Speaker 1: I've been there, been there a few times. Yeah. Oh I love London, Yeah, I love I went to the airport there once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys out there.
Speaker 1: Which which he loves, he loves Gatwick doesn't have it, I loved. I'm a man myself, Yeah I was, Sun.
Speaker 2: Said man, because that's where the cheap flights go from.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean every I mean I don't try not to fly anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every time I've gone to the continent, I'm always like, why leave from Heath, Like it's like exponentially more expensive to go anywhere out of there.
Speaker 3: There was the John Lennon statue where I went.
Speaker 2: Which one from London?
Speaker 1: Are you? Okay? But it could have been a different British.
Speaker 2: Guy, just we have a few.
Speaker 1: It was just a statue. It could have just been a statue of some guy.
Speaker 3: I assumed it was John Lynon because I don't know any other people from England.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's our only man, the only yeah.
Speaker 1: The only person ever.
Speaker 3: Well, no, you have the guy from Wings, the guy from Wings McCartney.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting, the most roundabout Beatles references.
Speaker 3: Was he in the Beatles?
Speaker 1: Oh that's crazy man, Hello the Internet and welcome to season three forty six, Episode three of the Daily Zeitgeist production of iHeart Radio. You're throwing me off already. I should just chill for a second. Man, bad, my bad. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness. It is Wednesday, July tenth, twenty twenty four. What does that mean? What is July tenth? Will allow me to reintroduce this day? It's Oh my god, I don't think there's anything going on today. Oh it's no. It's National Penia Kalada Day, National kitten Day, Chronic disease Day. Okay, we do have some of the pop off, so shout out all of those things, bring awareness to all of them, and then top it off with a Pina colada, if you will. My name is Miles Gray, AKA. We need some Taylor ration colbaar nation in this DNC Mark Paul Gotsoler skating Gary Payton. Maybe yes, man Blyeth Okay, shout out to Salvador Jolly. That was touching on one of the more interesting schemes we've heard about. Replacing Joe Biden is like, just do like Oprah and Colbert and Taylor Swift to talk to whoever the new candidate is and and that will completely reverse the policies of the party that also need to change. But anyway, that's from Salvador Jolly to the tune of Family Affair. I gotta say, rhyming DNC with dancery. I love that. I gotta say, I really enjoyed that. But look, I am thrilled to be joined today by my guest co host, someone who we all know is a wonderful comedian, producer, podcaster, you know again, multi hyphen it's only in this guest podcast position host of Bad Hasbara, Please welcome, and it's also the most moral podcast in the world. It is the most moral podcast in the world. Please welcome to the microphone, mister Matt leeb.
Speaker 3: Guys, I did earlier that was me because Jack wasn't here, and also I'm gonna say footnotes, rand there you go this episode, it's me Matt leeb aka because I'm Matt. I'm Matt, I'm Matt Lee.
Speaker 1: What's up? That was me? I love was that off the cuff, off the talk, off the top of the head. I love to see that.
Speaker 3: You have to understand that I've got a you know, a pretty storied career of parody songs. Usually you're about eating butts, in which I use this on a MONOPI invented for eating butts called lum Yes. And I will do one of those songs at the beginning of every frodcast.
Speaker 1: But for this.
Speaker 3: One, Baby, I'm talking my own name.
Speaker 1: I like that. We love to hear that. Thank you so much, Matt. And speaking of musical talents, our two guests today host a wonderful podcast about another musical powerhouse one, Bruce the Boss Springsteen, New Jersey's very own. I know very little about Bruce Springsteen aside from what I get just sort of ambiently from being an American, But after listening to their podcast, I'm I'm starting to understand things a little bit better, at least from a completely new perspective, which I really enjoy. They are the hosts of the podcast because the Boss belongs to us. Asking the question, look, is Bruce Springsteen actually one of the greatest queer icons? Then they have a very emphatic answer to that question. Please welcome to the microphone, Please live in to the microphone. Jesse Lawson and Holly Cassio to have you. Oh of course, and we do want to acknowledge Jesse you are currently both of our guests are coming live from the UK right now. But Jesse, you do live near a main road and ambulance station, so if there is some ambience, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm literally a radio producer.
Speaker 4: That is my job and I have the West House for requiting it.
Speaker 5: It sounds like you're just in the middle of the street.
Speaker 1: Right right. We love it. Yeah, it was like, is that one of those zoom backgrounds where it looks like they're in a house and they may just be sort of sitting like on the high road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sitting out.
Speaker 1: Well, it's great to have you.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Like I said at the top, like I I don't know anything about Bruce Springsteen. A lot of people like you'd like a man he's from New Jersey, You're from the valley out cash And I'm like, yeah, I respect that, I guess, but tell us a little bit about your podcast because I also love that, you know, as sort of in the description of your show too, you also asked the question why you the host transactivist, abolitionist, DIY punk, drag king, working class weirdos, What are y'all doing? Idolizing assist straight, Rich white Man.
Speaker 5: Well done forgetting that out in one take. I think we can never do that in one straight text.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 3: I'm good as a professional dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can.
Speaker 2: Tell, you can tell.
Speaker 5: I think you are actually our target audience because I think we talk a lot about Bruce Sprinksy and we get very very nerdy about it, and we forget that actually other people outside of yeah, the myth of Bruce sprinks and a lot of people don't know about him and like who he really is, including us. We're kind of making up as we go along, but we do a lot of very big, deep dives into who we think he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I would say like that was my experience. I think one of the so I got into Bruce Springsteen when I was in my early twenties, and before that point I hadn't thought that much about him because he is, like, you know, one of his album covers has the American flag, right, everyone says that he's the same as bon Jovi, Like I just like I was like, well, this isn't for me. And then I had the kind of like classic experience that lots of people we talked on the show had where I just listened to one song and was like, it's about gender, and then I became obsessed with him. So yeah, I think like that's something we talk about a lot on the show. It's like, yeah, there's a real Bruce who lives in New Jersey, and there's a Bruce that we've projected all of our thoughts and feelings onto.
Speaker 5: And it's really weird because sometimes you think, like I'm getting all this queer stuff from Bruce, what on earth are other people getting? Like you, look, I love America, Ali Bruce Brigsy and it's like, what version of briefs are you listening to?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I think most Americans things go over our heads anyway. And people were like, huh so the song la so I had some depth to the lyrics that I wasn't picking up on. I thought it was a really bad guy working in a steel town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're really underestimating how stupid we are as the country. We saw American flag and said, guy, love Marrat and then we're like, yeah, America is good. Its lyric sheets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I.
Speaker 4: Did like, yeah, that literally happened, isn't it. Because Trump passed Bruce Springsteen to play his inauguration. Yeah, it is about like workers rights and unionization.
