Speaker 1: I Am all in you.
Speaker 2: I Am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey Everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all in Podcast. One eleven Productions, one eleven Media, one eleven podcast. iHeart Radio, iHeart Podcast, iHeartMedia. Pop Culture, Season seven, Episode one, The Longmorrow, joined by my Trapid Crew, Terra, Danielle and Amy. I can't see you. Where are you? Amy? Are you?
Speaker 2: It's because we have notes up and you can't see me. But I totally here.
Speaker 1: I always like to see you, I know, but.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely here. And I actually I'm pretty stoked to talk about the Twilights.
Speaker 1: On episode So go right ahead.
Speaker 2: Well, so this the Longmorrow, I kept saying Morrow is in reference to a Twilight Zone episode of the same name, The Longmorrow, and it's the symbolism of Rory's rocket. And sometimes this does happen to me in pop culture, but it really made me want to go watch this Twilight Zone episode. I haven't done it yet, but I will. It's Logan's favorite episode of the Twilight Zone. And in this episode, an astronaut falls in love on the eve of a forty year long space voyage. The story focuses on how he and his lover confront the problem that his forty years in suspended animation will cause a age range between them. So I didn't fully get it, but it reminded me a bit of that Jennifer Lawrence Chris Pratt movie where they're supposed to be in suspended animation and then they wake up. I think it was called Passenger. So I am going to go watch this Twilight Zone episode. But The Twilight Zone is a science fiction horror anthology series created by Rod Serling, which ran for five seasons from nineteen fifty nine to nineteen sixty four. William Shatner, Robert Redford, d Name White all made it appearances, and it's come back like multiple times. Forrest Whitaker had a version. I think there was another version reason recently with Peel maybe Peel Yeah, Jordan Peel Yeah. And it's all based off this creation of of Rod's early Okay, but it's freaky. I only like to watch it during the day because sometimes if I watch it too late at night, I get kind of like freaked out somehow.
Speaker 1: I can't see Robert Redford as.
Speaker 2: It's very you know, the music doing just the theme song gooke Wait you can't picture Shatner.
Speaker 1: As what as I just did a funny choke.
Speaker 2: Give it again.
Speaker 1: Well it's not gonna work, it'll work better. That's ruined, ruined. I can't hear.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, Like everybody gets so mad because I interrupt. It's just because I can't hear sometimes because of the way the technology is. It's not an excuse, but just like, leave me alone. It's hard. This is hard, Like people don't understand, like this is actually kind of hard what we do. It doesn't seem like it should be, but it is.
Speaker 1: It is so hard.
Speaker 2: It's so hard. Your joke again, it is good. I don't want to miss it. I don't want to miss your joke, especially if it's a shattered joke. Can you please do it again? I was like, I gonna have to go back and listen to this episode. I don't have to mute my own feed. God, it's torturing me and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Read like I can't else, Taylor, you run a red light. It's time for your close up, mister Demil. These little wonders are taking over the globe New York, Los Angeles, piis Singapore. Cecil b. Demil was a filmmaker and actor. I didn't know he's an actor. Between nineteen fourteen and nineteen fifty eight, he made seventy features, both silent and sound. He has acknowledged as a founding father of American cinema and the most commercially successful producer director in film history. Taylor is saying, because of the camera, he's ready for a famous filmmaker to take his picture. Did you know? In nineteen thirteen, Demil, along with other industry pioneers, founded the Famous Player's Lasky Corporation, which eventually evolved into Paramount Pictures. Interesting tidbits there.
Speaker 3: Lorelei and Rory are attempting to play racketball but end up sitting on the ground to chat. Rory is trying to figure out what Logan's rocket gift is supposed to mean, and Rory says, it's just a model rocket. I mean, what could that mean? Who gives somebody a rocket? Laurli says, I don't know, I don't know. We'll figure it out, though, rocket rock, a rocket, rocketman, crocodile rock was good. Benny and the Jets Candle in the wind? Rory says, are you just naming nuts in? John songs. Elton John is a singer, pianist, and composer. Rocketman, Crocodile, Benny and the Jets and Candle in the Wind were written. We're written in collaboration with Bernie toppin Their partnership is recognized as one of the most successful in musical history.
Speaker 2: If I get this right, Elton writes the music, the no no no no no no no, and Bernie right, sorry the word. Bernie writes the lyrics.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Did you know? Elton John has ten god children, including Sean Lennon, David and Victoria Beckhams sons Brooklyn and Romeo, Elizabeth Hurley's son Damien Hurley, and Seymour Signs, VP of Warner Brothers Records daughter. And I think I think Lady Gaga is his kids god mother.
Speaker 2: Oh really, I think so.
Speaker 4: I actually think you're right. Someone's it's godmother.
