Speaker 1: Welcome to five hundred Greatest Songs, a podcast based on Rolling Stones hugely popular, influential, and sometimes controversial list. I'm Britney Spanis.
Speaker 2: And I'm Rob Sheffield. We're here to shed light on the greatest songs ever made and discover what makes them so great.
Speaker 1: Today we're talking about Believe by Share, a song that is actually perfect.
Speaker 2: The whole story, the whole greatness, the whole legacy of the madness pop music. One perfect song.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: This song made its debut on the twenty twenty one list at three thirty seven, and on previous list, SHARE's only entry was with Sunny for I Got You Babe. It ranked a number four forty four on the two thousand and four list, but actually did not make the new list, but Believe did. And I think it's a part of a grand story of Share and kind of the mini ups and downs that she's had that have led to kind of this newfound and very very appropriate sort of appreciation for her solo career that's happened over I think like the last decade really of the kind of Share.
Speaker 2: I have to say, Brittany and Believe are a cosmic pair. I think SHARE's Belief is arguably the most Britney song of all time. Yeah, just the esthetic, the legacy, everything about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Do you remember where you were when you first heard Believe?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yes, it was when it came out, heard it on the radio. The synthiness of the chorus, which we will talk about, and the vocal and just that aspect of the production was so new and exciting. But also this was share singing, an intense share song about Sharre's life. There were lots of those in the nineties, so many of them. Yeah, and yet Believe seemed to be even by her standards, on a whole other level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I very distinctly remember it was nineteen eighty nine or two thousand when I first heard the song, and it was after sort of again, this beginning of the bubblegum pop era that was overtaking the world and my world specifically. But I very distinctly remember going over to a friend's house and her mom let us watch Spice World. So we watch Spice World, but she said we can only watch Spice Rol if she put something on after, and she put on a share concert film from one of her Vega shows, I Believe, and she was like watch this pay attention to her wigs, and that line changed my life. So that was my origin story of Share was pay attention to her wigs, and I did. I listened very carefully, and those wigs changed everything.
Speaker 2: Wow, wherever you are right now, I want to thank you for saying those words to a young Britney Spanish. How much you changed the world. Since then, the whole world has been paying attention to Brittany, paying attention to this way.
Speaker 1: So Share, I mean, there's so much that leads up to Believe, and I feel like we really need to get into the decades that built up to this, because it was such a big deal for Share at fifty two to release the song Believe and to have it become the biggest song of her career, and there was so much kind of you know, big moments and then like big flops and then kind of disappearances and then other things. So I feel like we need to really really get into it. Share, of course, gets her start in the sixties. She meets Sonny Bono. She's sixteen, he's thirty two. He's working at phil Specter and they start releasing music. A couple of years later, they get married, it's, you know, not a great sort of age gap situation that's happening then. But anyway, they get married when she's eighteen, they start releasing music and they're pretty successful. Immediately they have I Got You Babe, the beat goes on. The songs are huge, huge sixties pop records, and of course Share is starting her solo career.
Speaker 3: At the time too.
Speaker 1: She releases Bang Bang and you know, everything's real, real groovy in the Sonny and Chair world. But then the late sixties hit and they kind of fall off. You know, they kind of aren't They're a little square to people. What was your kind of remembering of the Sonny and Share songs? Were they really really uncool when you were when you were a little kid, or were they kind of always kind of part of public consciousness?
Speaker 2: They were always there, They were on TV? Is the thing like that? It was a huge thing for them to be hosting a music variety show where other people would come and do their music. So it wasn't even that you loved Sonny and Share, although you did. They were so funny on their show. They were a comedy duo, but also who was going to show up that week and do songs, who was going to do their hits. There was a bit of all pop music in their show, so it's almost like they were DJs as well as performers in their own right, because somebody was going to be on Sonny and Share Sunday night and they were going to be doing their hits. So it was a sort of weekly education in music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and of course that Variety show is such a big part of bringing them back in the seventies and making them popular again after their music kind of kind of lost its touch on the charts. And also Share solo career was really panned at this time, even though some great albums were happening at that time. Of course, her Jackson Highway album, which is all of her kind of country and rock covers. I just want to give a shout out to that because it's a very good album and critics panned it, but I thought it was great.