Speaker 3: Right, we've only had worse too, because like now you have like every other day, uh, Tom Morello will tweet something and they'll be like ten conservative reply guys like oh I missed when rage wasn't woke, And it's like, how completely in media criticism do you have to be to think they were?
Speaker 1: Like your ears work? Right? Have you just heard down Rowdale a brown skin man says their grandparents buy one. It's so great? Yeah yeah, well yeah no. The other thing too, is like just it was fun hearing you both like discover suddenly it's like, wait, am I the only Boss fan? You're like no, this is like this is truly like shared experience, and like I'm I'm guessing. Like anything, it's always fun to kind of begin to find your community sort of like in this niche way too. It must be just only like sort of furthers your love for the Boss.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we we are legion.
Speaker 5: I think that's what we discovered that the podcast is there are so many of us out there, and I think secretly we've done this just to make more friends.
Speaker 2: Because everyone we talk to.
Speaker 5: There's just so many queer fans out there that hear his lyrics or see him and don't know whether they actually want to be him or whether they want to make out with him. They're not quite sure. There's so many of us, it's incredible, to be clear.
Speaker 3: The reason anyone starts a podcast is to make friends. That's just letting you know we.
Speaker 2: Are best friends right now.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, absolutely, Like I'm coming to I'm going to ask to crash at your places when I'm in the UK next time. This is how friends to me from the podcast about fifteen months ago. If you remember, I'm here and I have Nando's, I'm willing to share.
Speaker 2: As.
Speaker 1: You know, or we'll get the meal deal at Tesco whatever whatever. You know.
Speaker 2: On the noisy, busy street that I live on, there is a Nandos, so.
Speaker 1: Oh perfect, Well call me, you know, Perry, mister Perry Perry. The thing. I also got to add, what's like in your opinion? What's like Spruceting's Spruce Spruce Stings? Yeah? What Springsteen's like most based song that you be? Like? Man, people need to fucking actually listen to this track, like to really just to kind of blow up in your mind about who Bruce Springsteen is great question.
Speaker 2: So many.
Speaker 5: I mean the Born in the USA is like the really obvious one that everyone's kind of aware of, the.
Speaker 3: One that's about loving the USA, right absolutely, yeah, unions, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just fucking that flag.
Speaker 5: But like he, I think the song we talked about a lot on the show is Dancing in the Dark, which sounds like it's just pop banger. Like it's just a pop it everyone knows, and it's just a song about bleak depression and isolation and darkness and queerness if you want to hear it. But it's just such an unbelievably sad, deep song that goes on miss because it's just such a pot banger.
Speaker 3: I always thought that was a song about how to start a fire. It's like, I can't start a.
Speaker 1: Fire, spark, is that what you're doing? Yeah? Yeah and so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I figured it was just like teach America how to make more fires.
Speaker 1: We have that fire in your heart. They're called gender reveals, and we do them in dry areas to start wildfires.
Speaker 4: It's I saw one of them in real life the other day, which I thought it was just an American thing.
Speaker 2: I go swimming with a bunch.
Speaker 4: All of us are trans who go swimming together, and we were walking down the beach and there was a legitimate gender reveal party and that and when they revealed, they were like, it's a boy, and we were like.
Speaker 1: For now, yeah, yeah, keep telling them that. Well, look, we're going to get to know you all even better, but first we are going to just give people a quick peek at to what we're going to be talking about. You know, there's so much news happening. One of the bigger stories is the landset. The Medical Journal has published a study that was counting the dead in goz It's called counting the Dead and Gozet Difficult but Essential, which has a much higher estimate than anything I think that has ever been reported. But when you look at sort of the methodology of how they came to this number, it makes perfect sense. Then we might also talk about how gen Z caught another body. This time gen Z is killing flirting, according to the New York Post and many other places, So we'll talk about that, and we will also because we have some esteem guests from the UK. I just do want to touch on the elections that had happened there, but also just this interesting controversy where like one of these reform candidates that maybe people thought were AI but wasn't. It's very strange and feels very much like something we are probably going to experience soon over here. So we will talk about that and plenty more, But first we must ask our guests Jesse and Holly, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are or what you're into? Right now?
Speaker 5: I'm just gonna say, because the show is like a serious scientific research project, I spend a lot of time googling Bruce Springsteen's lesbian looks. So a lot of my Google search history is like Bruce lesbian jacket, Bruce Dyke haircut.
Speaker 1: And wait so and their articles or someone is like here like here are his looks? So like when you that has SEO hits Oh I love this. Yeah, okay. When I when I searched Bruce lesbian jacket, to say Bruce Lee jacket, I'm like, no, no, no, no, we're not speaking the same.
Speaker 3: Well, I want to buy one of those Bruce Lee jackets.
Speaker 1: Hold on the yellow ones. Yeah yeah, Jesse, how about you, what's something from your search history?
Speaker 4: I have ADHD and I'm constantly in a trying to work out how to make myself interested enough to do boring things. So my most recent life hack is I basically I really don't like brushing my teeth, but I know that you have to. So now I just only ever search toss Master ten minute video and then I sit and I watch it and I fluss and.
Speaker 2: Brush my teeth.
Speaker 1: There you go, there you go, and.
Speaker 2: It really wakes. Would recommend to differend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a lot of trouble moving my body. Podcasting and working like media stuff requires a lot of sitting, and I'm like terrible at motivating myself to work out. But I've recently hit like a dark spell like in my mental health, where I realized too, like moving my body is like a great distraction and a great thing. Plus I can move my joints that are becoming so you know, calcified and hardening before my eyes. That like I just tell myself, like, rather than doing that thing where you're just gonna scroll or just like stare at something, move your body because then the knock on effect will be you will feel better. And I've only recently been able to use that effectively.
Speaker 3: Wait, is that what dancing in the darks about?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, shit exactly, just getting out of this thing? Man? Man, what what's that one layer or something about? Uh? I ain't nothing, but that's.
Speaker 2: We can relate to.
Speaker 1: That. That's how I feel a lot of the time underrated. Jesse Holly, what is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say underrated libraries. I'm a librarian and my day job and libraries are great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love library. Are you also the zine maker? I am? Yes, yes, yes. My local library recently the last few years started carrying zines, which I thought was really cool.
Speaker 2: No way, that's so cool. I wish my libraries did that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought. I thought. I was like, damn, this is dope, like like because like you see young kids just picking up these like really interesting like you know, obviously like counterculture topics that they're not going to find anywhere else in the library. But like, yeah, I was like, you know, what, respect to the zine rack that.
Speaker 3: Y'all have so cool?
Speaker 2: Doctrinate them while they're young, I love exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get off the scenes. Aren't woke?
Speaker 3: Are they? I'm going to make a conservative scene?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Can you imagine? I mean you know they're probably trying that ship like we need a conservative scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not just a god pamphlet, right, that's like just I feel like crisis is yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah yeah they make scenes. Yeah. Yeah, they really good, I mean really good paper stock they used. It's not quite that diy zine feel those genus pamphlets.
