Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Danny McCrae, Hecma Harrison, and new he scrugs.
Speaker 2: Players Lounge, Let's ride, Let's do training camp petition. We are here at the Star and Frisco. The team is out in Oxtar, California. That's Barry Church, former Cowboys safety. Is Hecma Harrison in the building. K State Wildcat give me that? North Texas Mean Green can give me that. Now I play, I play with uh color color ads. I'm just merely new.
Speaker 3: I think the like ten time Emmy winner right here, ten time eleven.
Speaker 2: But up, shut up. I just I'm just here to facilitate uh training camp battles. We didn't get into that. So I'm gonna start with Heckler here. Heckman rose it up first. So where are you looking at first for training camp battles for the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: I mean, think, think about this, guys right now. There are so many positions that you have question marks on. So I'm gonna leave enough meat on this bone for everybody, all right, but right now, I think it's the defensive line. You talk about this deep dan Quinn and his transition with this team and the way that.
Speaker 5: He's elevated them.
Speaker 4: I think the defensive line has been that one position where you've had a crowded and talented room, but.
Speaker 5: You just hadn't had that guy emerged.
Speaker 4: You've had the old Sah Diggie Zeuas, you had the uh Jonathan Hankins, that interior right, interior interior guys. And I think, you know, the biggest question for me is where is Neville Gallipmore going to fit into this?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 4: Nevill gall no more and also Chauncey Golston, because these are rotational guys, and when you.
Speaker 6: Look at what they did in the draft and you look at bringing.
Speaker 4: Back guys like Dante Fowler and just the rotation that they like to go with. To me, the most intriguing battle is that one with Chauncey Ghoston competing for that time he was on the roster for off. You know, he made the fifty three all season long, but didn't dress out a lot of times. So look, that's gonna be intriguing gonna be interesting, especially him and his production. As this dropped off. They asked him to gain some weight. He came in as an edge. He gained that weight, but his production dropped because they did give him the same amount of snaps. So I'm interested to see how that rotation is gonna evolve this year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's gonna be real interesting with that interior d line.
Speaker 5: And man, you know, I was.
Speaker 6: So high on Neville Gallimore when he first came in.
Speaker 3: I thought he was gonna be that next Stud three technique right in there, but it just didn't kind of pan out that way. So he's definitely gonna have to battle to make the roster let alone playtime. I believe he's gonna have to battle for that. But for me, my position battle it's got to be in the secondary. It's got to be in the secondary. And we know the two outside corner spots are locked up. We know Gilmore is gonna be there, we know Diggs is gonna be there, we know they got that three headed monster at safety. But to me, it's gonna be that nickel position where you got a young Duran Bland who came in as a rookie, and to me, he you know, he had his ups and downs, but for the most part he played outstanding.
Speaker 6: You know, five.
Speaker 3: Interceptions out there as a rookie. He seemed like a ball guy, understood it. The moment didn't seem too big for him out there, So you got him right there. And then you also got Jordan Lewis who had before his injury, he was playing stellar ball at that nickel position. Rake Blitzer can understand the run fits, he can cover well, so he can cover all the faces as well.
Speaker 6: That to me, is gonna be a huge battle in.
Speaker 3: That secondary because I know Jordan Lows, I know his type of personality. He's not gonna just want to give up that starting role. He doesn't want to be a rotational guy because, trust me, in the secondary, you gotta be out there. You can't, you know, rotate around. You gotta feel the game. You gotta feel what the quarterback likes to do on first, second, third down, and it's hard to rotate that. So, knowing his personality and knowing the guy that dron Bland is, that's gonna be a great battle on the secondary.
Speaker 2: Here's kind of the differences between what you guys spoke about. You're talking about a position battle where everybody making the team.
Speaker 5: They're gonna be on the spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you talking about here, there's some there's some guys on the bubble.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: So when you talk about I thought about Quentin Bohannah. Absolutely, Quentin Bohanna is here fighting for a job. Chauncey Golston's here fighting for a job. Neville Gallimore The Times of headn't dress last year, He's out here fighting for a job. I mean, I'm thinking that. You know, we got Mozzie Smith first round pick, Diggy Zoo for third round pick, who was their best defensive tackle last year, Jonathan Hankins. Then you got Junior Fan Joko, who Dan Quinn wanted in his draft save something.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Good over here, man say if you're you're Bohannah, You Chauncey Golston, you Gallimore.
Speaker 4: I mean, especially for Quinn Bohannah. Last year he had some production. You saw him come in on a lot of packages. But I think that dan Quinn his defense has been so versatile. You saw when he's has that package where he's coming after you. He goes with Armstrong, Williams, Parsons and Lawrence I mean, I mean he's switching, he's multiple in the way when he goes with the jumbo.
Speaker 6: Package, he goes with Bohanna Handkers. Now you have Massie Smith.
Speaker 4: Guys like that. I mean, you're absolutely corrected. I mean, and that's a good problem to have, a good problem.
Speaker 7: Tools.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean we've.
Speaker 4: Come from the twenty twenty Dallas Cowboys defense that Look, man, you have some guys that were you know, along the way. I'm come on now, I'm just saying it was we were bad upfront. I don't want to call these guys but now but now no release resistance, skate down. I wasn't going there. But what I'm saying is it's a big difference, a big difference now. It really is a big difference now the team is playing, I mean the way that they have this allen stacked up. You bring in a guy like Jonathan Hankins and you see his versatility. But I think Mazie Smith that draft pick, I mean maybe a surprise people, but when you think about what he represents to this defense, if he could absolutely be that space eater that they need him to be, everything else is gonna come behind that. I think the greatest weakness even when you talk about the secondary dron Bland.
