Speaker 1: It's nine O Gene Engine with Jenny Garth and Tory spelling. Oh my gosh, Amy, our girl is on Dancing with the Stars. She's busy practicing to be here with us today.
Speaker 2: It's like, probably so much work, do you remember?
Speaker 1: Like it just nonstar No, no, no. I fully get why she can't be here because it is consuming when you go on live TV and you have to remember dance steps and remember to smile and have a personality like, it's so much work. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think people don't know it when they get into it.
Speaker 1: Especially if you're not a dancer, and Tory has no dance background none.
Speaker 2: Right, somebody could be like, do a double tap here, and you'd be like, well, it's a double tap.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I just made that up, shauset Shonte. I don't know. No, But yes, sadly Tour can't be with us today. But I'm sure you all understand she's very, very busy dance. Give her votes, ye vote for her on half on behalf of o MG podcast.
Speaker 2: But we're going to give you like trauma when you watch it.
Speaker 1: But you're like, oh god, I sit on the edge of my seat and literally I feel like I watched it on Monday or Tuesday or whenever it was, and I felt like I was gonna die. Like I was like hives.
Speaker 2: Oh, I haven't watched it in many years. Me either, like fully like, I'll watch clips, but this is the first time in years. It's pretty good show. But I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch it all. I only watched it until she danced, and then I was like, turn this off. I can't. I'm I'm climped over here. I heard podcasts listen on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Did you watch Golden Bachelorette?
Speaker 1: Was that on?
Speaker 2: I missed? You're gonna like it? I actually watching it last night and I cried, Oh, I forgot And I was texting friends, going, if she breaks these people's heart, I can't take it.
Speaker 1: I can't because the all the Bachelor, the little gut the guys or.
Speaker 2: Guys are so sweet and they like totally like her, and they're so like it's just so different. There's something different about them than the younger guys, and I'm just like, I cannot deal with it if they don't get roses.
Speaker 1: Oh, oh my god, I have to watch it after this. I'm going and sitting on my car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'll like it. Yeah, wait, what's her name?
Speaker 1: Joan?
Speaker 3: Joan?
Speaker 2: And she's sweet and the guys are it's like really good.
Speaker 1: I'm there because I don't watch any more of the regular I'm bored by it. Sorry, I'm in and out on that one.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, it's like, well.
Speaker 1: For the first I don't even know how many years it's been on, but for the all of the years until two years ago, I never watched a single episode, I couldn't tell you anything. And then it became a later like yeah it was a later grammar, no later, I got you in m This is the sad part. I don't even weird.
Speaker 2: I wonder what made you get into it from some random sheer boredom.
Speaker 1: Nighttime?
Speaker 2: No very good because they have better conversations. That's the thing I like about it is there actually like talking about stuff rather than like do you feel connection?
Speaker 1: I think we like each other. Okay, let's like.
Speaker 2: It's so, let's make out. It's yeah, where these people were actually talking about stuff and one guy cooked for her and they were playing games and pickleball and I have to say bean bag toss because I hate it with corn hole.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 1: I hate the word corn old too. That's not the name of a game, right, that's like a very gross word.
Speaker 2: But they were like just cool. And one guy made her tea and dessert and like they were in the kitchen and like.
Speaker 1: It was just way all this happened on the first episode. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: We got like one kiss.
Speaker 1: It wasn't.
Speaker 2: It's very much more about like the connections and the talking and like the cuteness than just like weird make out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like competition, I.
Speaker 2: Don't have a front runner yet, I really don't. It's sort of a game.
Speaker 1: Take your time, so each one's game right now.
Speaker 2: They cried, Almost every guy cried they got messages from home.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're gonna love it. You know when you get when you get older, it starts at like fifty, but when you get older, you start to be more sentimental about everything, and everything has so much more meaning.
Speaker 2: And then that Phil Collins song take Me Home, which is so our era. I know, like young people are probably like, what is this say me Home? I was like, I am so a mess from the song, doesn't he say?
Speaker 1: Because I don't remember?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not nice. That song was so much Well, when you see it, you'll know because the song really hit and I hit differently. Oh messed right now, Like oh, anyway, nineties we went to nineties.
Speaker 1: It's go oh my god, tell you really quickly. We went to nineties quickly. Tour wasn't able to be there. Uh, things changed in her schedule.
Speaker 2: So was you Jason.
Speaker 1: No, Jason was working in Canada, Ian Ian, Brian, gab and me. Just the four were cute.
Speaker 2: Oh that's it grew.
Speaker 1: It was cute and fun and I loved it. But it did feel like you were missing. We were missing a lot of elements, you know now. Now it was three people all of a sudden that we were missing, and it was just like, yeah, doesn't feel quite right. So but there were a lot of ladies loving you. No, all I hear about is I love Amy? Tell Amy, Hi, tell her, I love her.
Speaker 2: Oh that is so nice.
Speaker 1: That makes my whole day, just say, you know, because sometimes not so much on the internet. Well don't know that.
Speaker 2: Wait, so was it enjoyable? You know what?
Speaker 1: For me? I love it. I love it. I love it. I think anybody will probably say this, or any of the talent or whatever that's there. It's so nice to connect with the fans like that, and it fills your heart with love and it gives you purpose because you are making people happy and that justifies everything.
Speaker 2: Then, yeah, did you see the Melrose Place girls?
Speaker 1: They were there sell late. I saw the ladies. I thought that was pretty cool, all the late Josie Bissett was there, also Laura and Day and Heather was there. Heather was there and Grant, Grant's only guy. I think he looks good.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: He looks real good. I think he does.
