Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it is Sunday, August twenty third.
Speaker 2: Just days ago we had the big head scratching, surprising but still exciting news Harry Megan heading back to the UK, and then we heard Megan has a new acting gig. There's an update already. This might not go well with that. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Concerns already Rhodes about them moving back, how they would be received, how the press would handle them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you had mentioned from the get go or I was excited. I was looking at things through rose colored glasses, I guess. And you were worried about Meghan Markle from the beginning, and I have to admit just reading some of the comments about her returning to acting, oh are horrific.
Speaker 1: Really, you have some in front of you, guys.
Speaker 3: Again, I can pull them up, Okay, come backlash like that kind of thing, so books real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the update here is that the gig we were told she was reportedly getting, now we're being told reportedly has already been pulled. We'll get into that more in a second. But Rother, I wanted to stop because I kept hearing these headlines that kept saying backlash, backlash, backlash, and I don't do as deep as a die sometimes on the comments from the public as you often do. I don't even know where to find them sometimes. But can you give me an idea of what kind of stuff how this was being received, that she was going to be in a show and acting again.
Speaker 3: Yes, people are just awful and I'm relieved, thanks for the good news.
Speaker 4: This is about her not getting the job.
Speaker 3: Reality is that she's infamous and that she has very little range as an actor, so they're just going after her. Then they say, this is really really tough.
Speaker 4: But people are just saying that they would refuse.
Speaker 3: To watch the show, boycott the show, that they would make sure the ratings were as.
Speaker 4: As low as possible.
Speaker 3: People are just making fun of her and calling her an actress like in her life that she's tried to put.
Speaker 4: On like just it's mean, it's mean.
Speaker 3: Not sure how she expected to be embraced by UK viewers after she globally trashed their monarchy to improve her Q score.
Speaker 1: I just I.
Speaker 3: Didn't realize how much people were just sarcastic and callous about her.
Speaker 1: That last one.
Speaker 2: I can kind of understand, Okay, I mean, in all seriousness, you were welcome into a family. I understand you had your experience, but Robes, did you have to go blast the family? I won't even talk shit about your dad on his podcast because I need to get along with him, right right, I mean just not mister Robot. I don't have anything to say. I'm just saying the point there is does she really think? And maybe this will take more time, but Robes, this was self imposed exile. They ran, they escaped from the UK, and Robes, they said some stuff about the royal family.
Speaker 1: Even if it's all true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is as a family member and tough, and what are we supposed to say? She has the right to say and all this there is some hurt, hurt feelings throwing the fact that she doesn't look like the rest of them and she has a mountain to climb. But that last comment, at least I would go okay, I can actually see why some people are just completely turned off.
Speaker 3: And it's like, just from what I'm I'm reading, people are it just seems unwilling to even reconsider what they think about her. She has no grace, she looks so awkward, she's out of place next to Harry. That kind of sounds racist right to me in and of just outside.
Speaker 4: I don't even think people realize so much why they hate her. I mean, yes, you can point.
Speaker 3: To this, but there's just this strange she has a magnet for hate. I look, I don't feel I'm curious. I understand why people are upset, but to blame her, and to not even bring Harry into it, it's like I think he gets a pass, like he's just this love sick dummy who does whatever me and old Meghan makes him do.
Speaker 4: I hate that narrative as well.
Speaker 1: But it goes it's easier to understand because he's our guy in the UK. He's our guy. Look how he's been poisoned, Look how.
Speaker 2: He's been Right, she's the outsider who came in as an outside outsider. Right, This is she's she's bringing. Are the kids going to be black?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Those are the kind of conversations she said was happening in Buckingham Palace, for God's sakes.
Speaker 3: And yet you have comments even after everybody knows all of that. This one just says I have always disliked her?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 1: And that's okay.
Speaker 2: I mean, some people just aren't a cup of tea I've just never gone on and written a comment necessarily about it. But here we go that challenge. Ro So when we heard they were moving back, we said, dear Lord Jesus, why you're immediately excited? Oh my, Archie and Lilla Beck get to hang out with Charlotte and the cousins and all this. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: I love the.
Speaker 2: Possibility of a reconciliation with the UK royal family. Love it, love it, love it.
Speaker 4: I don't know why people are against it. I understand there were hurt feelings. I am not.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it's a It might be an impossible mountain to climb to imagine that William and Kate would feel comfortable around them, knowing they write books and tell interviews.
Speaker 5: This is impossible because when you now have to you know, because we have been not comparing this in any way, but in a small, tiny way, we know what it's like to not be able to trust people around you because you know they have loose lips, because you know that they will use something against you, perhaps if you make them mad.