Speaker 6: Has already proved to you what he can he can boll I mean guys like nashn Wright.
Speaker 4: Really is that those are the guys that you need to start saying, Okay, can't you take the next step? The bubble is really hot up under these guys, you know, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're fire. These guys were.
Speaker 5: You know that's locked in.
Speaker 2: You know, I guess they put him up put the ross. They'd be like in you know, Blue, untouchable. The guys, these guys, you're right, they're made men. They're on the team here. These other guys, I said, if you're quittin Bohanna, you know, Gallimore Golsten, I mean you truly are you truly are having to put together a training camp to make this team. And you know from being a free agent, you can to make sure your tape is out here in these preseason games for other people to see in case they decide that they don't want you. I mean, go back when they drafted John Ridgeway at Arkansas and then they ended up letting him go and he went on and started getting for Washington. You can't get got here on this d line and so this has been an area that that must be improved upon. But when you bring in a guy like Mozie Smith, he's here, so that just means there's one more spot that's just taken. And then when Dan Quinn says, I want Junior for Hoko, sorry, Dan's getting it. Unless you go up there and cut up the dam.
Speaker 5: It's over.
Speaker 2: You know it's it's truly. So we're going to see good players get cut off this football team. And we've seen that the past few seasons and since Will McClay has been here. And that's not us blowing smoke at all. This is just the truth. You look at the fact that who the Cowboys have been able to draft and how they've gone out and got free agents here. This is one of the top three teams in the National Football League the last ten years at going out and getting Pro Bowl All Pro talent in the draft and identifying people who can play. They know how to get the talent here. So the defensive line has been discussive, the defensive tackle has been every knee, too many people running all over the Cowboys. Last year, despite beating the Bears and the Lions, those two teams had good rushing.
Speaker 6: I mean green Bay went for closer to two hundreds.
Speaker 2: I green Bay did. I mean Rodgers only through fourteen passes in that game til the fourth quarter. And then you go back to the Jacksonville game when Jacksonville got rolling in the second half. So stopping the run has been a must. I go back to something Warren Sappo always says, back don't work without the front. You know, the Cowboys secondary is good. If you can improve the defensive line, that's a scary sight.
Speaker 6: But that's been the biggest question.
Speaker 4: And I guess for you, man, I think you've played with some great defensive linemen, so you know how that works, especially with your secondary. And the point basically that you're approve it. I think when you add the players in and we're gonna talk about those editions, but I think the secondary is much better when you have that pass rushing. We saw that in the twenty twenty one when Dan quinnz first. I mean, look, they were causing those turnovers, those interceptions. They set the record in the league with being one of those high turnover teams. But this year it just seems as though if you can get that front line to stop and not having those two hundred yard production games that they saw by some of the league's best rushers. They're gonna have to shut that down because who do we keep running into? Who do we keep one of the better rushing teams in the league. And so until we get that figured out, that's gonna be our Achilles hell, because it's a hundred you guys, one hundred percent right Russian cover.
Speaker 5: They work together.
Speaker 3: And the teams that I've been on that weren't very good that defensive line, I mean there was holes all through there, and as a secondary guy, you're not really focused on your job. You're not focused on covering your receiver because you're like, man, if this is running back slips through here, I'm gonna have to make an open field tackle.
Speaker 5: So with you got a front seven.
Speaker 3: A defensive line that can control to run like that and then get after a quarterback, it allows dan Quinn to do so much in the secondary guys at corner, at the safety position, they can have their eyes at the quarterback because they know that ball's got to come out fast, So you're able to get interceptions that way. And I think right now, this defensive line, like you said, it's probably the deepens it's been in years. We know the edges under attack with parsons, with d Law I mean Filer, all those guys out there. If Mozzie Smith and that crew on the interior can get going, it could.
Speaker 5: Be a scary site for this defense.
Speaker 2: So training camp, we've not seen them put pads on yet the NFL rules. So I'm leaving on Monday Tuesday. Okay, they're gonna get after it. Pads and pads are on, and I'm looking forward to that because this is where we start to see football. Everything we've seen now it's been nice. It's ota when guys start popping, start hitting, we see things get done. So obviously we clearly want to see what's Mozzie Smith got. I want to see what junior Federl Coas got. I want to see if Josh Ball makes the improvement on the offensive side of the football that Mike McCarthy leaves. He can they love Will, Let's go so Matt Will. Let's go over another offensive tackle that they've drafted. He was having a good camp last year until he got hurt, dealt with the shoulder. So what does he do now? This to me is where you start to really make your football team December ready, because I'm sorry, Church, in today's world, when you add seventeen games to me, guy's gonna be hurt. It's in fact, you have to have depth in the national football No.
Speaker 5: I take you back to last season.
Speaker 4: Jason Peters started at left tackle for the Doubts Cowboy, I mean a forty year old left tackle. So we know what it's like when you don't have the trust in the depth that you have in Josh. Ball has been given an opportunity to continue to get better. He been on the pub whatever it was with let's go to with the shoulder and durs as you spoke about.
Speaker 5: But that's the one thing, and I think.
Speaker 4: That's why this whole holdout situation that they're having to deal with with Zach is unnerving because you recognize you need your unit playing together right now. You need these guys to come into the season rolling. You don't need any disruption between that unit.
Speaker 6: And I'm not.
Speaker 2: Worried about Mark Zach gonna get done.
Speaker 6: Could have got to.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's no there's no other way from Zach right to.
