do straw donations where he's like, yeah, no, you can't donate ten thousand dollars, but give two thousand dollars to.
Speaker 2: Each of your employees and they'll do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. He's doing like instructions for each of these guys, and it's like at a certain point, like some of the early airline stuff is yes, illegal and sketchy, but like you know, it's it's just getting some nice plane tickets. By like twenty twenty one, he's just teaching them how to do like super illegal like campaign fraud.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've like committed so much, like you're just like into deep, like you can't like.
Speaker 2: What's there to do? Yeah, you know who else is in too deep?
Speaker 1: It's the products and services who control the podcasts podcast support that one. Yeah wow, wows not so much to say by the Reagan coin people.
Speaker 2: They have a very little editorial control.
Speaker 3: Are supposed to delete those tags.
Speaker 2: There are so many funny ones. He also he also is taking.
Speaker 1: Money from this Lusbek construction guy where he takes a bunch of money that like shows up at this like New York like husbig Pride event to give a speech because he took money from this like contruction guy.
Speaker 2: Did he say new York? Is he Itzbekistan of America? Honestly, he probably has.
Speaker 1: That's like, yeah, he's probably said Kazakstan by accident because he always says the wrong question giving his speech like that.
Speaker 3: My favorite moment was the video of him speaking to like the Indian group that he kept saying.
Speaker 5: Pakistani, Oh god, yeah yeah, oh dear yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that went down like a chocolate tipa. He did it like twice too. They corrected him that he kept.
Speaker 3: Doing it well, they were like gelling over him, and he said stout God.
Speaker 1: So there's another kind of funny one where he's he's getting a bunch of money from this university and he actually returns the money because his campaign is like his mayor campaign is over, but he's still going to go to prison for it because he lied to the government at where he got the money though he gave it away. Okay, so I want to start reading some of these texts so we can get into like how explicit the stuff is. On July twenty second, twenty twenty one, Adams, through the staffer, requested that the airline manager book flights to Istabul for Adams in order to conceal the favorable treatment. The Adam staffer requested the airline manager charge Adams what would appear to be a real price, Adam Stafford, how much does he owe? Please let them make a call and that will make the payments. Airline manage. It is very expensive because it was last minute. I am working on a discount, Adam Stafford. Okay, thank you, airline manager. I am going to charge fifty dollars, Adam Stafford. No, airline manager. That wouldn't work, wouldn't it, Adam Stafford, No, dear, fifty dollars? What quote a proper price? How much should I charge? A smiley face emoji, Adam Stafford. His every step is being watched right now a thousand dollars or so let it be somewhat real. We don't want them to say that he is flying for free. At the moment, the media's attention is on Eric.
Speaker 3: Amazing stuff, the smiley pairs of the tax is Briller throwing off.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 4: So he paid about like one one hundred dollars for these round trip tickets and he was upgraded to business classes. Suck at him, and in actuality these tickets would would again be like fifteen thousand dollars. And this is like the same type of stuff he was doing like eight years ago, except this time he actually is paying some money, whereas last time he did not actually fill up those envelopes with cash. Yeah, but still he's about he's about fourteen thousand short.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He also this a great one where like the staffers like, do you have recommendations on where he can go to Turkey? The airline manager, four season staffer, it's too expensive, airline manager, why does he care? He's not going to fake his name, will not be at anything either. Adam Stafford super super fun.
Speaker 2: It's so super illegal.
Speaker 3: I want to meet the person who's sending these texts yeah, so bad.
Speaker 2: It's so funny.
Speaker 3: Why is this like the cadence with which they're speaking in these texts, It's just insane.
Speaker 2: It's incredible stuff. There's some great ones. I gotta read this one.
Speaker 1: On the day the Adams fundraiser was scheduled to depart Istanbul, Adams created a message thread between himself, the Adams Fundraiser, and the airline manager, quote, he will try to help with the issue with the form he can see about a hotel or business class lounge. The manager then arranged for the Adams fundraiser, who was otherwise on an economy ticket, to have access to not only the Turkish Airlines business lounge, but also an exclusive private suite inside the lounge, complete with a bed and free food. The Turkish airline manager explained, this is our suite for VIPs and we want you to feel yourself. Two words yourself sick VIP, smiley face emoji.
Speaker 2: Fail yourself VIP. That's what we will want.