Speaker 2: Somebody from iHeart. We had a couple of people there and they said the hotel lobby is the best thing you could ever experience though, because like you're in the hotel lobby and you just see everybody coming and going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true, because that's the only way you can get to your room. You gotta go to that lobby. I'm like, is there a backstaircase? Because I don't like, you know, I'm a little like shy. I'm shy and I don't like a lot of people, and I get real quiet around a lot of famous people. That's the weirdest part. That's so weird, and so I do everything I can to avoid it. But one night. I did sit down there with Gab, and this is the funniest thing. I didn't notice anybody else that was around, but I did feel the ears of people that weren't part of the convention, that had figured out a total to the lobby and you'll see all they be better than the convention, I would think. So you'll be talking and all of a sudden, the people that were talking behind you, you're notice that it's completely silent because I want to hear, and they're listening to the things that you're saying. So it's like, oh God, I gotta get out of here. But but Gab was like, you know what, I'm We decided we were tired. Let's just order. She she was like, I found a PF Chains down the street. I'm going to order for them. What do you want? Oh my god. I was like, oh, you're going to do the ordering? Okay? So I told her what I wanted and she sat there for no shit one hour wait trying to put the order in on her phone. She couldn't.
Speaker 2: She doesn't know how to use online ordering.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if it was that compiled with like I'm not sure what the problem was, but she was hilarious.
Speaker 2: Why don't she just call?
Speaker 1: She ultimately did call because they messed up and then they canceled the order.
Speaker 2: Oh whoa.
Speaker 1: And then she was on the phone with them, and all of a sudden they were as sending desserts and things because it was not a happy camper. And yeah, I was making fun of her the whole time, because we did. We waited two hours for our dinner. By the time it got there, I had gone up to my room, taken a bath, and come back, gotten into my robe and just said, why don't you guys come up to my room and I'll eat here.
Speaker 2: Wait.
Speaker 1: I kind of love that though. Oh Yeahriel hand delivered the food to my.
Speaker 2: I wish they would do it somewhere like in California. It's so like it would be fun to not have to travel for it.
Speaker 1: She was funny. She's like, yeah, I don't usually do the ordering. I really tried hard.
Speaker 2: Where were you, Florida?
Speaker 1: Oh god, we were in Daytona. Oh wow, wow wow. Yeah. No, no, you know, I met quite a number of nice people that live there, and they love their lives, but I don't think I could live.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people love Florida. I don't know that I would love Florida. I've never been to Florida. I've never been past Arizona. No, I've been in New Mexico.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you can't. You can't drive to Flora. I went to New York once. I did fly. You flew to New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah. With Ryan Seacrest, I was a little more brave back in my twenties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense, not super brave, though. I didn't like it. Do you think you'll ever fly again? Amy?
Speaker 2: Maybe when I'm like eighty and I've just like gone, like, I don't have anything to be scared of.
Speaker 1: Now, what if? Okay, what if one of your nieces who you love so much was to get married on the East Coast? What would happen? A train?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just for Ryan Seacrest. I held his hand for five hours on that flight.
Speaker 1: Five hours. He probably was like I do remember him afterwards saying, you don't have to travel, Aney, please don't travel like me ever again. Oh my god. Should we talk about that episode?
Speaker 2: Yes, let's talk about the gambling, so I know we're going to get into it all. I was very torn because I sort of thought the gambling was a little bit ridiculous because it was like, you know, that's not real gambling, like the fact that they pretended you could use real money. I don't think you can do that.
Speaker 1: I think, but it was a fundraiser, so you probably could use real money, but it wasn't like you were going to get it back.
Speaker 2: Correct, that's right, Like you buy in probably because this is like a fundraiser in California. You're not allowed to do that in California. So gambling like that, Yeah, you get like chips, you can, you can have mock casinos, but you'd like, I think you then take your chips and buy like a Teddy Bear, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, oh yeah, they did say like you could go get your Casher chips in for prizes.
Speaker 2: Right, And he was so obsessed. That was weird.
Speaker 1: We have a lot to talk about.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, I was like enjoyable callback in that, Like if he truly was sort of a gambling addict lack of a better word, he.
Speaker 1: Still would be.
Speaker 2: So I was like, Okay, I'm actually sort of okay with this that they brought it back. It was just so over the top for me, Like he was so crazy at a fundraiser. I'm like, this isn't Vegas, dude, Like this isn't real money.
Speaker 1: We are gonna break it down.
Speaker 3: Hey everyone, Amy Roboch here along with TJ Holmes, and we have a very exciting amount what's been to make to all of you.
Speaker 4: We are expanding. We are now going to be coming to you Monday through Friday for a new part of our Amy and TJ franchise, if you will, the Morning Run. We're going to help listeners navigate the busy news cycle and the historic political season that the country is facing. And we're going to do this now each and every day.
Speaker 3: Wow, we have a news franchise now, I like the way you put that.
Speaker 1: We're going to be covering all the latest news headlines for all of you.
Speaker 3: We'll have entertainment updates, and we'll even give some perspective on the current events that are happening right now. And this, by the way, is in addition to our already established bi weekly podcasts that we hope you guys are tuning into as well, with more in depth conversations and interviews. So we're going to be with you Monday through Friday with Morning Run. Listen to morning run on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: We're back. We are talking about season six, episode fourteenth, Fortune Its Son air December thirteenth, nineteen ninety five. Amy, you want to read this anopsens.
Speaker 2: Brandon rolls the dice and almost loses his girlfriend. Meanwhile, Valerie puts her money where her mouth is when it comes to Colin. Yes, Steve, I know that was weird. I can't wait to talk about that. Steve tries to save his boss from getting fired. I enjoyed this, and Donna tries to save a latchkey kid from being home alone. I enjoyed these sort of secondary storylines.
Speaker 1: Yes, directed by directed by James Fargo, written by so many people, Lana Free, Stat Melman, Steve Wasserman, John Eisendratht, John Welpley, Jessica Klein, and Larry Mullin. I mean, how many people doesn't take to write an episode?
Speaker 5: Do you?
Speaker 2: Maybe they hich wrote one of the storylines.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's the new boss is saying, everybody, take a storyline and we'll all come together at the ard.
Speaker 2: I'm not mad about it, because there was something about this episode. That I liked in that I like not going on. Lots going on. We've got this fundraiser, We've got the whole storyline with Donna and working at the convenience store by the way, who lets you fill in for somebody at a place you don't work right for one day just because you're on the.