Speaker 2: Take a little bit time you talking about that thing right now, I'll see in August. But I just I think this is excellent from the standpoint. You can get some guys some some playing time in here right now. And when Zach is here, Zach will be Zach Martin.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean, They'll right go ahead.
Speaker 6: I'm not and I'm not at all worried about his player.
Speaker 2: I want to see guys. I want to see guys practice right now, get some reps, get out there, show people what you can do at those especially within those guards and tackle spots. And know, n Steel, they're saying, looks good, but let's see how good you look when you put on the paths. Tyron Smith is expected to be the left tackle the game. We know at the end of the day, I'm just death we have on that line. Let's man got the best tackle in the game, man, So to me line with a new old.
Speaker 5: Line, coach true, got rid of your man so which I.
Speaker 7: Was kind of.
Speaker 2: So these so for me that that's what I'm looking forward to when I get to camp. I want to go and see the pads pop and see what guys can do. Really looking forward to that more than anything that's real football.
Speaker 3: I mean right now, you got on you know, like you said, you got on jerseys and shorts and everybody looks great and shirt shorts out there. You gotta work out warriors, everybody looks amazing. But when you put the pads on an extra weight, that heat you're hitting back and.
Speaker 4: Forth, that's when we see real bud. And then you have a defense with all the experience that they have. I worry if they even gonna be able to get reps off with this this defense, the way that they're coming back and dan Quinn's system, I mean, man, this is gonna this is gonna be difficult for the offensive line. They're gonna get a lot of reps, and guys like Tyler Smith is gonna get all the words. Guys like that, they're gonna get a lot of reps. So, I mean, I think as much as you want to see guys like Josh Ball take the next step, be that backup if we need them, I mean that's necessary. You bring up an important point because you want to see these guys develop, But bigger than that. Tyler Smith in his second year, I mean, he had a good he had a good rookie season, but I think we all feel that there's a level to his game that can even get better, especially with them solidifying that he's going to be your left guards.
Speaker 5: So he's gonna be the guard, right, so.
Speaker 6: Posiness, Yes, he's your guard.
Speaker 2: Got Tyron Smith over at left tackle. These draft picks have to start to show you something. I do know people, there's some folks who wanted to see the Cowboys use higher picks an offensive line, and they like, we took Ball, we took what. Let's go, let's see what they can do. So Ball's first year was wiped out through injury. Last year was his first year playing. He's pulls out there and you're like, hm, but this now.
Speaker 5: Is year two.
Speaker 2: We've got to see something. Well, let's go, this is going first year gone, Now this is his second. Let's start to see something. Kelvin Joseph, how do you improve? Jaylen Tolbert, how do you imp? I mean you're looking at this team. For me when I'm going out there, I'm looking at where these draft picks they've got that they've taken. Who you say, Okay, what are we seeing? Tom and Andrews to say, by year three, we have to see something, and that was what Bill Parcells also went. By two, we've got to see something. So that's my main thing is really looking at these guys today. At one point in time said we believe in you. They shot right, you know, Okay, what are you going to do? Because you played in this league. You know, by year three, they kind of they have a thought process about who you are. And for some of these guys that had, you know, basically a health year and didn't play like well that's going the ball, they're starting to they need to see something. Calvin Joseph, I need to see something this year.
Speaker 3: Because he can't just be on special teams either. I mean, even though he did his thing on special teams. He ball made a lot of plays on special teams. But they've drafted in what second round is supposed to go in there?
Speaker 4: Tell me if you've heard that before. Cox another guy that needs to up his play.
Speaker 5: But I mean, you're you're absolutely right.
Speaker 4: But then think about the guys that are the second year guys like Marque's Bell that's getting an opportunity now to play because of injury. Israel mccuamo obviously, you man, you're one of the first guys that's called Israel mcuamoo and said, look, this guy is his production is there, and I think that dan Quinn loves his play as that backup guy, the other guy that at that depth. But there are other guys like Marque's Bell that are very intriguing, Like he was on the fifty three all season long, healthy scratches, not not able to get on the field. How do you incorporate guys like that because you just can't hoard that talent for.
Speaker 3: Guys like that, you know, like with Kwama, who's like a Swiss army knife out there. And dan Quinn loves guys that can have you know, position flex, he can play nickel, he can play safe, he can do all that stuff.
Speaker 5: Hopefully Marquis Bell.
Speaker 6: Can do the same thing.
Speaker 5: We'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: I think a Bell is someone who you know, he played at Florida A and M. Yeah, you're making that jump here, and it takes some times not easy. So many times we just want guys to just jump in here and go. Jerry Wrice his first year was a struggle. Yeah, Troy Polamalo's first year with the Steelers, it was a struggle. These two guys have turned out to be Hall of Fame players, but so many times we just if a guy's not doing it from day one. Oh he's nott this, He's not. It's just how life works for good football and that life works. It takes. It's an adjustment and coming from Florida and m making the adjustment, figuring out what Dan wants and the other part, agma, is there a lot of these guys who have to learn how to do simple things like learn how to sleep, eat, the way you go about being a professional hydrate like, there's a lot of stuff that comes into to being a football player that it takes certain guys, you know, a minute to get to Ezekiel Elliott. You know, Boom came in here, ran ran away with it, Dak because a rookie ran away with It's not like that for everyone. I think so many times fans want that if you're a player, is not that, then they want to save the guy's a bus. He's not any good. It's just not how it works for everyone.
Speaker 6: Look at Terror still, I mean when he came in that rookie year and they threw him.