Speaker 3: And I believe Harry more than Megan even has proven that he's willing to do that. And so that's why could you ever invite them in and feel comfortable, let your guard down, tell them what you really think and feel.
Speaker 1: You can know.
Speaker 3: He wrote all the bad stuff that happened, So yes, on that level it, I get it. But I'm still rooting for the best possible scenario where they all can at least tolerate each other and the kids who have nothing to do with any of this have an opportunity to have relationships.
Speaker 2: Is the best possible scenario here is that all those kids can hang out with Grandpa who's.
Speaker 1: Not the great health.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and look, if.
Speaker 2: You're the grandfather, excuse me, the grandchild of the King of England, you should That is just a privilege and opportunity that shouldn't be denied to kids.
Speaker 1: I just I just is.
Speaker 4: And look, whatever you think of Megan, I don't wish. I don't. I really don't wish anyone a.
Speaker 3: Terrible life for someone who has to continually pay for something they did wrong. I hate that about our society that that just makes us all feel better about ourselves to say, shame, shame, shame. But the reality is I would love for her to see to find an acting role, to feel fulfilled, to have Harry feel like he's doing what he loves and serving others in his charitable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I hope that for them, So I guess purpose sounds great. I'm a little.
Speaker 3: Taken aback by just how people are rooting for their continue pain and suffering.
Speaker 1: That part I will never understand.
Speaker 2: The part about some people still not being crazy about these two.
Speaker 1: I can understand call for.
Speaker 3: A boycott of a show because she's on it, and to wish for its ruin and its low ratings because she's on it.
Speaker 4: That is what I don't do. What did she do to you?
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter if that's the retalities or nation of or nature of what social media has brought us. Now I don't like somebody I don't even know, I can start a campaign to actually impact that person and hurt that person and cost them a job that I don't know.
Speaker 1: We've given that power away.
Speaker 2: We are very much largely out of jobs at ABC because not because of something we did, but because of how it was viewed in the public and how it was being talked about to where companies got scared. This and that's okay, we've experienced, this happened, Should it should permitted?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, this was what day was it, babe? This was just two days ago? What was it? She got the gig?
Speaker 3: The news came out I think late Friday that she got the gig.
Speaker 4: It was like, yes, oh, one day she got the gig.
Speaker 3: The next day there was such quote intense backlash.
Speaker 4: It was reportedly okay.
Speaker 2: So the gig was supposed to be a significant one on a show called The Gentleman, which is on Netflix, which is Guy Richie's show stars Theo James. It's been on for now two seasons, but the second season hasn't started yet. Robes supposed to premiere on September third. I do believe the report was that she Megan Marco was going to have a significant role in the third season, which also hasn't even been announced yet. So this was Robes initially started with bubbling up a little bit, but then it became more and more real. Hollywood reporters quote, Megan is in advanced discussions to join Guy Richie's The Gentleman. Okay, roads a lot of people applaud it. This gives her a purpose and this also if she has something to do there. This was probably easier for her to say, okay, Harry let's go back.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was excited again. I'm shocked at how many people.
Speaker 3: Felt the exact opposite, to the point that they created a campaign of hate and it just canceled.
Speaker 4: Culture just took over.
Speaker 3: And I think the sad thing is we see these companies respond and empower these I don't know if it's the vocal minority. It sounds like maybe it was a vocal majority. But look, I don't think the majority of people right in and make comments and let their feelings be known. I think the majority of people, I do believe, are willing to give people a second chance.
Speaker 4: But because the.
Speaker 3: Folks who aren't like that, who are the vocal, who will go on and just slander and attack and threaten come companies, that they end up being wildly empowered by those companies.
Speaker 2: We will I'm not sure how much more we'll get confirmed ropes on exactly what happened behind the scenes. But this came to us initially the reports about her being a part of this show, and I think it was an Australian outlet, and then Tina Brown is the one and a lot of people might know that name. I mean, you could probably at this point she's a legendary royal watcher and journalists.
Speaker 1: In the UK and in the US ropes.
Speaker 2: You don't become editor in chief of some of the places she's been editor in chief and not have a pretty stirling reputation.
Speaker 4: That's fair to say. Yes, she's the former editor in chief of Vanity Fair.
Speaker 3: She actually revamped The New Yorker completely and co created The Daily Beast.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 3: So yes, that is she has an imprint and has influenced some of the biggest media publications in the world.
Speaker 2: But that's why people listen, and that's why we're listening now because she has now reported Robes that this offer that Megan Marco got has been pulled. I didn't realize it was Friday. We were only hearing this. Yes, that's pretty quick.