Speaker 1: At another point in the exchange, Adams wrote, quote thanks a million airline manager my brother. Which airline managers wanted anytime?
Speaker 2: Brother? Oh yes, I feel physically unwell. They just keep doing this. On the day he won the election.
Speaker 1: Like the day after, the airline manager sent the following text message, brother, congratulations, Adams responded, cannot thank you enough.
Speaker 2: So true, so true.
Speaker 4: That is good, although it's not as good as kind of the next thing when in December twenty one he was putting together his like mayoral like team for like policy advisors and his transition team, and he did not have like people from Turkey on on this list. So this air manager said, didn't. It's it's not quite blackmail, but it is certainly like bribery, saying like, hey, maybe you should put me on like your senior on your senior advisory team, and if you don't, then you're not going to get free tickets anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I want to read the exact line because it's so funny the staffer sense of the airline manager list and the airlin manager response it would suit me well to be lead or senior advisor. Two days later, the airline manager sent a message reiterating lead please plz please smiley face otherwise fifty two is empty on the way back.
Speaker 2: Seat.
Speaker 4: Oh good, oh my god, Lead pease you don't make me a lead adviser. We're not going to give you free free airplane tickets are.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's so funny. Winky face.
Speaker 4: And then I believe he did add someone onto his team.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, yeah, he was added to the Infrastructure, Climate and Sustainability Committee Transition team Jesus Christ, which the whole Sustainability Commission is just like a slush. There's another thing later where like he's like a secret meeting of like these Turkish donors and he calls it like a sustainability transition meeting, so no one will know that he's having this meeting.
Speaker 4: I mean you should read what the airline manager wrote after he was added to the Climate and Sustainability and Infrastructure Committee.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, on December twenty twenty one, the senior Turkish government official sent the airline manager a series of texts noting the airline manager's membership on Adam's Infrastructure Climate Sustainability Committe and sending.
Speaker 2: Applause about you.
Speaker 1: No, the airlineer fonded that his membership on the tradition Committee was in service of Turkey. Quote, thank you brother. We are doing our best to server country adequately. Your support gives us strength here. Thank you you were always there for us we're trying to be loyal.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. Oh wait is it?
Speaker 3: We're trying to be worthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're trying to be worthy. Yeah, we're trying to be worthy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That is so sorry. I'm trying to be worthy of you. Thank you so much for being there. Please be so good. I just like want to be worthy of you. Ericata.
Speaker 1: So by this point, I total that the Turkish airline bribes, specifically that all the benefits total one hundred and twenty three thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Seats just a general life, which is also just a small fraction of like the total amount of money he received.
Speaker 2: To be fat. That's probably like the face prices of business class tickets and lounge access, which no one actually pays for.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, because like beyond the actual airline stuff, because of like the campaign like match like a policy deals, like he received in the end, like like ten million dollars right from from like all of this whole ordeal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So so so the match funding thing basically is like there's public matching funds for like private donations for for mayoral candidates. There's like some things you have to go through, but in order to get that money, right, you have to abide by campaign finance law and all of the So all of these like straw donor bribe donations that he's getting are being are also I think it's like eight to one or something like matching funds are being matched by the government. Say you got like ten million dollars matching funds.
Speaker 4: He's not only like doing like campaign fraud by getting this like foreign influence amount of money. He's also just like stealing from from everyone else too by having all of these illegal contributions matched. Yeah, so in the end, I think he's like he's like charged with like like basically ten million dollars of like fraud.
Speaker 1: The other thing is like, like this is this is how he won the election, Like he won the election by spending an unbelievable amount of money and like that money. Who's like this like stuff that he defrauded the government for.
Speaker 5: And it's ironic that like the campaign funding matching is designed to like amplify the donations made by regular New Yorkers and not make it all.
Speaker 2: Like a super Pac game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Eric Adams thought he they made an end run around.
Speaker 4: That, and like I did not realize just because I had been keeping up with like Eric Adams news previous to this, I did not realize how often his house was getting rated by the FBI.
Speaker 1: There were so many, there's been so many, Like this is all just one angle on the like thirty five three, because there's there's so much other corruption he was doing, Like this is just the stuff they gone specifically around him for. But like basically everyone in the circle around him is like also going to prison. Like to the point where remember I was talking about the Uzbek construction guy that he donated money to. Yeah, that guy also paid off like the guy who's going to become mayor when Adams gets arrested, So like the depity mayor like also.
