Speaker 1: What's up, everybody, and welcome back to another episode of Bucco Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network. I'm the Oahils, joining me as always on my co hosts Platinum Key aka Mark and Josh Harrison. It is Monday. The Pirates are coming out of the All Star Break with a pretty good showing against the Cleveland Guardians. They take two of three from that team up on the Mistake on the Lake. They show swept them the blue of three to zero lead on Saturday. So we're gonna talk about the good and the bad to come from it and both of their wins. They got really good starts from their starting pitcher. They had a pretty good outing from their bulk guy on Saturday as well, but the bullpen blew that. So we'll talk about the bullpen struggles and then we will round out our show today as we always do on Monday, with Platinum Key's Key of the Week. Guys, we'll start off though the starters they shoved in a ballpark that's a hitter friendly ballpark against a team that's in the thick of the American League Wild Card hunt. Jared Jones. Let's just start there first outing since the six perfect innings. He kept it going. I think he went five, only allowed three hits, one earned run. I believe had like eight strikeouts. I want to say he looked, he looked really really good. Again, it's the best we've seen Jared looking back to back outings probably since twenty twenty four, probably since like May twenty twenty four. So very encouraging sign for him. Christian Curtis what MLB debut? Hello, young fella, that is something to be excited about. If you're the Pirates, they have another option if they need it. Kind of like a Brandon Compton type guy, Josh if you if you yes, you just you have that. You have that, you know ace in the hole there. Anytime you need a spot starting a doubleheader, you have one of those young guys that's big. The big guy. Paul Skeins comes through with seven innings of one run ball on Sunday to get the series victory. Mark, I'm gonna start with you here, who were you most impressed with this weekend? Of their three, We'll say Christian Curtis was a start as well. So which of these three was the most impressive?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think Christian Curtis, out of these three, was just so impressive, just because he didn't really know he was about to make this start. You know, his like family only got so much heads up to make it for his MLB debut, so he kind of got thrown out of his rhythm, you know, just it's you're making your major league debut. There's a lot going on, and he handled all of that perfectly and looked great. I mean, the velocity was really really nice, just like the control. Uh, he was really efficient and like what his start for this team. We were talking last episode about, you know, Seth Hernandez willing to do whatever to help this team win even if he's in the minors. Christian Curtis stepped up and gave this team a crucial spot start when they're about to have six games in five days against two of the best teams in the American League with the Yankees coming up next, and so him being able to fill in and have Brax andn Ashcraft bump his start to a team where it's the Yankees with a much better ops than you know, the Cleveland Guardians. That was I was just really impressed by Christian Curtis and it's you know, it stinks that he got option back to triple A, but I don't think that's surprising at all. We knew after he pitched he's not gonna be able to pitch again for four or five days. So get him back back to starting, keep him stretched out in triple A. And it's nice to know that if we need help in the bullpen for more like long relief like that, or a spot in the rotation comes of it becomes available, that's a really good looking option. And that's not even to mention like Wilburdjtel we didn't see him this weekend. Another young arm that could possibly fill that same kind of role where stretched out and like maybe come out of the bullpen. What about you, Josh I who Yeah Jones? To impress you more.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go Jared Jones because obviously I was gonna say Christian would be the obvious answer, you know, debut, but I'll go Jared Jones.
Speaker 4: Just because obviously we know what Paul brings.
Speaker 3: But Jared through the first game coming out of break too right, So for me that that was setting the tone we talk about coming out of All Star Break, you know, wanting to set the tone.
Speaker 4: We needed our starting pitching to do it.
Speaker 3: And I think we talked about on Sunday's episode of you Know Who we'd like to see take a step forward or whatever, and here it was answered first. And I think Jared we even spoke about because he had the six perfect endings his last start before All Star Break. So to see that, you know, from the get go, I think out of the last I would say would definitely be the most impressive, just because you need it that out coming out of break and to set the tone, especially being on the road.
