Speaker 1: Glad you're back with us here on Bills by the Numbers, where we let the stats tell you where the Bills are at. We're presented by Fan Duel make every moment more up. Next, just how historic the season could James Cooks have? With ten regular season games to play? Should the Bills offense be as balanced as they are? Or is it time to prop up their pass game? And should James Cook be a part of that passing game? To use him in an expanded fashion? Steve is quizzed on Bill's running back history, and we'll have our one turning question. Somebody take the dang hand off already. Thanks for joining us here on Bills by the Numbers. He's Wall of Famer Steve Tasker on Bill's play by playman Chris Brown, and we kick it off with the remarkable first half of the season James Cook has had through seven games, Buffalo's feature back ranks second in the NFL in rushing with seven hundred and fifty three yards. His average of six yards per carry leads the league. He's third in first downs created, fourth in total yards from scrimmage, and tied for fifth in scoring. At his current pace, Cook would finish with eighteen hundred and twenty eight yards rushing, which would be the second best rushing season in Bill's history, behind Hall of Famer O. J. Simpsons two thousand and three rushing season in nineteen seventy three. It would also be the twentieth best rushing season in NFL history. Steve, do you believe he hits that number, exceeds it, or falls short?
Speaker 2: First of all, let me preface everything by saying, Chris brown has been on the James Cook train since it was sitting in a station in Georgia before he was even drafted. So let me just give kudos to Brownie, and he is a James Cook advocate all the time. Anyway, Having said that, I think he's gonna fall a little bit short because he's been so spectacular it's hard to keep that going through. Yeah, somebody's gonna come up with a game that's gonna put him off track and put him behind the sticks on that eighteen hundred and twenty eight number, But he's still I mean maybe what fourteen hundred yards fifty that's a big season and it would validate the contract and all the conversation that we had about him in the offseason. I do think I don't think he can make it that far because of what it's going to take to win games going down the stretch. And even though though having said that, it'll be one of the great seasons in Bill's history, it could be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm thinking he's gonna end up somewhere around fifteen to sixteen. Yeah, somewhere in there, because when we get to December, you know, when the weather turns and he's good in the snow, I think I think fifteen to sixteen hundred is within reach. Eighteen hundred would be extraordinary, right, yes, it would. I mean seventeen Even me, the biggest believer in James Cook, would be impressed by that.
Speaker 2: That's that's a big number. But as we've seen, he's playing in the right system to have it have some opportunity because of the quarterback he's got, and teams aren't you know, they know they they know Josh is the MVP. The Bills want to try and beat him with a run game instead of the throwing game. With that with that guy, maybe they give him the opportunity to do it. We'll see.
Speaker 1: Right now, Cook has a rushing success rate of sixty six point seven percent, far and away the best in the league, so much so that it's six percent better than his next closest pursuer, the rams Kyron Williams, and ten percent better than Jonathan Taylor of the Colts, who is killing it by the way as well. In Week eight, Cook had the most rushing yards in a game this season and did not even play in the fourth quarter. It's the most rushing yards in a game in the last thirty five seeds seas by a player who did not have a carry in the final Stanza. It's rare stuff. Has it been successful enough to justify being the only team in the league, however, that runs the ball more than fifty percent of the time on offense?
Speaker 2: Steve Well, yeah, I mean that they won the game, but we're.
Speaker 1: Talking over the whole season here. Do you want to be a fifty to fifty run pass team when you have the MVP at quarterback?
Speaker 2: Well, I think you know what you have in your quarterback. And I think they've got more confidence, particularly when they're healthy, in their weapons outside than most fans do because they haven't seen it. And because of that, I think they don't want to put the burden on seventeen on Josh Allen every single game whenever they can if they don't have to, and there have been games when they have not had to, and they're also I think even in the losses they suffered this year, particularly in the Patriots loss, you know, the turnovers really hurt him, Josh turning the ball over and Keon dropping the ball in their own end, deeping the Bill's own end. Offensively, that put them in the eight ball. That's a game they should have, could have would have won had it not been for the offense stumbling like it did. So I think they're okay with where they're at offensively, whether it's fifty percent run or fifty five percent run forty pass or fifty percent pass or even more whatever, because they I think they believe when they go to Josh and turn that faucet on, it's going to pour out.
Speaker 1: Okay, after last week's game, which skewed the numbers a little bit because they ran the balls for so many yards and so successfully, it's now fifty two run forty eight percent pass for the Bills. They're the only team that's at the fifty percent mark or over. And look, it's gotten them to a five and two record, But I think there are some out there who say, are you almost costing this offense more production by choosing to run it more than you throw it? Even with the advent of more teams running the ball more often than we saw five seasons ago when people were throwing it all over the yard, some teams were like sixty five thirty five. I just wonder if the offense might be even more productive than it already is, and it's hard to argue with almost thirty points a game. I wonder if it would be even more productive if they go just fifty five pass forty five run, and maybe it gets there by the end of the season, who knows.
Speaker 2: I think it sounds counterintuitive, but I.