Speaker 2: The kids will see right through that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's the what's the tone of like life like for a librarian in the UK? I mean in America in certain places it's become a hellscape because you know obviously yeah, is I to her?
Speaker 5: That's just had that I saw there's something about you have to take ID now and if you're under under eighteen.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, like a recently one library like adopted this policy and yeah because this this uh state legislature bill had passed. But yeah, I'm guessing the kids have access to books in the UK.
Speaker 5: Well you say that, that's very optimistic of you. We lost something like eight hundred libraries during the Tories while they were in power. So eight hundred libraries closed in fourteen years. Wow, So no libraries and UK and a dire direstate. Wow, That's what I'm here to talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seriously, No, I mean, yeah, Jesus, that's that's eight hundred in the last eight hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I live in an area where there was a recent article that came out that said my local area has too many libraries and they might be closing more of those down. It's just absolutely insane.
Speaker 3: Too many libraries is the funniest complaint I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like when you're still like austerity brained. That's like a conclusion you come to say, well, there's too many libraries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and what does that mean? Like, how are we going to save some money? Don't worry about any other budgets out there, Just let's cut the libraries down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's always money for the military.
Speaker 1: That's right. Libraries.
Speaker 3: The prison readers have had it too good for too long.
Speaker 1: Prison We've got a prison problem. We need to just convert some of these into micro prisons. How about that? Okay, Jesse, how about you? What's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: I don't know if this.
Speaker 4: Is underrated or just has a bad rap, but I think that karaoke is really good.
Speaker 1: It is a bad rap.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's not like cool.
Speaker 4: I also think that people only think that people who are good at singing do you karaoke? And I'm here on my soapbox to say that the best karaoke is when you're really.
Speaker 2: Bad but really keen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, shouting as loud as possible to a song as like the best release of emotions ever.
Speaker 1: It is the it is slight, almost a full replace for therapy. I'd say, like, it's it's cathartic to group scream a song. Yeah, it is in this way that I can't. It's so funny that you say that. Now I'm like getting goosebumps. I'm like, yes, I was screaming under the bridge recently with a group of people and like everyone's doing the harmonies, like people were respecting the harmony. It sounded like you were singing like the Welsh national anthem, the way we have the harmonies popping and ship, and that felt like that's power, you know what I mean. Otherwise I'm a totally screaming like other songs.
Speaker 3: But I cured my PTSD when we all went bomb bomb bomb during the Caroline. Do you like karaoke, Matt? I love karaoke, But there's two types, you know. There's the one that's at the bar, and then there's the one like in Ktown they have the rooms, yeah, and it's just you and your homies and like the greatest food you've ever had, singing do host.
Speaker 2: You know, I really disagree with the rooms.
Speaker 4: I think something I love about karaoke is the vibe of the crowd and people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, getting behind you, singing love Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can only do the rooms. I feel like I'm treating it like therapy. That's that's between me and like a very small group of people.
Speaker 2: That's not for the public.
Speaker 1: I'm a rumor too, I'm a room.
Speaker 2: Oh really nice.
Speaker 1: I mean I'll get up, I'll get up. I don't I don't mind, like because you'll usually be with it. It's not like I go in like solo lone Wolf karaoke and I'm like, I only have the stage and then you know, botch my heart will go on or something.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I did him.
Speaker 4: I came to America on a solo trip, like just after COVID finished, and so I was like on my own, and I was like, what will I make myself do or make myself go to a karaoke bar alone in every city I go to And it was real fun and I made friends with people.
Speaker 1: Where'd you go? Where did you go to La? You said you were in La? I did.
Speaker 4: I was in La San Francisco, and then I flew to Winnipeg and Canada and then to New York.
Speaker 3: I remember, do you remember what karaoke bar in LA?
Speaker 4: I went to one in San Francisco that was a live piano player and then he just went up to him and You're like, here's my song and then he played it on the piano.
Speaker 1: That was pretty.
Speaker 2: It was like a plinky Plunkeys bar.
Speaker 1: But probably I love clinky Plunkies if you're a regular plinky punk It's my favorite Cilly and Murphy show. Yeah, overrated, Holly, what is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 5: I'm staying on the library theme. We have this thing in the UK. I don't know if you've got this, but we have like community libraries in phone boxes.
Speaker 1: Do you have we have like little community like they look like boxes, big birdhouses where you put whatever you want in there.
Speaker 2: Right, hate them? Hate them.
Speaker 5: They're like really really twee and quane and have that little bunting around them. And it's just an overrated book swell for like books that people don't want. So it's always just like Harry Potter and Dan Brown and crap that people want to get rid of. They're usually in towns where libraries have been axed and got rid of, but everyone's really happy to have this community library.
Speaker 2: Makes me so angry.
Speaker 3: Interesting, it's kind of like, uh, you know, it's it's the privatization of libraries. It's like if you want, if you want to check out books, you have to put them on your front lawn for everybody to take.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Kind of messed up. I never thought about it that way, but it is how I get a John Grisham.
Speaker 1: So yeah, no judgment.
Speaker 5: You know, whatever you want to read, it's absolutely fine. But that usually as well, Like in quite nice areas, you don't really get to see this kind of quent libraries in poorer areas, which I think is my beef.
Speaker 1: Right, No, I totally get that, and the yeah, the quality of the books. It definitely it feels more like a receptacle for trash that is in book form, you know, like because every time we have a couple of my neighborhood and my partner she loves to read, and so like every time it might be a book, and it's always like, man, it's all fucking mid ash trash books every time.
Speaker 3: Three Tony Robbins and a Lacroix. Yeah, why is this empty canon here?
Speaker 1: There is a full one back there behind the like libertarian literature, they have the heine Rand and shit, how about you, Jesse? What is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 4: I think that work is overrated. I don't want to spend my time stress like stressing about paying rent. I would love for us to get rid of caps.
Speaker 1: How can we do that? I think AI is probably our agrees anyone? Okay? What if we all own Tesla's and then when we're sleeping, the Tesla's make money for us by being robotaxis society has sounds full proof works. What's what? What's like the I mean we'll get to this story a little bit later, but I mean, uh, you know you've unshackled yourselves from the Tory Party after fourteen years? What is is there a feeling of buoyancy, lightness, optimism in the UK right now?
Speaker 2: Did you sign?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I know That's why. I just always want us to have perspective on how elections work and like what the real stakes are that we see I think of people very similar thinking versus what the sort of pull it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it's really tough because, yeah, I think that it would be great to be feeling happier now at the total landslide that happened, and you know, we now have a labor government, but it.
Speaker 2: Is a pretty central.
