Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up. SpaceX continues to rocket, eclipsing Amazon in value this as it lands it's sixty billion dollar takeover of Cursor, plus Anthropic meets with US officials to resolve a national security dispute with the Trump administration over its most advanced AI models and Sequoia partner SpaceX investor and AI thinker Sean maguire, on set in San Francisco, is to go deep on the Cursor deal and Orbital Data centers. Tuesday, June sixteenth, twenty twenty six, SpaceX its third day of trading in the public markets, and it continues to soar. It's all about valuation in the here and now. We are currently on track for SpaceX to eclipse Amazon in market value. It's been a volatile session. One point, the stock up seventeen percent and in just a brief moment, eclipse Microsoft in terms of its market value in the moment. Indeed, but here's the thing. When you think about SpaceX's relative value too Microsoft or Amazon, there's a catalyst in the news cycle, and that is it will move forward with a sixty billion dollar deal for Cursor in the AI coding space. Let's get the details on that deal with Blimbox and Attasha Mascarinus, who covers AI and venture and here with us in SF Let's start with the details the structure. There's also the idea that in April they had the right to acquire a Cursor just days after the going public they.
Speaker 3: Are exactly, I mean, in April weys our first of its kind announcement an agreement to have the option to acquire. Now we have the news that they are moving ahead with the agreement and they will plan to acquire Cursor. It's going to be for that price tag that we expected, a sixty billion dollar implied valuation, and the Cursor investors will be getting stock as a.
Speaker 4: Result of it, SpaceX stock.
Speaker 3: Sorry, SpaceX stock as a result of it.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 2: So there's a big question here about like, well, who wins on the Cursor side. Cursor has been active in raising money in recent years. They had a lot of momentum. You have a pretty good understanding of who's on the cat table there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, this has been one of the most explosive AI companies outside of open an Anthropic. If you ask me this is the number one other company I've been focused on for the past year. We think about the biggest winners from this deal when the deal does close, which is expecting in a few months, it's actually some of the same investors for SpaceX. Unsurprisingly, two of the biggest investors in Cursor are Thrive Capital and Injuries and Horowitz and you know last week we heard them celebrate as well when it came to the SpaceX IPO. And so Thrive is expected to have a stake worth north of ten billion according to sources. When we think about the SpaceX and Cursor combination, and Andresa, you know, heading into this, had about six billion worth of stake in Cursor, and so another kind.
Speaker 2: Of they already reported that, you know, for Indreeson on the SPACEXIPO, this would be the biggest payoff in the in the firm's history. Let's go to the AI bit of it. I think Elon Musk has been pretty honest that in the coding space XAI had been behind your anthropics, your open AI is even what is SpaceX doing with Cursor? What's the plan here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean people forget that SpaceX actually merging with XAI is still a recent move. Yeah, I mean the ink is still you know, drying on that one. But yeah, I mean, listen, it's the same goal. Elon wants to strengthen their AI talent Cursor. I mean, when I was first writing about Cursor, they were bringing on people to their office for two weeks before they made an acquisition, before they made a hiring offer, and so they really spent a huge amount of time in recruiting the best AI talent in samp and Cisco, building a very unique kind of culture. And now Elon Musk is getting you know, that highly vetted talent as he looks to make SpaceX ANAI company, and so there's a lot of interest in the talent. We'll see if all people do come on as a result of the acquisition, but it's hundreds of employees joining the spacexta.
Speaker 2: And even before spacexxai closed there was high turnover at XAI. They had people departing from the founding group, et cetera. Bloe miss and attached Miss Garinus on the Cursor deal. Let's get more in SpaceX's surging valuation in the public markets. Bloomberg Equities reported common Rhinikey joins us with the latest, so right now on track to eclipse Amazon. You and I have been talking all morning about price to sales ratios, and then there's the volatility in the session itself. Explain it all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So there are two things that are really important here. The first one is that we have really low float actually trading for SpaceX. We know it is about five percent or less than five percent of total shares became available in the io. That can make trading very volatile interday, and it can elevate stock prices because there's just not that much float on the market.
Speaker 6: So that can elevate the stock price.
Speaker 5: But then the total shares outstanding, even ones that are locked up right now, is what's used to calculate the market cap, so it can sort of elevate things there. The second thing you brought up price to sales. This is so important to think about. So SpaceX at about two point seven trillion valuation right now, it's alongside Amazon and Microsoft. But the total amount of revenue that SpaceX is bringing in tells a very different story. So last year in twenty twenty five, SpaceX had about nineteen billion dollars in revenue and Microsoft, in comparison, had two hundred and eighty one billion dollars in sales, So that's a huge difference. It's about fifteen times more than SpaceX, even though they're valued right now based on market cap at a roughly the same.
