Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Ketty.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong and Getty and he Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 3: There's one thousand dollars from us supporter. We might have to start doing our whale watch as we're raising money for Scouting this week. My son has been a Boy Scout now for nine months or something like that, just absolutely blown away by the organization, and we decided we'd raise some money. Some more kids could get involved in Scouting because it does cost them. There's several hundred dollars just to get started, and we're gonna raise money so that they'll have basically scholarships. Some more kids get involved in Scouting.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people are only vaguely aware jack of why they would support Scouting, I really do. I think we need to help them understand that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought it was mostly learning to camp myself and die.
Speaker 2: Useful skills, no doubt yetah, which is.
Speaker 3: Not nothing but what I've learned about since my son got involved in it.
Speaker 2: It's all about the leadership.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's all built around you know, Camping is a great activity to do to learn leadership and have people take different roles of preparing and organizing and having a list and checking it twice in all that different sort of stuff, partly because the stakes are pretty high.
Speaker 2: Because the stakes are very high, you get out, they're miserable if you screwed up.
Speaker 3: You get out there, and you might be wet if it's raining, or not have enough food or whatever it is. And the main thing is, I saw fifteen year olds who seemed like they were twenty five year olds, and I feel like I don't see that a lot in the modern era. It's more the other way around, which I see a lot, And it just blew me away. I thought, why are these kids so mature? And it's because they've been in this Scouting program. Some of them that are really into lead go off to these various leadership conferences camps where they specifically work on leadership. But just in your own Scouting troop, you rise up through the ranks and now all of a sudden, you're in charge of this or that, and kids, when you give them responsibility, they tend to rise to the occasion or the demands they take on the responsibility, and that.
Speaker 2: It just changes them it's amazing and a couple of more points.
Speaker 1: Number one, they're absolute, unapologetic patriotis is fantastic. Teaching kids to love their country. That's a breath of fresh and value it and liberty. Is that not a counterbalance that we all have been crying out for to, for instance, our government schools. Second thing is and for various reasons that you've probably followed the history of it. But they do have girls us in Scouting USA as well.
Speaker 3: I met a couple of Eagle Scouts girls that were Eagle Scouts at the big fundraiser in Sacramento last year. Very impressive girls.
Speaker 1: But as an activist now, I was thinking about this for going on twenty five years against the war on boys and the trying to feminize everything. The fact that both boys and girls go out, they work hard, they get dirty, they camp, they take responsibility. They're not treated like lap dogs. They're treated like capable human beings. It's a counterbalance to so many of the things that we and you have been railing about for so long.
Speaker 2: It's a force for good.
Speaker 3: It's one hundred and eighty degrees from the helicopter parenting. Everything needs to be planned out modern era woh crap. The adults stand back and watch, and sometimes the tent falls down or somebody forgot to bring the something, and now what are they going to do?
Speaker 2: And adults just stand back and let them figure it out? Right?
Speaker 3: How valuable is that? It's amazing, so great, such a positive force. So we like raising money in the way that we do because you can. You can give with your name, which is fantastic, or you can be anonymous, or you can come up with a funny name. And we'll get to a total here in just a second. But already we've had one hundred dollars from Tenderfoot Dan. Thank you very much, Tenderfoot Dan. We had unbaked cookie dough chip in twenty five bucks.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, cookie dough, Thank you for your delightfulness.
Speaker 2: And it's every way.
Speaker 3: How much of that did I eat yesterday? As Henry the Scout was making cookies unbaked cookie dough. I like twenty five bucks from the Ghost of dominic This is a clever one fifty bucks from Ann e way oh and two.
Speaker 2: Anyway, oh and two a Native American miss Owen two.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's pretty funny, yea. The Ghost of Dominic I don't know how I feel about that anyway, Gladys once a year gets to put away or harp and get out or snare drum, which he played. Uh so when the troops came back home in nineteen eighteen, he Gladys, so let's get a total here. We are already we've only been done this for an hour, eleven seven and fifty three dollars. Oh fantastic. That's a pretty good start. Actually, it's a very nice start. Yeah, I don't know what. We got a goal of fifty thousand. I have no idea what we're actually gonna hit. We may blow past that by but you know, there's all kinds of there's there's all kinds of things going on that we don't so it's hard to guess. The economy's weird right now. People are feeling maxed out. Well, an AI is going to come for your heart and lungs within five years, So what good is your money going to do you?