Speaker 4: I don't think that me and Holly share that much politics with this current form of labor. Sure, so in some ways it's a little bit scary because a lot of things that were happening under the Tories might still happen under a new name.
Speaker 2: And then also it might be hard.
Speaker 4: You know, there's a level of complacency, isn't there when you have what is what people say is a left wing government in power.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, exactly, it's like, let's be it's center left, let's not get ahead of ourselves at best, and our Democratic Party is like a center right it turns out, so it's all perspective. It's all perspective. Well, yeah, it's I don't know, Matt, we're gonna say something.
Speaker 3: Sorry, no, no, I was just gonna say. I still am stuck on how do you pronounce the new prime minister's name?
Speaker 1: Star it's cute.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, stormer. Does he have like personal security guards? And are they called stormtroopers?
Speaker 2: You should write to him.
Speaker 3: I saw that would get a bitter laugh than it did. Just let everyone know I.
Speaker 1: Was very proud. I was a big swing. It was a big swing.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you take a big swing on this podcast and sometimes you miss.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You just sent me like the bang bang bang emojis, Like I keep sending.
Speaker 3: You fire fire over and over again. Fire as fuck, right, dude, troopers.
Speaker 1: I saw a clip recently and I don't know if this is since I doubt it since he's become prime minister, but he was like in a locker room and like apparently this is like after playing football, and someone was like, hey, uh, Palestine man, what do you think was that? How old is that clip? And he was sort of like we need a ceasefire and they're like, well, don't you do something?
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean yeah, I mean he has cooled in the last twenty four hours, which is like truly all of us were like, don't say anything, like it wasn't expected, and so that you know, that's cool. I guess yeah, minimum, yeah, minimum.
Speaker 5: And he also sacked all the MPs that previously called for a ceasefire.
Speaker 2: So there's like he did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Jesus, there was a lot a wee page before the.
Speaker 3: I would really love to get the bare minimum though here you're really sick if we could get the bare minimum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we get the version of like when a parent is like being like nagged by a child, like yeah, uh huh uh huh just one second. Yeah, right, So now people are like.
Speaker 2: It's jettous.
Speaker 1: I know, daddy's gonna and daddy knows and daddy knows, Daddy knows and daddy knows that, and that's bad. That's bad. But we're not going to use that word today. Okay, it's a curse word. Yeah yeah, what gosh, Well, we're living off scraps, baby. You know, there's in so many.
Speaker 3: Ways we can't even get in a lie guy to be the Democratic nominee. Yes, just fully alive would be nice.
Speaker 1: I know, it's so direed man like just to look upon those what our potential future is. Anyway, let's do that off mic, so we don't bum everyone out, and we'll be right back after this and we're back and there you may hear the trash guy right now, Matt was saying, there's any trash banging again, we like to have offer full transparency when it comes to the sounds that you may be hearing as we have the show playing. But anyway, the first story I wanted to get to is is pretty big. It's it's from the quite esteemed journal, the Landset. They just published a study, like as I said at the top of the show called counting the Dead in Gaza Difficult but Essential, which estimates that the quote true death toll could reach more than one hundred and eighty six thousand people. That is obviously exponentially more than the thirty eight thousand that we hear being quoted most of the time, because of course that number doesn't take into account the quote thousands of dead buried under rubble and indirect deaths due to destruction of health facilities, food distribution systems and other public infrastructure. That figure is actually a conservative estimate, as the Lancet said, it was calculated using four indirect deaths for each direct death. But as they said in this journal piece and other other conflicts, indirect deaths range from three to fifteen times the number of direct deaths. So this is the again the conservative number, and that would amount to almost eight percent of the total population in Gaza. Right now as it stands, the CIA director Bill Burns is headed to Doha to continue cease fire talks. This feels like a headline I've read every other week when they're like they're the people are trying to appease everyone who's absolutely outraged by the situation, to put it lightly, And on Sunday, Hamas said it was waiting to hear from Israel on their latest proposal. So I'm not sure where this lands. But again, one hundred and eighty six thousand is what they are saying is a more realistic death toll given all of the infrastructure damage. And again, like the way even the media in the United States is like, oh wow, buildings are toppled in Gaza, and it's like and those are and people are inside, people inside of very important information.
Speaker 3: And it makes total sense. I mean, you know, like this this count that we've been getting, which is coming from the Gaza Health ministry, is just based on bodies that are identifiable and accounted for that have been directly killed. People have been killed by Israeli bombing and gunfire, and it makes total sense that, of course the indirect here it's going to be where a big mass of the body count is eventually going to be reported. In fact, the United Nations just now today released a press release that says UN experts declare famine has spread throughout the Gaza Strip. This is according to the United Nations Human Rights Office of the High Commissioner. And so it's like, yeah, like this, this number that keeps getting trodded out feels like it hasn't changed for a lot of people. Yeah, we're like, haven't we been saying like thirty five ish thousands since like January?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And yet every day we see more and more videos of this destruction and we're stuck on this number. And it just you know, for anyone who's been paying attention, you just sit there knowing how much worse it actually is.
Speaker 1: And it's people willing to engage with the news and not sort of look away like I think most people tend to do because it's horrifying. But again, this is these are sort of like the stakes I think that people have to understand when you look at like how a government works and what you wanted to do or not do. These are the kinds of things that factor into it. And I know, like again, like you look at the polling for the support just in America for actually having some kind of meaningful ceasefire, it's overwhelming. Yeah, And yet again, because we have a military industrial complex that needs constant feeding of funds, this is what we get. And this is like, you know, and I think a lot of there's so many it's not just even in like armed conflict. I remember even with Hurricane Maria right in Puerto Rico, there was this amount of deaths that the sort of US government was sort of like and only like if you like, maybe a couple of people died, but when you actually really look at the entirety of it, the lack of power and access to medical care and like clean water and things and what that actually did for other people, it was much higher. And I think people really need to take this to consideration, or at least I don't think anyone listening to this show is like I'm on the fence about what's happening in case.
Speaker 4: But you know, I think what you said about the military industrial complex is really important as well, because it's like I don't think it's a tool meaningful for the head of the CIA to go and quote unquote cool for a seaspire when America is selling that many arms to Israel.
Speaker 2: Right like that, do you see what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, that's your money factor in if you're well, I profit from this con ye.
Speaker 3: And he would be clear in saying, Oh, i am not calling for a ceasefire. I'm trying to broker a negotiation in which we eventually get the whole permanent seaspire taken off the table, and which is kind of where it's at right now. Yeah, that is where it's at. The proposal Hamas has actually agreed to take out the first demand of a permanent sea spire in favor of all the other demands. And it's just like, you know, we just keep going around in circles until somebody with power in the United States admit.
Speaker 1: Could that be?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that Israel is acting in bad faith at all times?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Really, well that leads us to our predicament here with the presidential race. Just just what polls are meaningless, but they're they're fun to just talk about because obviously they they never actually end up the way you hear about it.