Speaker 3: It's Lady Gaga. But I did see Elton John on his farewell tour at Dodger Stadium. Oh my god, that was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.
Speaker 1: It my.
Speaker 2: Stud. He's a total stud.
Speaker 3: Such a stud.
Speaker 1: Did they play a funeral for a friend?
Speaker 2: You mean handle in the wind.
Speaker 1: No Funeral for a Friend. No, that's the Lady Die song that he wrote for ye.
Speaker 2: But he wrote it before and then redid it.
Speaker 1: Funeral for a Friend is different song.
Speaker 2: What is everybody's favorite Elton John song?
Speaker 1: Before we move on Funeral for a Friend?
Speaker 2: Never heard of it?
Speaker 3: But Bene I was not, say Benny in the chests.
Speaker 2: First of all, mine is definitely your song, but I cannot think of it. You're not being of Phoebe being like, you're right, hold me close, young tone and dns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are so lucky to have been graced with Elton John.
Speaker 2: You're in your life. The movie is good. To the movie Rocketman, it's goods Do you are you too young to know?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I said Benny and the Jets.
Speaker 2: Oh, I also, you know what is? It's an It's a really good one that nobody remembers. Sad songs say so much. Sad songs say so much? Do you guys know it? You need to listen to it. It's actually real good.
Speaker 1: M hmm.
Speaker 2: Can you feel.
Speaker 3: To night? I thought we not allowed to do this.
Speaker 2: We're not supposed to sing songs, but we delay from zoom. I know suddenly my zoom started like saying things to me. I was like, sorry, you'll go break in my house.
Speaker 3: Good one, Yeah, it's a really good one.
Speaker 4: So Rory barges into her home after seeing Kirk crash through Luke Steiner. Laurel I is carrying laundry and a big pile of stuff in her living room. Rory says, Okay, do you remember when you begged me to see Fast and the Furious with you? And I said no? And then you begged me to go see the Fast and Fury is two with you and I said no, And then Fast and the Furies three Tokyo drift came out. Loreal says, cars, they drift.
Speaker 2: They still be making new Fast and Furious, But they sure are?
Speaker 4: I know, right?
Speaker 2: And oh I still miss Paul Walker.
Speaker 4: Like so, The Fast and Furious is a media franchise about street racing, street racing, heights and family, starring Vin Diesel and Paul Walker up until his death, and the first film is based on the nineteen ninety eight Vibe magazine article Racer X by Ken Lee. It began the original Tetri tetrology.
Speaker 2: I don't even think I've ever heard that word. What does that word mean?
Speaker 3: I haven't either.
Speaker 4: I don't know the original tetrilogy of film.
Speaker 2: I thought the word was trilogy. So trilogy is three tenh there you go?
Speaker 1: Wow thing?
Speaker 2: And did you oh, here we go?
Speaker 4: I guess if I kept reading, I would know.
Speaker 2: Did you know that there's a.
Speaker 4: Total of eleven fast the various movies the franchise has brought in seven point forty seven billion at the worldwide box office?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Vin Diesel is not struggling.
Speaker 1: And I don't know loan of good lights.
Speaker 2: Vin Diesel's like this thing is a real fluke that turned into be a real cash cow.
Speaker 1: M all right. So same scene Rory explaining what happened with Kirk and Luke at Luke steiner Ry and nobody was hurt, Everything was fine, but the smashup was unbelievable in one right, the Luke's and Kirk gets up and he gets out in the car. He says he's like Evil Kniebel style, like I'm okay, I'm okay. By the way, Evil Kniebel uh really never got up from a crash and said he was okay because he was getting rushed the hot all the time with ninety thousand broken bones. Evil Knebel was a stunt performer entertainer. Throughout his career, he attempted more than seventy five ramped or ramp motorcycle jumps. His most famous stunt was an attempt to jump the fountains at Caesar's Palace, which resulted in severe injuries. Despite his own injuries, he was a proponent of motorcycle helmet safety and supported the mandatory helmet bill in the state of California. Did you know? Evil Kniebel chose his nickname after spending a night in jail ninety fifty six after being arrested for reckless driving. In the same Jimbo that night was a man named William Kanu Kanufful who had the nickname Awful Kanffle. No. This led to Knievl. This is a fun fact being referred to as Evil Knieval.
Speaker 2: Now is Evil Canevl like? And don't yell at me?
Speaker 1: Please? No? What he's yelling?
Speaker 2: Nobody's yelling, Danielle and Tara? Does his mean anything to you? Or is it like a real seventies thing? Evil?
Speaker 1: That's a real seventies.
Speaker 3: When I think of Evil Knieval, I think of just somebody like crashing into stuff.
Speaker 1: So in the seventies they did these. There was this trim and every Saturday called ABC's Wide World of Sports. It was a big show, and Evil Knievel was a couple of times a year, ABC's world Wide World Sports would cover Evil Canevl jumping over like you know, all these buses.