Speaker 1: I guess I'll pick Skins then and I'll say it's impressive just because I mean, I liked how the splinker looked today against left handers. The velocity has been higher than what it has been. Wasn't by much. It was still sitting around ninety seven. But it's three in a row. That's we set this bar for Paul, like going into the middle of this month. It's just you gotta win when Paul Skeins pitches, and they've done that now against the Atlanta Braves, the Milwaukee Brewers, and the Cleveland Guardians. That's at any pitcher in baseball, if you can rattle off three straight wins against those three teams. That is a stretch to be proud of, and that includes Paul Skins. And he's looked better at every single outing. Yeah, so I still don't think Paul Skins is back. He got a lot of help from his defense today. Oh yeah, but that's part of it. That's part of it, you know, Like sometimes you do all the work, sometimes your teammates help you out. When you get twenty one outs, they all count the same, they're all the same on the stat sheet. So that's that's him doing his job. And like we just said, like I just said, he's three and ozer in his last three. He has a winning record. Now this is the Paul Skins that he is trending upward, and that is bad news for the National League. When Paul skiings, it's like in the movie A Bronx Tail when they lock the door. Now you can't leave, Like, yeah, it is. It is bad news for the National League if he gets going.
Speaker 2: So and I'll just sud yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna say sometimes you need a little help.
Speaker 3: When you said it started, like you know, as much you see self the team, you know, for today's start.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you need a little help and hey, you'll take it.
Speaker 2: And I'll just round this segment out by mentioning the one guy who made a start as well. Mason Montgomery has looked really good as an opener for this team. Provides a lot of help for when you can throw lefty out there who you know is going to have a clean first inning and get things going the right way set up Christian Curtis nicely. So shout out to Mason Montgomery for I think that's the fifth time now that he's done that opening role hasn't allowed to run. It's been pretty efficient to him. So so and then came in also on Sunday and pitched a clean inning of relief after skiing. So shout out to Mason Montgomery for the work he did this weekend.
Speaker 1: All right, so we're going to take a quick break. Let me come back. We're going to talk about the bullpen here on Bucco Territory.
Speaker 5: What if you can actually have it all? And I'm talking about Mint Mobile taking the premium wireless bouginess crats, but then bringing it to the transparency in pricing and the affordability in pricing.
Speaker 6: They're gonna lay everything out there with a cheap bill that you know what everybody can hand right now.
Speaker 5: You can even bring your current phone and your number. If you're thinking about it and you're like, I'm worried about that, No worries. They have you covered because they're able to convert people all the time to the Mintmobile way. Go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Cut your wireless build of fifteen bucks a month at mintmobile dot com slash territory.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 5: There's no catch upfront payment of forty five dollars for three months, ninety dollars for six months, or one hundred eighty dollars for twelve month. Plan required fifteen dollars per month equivalent taxes and fees extra initial plan term only greater than fifty gigabytes, may slow when network is busy. Includes up to twenty gigabyte hotspot capable device required, availability, speed and coverage varies see mintmobile dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, there was only real really one flaw this whole weekend. Yep, they hit the ball well. I think they played pretty good defense for the most part. I guess Sat. The second game in the doubleheader, had some bad defensive plays, but overall defense was fine, offense was pretty good. Starting pitching was really good. Relief pitching did not get the job done. On Saturday. They had a three to nothing lead. What was it in the sixth seventh inning.
Speaker 3: Well, that's why I'm looking at my phone because my cousin went to the game and I was scrolling through the look at his text. He went to that second game because I started the delay. From what I remember, he was like, cuz it's you know, raining, it's a delay. And I wake up to a text today from him because I didn't get to watch it. He goes, he said, cuz, thanks, he said for last night. It was a crazy ending, And I'm like, what happened? And he goes, Travis Bozana hit a walk off home run, Guards came back crazy ending. He was like, Pirates had the game one. They were up three to nothing. So you're saying that, like, as I've mentioned, people are taking notice. I've mentioned it, and you know, one of our earlier episodes that you know, Pirates are on people's radar, and you know, with everything that they've been doing, you know, I have my cousin here who went to the game, you know, who witnessed the bullpen you know struggles firsthand, and was just like, yeah, man, the Pirates had the game one and I don't know how many games they've had this year where you know, kind of been a similar situation, but I think this is the first one that I've had somebody personally be like, yeah, because the bull can you know. So it's one of those things where it's like, you know, you don't want to keep you know, saying the same thing over and over, but at some point, you know, you don't want to look at the end of the season and miss out on an opportunity due to you know, some some struggles that have been there a long time of the season.