Speaker 3: Oh, but it's like fantasy football. Let's have a good time.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a snapshot of what a couple maybe forty five people are thinking that they pulled and then extrapolated that to the entire populace. But a new poll showed that Biden is trailing Trump, but in the same amount. It's forty two to forty three percent. But because of the speculation around Biden staying in or dropping out. Their survey also looked into how other Democratic candidates would stack up in the election, including Gavin Newsom, Michigan governor Gretchen Governor Gretchen Whitmer, who both came out behind Trump. But you know who ran ahead of Trump forty two percent to forty one percent was Kamala Harris. Hey, guess what when you pair Kamala Harris with Hillary Clinton, it put Democrats quote in the strongest position, beating Trump forty three percent to forty percent. I this feels like such a funny.
Speaker 3: We're gonna lose. Let it be funny, That's what I say. Come on, oh.
Speaker 1: Man, well I mean again, Also, this feels like the absolute kind of thing where like the Polster class is like, man, just get something out there that really shows like anything. But this could work because we were cheerleading it the whole time, but now suddenly we're feeling the heat because we were the ones.
Speaker 3: That were keeping this guy here.
Speaker 5: Oh oh gosh, I honestly don't know how you're cupping because when we had our election, they have like six weeks build up to it. But you guys have like a whole year of this, don't you We.
Speaker 1: Had two years? Yeah, so much because everything is about again generating as much money as possible. If you're allowed to campaign so far out, that means everybody from the campaign, like strict Tjery, you know, industry, they start getting their checks, the polsters start getting their checks. That's like, that's what it's all about. And yeah, I mean like I wish we had like more again, like we've also deemed that corporations are people that have a legitimate voice in our election. So you know, do with that what you will. Yeah, but like you know, other countries have like you know, harder rules, like everyone has the same budget, go and you have the same amount of time go. But again, because we are that's on americocracy, built on you know, corporate kleptocracy. It's yeah, it's point difficult. Unfortunately, how do you guys do it? You guys have one of them parliaments? Is that right? I used to do drugs out of those Yeah yeah, cigarette never mind, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: It's not like the cocaine cigarette.
Speaker 1: No, but yeah, I mean, how how what is like sort of the your election season? Like what is yeah? How like how quickly does it sort of explode and then fade away? Because we're slowly being boiled over here.
Speaker 5: It's like six weeks they announce the election, You've got six weeks to prepare. But obviously, the way things have been going to, everyone's knew that an election was coming up anyway. So I thinks I've been moving around and it's just NonStop debates, waterwall pols, news headlines. But six weeks of that feels more bearable than a whole year, two year cycle of that that's just non stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Well, I mean we have a huge chunk of our economy is election money. So you know, true, you have to keep into account that if you shorten elections, you know what are Pundit's going to do for the rest of the four years.
Speaker 1: You know, what are they going to talk about? Sports policy?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 5: Well, if Biden doesn't win. Then you can always start a really blanned podcast with Bruce Springsteen when he comes out of office.
Speaker 1: Yeah together, Yeah right. Oh gosh, that was a wild one, wasn't it did.
Speaker 2: I like to think that doesn't exist. I wiped it for my brain.
Speaker 1: What did you make of that? As Boss fans?
Speaker 2: I have not listened to it.
Speaker 1: Can't you even bring yourself to listen to that? Well?
Speaker 5: We had to listen to it for research purposes. I was looking for a quote and I had to say three ten minutes of it and the most insipid liberal nonsense.
Speaker 2: It's just nothing.
Speaker 5: It's just no one's saying anything on that podcast. No one is saying anything.
Speaker 1: Right, right, right, Yeah, that's the and that's the thing about that.
Speaker 3: Uh huh. And I want to I want to listen to this and just tune out.
Speaker 1: I want to. I want to listen to it and stare at a blank wall for a while.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, yeah, sleep gently.
Speaker 1: This is like I think this is what's so wild too, because I hear from older people too. They're like, I mean, you guys gotta fit, you know, you gotta stay, you gotta get in line, you know, and and support like that. This candidate. And there's there's a huge dimension that is always missing from the discourse around how younger people look at a presidential candidate these days is we have had like back to back to back economic like souplexus that broke our fucking and souls, and when we look at only increasing inequality, we're becoming so much more aware of the prison industrial complex, over policing, the mismanagement of funds and where they go and who it supports. That everyone is now being like, the status quo is fucking violence. Like people don't understand that. That's like, that's my default position. The status quo is violence. And I know that for a you know, a very fortunate few, life is very peaceful and you have no existential threats to your personhood or anything like that, but for many other people that is not the case. And like to not acknowledge that sort of like anger, frustration, fear that exists and just be like, well, you know, we just got just just to figure it out, don't worry about all these other things you guys are crowing about, just get behind the candidate. It's such a fucking slap in the face. And I wish like there's a way that, like, I mean, you know, at the very again the bare minimum, right, could be the Biden campaign being like, look, this isn't a great fucking deal here, and we understand that a lot of shit can be better. We can you know, maybe we can try to do some stuff, but trying like it's nothing like that. It's just being beat over the head with like, well then you want fascism, No, we fucking don't. That's why so many people in their communities do what they have to do to fight that off.
Speaker 3: Kind of seems like you guys want fascism, being that you are willing to just lose an election to Trump because all of you are too afraid to put your own careers on the line well and back a different candidate.
Speaker 5: You know, it sounds very so much to what we just had in the UK as well. I think everyone was I think the last six weeks had just been feeling so guilty that we don't vote labor, then we're voting in fascism. But right that it's like saying that people say, isn't It's like you're voting the lesser of two evils, but forgetting you're still voting for evil at the end, of the day. Like, it's not you're not voting with herp in your heart. You're not voting with an actual choice. You're voting because it's slightly less fascist than the big fascist. But yeah, when labor on actually offering an alternative or opposition, then that just allows fascism to grow even more. So what is the point in that, right?
Speaker 2: Yea, And that's what's so exciting.