Speaker 1: Wonder if it's blasphemy Steve to not utilize Josh Allen's talents more than they are in the passing game. Or maybe is there a that the heavy run approach is by design to help a defense while still shorthanded due to injury. What about that premise?
Speaker 2: Maybe, yeah, that's all possible. I think, and this may sound counterintuitive, that they may feel like doing it the way they're doing it gives them best chance to win games rather than chase stats. Right, They're in the business of winning, and each of these games falls differently. So when you take the cumulative numbers about the season, sometimes it's not as accurate as what a team is capable of as it was about the matchups and what won games and how the game got out of hand. This, particularly this Carolina game, like right and the Jet game earlier in the season, excues the statistics because of where they're at on the scoreboard. I think this is a team that has a recipe for winning every game, and certainly it may alter a little bit game to game, but the big picture doesn't always paint the accurate picture, doesn't give you the the nuts and bolts of how they're gonna win. So I think the way they won in Carolina certainly is not how they're gonna beat the Kansas City Chiefs. So I think taking the big picture, while it has some value, I don't think they care game to game or in the big picture of what it looks like game to game. And I think it's counterintuitive, but I think they may be more interested in and I know it sounds in playing the run pass ratio in the small in the small sense, rather than the big sense, then we're gonna run at this game because it's gonna help us win. I think they're in the business of winning games more so than looking at the statistics and thinking it looks good. And I think the way the schedule has fallen with the Jets, with the Carolina Panthers and you know, and the others who they've the Saints game, they just exkews the big picture numbers. So whether they're fifty five percent run and thirty percent pass has something to do with that. Now, in the New England game, it got down to turnovers and penalties. Falcons game. That was the one game where it was a little bit of an aberration, I believe offensively when they struggled to protect, struggle to move the ball, and I think that game got away from him. But the other six, including the Patriots game, I think they're right on schedule with where they want to be, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So let's let's expand this conversation with respect to the passing game. Should James Cook be utilized as a mismatch in the passing game to help expand its usage and production to get his breakaway ability out in space more often?
Speaker 2: Yes, I am all about that I think, leave him on the field as much as you can. That doesn't mean you can't. I mean, and I don't think you should be preoccupied with getting him more opportunities. But certainly nobody's going to complain about more opportunities for him, particularly in the past. Hi, it's the one thing that they haven't had it now. They didn't have to do that last week. I get it. And the same thing in the Jet game, same thing in the Saints game. Some of this stuff. The Bills can leave whole sections of their playbook closed and never go to them, So I get that. But they're in some of these games, particularly the Atlanta game and perhaps maybe the Patriot game, or particularly in the Patriot game, there was some instances where they needed to unfurl some stuff and we didn't see it, or at least we didn't feel like we saw it. So yeah, I believe James Cook. When he's having the kind of season he's showing the kind of abilities and the things that he's doing right now, I think more opportunities are better, not worse. And if you throw it to him, that's fine.
Speaker 1: And I would wholeheartedly agree the more touches for James Cook the better for this offense, right and I think with a passing game that has looked a little disjointed in recent weeks, he could help in that with you know, whether it's intermedia throws, short throws in space, yards after catch, whatever you want from the passing game, I think he could help in that vein because to me, he is a mismatch on any linebacker and any safety in the league, any of them. So why not get him in a one on one matchup? Not to mention the fact that with as strong as this run game is, you could line him up in the backfield and they're gonna put with three tight ends if you want two whatever the other team's putting three linebackers on the field. Then you motion him out late pre snap, and now you've got him on a linebacker or at worse, the safety advantage buffalo every single time. So to me, that makes sense. Now here would you be surprised to know that James Cook has not had a passing target since Week five?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I knew that against the Patriots, that was something I thought. I was a little surprised. I was a little surprised by that, no question about it. They just and I you know.
Speaker 1: It's not a question of are they using him enough. They're not using him.
Speaker 2: All I was, it's completely gone away. And there's been a couple of games where you know, he's obviously no targets, no catches.
Speaker 1: And not on the field sometimes and two minutes drill.
Speaker 2: So I think they need to they need to fix that.
Speaker 1: B John Robinson. They're not. They're not afraid about using him too much.
Speaker 2: In Atlanta and I they got a lot of faith in Tid Johnson. I get that, but there are some guys in the like well like Keon. If sit him down, put James on the on the field and use some different formations, get some guys who have been productive in the passing game, it just makes it just makes too much sense to use him when he got It's the old adage a bit of investments, when when you keep giving more investment capital to one thing and it keeps getting bigger and bigger returns, you keep putting more money into it. Yeah, let's give those guys more opportunities, like James Cook.
Speaker 1: All right, good discussion there. We now quiz Steve on Bill's running back history in the numbers game. Let's do it. Steve all right, there we go. Question number one. Only two players are on the list for the top seven single season most total yards from scrimmage in Bill's history. They are Hall of famers OJ Simpson and Thurman Thomas. Which one of those two names appears more often in those top seven single season total yards from scrimmage?
Speaker 2: Thurman?
Speaker 1: And you would be correct? Four times?