Speaker 3: Into the fire. Look how much he struggled out there. I mean he was on the bubble going into that second year. Is he gonna make the team is he not. We saw he you know, dedicated itself to get better at his craft and he went out there and he had a heck of a second year. So hopefully he can follow that up after this ACL injury. But to me, that's just an example of guys that you know, come in, start off slow, but have the ability to develop.
Speaker 2: And it become comfortable.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is I'll give it to baseball terms. I was talking to Marcus Simon and even Corey Seeger. You know, they signed those big deals with the Rangers, and it took him a year. They talked about after him. Yeah, yeah, it took a year to get comfortable. Well, imagine you just going from playing swackball to coming up to the National Football League.
Speaker 5: Man, that's that's a gap.
Speaker 2: That's a difference. It's a jump. And even for you coming from Toledo to come here, man, there's a jump. I think about Tony Romo. Tony Romo, a lot of people forget was the Walter Payton Player of the Year at Eastern Illinois, which is you know, their Heightsman, that level took Tony a minute to figure this thing out here. So we always want to boom if you're not. We want a microwave society here on everything. You can't do players like that. And as long as dan Quinn keep saying I like the player, then I'm gona.
Speaker 6: Rolling with it.
Speaker 4: And I think for me, what we're pointing out is just guys getting opportunities now in training camps, you know, and you look at guys like Dak when you know the opportunity rose, what did he do?
Speaker 6: He roll?
Speaker 4: He took full advantage. And there are guys on the roster that right now, due to injury, are getting that opportunity. Marquis Bell is just one of them, and he's in the long list of guys that have to take advantage. When a guy goes down, you have to show what you have. Kelvin Joseph is in that same is in that same name bracket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Donovan Wilson down a little bit, So that's where Bell is going to get his opportunity. Zach Martin your right guard out, So that means the opportunity for other people. So take advantage of these reps and this opportunity to show your wares and go. Now we have less preseason games, you know, instead of having four, you've got three, so there's there's more urgency to make these training camp practices and then you don't have so many padded practices to count. So that those are some of the some of the things that I look at here when we come back. The impact two guys that they have imported into this football team, I absolutely love. I had a thought of what I hope they can do. I'm seeing it already again and he had a full training camp and ox Star, you Berry Church, hech Mayers, Undews shows, Danny McRae ad on assignment. They'll be back with us next week. Right here on the players laft.
Speaker 8: Once he use the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products. Check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com, slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker tim Bucks free shipping.
Speaker 9: I'm Duk Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few types away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life. For crypto pros, rookies, and anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes.
Speaker 2: It easy to own a piece of the future.
Speaker 9: Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, trusted by America's team.
Speaker 10: Hi, I'm Danny McCrae, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with's Smoothie King and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound? That's the sound of you and everyone else absolutely loving New smoothie bowls from Smoothie King and.
Speaker 6: Whoo Me Too.
Speaker 10: These smoothie bowls start with USII and Pataya and are handcrafted with fresh topics like sliced bananas, sweetberries, crunchy Purely Elizabeth granola, and it savory peanut butter drizzle. New smoothie bowls only at Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pre game sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 2: You want to stay at.
Speaker 7: The team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex's and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 2: Back to the players Loud Hey Yo, louds players louds Bury Church for a Cowboys safety instructs Danny McCrae with he's on assignment, so he's at working.
Speaker 4: I gotta read to if you want to, ohad way, my bad. The Dallas Cowboys Training Cap twenty twenty three is here, brought to you by American Airlines. Watch the team practice on select dates from today through August fifteenth, and sunny Oxfar California mission is free. For more information, visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash training camp.
Speaker 2: All right, you go and train and can't go d f W to Santa Barbara.
Speaker 5: That's the that's the way to go. But is it more expensive?
Speaker 2: It's worth it.
Speaker 5: It's worth it.
Speaker 2: S all right, Okay, I've done the l A X. Go to l A X.
Speaker 5: Man, it's like that.
Speaker 2: Car place off site. It's a challenge, man. It's a big old international airport. Man, it's a challenge trying to get through L A X and your bags all that. Then you got to make the drive for the four oh five, one of America's busiest freeways, four oh five to the one on one. Then you got to go all the way. So by the time you talk about just one time, one time we were at the Hurts, we.
Speaker 5: Got a car, our car, Ain't it?
Speaker 2: The only good thing about going to the l A X hit the.
Speaker 4: Roscoe which roscos is a question right, okay, right over there, Obama.
Speaker 2: But but I don't. I don't need it that bad. Plus the airport is just it pristine, the experience. I'm just I don't. I'm not gonna say what I know what the costs are at the top of my head sounds priced because the TV statue that was on their cars.
Speaker 5: Sounds pricey.
Speaker 2: Rental cars right off site, walk up, get your bad walk on over this right on site. So it's easy, it's hit the easy bat So I'm trying to get people out traveling with the people on the easy button man.
Speaker 4: I mean, you've been everywhere, so you're giving people the right sound advice.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm listening.
Speaker 2: Or Burbank, that's your thing, because Burbank's in the valley. So you go to Burbank. Now, usually got to make a stop. But when you hit Burbank rental car place, you can, you can, you can you walk to it and you're already on the one on once you avoid the whole four or five and you go straight on up the camp. If you value time in la you never know the accident, something sets you back, so you value your time boom like the players. The players fly in Lax. Gotta make that. They'll tell you some long bus ride all the way.
Speaker 4: And you're flying what American Express America as.
Speaker 5: All right, yes, all right.