Speaker 4: I know we can talk about it more later, but that's what's so exciting about the election results in France is that it was like a left wing, a genuinely left wing coalition that like surpassed the two party system. And that's a really really exciting thing that you can actually vote for something that you do believe in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the videos of all the right wing French people like studying for the returns to come warming absolutely ashen faced. I was like, oh my god, Yeah, this is what I have to hold on to as my country falls apart, and so be it. At least I had that. But yeah, I mean, like that's the thing we we understand, many people understand the stakes. No, I'm not voting for Donald Trump. I'm not going to ever support him or his or his candidacy. But unfortunately, I'm like, well, the only other option is this other thing. But I, as a voter, feel completely unheard on so many other issues. That's where my resentment comes in as a voter, because I'm like, you guys fucking wore Kinte Claudes in the capitol talking about you were going to do something about over policing and white supremacy. You've made all these fucking noises about the pandemic and people's safety, and then there's like all the fucking safety measures got pulled out from under people you're talking about. There's so many things on the agenda, and I get that there are other things that happen, but there are a lot of voters who are like come from these marginalized groups, or people are just looking at their own situation and say the status quo like will actually be the end of me? Like if things keep going as it is, this will be the end of me. So I need to hear something different, And a lot of people resent the fact that the only thing they're hearing is well, you better get or you want fascism. It's that that's so fucked up, Like you have to acknowledge what people are going through. And it doesn't mean you're conceding the election by acknowledging these things. But this is and I think this is a situation where I think Americans have become so used to being like, well, I have to vote for the Democrat because that as a binary, yeah, that's the better decision. But they're also for the status quo, which still means death, which means violence, which means inequality, and that is like the biggest things we're trying to contend with. So anyway things are going right over here? How do you just get that off my chest. It's just very it's just a difficult time.
Speaker 4: And it's just not a choice, is it, As you say, like, that's just not no, that's like, yeah, no one has any agency there.
Speaker 1: The other way too, I look at it is like to be more involved in local politics and more things involved with your community. Guess what that the gains that you can make would look easier if the Democrats kept the White House versus the Republicans taking the White House, and then what that means like just downwardly just in terms of an overall policy. But even then it's like that's that's the most like some people can like latch on just like well, at least it won't be worse. And I think that's just such a different beats like positioned to be trying to to change the country from that. Yeah, it's it's a it's a huge issue. It's a huge issue, and I really wish that, I really wish our capitalist overlords would take the ills of capitalism seriously.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe if we ask them nicely they will.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, there's like it's a tough one as well, isn't it. Like I don't I don't know about the US and the UK, there have been some studies that show, like, you know, big lobbying organizations and places like that like do a lot less under a labor government than under a Tory government, even if similar things are happening, because there's this like perception that's senter left is like safer and better. So it's like a it's a hard balance I think with that as well, where you're like, no, we actually still need to like really keep mobilizing and yeah, taking to the streets and.
Speaker 2: Doing all the things that we were doing under the tour.
Speaker 1: Yes, because I'm I'm under not I don't think anyone's under the impression it's like it's it's going to be a top down solution here. It's like, no, that's why you have to pour into things like locally, because that that's your immediate environment. Joe Biden doesn't give a fuck about North Hollywood or the San Fernanda, doesn't give a fuck unless he has a fundraiser there. But like the people that do, those are the people you live with, and those are the people that you need to have the bonds with to you know, resist any kind of real bullshit, like you know, totally like federally organized bullshit that might be in our future anyway. So uh, let's move on to flirting good exact and you know what that guy does. We like to violent, jarring fucking transitions. Baby. But anyway, ten Z, look, I'm glad, like millennials, we are officially washed and have become the hollowed out husks of what was once considered cool. Gen Z now has the mantle and now y'all are the generation that is killing an industry or destroying this custom whatever the fuck used to say about us. The latest body that gen Z caught now is that they've fucking it's the end of flirting. They have killed flirting. I really want to read this New York Post opening paragraph because the New York coorts post very conservative, really fucking stupid, and this is how they This is like their sort of vibe and talking about a gen Z killed flirting quote. Liking an Instagram story or sliding into someone's dms are ways to express romantic interest in the digital age, but technology may actually have made it harder for singles trying to score a date. Gen z ors especially struggle to master the art of flirting in an era of social media and dating apps. Quote. I think flirting is dying. Los Angeles resident Nikki san Janco's twenty four told NBC if someone thinks you're cute, they just ask you for your Instagram these days and then DM you or swipe up on your story to show they're interested. The state of dating today has been described as exhausting, as women online lament the nightmares difficulties of trying to find a man night marriage bro.
Speaker 3: It's like Freddy Krueger up in my dms?
Speaker 1: What the fuck is this? Like eighties rom com narrator version of society. It's like Kathy's just a woman trying to find a man. Yeah, Like the article mostly bashes gen Z like sort of painting them. It's like just super awkward and so online, Like they don't know how to even talk to another person. And I get the social anxiety part, like we even it's as millennials, we also have that. Yeah, but like buried in this bullshit is like a line about how younger people are opting to try and just date in person since apps are so shit, and that's I'm like, oh, there's there's the nugget there that you want to kind of pull out what they're doing, is there? It sounds like maybe they're moving towards something a little less like koy and superficial.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the author of this is mad that people don't send dick pics anymore. Like that's what it sounds like. It's like they haven't they've lost how to do the art of flirting. AKA when I send a picture of me touching my balls and I go, do you like? And then they don't respawn.
Speaker 1: And then like and then the local police constables knocking on my door. I don't mind any of this, Like, yeah, it's also just sort of like because I feel like in the eighties and nineties, Like my brain was absolutely poisoned by eighties and nineties media that did not actually show how human beings interacted in a romantic capacity like I was. I was truly like, bro, you will die alone if you don't have the smooth pickup line. I don't know how to. I remember being obsessed with fucking winking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you have to learn how to wink good.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was what was your smooth pickup line?
Speaker 1: I didn't have one. I was so fucking I was like at Luckily, by the time I got to like high school, my whole thing was just being funny and outgoing, and I realized that was like that'll that'll bring the that'll bring the boys to the yard. As Calice said, you know what I mean my sense of humor. But yeah, I never I mean, like I would say stuff corny. The one thing I did like in the digital phone age is if I saw, like somebody I was attracted to, like trying to take a photo, I'll be like, oh, let me take a picture. Let me let me take that picture for you, and then I will put it on selfie mode and I would take a selfie of me. I still do.
Speaker 4: That I don't know if actually maybe I won't say his name, but there's like a pretty famous, like celebrity pundit man who I went saw at a conference and I was celebrity.
Speaker 3: He's giving you opinions away.
Speaker 4: He's like, then, like he's roughly the same age as me, and like we probably share friends.
Speaker 2: He's like in the same social circles. But I was like, no, you know, I had a couple of drinks, so I wasn't my best self. And he gave me his phone to take a picture of him and all of his mates, and I.
Speaker 4: Truly just took so many pictures of myself, and then he gave it back to me to do it again because he was annoyed, and then I did it again.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I really really haven't grown up that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like at that point, it's not even flirting. It's just it's just hilarious spite and inside yourself.
Speaker 1: Ye hold it, you guys are nailing it. Keep doing that, keep doing that, you keep your legging your lego uh.
Speaker 3: Again, keeps giving it back to you, like do it better. You're like, okay, now I'm just gonna tweet some ship.
Speaker 1: The funny part is like even though I would do ship like that, they would be like oh ha haha, Like I had no way to transition from that. Yeah, I'd be like, yeah, all right, I gotta go, and I'm like, fuck, that was so fucking anxiety to do.