Speaker 2: It's come Rhini case SpaceX up for a third day a lot to factor in. Thank you, Franklin Templeton BACKSPACEX long before it's IPO. Really interesting private public market and esther in the tech space here in the Bay Aria Sarah Rahi Franklin Timmeton, portfolio managers with us. It's so great to have you on the program.
Speaker 6: Great, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Timing is everything right. Let's start with the Cursor deal, if we may. So, we knew that this could happen because they had the right to acquire Cursor. They stayed in April, but they've moved very quickly, you know since since the IPO on Thursday Friday. What is it that you think SpaceX gets with Cursor? What do you think they intend to do?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, the company has been very clear that they want to have a role in the AI space and that they want to be one of the competitors within that space. And so with GROC they have the opportunity here and now with the Cursor team, as you were just talking about earlier, they acquihire a team here that they can ultimately come in and potentially give them a chance with the competitors in the space. So I think it's brilliant. You have the successful IPO and the ability to come in and do this deal right on day three now.
Speaker 6: So pretty big aquire, Pretty big acquire.
Speaker 2: I mean the mechanics of that I find really interesting because SpaceX's valuation, actually it's valuation today relative to Friday, it's a bit of an advantage right in an all stock deal. How do you feel about it? You know, the mechanism a sixty billion dollar deal right now in how that impacts the stock as an existing investor.
Speaker 7: Yeah, look, we were already we knew this was going to come, right, and so the fact that it's coming now it makes sense. With the fact that this IPO was very successful. I mean, they've done a fantastic job. The Bankersterer, Goldman, Morgan Stanley did a great job bringing this to the public markets. It actually opens up the public markets for other deals to come and so it makes a lot of sense for them to do this cursor deal here now and ultimately take advantage of their stock price.
Speaker 2: Do you mind if we talk a little bit about Franklin Tumbledton's history with SpaceX. You know, maybe viewers of Bloomberg Tech will be a little bit more familiar of kind of like the mutual funds and private growth teamams participating in a lot of the themes we cover. Franklin Tumbleton's name that comes up, but just how you got in and the journey now to being a public holding in the.
Speaker 6: Funds, Yeah, definitely. So I am.
Speaker 7: I work on a team, the Franklin Equity team at Franklin Templeton and here. Over a decade ago, we decided that it was time for us to invest in private companies, not only through our mutual funds, but also we have dedicated venture.
Speaker 6: Vehicles within our group.
Speaker 7: And the reasons we did this was, as you've been talking about, the companies have been staying These companies have been staying private longer, so a lot of the value creation was happening within the private markets. Well, we have we have, we are based in Silicon Valley, we have the same capabilities, and so we decided we should not only take advantage of that and generate the returns and bring those to our shareholders, but also the insights that you get from investing in these companies, both from just investing in the companies and themselves and a successful IPO here you saw with SpaceX, or just the insights and is disruption coming to some of our existing holdings, and how do we think about the market leaders in the space and whether or not whether or not these private companies will overtake them. So those insights our analysts benefit from that. So this is something you know with SpaceX. We knew them when they were doing reusable rockets for cargo ships, but knowing them over time. Our team met with Elon in twenty sixteen, I mean even prior to that with Tesla, right, but with Elon on SpaceX and understanding what he was going to do here, having that faith, and then learning from him about AI, infrastructure, defense, space, the space economy.
Speaker 6: It's been an incredible journey for us.
Speaker 2: You make a lot of interesting points about how things have changed. The story started with reusability and the economics of reusability, and now it's something very different. If you just got on the TAM and the perspectives, but also like the public market investor view, like what is the proxy that you look at? I think we're in a space now where we're moving outside the mag seven Yes, but like if it was in the software space, you go, okay, this is a private company where I see a proxy in the public market SpaceX.
Speaker 6: We don't have anything like it.
Speaker 7: And look, it's been a huge discussion on what industry, how is gigs going to classify this? Is it going to be in the telecom industry, is it going to be in industrials. We started out thinking it would be an industrial entity and what our share investor is going to be selling to buy this, but ultimately you ended up it's now classified under communications. And look, our analyst covering it has to understand AI has been working very closely with our tech team, has to understand defense, has to understand space. A new economy here, and we're all still just learning more and more about that. I mean, it's a new frontier.
Speaker 2: Let's bring it back to the news of the day in the Cursor deal. You know a lot of people will focus on this the very sort of specific upfront coding story, but there is a story with the models themselves, and I just wonder how much you assign value to GROC and the future opportunity of GROC over At Franklin.
Speaker 6: Templeton, Yeah, look, you don't.