Speaker 2: Took money for that guy. Amazing. Yeah, so one of the worst parts of this twenty first two, the Turkish official messaged the Adam stafford noting that our Median Genocide Remembrance Day was approaching and repeatedly asking the Adam stafford for assurances that Adams would not make any statements about their Armedian genocide. Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: The Adam stafford confirmed that Adams did not make a statement about about the Armenian genocide.
Speaker 2: Adams did not make such a statement. New York, not the Yerevan of America.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So she just straight up took money from the Turkish government genocide denial for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah so that's great. That that's incredible stuff to be fair.
Speaker 4: That is that is the mainstay of current American politics.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah yeah, and it's the best fundate of all genocide denials.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, Well this erg Adam's guy doesn't seem like a doesn't seem too good. It is just fascinating to me that out of all the cities, New York is just the one city that you cannot have a normal mayor. Yeah, just like every single mayor is is weird and fucked up in like a different way.
Speaker 2: Like it's just impossible. Yeah.
Speaker 3: There was like an onion onion headline on Time that was, yeah, it's like the mayor de Blasio like, well, well well it's it's not so easy to have a not fucked up mayor or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think the exact line was, well, well, not so easy to find a mayor doesn't suck ship down.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 4: The Erroganta was one hits so much harder because he's like the law and order mayor, Like he's like you know, like like former cop, blah blah blah. He's he's the one making New York worse through all of like the fucked up police stuff. Meanwhile, he's just been doing like major crimes and having his house rated by the FBI like every other month, also having like his friend's house is rated by the FBI. Having was it like a police chief or a police commissioner who was just rated.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then the interim police commissioner they put in often the first world.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's wild stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got to talk about his phone password before we finish. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the why I want to close on is like before he goes under, like all of his staffers are getting visited by the FBI, and hey, you could tell all cops and are dumb ast shit because they all they all agreed to talk to the FBI and like lied to this, and then we're trying to like coordinate destroying the messages which the FBI got all the data from. On October sixth, twenty twenty three, FBI agents executed a search warrant for the electronic devices used by Eric Adams, a defendants. So Adams was carrying several electronic devices, including two cell phones, he was not carrying his personal cell phone, which is a device he used to communicate about the conduct described in this indictment. When Adams produced his personal cell phone the next day in response to a subpoena, it was locked, such as the device required a password to open. Adams claimed that after he learned the investigation into his contact he learned about the investigation, he changed the passwords the day before and increased the complexity of his password from four to six digits. Adams had done this, he claimed to prevent members of his staff from inrittently or intentionally deleting the contents of his phone. According to Adams, he wished to preserve the context of its phone due to the investigation. But Adams further claimed he'd forgotten the password. He just said, was unable to provide the NBA with the password that can unlock.
Speaker 2: The phone if they tried his birthday.
Speaker 4: It's the funniest argument. Yeah yeah, they like, no, no, no, I changed. I changed the password so that the information was safe and wouldn't be deleted. Also, I forgot the password.
Speaker 1: Okay, so like presumably this is encrypted, right, but like I cannot, Like, what the fuck is the FBI doing that. They can't just break into this phone, like, I mean, some phones are hard to break into, like it it is, it is true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, have struggled with iPhones for what Yes, but this is but this is Eric Adams. Yeah yeah, I mean yeah, it might be zero zero zero zero, like they ought to give it the elk on.
Speaker 2: It's dry to be honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like they've got to have some fucking like spook from the NSA that they can illegally send his phone over to.
Speaker 4: Like I'm sure they've tried Celebright. I'm sure they've tried a whole bunch of stuff. It just doesn't always work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I don't know, it makes you feel wildly better about phone security. Oh the way, this is a message about this public safety announcement. If you use a face print or a fingerprint to lock your phone, the cops can just use your face or your fingerprint to a block it, or they can get it with a warrant. But if it's like an actual number, like they can't put a gun to your head and say open it, which is the way that this would normally sort of work. Yeah, so yeah, basic security thing. So in all, Adams is being charged with simultaneously conspiracy to commit wire fraud, federal program bribery, and to receive camphree and contributions by foreign national.
Speaker 2: There's a kind of wire fraud.