Speaker 2: Would you say that it has one of the all time greatest versions of a Bob Dylan song?
Speaker 3: I sure would.
Speaker 2: I would agree with you. I would say that tonight I'll be staying here with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah version.
Speaker 3: Yeah, outsong and outsold. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Bob Dylan Share Connection itself would be like three held episodes. But it's also whild that Share was the ultimate pop star in the seventies just because she would do a little bit of everything. She would steal from everything. Also, she was on TV and everybody knew her and she had wide open taste. Everybody knows now the astounding performance where David Bowie was a guest on The Share Show and they did a medley of pop songs from the fifties sixty seventies. They did this the most insane medley of songs. It could only have been Bowie and Share. Yeah, it's one of the freakiest things ever aired on network TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I feel like, kind of looking back on seventy Share is such a perfect kind of example of how many ups and downs she went into her career, because it's like the music was kind of that a down, but then the variety shows what Sonny brings it up, and their divorce kind of brings it up to because they were the first divorced couple on TV to get which is like such an insane kind of record type of thing to have under your belt. But then without their marriage, without the show, another kind of dip in the Share career and then of course getting her back on TV. She's married to Greg Alman now she does her Share show. She's also beyond of course just the Bowie duet, which is like one of my favorite things. There's the West Side Story where she does every character in West Side Story, which is like the most wonderful thing. She also is very, very integral and helping bring Tina Turner back. There's so many parallels between their careers and kind of having the husband wife duo and sort of the kind of trying to get the solo careers off the ground in the seventies after divorces. But I've always really loved kind of their connection that they had, but especially share bringing Tina on to the Share show so much and kind of sharing the wealth of this kind of revival that she was seeing post divorce and able to see for her solo career. And of course disco is a big part of it too. She has her kind of her disco revival. She fits right in with that entire scene, and then she wants to go rock again. She starts a band called Black Roses, right Pete Black Roses, But that doesn't really pan out. People don't really get black roses or the fact that Scher is a rock singer.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm believable you actually you moved very quickly over her marriage to Greg Ohman.
Speaker 3: In fact, I have a lot to say about it.
Speaker 2: It feels almost like it might be implying that the marriage did not even last very long.
Speaker 1: The marriage did not last very long. But okay, did you see the show, The Share Show on Broadway?
Speaker 2: Yes? I did. Okay, so Brittany, we will talk about you and this probably music.
Speaker 1: I cried several times during the musical. But my two favorite things kind of happen around the same era of Share, which is one the reason why she divorces Sonny is because she has a conversation with Lucille Ball in the show where it's like Lucille Ball is the one who's telling her to divorce Sonny, and I really love that being added in. There's no record of that actually ever happening or being the reason why Sonny and Sher get but it's a really great moment in the musical where an actress just shows up and plays Lucy Oball, who actually was friends with SHARE's mom at some point because of her mom being an actress. But I love that there's no record of this being a reason why Shared Divorce is Sonny. But also the great just like Jesse James duet that fictional Share and Greg Allman do in the show is very important to me because it's so good.
Speaker 3: Incredible couple, incredible couple.
Speaker 2: I feel like you're going out of your way not to mention any music that they happen to make together.
Speaker 1: You know, it's not my favorite in the I'll say I love the fictional duet of them singing just like Jesse James.
Speaker 2: There is an actual album and it is called All Men and Women. That is the name of their duo. This alone, I think, calls for a Share museum to the hard Way, but by the due of All Men and Woman is in itself legendary.
Speaker 1: And an rip to that couple. Really just a great rock pop couple in history.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 2: Should we have a moment of silence for every day the marriage lasted before the first time Share filed for.
Speaker 1: Divorce, Yeah, exactly nine moments.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, they got it full nine days, beautiful nine days.