Speaker 3: Yes, I started seeing it late Friday and then and then Tina Brown puts out this on Saturday. I learned this morning that the casting of Megan Markle in season three of Guy Ritchie's Netflix series The Gentleman has been withdrawn. The backlash in the UK was so intense it became untenable to go forward. This does not bode well for Megan's acting comeback in the UK.
Speaker 2: An acting comeback, who says she wanted to act in the first place, because she told us otherwise at the essays like we were sitting down at tea. But she told Variety magazine back in twenty twenty two she is quote done. I guess never say nuver, but my intention is to absolutely not. It sounds like bro that hadn't heard much about her possibly trying to dip a toe back into acting. It seems like she was very much into her lifestyle brand building that.
Speaker 3: Yes, but things were unraveling with Netflix. They announced the end of their deal with her lifestyle brand and they made her show just a one off basically. And look, I think you and I have said similar things that we have no intention of going back into mainstream media, but if the right offer came, we would absolutely consider it, and we would absolutely potentially get back into broadcasting. But right now we don't have any we're not seeking it out, we're not looking to do it. But I think you leave the door open, and that seems like what she did. She I didn't realize this, but she's got a small cameo role. She plays herself obviously, that's what a cameo role is in this new comedy on Amazon, Close Personal Friends.
Speaker 4: It stars Jack Quaid, Brie Larson. We don't have a release date yet.
Speaker 3: But I didn't even know she had done that, But I guess that was reported a few months ago.
Speaker 2: But it sounded like she just showed up and stood there as the princess, and yes.
Speaker 3: She's dipping her toe into it, but that was maybe just that, you know, that was maybe a little crack in the door, and then this would have been obviously a much different, much bigger and really a prestigious role that she would be taking off.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This he was THEO James and the Monkey, right, We love that movie. There's other stuff he's known for, but that was the one that we are fans of. If you haven't seen it, he plays twin brothers. And there's a killer monkey toy monkey by the way, so check out if you get a chance. Did you realize your boy was in The Gentleman, the show on Netflix, Your boy Boy your favorite actor, John Carlo? Oh no, he has several episodes in that First Sea.
Speaker 4: Okay, well we have to watch that. Maybe we just have to watch.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I didn't know. When you were talking about it the other day, I said she didn't even mention it.
Speaker 4: I didn't know obviously I would have mentioned.
Speaker 2: That this was what does this do? What does this mean for the move? Does it even matter?
Speaker 1: Is this? I don't know how real was it.
Speaker 2: To her in the first place, But no matter what and how much of this was one hundred percent true or not, this is an awful, awful way of start.
Speaker 1: Robes.
Speaker 2: Days after this announcement that you're even going back as an announcement, but you got a new gig, and right after there's an announcement that it was taken it was withdrawn?
Speaker 3: Is the word's and people are celebrating that.
Speaker 1: It's the fact.
Speaker 4: Ew that's what I hate too, that's.
Speaker 2: She's not even there yet and this is just a big ugly and it's embarrassing. That doesn't feel well for her. She actually feels like maybe she had a gig, even if it's not true. God, these people feel that they now think I've been humiliated again.
Speaker 3: They think they've won and they've beaten me once again. They're they're they're they're keeping me down where I belong. That has to feel very overwhelming. No, I do I do feel for her.
Speaker 2: Yes, Robes, I feel for her now. In a way that I would have to say I was fairly indifferent. I loved their wedding, mainly because of the brother of the North Carolina passed to the black guy.
Speaker 1: But anyway, it was gorgeous, it was it's cool, it was celebratory.
Speaker 2: I love to see her mom and that Rolls Royce, this black woman from Compton rolling around in the Queen's car. I loved it, and I've been rooting for them, But Robes, there haven't been a lot of headlines that make you root for them because it's the way they complain.
Speaker 1: I'm not getting onto them.
Speaker 2: They have every right, but Robes, all the headlines were they complained about this, They accused of this. He's suing tabloids for that.
Speaker 3: They've made a whole big victim like martyr.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it might not be true, baby, but it's at least the impression, at least publicly is that.
Speaker 1: But now it's too much.
Speaker 2: It was my first thought when they were moving back making baby, Oh no, what are they going to do to this woman? She already talked about her mental health. Is she not and wanting to leave in the first place, even with the family. Then she said Kate was not necessarily kind to her.
Speaker 3: And people don't be saying bad things about Kate. This woman survived cancer. She's an amazing mother, She's the picture of perfection and everyone loves her. You cannot, she cannot. It could all be true. You cannot. You cannot say what she said.
Speaker 1: We were sharing those statistics.