Speaker 1: There's another count of solicitation of a contribution by foreign national. There's subsequently, the fourth count is the same as a third count. It's it's solicitation of a contribution by four national and the fifth count is bribery. So he's like probably going down, going down.
Speaker 2: He sounds pretty fucked.
Speaker 4: I mean, it has been interesting how much the federal government has been her cracking down on foreign influence before the selection, both with like tenant media, like a Russian foreign influence stuff like this. There's been like some of like Jimmy Dore or like orbiters that have I know, have have been getting looked into by the FEDS for like Russian foreign influence.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 4: And this is not a show where we regularly praise the actions of the fedral government. But it's always funny to see my enemies having a hard time. And I'm pray, I'm praying for that. Jackson Hinkle one which is yeah, yeah, because it's so it's so obvious, You're so obvious that he's he's absolutely getting paid by some by some forty government.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder which one this one is air to one versus the FBI, which I'm just like just chomping down popcorn and clapping like a seal watching rifles.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, destroy each other no matter what happens. I'm okay with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 5: I will repeat my position here at the end of the show that I am prepared to vote for Joe Biden on the condition that he immediately begins trading Eric Adams for Abdul Julan, who does not belong to jail Unlike Eric Adams. It'sohulan week this week, and so yeah, he shouldn't be in prison.
Speaker 2: Let him out. How do you feel about your mayor, Joey?
Speaker 3: You know, it sounds like he's he's working on some ship. He's got to figure out if he really wants you know. I see. This is the thing too, is it's like, do I want to be like, Wow, congrats to the FBI on this investigation. No. That being said, it is really funny to see this all go down. I think also just the amount of bullshit that he has done while he's in office. But both legally and over the table and under the table, and it's kind of funny to see like this meet the thing that takes him down yet other one of my favorite tweets about all this with somebody who was like, I'm sure Eric Adams all of a sudden, it's going to be uh really pro a prison reform all of a sudden, but I I hope so, you know, that would be a crazy It's.
Speaker 2: Like an abolitionist.
Speaker 3: I'm getting flashbacks person abolition arts. I'm getting flashbacks when a when a oh god, that's the same to Blasio. Uh the governor, the governor, Oh my god, former governor, like what he was having all of this shit come out and like the last thing he did in office was the legalized weed, and it was like such a like last ditch, Like fine, here, you guys go like like are we going to get something like that? Are we gonna get? Well? I guess he tried with the trash cans and people rejected that. But it's been an experience. I hope for the sake of the city that uh, you know, he faces consequences for this and it's never back in New York politics. But I guess we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not going to cheer on the FBI, but but I am pro cop on cop of violence.
Speaker 2: That's true, and that's true, and that's all this is. That's that's all this is. So that's fine.
Speaker 3: I'm pro irony. I'm pro like like you're getting got by the same like people you're bros.
Speaker 4: I am interested in what the next New York mayoral election will look like.
Speaker 3: We're bringing in Laurie Lightfoot, let's go on hat.
Speaker 4: And the small possibility that, depending on how this next election goes, we could have a Trump versus Clinton mayoral race in New York. I would love to watch.
Speaker 5: Maybe Hillary Clinton will finally make her film about the Syrian democratic forces she's been promising to make for years.
Speaker 1: I want to close on a kind of slightly more serious struggles are connected note, because the thing about Eric Adams is that he was the guy who was brought in black cop like very specifically brought in and his thing was basically to contain the twenty twenty uprising, right. He was a guy whose thing was we're bringing in the kind of revolution, We're stomping all of this stuff out, like all of the sort of like gains of anti police stuff that you'd made, all of the sort of ideological games been made. We're going to wipe all that out. And I think it is really significant that the government who is funding him is a Turkish government because if you look at the last cycle, right when so Eric Adams is starting to do this in twenty fourteen twenty fifteen, what's what's happening in Turkey in that time is that Turkey have been one of the big sites of huge uprisings. In twenty thirteen they have one of the biggest, like of that cycle of protests. So twenty thirteen is the second of the of the waves from like the Occupy twenty eleven waves, Right, there's a big wave in twenty eleven, and then twenty thirteen to second one, one of the biggest one is in Turkey. And Turkey's eventual solution to this is basically just the wholesale slaughter of the Curtish revolution that was happening. And you know, literally in twenty fourteen at the same time twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, at the same time as the Michael Brown uprising is going on, and then Baltimore goes up right at the same time that's happening. There's like these are just Kurdish uprisings in Turkey, That's where all the fire bombing happens, right, These these these things are very, very intimately connected. There's a reason why other than just sort of cartriganous corruption stuff that these that these forces are aligned with each other because the same people behind the American prison state are also the same people who are fucking backing this Turkish extermination as we've been against the Kurds, and we're going to either win our freedom together or we're going to have a thousand more fucking grek.