Speaker 7: The way we think about it is just starlink alone brings a lot of value for SpaceX and a lot of their endeavors with an AI. A big part of it is funding some of that and you know cash generation from cash generation, and look, Elon has talked about this from day one. Gwinn talks about it. They want to go to Mars. They're doing everything in their power to make us multiplanetary. That Their goal here is to get there, whether it's GROCK and AI AI infrastructure. You saw them doing deals with anthropic generating revenue here.
Speaker 6: Today to get to that goal.
Speaker 7: Anything that can get them on that path I think is the right move for them.
Speaker 2: Sarah Rahi, Franklin, Templeton, Davy On, Bloomberg Tech. It's so great to have you here in Essa. Thank you very much. An update on the story brought yesterday in Video's bond sale, the AI chip Giant sold twenty five billion dollars in investment grade debt, making it one of the largest corporate bond deals of the year. Investor demand was strong, with orders topping eighty five billion dollars according to sources, and video joins companies like Alphabet and Amazon flooding debt markets with hundreds of billions of dollars of issuance as they build data centers, another infrastructure needed for AI's rapid expansion. Okay, coming up anthrop it meets with US officials is IT tries to resolve a national security dispute with the Trump administration over it's most advanced AI models. We have more on that next, this is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 8: There are some players who are more trustworthy than others. What I think needs to happen is that the trustworthy actors need to need to get together and put the untrustworthy actors in a position where they kind of have to adopt the same standards. With a lot of experience, I've learned that there are some folks who don't do the right thing on their own. But if there's a majority of the industry that's doing the right thing, then I think the rest of the industry is kind of they're left in a position where there's not much they can do that then come along.
Speaker 2: That was Anthropic CEO Dario Ammo Day they're in late April, weighing in on accountability in the AA industry and now and topics, trying to work through a growing dispute with the Trump administration about concerns on foreign access to its most advanced air models, which led to the company temporarily suspending global access. Senior technical staff met with Commerce Department officials on Monday, as talks continued as Mike Sheppard joins us from DC, Sheep bring us up to speed. What do we need to know?
Speaker 9: Well, what we need to know is this that there so far is very little public sign of progress and discussions between the government and Anthropic. The senior technical step, as you said, did sit down with US officials, but there has really been no evidence of a breakthrough, no evidence of really what remedies the company might need to pursue with the government's behest to solve this security issue, and we don't even really have a fully clear picture from the US government side of what that is. The company has pointed to this jail break concern the idea that Garbrails on its Feeble five system could somehow be evaded, empowering that software into something that approaches the cyber security capabilities of Mythos, and all of this is unfolding at this time of great urgency in the AI race. For the US, of course, the question is will it maintain its lead over China, and Anthropic, of course, is one of the top developers, plays such a crucial role in that. And then just add to it all the billions, if not trillions of dollars in capex that we are seeing poured toward this sector by different companies, not only Anthropic but the public tradedly publicly traded ventures as well, the SPACEXIPO. So much of that money is going to support the infrastructure needed to run top flight models like Mythos and Fable, which right now are off the market.
Speaker 2: The COMMAS Department put in an export control Friday which basically blocked foreign national access to Mythos and Fable, and Anthropics response was like, well, in that case, we'll take it offline for every because we can't on a case by case basis check user status and many of their own employees are foreign nationals. But there is something broader here in Anthropic and industry's relationship with the administration. Where do we stand in that the litigation, the designation on supply chain risk.
Speaker 9: Well, this is just the latest flare up between Anthropic and the administration really since the start of the year. You're referring, of course, to the dispute right now with the Pentagon over the company's ability to continue providing the military with access to its sophisticated AI tools. There's a clog gov AI tool that was approved for classified use by the military and in fact have been deployed as part of the US war effort against Iran. Now, the Pentagon, in this dispute with the company, has really fixed on what Anthropic has demanded as two conditions of being able to continue its Pentagon work, and that is it once guarantees that there will be no surveillance supported by CLAUDE and that there will be no fully autonomous weaponry. Now the government says that, look, we won't do either of those things. Those extra conditions are way too much, and that just presages a lasting few between these two sides unless they can reach some sort of an agreement here.
Speaker 2: And begs Mike Shephard, thank you very much. As Washington wrestles with AI security concerns at home, the technology is also taking center stage at the g seventh summit in France, where global leaders and AI tech executives and meeting this week. Manibas Tyler Kendall joins us like from Evion France. And there's the story on the Bloomberg this morning about how US Western allies are now taking into account this Commerce Department decision with Anthropic. How's that playing out on the ground.