Speaker 3: So I did step one, but I forgot there's more steps after.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was just like, did that part be a little be a little cutesy with him, the talking part, because it was it looked like weird. I remember, like, you can never be like I like you. They wouldn't even fucking murderer. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And I get pretty happy that gen Z have killed flooding then, because all of this stuff just feels like harassment. It just feels like a waste of everyone's time. I'm very happy if I get a nice TM or a heart on something it can help us.
Speaker 1: I like that exactly. I think, like I said, kill flirting because I didn't know how to do it and he didn't do anything for fucking me. But after going to therapy, guess what, Voicing my needs and being straightforward with people actually has done a lot for me. And if that's how we communicate, that would actually I think it's better for us in the long run, rather than being so fucking coy. It's like exhausting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got to learn to flirt with yourself, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Thank you, dude.
Speaker 3: That's the most healthy way of doing it. I didn't have pickup lines growing up. I think I had a long obsession with I have to get a dog because someone years ago told me that's the best way to pick up chicks quote unquote. And then eventually I forgot that's why I wanted a dog, and I just became dog obsessed and I was like, I can't get a girlfriend until I get a dog.
Speaker 1: Then I was like, I just have to get a dog.
Speaker 3: Look, yeah, now I just love dogs.
Speaker 1: Do you have a dog? No? Oh man, I already have a wife, but you have family. So yeah, in a way, you made good. You made good. I made good. Yeah yeah, yeah, okay, amazing. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll come right back to discuss just the Reform Party in the UK. Just are they up to tricks? Are they not? I don't know, but it's a lot of weird shit and I want to talk about it with y'all after this and we're back and you know, while those of us here in the United States were just queuing up the burgers and dogs and you know, setting off Diablo fireworks that were basically military great explosives. Two big elections happened in Europe. In France, uh Marie la Penn dude, that far right National Rally Party came in third place. Oh and the looks on their faces, looking at like spank passes when they were like it was a while watching people process like the results, or they're like, wait, so worth, we're lave, We're last? Is there another? Is there oliby an update? And it looked like some people, some people had been in politics long enough you be like, all right, we're cooked. And other people were like is the I'm sorry, I'm new. I just I'm new to xenophobia. Can I speak? Yeah? No, no, get this off, change the channel, where's the right one?
Speaker 3: And then or whatever they say.
Speaker 1: But in the UK, the center left Labor Party toppled the Conservatives, the Tories who have been in power for fourteen years. But also it wasn't all good news. Uh. Nigel Farage's Reform UK Party won five seats in parliament, including one for Farage who this dude has been taking NonStop l's for a while, and I was like, he's not, Oh he's oh he got a seat, okay, oh okay, but yeah, they only had five seats, scored five seats. Again, apparently Reform garnered fourteen percent of the popular vote, which is that's that's too big. Yeah, But here's this is where things got like a little weird or interesting, right, So, like right after the election, people were asking, like, you know, the Reform UK party, like what's going on, Like, what's what's going on with like some of these candidates, Like are you running actual human beings? Like are these real people? Because some of the people on the on the website are just like names and like a constituency and not much else, no photos, no biographies or things like that. And you know, the Liberal Democrats then called on Reform to provide details about these mysterious candidates, and that's when they sort of conceded. Look like a lot of these were like what they call paper candidates to just help increase the party's vote share, so even if a candidate had no chance of winning, they still got some votes, boosting the overall popular vote and giving the party a cent of legitimacy, although a bit inflated.
Speaker 3: Can you explain what a paper candidate is? Though it's still a real person, right.
Speaker 5: It's there, a real person, but it's usually someone who's not based in that constituency.
Speaker 2: So they're just.
Speaker 5: They're from a different town completely, you have no connection to them, but they'll end up on your ballot paper.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Then just do they know that they're running?
Speaker 2: They usually do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think they've got heads up that they're running. But people in that town have no idea who they are. They haven't seen them before, they don't turn up for debates and things like.
Speaker 1: That, right, and so, and they're allowed like I mean, they call them carpetbaggers in the US, and you're an out of town or running all of a sudden. But again, this is just merely for the thing of like, well, if we put somebody on the ballot from that party, we can get a little bit of votes, and then that helps overall to kind of be like, yeah, look, we're here, we're here. Yeah. So one of the concerns that people had this is where it gets so stupid and AI begins to intersect with all of this, is there was like one of the candidates. They're like, is this a real person or a photo? Mister Mark Mattlocke, Yeah, because not a real guy.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: It seems like an AI generated conservative.
Speaker 3: AI generated attorney.
Speaker 1: Yeah this is Mark Spencer. You're like, hold on, dude, what do you do? But because the photos he didn't like, he didn't appear in person at the vote count on election night, possibly because maybe he's just a hallucination of AI. He looks like, I feel like one of William and Kate's children grown up.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, it looks like the Milky bar kid grown up.
Speaker 1: Oh who's the milky bar kid?
Speaker 2: Now, maybe that's a British thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a British candy bar. And it's like a little kid with blonde hair and glasses and blue eyes.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Is it like a milky way or is just.
Speaker 5: Milky just milky? Yeah, it's just milky.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I gotta find this milklky bar.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: Get that's him, milky bar guy, all growns up and running for parliament. So the picture I like, even yeah, looking at it, you're like this like, he looks like he has rubber face.
Speaker 3: Is as like.
Speaker 2: A real Uncanny Valley appearance to.
Speaker 1: Yeah one hundred percent, and then Matt Locke responded by claiming that he wasn't at the vote count because he was at a hospital with pneumonia. This is what he posted on exactly, I had pneumonia in my human lungs, you know, so.
Speaker 3: Just side note, please don't be offended. But that's the only British accent I could do.
Speaker 1: It's you're like a You're like a guy who didn't get cast as an orc in Lord of the Rings. Like, I don't know that guy's doing too much for the boys all that. I think that's the one scene Americans really glom onto when the orcs are talking about not eating.
Speaker 3: Right because we all have meat and it's back on the menu.
Speaker 5: I said that quote every single day to really my favorite quot.
Speaker 1: Exactly everything to eat in, free, stink and die.
Speaker 5: It's all going, keep it going, accepted editions, Let's do it.
Speaker 1: You are not for eating about their legs? Are you fresh teeth? Oh my god? So Mark Mattlocke, the real guy. He clarified on Twitter what was going on quote. Unfortunately, I will not be attending the count tonight as I have pneumonia. The hospital I visited was closed before it's closing time. I said to the nurse on a buzzer, I am struggling to breathe, and she said, call a number, vote reform. This is madness. This is like a fake anecdote to just be like a last minute rally cry for votes. What can you break down for me? What the fuck? He was even trying to say here, I don't know that it is confusing to everyone.
