Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Day Break Asia for this Tuesday June sixth in Hong Kong, Monday June fifth in New York and coming up today.
Speaker 2: The SEC accuses Binance and its CEO of breaking US securities rules.
Speaker 1: Apple debuts its mixed reality headset.
Speaker 2: And China Evergrand's property management unit post a profit for twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: Former Vice president Mike pennsfile's paper to run for president, heavy fighting report in the Ukraine, and the FBI director faces a contempt of Congress hearing. I'm Dan Schwartzman with Global News.
Speaker 4: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg Daybreak Asia, the business news you need to start your day, and just one fifteen minute podcast available on Apple, Spotify, the Bloomberg Business App, and everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Good morning, I'm Doug Krisner and I'm Brian Curtiz. Here are the stories we're following today. The US Securities and Exchange Commission has accused Binance and it's CEO, Chug Pung Jau of breaking securities rules. The SEC alleged that Jaw and Binance mishandled customer funds and misled investors and regulators, among the allegations. The SEC said that two Binance linked tokens, BnB and busd were securities that the firm improperly offered and sold. The regulator also alleged that Binance and its US affiliate were not actually independent from one another and improperly functioned as an exchange. We heard from Bloomberg's Lydia Beyoud.
Speaker 5: The US entity of Binance, which has long claimed that it walls off US customers from accessing the international site. The SEC seems to be alleging that that was not in fact the case, or that controls weren't sufficient.
Speaker 1: Finance called the SEC complaint disappointing, saying it had engaged with the regulator in good faith negotiations to settle the matter. The Crypto Exchange also said that the SEC was misguided in not providing clarity over rules for digital assets, and we did see Crypto's take a hit. Bitcoin traded down to twenty five thousand and change. At the moment, it has ticked up two tens percent twenty five thousand and six eighty eight well.
Speaker 2: US regulators have a plan to fortify the US financial system. Larger US banks may have to boost their capital by an average of twenty percent. We have more from Bloomberg's and Kates.
Speaker 6: Bank regulators are considering new rules after several smaller regional lenders collapsed earlier this year. That means a broader swath of banks would face strict requirements for setting money aside under a draft plan designed to bolster the US financial system. Specific increases would depend on a lender's business model, and banks with at least one hundred billion dollars in assets may have to adhere to the regulation. A trade group that represents major financial institutions says the proposal would burden businesses and borrowers and hamper the economy in Washington and Kates Bloomberg Daybreak Asia.
Speaker 1: Well, we mentioned it was a big day for Apple. Let me say first that Apple stock did trade down a little bit, but more or less in line with what we saw in the marketplace, off about three quarters of one percent. The big day announcing the long awaited mixed reality headset at the Worldwide Developers Conference, and also some other new products and updates. Bloomberg's Tom Busby has more.
Speaker 7: After more than seven years of development, Apple finally unveiled the Apple Vision pro a thirty five hundred dollars mixed reality headset. It'll be available next year. It's Apple's first totally new hardware products since the Apple Watch made its debut about eight years ago, seen by some as a successor to its wildly popular iPhone in terms of future revenue. The company also announced a new fifteen inch MacBook Air laptop, as well as updated software and features for the iPad and the iPhone, but investors didn't seem all that impressed on Monday, sending shares of Apple down three quarters of one percent. Tom busby Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 2: Asia well as I mentioned a short while ago decision day for the Reserve Bank of Australia and economist and money markets seem to be divided on which way the RBA will go. Today's decision two thirty pm Sydney time, and we have a preview now from Bloomberg's Paul.
Speaker 8: One third of the thirty economists surveyed by Bloomberg expect the RBA will raise its cash rate to four point one percent. The majority, including the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, anticipate it will stampat at three point eighty five percent, and traders pricing in about fifty to fifty odds. Last month, Governor Philip Low took RBA watches by surprise when he unexpectedly hiked interest rates following a pause in April. His rhetoric, however, has recently turned more hawkish as he weighs renewed price pressures against the slowing economy. Last week, Low said that the RBA Board will do whatever is necessary to bring consumer price gains back down to the Central banks two to three percent target. The RBA's own forecast show inflation only returning to the top of its target in mid twenty twenty five. I'm Paul Allen Bloomberg Daybreak Asia.