Speaker 1: Face fine, Like that was just I mean, she had to get her shift covered, but yeah, you would normally get your shift covered by somebody else that.
Speaker 2: Works there, correct, Like how did she know how to use the register? There's no training?
Speaker 1: Like what is she selling alcohol and stuff? In the story? Like that? That was just make sense, completely bananas.
Speaker 2: Then the Steve storyline I was super into.
Speaker 1: And how about so out there? Like where'd that come from? Though? And the boss was such a bad guy.
Speaker 2: That was like she basically said she doesn't sleep with me? What?
Speaker 1: Like what insane?
Speaker 2: The whole thing was so good. And Valerie, I don't even get because I don't get your ex a nation, which we'll get to.
Speaker 1: We started the beach House where Donna shows off her work uniform to Joe because yep, she's filling in for Lisa, who's at a place she's never worked there's eleven or whatever.
Speaker 2: No paperwork, no W nine or whatever you have to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no training, the.
Speaker 2: Right, no background check. Like they just trust her. I mean yeah, very far fetched. Joe doesn't know where anything is or how to do the job. But yet she was crushing it.
Speaker 1: She looked great. I thought the red lipstick was a good choice.
Speaker 2: She looked great. It was a great convenience store. But it was like, I don't know the kid, I don't know, I don't We're not there yet.
Speaker 1: Joe tells Donna that he wants to drive her to work because it's not a safe area, and when Donna says it's safe for Lisa, Joe replies, it's because she's local. Doo. Donna calls him out and says because she's black, and Joe says, no, no, no, she's just looking out for her. He's just looking out for her. Donna assures him she will be fine, but he drives her anyway.
Speaker 2: And get a map quest Joe, like, you can't get out of the neighborhood.
Speaker 1: You were born and raised here. Like did he get lost?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why they they get lost, and then they ran out of gas. I mean, first of all far fetched, so far fetched.
Speaker 1: Joe I also was like, wait, why how does she know stand so well already? The guy that worked there, Like they go way back. She's like Stan.
Speaker 2: It was so she would Okay, keep going, we're going over it.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're going. I have to keep you on the rails.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I started wanted to play that storyline through. It's almost like I was watching four different episodes.
Speaker 1: That's the thing about the all the different right now. Yeah, really three, which is kind of needle, but like also very different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say it was three different, totally different episodes because the gambling and the calling of it kind of crossover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that felt like the a storyline. Yeah, because in the Hub and the peapad so and then the other and everything else was out and about. But I like that how they're trying to service all the actors though.
Speaker 2: That kind of Yeah, we finally got like a Steve storyline. They finally gave him something to do.
Speaker 1: We're at the peach pit after dark and Valerie walks up to Kelly and says, thank you for that. Oh. Valerie wants Kelly to thank her for letting her hold her sorority casino. Night at the peach pit, and Kelly reluctantly says thank you. Now it was such a bitch off.
Speaker 2: It was who can be bitch here? And I was like, this is great, I think Kelly actually can I agree? Although, but Valerie is so conniving, like she is very kind of bessive. Aggressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kelly was just aggressive Kelly. She val is like, what how can I twist this into something that suits me? And val and Kelly is more like defensive of like, don't do that. She doesn't.
Speaker 2: Kelly is just so done with this girl, and Valerie's just still going for it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you think that they would stay away from each other. We head back to the blackjack table, where Brandon tells Steve to go home and rest up for his talent agency internship. So that's the first time we learn about what's gonna happen with Steve coming up. Steve tells him that he's been assigned to a hot female agent with no talent. But why would she have no talent? Well, no, I think she has no talent. He Steve is assigned to a hot female agent with no talent, meaning she doesn't want, she doesn't have any she doesn't have any clients. Come to find out she doesn't have any talent either. But yeah, right, she's a cute haircut though. Yeah, she was anorable. She reminded me of like the other Bonds that we've had on the show. Yes, all the all the other bonds she does. Yes, Susan comes over and Brandon says that he will teach her how to gamble.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, Susan. I just she trips me out because I really remember these episodes and yet not Susan. It's like so weird. I remember all this, I remember this whole season, and yet she was so.
Speaker 1: Not in my mind.
Speaker 2: But yet she's in every episode and she's very prominent and major, and it's like nothing.
Speaker 1: And she's and she's spunky and like says things that you know, she feels memorable as I'm watching it now, but I don't really doesn't.
Speaker 2: Honestly, do you remember hanging out with her?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I saw her not that long ago and we were passing and she said hi to me, and I had no clue who it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like she bless her heart. Like it's so weird because I in the.
Speaker 1: Color she's a talented actress, like and I remember everything about Joe everything, So maybe that was just I think it's the abs. Yeah, yeah, let's see inside the peach bit. Nat reminds brand No, this is he gets real Brandon. Yeah, you got a gambling addiction. Brandon assures him that he doesn't want to go through that again. And there was a flashback scene where Duke played by Billy Vera that was rad is collecting Brandon's gambling debt. So he does in his mind, He's like, ooh, that takes me back to a bad place.
Speaker 2: And that's probably so mad because Mad had to bail him out. Didn't that have to give him ten grand?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, didn't that? He never got that money back. I don't really remember where would he get it? How would Brandon get ten thousand dollars back?
Speaker 2: Then, I'd be like sixty thousand dollars or one hundred thousand dollars, whoa, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when you put it into that context, he did have a really bad gambling problem in one.
Speaker 2: Episode, in one episode, yeah, I think it had. Maybe I think it might have been a couple two episodes, but we have heard nothing of it in many years, and then now it's back.
Speaker 1: Back Kelly's sitting in a booth and Colin comes over and they talk about the charity event and how one of the prizes is a sitting with the famous Colin what's his last name? No clue, Collin Gucci the artist, and then make.
Speaker 2: A real problem with this storyline because the payoff makes no sense whatsoever.
