Speaker 1: I can't panic.
Speaker 2: He needs our help, so we call doctor Forrest.
Speaker 3: Look up Forest Equine Veterinary Services, Forest Equine Vet.
Speaker 1: There it is.
Speaker 2: It's got to get him up.
Speaker 3: It's okay, Wilder, we're here for you.
Speaker 2: It'll be okay. We're good. I just need you to stand up.
Speaker 3: Yes, we need doctor Forrest. Our horse is clocking. Yes, I mean call licking. We're at the Cooper's farm. Tell them to hurry.
Speaker 2: Get up, Wilder. You can do it.
Speaker 3: Yes, we understand that the weather is bad, but please just tell her to hurry.
Speaker 1: He was upset, so we gave him ace to calm and down.
Speaker 3: I can't get him up.
Speaker 2: I can't do this alone.
Speaker 1: Banamine okay?
Speaker 2: Thanks?
Speaker 3: Is she coming as soon as possible, but it might be an hour or so.
Speaker 1: She said. To give him banamine and see if he'll get up and walk.
Speaker 2: I'm trying.
Speaker 3: Come on, boy, Zoe, can you find the banamine? I don't want to leave him. Bailey, Dad, what are you?
Speaker 4: Bailey?
Speaker 5: Your mom went to check the house, but I knew you'd be here with the horses. Dad, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Oh Daddy, I can't save him.
Speaker 2: He's callicking and I can't get him.
Speaker 4: To stand up and come here. I'm here.
Speaker 1: He's gonna die, just like Connor.
Speaker 2: I can't do this.
Speaker 3: I'm not strong enough.
Speaker 5: I hear you, baby, I know it's scary. I'm here, I've got you.
Speaker 3: You've got to do something for him.
Speaker 4: I will. I'll help you.
Speaker 5: Okay, and whatever happens, we're together on this. Okay, we're strong enough together.
Speaker 2: Okay, Blake, Bailey, you all in here.
Speaker 4: Yes, in the bowling stall. We need to get this horse up and moving quickly.
Speaker 6: Oh no, is it Colic?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I brought him in out of the hill and he was worked up, and I tried to give him ace, but it didn't really work.
Speaker 2: And I think I messed up.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 6: It's not your fault. Let's just focus on help in him.
Speaker 4: Okay, did you give him the bantamine yet?
Speaker 6: No, I'll get it, Zoe, see if you can contact my dad and Alejandro.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 5: Okay, Bailey, you go up by his head. Okay, just talk to him, encourage him.
Speaker 3: It'll be okay, Wilder, I'm here, Mom and Dad are here. They're gonna help us.
Speaker 2: I've got the bantamine.
Speaker 6: Do you want to squirt it in his mouth?
Speaker 7: Bailey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can do it.
Speaker 4: That's my girl.
Speaker 2: They're done.
Speaker 3: Do you think he'll be okay?
Speaker 4: Let's give it a minute to any pain.
Speaker 5: We'll know soon if it's something we can help him with, or if doctor Forest will need to.
Speaker 4: Take him in.
Speaker 3: The hill stopped, Ge, Pap and Alejandra. We're heading back now. Oh good, what's going on? I thought we were in beast mode, you know, intense, urgent.
Speaker 1: Why are you all just sitting there?
Speaker 6: We just gave him pain medicine. We're hoping he'll feel good enough to get up and get moving in a minute.
Speaker 4: So you're Zoe Bailey's friend. I'm Bailey's dad.
Speaker 1: Yes, nice to meet you.
Speaker 4: Same here. Thanks for all your help this week.
Speaker 1: No problem.
Speaker 3: It's been good to be outside so much, though it's been a weird change from what I've been used to.
Speaker 4: I bet it has.
Speaker 1: Mom, Dad, why are you home?
Speaker 3: Mom? You weren't going to come home until tomorrow? And Dad, don't you have two more months left on the circuit.
Speaker 6: I just knew I needed to be here with you. I had a feeling that I should just come home.
Speaker 4: Well, I've been feeling that way for a while now.
Speaker 5: Bailey and I wasn't gonna let your mom drive back alone in bad weather.
Speaker 4: So now as good as time as any.
Speaker 3: Thanks, But I'm sorry I made you change your plans.