Speaker 10: Well, And I actually had the chance to catch up with the spokesperson for France's Foreign Ministry who told me that the Trump and Administration's moves here that you've been outlining just underscore the need for European allies to have what he called, quote strategic autonomy when it comes to tech. It is no doubt going to be a focus here on the ground as these world leaders, including President Trump, are going to be in the same room with some of these top tech CEOs, including from Anthropic as well as Open AI. And in fact, earlier today Bloomberg News was able to obtain a draft statement related to this meeting that is set to take place tomorrow, which says, in part that the leaders are expected to pledge to quote further discuss emerging opportunities and potential risks arising from AI, notably in the financial sector. It is definitely going to be a theme here going forward. At G seven official tells me that that meeting tomorrow will also focus on potential regulations that all of these G seven allies could come together on, as well as respecting individual countries regulations when it comes to the tech and ed Another thread that we're watching very closely here is that just yesterday President Trump threatened a one hundred percent tieriff on France over the use of its digital services tax. This has been something that the Trump administration has long lobbied criticism against European allies about. I had the chance to ask the French spokesperson about this. He did confirm that there are ongoing discussions about the DST, but he said that this is not a moment for quote antagonism.
Speaker 2: Most Tyler Kendall and Avian France the G seven, thank you very much. Another story we're watching in AI open AI's losses ballooned last year as the company poured money into the AI race. The Financial Times reports the chat GBT maker spent more than thirty four billion dollars on research, marketing and other expenses. In twenty twenty five, driving an eightfold increase in net losses. Open Ai did not comment on the Financial Times report. Data briggs Is Data Summit twenty twenty six is underway in San Francisco, as the software maker competes with Snowflake and Google. It's launching new enterprise AI products including Genie one, Gentic co worker for business teams, and Unity AI gateway that helps businesses control their costs. Talent is proving the biggest expense for them, but the companies yet to tap the public markets this year amid other blockbuster tech listings. Is what CEO Ali Gazi told us yesterday.
Speaker 11: So well, you know, we're not We've not said that we're doing any fundraise. I know that there's you know, rumors about this, but we're always talking to investors. Why well, we're investing heavily into these new product categories. We just launching a completely new product for ours that's called Customer Lake which is an area of marketing, so we're you know, targeting marketing folks, which is not an area where we.
Speaker 12: Used to be active.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 11: Two months ago we launched a security product called lake Watch.
Speaker 12: And we're getting into a security space.
Speaker 11: You know, it takes resources to get into these spaces and all of these products that I mentioned, we're building it agentic first, so it's like they start with agents from the ground up.
Speaker 12: We're not boulting it on. That requires that.
Speaker 11: You have AI researchers, as we all know, AI researchers you know, don't come cheap.
Speaker 12: So all this requires funding.
Speaker 11: So we're always in talk with investers, you know, to be able to just be aggressive and expand and launch new products, do research, you know, go to more.
Speaker 12: Regions, be available in every part of the world.
Speaker 11: So you know, that's that's that's why we're you know, require capital.
Speaker 2: Allie, let's let's end it here. Earlier this month you told me, you know, Data Bricks in the end will be a public company. You want to be a public company, but that you think this is just a terrible year to go public. Do you stand by that. Has anything changed in your mind in the last two weeks.
Speaker 12: No, I think that.
Speaker 11: You know, it's just there's three Mega I pos that have been rumored. One of them happened, you know, so letting those kind of go through the system and see how that sort of plays out and things stabilize a little bit, and I think that you know, getting a little bit further in the sort of AI revolution that we're going through.
Speaker 12: I prefer for the.
Speaker 11: Company to go public when you know, water is a little bit more palm and there's a little bit more predictability. So you know, I stand by what I said. I think for most of the companies, you know, it's probably way best to wait it out. And that's also what CEOs that I know tell me that I'm thinking about the IPO. They're saying, you know, I don't want to you know, go between you know, two mega IPOs like that.
Speaker 2: It was data break CEO Ali GODSI let's go out to bloom Bag, to Jahara and in New York for everything else while we track in your horror, Hi.
Speaker 13: Ed, Well, it's time for talking tech. Fir stup prediction market platform Caushi has developed a new AI agent designed to stress test the wording of its contracts. The company says the tool, known internally as Harrison, helps identify potential issues before they affect the millions of wagers it handles each day on events ranging, of course, from elections to sports games and award ceremonies. Plus robin Hood is the latest fintech to downsize. The online brokerage is eliminating three hundred jobs, adding to a deepening wave of layoffs across the industry. The company says the latest cut is to quote further accelerate parts velocity and remain lean and disciplined. No mention of AI and several studios inside Microsoft's Xbox gaming division are an active negotiations to spin off as they try to avoid closure. That's according to sources. The talks come as newly appointed CEO Asha Sharma accelerates a broader restructuring of the business.
Speaker 6: And I'll leave the gaming.