Speaker 1: The Australian dollar pretty steady here this morning, sixty six point one nine US sense, but up from yesterday. Well. Everground Group's property management unit has posted a profit for twenty twenty Twoobrigs Juan Wong has more from Hong Kong.
Speaker 9: Evergrand Property Services saw net income of one point four to two billion yuan or about two hundred million US dollars in twenty twenty two. That's an improvement over a loss in twenty twenty one, according to a delayed earnings report, but profit was far less than an estimate of three point eight billion yuan. The disclosure is a key milestone toward the lifting of a stock trading suspension. The suspension has been in place for more than a year. If the band were to be lifted, it would help creditors work out the merits of a restructuring of debt. Evergrant has offered to the swap debt for equity as part of the overhaul, But in order for the band to be lifted, Evergrand still needs to show that there are no reasonable regulatory concerns on management integrity that's hanging in the balance in Hong Kong, joined Wang, Bloomberg, Day Brigasia.
Speaker 1: And Thok some other developments who will be taking a look at this morning. This may disappoint some investors. China is sticking with targeted steps to help the economy instead of any broad measures. They'll be looking at property and manufacturing. It suggests that at least for the moment, the broader stimulus like interest rate cuts, seem to be off the table. And it was an interesting quote from jershaud jaw at Credit Agricole saying that Chinese officials are eyeing more quality of growth, not just the pace of the expansion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of an exercise in surgery, isn't it, Where you really get in and you've become much more specific and targeted about the areas in which you'd like to see the economy do better. One of the things that I was struck by, Brian, if you look at this services PMI that we had today, and coupled with the fact that that manufacturing PMI last week showing contraction for a seven straight month, we seem to be you know, world where some pmis, particularly in Asia, are improving a little bit, but it seems to be a different story here in the US. I wonder what that says about global growth right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting that you point that out. I was looking at the ISM number there it's just barely and expansion. And we have the taishin services yesterday, which doesn't get a lot of coverage because it comes after the official PMIS, but it was up to fifty seven point one in May, and that's higher than what we saw fifty six point four the month before, and it was also stronger than the survey estimate. So even though we're thinking of a stumbling recovery in China, the services number was pretty strong.
Speaker 2: So and if you believe what the consensus call is for the Fed to hold rate steady next t week, keep it options open maybe for hikes later this year. Bloomberg Economics right now says, when you take everything into consideration, we're looking at a recession before the end of the year is out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll put that question to James Abonte's coming up, managing director and chief investment officer at Center Asset Management, one of our favorite guests here on the program. Well, we love them all, but James definitely is a standout. Now it's time for global news. Well, let's take a closer look here. I had some of the top stories We've got Dan Schwartzman and the Bloomberg Newsroom Dan Hey Brian.
Speaker 3: Tensions remaining high between the US and China. Two recent incidents highlighting that tension, as a Chinese warship sailed in front of the US destroyer, missing the ship by about one hundred and fifty yards, while a Chinese jet recently crossed in front of an American spyplane over international waters. US National Security Council Coordinator John Kirby talking about the incidents.
Speaker 10: These are part and parcel of an increasing level of aggressiveness by the PLA PRC's military in particularly in the area of the Taiwan Straits and in the South China Sea.
Speaker 3: Kirby was speaking at the White House. Former Vice President Mike pens has filed the necessary paperwork to run for President President Trump's former VP, joining a field that continues to get more crowded, as former New Jersey Governor Chris Christi and North Dakota Governor Doug Bergham are expected to announce this week. One name that has decided not to run is New Hampshire Governor Chris Sununu. A House committee will vote on the contempt of Congress resolution against FBI Director Christopher Ray on Thursday. The move comes after Ray did not comply with the subpoena for a document held by the FBI the Republicans say links President Biden to a five million dollar bribery scheme with an unnamed foreign national. The FBI says it produced a document in a reading room at the Capitol. New details emerging regarding the private plane entering restricted airspace over Washington yesterday before crashing in Montebello, Virginia, with four fatalities Bloomberg's Nancy Lions with more.