Speaker 1: They kiss and Valerie is, of course peeping in the background. He's visibly upset by it. Why and I don't know why?
Speaker 2: Why David.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, you're done, You're done.
Speaker 2: What's her what's her fixation? She wants to relive like camp? Remember they made out in camp or something?
Speaker 4: Weird.
Speaker 2: Colin just is so ugh. I'm not a Calling fan.
Speaker 1: You are so not a Calling fan because I watching. I was a fan of his in the moment, but.
Speaker 2: Wait till later. The problem is he's so bad later that I can't go back and now, like him in the beginning, I'm like, this guy sucks.
Speaker 1: He feels schwarmie. Is that a word?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, schmarmy. I think is like bugs that are gathering around you. But schmarmy, No.
Speaker 1: That's a swarm, oh swarm. But schmarmie is like, maybe you eat a phish Kebob or something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's schmarmy. And he was sleeping with that woman and you just forgave for that.
Speaker 1: Why did she like this, Kelly? No, he was sleeping with that woman.
Speaker 2: Yes, I watched he watched that a while ago. Yes, he was like, she was like his sugar mama, sugar mama. Oh, get back with Brandon.
Speaker 1: My gosh, let's go to the talent agency. Steve is there answering the phone accurate, set accurate, set the cubicles. And then there there's like a thirty eight year old male, a guy that works in the mail room. A thirty eight year old man who works in the mail room and comes around and says.
Speaker 2: But he's also in the fraternity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then he says, are you going to go to the peach pit after dark?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: What is this guy his life is?
Speaker 2: But he said, he goes to see you also, and it's just in a different for term. That guy he just looked old. Yeah, we think he is in his twenties. The mailroom's probably pretty accurate, though, don't you know, don't you remember when we were young, all those people that would go work at the agency's it still.
Speaker 1: Happens, you guys. My daughter Lola's boyfriend, Gabe Hi Gabe. He just did an internship at a big management firm and there were people he didn't start out in the mailroom, but there were people in his internship that were starting out in the mailroom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they make you I mean this room.
Speaker 1: Is there actual mail in the mailroom still or how does that work?
Speaker 2: Because of that is a great question that the mailroom probably is not as.
Speaker 1: Who mails things these days, right, is not as much of a priority as it probably was back in the day because you just email it. Maybe you're just fielding general emails.
Speaker 2: When I started working this, well, people are going to be bored by.
Speaker 1: The story, but that's okay, I won't be.
Speaker 2: There was no email. So if the if the general manager who I worked for, needed to send something to the you know person down in the newsroom, he would type it, put it in an envelope, hand it to me. I had to put it in a different He would type it on paper, Type it on paper, do or have an assistant type it so he would type it, say it into a little dictaphone. She would type it, put it in an envelope, It would then go into a yellow sort of Manila envelope and tell me where to go. I would then carry it from the big office upstairs, down the stairs, down the hallway down to the newsroom, and then I would either wait for a response to bring it back up.
Speaker 4: Wait.
Speaker 1: They didn't have elevators. I don't go on elevators, but there was an elevator, or they would.
Speaker 2: I would drop it off, go back and wait and then like somebody would deliver the response. I mean, it was so crazy. I did that all day long. Take a letter down to there, take this letter back up there because there was no email.
Speaker 1: I don't really love this story. You really got your steps in though, totally.
Speaker 2: This was in the early nineties and that was how you communicated a memo through Amy Sugarman. Yeah, just carrying stuff all over the office.
Speaker 1: Here I go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I worked for the big boss. So people would be if and terrified like an envelope, and if it was really serious, it would say personal and confidential. That meant oh, like what happened to the lady in this episode. That was so real, except that was weird that it came in the mail. But maybe we were not too It wasn't mail, it was an inner office delivery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, wow, let's go to Oh no, no, let's figure this out. Hold on one second. Sorry, sorry, sorry at the talent agency. So he gets the that he gets the invite to the peepad after dark from the old guy, and then Steve is answering the phones and he's very professional. Yes, he's very good at his john, really good with absolutely no. I guess it's been around it right, like from from Samantha. And then Tammy Kane, the cute blonde lady, is already annoyed with him. She's very yes, she doesn't like him from the get.
Speaker 2: Go, right, but then that switches when she realizes he's like the boss's friend. She perked right up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Then then his dad's friend Scottie comes in and well this yeah guy. Hey, Tammy asks Scotti to assign Steve to her permanently.
Speaker 2: Right because because now she overheard there friend there that he knows the big boss somehow and he's tight with the big boss. And the big Boss was like, let's grow up lunch, and suddenly she was like.
Speaker 1: I need to keep this guy. Very smart cookie.
Speaker 2: Maybe she knew she wasn't good at her job.
Speaker 1: Maybe that was going to help her bag at the liquor store. We find that Donna has finally made her way there without a Way's map. Thank god. I wanted to be like, can you print out a map? Quest right?
Speaker 2: Remember you have to use you just have to print that out. Yeah, you'd be like, where am I going? Let me get the directions printed out. I don't know how we got Remember, I, first of all, I hate when I don't say remember the word is not member, it's remember.
Speaker 1: I never had the.
Speaker 2: Thomas Guide that.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that guide.
Speaker 2: I know because I didn't live here.
Speaker 1: People that don't know that don't live here don't know what a Tom's Guide is. But if you ever lived in LA in the nineties, you know what a Tom's Guide is. It's like this thick bible and you turn it and you like find the address you want to go to, and then you go find that piece of paper that corresponds with that number, and then you go down on one side and then down. It felt very scientific.
Speaker 2: Razy that you guys could figure out how to do it.
Speaker 1: I razy loved the Thomas Guide, and in fact, if I could have one again, I would go back to it because it actually made you use your brain.
Speaker 2: It made my head explode because I came. I moved here right as I think it was called map quest, and you would like put it in a computer and it would print out the directions, like turn by turn directions. Yeah, but people still were doing Thomas guides and I was like, I don't know how you possibly are doing that. It was like a map reading. It was in a very thick book because there's a lot of streets in Race totally bananas. Anyway, Anyway, I don't know why we're talking about that. Oh yeah, because she got to the candy, got.