Speaker 1: They got married three days after her divorce was Sonny was finalized.
Speaker 3: But then they got back together. They tried it again three years they had a kid.
Speaker 2: Well, like, yeah, it's just kind of beautiful. I always love the way Greg Almond describes like their connection in his amazing memoir Yeah, it's like very much worth reading My Cross to Bear. But yeah, I love how he shows up to pick up Share in a you a long black limousine. Yeah, she thinks it's really cool. And she sees him, She's like, fuck you, I'm not getting in that funeral car. And she's like, we're taking my car, We're taking my Mercedes's absolutely beautiful, like this, this is absolutely this is the way a true great rock and roll love story should begin. Right.
Speaker 1: It was sort of a again like the Share Show's doing well, weird marriage, music career kind of still fighting that way of She's a very experimental person. She's someone who likes trying out new things. She's never stopped doing that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, But the essence of Sharing the seventies is, like you said, she would do anything. She had noted. There was no concept in her mind of this is a genre that maybe is not for me. Maybe it calls for some expertise that I don't have. I shouldn't make a southern rock album. I shouldn't make a hard rock I shouldn't make a glam rock record. I shouldn't make a disco album. I shouldn't do a medley of the entire musical of West Side Story with me being every character. There's absolutely no voice in Shar's head saying like you should you know, maybe like sit this one out. She is part of every story in pop music.
Speaker 1: And the thing is she was proven right by history that she could do everything. I feel like that's the thing too, is like so much of that stuff has had new lives, like breathe into it, where so many people have looked back and been like, huh, Shar's voice actually sounds great on like a glam rock record. Shar's voice actually sounds really great singing like southern rock.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Her vocal range is really remarkable and really incredible, and she just has the personality to pull off a lot of stuff like the West Side Story video. I mean, that's something that I feel like people rediscover and discover for the first time every year and are kind of blown away by how just kind of weird and insane it is to have chosen to do that. And for anyone who have thought to do that in the first place, but also the fact that it's kind of really fun to watch, Like if I watch that live, I would also be talking about it for the rest of my life, you.
Speaker 5: Know, absolutely.
Speaker 2: And this is just the beginning of the Share story. Yeah, that she was.
Speaker 3: She was the eighties crazy.
Speaker 2: That was a crazy Share decade.
Speaker 1: This was again very the foresight to try everything, to dip a few hands and toes into as many things as possible is something that Share again has been proven extremely right by history, and she decides to try acting. She auditions for some theater roles, some film roles, and this ends up being one of the smartest moves she's ever made, because she ends up winning an Oscar for Moonstruck. Her film career, of course, starts to take off at this point and ends up again being another revival for Share. When the music the Black Roses Band doesn't really take off the way she's hoping, When the music isn't really kind of hitting the way it had been just a few years prior, she ends up finding a home in Hollywood, which makes so much sense for her because her personality the Variety shows, her kind of performances on those shows were such a big part of bringing her back into the public sphere.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it has to be stressed she did it the hard way. She did not waltz into vehicles for her as a famous person. Her first big film role was Silkwood, a very serious film. She is in a supporting part. She is not playing a Share type of role. It's a very complicated, very serious drama, very political drama. Share is playing a minor character, and she's a lesbian character. At a time when this was considered an absolute career killer for a high profile actress or any actress to do, and we could make a long list of actress in the eighties would not play roles like this specifically because of that. It cannot be stressed. What a bold, unprecedented, uncalled for, unexpected and really unremarked upon at the time move this was for her, so typical of her seriousness, so typical of her ambition.
Speaker 1: The number of roles she's done, the number of iconic films she's really attached her name to and made iconic by how incredible her acting is. You know, she was playing alongside actors that we consider to be the best of all time, like someone like Meryl Streep is someone that we can She's one of the most awarded actresses in history. I mean, Share is holding her own with Meryl Streep in that film. She is remarkable in it.
