Speaker 1: School of Humans. Hello, filth heads, We're doing a very special bonus episode coming out on a Friday, because I wanted to address something that's very important for the show, and that is the theme song. Which the theme song is obviously everyone's favorite part of American filth and it's perhaps the most remarkable podcast theme that has ever existed, and so I wanted to go behind the scenes with the composer of the song, Jesse Niswanger.
Speaker 2: Jesse, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Hello, how's it going good?
Speaker 1: That's amazing. That's such good news. And I think before we get into what Jesse ended up making, let's listen to the original demo of what I sent to you of what I thought would be an interesting way to start the show. Listeners, you're going to be able to hear some pretty notable differences between this original version and that what Jesse ended up coming up with.
Speaker 2: So here it is.
Speaker 1: This is the original thing that I had sent to Jesse. Yeah, there's a lot going on.
Speaker 2: Okay, we got that. The bridge section is interesting.
Speaker 1: It was an interesting choice.
Speaker 3: Uh Yeah, the ding's my favorite part. I just love how it's more and more on hinge as it goes along.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like this is like most of my own personal composition. Is it just it gets more and more mentally ill throughout the entire song. But yeah, I just wanted to before you know we I feel like everyone's heard the actual official theme of the show, but I want you to when you first heard this version of the song, what did you think and why did you think? We're sort of the essential things to update and change to make it up perhaps listenable.
Speaker 2: I think maybe.
Speaker 3: That's the term we use. Well, there's some stuff I took out because it just made me laugh, and maybe that's not the goal of the song, like the which I just loved it, the club siren, the club Siren. Yeah, and it made me want to do things in the future like add ridiculous electronics to it or already I already thought of a few different versions when I was working on this. But yeah, and then because I feel like you're kind of doing that a little bit with the hip hop drums, but also in a funny, simple beat, it was nice, and so I just took those out and I took what you had, and I some sad effects. I have a fancy air version of So I did that, and then I just cleaned up some harmonies, made it sound a little better and less ridiculous. But I saw the vision in there, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's great, that's great collaborations. At least you can you can see an impression of the thing that it should be at the end of the day. Yeah, I do think, Yeah, definitely the penny whistle sound that I was using towards the end of it, especially when I just basically I think I just made it like a third or a fifth, but then I didn't like actually assign the right. See, I don't know much about music theory because when I was when I used to go to band camp. One year I went to band camp and they had music theory classes and they were they had classes A through E, and E was like the lowest, and I got into E. And then the next year you would think I would have gotten better, but they actually had more people going to the CA so they had A through F and then I was put in F.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it got worse instead of going well exactly.
Speaker 1: So that's my theory background. But I do I do appreciate that you found a different penny whistle sound.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I just took what your you know, your third or your fifth harmony. And I don't have too too much music theory. I just have a good ear. So I just like, Okay, what's the next harmony? Okay, this is the wrong note. A lot of it is just like in the piano role, like moving note to note.
Speaker 1: H Yeah, But I think I also wanted to talk to you because I mostly wanted to do this bonus episode because you did a remix of the theme and I do think it's the song of the summer. I think it's giving brats. It's very brat summer. It's also giving rat summer, you know. And I think what I was trying to do with this one because my face, well, I will say the American filth theme song, I think it might actually come a second place if we're looking at all of TV and podcasting with the White Lotus season two theme song, right, I wanted something that was like, uh, it was the theme, but it just kept getting crazier and crazier, and then you think it's done, but then it keeps getting amped up. And so what was your sort of inspiration as you were making this remix?
Speaker 3: The biggest I mean, I definitely took what you said about the white hose thing to make it bigger and bigger. But the biggest thing is the tempo. It's at two hundred bpm, and so a lot of like EDM genres have a certain tempo, and if I cut that in half, like a one hundred, that's more like hip hop. So I tried to say what Joan I wanted to do, because I like house and techno were way too slow for the super fast song, so all I could do was drum and bass and ended up working beautifully with the rhythm. I think it's really funny, and it's even faster than normal drum based it's just ridiculous. And then at the end I just did like a power pop, like crazy hyper pop techno thing at the end because it was so fast and ridiculous. It reminds me of I don't know if I thought of this as I was making it, but the remix sounds like there's this DJ named kid Koala and he did a drum and based thing on the show Yo Gabba Gabba. This is what that reminds me of. It's like a really hyper drum and bass, but also like kind of kiddish and kind of Christmas y.
Speaker 1: Randomly, but you always gotta get a little bit of Christmas and things. Which that's fun too because when I was a college DJ, I was people would just call me Yo Gabba gabba, and so then I was what was I Y two g.
Speaker 2: DJ name to adapt Yo Gabba gabba.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: So it's all full circle, you know what.
Speaker 1: It's almost like the American Filth theme song. It's almost like a metaphysical or sort of spiritual song. I think it will be played in churches one day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which version do you think the original?
Speaker 1: I hope. I don't want to toot my own horn. I don't want to siren my own club siren, but right maybe yeah. And so American Filth listeners, we're going to play the song to end this little bonus episode and so that you can keep replaying it again again. And if any of my listeners are DJs, stop listening to the podcast. I don't want DJ fans, But you can take this and you can play it at the club. So I think that's important. I think American Filth to help our promotion so that we can do sort of a second season, is we need to get the theme song at the club. So if you know a DJ, if you know someone at da club, please send them the song and we're gonna play it so that you can have the song of the Summer. And Jesse, thank you so much for coming on to this bonus episode of American Filth and explaining your process, because this theme song is obviously one of the most important pieces of recorded music in the twenty first century. Thanks for having me, all right, and here's the remix.
Speaker 2: I have a good Friday.
Speaker 1: School of Humans.