Speaker 11: The incident prompted F sixteen fighter jets to scramble to see why the plane was in restricted airspace. They discovered the pilot was unconscious. Adam Gerhart with the National Transportation Safety Board says there are plenty of unanswered questions.
Speaker 2: When exactly did the pilot become unresponsive and why did the airplane fly the flight track that it did fly.
Speaker 11: The plane eventually crashed near Stanton, Virginia, and Gearhart says the wreckage is scattered and in mountainous terrain, making for a tough recovery Thanks Nancy.
Speaker 3: An ongoing hacking campaign has claimed British Airways, Pharmacy Chain, Boots, and the BBC as victims. The payroll provider to those companies, Zealous says a cyber Attech may have compromised personal information of thousands of employees to those companies. The government of Nova Scotia, Canada, has also been named a victim in this scheme, with potentially thousands of companies still vulnerable to be compromised as well. California state leaders are blasting Florida governor and Republican presidential hopeful rond de Santis. The anger stems from two flights of migrants from New Mexico to Sacramento that were sent there allegedly at the direction of Florida officials. California Governor Gavin Newsom has hinted that the state could pursue criminal charges against DeSantis for the moves. Global News twenty four hours a day, power by more than twenty seven hundred journalists and analysts in over one hundred and twenty countries. I'm Dan Schwartzman, and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: I'm Brian Curtis in Hong Kong along with Rashad Salmon. Our guest is James Demonte, managing director and chief investment Officer, Center Asset Management. So a little bit of weak data there today, but the data has been mixed of late. There's been a few things that were stronger than expected. How do you see the FED moving at this this month's meeting, James, Well, I.
Speaker 12: Think if you look and really during the entire cycle, the one year treasure yield has led the FED funds rate over this entire period, and similar to the peak of the rate cycle tops in two thousand and two thousand and six. Right now, we see the FED funds rate trading at about fifty basis points premium above the one year treasure note, and that's the widest we've seen of this cycle. And each time that's occurred, that has indicated that the FED be on hold. And as we've always said, we think that the Fed's targets here during this entire cycle was to raise the real Fed funds rate that's the FED funds rate minus inflation to positive territory. And if you look at tips, whether it's five years or out through ten years, they're around one and a half percent positives. So I think the FED could say mission accomplished in terms of the hiking cycle, but they will definitely wait for inflation to subside further before I think moving again. But they will basically pause I think at the upcoming meeting.
Speaker 13: Well, I mean they should, don't you think here, James.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, because what you see is, you know, inflation figures coming down in goods. If you look at commodity prices today, even with the very positive news with regards to the Saudi Arabia cutting supply of oil, oil prices and industrial commodity prices were relatively muted what that tells you is is a demand problem and that indicates some kind of cyclical downturn. And perhaps if you think about where inflation has been embedded in the last few months, it's been in the services sector. And to the extent that the ISM services figure came in today at around fifty, you know, indicating no longer expansion and less pricing pressure in the services sector. I think it gives the FED the opportunity to really pause here at this point in time.
Speaker 13: Well, certainly with all these t builders are going to be coming to the market as well. I mean we're talking in a veritable tsunami nearly a trillion dollars worth. Now my point here is also that's going to suck liquidity out of the system. That's number one. Number two, who's going to buy them?
Speaker 12: Well, I think you'll see the banks and pension funds continue to be buyers, particularly as we saw an announcement of a potential raise in capital requirements for banks. Banks have been the most voracious buyers of treasury bills and bonds over this period of time since the fedes launched quantitative easing, and even during the current period of time. So you're still going to see very healthy demand for particularly these types of yields from the major institutions in the financial services sector, insurance, banking, et cetera.
Speaker 1: You noted the slowing, but what was unusual was at the end of last week we had a real bounce in cyclical stocks, as though people might give the NASDAQ one hundred stocks a little bit of a pause and pile into the more or equal weight companies. But it seems to run counter to that slowing economy that you mentioned.