Speaker 2: Two players that the Cowboys got through trades that I absolutely love. We all love that they brought them in, brought them in, but I love the impact of making already. Stephan Galli, former Defensive Player of the Year. We saw him playing last year with the Colts. On the Cowboys played the Colts taking the press. He was an impact player there. And then Brandon Cooks. And it's interesting Gallimore and Cooks, I said, Sevin Gilmore. Gilmore and Cooks both played for the Patriots, played on the Super Bowl team together, and and here they are the Cowboys and you've got dig saying, all right, I'm already looking at him. He's up at six o'clock doing the way he's doing. And then Stephan did n't. But it still reminds me of Rodney Harrison.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: He was checking Digs for what he was eating. He's nameling some gummy bears.
Speaker 5: Got them. When you're young, you think you can do anything.
Speaker 2: Room Rodney, Rodney Harrison and Teddy Bruski would check the young guys who brought in fast food. Oh that's a gee, that's that's that's gonna help us win. You're doing that. So having a guy who's an established veteran Super Bowl champion with a young player that you just gave a boatload of money to, who has a who has a really good career ahead of him, and digs and this guy makes him sharper. Wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And when I wanted Von Miller here and the Cowboys decided not to do anything going Buffalo. I saw what Miller helped do for Aaron Donald. It helps when you have a guy who's won a ring, who knows what to do. I mean, we're not looking at Stefan and just questioning anything about this guy's a baller.
Speaker 3: He's a without a doubt, a baller. He's a pros pro. He's a technician. When you talk about the cornerback position out there and what he brings to the table man the man zone, he can do it all. And if he can just pass down ten fifteen percent of that knowledge to Diggs and make him that much better, it's an investment that the Cowboys needed to make. And this guy, like you said, he's going in there already checking what this young guy's eating out there. Are you eating the right stuff? That stuff's gonna slow you down. This will put energy in your system. When you listen to a pros pro like that, you can only get better because I mean, coaches, they can tell you as much as they want to tell you, but nine times out of ten, if it ain't about you know, the footballs and ex's and o's, it's gonna go through one ear and out the other. But when you have your Peers, a guy that's a champion that's already done it has been to the highs of the highs, and you want to get your level to that level, you're gonna listen to a guy like that.
Speaker 5: And then when you talk about Cooks, what.
Speaker 3: He brings to the table offensively, I mean he can open up so much more for CD Lamb, not only about you know, the technicians as far as route running and all that stuff. But when you got a guy that can open up the top like he can right a safety I'm looking at I'm looking at Cooks like I gotta get on top of it. That leaves all that underneath intermediate area for CD Lamb.
Speaker 6: And when you get him with the ball in his hands, he can make magic happen.
Speaker 3: So to me, both of these additions are huge additions, not only for their productivity, but for the younger guys underneath them.
Speaker 5: That should be it.
Speaker 6: It should be a solid contribution to this team.
Speaker 4: You know, as you're saying now, I'm thinking of quote that Warren Buffett had and he said, you know, you see who's swimming neked when the tie goes in, right, So that's what happened to the front office last season at the wide receiver position because either overconfident, over confident in Ceedee Lamb's ability, or just gross negligence on the part of what they thought they had depth wise. Last season, your second productive receiver was Noah Brown. He also had responsibilities on special teams as well. I mean, look, obviously you couldn't have imagined that Jalen Toba would have the mental issues that he had last season, but that wide receiver group was underwhelming. Brandon Cooks come in and automatically he adds a dimension to that offense I don't think they've had in the last two years, especially since a Mari Cooper, And all I'm saying is I think that he's the piece that can add that confidence that you need to a CD Lamb when you talk about a big brother role, a guy that's going to be there for you. On the other side, Look, man, we talked all season about this defense and what you needed, especially after the twenty twenty one season that Diggs had, I mean historic eleven interceptions. On the other side, that was an opportunity for Anthony Brown. He didn't take advantage of him, all right, no interceptions last season, and that was a lot that this defense needed. And as we sit here right now, have they not made that move? Right This front office basically comes in and say, look, we have an opportunity to get a guy that's defensive player of the year, a guy that also has done what Stephan Diggs has done by setting the interception record and holding the most interceptions.
Speaker 6: He is like that.
Speaker 4: He is like that, and look, this is not going out on the limb. When I talk about him and his resume, it makes him the best cornerback on this roster. People don't want to look because of his senior to what he's done, the skins that he has on the rock on the wall.
Speaker 6: You have to give that to him.
Speaker 4: And if Diggs is willing to learn from a guy that's done all of that, think about how good he can be this season.
Speaker 5: And that's huge. Being coachable.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's just one of the things that I love about this because I mean, he could be one of those guys that can go out through I got eleven picks, I know the game, I know everything about it. I don't need your help. I'm the top dog in this secondary. But for him to go ahead and sit there and say, you know, bring in Gilmore open up to him. I'm gonna listen to what he got to say because I'm trying to get my game to defensive player of the Year type caliber. It just goes to show you the type of corner and the type of man that Diggs is. And I mean, the sky's limit with this guy. If he can go and kind of be under the wing of Gilmour out there and grow as a corner, the sky's limited.
Speaker 6: I mean, let me ask you this, bar. I mean, especially when you bring in a.
Speaker 4: Guy like Gilly, He's he's seen it all, he's done it all and you were And that's really trying to talk about what you alluded to on just his ability to play zone play man.
Speaker 5: How big is that for? Damn?
Speaker 4: When you have a piece like Stefan Gilmore that could play so multi dimensional.