Speaker 2: You might as well donate it.
Speaker 1: We just we don't want there to be an American kid who wants to get into scouting. But times are tough for the family, and mom and dad have to say I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: We can't do that. That's that's what we're trying to do here.
Speaker 3: I feel for the have nots in the current economic times. Let me appeal to the halves. If you're running around, I know what it's like out there. I've been running around myself. Every restaurant is packed, every mall is packed, every convenience store is packed. It's just everybody's running around doing stuff. You're traveling, you're spending money. If you're doing that and you want to just assuaze your concerts a little bit, you're feeling guilty about spending so much money on yourself and your family, this is what you do. This is just to help your conscience. If nothing else, you throw a little money towards scouting by going to Armstrong in geddy dot com. We made it super easy to donate. Now you'll be able to go and you know, indulge in something ridiculous and not feel so guilty.
Speaker 1: There you go, There you go, all right, fantastic good Armstrong in geddy dot com. Click on the donate now button. Major major announcement by the Trump Justice Department Department of Justice coming up in a minute, But first word from our friends at Webroote a lot of tech devices being given as presents this time of year, right, and somebody logs on and maybe they're not super tech savvy, or maybe they are, and they get hit by a scammer and it screws up your life. With Webroote Total Protection, it does all sorts of stuff, including blocking risky sites before Granny could even click on her new iPad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a common one.
Speaker 3: Your package was delayed and it looks like it's from UPS or FedEx, and you think, oh crap, before I think before thinking of I better check on this, and the next thing you know, they're into your computer. And that's why cybercrime is so spiky this time of year. How about up to a million dollars an expense reimbursement if you do get caught, A built in password manager, real time anti virus, identity protection. They're searching the dark web web right now to see if your information is out there.
Speaker 1: There's a VPN for privacy, cloud backup for easy restore. It's all in one protection for individuals or families. Right now you can save sixty percent off for a limited time.
Speaker 2: Don't wait.
Speaker 1: Protect your devices, privacy and identity this holiday season and into next year for less than seventy five dollars go to webroot dot com slash armstrong sixty percent off at webroot dot com slash armstrong. This offtware won't last to act. Now live a better digital life with webroot.
Speaker 2: Oh what time is it? Yeah, we got time for this, so maybe you go to the other side of the I don't know. I just don't know.
Speaker 3: I like you spelling that out with time, and I got a perfect little thing here before we take a break, and we'll break on time because I've seen some of this on the text line about the death of Rob Reiner because you didn't like his politics. First of all, what is wrong with you if you, in any way are happy to see some husband and wife stabbed to death by their kid because of the politics you've broken. There's something broken with you. And our friend Tim Sanderfer retweeted this is exactly like the people who took Glee and Charlie Kirk being assassinated. You realize you're doing the same thing, Yeah, only on a different side. But it's exactly the same impulse and it's sick.
Speaker 1: Maybe later on this hour, the psychology and finances of rage baiting online.
Speaker 3: Oh I like that.
Speaker 1: Why do so many people show the worst aspects.
Speaker 2: Of humanity online? It's pretty interesting. We got a lot to talk about today.
Speaker 3: If you want to donate to the Scouts, you go to Armstrong in geddy dot com. We're on the way. Mom of two Eagle Scouts donated one hundred bucks to Scouting at Armstrong in getty dot com or raising money this week. Good job mom. Also fifty bucks from Bleach Blonde, bad Bilt butch body.
Speaker 2: Wow, we're happy to see you.
Speaker 3: Just go to Armstrong in geddy dot com and it's pretty obvious on how you donate.
Speaker 1: So the Justice Department last week issued a major, major ruling that I did not see covered.
Speaker 2: I'm glad I came across this.
Speaker 1: Are you familiar with the horrific, idiotic, illogical doctrine of disparate impact?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If there's a differing result among different racial groups being hired at certain numbers, passing a test in certain numbers, losing a foot race, whatever, that is enough proof that there was discrimination.
Speaker 2: That that is illegal and it must be fixed. Right, no matter what it is.
Speaker 3: If you end up with an outcome that's not fifty to fifty men and women, or the percentage of black people, Hispanic people, gay people that exist in the America. It is, by definition, picking and choosing winners suscriminatory, discriminatory. Assistant Attorney General Harmeit Dillon, who's one of the great civil rights heroes of the twenty first century, We've talked to her a number of times on the air. It's been a while, said our rejection of this theory will restore true equality under the law by requiring proof of actual discrimination rather than enforcing race and sex based quotas or assumptions. Well, did you mention the Supreme Court has ruled several times that disparate impact is a good idea which is highly troubling.