Speaker 1: To the thing. Yeah. Donna's working in the cast register when a kid comes up to her to price check a Teddy Bear. He says that it's for his brother's birthday, but he says he forgot it. But he says forget it. When Donna says it it's four dollars in ninety ninety cents, a kid tries to steal the pusu ninety nine. That's fun. Yeah, well kids, So the kid decides obviously to steal it, but I'm sure the worth or that stops him, and Donna jumps in and covers for the kid and says that he paid for the teddy bear and then she puts her own money in the cash register. Was very sweet of her, very very sweet.
Speaker 2: And I had a moment of panic because I saw her put the five in and I thought, she's not gonna remember the tax. She's not going to remember the tax and at the end of the day, the cash register is not gonna had up right, But she then blopped some coins in.
Speaker 1: Wow, very sweet?
Speaker 2: Did remember the tax? How she knows how to use that cash reister? Or do tax?
Speaker 1: I know you. Joe comes to pick Donna up after work and that kid Isaiah with a teddy Bear is waiting outside to thank her and tells her that he wants her to know that she's not he's not a thief. I liked him from the start, that little kid. I was like, this kid's actually cool and I'm into it. Yeah, he's really cute.
Speaker 2: Storyline has no connection to anything else happening in this whole episode, though, as I realized.
Speaker 1: That, which I don't mind.
Speaker 2: I know, but I definitely think you're right that like those writers to talk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe you should have second in the room. Back at the talent agency, the male guy talks to Steve and mentions the kid care benefit of the peach pit after dark and that he's going to go even though he's way, way, way too old. He's in college, isn't.
Speaker 2: He's like in the opposing for terms.
Speaker 1: That man is not in college.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, he's not a keg man. He's like an SAE or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Does that mean you've been out of college for twenty years? Because that's how old he was.
Speaker 2: Look at how bless your heart Steve is.
Speaker 1: I can't well, I believe old. I believe he's there. Steve opens Tammy's personal and confidential mail.
Speaker 2: What if you said to she said too, she said, I don't like rips. Remember he had to use the like letter cutter letter opener, and then he finds that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he find that she's got a termination letter. So we quickly makes another envelope and seals the letter back up, so she doesn't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think anyone gets fired with a letter, but I could be wrong. Right that felt it feels like you get called in to somebody.
Speaker 1: She comes by, she gets the letter and uh, we see Tammy cry. Oh yeah, that was actually painful. Yeah, because she did not see that coming. No, we've known her for thirty three seconds, already invested in her livelihood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, I don't know you, but I care and I'm sorry you got shit canned by this very creepy boss. Yeah, Like, why don't you just go back and be like, don't fire me because you're creepy and gross.
Speaker 6: Jenny Garth, Jana Kramer, Amy Roeboch and TJ. Holmes bring you I Do Part two, one of a kind experiment in podcast to help you find love again. If you didn't get it right the first time, it's time to try try again, as they guide you through this podcast experiment in dating.
Speaker 5: Hey, I'm Jana Kramer. As they say, those that cannot do teach. Actually, I think I finally got it right, So take the failures I've had the second or even third whatever, maybe the fourth time around.
Speaker 1: I'm Jenny Garth. Twenty nine years ago, Kelly Taylor said these words, I choose me. She made her choice, She chose herself when it comes to love, choose you first.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, I'm Amy Rovoch and I'm TJ.
Speaker 4: Holmes, and we are well not necessarily relationship experts. If you're ready to dive back into the dating pool and find lasting love. Finally, we want to help.
Speaker 5: Listen to I Do Part two starting September nineteenth on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: We go back where Joe has picked Anna up and he's driving the streets of la and he again he gets lost, all nervous, gets lost in mad neighborhood, bad neighborhood. He's on the other side of the tracks. If you oh got it?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Donna asks why men never ask for directions? And then he runs completely out of gas. First of all, very predictable and stupid.
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, we all know we have thirty miles at least when the light goes on. Yeah, so that means he started out with the light in Beverly Hill.
Speaker 1: This is the thing.
Speaker 2: Beverly Hills to wherever they are is literally nine miles. It could take an hour, correct, but it's it's all real close. So he'd left the house with the light on, you know, the gas he and he had old day to get gas.
Speaker 1: It's just he dropped her off in the morning, and.
Speaker 2: He's such a responsible guy. There's no way he was criss around on fumes.
Speaker 1: It's just not having it. Doesn't try to run out of gas, have you? No, But I've been with my Peter used to run out of gassle.
Speaker 2: So the reason I ran out I ran. I've run out of gas multiple times because I when I lived here, I had a car and the gas cage broke. I can't remember which that was good, So I had to do it by the mile counter, Like every time I got gas, you'd have to reset and go, I'm got about three hundred miles and I would forget to look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so I.
Speaker 2: Probably ran out of gas five times in that car. That was that that the gas thing broke.
Speaker 1: Did you ever run out of gas in an area that you felt unsafe in? I ran out of gas on the freeway, Like that'll do it. Wait what did you do?
Speaker 2: Did you call Triple A and just.
Speaker 1: Like like I cheat over to the Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Don't remember being like panicked.
Speaker 1: I might have made it off.
Speaker 2: No, I mean many times I ran out of gas and Triple A comes and they like kind of top you off and then.
Speaker 1: You wait, wait, if you we should tell the listeners if you run out of gas on a freeway, our freeways are.
Speaker 2: Like six solarly so gnarly, Like this is what people need to know that. I'm sure like tons of people live in California that listen to us. But I just drove down from San Francisco and it's a pretty chill drive down the water. It was like two lanes maybe minute you hit La. Like I Am not kidding. You literally leave Ventura and you are now on the one oh one in La. Immediately everyone's going fifteen miles faster. It feels like that. Immediately my mom was in the car and she's like, oh my god, and I go wanna it's the second you get here, it's just people.