Speaker 4: Up to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Yahara, and a coming up. Sean maguire, who LEDs to COIs SpaceX Investment, joins us to talk about the Cursor deal, orbital data centers, and so much more. This is what markets look like. Reminder Kevin Walsh FED decision debut Wednesday. This is Bloomberg Tech. Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech. It's just the third trading day in SpaceX's life as a public company, and my goodness, so many headlines. It's kind of been an interesting, volatile session. And Carmen Ryne made the point earlier in the show that you need to kind of look at the flow and the volumes that are going on. But at one point in the session we were really out of this world. Sorry, not sorry. There is a lot of numbers to go through and the lot to pass here, So let's check in on these SpaceX shares with Bluebots. Cross Asset reporter Isabel Lee.
Speaker 14: Is about hi and out of this world. Indeed, you see the stock rallying for the third straight day, and it's contractors are past the market cap of Amazon and Microsoft to become the fourth largest company in the world. So you see the rally today pushing the market cap of SpaceX to nearly three trillion dollars. So obviously this comes ferce that the market will not be able to adjust an IPO this big, and obviously it bodes well for the likes of a DROPIC and open Ai which is waiting in the wings, all both valued at almost one trillion dollars. And to be sure, the price action is driven by just a small percentage of shares, but.
Speaker 4: Still it's so interesting.
Speaker 14: And you look at the next page, and this is the ETF world, which I really love to look at So all of these issuers filed to launch nearly a dozen SpaceX link ETFs, so they're both leveraged. They're all leverage rather, so they track SpaceX two times to day upside and two times to the downside, and in total on Monday all of them combined, so one billion dollars in trading volume, which is easily a record for any single stock etr for any new launch, and a cohort like this. So the friends is just really continues, and it's really hard not to imagine that because the windfall is just so hard to ignore. And you look at these companies, these are the ones that are gaining billions and billions in net windfall. Take a look of Balor Equity Partners. This is founded by muss Ally Antonio Gracia, so nearly seventy billion dollars at stake that they have founders fund. This is a venture capital firm led by Peter Theil. It now has a fifty billion dollars stake.
Speaker 6: Sequoya has twenty billion.
Speaker 14: They're one of the first companies to back SpaceX in twenty nineteen, so first move and move there, and they were the first to put the trust in Elon Musk among the first and Anderson Horowitz a ten billion dollars, so really lots of excitement and billions at stake.
Speaker 2: Ed Isabelli at New York City, thank you very much. Conversation been looking forward to for some time now. We're joined by Sean MacGuire, a partner as Core Capital. With the firm, it has invested around two billion dollars across funds into SpaceX. That includes an investment into x the platform formerly known as Twitter, and all told, that amounts to a nearly one and a half percent stake in SpaceX SPACEXAI. There's a much bigger story than those two parts, the rocket part and the AI part. Welcome to Tech.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 15: And we're both football fans, so maybe we even get some time for some football commentary.
Speaker 2: There is a lot to discuss. I think should we just start with cursor like it's right in front of us. The focus of this morning was, oh well, Elon Musk has been quite honest about XAIS need to catch up in coding visa vanthropic OpenAI. What I'm trying to understand is what this means for the models themselves. Do you do you have a sort of thesis on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Look, I've said this publicly, but I think about SpaceX as there's five layers of the company or business. Layer one is launch. This is foundational, it's kind of the future of the company. Layer two is connectivity, which is you know, in its early stages with stallink and direct to sell, but kind of proven and I think the compounding is pretty easy to underwrite. Layer three is compute, which today is terrestrial and in the.
Speaker 4: Future will be orbital as well.
Speaker 15: I think that the Google ananthropic deals kind of show show that that is very likely to work. And I actually want to spend more time on trust you Compute later because I think it's a very very exciting and underappreciated part of we will of.
Speaker 4: The company today. Layer four is the model layer.
Speaker 15: I think that's where probably rightfully so, most investors don't know how to assess where SpaceX SPACEXAI is today, and so I think we should talk about that the more. And that's where Cursor fits in. And then layer five is all the other bets. It's sayings that you know, people today don't even know how to think about it. That's terrify, that's a moon base someday that has a rail gun launching you know, orbital satellites in space.
Speaker 4: But look on the on the Cursor deal.
Speaker 15: I think people are underappreciating just how good that team is and also how well they work with Elon and the company A.
Speaker 2: Lost guests cooled to Inaquahar. That's just it's a sixty billion dollar aquah It's.
Speaker 15: It's I mean, I don't think when a company has a three billion plus run rate is the reported number in you know, three is a three year old company. I don't think it's only an aquahier, but I do. I do think that this is one of the best teams has ever been assembled in the Cursor team. And I also think they've proven over the last few months that they can keep pace with Elon.
Speaker 4: Like it is, unless.
Speaker 15: You've seen it, it is impossible to explain the intensity and work ethic of Elon and Michael and the team have kind of shown that they can keep pace and fit into this much broad ecosystem adding value, you know, on the on terrifab, planning their orbital satellites model layer, you know, cleaning up data to train models, you know, helping plan infrastructure.