Speaker 2: It was so astounding when she was in Mask in nineteen eighty four and she is a biker mom. It's a mask, but it was not what people are expecting a Share type of movie role to be. She is a very unglamorous, very tough, very gritty, very unsaintly working class biker mom of a character who she's very protective of. It was a very very different type.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean in peak Share, of course, she's doing these roles where she is very much dressing herself down and she is like deglamming. She is playing an every woman in a lot of these roles and then has like the biggest moment in her pop career at that time. Yet with if I could turn back time, I mean, this is like the peak kind of glam Share. She's finding sort of her footing in the eighties, takes over the eighties in a lot of ways at this point, and is able to balance these two things at once. This really remarkable Hollywood career where she's playing against what people thought was her type, and also then being the pop star she always has been that also is really leaning into the rock vocalist that she really wanted to be, that she was really toying with in the seventies that kind of was not super accepted when she wasn't you know. It was really kind of her her disco and sort of radio pop moments that were more acceptable to people. But this was her being able to be like a little bit of a rock star, total pop star, and you know, in a tiny onesie on like was it air Force or whatever kind of military base, and like the battleship.
Speaker 2: She's got the entire navy on this. She has turned the entire US Navy into an entire battleship fleet of her gay boyfriends. This is the proudest moment, Like she is absolutely like, Hi, I'm sure I'm going to spend this video wearing an outfit that is so obscene that it would not have been considered possible to air on MTV a couple years later, except at this point it was so yeah out there fashion wise that they thought like, oh, like we basically have shared just basically naked from the waist down having sex with all these battleships, and you know, the entire navy is like cheering her on and dancing and this is like kind of an amazing move. Yeah, she is very tattooed. Yeah, it's like it's completely nuts. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And after you know, she has all these incredible roles. But in the nineties, she ends up having the epstein bar virus, which leaves are really fatigued and unable to do both the jobs that she had been doing for so long, and that she had been sort of really working her ass off in both of those ses, but suddenly it was very fatigued, started doing infomercials. You know, is regarded as again kind of uncool at this point. You know, this was a time, especially when it was like the idea that she was passed her prime was a very big part of how people saw her and saw a lot of women her age coming into to music or film or kind of moving on with their careers at this point. So the nineties end up being a slow period for Share. We don't really hear much from Share in the nineties. She is again doing infomercials, not acting as much as a brief aside. Before we get to believe She does a writing camp in nineteen ninety four, writes a bunch of songs that would end up not being released for several years because you know, this is kind of a Share is not the same type of superstar that she had been just a decade prior. But she writes a song inspired by Kirk Comaine's death in nineteen eighty four. This was a songwriting era for Share. She was doing some introspection writing some songs. But it's a little fun fact I love from the nineties Share that we didn't hear that song until Not Commercial comes out in the early two thousands. Great album, one of the first Internet only album releases. But you know, she has her big return in nineteen ninety eight. Of course, that's the same year that Sunny dies very tragically in a ski accident. And I mean, this is you know, this is a huge earth shattering moment for Sharing. This is someone that she had known for most of her life. At this point, even though they had divorced, they still had a child together. They still kind of were in and eye of each other's lives. They had done sort of like a mini reunion on I Believe Letterman not too long before he had died. They had really found peace with each other before he had passed, So this was a really obviously, very tragic and earth scattering moment in SHARE's life. She delivered a very have you seen the video of the eulogy, of course, like absolutely studying and heartbreaking moment. So when a song like Believe comes out, it feels very apt in a lot of ways, lyrically about kind of what Share is going through in her life and after a really major loss of someone very transformative in her career end existence.
Speaker 2: Well, this is Sharre in your fifties, and this is someone who was not expected to still be famous in her twenties, and she was considered washed up by the time she was at the end of her teens, and she certainly was not expected to be still going, still growing, still experimenting, still relevant into her thirties. So for Shared to be entering her fifties with a song like this, well, I mean it's got to be kind of.