Speaker 1: I've never I mean I've been all over the world. I've never seen forree guys with that many lanes.
Speaker 2: Very explaines like it's crazy.
Speaker 1: I know that if I've I grew up in La, so driving in that kind of traffic doesn't FaZe me one bit. I'm like m zoom in and out of totally.
Speaker 2: I said to my mom, you should never drive here, Like I don't think.
Speaker 1: She's get out for it. No, I don't think certain people should drive here. Absolutely not. And then when you teach your daughters to drive in LA like I had to do. But now I know they can drive anywhere and they can. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: I don't see how people drive in New York, but that would be a whole nother thing.
Speaker 1: So anyway, anyway, Donna asks why men never ask for directions, which is a good question.
Speaker 2: It's like that's such an old time thing. Oh, gil up, men can't answ for directions. That's like an old Do you think that still holds though? Well, I think now everyone has a phone you just type it in, so it's not even around anymore. But that was that was sort of an old tale.
Speaker 1: Is all a time? This guy won't ask for directions? His egos too big? Yeah, it looks like a loser.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: They leave Joe's truck parked and they go to look for a phone or gas.
Speaker 2: And immediately it's like the most dangerous place.
Speaker 1: Yeh in America and on the streets and like that drive by got like right, it's not like that. I mean, it might be like that, and I just haven't been to that neighborhood, but I have.
Speaker 2: And I've never experienced that. Like that was really over the top. The whole thing was just so over the top.
Speaker 1: It was very extreme.
Speaker 2: Actually, frankly was somewhat of an this is weird to say, but like this was in somewhat of a nice neighborhood with nice.
Speaker 1: Homes, Like it was just like this is not skid row like what it was like boys in the hood. All of a sudden, like we cut to that movie seriously. We go to the Kassa Walsh. Brandon is sitting in the kitchen trying to learn how to count cards. So right there we see like something's a bruin with Brandon and his addiction. And then Brandon tells her that Jim and Cindy aren't coming home for Christmas, which is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: And first of all, the fact that they say Jim and Cindy, Like wouldn't you say, oh, I'm sorry, Mom and Dad aren't coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but why wouldn't they come home for Christmas? That doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Because they aren't being paid enough money anymore by the.
Speaker 1: Aaron Spelling Box company. They're having too much fun as donsters.
Speaker 4: We go to.
Speaker 1: We've on the Streets Before when Donna and Joe were looking for gas. That's where Isaiah comes up to her and says Donna, Joe, Oh yeah, come on over for dinner. I'm so glad you guys are here. So he like saves them from the bad guys.
Speaker 2: Like, first of all, correct, it's just so ridiculous. And they're they've driven, oh sorry, they've driven many many minutes, right, so they're way away from the convenience store. I guess they were circling. But the odds that they're going to be in front of his house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's it's all perfect, it's great, it's hot. They go inside, they go into this kid's apartment because they guess right in the phone or something, and they see that Isaiah is taking care of his siblings while his mom is at work. He's afraid that child Services will find out that the kids are left alone, and Donna promises not to say anything and orders pizza for everybody. Okay, Donna, you need to mind your own bees wax. This is what I'm going to say to this whole storyline.
Speaker 2: The storyline is good, but can I say this, and I hope I say this the right way. It's just so like misconceptions, stereotypical, like gross, it's pretty gross. And then the mom, the mom comes home I don't want your help.
Speaker 1: I'm yelling at Donna, saying, get out of her house. You got no business. Get what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Then she comes around.
Speaker 1: It's just so I love the mom by the way. She told a badass like she's making it all worry and Donna has to butt her nose it and tell her she's not doing it right and be.
Speaker 4: So like.
Speaker 1: It was so ugh. I was like, oh God, yeah, uh, we're going back to We go to the peach bed after dark and we see that Lisa r Rose Queen and Kelly are saying, I wonder where Donna is. So it kind of like intermixes the storylines, right.
Speaker 2: And then there was some sort of like a conflict there that was quickly resolved. Remember oh oh yeah, that was when Donna shows up. Sorry I jumped ahead, because Donna and Lisa have a little bit of a conflict over helping the family, and then quickly that was resolved.
Speaker 1: Back at the apartment, Joe says it's not right and thank you Joe to be butting into these kids lives. But Donna says she refuses to leave these kids home alone. She's very police in this moment, like Mama was coming through here, and then the mom comes in and says, oh the hell are you people?
Speaker 2: Seriously? Can you imagine you come home and there's two random adults that you don't know with your children.
Speaker 1: I would be like and telling you. I would call the police and telling you you're not raising your kids right. And you've ordered them pizza. Weird? What's on that pizza? Yeah, if they don't eat cheese, like she don't know. We go back to the beach d after dark. Nat catches Brandon getting more money to gamble, and Brandon says that was a long time ago and the statue of limitations has expired.
Speaker 2: Brandon is so unhinged in this episode, like that like zero to sixty. But maybe the fake gambling. That's the thing, Brandon, You're not in Vegas. This is fake gambling like.
Speaker 1: Raffle tickets. I'm really is excited about it. It's so addicted. Yeah. They head to the dice table and Brandon is out of control. Susan says you need to stop, and Nat comes over to stop him, and that blocked his h and he beats him. Brandon loses way to go Nat, so that whole thing is shut down real fast.
Speaker 2: And then but Brandon was so, you know, to the cashier, just so I need more, give me more, and he's like, we're closed during the auction.
Speaker 1: Not even a real cashier, bake.
Speaker 2: It's like you're at an elementary school blackjack night. Brandon like what?
Speaker 1: And then of course Steve's boss, Tammy Kane comes in to the peach bit after that's so random looking for how does she know he's there? Just terry eyed. She takes him aside and asks him to help her. First of all, Steve to talk to Scott and save her her job.
Speaker 2: Literally, in what world is anyone that's got a job going to the intern to try and save them and.