Speaker 4: For the future.
Speaker 15: It's just like it is such a strong team that can go all the way to the bar metal in terms of understanding everything needed to build a model of the future. And so I like, no, it is not an aquhier, but I cannot stress how good that team is. And for me personally, it makes me much more optimistic that SPACEXAI will win or at least be one of the winning players on the Model air.
Speaker 2: You're someone that's embedded in the teams. When I say embedded, I mean you were able to go in work with the team, see what they're working on across space x xai X. And when I said that you were coming on the show, that was pretty much one of the questions that we got for you is how do you think Elon must takes that cursor team and integrates it and moves quickly. You know, there's a particular musk way of doing things. But but you know, this has happened three days since an IPO. It's pretty fast.
Speaker 4: Look, I think there was a couple months.
Speaker 15: You know, I don't know what the right technical word is, and you know, I'm on live TV and there's a recent IPO, But I think there was a roughly two month trial period and I think that only one percent or less entrepreneurs could survive that trial period of working very closely with like a pass the test.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think I.
Speaker 15: Think Cursor passed the test, showing that they can keep pace, that they can operate without making mistakes, that they can actually elevate what's already one of the.
Speaker 4: Most talented teams in the world.
Speaker 15: And so I don't view this as like three days after IPO, there's, you know, something that came out of nowhere. I view this as there was you know, many months leading up to that two month period and then two months of like deep deep partnership and so like, I personally think the probability that this isn't a creative acquisition is like ninety nine point ninety nine nine percent because the trial.
Speaker 4: Was so intense.
Speaker 2: Sean before we get to the near cloud business, I think that's like really important and timely. We're in day three of trading as a public company, and a lot of people will make a lot of the milestone of being worth more than Amazon. Maybe that happens at the Clothes maybe it doesn't. And I'm guessing you'll tell me you'll that you'll distribute to the LPs when the time comes and you expect them to hold the shares. You know, what is your kind of longer term position on SpaceX.
Speaker 15: I mean, look for me, on a personal level, and I say this to someone, I think I understand this business very well, but better than you know, most investors, better than almost any investor. I am personally in a hold my shares in this company forever, like quite literally, I think that. And sure there's some things that could change or you know, you know, in the macro ten years from now. But this is the biggest vision, the biggest mission of any company in history, going after the biggest markets of any company history, with the biggest moat, and so I just think the compounding is going to be like it's it's hard for people to even imagine the competitions.
Speaker 2: Part is the moat. I'm sorry to interrupt you, but the five layer Kate that you've outlined, which one.
Speaker 4: So obviously a great question.
Speaker 15: By far, the biggest moat is launch, which you know, we call people rocket scientists for a reason, or at least in the past. You know, that was an expression like the engineering that has gone into building Starship.
Speaker 4: I believe it's the.
Speaker 15: I believe it's the hardest like single engineering project that any.
Speaker 4: Company has ever done.
Speaker 15: I think it's to me, it's meaningly beyond like ASML, like intrinting, complexity of building ev machine.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to go into this.
Speaker 15: So I would say Mote number one is the launch business, which is just so far ahead of everyone else. Remote number two and for SORT, I think there's this kind of weird thing where I do think that people right now are really underestimating the thrust you'll compute past. Yeah, I'll go there in one second. And I think that the moat forterrestrial compute is not launch. It's the quality of the team that's been assembled. And you know, in kind of this very heavy distillation process over twenty years of finding just bringing in the most talented people from Stanford, from MIT, et cetera, and only one percent where zero point one percent actually survive this distillation process. What they prove that they can work with the level of intensity, well simultaneous level of team orientation, without making mistakes, et cetera. So that team has figured out how to solve basically every Harbord problem in the world, and when you apply them to something like Treshell data centers, they're now like they're building data centers faster and better than anyone else. And so the team is a second mote that I know that seems like, oh, you can just go create a team. No, you cannot, because it took twenty plus years of distillation. But I think that we're in this weird metastable period where when we go five years from now, I think that launch will again be the mote because I think that orbital compute will be dominating net new inference compute, like just absolutely dominating.
Speaker 4: But I think for the next five.
Speaker 15: Years, like the team feeds into dominating trust for compute, so as now you want to go to the trust.
Speaker 2: So the state of play is this the XAI team space Xai build data center quickly. And I think your argument is that on a dollar a token basis highly competitively operate them. If you go on to a map of Tennessee, they've Clossus one, Clusus two, and Clusus three. And a big question a lot of people had was, We'll hold on, it's amazing to get two billion dollars per month for Anthropic and Google, but why is that capacity not being used to train the latest greatest models at the model air or run inference on what Rock's already doing seemed like a blinder of a business decision, but longer term, like it's hard to reconcile.