Speaker 2: Or something like jumped the Grand Canyon.
Speaker 1: Or and he tried to jump the Grand Canyon in a rocket car. Okay, so this guy was hell bent for leather. He was completely suicidal like.
Speaker 3: Our guys or our generation's jackass.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, this was a guy who was literally risking his life. It wasn't like, yeah, so hard that they would show slow motion reruns of the jibt his crash and you could actually see his bones breaking in those room. They showed slow motion over and over and here's the crashun And.
Speaker 2: I mean, this guy was remember Robbie Knievel, Evil's son.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and once in a while he'd land to jump without getting hurt too bad, But I don't know how many times he landed clean. He was always crashing and break it in and they'd run almost helicopter him to the hospital. It was constantly.
Speaker 2: I kind of had like a He had sort of a whole get up like I kind of remember Star like hel Kate. I feel like he had a Kate dressed like Elvis with a helmet like. The seventies were really.
Speaker 1: I mean the guy, you know, he had some he had some guts.
Speaker 2: The eighties were real fire. He did have a cape, sorry cape with like blue stars. He was almost got a similar uniform to Wonder Woman. Lorlai is sorting through Luke's stuff in the living room with Wory. This is Luke's. No, this is mine, but I wore it with Luke. When we went to see Jarhead, I was trying to look kind of army, and something about that combination of the movie and the hot dogs at the Waterbury Cineplex made me sick in the parking lot, and Luke held my hair and it was nice. Jarhead is a two thousand and five biographical war drama film. It's based on the two thousand and three memoir Jarhead by Anthony Swafford, chronicling his military service in the Marine Corps during the Persian Gulf War. The film stars Jake Jillenhall and Jamie Fox.
Speaker 1: I really and here's a side note, tell Renie Bell, who plays Lulu as the Poor Girls, portrayed Jake Jillenhall's great tidbit deranged institutionalized sister. No id of jar Head.
Speaker 2: I never saw Jarhead, but immediately I Jake Jillenhall was in it. I did not recall that Jamie Fox was in it, but I knew j Jillhall. The term jar heads first appeared as an as early as World War Two and referred to marine's appearance wearing their dress blue uniforms. The high collar on the uniform in the marine's head popping out of the top resembled a Mason jar. It is also a slang phrase used by sailors when referring to marines. Interesting, now, I still want to watch the Twilight Zone episode more than jar hits.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying.
Speaker 3: Rory holds up a pile of books. Lorelai wanted Luke to read, but he didn't. Rory says, hmm. Cormick McCarthy, good call in Cold Blood. He would have loved that, Laurlai says, well, he'll never know now. Cormick McCarthy was a writer and is a widely and is widely regarded as one of the greatest American novelists. He wrote No Country for Old Men, which was later turned into an Oscar winning film by the Coen Brothers. In Cold Blood is a nineteen sixty six nonfiction novel written by Truman.
Speaker 1: Capoti avar Bar and A Bad Haircut is knocking on your door, Don't answer it.
Speaker 3: It details of nineteen fifty nine murders of four members of the Clutter family and a small farming community of Holcombe, Tech, Kansas. It was then made into a film in nineteen sixty seven, starring Robert Blake, Scott Wilson, and James Forsite. The film was nominated for four Oscars in nineteen sixty eight. And did you Know?
Speaker 2: And Wait? Is Robert Blake the one that got into trouble?
Speaker 1: Yes? Wow?
Speaker 2: And John Forsyth is Charlie in Charlie's Angels and Blake Harrington and Dynasty.
Speaker 1: And Scott Wilson was in The Walking Dead.
Speaker 2: No, I oh, no, way, he's the old guy.
Speaker 4: Way way.
Speaker 2: I love Scott Wilson. I think one of the babies is named after him? And Walking Dead I think, uh yeah, one of the babies is named after him. Oh my gosh. I loved him in Walking Dead.
Speaker 3: M M, well, did you know in Cold Blood took six years for Capodi to research and write. His notes were over eight thousand pages long. It also took an incredible toll in Capodi personally, so much so that he never published another book again.
Speaker 2: He's in Walking Dead.
Speaker 1: They made it. Yeah, they made an indie film called Capodi, a brilliant, brilliant film. And I anybody's interested in seeing how he researched that.
Speaker 2: I'm so interested in Capodi. But what I'm more interested in is letting people know no, no, no, never. But you brought up Scott Wilson, and I'm so glad you did. Yes, the new Walking Dead, the one with Rick and Mashone. I think it's called like the Ones who Live? Oh my god, ten out of ten it is so good.
Speaker 1: Who's Rick and Mashone?
Speaker 2: They're the main Well, Rick is the main character in Walking Dead and ma Shone.