Speaker 3: It's huge because when we talked about earlier, dan Quinn loving is the guys that are kind of like Swiss army knives. And when you talk about Stepan Gilmer, I know he's not gonna go inside and play nickel or go play safety, but as a corner he can do it all for You don't have to say, all right, man, this is a man guy or he's not a man guy. We gotta have a safety over the top. You ain't got to worry about that with him. Man, the man coveras are, you're gonna lock that guy down. Let me go ahead and shift my safeties on to the other side. Let me do some different things on this side, because I know you can hold it down over there. It's just gonna open up this defense so much more. And then when you have a pass rush like they do here, I mean just having eyes back on the quarterback, it's gonna create so many turnovers for this defense. I'm telling you this edition right here. To me, it was my favorite one. I mean, coachs was right there. But Gilmore being in that secondary, the things he can do with dan Quinn by his side defensively, it's gonna be huge.
Speaker 2: Gilmore is one of the few players that Bill Belichick wrote a check to get.
Speaker 6: That's true.
Speaker 2: Think about him, Darrel Reeves, Yeah, he does do it very often. He hadn't missed when he brought him in and they all got brings. So I look at Gilmour and I just say, yeah, this is good. Piggybacking on what you talked about with Cooks as well. How about the fact that now this means Gallup should be one on one end coverage.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you're healthier.
Speaker 2: So Michael Gallup, he says mentally, he's ready to go. He feels good. If Cooks has got him going down here and taking safeties away, Lamb is over here. This young man should be eating.
Speaker 3: On number three corners and he should be able to go out there and dominate those one on one matchups each and every week. And if he's not able to do that, then we got to start looking at a Gallop as a player but being one on one because there's too many options out there for defenses to say, all right, we got a double team him. Hm, let's put a pressure on him. Gallup's out there one on one against a third corner. You're talking about maybe even a rookie sometimes even the practice squad guy that they got to bring up, right, he should be able to dominate those week in and week out, and hopefully the game plan has that in there.
Speaker 4: But just talk about what numbers the expectation for Michael Gallup. Last year, Noehl Brown did five fifty five. I'm sure we all think that that Michael Gallup is capable of doing more than that. Three touchdowns for Noah Brown. I'm sure we all think that Michael Gallup can do more than that, and he should.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: That's the thing about him that I think is so maddening. Look, you know that he's been injured, he had a lot to come back from. But right now with Brandon Cook, there's no there's no reason why he shouldn't be eating, no reason at all.
Speaker 2: That's that's why I think it's okay. You really there are no excuses. This should be a very productive year. And as Dak goes through his progressions here, you know he should be he should be open. And then you start to look at what can Jake Ferguson do now if those three receivers are in a rout, Jake Ferguson is another guy who should be able to have a very productive year. And as much as Dalton Schultz brought, I can't see howl Ferguson is not able to do the same thing because they're virtually, in a lot of ways the same player. So that's another guy. If Cook, first off, Cooks Scotts stay healthy. That's always been an issue with him in his career is the health and the hamstrings and those times. But if Cooks is healthy, there are a lot of options out here for this football team. Bringing in those two guys who have played in the Super Bowl stage, who have played with really outstanding Hall of Fame talent in their careers, this this should help everyone. And if I'm Dak Prescott, I'll be interested to ask Dak when I get a chance to talk to one on one, what does he pick Cooks his brand about considering that he has played with Drew Brees, Tom Brady.
Speaker 4: But did you hear the interview yesterday with Dak when he was talking about Brandon Cooks and just saying how Brandon has taken the reins to have that relationship with him, to get that synergy with.
Speaker 6: All of the wide receivers.
Speaker 4: So that's just leadership on him, you know, guys just without ego coming into a new situation and say and look, in order for me to put my imprint on this team, I need to get with the number one guy who is that.
Speaker 5: That's Dak, And they've been.
Speaker 4: You know, on these leadership you know, going out of town together doing all those things that they need to do.
Speaker 6: Uh. As a team.
Speaker 4: But I think he's a wealth of knowledge, especially playing for Bill Belichick. When you talk about I mean, you just brought up an absolute great point when we were talking about Stephan Gilmore and in Belichick. I mean, you think about Belichick for all those years, all the guys that he's had, the lawyer my lawyers of the world that he's let go exactly, you know, so that is that tells you what a guy like that thinks about him.
Speaker 6: So I just thought that was a great point.
Speaker 5: I just said, let that go.
Speaker 2: We want you. We're about to here, come back because you can do these things that I need. And as you talked about here, you're you're a guy like Dan quit the pits. Okay, he's here. I have to worry about it in a passing league. In a passing league. So I'm a big fan of the additions here and go back to what we talked about to start to show in the position battles. If you can get the defensive tackle spots straight, if you can make it second and nine for guys or second and.
Speaker 5: Ten, yeah, you're gonna get the best version of man.
Speaker 2: You know what. You know, folks eating this would be eating back there. They used to have Thurman themes back in the seventies and eighties around here, you could have you could have that kind of defensive backfield. Where Ever since walls back there, Yeah, man, So Dennis Thurman and the rest of the DBS were able to eat because what the Cowboys have had a guy like Randy White up front, You had Harvey Mark, you had great Heart, you know, the beautiful you know had you had guys getting to the quarterback. And so if you've got that, then then you can can do on the other side. And look in this division here, you're gonna have to stop the run. And you know these other teams here they've got they they've got some good front lines too, So you're gonna have to match match these other folks.
Speaker 6: Out here to get back to the receivers real quick.
Speaker 3: Do you think a guy like Cooks can bring along, you know, the semi Forojokos of the world, the Jalen Tobarts, and can help them step up their game a little bit and realize maybe it's not all offense.