Speaker 15: This is my personal opinion, kind of my assessment of the situation. First of all, one the way, I think that SpaceX in terms of.
Speaker 4: In terms of treastial compute and you know, you.
Speaker 15: Mentioned Amazon, Amazon and Microsoft are incredible businesses. I have massive respect for those founders, for the for the businesses, for Satia, running, running Microsoft, but a lot of their market cap comes from their cloud businesses. And you know, also for their legacy businesses in the case of you know, delivery or.
Speaker 4: Or the whole.
Speaker 15: Microsoft Office bundle and operating system, but a lot of it is their cloud businesses. We're in the generational transition of cloud from kind of legacy CPU based jobs to AI cloud. I strongly believe that SPACEXAI is the best in the world at building this next generation of AI clouds, like, not even close an order of magnitude, better at building threstrial compute in this AI era than anyone else.
Speaker 4: And it's not to say that other companies are bad.
Speaker 15: It's to say you have the best rocket scientists in the world are now using their skills to build threstal compute. And what that leads to, in my opinion is, I think people are really underestimating how much more compute is going to come online next year and the year after for SpaceX, and that, you know, means I really believe space going to have a surplus of compute, and I think it's very rational and I'm as an investor, I love that they are offering compute to Anthropic and Google because one, it brings in a ton of revenue that I think.
Speaker 4: In an IPO shows the world that all of.
Speaker 15: This CAPEX build out is not for nothing, and it's not all or nothing based on the model layer. There's this you know, massive value that the company has a dial of how they choose what to do with it. Kind of next point, I think that people are underestimating that most of that compute is kind of CLASSUS one, which is roughly ten miles away from classes two and CLASSUS three.
Speaker 4: It's heterogeneous GPS.
Speaker 15: Anthropic in particular has done an amazing job at being able to run inference on heterogeneous compute.
Speaker 4: Like there's a lot of nuances here anyways.
Speaker 2: And by that, I think you know the expert. They have different generations of GPU hop per black Quote. We're going to take a quick break and we're going to keep the covers going. We have plenty of time coming up. SpaceX has big plans for orbital data centers and Squoil Sew MacGuire is going to stick with us and break down how and when that space compute becomes reality. That's next. This is bloom bo tech.
Speaker 16: Data centers just require an enormous amount of power in order to run them, also to cool them, and so they've essentially hit what is an energy wall, and.
Speaker 17: Yet demand keeps accelerating.
Speaker 4: Globally.
Speaker 17: Electricity use for data centers is expected to double by twenty thirty. By twenty fifty, it will likely represent a tenth of all electricity consumed on Earth. So what happens when artificial intelligence outpaces the power and land needed to sustain it?
Speaker 10: Why?
Speaker 17: The answer may be above Earth. In late twenty twenty five, space startups star Cloud sent a satellite into orbit carrying an Nvidia H one hundred chip, the most powerful processor ever deployed in space. Star Cloud one is not a data center, not yet. It's a single prototype in orbit. The future that Star Cloud imagines is tens of thousands of satellites, each carrying chips like this one, working together to do complex large scale computing in space, also known as orbital compute. For many, The vision begins with a prompt from Earth beamed into space through laser links. The request is then processed by AI chips inside a satellite bus, which is powered by massive solar arrays stretching as much as four square kilometers. Together, these satellites form a linked computing network that then sends results back to Earth in milliseconds.
Speaker 9: Two years ago, when we first started talking about building data centers in space, people you know, frankly thought we were a.
Speaker 2: Bit crazy, and it does sound a little bit sci fi.
Speaker 17: What sounds like sci fi is a response to a very real problem on Earth. Data centers require vast amounts of land, water, and electricity, and as the AI systems inside them grow more powerful, the heat they generate is becoming harder and costlier to contain. In space. On the other hand, there are no land constraints or permitting battles not to mention access to almost unlimited solar energy if it can be made to work.
Speaker 2: So that was a segment from Bloomberger Regionals looking at orbital data centers, and here on the show, Shan MacGuire Square Capital still with us the firm stake of around one point five percent in SpaceX, and this is a big part of the plan in the prospectus. The team is saying at SpaceX as early as twenty twenty eight, in a moment, we're going to bring up a Bloomberg rendering of the design of and that's actually the SpaceX one.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: I think you're probably in the camp of people that think they can do this quickly. Where do you stand on your data orbital data center outlook for SpaceX?
Speaker 4: I stand incredibly bullish, which just incredibly bullish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not surprised by that.
Speaker 15: Yeah, but like I think it's rationally rationally bullish. I think something that a lot of people are struggling with here is most people just never thought about what is the satellite? How do you build a satellite, What are the components of a satellite? What are the constraints around launching these satellites? And I think that people that have been following starlink closely are very well positioned.