Speaker 1: Make them go back to the office. Night Riday night he leaves. I know her friend, he's always there until eleven, Like what Friday? Would Steve be that soft that he would leave his his evening, his girlfriend, his party and go do this. It's just a little little outlandish, is what it is.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Then we cut to and see Susan telling Brandon that he is out of control. Kelly introduces Nat to the stage to start the auction, and she places a bid of three hundred dollars to sit for the Colin feral painting session. I don't know what his last name is. Then Valerie of course comes in and bids four hundred dollars and tell and tells Kelly that she is not going to let her have him without a fight, which just gets so weird. And we think because that she was looking at them the way she was in the beginning, kissing like that, we think she just wants to win Colin. So it's very bizarre.
Speaker 2: It's so stupid, Jenny. It's like, clearly, this is why I was so frustrated by this. First of all, it's like it's such a silly Valerie, like you're doing this competition with the betting. First of all, you know, Colin, if you really want to if the true, if it was true in quotes that you wanted to get David a portrait, you just go to Colin and be like, can I give you a hundred bucks? You don't need to make a scene outbidding. It was so crazy. I don't believe it. I actually think that she was trying to just one up you and then she panicked. This is all in my head, never on the show. This is all just what I think that David was like fu Valerie like and then she's like came up with that in her scheming mind, like no, no, I was getting you this for your Christmas present. Oh okay, all is right in the world, and you you Jenny Kelly forgive her also, like everybody is falling for this crap.
Speaker 1: Well, she doesn't forgive it right away, but once once she hears that it was a gift for David.
Speaker 2: But that was a lie that was in my mind.
Speaker 1: That was just total Look, I fully believe.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm like, this just doesn't track. Why would she be so beauchy about it and one upping? She would have just been like, hey, Colin, can you do a session with me? It was so dumb.
Speaker 1: When Kelly beat Kelly at something anything, It was so dumb. Yeah, we go and we see salaries. Mean, sorry, she's just got ill intentions.
Speaker 2: She was not trying to get a session to give a gift. So am I to understand like Colin's gonna paint her and that's going to be for David.
Speaker 1: Well, I am to understand it was I believe.
Speaker 2: As an audience, everyone's mad at me.
Speaker 1: This is where I take it.
Speaker 2: Everyone's mad at me.
Speaker 1: Now I'm Valerie.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna make this up and say, oh, it was all for David, and then everyone's going to be fine with it.
Speaker 1: You think it was because she wanted to have a sitting with Colin Coward. I'm thinking of names now every time because she's wants to make the moves on them, or just she wants to just beat you, like get in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it was like, this is so bananas.
Speaker 1: I can't be ause bananas anyway. Oh, they're acting like children. I don't get it. It was just so dumb.
Speaker 2: If you watch Dancing with the Stars, I can say this and Karna will probably say the same thing. I don't think that we had great dancing chemistry.
Speaker 1: Then you need to be listening to sex lies and spray tent. My partner Ardam, he was so intense that made me.
Speaker 2: Really nervous with Cerril. But Editor didn't wear a lot of clothes.
Speaker 1: No, she was she did super ankles warm. Get the behind the scenes of what goes down on and off the dance floor.
Speaker 3: Dancing with the Stars breaths body image issues for women.
Speaker 1: The thinner you are, the more attention you end up getting on that show.
Speaker 2: Injuries, my phone rings, Hey, Christian, Hey business, Yeah, I saw you're dancing with the stars.
Speaker 4: I saw what happened to your arm, and I have the perfect guy to fix it.
Speaker 1: Honestly, got to the clara, I'm like, I'm just trying to survive. I'm just trying to make it out out of this season.
Speaker 2: Ego, she wanted to kill me. It was real bad insecure on the show. It was like everyone was talking about my weight and it really affected my confidence so much for years to come and betrayals.
Speaker 1: Because of that one betrayal, I knew this is probably my last season. Listen to Sex, Lies and Spray Sands with Cheryl Burke, new episodes every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Speaker 3: My name is Cheryl Burke, and I approved this message.
Speaker 1: Steve goes back to his job and he he finds out that Scott is the dirt bag basically and says that Dammy didn't sleep with him, so that's why she got fired.
Speaker 3: Ugh.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: It was very like everything in this episode was so cliche.
Speaker 1: Is that the word or everything stereotypical to the cliche?
Speaker 2: Everything was yes, so out, Oh she's fired because she's not sleeping with the boss. And then the boss says that like even back then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not giving us like any credit as an audience to put two and two together or to have like any kind of creativity like you're having about the backstory or anything. It's just also like.
Speaker 2: What boss, even if the boss was firing her because she wouldn't sleep with him, what fool boss is gonna say that to Steve Sanders.
Speaker 1: Oh, this was the nineties, you could say things like that and it didn't matter. So dumb.
Speaker 2: And then she's sort of like, do to do?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's so stupid. We go back to the PA pad and we see that Donna. People get really mad by the way when I say pea pad.
Speaker 2: I know, but keep it going.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: We go back to the PA pad and Donna is realizing how good she has it because she was in the bad neighborhood all day and she says that today was a reminder of that, and Joe responds by saying that she shouldn't feel guilty about what she has. She feels bad for Isaiah. Oh yeah, then she's like, I know, like it was just like come on, we go inside and here's this moment you're talking about. Donna tells Lisa that Isaiah is a latch key kid who was left a home alone, and Lisa tells her it's it's not a doctor. This is funny. Lisa says, you're okay, Donna, it's not adopt a black family day and to stay out of people's business, which is what we're all thinking the whole time. So Lisa is, in fact the real deal. And I don't know when Donna became so passionate about saving all the children. And Donna had a good explanation. I will give her that, like this is what we said in.
Speaker 2: The rose court and we're not doing it, which I was like, okay, fine.
Speaker 1: Well she really took it to heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then and then in the end it was all tied up in a nice little bow.
Speaker 1: But yeah, here we are at the playground at the daycare.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's see, and we'll never see these people ever again. I'm pretty sure. No, so insane.
Speaker 1: Steve comes back and tells Tammy Tammy Kane that she's not going to get her job back.