Speaker 2: They do take polls on the favorability and popularity of the Royals as a whole. List of all some cousins in the middle, whatever, but top to bottom. The top two are William and Kate. The bottom two are Megan and Prince Andrew excuse me, Andrew, sorry.
Speaker 4: Andrew formally known as Prince Andrew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Robes, she's next to last in the bottom, and Kate is next to the top. You can't go after this woman that Robes. Kate could save her or tank her if she wants to.
Speaker 4: Kate could save her.
Speaker 1: She could.
Speaker 3: William and Kate are honestly the only two people who could change the fate of Harry Man.
Speaker 1: Is that gonna happen?
Speaker 2: Read that book and you tell me, But stay here, folks, when we come back. Yes, Tina Brown was the one who told us all that the gig had been taken now we're gonna read for you in just a second her big exclusive announcement that Megan had gotten a job in the first place. They here we continue on this Sunday, August twenty third, is getting word that apparently the gig that Megan Marco was getting to act has already been pulled after public backlash in the UK.
Speaker 1: Robes Tina Brown.
Speaker 2: We discussed and we've if you've worked in this business any number of years, you have come across Tina Brown. Yes, of course we have, but she did ro She's made the announcement today that the gig had been withdrawn, But I just wanted to butt it up against the announcement from yesterday that she had gotten the job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the exclusive Meghan has a job exclamation points. That was the time of the article, right, and she said there has been a fire hose of explanations for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's bombshell return to England after six years in the hellishly serene wilderness of Montecito.
Speaker 1: It's kind of nice out there to me, but okay, that's one way to put it.
Speaker 4: Hellishly serene. I think it's gorgeous.
Speaker 3: I'll live there any day, she goes on to write, So here's this scoop about the Sussex Thunderbolt.
Speaker 4: I can confirm Meghan has a job.
Speaker 3: The identity of the show is not yet clear, but it allows Harry at last to get her buy in for this growing desire to get the hell out of Paradise and go home to the world.
Speaker 4: He understands.
Speaker 1: I was hopeful, babe, I was too, but I was fearful. I just didn't think it would start already.
Speaker 3: I mean, and I just I think, like in their minds, or in her mind, maybe even she thinks, maybe this is a new start, a fresh start, we can repair damage, we can get going. And before they even get there, the not I don't even think hours passed. I mean, was it a full twenty four hours before we got the she has a job too? They've pulled the job. It's just it's such a quick knee jerk reaction. I actually we don't know what was going on in Netflix or with the production, or why they made the call, how this got leaked in the first place, because I kept thinking, if it wasn't leaked, if she was already on the set, like, let it just let's just see what happens.
Speaker 4: But we see this.
Speaker 3: All the time, and we experience this personally, this rush to quickly try to repair a situation by just yanking somebody out and pulling the rug out from underneath them and truly ruining their reputations in their lives because you're so quick to react. Because some people are commenting, I hate seeing that. It might be so much more complex than that. But from the outside looking in, it feels like that might be what happened because of the swiftness of the about face, and it just that part of it makes me sad. Give it a beat, Like you don't have to make knee jerk reactions, and oftentimes when you do, they're not the right ones.
Speaker 1: How does she get in a room with Kate? Like?
Speaker 2: What is that? Can they even interact? Is there any possibility because some of the things that have been said by Harry Megan, which can all be true, certainly they're right, But is it for the sake of family stuff you put out publicly to be hashed out rohab It's not just in an interview. This stuff is like documented history now in books that they've written.
Speaker 3: Look, and I even if it's all true and let's just operate under the presumption that it is everything Harry wrote was true. Everything they've said to Oprah, everything they've talked about publicly, all happened exactly the way they said it did. I still think that they owe an apology to the people who they publicly maligned, because I know truth might protect you in a defamation suit, but it's not going to protect you in a when it comes to trust and rebuilding damaged relationships where one party feels betrayed. If you have a beef, say it with me, But to retaliate publicly takes things to a whole new level. And I do think an apology has to be offered for doing that in order for they don't have to, But if they want a relationship with them, I feel like that would have to be on the table.
Speaker 1: Does that need to be public? Man? This is I don't know, probes.
Speaker 2: The stuff they talk They flat out called the family racist and in how they were dealing with and need to look behind the baby's ears to see if the baby going to people that kind.
Speaker 4: Of a thing, and Kate was like a mean girl.
Speaker 2: Pro that's a how do you repair that? How do you apologize for that? I didn't mean what I said, or I shouldn't have said it, but it sounds like they're standing by that thing. I don't know Robes how this gets worked out, but that is key for me. How can Kate and Megan Markle get in the same room and it was Kate even would be open to it.