Speaker 2: To assess because you can extrap lay out on both the economics but also the engineering and physics exactly.
Speaker 15: The orbital compute satellites are very similar in many many ways to starling satellites.
Speaker 4: I truly believe in.
Speaker 15: Elon said this last week in a video on orbital compute that the intrinsic complexity of making a stalling satellite is probably a little bit greater than an orbital compute satellite. So, I know this sounds kind of crazy, but starlink is on the satellites themselves. Stalling satellites are more complicated than orbital compute satellites. That said, orbital compute satellites are bigger. For them to make sense, they have to be much bigger. You basically want to put a whole server rack in space. Just in terms of doing inference on a model, you kind of need a minimum size for it to be useful. And you can't launch these bigger satellites unless you have starship.
Speaker 4: So almost all of.
Speaker 15: The difficulty of orbital compute satellites is in starship.
Speaker 4: It's in the launch vehicle.
Speaker 15: And so if you want to estimate when orbital compute is going to be scaling, it's really a question around like when is Starship going.
Speaker 2: To be still we're showing the videos. This is this is file right of Starship, and you know the basics of it are that on paper, you know, one hundred and thirty five one hundred and fifty metric tons payload to orbit. And I think there's some idea that in the future in iterations four hundred metric tons.
Speaker 15: I think the company said, you know, two hundred metric tons is pretty like pretty achievable. Four hundred metric metric guns maybe I don't know. It seems likely, but I don't know. You just make it. There's something with rockets where the taller you make it, kind of the easier things become the surface area of volume ratio and that benefits you with drag. So it seems very likely, but manufacturing it that skills harder.
Speaker 2: Can you compare and contrast?
Speaker 6: Then?
Speaker 2: So you outlined in great detail why you're bullish on the terrestrial data center neocloud business. Where does the orbital data center business compare over? It's just like reasonable timeline for you.
Speaker 4: Yep again, And I love the question. I appreciate the question.
Speaker 15: I think people are looking at orbital compute and they think, oh wow, this sounds so crazy, and I wasn't even I wasn't thinking about it two years ago. So it must take a long time. And a lot of Elon's timelines in the past have have been wrong, which you know, he says himself. But if you look at what an orbital compute satellite is, it's basically some compute element, whether that's a.
Speaker 4: GPU or a TPU or tranium or you know, proprietary.
Speaker 2: You said you have reference designs for all of them.
Speaker 15: Yeah, but so there's the compute, and you want a bout a server racks amount of compute. There are solar panels like that's easy, fully kind of proven, uh, spaces has huge experience building solar panels.
Speaker 4: And the third main piece are radiators.
Speaker 15: So this is what takes all the heat from the compute chips and radiates it into space via you know, via black body radiation.
Speaker 4: Those are the three main things.
Speaker 15: And then you also have laser links to connect to other satellites or you know, connect to the ground, and radio connect to the ground. Of these things, every individual component here is kind of fully fully proven by SpaceX, except for the compute side, but that is not it's just not that heart and so the satellites themselves are pretty easy to make.
Speaker 2: That's rendering, again, a bloomberg rendering of what you're describing.
Speaker 15: Yeah, So to me, it really is a question of when Starship is flying. I don't I don't understand why SpaceX wouldn't be able to have an orbital compute satellite up within you know, six months or so of the first storage Starship Payload play.
Speaker 2: We have ninety seconds left in the show. I can't believe it. We need to address the open AI and anthropic elephant in the room, which is on paper, they are very similar if you read the prospectus and the tam that SpaceX outlines their room on Earth and outside of the Earth for all three.
Speaker 15: I think intelligence is you know, the most important. It's the defining capability of our time. And I think there's unlimited demand for intelligence. I think it's very clear that SpaceX will be, in my opinion, will be the dominant provider of compute for intelligence. And I don't know what's going to happen on the model layer, but there's absolute space for all of these companies.
Speaker 2: Fifteen seconds. If you had like a kind of black Swan memo right now for the firm Sequoia. What would the headline be. What's the biggest focus for you?
Speaker 15: I think it's probably regulatory risk regulatory.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's leave it as a cliffhanger, and you're always welcome here back on the show, Bomberg Tech, thank you very much for coming in. That does do it for this addition of Bloomberg Tech. I want to check on the market. It's actually in the course of that conversation then as that one hundred headed south, it's paired some of its declines, but with down one point two, SpaceX is not at session highs, but it is up ten percent. It is past Amazon on market value as it stands where we close who knows long time away and maybe it will eclipse Microsoft and market cap by the closer as well. Stay with us on Bloomberg TV throughout the day. What a show it's been. Recap on the podcast. Really appreciate all of you that do listen to the show as a podcast. You know where to find it on Bloomberg, Spotify, Apple and iHeart from San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Tech.