Speaker 1: Becomes like a very so so he got a spin off.
Speaker 2: He got a spin off, Daryl got a spin off. Uh, Jeffrey Dean Morgan got a spin off with Lauren Cohan, and then yeah, Rick and Michone have a spin off, and all the spin offs are great, but I don't this one might be the best one. It is so shocking that I find myself watching it like alone, talking to the television like it's just so weird, Like I'm fully like, no, that did not just happen. And they will kill you off like nobody's business. They do not care, like you'll just be dead.
Speaker 1: And that's why the show ended, by the way, because they didn't care.
Speaker 2: Well so many but it is super good. Okay, anyway, I digress. Sorry, who's given into the Walking Dead rewatch with Scott Patterson? Just kidding, I'll go next?
Speaker 1: Am I doing walking you want me to?
Speaker 2: Butnhead's way better?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: So Laura and Rory, you're talking about Logan and the last time he and Rory took a break, and Rory is getting anxious, she says, But it's hard on the phone, you know, I can't see him. I can't read his expression. How am I ever supposed to know what he's thinking or feeling? I mean, his eyes always give him away. Logan has very expressive eyes, Laura, l I says, I've noticed. It's one of the things he and Betty Davis have in common. Betty Davis is an American actress of film, television, and theater. She was noted for her willingness to play unsympathetic sardonic characters for her intent style of acting. She is known for her role in Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? And All About Eve. Laura is referring to.
Speaker 1: The scariest films. Jeez, when I was a kid, we watched those and it was just like, Wow, this is frightening, really crazy stuff. Sorry, whatever Happened to Baby Jane's really creepy? Go ahead?
Speaker 4: Sorry, okay, So Laurla is referring to the song Betty Davis Eyes by Donna Weiss and nineteen twenty four, but made popular by Kim carn Kim Carnes Kim Carnes in nineteen eighty one, And did you know that Betty Davis missed out on her chance to play Scarlett O'Hara and Gone with the Wind. She refused to work with Errol Flynn, who the studios were pursuing for Rhett, and she had been quoted saying she was realistic about Errol's limited acting talent and because of this, she was haunted by losing out on the nice.
Speaker 1: Nice move there, Betty yeah, good.
Speaker 2: More important to that. I was today years old when I realized there was an earlier version of Betty Davis' Eyes the song. I had no idea. I just thought Kim Carnes wrote it. WHOA wow, Wow, that's shocking.
Speaker 1: Who's up? All right? I mean you do? This is the last one I'm gonna do with. Rory calls Logan on the first day at the office. So's he can see Piccadilly Circus from his window. Rory, So you can just see elephants and clowns walking past your building all day long. Must be nice, Logan, It's brilliant, ry, brilliant. Oh my god, you're turning British? Do you have a secretary named Moneypenny? Miss Moneypenny is a fictional character in the James Bonds novels and films. She's secretary to m who was Bond superior Officer and head of the British Secret Intelligence Service. Did you know? And Ian Fleming's first draft of Casino Royal. Moneypenny's name was originally Miss Petty Petaval, which was taken from Kathleen Pettigrew, the personal assistant to I Six director Stuart Menzies. Fleming changed it to be less obvious and that ladies and gentlemen, as they say, it's gonna be a rap on the culture. Thanks ladies, Tara Daniel Amy, wonderful rollicks.
Speaker 2: I'm nervous for next week. But good stuff.
Speaker 1: Why what's next week?
Speaker 2: What's so nervous about? Every episode?
Speaker 1: Season continues? Well, everybody bring your own trash bags, because there's gonna be a whole lot of garbage. Anyway, that's a good one. I'm just trying to get everybody ready.
Speaker 2: Anne'll be back. Don't worry.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yes, I'll be back. Actual you have to listen to us anymore. She's just going to talk the whole time. We're just going to react. That's the new format. Yeah, we're gonna She has no idea what she's negotiating for. Yeah, she's making such great progress. She didn't know. It's our evil plan. So anyway, all the best kids keep downloading, keep sending the cards and letters, all those wonderful messages you send, and uh, all the best.
Speaker 2: Kind kind comments that I read, and then the job, I have to read them, and then I take it and I pay attention.
Speaker 1: Amy Amy, I have to. I'm gonna look, guys, listen, let's do an intervention here. Okay, don't read them. Don't read them, have somebody else.
Speaker 2: A whole job, and they get mad if we don't read them, and if they think we don't take their you know, suggestions, which we do. We take all your suggestions. I can take it.
Speaker 1: Listen, No, no, nobody can take it. It causes depression. Nobody can take all that negativity. Don't do it. Don't read them. I'm telling you. I know you think it's your job. Have somebody else, Have somebody else read them, and then they can they ones. Don't do it. It's and mental health Week begins right now. You're not reading them by kids. But hey, everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com