Speaker 2: Because in what world would that have worked? And he made but if my said something like that to me, I'd be like, yeah, you need to go.
Speaker 1: He went all the way to the agency and back, and nothing really transpired at the peach pit after dark, well.
Speaker 2: In five minutes while she just ate her fries and her megaburger or whatever, Like what I love this episode, by the way. I know it seems like I don't. I love to poke holes in it, but this is going to be a ten for me.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, stop it. He tells her that his dad gave him some good advice. It said, be nice to be nice to the people you see on the way up, because you'll be seeing them again on your way back up again. I was like, huh wait. I couldn't get it. I couldn't figure.
Speaker 2: I was like, huh, Like, I'm thinking he's gonna say, don't I see him on the way up, You'll see him on the way down.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Maybe he could have even said on the way back up again. That was what he's sort of saying, is that, like in this town, it's ups and downs, ups and downs.
Speaker 1: But I was just like, basically, don't burn any bridges. Yeah that's just what you know.
Speaker 2: Whatever, Yeah, burn the bridge with the creepy boss guy that fired you because you're not sleeping with him, Like what.
Speaker 5: The what?
Speaker 2: And didn't they call it like it M or something instead of I seem like I was like that amused me. In this show, they just change everything by.
Speaker 1: One letter, so convenience.
Speaker 2: Like you all go to see you Colorado, you know, uh, we go.
Speaker 1: We see Brandon and Nat talking about how great Brandon is that he helped him with his gambling addiction again, and Nat says that he better work on things before he loses something important. Yeah, it was not supposed to be, Susan. Yeah, I guess, said Susan.
Speaker 2: How about his friendship with Nat?
Speaker 1: But whatever, stupid loved it, but stupid. Yeah. We find out that they raised eleven thousand dollars that night, which is pretty good. Yeah, that's very very helpful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was pretty good back then that would be like, like I said, sixty seventy one hundred. No, I don't know how what inflation is, but this is thirty years ago.
Speaker 1: We're right here, We're right we're tying the boat right now. Yeah, we're really looping the loops and pulling the strings cause Donna says that, you know, she wraps up her storyline. Brandon confesses to Susan that he has a gambling problem and Susan of course, forgives him and says, I want to help him, help you. But I was getting major mom vibes there, like, yeah, not girlfriend vibes. Yeah, I was getting a little weird. And then Donna goes to the park and she meets who else but Isaiah's mom there to apologize to her for intruding into her.
Speaker 2: I don't want to correct you, but I believe that was the playground of the day care.
Speaker 1: The playground of the daycare maybe, yeah, that's where the daycare is, like a swing set thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's gonna she's not too prideful, she's gonna accept the help.
Speaker 1: But why is why is as long as I say, as mom there, if she's got a job, she has to.
Speaker 2: Donna called her down. Donna said, come meet me. I know you hate me, but come meet me.
Speaker 1: Got them into the daycare. Donna correct she used her strings and that was okay. Yeah. Now the mom's like, oh, I like you. Uh. She says she doesn't need handouts but accepts the help. Okay, which is what I mean. I still like that mom, me too.
Speaker 2: I like the whole I love that kid. That kid is so great.
Speaker 1: I like the whole thing, and it's ridiculous Isaiah that he can repay her by doing the same thing for another kid. Yeah, that was cool and he's so cute and he says you will and that's it done, done, duh. End episode. Everything's tied. I don't know what show I was watching.
Speaker 2: I was watching some nine O two one oh, some sort of like Growing Pain sitcom. Like it was so like, what is the show right now?
Speaker 1: It starts to it feels very diversified, like it feels like it's I kind of like it. It was.
Speaker 2: It moved for me.
Speaker 1: That was the thing.
Speaker 2: I never had like a moment of like this has taken a while. I was like, more storyline, more storyline, more storyline, more storyline. Okay, we'll time going to get the agency. Oh wow, we're gambling.
Speaker 1: Like it was like, oh, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Mad at it.
Speaker 1: I'm not mad at it. It was ridiculous, but I'm in And that's it, you guys, that's it. That's the end of the episode. So but I don't give it an eight and a half, all right, Yeah, I'll give it an eight. Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I was totally entertained. Valerie's irritating me, Colin. He's so dumb, like, why didn't right, why didn't.
Speaker 1: He go Valerie?
Speaker 2: Knock it off?
Speaker 1: And what happened to Brandon? And Kelly's like little kind of like everybody's fine with that, like each other again. Nope, Nope, that's just vanished for now, vanished for now. It'll be back when it's convenient next week. Got it?
Speaker 2: So I just had to move to I just had a total brain glitch because you've been talking about Gabrielle that.
Speaker 1: I was like, where's Andrea and when she left? Yeah, uren glitch.
Speaker 2: She's at Yale or Harvard or somewhere Harvard with her baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, that's weird. Everybody watched next episode, Season six, episode fifteen, Angels. We have heard on high Oh.
Speaker 2: It's Christmas or other? Is it?
Speaker 1: I mean that feels Christmas Christmas song.
Speaker 2: I can't believe we're in season six. We are really going to jump the shark next season? I think we wait, we still have seven, eight, nine, ten.
Speaker 1: This show went on for so long. I cannot wait until we jump that charge.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well it's pretty I think we start to jump next season.
Speaker 1: Very excited about it. Yeah, yeah, that's it. You guys, I hope you liked this episode. It was a good I think we were great. Thanks for listening. Rate us, review us all that jazz, love you guys.
Speaker 2: Give us five stars.
Speaker 1: Don't be mean. We're doing our best.
Speaker 2: This is like totally you know, this is harder than anything because these episodes are ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It's not it's fun to talk about them. It's really sometimes hard to find like you know, the good, but we try.
Speaker 2: And the fashion is so like nothing to me right.
Speaker 1: Now, like anything. Yeah, it's very sort of like this was mid nineties, right yeah, and it was not.
Speaker 2: It's just sort of there ye me bye,