Speaker 1: Yet is highly troubling. It was kind of tacked on to the a section of the nineteen sixty four Civil Rights Act. There was a big court case, a Supreme Court case in nineteen seventy one. And if you don't know the history of the Supreme Court, the idea that because now briefly it leans conservative, is somehow a horror. Well, for like fifty years it leaned way way left super active as court and this Griggs versus Duke power essentially said well, specifically, it said Duke Power had discriminated against black employees by requiring applicants for promotion to have a high school diploma and pass two aptitude tests. Unless the player could provide a prove a business necessity for that policy, or any policy with disparate impact, it would be liable for discrimination. That doctrine's been weakened in various ways by various court cases through the years, but it was still a factor and then got really revived and pushed during THEO Woke Apocalypse of twenty twenty three, you know, fairly recently, but the administration, the Justice Department just came out and said, no, we completely reject it as a doctrine, and it is let's see specific Quickly, they issued a rule doing away with disparate impact liability under one section of the nineteen sixty four Civil Rights Act, so that we're going to cure racism by more racism has been weakened considerably, because the one problem with it is it creates incentives for employers to engage in outright discrimination. You might probably not remember, but Ricci versus Di Stefano in two thousand and nine, plaintiffs were white firefighters in New Haven, Connecticut, who passed a test for promotion decisions. Because whites passed at higher rates than minorities, the city worried it would face disparate impact lawsuits, so it discarded the test results and did not promote the white firefighters.
Speaker 2: Well, from a legal standpoint, you could see why they did. Yeah, just to protect their arses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, So that Clarence Thomas, by the way, is hated this forever.
Speaker 3: Well, it's nonsensical, it's stupid on its space as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well, and he wrote in his eloquent style that allowing disparate impact liability quote to correct for imbalances that do not result from any unlawful conduct conduct inevitably leads to racial balancing, which is patently unconstitutional. So anyway, well done, miss Dylan in the Justice apartment. Love that move, Love it, love it, love it.
Speaker 2: We got fifty dollars from mister soup sandals, swimsuit.
Speaker 3: You have any idea what that is?
Speaker 1: You hate soup, you refuse to sandals and short pants?
Speaker 3: You're right, Okay, that explains it. There you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you know.
Speaker 3: That Australia has the highest per capita population of Holocaust survivors outside of Israel.
Speaker 2: I did not just read that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had a couple of Holocaust survivors who were killed by those Islamist nut jobs over the weekend. Jesus survived the Holocaust. All these years later, you get shot in the country of Australia, of all places. Just horror, by a couple of people who dedicated their lives to isis How in the hell does that ideology catch on?
Speaker 1: And I want to repeat this every time we bring the story up. They globalized the Intifada. Absolutely, that's what it means. I'm not sure all the college kids who chanted and know that that's what it means. But Zorn Mandami knew what it meant, and he refused to distance himself from the phrase. Right, yeah, yeah, well yeah, the college kids being fools who were or you know what, more charitably innocence, They were innocence who were indoctrinated by their evil professors and the Islamists who work with the Neo Marxist, the Red Green Alliance.
Speaker 2: You know, I kicking the kids probably won't do any good.
Speaker 1: But you have been defrauded, You have been fooled and you have been duped into enlisting in an army of evil youngsters.
Speaker 2: Go away.
Speaker 3: By the way, since I mentioned this a little bit ago, that if you didn't like Rob Reiner's politics and you make any comment joyful about his dying, you're just like the people who cheered Charlie Kirk being assassinated. And Rob Reiner did it in an interview just a couple of days ago with Piers Morgan in which he said Charlie Kirk's assassination was an absolute horror. Nobody should die for their politics like that, no matter what their politics are, and he was amazed and impressed with Erica Kirk, Charlie Kirk's wife's ability to forgive the killer. So that's Rob Reiner's attitude about that sort of thuff. Yeah, and it had nothing to do with his politics anyway. Despite what Donald Trump tweeted, it was their homeless drug addicted son that probably came in the house and killed them, which is pretty awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm yeah, Okay. Trump's tweet was horrific.
Speaker 2: Truth.