Speaker 5: So the hospital was closed before he before he got there.
Speaker 1: That like a dig at the NHS or something.
Speaker 5: I think it's fat enough to say that, Yeah, I think he's.
Speaker 1: Gonna yeah, he.
Speaker 2: Is not real.
Speaker 3: It's very clear that this is someone who this is like an AI going what's the most like human disease I can have? And it's like, oh, pneumonia, because you need to breathe to have pneumonia.
Speaker 1: Well, like so what the other thing is interesting too, because like this felt felt like a very like gork or whatever. The fucking Twitter AI chat right right yes, where people like kept casting aspersions on whether or not he was real. He responded to one of the people on Twitter said, quote, keep smoking the crack pipe and wondering what sexuality you are, which feels like such a rock or gork fucking thing like Elon musk brained, like yeah, transphobic, fucking drug abuse or whatever the fuck.
Speaker 3: To be honest, this picture this candidate Mark Matlock. The picture looks kind of like an AI version.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have Elon's eyes yeah and jowls. Yeah. Well, he turns out, at least according to The Guardian, I guess, well, we'll believe what they have to say. It turns out he is a real person. But the photo was AI generated, he said, because according to him, he wanted a photo where he was wearing a light blue tie to reflect the party's color. But that's what potographer. Yeah, he couldn't get a photographer on time.
Speaker 3: Literally, his eyes are two different colors in this photo.
Speaker 1: Zoom in. Oh well yeah it is a gradient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we see the color of his tie in the No.
Speaker 1: I feel a little bit of big everyone, you know, like he did his best. But I'm guessing in England it is accepted that Mark Mattlocke is in fact a person. We've we've closed that chapter.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think it raises some questions because I think there's a lot of reform candidates that people just didn't see or know about, and it's a bit worrying that they got as many votes.
Speaker 2: As they did.
Speaker 5: But I'm not convinced this guy is real. I'm not convinced any of them are real.
Speaker 3: Well, it kind of like begs a wider question, which is like our fascists human and to be honest, well tell.
Speaker 1: Oh, well we'll end it on that note. Holly Jesse, thank you so much for joining us on the Daily zite Geist. Where can the people find you? Follow you, listen to your wonderful podcast.
Speaker 5: They can find us on any podcast platform where everywhere at the moment. New episodes come out every Tuesday, and you can find us best on social media. I'm at Holly Cassio on most things, and Jesse, I'm at Jesse, j E s s E lou l o U Lawson. And just to say the name of a podcast again, it's long. It's because the bus belongs to us.
Speaker 1: Oh I may have not even said that fully at the top of the show, and I apologize, yes.
Speaker 2: You did, just because people.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it's it's been a long week. Just started exercising and it's taking up all my blood. Flow good for you. Is there a tweet that you all are liking, or another work of media, social or otherwise that you want to share with the class.
Speaker 5: I was actually going to say, I've really just been enjoying the videos of the right wing party in France losing. I've been watching that video every single day this week and it's just given me so much joy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's about like three different ones as I found, like, they're all they all have their.
Speaker 5: I'm watching a montage of all of them at the moment. It's on TikTok and I just it's just it's just so love.
Speaker 1: Watching the light go out of their little eyes. Ye's dolls, Jesse, how about you?
Speaker 2: Am I allowed to say a film? Does that count as absolutely?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: I was just gonna in just a slightly cheesy way because it was it's just finished being five months. There is a film about a bit of British history that's called The film is called Pride, and it's about lesbians and gay support the miners, which is an activist group that formed in the eighties. There was like a really long there's a year long miners strike in the nineteen eighties and yeah, this group of queer people from London were like, oh, like the same police, the same government, the same conservative attitudes are oppressing the miners as are pressing us. And they did this thing up Quis Solidarity where they raised money for this mining reviligi in Whales and if people, which it sounds like they are, are feeling depressed about politics and feeling powerless. It's a really nice film to watch to like give you hope.
Speaker 1: Basically I need some of that. Yeah, I mean, look we got us. That's the mantra basically till the very end. Matt again, thank you for joining me today. Where do the people find as you follow you, what's a tweet or other piece of media that you're vided with?
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me and you can follow me on Instagram at Matt Leave Jokes and listen to my podcast Bat Hasbara, the World's most moral podcast. It's about Israeli propaganda And a tweet that I've been loving is an image that Lauren Mackenzie at The Mackenzieist posted recently. It's the distracted boyfriend meme, but instead of the the boyfriend is a tongue next to him. His girlfriend is a vagina, but he's looking at a butthole that's walking. It's a beautiful drawing and I just, I don't know, just touched the spot in my.
Speaker 1: Heart like I thought it.
Speaker 3: It's just a very distracted boyfriend tongue looking at a buttons.
Speaker 1: Like that, And that's all I ever wanted. I'll ever need it. It's here in my arms, me me for real. Some tweets, I like, I don't know if y'all caught the fucking Miami vice discourse on Twitter. That's the whole thing. But someone just posted this like video on TikTok because someone was talking about the Michael Man Miami Vice video. Someone on TikTok posted this is from the TikTok user is at Cooper Flew the Coop and it says the masculine urge to look around stoically in a nightclub like you're in a Michael Man film, like I have fun. I neat fun right now.
Speaker 2: That is gen Z flirting right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. Sigma Ship hell yeah. And another two that like at alone in a boy band tweeted this fucking remix. It says not like Us by Kendrick Lamar, but it's goth and it's fucking where do we get the ship going to sale black one to them and then love just make sure you have a little sister from Oh my God, get.
Speaker 6: You honey down plan who Okay, y'all get get that ship in your fucking body too, because that shit fucking bags That is really cool.
Speaker 1: I gotta say that, that's a fucking perfect aesthetic. Anyway. You can find me at Miles of Gray on Twitter and Instagram. You can find Jack and I on our basketball podcast Miles with Jack Coot Mad Boosties. You can find me talking about ninety day Fiance on my other show for twenty Day Fiance and yeah what I said. Oh. Follow us at Daily Zeitgeist on Twitter, at the Daily zeit Geist on Instagram. We got a Facebook fan page on a website, daily zeit geys dot com. Whey post our episodes in our footnotes. You go where you can find all the articles we talked about, links to the shows, the podcast, and more most importantly, the song We're Gonna Ride out on And I had a song I was singing, but ever since I saw this sweet you just go to at a loan in a boy band on Twitter. We'll have the link in the footnotes, but this not like, but goth just goes so fucking hard, so we will put that there for y'all. Okay, that's gonna do it for us. The Daily sit Gas is a production of My Heart Radio. So for more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit I Heart the Radio app. Yeah, that part an Apple Podcasts wherever you find your other podcast for free. All right, we'll be back later, tell you what's trending. Until then, bye bye bye bye bye.