Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbal I'll that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 1: You want to be happy for day Ado State? Is that? Whoo whoom? And Dan and Tye welcome back to the Solid Verbo boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrand, joining me over there in New York City, My man, the one and only Dan Rubenstein. Sir, how are you? Ty?
Speaker 2: I have a proposal, and I didn't run this by you beforehand because I'm fifty percent owner of Solid Verbal Media LLC.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yes, I believe that's correct.
Speaker 2: Okay, fifty percent, And so I would like to offer, not necessarily and I do have a Saturday nickname, but not necessarily that I want to. I want to propose a general theme for a show this important, in which we preview Championship weekend. Okay, my thematic proposal is cleanliness.
Speaker 1: Cleanliness, cle Darryl Saturday.
Speaker 2: And you can probably already hear in my voice, but I just got out of the shower, okay, and I feel great. And that's where I think, Tie, that's where I washed just not just my body.
Speaker 1: But also my mind.
Speaker 2: Sure clans where I really yes, sure, And so that to me is going to be at least my half of the show in terms of theme cleanliness, what are teams doing, what are teams not doing? And I just for a show this special, I feel like we have to really focus on where we want to go. And I also do have a Saturday nickname proposal, but we can get into that in a moment. But I just wanted to put that into your mind and into listeners' minds right off the top, because also, it's a December to remember.
Speaker 1: Tie, It's always a December to remember. Very soothing to play that background track here as we get into the month of December. Now, of course we're talking about all things Conference championships. Yeah, yeah, that's what we got going on this weekend. We've got ten of them that we're going to go through, some a little bit more deeply than others. But a last we've got Power five Games. We've got a group of five games. Thank you for coming back to the show, for downloading, and for embarking on this one final weekly preview show for the twenty nineteen season. Can you believe it? Oh my god?
Speaker 2: So the final one this season actually flew by some seasons crawl. This one was a flyer, and it's a bit of a bummer to me because we had some really fun weeks.
Speaker 1: We had some really fun weeks.
Speaker 2: And now ahead of what shampoo Saturday, she watched away the Pretenders.
Speaker 1: No, that's not where I'm going with it. Thank you for downloading, Thank you for subscribing if you haven't already. As we said time and again, we will be with you all throughout the calendar, even if football is not in season, So hit the subscribe button on whatever podcasting app you prefer. You can also go on out to our website at soliverble dot com and find all of our old stuff as you are watching the conference championship games this weekend. One final time for the Reverb line this year, maybe we'll open up for the national championship. But four oh eight Verbal one. It's four oh eight eight three seven two two five one, or the reverb line at gmail dot com. If you want to do one of those voice memos on your phone and then email it into us. The email address for that again is the Reverbline at gmail dot com or four w eight Verbal one if you want to get in on the reverbs or boy, Ryan will mix those up. We will put them together when we do our Sunday recap episode. And finally, if you don't follow us on social, go out and do that or check out the subreddit at soliverbal dot reddit dot com, Dan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where people weigh in on college football topics, on me coaching Miszoo football, on their thoughts about our advertising partners. All sorts of fun things can be found at solidverbal dot reddit dot com.
Speaker 1: Did I get that address? Correct? You got it? You got nice? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he nailed everything, and we should probably start talking about branding the weekend, start talking about our thoughts. I know you wanted to break down you specifically earmarked your UAB linebacker depth thoughts.
Speaker 1: I'm ready for everything. Well, let's start here. Okay. I'm not going to yell breaking news in that high pitched tone that I normally do because say it in German if you mean it, I'm not going to go there because I want to try and preserve these pipes. I'm excited for the show. If it is our final weekly preview show of the calendar year, I need to bring it for the full sixty minutes. That is true. Let's start here. Clay Helton reportedly, according to our friend Bruce Felman from The Athletic in Fox Sports, he will be retained. He is staying at USC, which comes, as I guess, a bit of a surprise, you know, eight and four. I think it's the final tality for USC. We talked before the sea in that nine wins maybe was the cutoff. But it seems to be a situation, if I have read the tea leaves correctly, where USC was looking around, they were setting their sites very high on Urban Meyer, on guys like Bob Stoops. Clearly, if they could have gotten one of those guys, Clayhelton would no longer be the coach. But it seems as if the top rung guys that they may have pursued were not available, slash, not interested, and rather than make a change and go to someone else that they were unsure of, they decided that they would stick with Clay Hilton.
Speaker 2: Right when So who knows because nothing official has come out that is, I mean, what the quote is that Bruce said was what that they're leaning or that's he's reportedly that's going in that direction. So there's nothing absolute. There's no release from USC. Which is also a weird thing to release. Right, You're like, yeah, so our coach is still the coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like when they pick a pope and nope, they're still in conclave, right exactly. So there is no thing, I guess an official from the school. And there was rumors of, you know, the always fun coaching search season emergency meeting. We are going to be monitoring at least during this show. Oh yes, perfect, whether or not there is an actual emergency meeting and what comes of it. They're obviously a lot of things to go around, blame wise with USC in terms of recruiting has fallen off. That's not great. Attendance has fallen off, defense at times has fallen off in big games. They have aspirations of being a double digit win team year in and year out, and I think that's pretty reasonable. I you know, I don't know what can be done in terms off It's a it's a money thing, is why they're retaining Clay Helton. The continuity thing, a maturity at the top thing, which they haven't always had. I get all of those reasons, but if you can't find a guy who you definitely think is better, it's a tough spot. I don't envy the USC administration, and I certainly don't envy and I absolutely relate to frustrated USC fans who think that should be rooting for a better team. So tough situation. I don't know who they can get if they do move on from Helton. But in like, I don't know if you fire Clancy Pendergast and try to start over there, I don't know how you retain Graham Harrell if Texas is coming hard after him and he's from the state. So it's a pretty topsy turvy situation. And I tweeted this last night. I just love USC coaching mill rumor season. It's just it's delightful.
Speaker 2: It's great because there are so many there's so much misinformation out there, but I just I like bathing in all of it as a college football fan. So hopefully everything gets squared away to everybody's liking eventually, because USC being good tends to be good for the sport. But yeah, nothing absolute at the time, we're recording.
Speaker 1: Nothing. At time of recording, this show drops six am Eastern Time on Thursday morning, which means by about ten thirty we're gonna find out that he got fired. Yeah, h of course that's okay, because we'll do a show and talk about our thoughts about you know, why they moved on and what we think Jack del Rio can do in LA Also exactly pertinent response type topic. So if you get any updates on that super secret emergency meeting, yeah, I'll break in and we'll we'll play a real talk sound okay, okay? Yes. Elsewhere, the recently fired Willly Taggart is apparently mixing it up with USF, a former suitor. The quote here that I've got on my sheet is I've learned representatives of USF have been in contact with former Bulls coach Willy Taggart regarding his old job. Taggart badly wants a second act in Tampa, willing to commit in writing that he's in it for the long haul.
Speaker 2: I think it's the Tampa Bay Times deserves the credit for that report, and I suppose it makes sense. Sometimes coming home is the best move after all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And by the way, you can set your way to the tweet welcome home, oh coach reader, the Greg Shanna, welcome home to Rutgers, Welcome home Mac Brown, North Carolina.
Speaker 1: I made that joke on the Fantasy Thing show Scott Frost right, Welcome Home. The Welcome Home Thing is a personal favorite.
Speaker 2: Willie Taggart certainly had USF peaking as a double digit win team before he left for Oregon, so perhaps it makes sense and he would just be happy to have a head coaching job at least in a pretty big conference. So good for there. Willie Fritz another Willy and head coaching rumors speaking with both Arkansas and MISSOO about their openings. I just saw Mike Bobo. They were very careful about the way they described it was a mutual separation, like the Gwyneth Paltrow Chris Martin well conscious decoupling. That was a conscious So Mike Bobo and Colorado State have consciously decoupled, and so Colorado State will now be in the market, joining UNLV in the in the Mountain West. We've had some draft declarations. TI, Oh, it's that season and I don't know if you have Mike Bobo thoughts. I apologize for skimming over that.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: No, ygm very terrifically talented pass rusher for Penn State. Isaiah Hodgens Oregon State receiver JJ Taylor at Arizona. This small, little, very quick back Leavis.
Speaker 1: Skty let me Scottiska for Colorado.
Speaker 2: The crazy talented receiver, Anthony McFarland, Jalen Reger, and Big albert O are the headliners at the time we're recording this. Do you have any thoughts about any of those early declarations and if any of them are dramatic losses for those teams?
Speaker 1: And we have confirmed that Anthony McFarlane is not Booger's son, correct confirmed confirmed confirmed? Okay, No, I mean I figured ye, Tor gross Matos would go pro for Penn State, and Laviskus Channault figures to be a first round talent. Real curious to see about a guy like Jalen Reger mm HM, who we've been really high on. And Anthony McFarland. You know, he bursts onto the scene and has I think been pretty good in his short time Maryland. So curious to see what the next level may have in store for him.
Speaker 2: Ran all over Ohio State last year and then otherwise. Felipe Franks I think we talked about maybe we didn't is exploring his options both in the transfer portal and his draft options.
Speaker 1: I think does he have draft options you think.
Speaker 2: It's It appears to be a pretty good draft year for quarterbacks, so I don't know if it looks great in that arena. Also, Jake Bentley staying in the SEC East. He has declared his intention at least has entered the transfer portals. He's looking around to see what's out there in terms of quarterback needs. I don't know if there's any other administrative things to hit on. I'm monitoring the Clay Helton Twitter search. Nothing's really popping up at the moment.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got the soundarady, let me know.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing right now, a fake Missoo account is tweeting do you want to know what the fake Mizoo coach?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: I think the redditsb Twitter account fell for it. So Miszoo Football probably with eyes for L's Jim McLane is the fake thirty third head coach at Miszoo.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Got to click the links, people, You gotta click the links. All right, Well, that's it, keep us posting what's going on out there in the Twitter sphere. Dan, Let's get the games, Damne. It is conference championship week. We got a bunch of games here that we want to get through. Have you given much thought to how we are branding our final Saturday court. Do you want to do this or do you want to do a window of Opportunity first? I want to do this because I need more time to think about the week opportunity. That's okay, that's okay.
Speaker 2: So obviously, if I'm going with a theme of cleanliness, I think it's both of cleanliness of body, of mind of attitude, which I guess fits in with mind. And I'm probably going to offend people by saying that, because clely, this of mind is a kind of a loaded phrasing. Sure, but there is a chemical tie that your nerve cells produce that regulates so much in your body. And whyline dot com lie to me, this is magic school bus going inside the body. Right here we are We absolutely are so just in talking about reducing depression, regulating anxiety, healing wounds, stimulating nausea, Serotonin Saturday sarahtone in Saturday Tie maintains your bone health. I'm talking about people getting good night's sleep. Serotonin affects that diet. Serotonin affects that libido. How aroused are you to run that extra yard tie push forward?
Speaker 1: Uh? See, people take don't people take serotonin to go to sleep. I think you're thinking of melody. Oh that's melatonin, yeah, melot yes, correctly, yeah, Okay. It can help in your your deuces tie, it can help with your sleep, your blood clotting, your bone health. Because everything needs to come together. And I'm even talking about for Clemson, who is what a twenty eight point favorite? You know, I still think there's a there's a certain part of Clemson that if they're going to separate themselves from I think we can agree.
Speaker 2: Pretty decent Virginia team. Sure, it's all got to come together. And if everything's coming together, you gotta have saratonin at the wheel.
Speaker 1: Not a sponsor, not a sponsor. No, I have that your nerve cells produced, not a sponsor. I have Savor the flavor Saturday. Okay. Being so it's our final Saturday, and it's pretty good after this. I mean, you have Bowl games, you'll playoffs and all that, but it sort of won't be the same for a full eight or nine months. I've got shock Me Saturday, Oh, which is you know, I'm not trying to be like sadistic here, but shock Me Saturday. I'm looking at these games and I'm trying to figure out, Okay, are there any shockers out there? Are there any games? As a college football fan, as someone who has long been a proponent of as much chaos as possible, I need that. I need that shocker.
Speaker 2: I don't see any game, and I'm including every single FBS conference. Do you see any game in which there is a spread of five or fewer points? No, Chicago Chain super Dog Saturday, because we could lean into the yakos and just give regional hot dog places shout outs super Dog Saturday. Super Dog is not the superdog. I'm gonna roll with Serotonin Saturday. You can do what you want.
Speaker 1: The only other one that I had here was Selena Saturday, and that's because I sent you with Selena Gomez YouTube clip before we connect it up here. But I don't know if that one really applies in the way of shock me Saturday. Right.
Speaker 2: Also, again, I want to clarify because I am a very stupid person. Serotonin, uh is a good thing, it seems. And when I say cleanless cleanliness of mind, if you're a little off in your mind, that's cool, doesn't mean you're unclean. I just am reading from healthline dot.
Speaker 1: Com, all right, fair enough important disclaimer. Thank you, okay, thank you for getting that in there. Yeah, window of opportunity last one before the whole damn thing is a window of opportunity. Yes, I don't really know how I feel about this. I am looking at some of these games here, and I'm feeling an awful lot like the weakest link is probably the Virginia Clemson game. The problem is that that's at the same time as Ohio State Wisconsin. Right, there is no window. I don't know if there's a window.
Speaker 2: I don't see a damn window. This is a cheap New York apartment that you're going to have to hang up one of those fake skylight things to make it seem like you're not going insane.
Speaker 1: I don't know there's a window here. No, no, no, the window is the wall. And again listen after this. The whole damn thing is a window of opportunity. Go see cats. You can actually go see cats again.
Speaker 2: Have you heard knives Out? I've heard amazing things about knives Out. No, I'm gonna go see that, I hope. Go see whatever you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but give yourself this Saturday, even this Friday, if you're really into it. No, window of opportunity this week, you're ready to dive in here. Well, if you're if you're on the West coast, you got what a five pm kick? Yeah? Sure, still, you got late dinner. You're good to go. The Doctor Pepper Big twelve Championship game. They're gonna be doing the tuition throw here. There're gonna be multiple tuition throws this weeks past. Kids, we will be doing a full breakdown on the Sunday Show. I have recommitted myself to the tuition throw controversy. This one is at high noon on Saturday. It's on ABC. It is eleven and one Bailer. It is eleven and one Oklahoma. The Sooners are an eight point favorite. You may recall this is a rematch from about three weeks ago. That was the game Bayler probably should have could have maybe won after a really start. Also the same game where Oklahoma came all the way back and won thirty four to thirty one in Waco, a real heartbreaker for the Baylor Bears. So this is a real opportunity for Baylor to get that sweet redemption if they won it, and for both teams. Of course, there are playoff implications. I think they both need some help, but it's certainly on the table for both, is it not? Absolutely? I mean, we can talk about the latest rankings, I suppose I'd rather just talk about these games. Yes, an enormous game. I'm actually pretty excited by this game. And one of the things that we've talked about is how many points will it take to beat blank Sure we know exactly how many points it takes for Baylor to beat Oklahoma thirty five? How many did they give up last time at home? Thirty four?
Speaker 2: Takes thirty five to beat Oklahoma, especially now on a neutral side field at Jerry World. And Oklahoma, for their part this year, they've really done a good job improving their past defense, and I guess they probably should have considering this year's crop of big twelve quarterbacks as a whole. And it seems like the Sooners should win if they're able to keep it what's the theme clean, If they are able to avoid turnovers and play relatively disciplined, it's going to be very difficult for Baylor to score thirty five points, even in a revenge spot.
Speaker 1: They'll probably need to run.
Speaker 2: The ball pretty successfully, much better than they did in the second half the first time they played, Probably get some turnover luck. And here's the thing. If it takes thirty five to beat the Sooners, how many times you don't have this at the top of your head. Probably did Baylor score thirty five against a pretty decent Big twelve team? The answer is once, Yeah, they scored it against Oklahoma State, and that's not how they beat teams. And the defense has been a luxury and that they haven't needed to score a ton of points. But man Lincoln Riley offense, even with the topsy turfiness. That's today's phrase of Jalen Hurts. I have it thirty to twenty seven Oklahomas. I'm gonna take take the points there. I think Baylor covers the defense is too good to be separated from, but I think the Sooners take it.
Speaker 1: I think you're right to mention some of the defensive improvements that Oklahoma's made. But have you noticed we haven't really talked much about Alex Grinch since late October? Right, and this defense hasn't played as well since that case State lost In the last few games, they've gotten their act back together here, but well, they didn't play that well against kse State. Well they certainly didn't play that well against k State, but there have been moments here that have caused me to question the I don't know validity of that defense, let's.
Speaker 2: Say, but if you can hang around and you're not forced to throw from behind, right, you can sure really interesting things on the ground against Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: There's a path. There's absolutely a path. My point here with the defense is, I don't know if that's an issue here. Even if they should have lost that first game, they did come back and win, and the defense came up big in the second half half of that game. So it's just kind of a maybe a factoid that would only interest Tom Hammond, but something that I've been paying attention to over the last couple of weeks. I do think Oklahoma is a better team here. I just think that eight's a lot of points. So I'm gonna say Baylor plus eight maybe something like thirty eight thirty one Oklahoma. The concern, man, is Thatler's defense giving up nearly forty. They gave up field, they gave up thirty four. I know they gave up three what in in the first half, they gave up thirty four counts. I know they did that. The concern here though, from a point spread standpoint, is especially if you're betting Baylor plus eight. Whoever wins this game has to try and do it with as many style points as possible correct, and I think that makes for a lot of front door cover potential.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, doggies. Also, it should be noted that in that first game, as this is to your point, Ceedee, Lamb didn't play for Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: No, he did. It seems like a difference maker. I would agree with that. I would agree with that, So we agree. Yeah, I think there's a lot we agree on here. I'm also going to take those points. I'm on the fence though. I'm on the fence, and it does feel like the kind of game where Oklahoma could get up and try to run away with it and try to lay it on as thick as they can.
Speaker 2: I think you're right and throw chess passes. Kids get money, however you can. College is expensive. Don't listen to Tie. Tie would throw chess passes if put in that opportunity he needs.
Speaker 1: Cash, he probably would wouldn't I of course, if it's quicker, I probably would. I don't like you're watching it, but if I'm in that situation, and I could win.
Speaker 2: It if any of Tye, if any of your if any of your three kids were on the field and not throwing a chess pass ended up costing.
Speaker 1: You an extra hundred grand. Sure have you talked about your kids on the show yet? No? Not yet. Okay, you would kind of be furious. I would have a hard time with that. Yeah, yeah, no, Okay, the rent would go up. Okay, I'm glad we agree on everything. Now. SEC Championship game. This one's at four pm on Saturday. It's on CBS. It's eleven and one Georgia, It's twelve and o LSU. The Bayou Bengals are a seven and one half point favorite. They didn't play during the regular season. They played this one in Atlanta, so it's sort of a home game for the George Bulldogs. Would you agree that this game is our best chance for an upset this weekend? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean upset in quotes, right. It's number It's two top four teams playing. I don't know what they'll end up after the fact, but yeah, I suppose Georgia in Atlanta in a dome. I mean's fast track for LSU has a very good shot at winning this game. But they're a touchdown dog here there, a dog is a dog. Yeah, I think I think this is the best chance for upset. I took a while with this one. It was at what seven and a half eight points? It came down to seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have this as a push to you. Really. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What I do a lot of the time is I don't look at the spread and I just think about what I think the final score will be. If I had to go one direction or the other, I think I would probably take Georgia to cover this, But I have LSU winning either way. Their offense, as we've seen all year, incredible, amazing. I think the biggest concern with the Tigers from time to time has been their run defense, especially if we're comparing it to what the Georgia offense can or can't do down I guess a receiver and a half since George Pickens is suspended for the first half. Not a lot of firepower from Georgia in the passing game, at least creatively, there isn't. LSU's defense has played pretty well against the run. They did a decent enough job against Alabama. We saw them completely hold down Texas A and m and it was all missed running a different style offense that really succeeded, and Georgia won't be running that style. So if we're really going to reduce it, it's stopped DeAndre Swift. A beat up DeAndre Swift and win. But that's easier said than done, ty. So on the Georgia side, to me, their defense is clearly great with the caveat The best quarterback they've played is almost assuredly Kyle Trask, right, definitely, and they did a pretty good job against him. But they really haven't been tested by a top flight quarterback, so we really don't know how they respond in the face of a killer offense. So I guess you got to score thirty to beat LSU, and that seems like a lot for this Georgia team, which hasn't really gotten there against good teams. So I originally twenty seven to twenty, I guess I can make a twenty seven to twenty one Tigers very cleanly get into the playoff.
Speaker 1: I am also taking the points here. George is really good against the pass. I don't think they're outright stopping Joe Burrow because no one's done that, right, But can they curtail him. Yeah, I think they can, Oh my gosh, yeah, of course. And because they are so shorthanded out wide, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they just try to run clock and they take the air out of the ball. They play that ugly sec man ball that we came to love or hate at Alabama over the years. But it's kind of their style, you know, in SEC play this year, their first in time of possession. It does sound like, thankfully DeAndre Swift is okay and he's gonna play here. We already talked about it being sort of a home game in Atlanta. I just it feels to me like there's a lot to like about Georgia here. I too, am very concerned about offensive firepower. That's been a recurring theme so far this year. And I certainly don't think that they can win in a shootout with LSU. But can they muddy it up? Has Georgia played in a shootout this year? I don't know. I don't think they have. Can Georgia muddy it up? Can they make it an ugly game? I think they can? And I'm getting a little nuts here, but I've Georgia twenty eight twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, And have you softened it all on your thoughts of LSU being in. No matter what happens in this game, this game means nothing. LSU might as well start their third stringers. Have I thought more about it? Yeah, I mean we had this discussion. I sort of put you on the spots. Sometimes you need a little bit more time to meditate on things and maybe change your position.
Speaker 1: I certainly can. If it's twenty eight twenty seven, I think they get in.
Speaker 2: If it's twenty eight twenty seven, LSU, it does not matter what happens in this game, they're in.
Speaker 1: Yes. Agree.
Speaker 2: And if Oklahoma just blows the doors off of a really good Baylor team doesn't matter to you.
Speaker 1: I mean it matters to me. I don't want to go make it. I mean it doesn't matter to you. In terms of LSU's positioning in this I think LSU teams in because at that point, Dan, at that point, when you are comparing teams, you're comparing the body of work over the full year.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, it's very difficult to compare bodies of work. It's it's also like how they win. You know what the actual scenario is. When I think it's important.
Speaker 1: But if it's one v one v one, if we're talking about LSU against Utah against Oklahoma, I'm taking LSU la losing to Georgia. I'm taking ls's loss to Georgia over Utah's loss over Oklahoma's loss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that renders the game meaningless then it would. And I'm not just I can't get behind a college football even if that's a reality in which I live and you live and everybody listening to this lives. I'm just not going to say I'm on board with it fair I am. I am completely out, and I would put either one of the conference champions, not necessarily because they're conference champions, but because they won. Right now as a fully formed team, we have what twelve data points on all of these teams, and LSU has an opportunity to beat a playoff team and firmly establish themselves as a top four team, and they lose on a neutral field. I don't understand why that earns them a do over, and we don't get to see if Oklahoma or Utah is able to beat Georgia. I'm not I'm out on it.
Speaker 1: It's two different trains of thought for sure, we could do a full podcast on this, but I think we are in agreement that we're both taking the points. Though, yes we agree. As far as I can tell, no Georgia game would qualify as a shootout, and that's good credit much credit to their defense. The ACC Championship game play this one in Charlotte. It is seven point thirty Saturday evening on ABC. It is the nine to three Virginia Cavaliers. It is the twelve and zero Clemson Tigers. The points spread here is a meaty twenty eight and a half points, obviously in favor of your defending national champions. These two teams last played back in twenty thirteen during the ballyhooed Mike London era. Dan Sure, Clemson won that game fifty nine to ten. Okay, So to say that it's a bit of a revenge spot for or Virginia might be a bit of a stretch, but isn't entirely off. I struggled with what I want to say about this game. Oh, keep it clean, tie, that's the theme. They're kids listening. I have a hard time breaking this one down because it feels like so much of a foregone conclusion. I really like Bryce Perkins, he's certainly not good enough to do it on his own against the really good Clemson defense. I like the UVA defense, but not enough to really hold down Trevor Lawrence and all the weapons that he has. On the Clemson side, they are clearly the better football team. M UVA is. I guess you could argue legitimately the second best team that they've played all year. So maybe there's something there. But I really struggled with trying to put together like why Sam Clemson played I guess Texas A and m Okay, I'm just curious. I really struggled with thoughtful commentary that could actually advance to discussion on the a SEC Championship game.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, first of all, I think North Carolina probably is because they got within one, and that automatically does it for me. Before I talk about this game and address all of those comments, can you play the breaking news sound?
Speaker 1: I can. Don't tell me Clay Hilton got fired because this will already be news to everybody listening. It's for you and me. Mike Bone, USC athletic director verified account just tweeted out, I'm pleased to let you know Coach Helton will continue to be our head coach. Yes, we got one right. His commitment to our student athletes and to leading with integrity. Oh interesting? Interesting? What is he saying with that.
Speaker 2: Is vital to restoring our championship program, which is the goal for all of our teams. So far, it has two hundred and seven retweets and eight hundred plus replies, So Mike Bon's getting ratio a ratio situation. We'll see what happens with the assistant situation and how they perhaps will attempt to improve and add to and adjust and tweak and overhaul the USC program under Clay Helton.
Speaker 1: I understand the move, it is still somewhat surprising.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, the ACC Championship game. So you're right, it is very hard to figure out how this is a competitive game for as good as Bryce Perkins as a do everything talent, and he's probably the best do everything quarterback Clemson will face this year. Sam Howell might be the best thrower, but in terms of somebody who can take over a game, that's Bryce Perkins. Unfortunately, I think he is really good at times and okay other times, and his ceiling is just not what somebody like Johnny Manzel or Cam Newton or somebody like that who can just be an all purpose quarterback and take over a game in a huge spot against a very good team. So if Virginia is going to hang around, if they're going to make this a game, it's gonna take Bryce Perkins. It's going to take probably a pick six, It's probably gonna take a kick return for a touchdown.
Speaker 1: Luckily, they might have the best kick returner in the country. Hi, Joe Reid, Hi, nice to see you. The problem is away from from Whoville, Array, away from Charlottesville. Bryce Perkins sort of takes a dip away from home, and it's not far to Charlotte. But this Clemson defense is just absurd, especially against the pass, especially throwing the ball, and Virginia's beat up in their secondary. So I would expect success both deep and turning small passes into big passes for Clemson. And I didn't see the spread before I.
Speaker 2: Came up with the score. I have it thirty five to ten Clemson, So I guess Virginia covers Array.
Speaker 1: It feels like a lot of points, doesn't it. It does, she doesn't feel like many points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And also, and I don't know how much I believe this, But if this is the cliched conventional, Clemson doesn't want to put too much on film ahead of a potential playoff matchup, so you could see them not wanting to get somebody hurt. If they're way ahead in this game'd be great if it were competitive late, but I think the breaks will be on, especially in light of Dabbo.
Speaker 1: Saying how good the ACC is. Right, there's that. Yeah. I mean the one game that keeps bouncing around in my mind is Clemson losing to Miami seventeen to nine or something like they didn't even score. I mean Virginia losing Virginia Sorry, yeah, Virginia losing on the road at Miami seventeen to nine. Yeah, that was the final score. They look really bad in that game. And I just don't know what happens when you go up against clearly the best defense you've faced all year. Right, So I think it's right on that number. I think it's something like forty nine to ten, forty nine to seventeen, somewhere in that range.
Speaker 2: Okay, So first, how many points does Virginia need to score? Just what is their final score? Where if you just saw it on ESPN's bottom line, you'd be like, oh wow, good for you Virginia.
Speaker 1: In terms of total points. Yeah yeah, if they got to twenty eight. Yeah, that's exactly what I had in my mind. Twenty eight would impress me.
Speaker 2: Okay, and what percentage? What are your odds? Just from a zero to one hundred?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 2: Uh, this is you know, Virginia can do all of those things. Cleanliness is the theme. They can keep it. They can keep it clean. No turnovers, no, no big mistakes, no crazy penalties. And get that kick return, get that pick six, get that ten percent crazy field position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have it like seven and a half percent, ten percent. Okay, yeah, I man, that's a lot of points though it is. I'm taking points. I'm changing for Dogs Saturday, Super Dog Saturday. Where's my sound hold on? Where is it? Let's play it the Yokos home dog of the week.
Speaker 2: Now not home, but it's hot dog related neutral site. Also, I should mention for any of these cities if you're going to the general North Texas Dallas area, if you're staying in Dallas for this game, if you're a Baylor fan, if you're a I mean, it's not that long of a drive from Waco and surrounding areas. But cow Noodles not cow Khao. Maybe it's co Noodles in the Dallas area is my recommendation for Atlanta.
Speaker 1: I don't know what I'd recommend in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe uh Be's Cracklin Barbecue b Apostrophe es uh. In Charlotte, I've always recommended Fudo Buddha for ramen Futo bhutto fudo buthta Innisio pizza. Also in Charlotte, very good. I went and was I was delicious, And now I'm ready to move.
Speaker 1: On Dan Before we move on oh, as you know, it's an exciting time for sports right now, but maybe no more so than in the NFL, where you've got our former Louisville cardinal Lamar Jackson redefining what it means to be a dual threat quarterback. The odds on him to win the MVP race for like fifty to one before the beginning of the season, they have plummeted, making my bookies prop section more attractive than ever. Then next week we've got a UFC card that apparently is pretty stacked three championship fights. People are going to my bookie trying to get in on the action. It's the best place to do so. If you're the kind of person who likes to make a little bet here, sure. If you like a couple of the big favorites this week, maybe group them together. Parlays are perfect because they let you bet multiple games together for a much bigger payout. My book, he's got more lines and better odds for the player than any other sportsbook around. If you join right now, they're going to match your deposit halfway all the way up to one thousand bucks. That means if you deposit two thousand, you get an extra one and free money to play with. All you gotta do is use our promo code Solid to activate the offer again. That is promo code Solid at MyBookie dot ag and get your extra cash. You bet, you win, you get paid. Sounds great. Let's move on to the Big Ten Championship game. This one is also on Saturday night at eight pm. It is on the Fox Network. It is Ohio State at twelve and oh It is Wisconsin at ten and two. And this one also is a meaty seventeen point Spreaddan. You may recall these teams played back at the end of October Ohio State one that one by thirty one. It was a thirty eight to seven final. In that game, Jonathan Taylor tailback was held to fifty two yards. This was also just the in the early days of Jack Cone before he turned into Dan Marino. Like we saw last week. He was ten of seventeen for one and eight yards in touchdown. Meanwhile, JK. Dobbins had a big game, Chase Young had four sacks. You get the point. They won by thirty one. That's just the way these things go. Pretty impressive. Absolutely. My question to you, and something that I have been dealing with in trying to break down this game, is do we feel that anything significant has changed over the last month or so of football that would change how you how we feel about Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: About Wisconsin, yes, yeah, I mean they're a little bit more beat up on defense.
Speaker 1: I know they're down their nose tackle. He's been out since Iowa. He's out for the year. AJ Taylor's beat up. I think he's their second leading receiver. I don't know pass catcher, but receiver. I think a corner is hurt who has a terrific name, cat you remember. I think it's Rashad wild goose. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I love that he's.
Speaker 2: Beat up and so that that has changed. But in terms of their actual performance since they played Ohio State, they edged Iowa, and that looks better now how Iowa finished out their season beating Minnesota. Both I guess both Iowa and Wisconsin beat Minnesota. Their defense, to me, has not looked amazing.
Speaker 1: Didn't look great against Nebraska, but managed to clean things up against Minnesota in that sort of tumultuous weather.
Speaker 2: So I don't think dramatically. Jack Cone having a nice game against Minnesota certainly is a.
Speaker 1: Plus, but the answer is no.
Speaker 2: Though the answer they haven't gotten back like a game changing receiver. They haven't gotten back three defensive linemen who can't be can't be blocked, that kind of thing. So no, I for better or worse, they seem similar.
Speaker 1: They seem similar. If anything, I think Ohio State's gotten better, and no that that's a problem as we enter this matchup. The only thing that I would be hanging my hat on if I picked Wisconsin to win and or cover, to be honest, is the fact that this is a rematch, that perhaps there is some familiarity between these two teams. Well, the first game was in Columbus, right, it's in Columbus, right, so this neutral side, it's in India. I get it different atmospherics at play, but it's just that Ohio State is so good against the run, they're even better against the pass. I don't feel like this game is drastically different from the first. Maybe Wisconsin gets to fourteen or twenty one points somewhere in that neighborhood, but I think Ohio State's like eighteen to twenty one points better here. I still stand by the fact that they're the best team in the country, and I don't see this game being that different from what we saw the first time they played. Can I ask you a follow up? Please? Would you say the left knee of Justin Fields is exactly the same? It is not. Time they play, it is not Would you say that Justin Field's mobility in terms of scrambling for first downs on third and nine or buying himself more time to find an open receiver who is popping out of a pretty good Wisconsin defense, would you say that helped them the first time? It helped them the first time? Sure?
Speaker 2: Would you say he's probably going to be more limited with an mcl sprain in terms of cutting and speed and changing directions and being able to be the dual threat sort of.
Speaker 1: Was it wunderkind? No German? Sure, gotta go the wunderkind wounderkind? Do you think that is altered? I knew he came off the bench after his injury against Michigan and threw a pass to the back of the end zone off the short leg. So no, I think he'll be fine. I don't. He might not be as explosive, and to your point, sure, maybe he's not as quite as big old knee brace. Yeah, but I think he'll be fine. He's fine good enough when he is normally a game changer at full health, when you have all of these weapons, when you have JK. Dobbins being a bowling ball with eyes. Dobbins back there, Thank you, Gus. It's a gus game. I think it is a gust game, so beware. But I just I don't feel like anything is so drastically different. Ohio State has not shown any signs of letting up all year. I don't understand why it would start. I'm not seeing anything that would tell me it's going to start now.
Speaker 2: So here is another difference. Right leading up to the Wisconsin game. For Ohio State, I believe they had the Northwestern Friday night game leading up to it. You remember that one. Yep, sure it's close, close for a few minutes that it was Michigan State, a bye week, Northwestern Wisconsin in retrospect, not a terribly challenging lead up leading up to this game. Penn State somewhat close, Michigan emotional, not super close at the end. But it's a double body blow game.
Speaker 1: Is it? Not? Facing Wisconsin a week after Michigan a week after Penn State. You think Ohio State's the best team in the country, and that's fine, I do. I think it's significant with another week on the road. They were in an arbor last week, a beat up quarterback, so you have that let down post rivalry. Not that they're not taking this game seriously, but these are all human emotions. Maybe the Badgers are peaking.
Speaker 2: A little bit and a little more confident after Jack Cone showed a sort of different element against a good team last week. The good news for Ohio State is Sean Wade, who the corner who missed last week's game against Michigan, appears to be The quote is should be ready, so the secondary should be in better shape for Ohio State. I just Wisconsin's gonna need two of the following. They're gonna need some sort of fluke slash broken play. Yeah, they're gonna need a big return. They're gonna need a big slash timely turnover. They're gonna need a noticeably immobile justin fields. Hope it's not the case, but that would certainly help Wisconsin's cause they need no JK. Dobbins run to go longer than like fifteen or twenty yards, and I have down here they need major carpet and turf issues at key moments to really help them out.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 2: The defense is actually the bigger issue to me, but I still have because I think they might be able to get one or two of those. Ohio State twenty eight, Wisconsin twenty wow. Yeah, so super dog Saturday for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean fair enough. I understand the logic. Wisconsin's defense the last six weeks of the year, HM hasn necessarily been much to write home about. Look good last week, yeah on the ground against Nebraska. Yeah, look good last week against Minnesota. But there have been spots across the I don't know the second half the season here that have left me wondering at points, but I just don't think it's drastically different. I'm taking Ohio State minus whatever. So we disagree, disagree, and then our final Power five Championship game if we could travel back in time, Dan, Because this show drops on a Thursday morning, we want to give people ample time to listen to the other content before we get to the Friday game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we can listen to our wrongness about Friday night as they go to a Saturday game.
Speaker 1: Save the best for last. Correct. This one is eight pm, it is Friday, It is on ABC. It is Utah at eleven and one, it is Oregon, your Oregon Ducks, the defending Red Box Bowl champions Where's my hat? At ten and two? The point spread here is six, Dan, oh, six points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty low considering the other games that we have in front of us.
Speaker 1: They still play this one in Santa Clara. Correct, Levi Stadium, far as I know, as far as I know, So talk to me about this one. How do you feel as an Oregon fan and alum.
Speaker 2: I'll speak to this both as an organ fan and alum, and as somebody who has watched the Utah Utes play football this year. So for Oregon to win this game after a couple of pretty lousy performances from the offense. They're fine defensively last year, but their offense has certainly been a pretty disjointed lot. Justin Herbert has to win this game. I don't think they can ride the running game. I don't think they can ride that pistol. I don't think they can ride counting on those backs. To really move the chains, they need to play uncharacteristically smart, aggressive, and creatively in big moments on both sides of the ball. We saw them fail the moments on defense, even though they it was a pretty good defensive game, they gave up those big passes to Jaden Daniels and those ASU receivers. For me, there are just too many ifs about Oregon. There's too many questions about Oregon and too many answers about Utah. The big question for me about Utah is it's been a nice year to be in the Pac twelve. It's been a very nice year to be good in the Pac twelve, which I emphatically believe Utah to be. I don't know how tested they are. They tried to give away the Washington game in the third quarter with a couple of turnovers, and they came back like a good team should and overcame them and won that game. It was a five point game, but they're up twelve late, so it was fine. They lost to USC and their fourth string quarterback inexcusable the way they lost that game, Mistakes in the red zone, and just they just didn't look like themselves. Utah's the better team. Utah has more ways that they can win this game. Tyler Huntley can pick up first downs with his legs if everybody's covered on third and seven. I think Utah's just in a better space. Their front seven is ridiculous. They get after the quarterback, they stopped the run, they stopped big plays. If Oregon has a shot, they're going to need to go downfield a good amount. And I think it was Michale Wright who had the one hundred yard kick return against USC. I talk about cleanliness. I talk about you needing something plus something plus something. I think Oregon's in that spot because it's what we're thirteen or they're twelve games in and you watch their offense and you don't have a sense of like, what do we do well Oregon can That's that question.
Speaker 1: That is my Yeah, that is actually what I've got written down here on my show What's Our Bread and Butter. I want to know what Oregon does well? Right, And we've watched them playing defense pretty well, but offensively, I don't know, you've watched him a lot more than I have this year, But that that was the question that I kept coming back to. If I'm picking Oregon, what am I truly leaning on? I guess it's Justin Herbert. Justin Herbert's an incredible talent. He's got moments, of course, But what am I leaning on if I'm picking Oregon here? And do I value those flashes of brilliance over just the utter consistency of Utah so far the season? Right, a top ten team both in terms of offense and defense according to the sp plus efficiency metrics, which I know we both love, and they've just been very consistent Oregon, Dan, They've they've almost got a little bit of a half team complex going on. You just don't know what half of the team is going to be better. Yeah, I think it's almost like half of their games they look really good, right, Like half of the games they look like a complete team. We've seen it this year against you know, Colorado and USC teams like that, and other times you don't know what you know. Sometimes it's on execution, sometimes it's on play calling. Sometimes it's on the stubborn elements of how the offense is built.
Speaker 2: And here here's the I guess good news. If you're an Oregon fan, it should be a pretty mucked up game weatherwise.
Speaker 1: Oh, we got a rain game, don't we. We've got rained. Give that to me. Give it to me.
Speaker 2: I would grab the under if you're a betting sort, Okay, in a wind game, I think it's in the fifties. Uh, the over under is where it's set right now. If you toss favor by about six and a half. That means they see it as what like my quick math, like a thirty to twenty four ish type games.
Speaker 1: Twenty eight twenty three is what I have written down.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that would it's right around in a where the is right now. But I think Utah wins this game by thirteen points, and I just it's something like I don't know, twenty seven, fourteen, thirty to seventeen, I don't know. But I would hit that under, and I feel good enough about Utah both covering and the under that that's just a double barrel lock for me.
Speaker 1: Really, you want me to lock it up? Yes? Please? Look of the Week? Wow?
Speaker 2: Okay, is this the biggest game in Utah football history? Probably they beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. That's not insignificant to play in the Sugar Bowl against that type of legacy, crazy program. But for Utah to have an opportunity to waltz into the elite of the elite of the sports, I think this is the biggest game in program history. This is their Titanium super Bowl.
Speaker 1: I think they're gonna do. Think they're gonna walk into the playoff. I just think they're flat out better. I've been stumping for Utah for a while now. Yeah, I think they're a good team. I am very curious to see if, because this game is on ABC, we get some sort of like sidebar conversation about Utah. It's got Paul Fine Bamb's comments on their bulletin board in the little I saw that America doesn't want Utah in the playoff. Whatever, Paul right, I got twenty eight twenty three. I think win game Rain game maybe kind of close, but Utah is better. I think they win. I think they get in.
Speaker 2: If you are going to this game as a Utah fan or as an Organ fan, one, bring like a poncho of some kind, maybe long underwear. Two you might be staying in San Francisco Del Popolo for pizza very very good. And number three if you're staying in San Jose Mexico Bakery for an incredible torta.
Speaker 1: We've got five group of five championship games that we need to get through here very quickly. If we want to be thorough, We've got Sun Belt. It's funny how that works out. There are five group of five games crazy in the sun Belt. We've got Louisiana at ten and two. We've got app State at eleven and one. It's at high noon on Saturday. App State one. This one by ten back in the beginning of October. They are a six point favorite. Here, Dan, who you got? Ragon Cagen's run the hell out of the ball. App State gives up some big runs, so I'm gonna stick with super Dog Saturday. Ragion Cagen's Louisiana by a touchdown in boone. I've got app State, But I think it's close. I think it's a field goal the Mountaineers. Let's go to the MAC Championship Game. Also at high noon, it is Miami, Ohio. At seven and five. It is Central Michigan at eight and four. Central Michigan is a seven point favorite. This is the first time these teams have played all year, Dan, Who you got?
Speaker 2: You can throw on Central Michigan, but I don't see Miami being able to. I've watched them some during some action action. They beat up on a lot of terrible teams. So did Central Michigan.
Speaker 1: Uh, I'm gonna go Mac in the MAC Championship Chips by ten. I'm with you. I'm with you. Conference USA Championship Game. It is at one thirty on Saturday. It is UAB the Dragons. At nine and three, it is FAU the Owls Owl also at nine and three. The Fighting Kiffins are a seven and a half point favorite. Dan. They did not play during the regular season. Who you Got?
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna take FAU. I don't think the Blazers are gonna be able to keep up, so I'm gonna take the Owls by ten, especially since pretty good defense for Lane Kiffin and Boca.
Speaker 1: They do, don't they? Yeah, And it could be his going away party, could be if he decides or if he's offered another job. So I'm with you. I like Fau by ten to fourteen points somewhere in that rain v. Fau, Yes, excuse me. American Athletic Conference Championship Game, three p thirty on Saturday. It is Cincinnati at ten and two. It is Memphis at eleven and one. They played last week, Dan, they played just last week. They played just last week Memphis, very same place, Well, very same place. Memphis won that game by ten points, thirty four to twenty four. Well, and behold the point spread here is nine in the rematch, Dan, who you got? I think there's something super back and forth about Cincinnati going to Memphis coming back. It's in a long trip, but I'm gonna take Memphis here by a couple of touchdowns. I don't trust the Cincinnati offense. Even though it's tough to beat a team two weeks in a row comfortably, I still think Memphis is that much better on offense. Cincinnati will get stops, but it's just it's gonna it's gonna wear on them. I think I got Memphis by two touchdowns. I think a point that you raised last week is the important one, and that's when they made us switch a quarterback. They made a switch a quarterback, but just on the whole. Cincinnati's offense has been sneaky terrible all year. Yeah, decent enough defense, but not as good as they were a year ago. And Memphis is really good on offense. Scoreman absolutely. And finally, the Mountain West Championship game four pm. It is Hawaii at nine to four. It is Boise State at eleven and one. The Broncos are a fourteen point favorite. These two teams did play back in mid October. Boise won that game by a fifty nine to thirty seven margin, Dan.
Speaker 2: You got fifty nine? Would you say fifty nine and thirty seven? Twenty two points? Yep, it's a lot of points. Great half team in Hawaii. Those offense is great and their defense can be a nightmare. I Boise was actually pretty lucky to win at Colorado State, and I guess what turned out to be Mike Bobo's final game. I'm expecting big things from Boise's terrific freshman running back George Halani so I have another twenty point or forty four to twenty four.
Speaker 1: Boise.
Speaker 2: That is all I have in the way, except for you have one other matchup, which you insist is bigger.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, baby, let's do it. I don't have a sound for this. I have all I played December to remember. Oh yeah, that's time works. It sort of takes the steam out of this matchup. But it's at high noon. It is the number four Muhlenberg Mules, located right here in good old Allentown, Pennsylvania. Division three. It is the number sixth rank Salisbury Seagulls, a team that was their seafaring Team of the Week a couple of weeks ago. Yes, they are squaring off in the Division three quarter finals.
Speaker 2: Dan Muhlenberg undefeated, the Mules undefeated. How far are you from Muhlenberg.
Speaker 1: I used to be five minutes from Ulenberg. Oh okay. They beat by the way. They beat Mit in the first round of the tournament, and I think they won forty two to nothing. Last week they did.
Speaker 2: They took down the the Broxies of Brockport forty two nail. They have not let up a point, no, not a loot of point in the tournament, so some would say some would.
Speaker 1: Say a team of destiny. But here's where I'm going with this. Friend of the show and participant in our DC Live show, one Tim Murray, who's on NBC Sports Network. I know you've been on Tim Show a bunch of times, right, Yeah, I think so. He is named Muhlenberg Alump, and he also an athlete, former athlete, and also lives close enough to where this game is taking place. So I was talking to him today and I'm trying to get him to pack up the wife and the kids, throw him in the car, make the short jaunt down to Salisbury. Did you're on your alma mater? He refused? Tailgateing he refuses. He said it's going to be cold, So I think we should do it not so secret verbal and encourage him as only for ballers can to go and watch his Muhlenberg mules. Just tweet at him and say, what kind of man is scared of seagulls? Go watch some football coward? You don't have to do the left part one the numeral one one Tim Murray t I M m U R R A Y the number one Tim Murray on Twitter. Yeah, what kind of man is scared of seagulls. That's all.
Speaker 2: I got to go watch some football. Comma coward, That's all I have as well. I know he listens to the show, so he's going to hear that. But just encourage him to have a great time. He as a young child. Everybody can go have a great time with some were they D three?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sure, D three football? Come on, make it happens done all right? I have time, cleanliness, serotonin, shampoo, whatever you need.
Speaker 1: Whatever you need, savor the flavor, what you ever? Do? You have a lock? My lock is Ohio State. Oh okay, I'm walking up Ohio State. It has been a pleasure doing these previous shows with you all season, Dan, Are you breaking up with me? Not yet? Okay. We will be back on Sunday to recap all of this action and much much more. Perhaps there will be other coaching news breaking in the college football sphere. If it does, we will be with you on Sunday to discuss it. We'll also be with you on Tuesday. La Florida State will name a coach by the end of the weekend. They claim they want to. They claim they wanted to before the end of November, but that didn't quite work out.
Speaker 2: Could mean that it's somebody involved in a conference championship game. Could be Mike Norvel, could be Mike Norvell involved in a conference championship could be one of the Clemson co offensive coordinators.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we will have to wait and see. We thank you again for downloading the show, for subscribing to the show, for being such a willing participant in our madness here on the solid verbal until we talk again on Sunday. Thanks again. Enjoy your weekend and stay solid. Peace.