Speaker 1: Well, this is tough. I hate it for Megan morcle. I don't think any of these are bad people. Probably not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting because I was telling you Martha Stewart had a big cover on People magazine and she was specifically asked about Megan Markle and asked what Martha Stewart felt about Megan stepping into your space with her own cooking show. And I thought the way Martha put it, like a lot of people made something of it, but I think it was actually on point. She said, if you're an actress, it's hard to then transition to a princess and then from a princess into a homemaking guru on a television show.
Speaker 4: It doesn't sort of follow, so go from there.
Speaker 3: She was just saying she's not surprised, perhaps by the lack of success she found in that space because the transitions she's trying to make are are really hard, and it's hard to bring people along with you who are trying to even those who are rooting for you, for it to feel authentic, for it to not feel like a money grab or a desperate attempt to try and basically change the narrative without actually addressing what's the problem.
Speaker 1: What was the order again, from a princess to to what she said?
Speaker 3: She said, if you're an actress, actress, it's then hard to transition to a princess, and so, you know, I agree with that. And then from a princess into a homemaking guru on a television show.
Speaker 4: Okay, it just doesn't feel authentic. I guess is part of it. And she wasn't prepared for any of them.
Speaker 3: I think that is the inference that, you know, how can you prepare to be a princess if you've known nothing about a royal life, You've known nothing about that country's history or what it's like to be British, let alone to be you know, in this world of aristocrats, it's just a very different So, yeah, she was out of her league and out of her comfort zone. And then she tries to transition to something else that she doesn't have any at least known experience or expertise in, and she wants us to now say, oh, tell us what to do, even though we don't really know what your credentials are.
Speaker 1: Was she ever adored.
Speaker 2: In the UK, like very beginning, at the very beginning.
Speaker 3: Yes, I remember that initial press conference when they when they when she was smiling, she had the white coat and they stood out in front of Kensington Palace and they said they were engaged, and everybody was excited.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't remember that, Oh I do, But she did have moments.
Speaker 2: Obviously race played into it and there could be some elements of that, but I thought generally speaking.
Speaker 1: She was She wasn't always just seen as a no no in.
Speaker 4: The early days.
Speaker 3: I think people were excited at the romance and people were kind of like, holy hell, he's he's going to marry a divorce a who's black and American. It was like the triple the opposite of a triple threat. She had three strikes against her, and yet he loved her and they did seem in love and happy, and yeah, I think people were like, okay, okay, let's see what.
Speaker 2: Happened to overcome those obvious. There is obvious differences and challenges that are gonna come. I think there was like not a forbidden love, but an unlikely one and unlikely but there is one I ever seen before.
Speaker 1: But you stop. I'm trying to come up with the right word.
Speaker 2: No, it was again almost forbidden, almost one of these things you're not supposed This isn't supposed to work, and we're gonna overcome all these challenges, even stuff from our family. It made you almost root for Wow, this is real. They are passionate and they want this thing. It was that wedding. I was over the top. I was so ready to rude for these two in every way, shape and form, and then things just started to unravel. Does she I was looking forward to there being a black princess. I was, I really really want that.
Speaker 4: Where it is one oh Megan?
Speaker 3: Okay, she is technically a black princess and her daughter Lilla bet. I mean, I haven't seen her face, but she's got red soft curls.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's technically a black prince.
Speaker 2: She's technically a black sweeart. She lives in southern California. There are if I asked anyone from LA to name.
Speaker 1: Royalty.
Speaker 2: Halle Berry would be on the list they would name we have royalty. That was part of some people are talking about ropes. You're nothing to us in southern California. You saint the UK, we got Tom Holland, we guys in Deah, Okay. People just aren't generally impressed. You aren't welcomed in that way.
Speaker 3: You aren't.
Speaker 4: You didn't earn it in a place of.
Speaker 1: Superstars, right, they say that played into some of this. You know yet out of here, we ain't being received here. Well, now you go back to the UK, you're not being received. Where is home for these people?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And you know what, that's a tough thing when you don't feel anchored anywhere and you don't feel welcome anywhere.
Speaker 4: So my heart goes out to both of them, to all four of them.
Speaker 3: I hope they figure it out, because everyone should feel welcome at home, wherever.
Speaker 2: Home may be for them. But that is the updates the gig that we were just told she got. We were also just told she don't get no more because people don't like Megan. Apparently with that, folks, I don't want to know that niggave no people don't like Megan We're rooting for you girl. Okay, we're absolutely rooting with this night. All right with that, folks, we appreciate your listening.
Speaker 1: I'm TJ. That's Robes. We'll talk to you