Speaker 2: He let Yeah, he led the league four times. He only got to ever do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, pretty impressive. Question number two. Therman Thomas holds three of the top five spots for most total touches in a regular season in Bill's history. This other Bill's running back holds the other two spots, and his name is Knox OJ Simpson. Who is it? Freddy Jackson? It is not fred Jackson. That's a good guess, though.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay is it? Wow? You got me with that one.
Speaker 1: That's tough.
Speaker 2: I'll say.
Speaker 1: Willis is not Willis mcgahey. Oh. Travis Henry, Travis Henravis Henry. Travis Henry had three hundred sixty eight total touches in two thousand and two and three hundred and fifty nine in two thousand and three. Let's go tea hen Question number three after oj Simpson's twenty three total touchdown from scrimmage in a season. What Bill's back ranks second in total touchdowns twenty Yeah, it's not Thurman. Freddy not Freddy.
Speaker 2: Uh, CJ, not CJ.
Speaker 1: It's the guy we've been talking about this whole episode. James Cook Cook eighteen total touchdowns the last season. Wow, that is second most.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Uh. Question for what Bill holds the record for longest rushing touchdown in team history?
Speaker 2: What Bill holds the longest the record.
Speaker 1: From longest rushing touchdowns?
Speaker 2: Gotta be juice.
Speaker 1: It is not Oj Simpson. Someone has top ten.
Speaker 2: CJ.
Speaker 1: That's a good guess, but incorrect.
Speaker 2: James Cook.
Speaker 1: It is not James Cook. This is a guy who would not guess to have a lot have won this long but he did. Freddy, it is fred Jackson. Eighty yards October sixteenth, twenty eleven against the New York Giants. I actually watched it back this week. Serpentine, Serpentine, serpentine, serpet.
Speaker 2: Freddy's not outrunning on too many people, but he is.
Speaker 1: He used to be hyper aware of who was trailing him, and he would cut right when the guy was gonna jump at it. Freddie was.
Speaker 2: He's one of those guys that if you're fast enough to catch him, you might not be big enough or strong enough to kit him down because he's got a he had a forearm that was in like a taser gun. And then if you were big enough, strong enough to tackle him, he might not be fast enough to catch him. Just right in that and there's right in between there, and he was physical and aware, like you say, aware enough, if you're fast enough to catch him, you might have had to like pick your spot.
Speaker 1: That's what it was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It looked like a game of pac Man. He's like runningto the end zone. There's three guys after him, and right at the last second, he sees this guy over his left shoulder and he comes back to the left and the guy, oh, he misses it. He gets into the end zone. It was a great run eighty yards the team record. Bill's fans. Get in on the action with FanDuel, America's number one sportsbook. Just download the app today to play any way you want. Plus, with live betting, you'll get updated odds on games that have already started. Best of all, you get paide your winnings fast. Make every moment more. With FanDuel Official Sportsbook partner of the Buffalo Bills, we now ask our one burning question. Khalil Shakir currently ranked second in the NFL in yards after catch among receivers with two hundred and ninety four. He is second only to Cincinnati's Jamar Chase, who has three one hundred and fifty six yards after the catch. Will Shakir lead all receivers in yards after the catch at season's end.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. Not. He's trailing by too much by Jamar.
Speaker 1: He's about sixty yards behind a little more than sixty yards behind.
Speaker 2: He's probably he's gonna get some. That's what he does. He's very good at that. He's elite at yards after catch. He's elite. I'm gonna have to say no, just because of the opportunities and other guys in the league and how hard it is to do. I think he's gonna have a ton and I think they're gonna continue to use him like that because he's really good at it. But he's also had a bunch of long ones already. Teams are gonna, you know, no, I'm gonna say no. I don't think he can.
Speaker 1: I got a forty five yard and a fifty four yard both for touchdowns already through the first seven games, right, he's gonna have some more. I think he finishes in the top five, Yes, maybe even the top three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: If he finishes at it would be a heck of an accomplished go And you know he's got to stay healthy.
Speaker 2: And who knows, he's second in the league.
Speaker 1: He's played one less game than a lot of teams. Yeah, he's second in the league among receivers. The running backs usually lead that category, but among receivers he's number two. Right now, I think he could finish in the top five among receivers. Our closing figure got to give credit to Steve on this. He pointed this one out in the stat sheet this week. Our closing figure deals with the Bills Chiefs matchup in Week ten. This is the tenth meeting between or sorry week nine, This is the tenth meeting between Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes. Overall, in those ten meetings, Mahomes has the better record of five and four, but the point totals in the previous nine matchups, if you add them all together, are separated by a single point. Kansas City with two hundred and forty three points scored to Buffalo's two hundred forty two.
Speaker 2: Absolutely crazy. You can't take your eyes off this game.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a good one. That'll do it for this episode, be sure to subscribe on whatever podcast platform you use, or watch us on the Bills YouTube channel, because when you need to know about the Bills, you need to check Bills by the Numbers For Steves After, I'm Chris Brown. Thanks for listening. We'll catch you next time. Everybody