Speaker 3: I don't know what to say about that.
Speaker 1: I can tell, I can tell I was gonna bring that up. Every descriptor you've used of it has been neutral, which I think is interesting Trump's posting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I'm almost as amazed that it not getting more attention. I mean, it doesn't even hardly stand out in our current climate.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's not like it's the first time he's said anything completely unhinged.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: You combine with the fact that when somebody is brutally murdered if you didn't like their politics, you cheer. Not everybody, not most people, not you know, a tiny minority, but enough people for it to be disturbing, combined with the things that all our politicians say. No, it doesn't even hardly ring the bell, but it is something from a president of the United States. Rob Reiner and his wife were passed away in their home. Passed away as an interesting phrase for people that were stabbed it up, reportedly due to the anger he caused others through his massive, unyielding and incurable affliction with a mind crippling disease known as Trump derangement syndrome. So he believes somebody so angered by Rob Reiner's views of Trump came in and killed him.
Speaker 1: Or he saw that on somebody's social media account and went with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it had nothing to do with it actually, just for the record, even if it had been specifically somebody what you're blaming cone it, yeah, wholeheartedly. Yeah, Okay, that is.
Speaker 2: Just where we are.
Speaker 3: I don't know what to do about it. Let the pendulum swing back or maybe it won't have her hard to say, I do. At some point, I want to hear about your new view on AI and art, which you Yeah, lots of stories we got to update you on because there's a lot of fast moving stuff happening today.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 4: Pantone announced that their color of the year is Cloud Dancer, which they call a billowy, balanced white imbued with a feeling of serenity, a description they stole from my old bumble profile.
Speaker 3: I thought that was a funny Joe. Plus the fact that there's a color of the year.
Speaker 1: The whole as a person involved in a remodel of a home, at this point, I'll tell you, the whole hot color thing is annoying.
Speaker 2: Here's a little pro tip for you.
Speaker 1: Unless you're willing to have your house repainted every couple of years, if you go with the hot color, it will be.
Speaker 2: The Oh my god, that color is so out color before you know it. Yeah, like in the blink of an eye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so beware, beware coming up. I don't know, next hour, maybe tomorrow, I can't remember. It doesn't matter. We'll get to it eventually. But I want to retell to you one of the oldest stories that you've heard, a time honored story, story you've heard over and over again. In that time, Caesar Augustus ordered that woke cities should try rent control.
Speaker 2: See what happens.
Speaker 1: Well, Minneapolis and Saint Paul, Minnesota have taken opposite approaches to rent control, and you will be completely unshocked by the outcome of that little experiment right there on either side of a river.
Speaker 3: For some reason, it never occurred to me before, but Saint Paul is obviously named after Saint Paul Saul of Tarsus. Yes, really pretty much the spreader of the entire Christian thing, Saint Paul of all places about his Woka town as you could come up with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but not as woke as their big brother Minneapolis Jack, as we learn anyway. So I thought this was interesting. The question of rage baiting, which is intentionally posting something to social media that you know will anger people.
Speaker 3: What was the one last week. It was a joke that we used a couple of times. Is it about Christmas or Santa? It was a rage bait thing. It was very very funny.
Speaker 2: It'll head yeah, yeah, just jump in when it does.
Speaker 3: You're right, Katy, Well, I remember it was saying like something like posting I hate Santa, yeah, something about just to yeah, just to make people mad.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's beyond like a strong opinion. It's intentionally trying to anger people. And interestingly enough, that was the word of the year by the Oxford University Press. I have no idea what their color of the year was, but their word or term of the year was rage bait. And you know, at first, Blush is a human being. You might think that it's not a great idea to post content that antagonizes people, right, I mean, imagine that's how you behaved it like cocktail parties or Christmas gatherings. But people who post content on social media make more money if their channel has high levels of engagement, regardless of how positively people might be responding. And in addition, they're writing in this piece. Social media platforms use algorithms that tailor the content we see to what we're likely to engage with, whether positively or negatively, and so that doesn't necessarily mean they feed us content that make us happy. It just to any engagement, including angry comments we might post in response because they make more money that way, which is really insidious.
Speaker 2: Wait, sure, we got to fix this.
Speaker 3: We cannot survive this if we don't fix it.