Speaker 1: Thematic, yeah, And I mean this song is one of the great dance songs of all time. This is a song that's fitting into the dance pop renaissance at the late nineties, the kind of euro dance club wave that's happening across music. I mean, this is a pretty unexpected sound for someone who is entering their fifties as a pop star at this time. Instead of being like acting washed up in the way that so much of the industry thought that she was, She's like, actually, I'm gonna make something that feels so current, more current than anything else, and also invent auto tune or make auto tune popular or whatever. But I'm saying she's invented I'm going to say that she invented it. But she makes auto tune something that people like Tea Pain and Kanye West would make a big part of their music just a decade later. You know, like, this is someone who was ahead of the curve at you know, so many decades into her career still and.
Speaker 2: The beautiful moment where her voice takes on. Just to be clear, this this wasn't a vocoders like.
Speaker 3: The Yeah, it was the pitch correction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was such a crazy sound.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and also just I mean lyrically too, the song is so great. I mean, it's like one of the great sort of hopeful, optimistic, kind of ephoric dance songs. Do you believe in life after Love, incredible line, gutting line, what a question and again, like especially in the context of that year for Sharing, in the context of the nineties, for Share, I mean, this was a time when she was at a truly I mean there were low points in her career and in her life, but she truly was dealing with major health issues, was truly dealing with kind of an uncertain future for some time, and then lost someone who was, for you know, at one point, the love of her life and so one who she considered to be sort of a great love in her life, even with sort of how fraught the relationship was towards the end and at times, you know, even in the beginning, but you know, to kind of have a soil like that very lyrically that looks back on that and feels so apt to that moment and then has sort of this larger than life existence is pretty remarkable and incredible.
Speaker 2: And it's well, the autotune. It's not being used to fix flaws in her performance. It's something that's very flaunted and it's used as a musical hook. It's not used to, you know, to hide anything about her voice. It's the part when she sings when she comes to a really emotional and self doubting and questioning part of the song and that little flutter like it takes harm and Yeah, and it's almost like a little vocal pirouette that is like very like blatantly digital. It's a really kind of strange moment in terms of like the vocal where it becomes very artificial, very robotic for a second and just makes it seem more human. It's really kind of an astoundingly beautiful moment. It's not meant to be like hidden or anything. It's very it expresses a part of this song that is so perfectly suited to SHARE's voice by just really kind of robotically freakishly altering it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the producer Mark Taylor talked about it and how he just kind of wants to experiment with what it would sound like on this song and see if she was okay with it, and was kind of worried that she wouldn't be okay with something that is and had been known as pitch correction technology. And I mean she ended up really loving what that did for this song as well. And I mean that ended up being something that would really change pop music and also again, this became a Grammy Award winning.
Speaker 3: Song for Share.
Speaker 1: This became and still is one of the biggest hits of her career, the biggest hit of her career, I mean one of the top selling songs of her career, and I mean really sat on a new path of what we think of stars in their fifties, women in their fifties, and like how we can not see that as sort of like the end of their career. This is a totally new beginning. Everything has happened since then is remarkable. I mean, Chare only gets more popular every single year.
Speaker 3: She's had such.
Speaker 1: A string of songs and even movies that have continued to keep her, you know, just being one of the most beloved figures in entertainment history. Great Twitter account, just in a really truly remarkable Twitter account.
Speaker 2: Future historians will remember Twitter only as this weird little fad that happened during SHARE's timeline. Yeah, like the Share story, Twitter will be a minor footnote to like something that happened that chair made worthwhile.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are joining now by Rob Thomas, also known as bright Light bright Light, who is a recording artist, producer, and DJ. Thank you so much for joining us today to talk about Believe and Share.
Speaker 4: Well, it's not exactly a hoddship talking about this lady or this song.
Speaker 5: So I'm thrilled to be here. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was wondering, do you remember the first time you heard Share at all in your life?
Speaker 4: I think Share is always been there. My parents were sort of big music fans, and they listened to the Beatles, and like you know, Share was and sort of mixtapes with that.
Speaker 5: She's just always on TV.