Speaker 5: Maybe you got to do cut your teeth somehow on the special teams. That's how Cooks started out in the league.
Speaker 6: I mean returner doing that special team stuff.
Speaker 3: Do you think he can kind of tap in and getting to those young guys head a little.
Speaker 5: If they smart they just follow his moves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know sometimes you just Hey, the recipe for success is just following somebody that's.
Speaker 5: Been successful doing That's why I'm following you.
Speaker 4: So I'm just saying, you know, there's no situation like that where I think that you're absolutely right. I believe that he can, and I don't see any reason why a guy likes Simi for Hoko.
Speaker 5: That and Jalen Tobert.
Speaker 4: You want so bad for these guys to flourish and come into their own because they semi for Hoko was definitely not the thought of as a.
Speaker 6: Special team guy.
Speaker 4: He put his best foot forward and made the roster like that, Jalen Tober, that's his only way. It's to be with with bones fossil. You know, he has to find his way onto special teams. But at the same time, this that may not have been the way that he envisioned himself when his NFL dreams started. Right now, that's where he is.
Speaker 5: We gotta be.
Speaker 2: Brother, this is it. Sorry, come brother, knew.
Speaker 6: You suggestion.
Speaker 4: We try to pass out a little hope right now, we come on, man, he you may want to think about this.
Speaker 2: Is it coming to me, you know, suggesting?
Speaker 5: I see it like that.
Speaker 2: You go stand up where you go, you know, I mean you may want to room with Kelvin Johnson. Figure that thing out.
Speaker 4: True, But we are one injury away from those guys that we're talking about being you know, a starter.
Speaker 2: In the seventeen game season. Yes, the Jacksonville game all of a sudden, you know it was the Green Bay game. Man, you man.
Speaker 4: Get it down and you know it was, Hey, we finished it. Guys like we don't remember, Like I think you bring that up. As far as the roster, Xavier Roads was on the roster for a playoff game, you know, thirty one. Yeah, I mean people forget about that. I mean that depth is so important. So I guess we're talking about Jayalen Toba in the right terms because you know.
Speaker 2: You're gonna look at some points, they're gonna call you, They're going to need you. I go back to Mike McCarthy's Super Bowl team, and that thing was filled with injuries. I mean they had a great run game with Ryan Grahm and he got hurt. Early in the year and James starts here at the end. You had Woodson who got hurt during the game, and then you had Donald Driver got hurt during that game as well, So you know you you're going to need all your pieces to get this thing down. And to Mike's credit, he talks about that all the time. Hey, we we needed everybody to win. And yes, it's easy to just point to Aaron Rodgers and he was healthy, but still everything around him he had to make all those different adjustments and they ended up winning. So pretty cool. I'm looking forward to seeing exactly what they can do. Hey, let's get more more breaking here. Players lines would come back. I want to get into a former Cowboy assistant coach who you can keep it real, straight up, kept real church to restrict this players lounge.
Speaker 10: Hi, I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with's Smoothie King and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound? That's the sound of you and everyone else absolutely loving new smoothie bowls from Smoothie King.
Speaker 6: And Whoo me too.
Speaker 10: These Smoothie bowls start with us II and Pataya and are handcrafted with fresh topics like sliced bananas, sweet berries, Crunchy Purely Elizabeth Granola and his Savory Peanut butter Drizzle. New smoothie bowls only at Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Once you use the cowboys locker rooms favorite products, check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black.
Speaker 2: Right now you can get the Jack Black.
Speaker 8: Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com, slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker ten bucks free shipping.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few types away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 5: For cryptopros, rookies, and.
Speaker 2: Anyone in between.
Speaker 9: Blockchain dot Com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, Trust it by America's.
Speaker 7: Team Starsports Tools is the only efficient fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame sideline access and with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 2: You want to stay at the.
Speaker 7: Team Hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex'es and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 6: Back to the Players, Loud.
Speaker 2: Players Loud shright here Ah Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 6: Ready to got another reason I do boo read it all right?
Speaker 4: The official twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine Training Camp Preview is now available. This year's edition features scouting reports, position analysis, a pullout schedule poster, and articles from your favorite Cowboy writers. Get your Training Camp preview today at Dallascowboys dot com.
Speaker 5: Slash Star Yes, Sir Yes.
Speaker 2: Sir, Harrison's very Church with resoarch Danny McCrae is on assignment getting some work done with the Cowboys organization. He will join us next week. I will be out in Auctionar, California next week. Sean Payton, former play calling here with the Cowboys under Bill Parcells, sat out last year, ye left the Saints, sat out. Now he's back. He's with the Denver Broncos. And Sean Payton told the truth about Nathaniel Hackett and that coaching staff. They got fired in season in Denver. So what worst coaching dab they ever seen? It was we were up there. We were up there for a scrimmish last year, and I told my boys over the Altitude radio and there was like, man, I don't think this your your coach.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 2: I ain't sold on him, Mike. He didn't call any plays in Green Bay. Last time he was collin plays. He was in Jacksonville.
Speaker 5: You man, I was there.
Speaker 6: We went to the championship.
Speaker 2: How'd you look?
Speaker 5: Ran no points in the second hand.
Speaker 2: And you know I covered his dad when he's the head coach at USC. It was tragic. Then Pete Carroll came back, Thy good luck, guys, and it was terrible. It was absolutely terrible, and Sean Peyton came out said it was terrible. Basically, we're not doing anything they did last year. And I thought Sean and telling the truth, also did something pretty clever. He put it on himself. Don't talk about that. They were they had bad coaching. I'm a good coach, so now guess what he has to be a good coach. There you go.