Speaker 1: Right, But this article, interestingly, is from the point of view of psychologists things you can do to help control your reaction to this sort of content. But first you have to understand why rage bait is so effective and it's funny. This is kind of a variation on something we've been talking about for years and years about how nobody's ever tuned out from your in danger or that's the number one way, or this will make you angry. Provocative posts can result the higher number of clips. This may be a result of negativity bias, where negative emotions such as anger spread more quickly and intensely through social networks.
Speaker 2: Okay, we've seen that, but in.
Speaker 1: Evolutionary terms, it's more important for us to pay attention to a situation that has caused anger to our group than to a situation.
Speaker 2: That has created happiness. Right.
Speaker 1: Anger suggests that action needs to be taken to resolve an issue, whereas happiness suggests that everything is okay. There is no evolutionctionary need to respond urgently to everything.
Speaker 3: Is okay obviously. In other words, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know that's obvious. But it helps with why you get this way or I get this way. Yeah, it's a protective mechanism.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So let's see, we're probably for social information.
Speaker 3: I am better than I was even a couple of months ago at recognizing when I see something on our text line or Twitter feed or whatever is like, okay, you're just trying to I see what you're trying to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, troll.
Speaker 1: So we're primed to look for social information obviously. And you know, another variation on the theme we've talked about a lot in the past. The groups we belong to were typically local to where we lived, friends, neighbors, colleagues. But growth social media means we can now connect with people from all.
Speaker 2: Over the world.
Speaker 1: That's another perfect time to play the Pga O'Rourke quote.
Speaker 3: What a giant change in my lifetime. How many a holes were you exposed to pre Internet in your in your in your social circuit or your life. A handfuls them all, and you could name them all and you ignored them or stayed away from them, as opposed to every a hole on earth now right, So that means there are far more groups we can be part of and in turn roots through which people can anger us. Research has also found that people can be quick to align their views with others on anything that prompts a negative emotion. We've mentioned years and years ago, people bond more quickly over what they don't like than over what they like, yeah, or what they they bond over what they hate. That's why, you know, talk radio complaining about stuff you know tends to do better than happy, happy joyjoy.
Speaker 2: Yeah do Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's true to some extent, although a lot of the things we talk about, I mean, where are you gonna find the happy, happy joy joy in politics?
Speaker 2: I mean Britain?
Speaker 3: Bearn No, that's that's a reason to not talk about politics at all.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I hear that. Let's see. Uh.
Speaker 1: The other problem is we can post content or comments immediately get a reply twenty four hours a.
Speaker 2: Day, non stop.
Speaker 1: Typically, we used to have breaks from anything or anyone that caused us a feeling of rage, It would be extremely rare unless you live, you know, in a dysfunctional family or dysfunctional workplace or something like that. But anyway, so knowing that many of the posts are posted solely to drive engagement helps us reclaim our power over these interactions. A twenty twenty study show that giving people an understanding of manipulation techniques in the medium powered them to resist those techniques.
Speaker 3: Well, like the story you always tell one of your kids saying, haters gonna hate that the younger first time I heard that phrase. Yeah, younger generation is picked up on this faster than us older people because, you know, for all the reasons you just stated, we didn't grow up around non stop haters.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, maybe the simplified version of this is you look at stuff like that and say, oh, they're desperate for attention and they're trying to bait me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was trying to explain that to my son. He's got a problem with an individual and their personality who they need. Every time he explains to me what this person does and says, they're just trying to get a reaction out of you, or they don't get any attention at home, or something that. I mean, they're just wanting attention. It just you know, them saying they hate what you like is an attempt to, you know, get some sort of attention reaction out of you. And that's just that's just who they are. Yeah, and it's hard for him to digest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, I don't even know how I developed this, even as like a teenager, I realized the value of somebody says something like that to you. If you can just fix them with the dead eyes and show a complete lack of reaction, the dead eye, that's like it's like a superpower dead because people are trying to get power over you, right sure, to provoke you, to get you on the hook. And if you can give them the I heard everything you said, and you're getting nothing out of me. Oh please, they wither like it violent and winner or something I got.
Speaker 2: I don't give them metaphor somebody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something withery anyway, Yeah, dead eyes, give them the dead eyes.
Speaker 3: I've gotten the dead eyes before.
Speaker 1: Yes, Michael, you have. You've earned them. I'm not amused by you. I'm not angered by you. I'm not provoked by you. I'm bored by you.
Speaker 2: That's what the dead end. Oh, I'm bored by you.