Speaker 6: Not another word. You don't have to be sorry. It's a choice we made because you matter to us so much more than an extra day of vacation, even more than the rodeo.
Speaker 4: Even more than the rodeo.
Speaker 5: I actually have a surprise for you, really have that can wait? I'm thinking we may try and roll Wilder see if that'll help him up.
Speaker 3: I have another idea too, So you actually made me think of it.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know how he didn't want to be in the stall earlier. Well, maybe if we open the door wide and move out of the way, his instincts will kick in and he'll get himself up to leave the stall.
Speaker 4: That's a good idea, more to try.
Speaker 3: But aren't you afraid he'll run away and you won't be able to catch him? Right now, I just want what's best for him.
Speaker 6: He needs to get.
Speaker 3: Up, But just in case, can you close the barn doors all the way?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Good thinking.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm opening the stall door now, everybody stand back.
Speaker 3: Come on, Wilder, get up. Zoe, go ahead and open the barn doors too. Let him see the outdoors.
Speaker 6: Okay, that was Sunny. Sounds like she wants to get out.
Speaker 3: I think she knows Wilder.
Speaker 2: She led me to him.
Speaker 4: Before sh He's looking, his ears are purked. He wants to go.
Speaker 6: Maybe he likes Sonny too.
Speaker 1: The power of a mayor's call.
Speaker 2: He's getting up. Good job, boy.
Speaker 6: Look he's going towards Sunny's stall instead about the barn door.
Speaker 4: I guess his instincts kicked in after all.
Speaker 2: Oh, Dad, Bailey.
Speaker 5: Why don't you walk him up and down the barn aisle for now? I think the pain meds are working.
Speaker 6: So do you think he'll be okay?
Speaker 4: Doctor Forrest will have to tell us for sure. But it's a good sign that he's up and moving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it stopped storming just in time.
Speaker 3: I'm going to take the chickens and goats out to give you more room.
Speaker 6: Thanks, Zoe. YEA, wow, what was that?
Speaker 3: That's what she thinks I sound like when I call the chickens.
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't do I Nope, But I like her.
Speaker 4: She's a funny one. We need that around here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so too.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna grab the thermometer and update doctor Forest. Don't let him eat her drink until she gets here, Okay.
Speaker 6: We'll keep a close eye on him.
Speaker 3: Thanks dad. Mom, I'm so glad you're back.
Speaker 4: Of course, Watie always babycakes. Be back in a minute, so.
Speaker 2: You first.
Speaker 6: I'm listening, Mom.
Speaker 3: I know you said not too, but I just want to say I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Oh honey, it's just one day.
Speaker 1: No, not for that.
Speaker 3: For these past few months. I read your letter.
Speaker 6: You did good, Mom.
Speaker 3: I had no idea you were actually grateful that we found out about Connor's cancer that day, and I realized I didn't know because I haven't exactly been easy to talk to you lately. So I'm sorry i've shut you out.
Speaker 6: Oh honey, it's all right.
Speaker 3: I think I was afraid that if we talked about how sad I felt, that it would all just start coming out and be too much for me to handle.
Speaker 6: You know, yes, I know what you mean. That's why I want to help you through it. It's not too much if we carry it together.
Speaker 3: Thanks. It's also weird how sometimes I feel okay, and then I'm afraid I'll forget about him too.
Speaker 6: It's normal to feel all those emotions. It's okay to be happy, and I promise you won't forget him. Do you know why I love my Rosemary Bush so much? Why? For cooking? Not only that Rosemary makes me think of my mom. She used a lot of rosemary and her recipes and she was a resilient woman, just like my Rosemary Bush. So it's the special thing that reminds me of her.
Speaker 3: Oh, so, do you have something that reminds you of Connor?
Speaker 6: I thought you would have guessed that by now. Uh caramels?
Speaker 3: Oh they were his favorite candy, weren't they?
Speaker 6: Yes? And me how he was strong but also really sweet, Like how he always looked out for you and let you be his his sidekick. No, baby, he let you be his partner.
Speaker 2: Huh nah, huh.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 6: He was the first to see the same strength in you, even when you were little, and I wanted to keep you safe inside with me, but he wouldn't have it. He'd always try to persuade me to let you join him in just about everything. Really, absolutely, Do you think most moms let their three year old daughters drive four wheelers and learn rodeo tricks?