Speaker 6: I like it.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 6: Well, I thought you were petty.
Speaker 4: That was Come on, man, he did I mean Nathaniel hacked.
Speaker 6: What happened to the coaching? Uh?
Speaker 5: Brotherhood?
Speaker 6: And I mean you talk about a throw a man under the bus kind of deal. Come on the act.
Speaker 5: I mean he didn't hit the break at all all gas and I thought.
Speaker 2: You too young to remember this. And with third base came up with pop goos the weeds look attack with their life. That's what that was. But why I feel the need to was the was the question asked?
Speaker 6: Was it like, you know, hey, what you think about? He went out of his way? That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And another thing I have to understand. The master interviewer had him Jared Bell. Yeah, you know, Jar, make you feel.
Speaker 5: Comfortable with you know, like we boys talking.
Speaker 2: Even told everything, this was a terrible coaching job. Like, man, you know what I'm saying. And next thing, you know, I mean watching Jared when he comes to town and he gets Jerry. You know, we're all the next thing, you know, it's Jared over there with Jerry. Did they just one on one? And next thing, you know, he gonna write something. He got all that, she's master and he got it from she got all that from Sean. But our guy, Russell Wilson, let's ride, Broncos country, Let's ride. He's taking the pressure offical Russell had coach. This is smart on Sean's part to go ahead and and and do what he did.
Speaker 5: I mean, Russell was bad last year. Yes, I'm not saying I think he'll.
Speaker 6: Have a way better year this year. He was bad that last year.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Overall, I never see and the Broncos are proud organization. Remember how bad it was with Nolan. Well, imagine that on both sides, whole organization in Denver. Man who fires a first year coach in the season and they new owners. That's how bad it was. Man, it was. It was horrible.
Speaker 6: He could have took the high ro he could have We're focusing on this year.
Speaker 5: That's about what I'm doing with the Bronco exactly.
Speaker 4: That knew it, but everybody knows it was a train wreck last season. And there's no way to defend even Russell Wilson's play last season as a veteran man. It was bad all across the board. But man, what Seanpagne did. I thought, Look, it's bold. He said it with his chest. But he threw that man under the bus pocket and hey, I just hope, Hey, you know, be careful.
Speaker 2: What just say sometimes be okay, he go, I would have get hunted meal okay, went out there and he talked about, you know, the Jets like the Jets. That's another thing, like you could have left it at Hacket in his situation. And he wasn't a good that man said the Jets got the dream team. I'm like, oh my god, it's a dream Towever, they ain't do anything. He was correct, we don't want to win the office. By the way, I was Vince Young who called it the dreams. Little Vince, He's right.
Speaker 5: They played me five.
Speaker 2: He didn't lie. Sean Payton didn't lie.
Speaker 3: He didn't The Hacket wasn't bad. He didn't do a great job out there. But he also you know, didn't say nothing about Russell throwing garbage.
Speaker 2: He's trying trying to protect it. Jets on hard getting all this pub here, what happens. And we've seen this time and time to get in this league. You you start getting all this pub and all this talking. Talk doesn't win football games. It doesn't win.
Speaker 4: And I think it's completely different for the Jets, man, especially when you look at that defense. I mean they got come on, now, that is an official defense that they have over there. Offensively, that was the only piece that they needed was the quarterback. We knew how, we know how vital having a set solidly.
Speaker 2: Winning that division.
Speaker 6: I mean, why you're throwing me on the there you got, you got, you got Miami.
Speaker 5: I got Miami winning that thing.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: I would say Buffalo, man, I would say Buffalo too.
Speaker 2: Okay, So all this all, let's we got wild cards right all this height while we're talking wild cards.
Speaker 5: But Lebronco's gonna do anything that ship.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm sorry. A lot of these Kansas City is in that division.
Speaker 5: That's true, playing for number two and.
Speaker 2: People be happy about it. So you know I probably did wild card over your boys, Chargers.
Speaker 6: You like you?
Speaker 2: Who's playing a second?
Speaker 5: You like that, I'll tell you do it like that kind of stuff? But more are y'all sleeping on I see what he was able to sleep on him?
Speaker 6: He was here? But what do you mean? We we got a birth.
Speaker 2: Everybody's about throwing under the bus. Everybody and their mom threw k under the bus or the Chargers? Who would you take to finish the second behind? Can't city right now?
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm gonna have to go with the charge. I'm about to say that, ain't.
Speaker 6: Even I'm gonna have to.
Speaker 2: Shpage that, ain't question thee after what the Broncos did last season.
Speaker 4: I just and you you you put me on the spot. I'm definitely Charger.
Speaker 2: Let's put a Smoothie King shake on it.
Speaker 5: Sure ain't putting dinner on it.
Speaker 6: Right now.
Speaker 2: That's write this down.
Speaker 5: And my boy got his money thought he's he's good.
Speaker 6: You know what he might think, I'll loop.
Speaker 2: I would loop Dave craying to him. So there we got we got our first, We got our twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: That's the first one.
Speaker 2: That's the who finishes who? Who's who? Finishes better. The Denver Broncos were the Chargers. You guys a division?
Speaker 5: Oh wow?
Speaker 6: They winning in division? Okay, simple as that.
Speaker 2: Get on a Friday year start, I think you three and one against against uh, what's his name over there?
Speaker 6: In case Pat Mahomes and he's like two, two and one, three and one against. It's a rat.
Speaker 2: They win in the division, Okay, they win. Heck Maharrison, I knew number one offense. This is players louds. We'll talk to you past three years. Don't let me down, okay, don't let me down.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.