Speaker 3: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my dead eyes speak volumes, Jack, and so does the gift of Omaha Steaks.
Speaker 3: Some of the funny donation names we've had coming up right after this from Omaha Steaks. And now is a good time to buy for all kinds. Well, it's always a good time to get Omaha Steaks. This is the best meat that's out there. Absolutely love it. Anytime my Omaha Steaks package shows up at the door. I'm very very happy. We had the bird night before last.
Speaker 1: I've never been a u philet guy in steak, but Omaha Steaks are so good.
Speaker 2: I love putting them on the grill.
Speaker 1: And they have all sorts of cuts and variety packs and gift packs and stuff.
Speaker 2: I just ordered one for my dad, a good one. Uh.
Speaker 1: And what's great news right now is it's fifty percent off site wide at Omaha Steaks dot com.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And by the way, if you're thinking, oh, I'm not really a steak person, first of all, what's wrong with you? Secondly, they also have Burger's chicken, pork, seafood and desserts at Omaha Steaks, So say.
Speaker 1: Big on gourmet gifts and more holiday favorites with Omaha Steaks. Visit Omaha steaks dot com for an extra thirty five dollars off. Use the code armstrong checkout terms by sea site for details. That's Omaha Steaks dot Com promo code Armstrong at checkout.
Speaker 3: So raising money for scouting this week. We'll explain why later. If you haven't already heard that, you'll like this, Katie. We got twenty five dollars from Jack Joe, Mike.
Speaker 2: Mike.
Speaker 3: That is your unborn child teaching teaching him to get okay, gotcha?
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: Got one hundred bucks from Marshall's second push up, which is pretty funny. Marshall Phillips, our old news guy who was his new year's resolution was to do ten push ups, and.
Speaker 2: He never got to two. Is that right? That's right. I never got pasted too. I don't think there was a second push up. The second one was controversial. Oh my god, this is pre u Katie. Marshall eyes older.
Speaker 3: He was an older guy, but I thought that when he set out at the beginning of the year, my new year's resolution is to do ten push ups. I didn't know if he'd ever do ten push ups, but I would certainly guess that he'd get seven or eight. He never got too, and we'd never Every once in a while we'd have him get down on the floor in the studio. See I can do the push ups.
Speaker 2: Part if that makes me sad. Oh, then he hurt his shoulder and he ended up in the hospital. He actually ended up injured.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and that was quite the deal.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: Mom of four girls need Eagle Scout to marry one donated twenty five dollars. That's very nice.
Speaker 1: Maybe we could hold some sort of uh, I don't know, matchmaking festival, fifty range a few marriages.
Speaker 2: Why not fifty bucks from you know you're Judo.
Speaker 3: Well, which is funny. People love that clip. That's a long time ago.
Speaker 2: That's one of the greatest clips of all time.
Speaker 3: Anyway, gladys, take your little arms and hit the snare drum, would you?
Speaker 2: Here's the total?
Speaker 3: Seventeen four and fourteen dollars seventeen thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: It's good starting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just started this a couple hours ago. Obviously we're shooting for a lot more than that. I couldn't be more amazed with scouting and what it does for young people turning him into grown ups, which we don't do much of anymore. In fact, it seems like our we have a whole of country effort to do the opposite, to keep grownups and leaders and patriots. We seem to be dedicated to making sure young people stay immature, irresponsible, and delusioned.
Speaker 2: For some reason. Yeah, yeah, well said wild.
Speaker 3: Anyway, a lot more on the way, stay here.
Speaker 2: Down four Rivers touchdown.
Speaker 3: That'ssh downs and that's Philip Rivers with a touchdown pass, one hundred and twenty second touchdown pass of his career. Why are we playing clips from ten years ago NFL games? Hilarious?
Speaker 1: That was actually sound from Philip Rivers high school team teammates viewing party of their old teammate five years retired from the NFL coming back inexplicitly or inexplicably rather to play again, and so they held a big viewing party to watch him play, and he actually played pretty well.
Speaker 3: Well, you retired five years ago, when was his prime? So his prime was a decade ago. He's forty four years old, he's got ten kids, he's a grandparent.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and it's really it was a great story. I mean, the whole football world was buzzing about it. How could you not find that compelling? And again he actually played pretty well. Jason Gay the Wall Street Journal wrote a really funny piece about it. He says, they rebooted Mattlock, why not Philip Rivers? And then he goes into how long it's been since he played. This wasn't like summoning the grizzled backup from the third string. This was like thawing Hans Solo off the wall. And then he talked about how everybody was watching, just hoping his old body wasn't broken in half, And where's the funny in the pocket he moved like a man trying.