Speaker 2: I guess not.
Speaker 6: It took your dad less time to see what Connor saw. That's why he gave you, Sonny. Even when you were still so little, you had away with her. You were both fearless when you were together.
Speaker 3: I was fearless because I had Connor.
Speaker 6: You don't see it yet, but you will. That strength is there. It just works better as part of a whole in relationships.
Speaker 3: I think I'm starting to figure that out. I just need to get wilder. Well. I think he and I will make a pretty good team.
Speaker 6: Yeah, maybe so.
Speaker 3: I wish Doctor Forrest would hurry, But I'm glad you and Dad are here.
Speaker 6: We are too. We love you. Let's wait for outside the sun's coming out.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: You all did well with him, You really did.
Speaker 7: I can't believe I wasn't there, just sitting in a cave twiddling my thumbs and swatting mosquitoes. And Shannon, even though you got on the road in that storm like I told you not to. I'm pretty impressed with your intuition and impeccable timing.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Dad, and you too, Doctor Forrest. But Bailey did most of it. We were just her sidekicks.
Speaker 3: No partners.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm impressed.
Speaker 8: Who got a wild horse to cooperate, so his gut sounds half improved. Looks like he's passing some manewer now, whereas there was none in his stall. But I'll do warm him again just in case. Okay, I don't want you to give him any more grain or treats, just hay and grass for the next three days.
Speaker 1: Could have been the.
Speaker 8: Weather, but more likely it's a combination of things. He just isn't used to. His stress is pretty high being in captivity. I think this one is best suited to stay in the wild, and now that his leg's healed, that can happen pretty soon.
Speaker 3: But he doesn't have a place out there, doctor Forest, He'll just fight and get injured again.
Speaker 8: What makes you think he doesn't have a heard? I saw one on my way here, just a mile up the road. Looks like they're waiting for him.
Speaker 3: No, that herd belongs to the gray stallion. He's been leading them for as long as I can remember. He's the stallion that hurt Wilder.
Speaker 8: Ah, oh, Bailey, I I don't know how to tell you this.
Speaker 2: What what is it?
Speaker 4: Doctor Forrest?
Speaker 8: Do you remember that call I got before I came to float your horse's teeth?
Speaker 3: No, I oh wait, you were treating another wild horse.
Speaker 8: Yes, another stallion and he.
Speaker 3: What are you saying, Bailey, No, it's okay, tell me doctor Forrest.
Speaker 8: It was the gray stallion. He was much older and well, he might have won the fight. He must have worn himself out and the ranger found him. That stallion didn't make it.
Speaker 3: The gray Stallion dead. He's always been that herd's leader. He has foals.
Speaker 5: Come here, Bailey died, But I've been seeing that gray stallion for a long time, ever since he was dark and dappled. He's done a fine job of taking care of that hurt. He must have been pretty old.
Speaker 7: Old or not, he'll be messed. He was a good leader. There comes a time to pass that role to the next generation through.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the next generation.
Speaker 7: We don't need to figure it all out right now. I, for one, am starving, Miranda. I know you rushed over. Do you want to stay for dinner?
Speaker 8: Well, thank you, I think I will stay if it's not too much trouble.
Speaker 6: No, not at all. I sent Alejandro to get some pizzas for everyone, and Zoe said she and her mom are going to bring over ice cream and a healthy homemade apple pie.
Speaker 2: Sounds great.
Speaker 4: I'm starving.
Speaker 7: What's a healthy apple pie?
Speaker 3: I'm going to stay out here with Wilder? Can you bring me a slice of each in a little while?
Speaker 6: Okay, sweetie, but are you sure you want to be alone?
Speaker 3: I'm not alone, I know that. I just want to write in my journal and keep an eye on Wilder in the round pen just in case.
Speaker 6: All right, I'll be back in a bit.
Speaker 3: It's so Wilder, you have a heard waiting for you. But I thought we were going to be your herd. Dear Connor, I feel frozen again. I don't know what to do. It seems like everything I do, whatever I try, I just can't have what I want. I want Wilder. I want him here with me forever. I thought that i'd be rescuing him like we plan to do together with our grant. But it's all backwards again. Trying to keep him here almost killed him. How could things have gone so wrong? I don't want to lose him. It's like losing you all over again.
Speaker 7: It is