Speaker 4: I was born in eighty two, so when I was growing up, it was right in the peak of when she had like film stardom, So I used to see her in the background in like Moonstruck and which is Vstwick and you know, all those films. But maybe like the first time that I really paid attention to what she was doing was sort of mid nineties with It's a Man's World Record. And then when this song came out, I ran to Woolworth's in Neath, which is my hometown, to buy this on CD single.
Speaker 5: So she's always been like a presence in my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was it like to kind of hear this pivot that Share had taken and also to then see it blow up and kind of give her this how room lives by that point, like or.
Speaker 4: It was wild to see that, unlike the other songs that I had heard of hers, everyone was talking about the song. Everyone in school was talking about it, like straight kids, weird kids, bullies and like you know, the popular kids. They were all talking about Believe and everyone was playing it and you could hear it everywhere. It was the first time I think I'd heard this sort of like completely all engulfing wave around one artist who everyone already knew and a song that everyone just loved. It was really amazing, I thought, because like I loved like the Junior Vasquez remix of one by One, which is you know, it's a man's world record, but that wasn't really.
Speaker 5: Like a hit.
Speaker 4: So I'd heard her in a dance well before. By hearing her in this, I think a very British centric sound because of Brian Higgins, and it sounded like you were in a British gay club, That's all it sounded like.
Speaker 5: To me.
Speaker 4: I think it was like helped by the popularity of like queer as Folk, which was out for us in like ninety seven ninety eight, I think, and people were listening to like really gay music. You know, we had like Gena Ge and we had Spice Girls and all these things which are just like so camp that Share released this anthem that just sounded like a British gay anthem. Yeah, and it was like just amazing and just fabulous.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I always think so much about like where the nineties started to like where the nineties ended up, especially kind of like thinking about the popularity of like grunge and like pop punk and all, and like you know to the moving to the sound of like europop and like the very kind of believe and like house music that we would.
Speaker 3: End up with by the end of the nineties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like it was a fabulous thing for me. I think it just made everybody on the same page for a moment in British pop culture, and everyone loved it. And you'd hear it in like coffee shops and clubs, straight and gay clubs, and you would just hear it on the radio everywhere and then like shopping centers, and it felt like just so wild to see like one song was literally everywhere, especially for like a heritage artist quote unquote who traditionally like younger kids wouldn't gravitate towards in terms of like buying like a new single or being like, that's the cool new song. It was really special and we've seen it happen a couple times since, but to see somebody of that caliber at that stage in their career have a number one hit pretty much worldwide was just amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's well because sometimes when a song turns out to be immortal, it's a surprise that it lasts a long. Believe was a song that hearing it then you instantly knew it was a song that it was going to be with us forever. It's really a tone with song.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a shame that she hates it. It's a real shame that she hates it. It's well documented. I don't know if you've read that interview where somebody says, like, what was it like when Believe was everywhere?
Speaker 5: And she says it was a nightmare.
Speaker 4: It's just just the opposite of what you imagine someone having a worldwide number one to be. And I really hope that she's got a place in her heart for it now because it is so special to so many people. And we were just saying off camera that when I DJ a lot. Almost every time that I DJ, somebody requests the song and it's a very mixed bag about what or age or demographic they are. That it doesn't really seem to matter. Everyone still loves dancing to the song. And when you play it and you hear the first.
Speaker 5: Love love, people like ah ha.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know, people just like melt into like it's like ephemeral things and they just they can't cope with how they go feral as wild.
Speaker 3: Do you remember the first time you ever danced to in a club?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I did go out a little bit underage, and I remember this being played in H two O, which is the gay club that we had in Swansea. I say gay club, not LGBTQ plus space because it was back then called the gay club. So just to backdate myself and how old I actually am, and I remember we had like three floors in that club. Downstairs was like a bar which closed at eleven. Then there was like a kind of pseudo bar restaurant in the middle, which was a weird choice, and then upstairs would be the big dance floor and you would hear it systematically on each floor.
Speaker 5: You know, as you went from one to the other.