Speaker 2: To make a sandwich in the dark. We're kind of wobbly.
Speaker 1: At one point, stepping back to pass, he fell over without anyone touching him, like your uncle does every Fourth of July party.
Speaker 2: Just tumbled over like a picnic bench.
Speaker 3: Did that actually happen?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but so anyway, Yeah, he's good friends with his former coaches, the head coach Indianapolis, and he knew the offense. So they lost their starter, lost their backup. And the guy thought, I wonder if old Phil's still in pretty decent shape.
Speaker 2: And this was Philip Rivers after the game.
Speaker 5: You know, maybe maybe it will I don't know, inspire or teach you know that to you not to run or be scared of what may or may not happen, you know, hopefully, you know, certainly I think of my sons and those ball players you know that I'm in charge of at the school, Uh, that they'll say, crap, coach one's scared, you know what I mean. It's like, shoot, sometimes you uh, there is doubt and it's real and you uh again you can you can the guaranteed safe that is to is to go home or to not go for it, and the other one is shoot, let's see what happens, uh, you know. And so uh yeah, I hope that in that sense that it can it can be a positive to to some young boys, you know, or young people that as we boys.
Speaker 3: Cool we like that, especially the week we're raising money for scouting. That's a good sort of message. Go out and try something, to do something. He was old enough to be Drake May's paw paw.
Speaker 1: That's one of the young stars to remember rotary phones, to read long books about World War One and have absolutely no idea what six seven means, yeah, wow, that was fun.
Speaker 2: That was fun.
Speaker 3: I So there just aren't very many people that can play quarterback period though, that can really play it at a decent level. I remember hearing experts talk about, like one of the secrets of the NFL that people don't want to say out out loud is every year there's really only like, out of thirty teams, however, maing teams are our thirty two teams, there's really only like eight to ten guys that are really capable of being an NFL quarterback at any given time. That's why the really good ones get to play so long. Yeah, Aaron Rodgers or you know, Brett Farvar, Tom Brady or Whoever's just not many people can do that, the combination of the physical need and the mental game. They call it the hardest job and all of sports mentally, there's just not very many people can do it if you get a chance.
Speaker 1: Netflix documentary Quarterback, which follows three quarterbacks through the season, they've got a couple of seasons of it. In the first season, Peyton Manning explains what happens between breaking the huddle and the snap of the ball, and it takes paragraphs which ought to tell you something about reading, defense, canceling the play, shifting players, et cetera. All in space like ten seconds. It's really quick. Cool but anyway, good for Philip Rivers. I'm glad you didn't get killed.
Speaker 3: Well, we know that concept you always hear about in sports, and particularly with quarterbacks, is that, as they when you're in the league for a while, the game slows down. Yeah, which is I've always thought that's interesting, you know, just from the way your mind works. And I got a good example of that playing music. I have this all happen all the time. If you're playing along to a metronome and you're playing the parts you know, it just seems so slow and easy, and then as soon as you get to the part that.
Speaker 2: You don't quite know, it seems like time's been up really really fast. And it's funny that that's the way the mind works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when we know something, things seem to move slower than we're get into a you gotta make decisions. It feels like time speeds up or the other way around. If you understand it, time slows down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is interesting. I guess that's so. What is it with the opposite thing?
Speaker 3: With the car crash, though we've all had that experience where you're falling down or a car wreckor where where like time slows down and seems like it's happening more.
Speaker 1: Well, right, I think because you in your animal brain, you know, I have to be completely aware in this moment because it's life and deathy and that's what it feels. To play quarterback is certainly in the NFL, where you have the fastest, biggest, strongest behemoths in the world trying to knock your block off, and so it is semi terrifying, and I think that's part of it. But once once you know it, you've done it enough times and you know that you've seen that one hundred times, so you don't have to contemplate that whatever that is.
Speaker 2: You just know, Okay, that's fine.
Speaker 3: If you didn't hear our interview about scouting to kick off hour two, get that in the podcast Armstrong and Getty on Demand to help pretty explain pretty well, while we're raising money this week and we are go to Armstrong and Getty dot com, it's pretty easy to donate more on the way stay here Armstrong and Getty