Speaker 12: It does, and I think one of the most frustrating things for you know, active managers is that what we have witnessed thus far is, you know, the dominance of cap weighted inducees against equal weighted induses. It is frankly unheard of. If you're thinking about this being a new bull market. You know, if you look at any beginning of a bull market, whether it goes back to even nineteen ninety, two thousand and two, two thousand and nine, twenty twenty, equal weighted is always outperformed cap weighted. I think that's consistent with what we're seeing in the sense that people are gravitating towards higher quality, larger companies because we're still in the phase where profits are decelerating, sales growth is decelerating, the ANALYP is kind of deteriorating, but not at a at a expedited manner, so people want to gravitate source quality. We're nowhere near the bottom of the economic cycle or the profit cycle, which is why, you know, it's been an environment where quality and larger cap companies has demonstrated about the differential between cap weighted and equated in disease.
Speaker 13: Have shown well, I just thought it was you know, the second part of my question was of course about liquidity, and I just want to ask how much do you think the FED is cognizant of the way that credit has tightened and how that's doing their job for them?
Speaker 12: Partly, Yeah, I think that's the other thing to look at in the fixed income world, and probably more important, it's not so much what the FED funds rate is doing, but to look at the spreads, and right now we've actually seen for the first time, you know, a noticeable uptick in junk bond yields. This has been you know, quite significant. It's nowhere near the levels that we saw back in the global financial crisis or even back in two thousand but the FED has to be well aware that the risk off and the spike in junk bond and even investment grade bonds has been quite dramatic and something to be another another notch to basically give them some caution here to let it play out.
Speaker 1: We don't often talk extensively about China, but we can do for a moment or two. I think some investors may be looking for more stimulus from authorities in China, but it seems that they want to stick with the targeted approach. It's it's a mixed environment there and much the same way it's mixed in the US. So would you deploy capital to China at this juncture?
Speaker 12: It's been very frustrating, you know, in our Global Infrastructure Fund and other global investments that we manage. You know, China, whether it's via Hong Kong or on shore, has been you know, a continuing source of frustration and continues to stay in a trading range. You know, we seem to continue and was touched upon in the news segment of having this uneven recovery globally, and a lot of it has to do with when individual economies unleashed or allowed COVID restrictions to come off. And that's what makes this cycle so difficult to navigate, whether it's here in the United States here in China, is to somehow reconcile a historical business cycle, stock market cycle to the very unusual set of circumstances, both in terms of the drop in recovery, drop in economic activity and the extraordinary stimulus following COVID, which was really a very short period of time ago. And I'm almost of the belief that we have to kind of, you know, think about this cycle within a longer period of time. This is not a very specific set of quarters to look at, but look back and somehow blend the COVID environment to this current cycle to somehow give a better picture, to compare it to other periods of time.
Speaker 13: Well, this is it, isn't it The base effects of you have thought would have been flattering the economic data coming out of China of late, But no.
Speaker 1: Not really.
Speaker 13: It's actually just highlighted how perhaps things looking back. But then again, you look at the market there and it's incredibly good in terms of valuations being inexpensive. And I think as Bank of America came up with a great language was China's too cheap to shortened, too mediocre to go long.
Speaker 12: Yeah. That being said, you know, one of the biggest dangers that or traps that value investors fall into is buying low PE companies just before the E disappears and they become you know, PE with which are incalculable because there's no earnings. The fact is China's market is much more cyclical than the United States. You know, what we've seen, particularly with the offshoring over the past couple of decades, is the inventory and capital intensity cycles that used to be resident here in the United States and Europe have been basically imported into China. So that capital cyclicality, you know, gives operating leverage a much kind of larger standard deviation. So if indeed the global economy started to slow down, and US consumers in particular are going to slow down, that's going to have a significant impact on China's manufacturing capabilities and productivity utilization rates. And you'll see, you know, companies that are earning in very low PE attractiveness from an optical perspective go to loss making, which will basically make that valuation seem you know, not so appealing.
Speaker 1: James Thanks for being with us today. We appreciate it. James Abote, Managing Director, Chief Investment Officer, Center Asset Management. This is Bloomberg Daybreak Asia, your morning brief on the story is making news from Hong Kong to Singapore and Wall Street.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed every day, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each day on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg nine sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 1: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, Sirius XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeart Radio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Brian Curtis.
Speaker 2: And I'm Doug Prisner. Join us again tomorrow for all the news you need to start your day, right here on Bloomberg day Break Asia.