Speaker 4: You would hear it like in every single space in the bar until you've got to the dance floor, and then it'd be played at least once or twice at night. So that was the space I heard it, and everyone was like drunk by the marina in Swansea, you know, drinking like these awful Alco pops. I don't know if you have those here, but like smiron off ice and things like that, smone off ice in your hand, smoke machine is on. You just hear Share and everyone's just like going absolutely crazy, and it was just such a specific sound and such a specific moment in time, and all the stuff that Brian Higgins did since that it is just iconic as well. But thinking about this is like a really pivotal moment for him, for chef, for.
Speaker 5: Like British pop culture, for like pop music.
Speaker 4: I think really because it's sort of changed agism in a way, which is really cool. And I think it made people focus on the song, not necessarily what they thought about the artist, and the song kind of came first for a while.
Speaker 5: It's really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all because Share, like you said, she'd already built your legend in some was at that point it didn't seem like she needed another iconic song, and yet it really invented in your share.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it really did. I think like the sort of wiggery was just wonderful. It was really cool, I think because she was even if she wasn't having that much fun with it, she presented like she was having a blast and it was really infectious. Like the artwork was this like shimmery, kind of like chintzy. It's like kind of like trashy and fabulous. So like if you have like a cheap fabric that makes a dress that feels great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's kind of like that.
Speaker 4: So it was like a bit gaudy, a bit tasteless, but also fabulous and so cool and like you just wanted to be part of it. The wigs were just so cool and so fun, and she looked amazing and everyone was like.
Speaker 5: How could she possibly be that age?
Speaker 4: She sounds amazing on this record, Like the voice is just wild, it's perfect, it's perfect for this the song, the production is perfect.
Speaker 5: The vocoder, which is just like weird thing to have. I don't know whose.
Speaker 4: Decision that was, but it was genius, you know, because everyone was like doing it in school.
Speaker 5: We'd be like really when we were in all lessons.
Speaker 4: It had so many little hooks that really got itself into pop culture, and it was inescapable for like a really long time and is now, but like it was in its peak for for months and months and months and months and months.
Speaker 2: I think, well, it speaks to everybody. I was at a punk rock show last week Mannequin Pussy and at the end they were trying to shew everybody out, but that song came on and.
Speaker 4: Ever left a room, No one ever will, no one ever was so good. It's not even my favorite song on that record, but it is just one of the best pop songs or pop dance songs of all time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would love to hear more about that experience of seeing a Share audience respawned to Share so many times and kind of in across Europe on that tour, Like, what was that.
Speaker 3: Like for you?
Speaker 4: It was really wild. So for anyone that doesn't know I opened for Share on too, I didn't nine. I was with her, which I never thought.
Speaker 5: I would do.
Speaker 4: And it's the craziest sentence to say, but I toured with her around Europe. I'd already seen the show in Brooklyn. I bought tickets for that before I even thought that I would get a look in to be the opening act. So I'd seen the show from you know, the cheap seats because I'm a bit of a cheap queen, and it's just so much fun. And we were watching it and you know, the video montages of like her movie career, all of the tracks, even from this album, like strong Enough and All Enoughing, which we're in the set list, have just such an amazing reaction from the people. But then when believe it was like the encore track, you know, you just feel the room everyone just sort of like starts lifting out of their seats and going into space because it really is such an amazing song. And she has hits from every decade, you know, and she has fans from every conceivable living age bracket, which is really amazing as well, and they all have their favorites from different parts of her life. But there's really no denying that, like this particular song is the moment where everyone is like tens across the board.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, amazing to watch him.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for joining us. I'm sure that's us could talk about share for the next several days. Thanks thanks so much for listening to Rolling Stone's five hundred Greatest Songs. This podcast is brought to you by Rolling Stone and iHeartMedia Rinnan Hosted by Me, Britney Spannis and Rob Sheffield. Executive produced by Gus Winner, Jason Fine, Alex Dale and Christian Horde, and produced by Jesse Cannon, with music supervision by Eric Seiler.