Speaker 3: Adams is exactly yeah. And I mean I think, like going back to what I was saying before, like the craziest thing about all this and like this is definitely something that I've kind of had to like step back and be like, all right, Like I obviously am existing within like a specific community, Like New York is a huge city. It's the lowerest city in the US, and there's lots of different smaller communities, and I was like, I feel like everybody that I know and everybody I interact with hates Eric Adams has like their own list of reasons why like he has done X Y Z thing and they're like whether it's like my friends that are teachers or like work for or just use public libraries that he has like really decided to attack and like defund for various reasons, or like friends that have had to deal with like the prison system or whatever. Or last year, I'd been working on an investigative show that was looking into a lot of the the situation at Rikers, and you know, Rikers is supposed to be closed in twenty twenty seven at a RK. Adams has really tried to push back against that, despite the fact that it's like there's a federal invested investigation into the situation there and it's not like the conditions are not good. It is an unpopular solution, you know, like most New Yorkers agree that there needs to be some other alternative than Rikers and just sending people to like literally an island. That being said, like he won the election. He won his mayoral election it which sort of like surprising. He was kind of the underdog. There were other candidates that I think people had kind of been expecting to win, and yeah, he was the law and order guy. He was coming in is supposed to be this like alternative to like the twenty twenty uprising to what was seen as this like chaos, And again, yeah, it's the irony of him getting got by its own system, getting got by the fact that like he just keeps doing crimes. He loves doing crimes, his favorite thing. And then at the same time, it's like he's caused all this damage to like individual like specific programs in the city, specific systems that were really helping people. He has spread like misinformation about migrants that have been in New York. He has been like there's just a laundry list of things that he has done that has been like insanely harmful for like various reasons. And you know what, if this is going to be the thing that's going to go down at the end of the day, this is Sabrina Carpenter apparently that also those of you who don't know, the Sabrina Carpenter Feather music video apparently was a big part of the Eric Adams indictment from kind of the more local side involving the church that she was filming at and the I'm not sure what his official position is, but like the priest who had kind of allowed her to come in and film, and then it ended up that he was demoted because if you've listened to a Sabrina Carpenter song, you can see why the Catholic Church might not be super excited about that.
Speaker 2: And then he.
Speaker 3: Decided to cooperate with the investigation since the church wasn't super happy with him. This whole thing is just there's something. It's like, there's so many aspects of this that are so crazy. If this is gonna be gonna get them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So someone's gonna do like a thirty part podcast series about this something I'm gonna listen to every single and there's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be so much more stuff that's gonna come out.
Speaker 2: That's yeah.
Speaker 4: Speaking of podcasts, Joey, do you want to plug your work for sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm right now producing a show called but We Loved, which is on Iheart's Network. It's part of our Unspoken Network, which is our LGBTQ plus kind of focus shows, and you can find that on Spotify, Apple Music, iHeartMedia, app whatever, all the places. I also previously had worked on a show called Afterlives. If you are interested in learning more about wrikers and particularly some of the policy that you know, Eric Adams himself has worked to either stop from being effective or stop from making the reforms it's supposed to be happening. Regards to the whole Wriker situation, you should check out that show. Yeah, that's That's where I'm at. You can also follow me on Twitter and Instagram at pat not Pratt. That's p A T T n O T p R A T T. People get my last.
Speaker 2: Name wrong a lot, we'll put them in the description. Yeah, yeah, Joey, thank you for coming on.
Speaker 1: And fuck I hope, I hope, I hope we all get rid of our fucking Beyers because Jesus Christ, oh God.
Speaker 3: Yah Future the Democratic Party, Lory Light put Eric Adams twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Let's go get me.
Speaker 6: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever.
Speaker 3: You listen to podcasts.
Speaker 6: You can now find sources for It Could Happen Here listed directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening.