Speaker 1: School of Humans.
Speaker 2: This podcast is based on the true story of explorer, inventor, visionary, and science pioneer Tom Slick. Some of the story elements, names, and characters have been altered for dramatic purposes. Consider using headphones to enhance your listening experience. We've created an immersive soundscape to tell our story.
Speaker 3: It's Blair. Leave me a message and I'll text you back like a civilized human. Blair, It's live.
Speaker 4: I know you only text, but this is I found a box of Grandad's tapes like the one you found at the institute. There could be more information in here about the expedition in the Himalays. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Just call me back up.
Speaker 1: There's only two bottles of cheap red everything else in the wine, Celery.
Speaker 3: If you boxed up.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I haven't been around to help more with the packing.
Speaker 1: Well, when the event is over tomorrow and I'll remind you that you said that, and.
Speaker 4: I'll just blame the shit wine for messing with my head.
Speaker 5: Oh it's bad, It's really bad.
Speaker 1: So did you find the rest of the machine gun Kelly stuff on one of those tapes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's right here.
Speaker 6: My first wriddle Monster hunt Well.
Speaker 3: I was tracking down that gangster machine gun Kelly. He never told you any of this, not a word.
Speaker 7: Because when the shock of being face to face with machine gun Kelly had worn off, the shame of letting him just take my stepfather persisted and fueled what came next. I called the police first, but when they heard it was Charles Erschel who was kidnapped, the call went straight to the top.
Speaker 1: We've been on Kelly's trail for.
Speaker 7: The last ten months, to the director of the FBI, Jay Edgar Hoover.
Speaker 1: They would quiet for.
Speaker 6: A while, but now I know why.
Speaker 3: Your father's estate was a bigger score than any banking could wrong.
Speaker 7: After that call, the FED showed up at our door. At the time, there's no way to trace Kelly, so we just had to wait for contact.
Speaker 6: God it was grueling.
Speaker 7: I checked the mail every fifteen minutes. Then four days, three hours and seven minutes after the abduction, a ransom note.
Speaker 8: Oh thank God, read it, Tom, go on, don't tamper with the evidence, son.
Speaker 5: Agent Roper. What does it say about.
Speaker 9: Charles Kelly's demanding two hundred thousand for his release?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: How is he?
Speaker 10: What does Kelly say about that?
Speaker 6: Look?
Speaker 11: Kelly let him write something at the end.
Speaker 5: What does it say?
Speaker 9: All right, says Bernice. Please pay Kelly as quickly as you can. I am so low. The only thing that keeps me high above the clouds of despair are the thoughts of you and God. What then he wrote some numbers nine forty five and five forty five might be Bible verses.
Speaker 2: Charles isn't any verses.
Speaker 9: Kelly must have given him a Bible makes sense in this situation.
Speaker 7: Oh, FBI agents are no at alls. It's part of their job description. But they didn't know my stepfather. He wrote about despair in that note. That word wasn't a part of his vocabulary. He didn't do feelings. Sure a fear can do a lot of things to a person, but I won't give you a full blown the bottomy.
Speaker 12: I wasn't a note, it was a code.
Speaker 7: The only thing that keeps me high above the clouds of despair are my family and God high above the clouds.
Speaker 5: Tom, that doesn't sound like Charles.
Speaker 7: Nine and five forty five aren't Bible versus.
Speaker 3: They're air routes. What come on, think about it, Kelly.
Speaker 6: You's not gonna hide out in some city with a captive. He's in a deserted location, and.
Speaker 3: The only thing you hear in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 6: High above the clouds, is a plane flying over son Look.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you they're under an air route.
Speaker 5: Sir, huh, he's onto something.
Speaker 9: Agent Ropert, let me make a call. All right, we have a lead. I need you guys to track airport.
Speaker 7: The FBI used my intel to pinpoint the Shannon Ranch and Paradise, Texas at the front. A day later they raided it. They let me tag along.
Speaker 3: To stay down on three two.
Speaker 7: I was there when they kicked the door in the eyes and with more than twenty guns aimed at machine gun, Kelly at SOB shoutedoop and lucky for him, the government men didn't shoot. Kelly wasn't worth the bullet. They found my stepfather caged up out back, alive and just rare, and to testify against Kelly in a federal trial that would be so notorious they allowed film cameras in the courtroom. Kelly and his wife were sentenced to a lifetime behind bars, and the trial went on to solidify kidnapping as a federal crime. Oh And Jay Edgar Hoover's FBI well, they took all the credit for solving the case, but news of my involvement got around.
Speaker 8: Tommy Dulles, Oh, I heard you're trying your hand at heroics.
Speaker 12: Had a boy.
Speaker 7: I'm a Navy man now ship out to Santiago, Chili on my birthday next week.
Speaker 13: No, I was talking about machine gun Kelly after our little hunt for Nessie. I thought you gave up on tracking down monsters, but you bagged a biggie with that one. Any interest in a more dangerous hunt?
Speaker 3: Well, what do you have in mind?
Speaker 14: Chapter two? This is the mostly true tale of Tom Slick, mystery hunter.
Speaker 4: I want to google something before we turn the tape over.
Speaker 1: No I did such good friends with Dallas.
Speaker 5: He always said he was.
Speaker 4: When Dulles reached out to Granddad, he was involved in the oss, so he Dulles would have known if Granddad was stationed in Chile. I mean I remember him ignoring Dallas's call and at the time South America was targeted by the Nazis. Really yeah, I just pulled up declassified files released in twenty seventeen. They're all about a Nazi spir ring headquartered in Chile.
Speaker 1: Nazi spiring headquartered in Chili and Dad was there.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 4: So what so you're saying Dulls called Granddad because he needed regional asset.
Speaker 6: That's my title.
Speaker 8: The OSS already approved it, Dullas.
Speaker 3: What about something like Nazi Hunter? You know that get you going?
Speaker 8: Monster Slayer was pitched in the room.
Speaker 11: Believe it or not, Tommy, you know I hate it when you call me Tommy Allan, Okay, so what are we doing in a dance club?
Speaker 8: Well, if I'm in Chile, I'm drinking red wine and picking up loose women at every opportunity, charming as always, Alan, I god mother a pirl. What Yeah, I got a bite sized microphone.
Speaker 3: In my ear. I'm recording all of this. Wow Ah.
Speaker 8: I'm not gonna expose all the OSS secrets, Tommy, but I am gonna let you play.
Speaker 3: With this thing.
Speaker 6: Huh.
Speaker 9: Just be discreet under your menu.
Speaker 3: Okay, there we go.
Speaker 8: Stick that box deep in your pocket and you ink that warnup into your ear.
Speaker 3: It's bulky.
Speaker 8: That bulger will have the women running, my friend, But that's not why we're here, Dulles. Chilean red wine is rich and complicated, but the men sitting over there by the dance floor don't look.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they are more complex. Hey, yeah you remember Guinness.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, she's gonna lead you to the dance floor right past our target observed, But do not make eye contact, Just stare at her racks.
Speaker 3: All Come on, follow me.
Speaker 13: I like to drink red wine, not wear it.
Speaker 12: You speak English, right, I'm dominic?
Speaker 10: You are Tom Slick To answer your question, I speak English to people I like, and German to people I loth enter.
Speaker 5: Your friend over there told us I don't speak at all.
Speaker 8: Rue.
Speaker 3: So you've been clocking the Nazis.
Speaker 5: Too since nineteen thirty three when they shut up here.
Speaker 7: Smart.
Speaker 5: But they're you seeing us? How there's a target here. If they hit it, they win the war. Wow, and they're close. You see that one guy with the cap on, scrowny and big ears.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he's here for a reason.
Speaker 3: Who is he?
Speaker 5: Heinz Lane.
Speaker 10: Your friend will have intel on him, but he won't know where he keeps ex playing.
Speaker 3: Oh you got some moves.
Speaker 5: You asked me, Todd.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, but I was kind of thinking I was gonna lead.
Speaker 10: As the bartender Chiekie for a piscos hour with one marchino cherry.
Speaker 5: Okay, and I'll see you in thirteen hours.
Speaker 12: How what is he doing?
Speaker 4: I think they're kissing?
Speaker 5: Oh was he with Grandma?
Speaker 8: Then?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: This was around nineteen forty one.
Speaker 5: So when did they get married?
Speaker 1: Nineteen forty six?
Speaker 5: Okay, so no, thank you Jesus.
Speaker 1: I would have cost me a lot in therapy bills.
Speaker 7: A pisco sour pleads with, here's one Merchino cherry.
Speaker 3: So she found one?
Speaker 9: What Tommy spy?
Speaker 8: One?
Speaker 9: Oh one?
Speaker 3: Don't suck face with a swallow? She suck my face? How was it?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 1: She's one of you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's one of mine, but she can't stand me. So wait a second.
Speaker 6: I was a ploy?
Speaker 3: Does I'm the Nazi hunter?
Speaker 10: Biscos sour?
Speaker 6: Oh come on? What was that?
Speaker 3: Hey, jackass? Clean this up? You have a napkin? What can lose us? Oh? Yeah, I will use this.
Speaker 8: Do you have club soda?
Speaker 3: Is that the word in your language? Dulls? It's a map the napkin. Wait, I'm in charge, so I can see it's a map. Oh the target?
Speaker 6: Shit?
Speaker 3: What target?
Speaker 1: What is he talkings?
Speaker 4: Tam got caught, it's unwound, try and fix it.
Speaker 1: Do you think the target is the American embassy or maybe the US.
Speaker 4: Troops the Nazis were after something that would end the war.
Speaker 5: Oh so it's got to be a biggie huge.
Speaker 4: But what what treasure did South America have that Hitler wanted?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, it's working.
Speaker 3: The Panama Canal, that's the target.
Speaker 7: Of course, it makes perfect sense that Hitler's targeting the Panama Canal. It's where we shuttle all our troops and supplies from the Atlantic to the Pacific.
Speaker 3: Where is she?
Speaker 8: I missed a knight of sleep traveling from Chile to Columbia. The least she could do is be on.
Speaker 5: Time, slick shit? You trusted me?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Where did you come from there? Your hijacking?
Speaker 8: Look, don let me clear the air. I don't know why we can't be friends. I mean, you seem pretty close to Tommy here.
Speaker 5: Who's right to have me keel in nineteen thirty eight, Alan.
Speaker 3: And you have never left. Let me live it down. Where's the plane.
Speaker 5: Over there refueling?
Speaker 6: That's close?
Speaker 3: Too close? Do they have eyes on us?
Speaker 5: They can't see you. They're in the hangar with the engineers. It's just the two of them.
Speaker 10: Heines and my paramour Wielburd you're paramore I didn't know.
Speaker 3: How else do you think she gets her secrets?
Speaker 10: Wilbur's in love with Hines, and I'm just a beard here. Okay, that's why he didn't blink when I kissed you. Oh but yes, that's how I get my secrets.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 7: So these two lovebirds are going to take down the Panama Canal.
Speaker 10: Latin America has been the Nazi's last priority, but when he realized how important the canal was to the US and Britain, he has a plan.
Speaker 5: To blow it up.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I knew that.
Speaker 10: Heines is an expert pilot, so as soon as he was inductrinated, he was sent here.
Speaker 3: So they've got an aerial bomb.
Speaker 10: No, they've got three bombs. That's what they're finishing up in that bunker with the engineers.
Speaker 5: And there's a doodle Bog attached to the plane.
Speaker 3: Such an adorable name for such a vicious assassin. A torpedo with wings.
Speaker 8: You can leave a hole in the earth twenty to thirty meters wide.
Speaker 10: They'll be using the doodle bug to blow up the cat in them. If that's destroyed, it not only shuts off the canal's passage, it'll mutilate hundreds of soldiers.
Speaker 8: Wonderful Roosevelt has always loathed me. But after I fix this, well he'll pretend to like me.
Speaker 7: Wait so this is all happening now?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Oh my god, Slick, that's why.
Speaker 3: You were here? Was that not clear? What about you?
Speaker 5: No, I'm done.
Speaker 3: But you know these guys you have the intel now you do?
Speaker 8: Oh, Dominique, I remember now why I tried to have you killed.
Speaker 3: Look, Lenique, motherfucker.
Speaker 10: There's a still away section in the back of the plane. You have a ten minute window to get in there.
Speaker 3: And hid go go Okay, okay, but I'm the boss.
Speaker 6: Let's go.
Speaker 3: Let's all remember that.
Speaker 8: Okay, Dominique, come on all right, by mom?
Speaker 5: Are you doing?
Speaker 1: I just need a minute to sort this out. So Dad is now working for the CIA.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, the OSS, which then became the CIA in nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 5: So he's a spy.
Speaker 3: M sounds like it. Wow.
Speaker 1: Was always rumored that he was some sort of secret agent, but he just laughing.
Speaker 10: All.
Speaker 4: Well, now you know granddad was a good old fashioned Nazi hunter.
Speaker 1: Oh he's a goddamn hero.
Speaker 3: Who go shit, hear that? Oh yeah, I hear it. Dominated her part. You think she took out all three bombs in that hangar?
Speaker 11: Uh huh and the Nazis from the sound of it, Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 3: Oh good. It's a scrawny one, not the big one with the eye patch.
Speaker 15: Shit.
Speaker 3: He's the one who knows how to fly. Oh god, we're taking off you fly right?
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 3: I'm an executive slick. I shine bullshit for a living. Sometimes I'm allowed to kill people.
Speaker 14: So you don't fly.
Speaker 3: I don't fly. I get flown.
Speaker 6: Damn it.
Speaker 3: You don't find well.
Speaker 6: I guess there's always a time to learn.
Speaker 3: I'm headed with the Panama Cana. Oh Operation Pelican. Good God, that's cute. It's like something from a children's book. Yuck, my hands up's pretty good. Why what would you do?
Speaker 9: All the eagle or that's a.
Speaker 12: Six hundred ko made up from the dogging.
Speaker 13: That's my cue, Tom Toms time dash, I said the fuck off schweinhund schwife.
Speaker 3: You listen to me.
Speaker 7: Forty five minutes, this plane is gonna drop a bob that could make the swastika the new American flag.
Speaker 3: That's the plan, clod Puller.
Speaker 7: We're over the Pacific now, and you're outnumbered.
Speaker 14: So we're gonna drop that doodle here.
Speaker 1: And finds this plain you dunky that makes you think, Hey, well nose dive into the ocean and kill us all.
Speaker 7: You're a Nazi, you bleed narcissism.
Speaker 6: Hey, what's that?
Speaker 3: Oh god, he's just activated a bomb. It's in the cockpit where we will shit. If you touch me, I would pass it.
Speaker 7: No, now we're in control, but you can't fly.
Speaker 6: Dulls Chance arrives.
Speaker 5: Act it's Blair. I gotta take this.
Speaker 4: Come on live, this is life or that mom spoiler alert, granddad lives.
Speaker 3: We're here.
Speaker 12: Just play it.
Speaker 5: I want to see how he almost died.
Speaker 4: Okay, Blair will text if it's important.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's go.
Speaker 6: Oh we're gonna die. We're gonna die.
Speaker 14: Tom Slick Mystery Hunter is a production of School of Humans and iHeart Podcasts starring Owen Wilson as Tom Slick, Cissy Spasick as Claire Slick, Skyler Fisk as Live Slick. Written and directed by Caroline Slaughter, story editor Jeb Stewart. Executive produced by Owen Wilson, Sissy Spacek, Skyler Fiske, Jeb Stewart, Caroline Slaughter, Brian Lavin, l C. Crowley, Brandon Barr, and Virginia Prescott. Produced and assistant directed by Amelia Brock. Original score, sound design, mixing and mastering by Jesse Niswanger, Casting by Daisy Church and Caroline Slaughter Sad coordination by Daisy Church and Julia Christgau. Promo and trailers by Carl Catele. Special thanks to Catherine Nixon Cook. Recording engineers are Tyler Klang and Casey Pegram. For Iheartmet.
Speaker 15: Episode two cast, Dave Willis as Alan Dulles, Selinas Taribio as Dominique, Ava Davis as Blair, Tiffany Morgan as Bernice, Fredis, Jackson Beals as Machine Gun Kelly, David Devrees as Heinz Lang, maxell Amador as Chickie the Bartender, Tim Heller as Jay Edgar Hoover, Mike Schatz as Agent Roper, and the introductory voiceover with additional roles voiced by David Devrees, Michael Mao, and Phil Clark.
Speaker 2: If you're enjoying the show, share it with everyone you know, and don't forget to rate and review in your favorite podcast app. Tune in again next week wherever you get your most thrilling adventure stories,