Speaker 1: They've had eighteen blowing saves. Now their bullpen has nineteen losses. Yeah, nineteen losses on the air. So when you say you don't want to keep saying it over and over again, you should actually say it over and over again nineteen times, yes, because that's how many games they've lost you this year. And boobens, you know what, You're you're allowed one bad blow up a month that that happens. But man, I mean, yeah, they were up. They were up three nothing heading into the bottom of the eighth inning, and then they melted down and in the the The tough part about this one, and it's so familiar with so many other of these losses, it's they gave every a shot. Like Isert did not look good. Sodo didn't get the job done. He his wild pitch allowed the time run to come across the plate. Dennis Santana, which we'll talk about in the segment, just another really, really bad showing from him. I mean, it's who do you have that you can depend on in this bullpen right now? John? I mean yeah, that's that's it. Like. And Johan wasn't amazing in his outing, so I just yeah, it's tough, So let's let's go here. Mark. Dennis Santana, it looked like he was trending upward a little bit. We're now at a point where he's two and five with a six twenty year under on average, and it's not a very small work sample. He's thrown forty and two thirds inning this year in forty three games. It's it's bad. I mean, in his last fifteen games he's got a seven point eight zero era is last thirty games. It's an eight point seven eight era, So I mean that that thirty game sample is pretty daunting. Is this? It is this? It like, is do you have to DFA him now?
Speaker 2: I think it's within If not this series, I mean, if his next appearance doesn't go well, yeah, then it's gotta be because I think the only reason he's still on this team is because of how good he looked in what was that like the first half of twenty twenty five last year where he actually looked like a he could be. This team's close.
Speaker 1: I mean four like the of twenty four he was their best reliever, and I think all twenty five he was like a win player out of the bullpen line, right, he was really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was last year. You're chasing that and it's not there. And we have talked so many times how voltaile guy like relief pictures can be and this is just not done Santana's year and at a certain like, I'm completely fine if we get the notification tomorrow after this episode releases, if he has been DFA, he's out of options, So you can't send him down to the minors to figure something out and you can't let him just linger in this bullpen because how can Don Kelly trust him? And yeah, I don't know if you there's already enough guys that are there for the low leverage spots. Uh, you need to find an answer, and it just hasn't been Dennis Santana this year. What when do you cut it?
Speaker 1: No, I mean the real answer is whenever they make another addition, because who are you replacing him with? Right now? I'm I'm not defaing him for the sake of recalling. Yeah that like because that's not an upgrade, like even Urkidi, It's like, what do you I mean, I don't know, Like, go get someone. That's the point here is because when you when you go, when you go get someone, you gotta clear a space on the forty man. And that's when Dennis goes. And that's just the unfortunate reality of it. He has no more years of control remaining. He's a free agent at the end of next year. He's your worst leverage option right now, considering the guys that you would actually put or put in the on the mound in leverage spots. He's your biggest liability. So it sucks because I've said this before, Dennis is one of my favorite guys to talk to you in that clubhouse. But you've given him forty innings. That's the whole season for some guys in the major leagues. So it's just it's just not happening, and it's time to go get some help. And I'm not talking about Isert, who was the second best player acquired for a draft pick. You know, you need to go get a real reliever. Other teams are doing it. The Brewers have made editions, the Cubs have made additions. The draft is over, it's the it's the back half of July. Go get them overpay It's time. As long as it's not Seth Hernandez or Edward Florentino, you gotta consider it. Man. You you traded for all of these low level prospects last year. You load it up in high A, low A, double A and all of these guys. You have a stockpile of young shortstops. You have a stockpile young third baseman, young catchers. Some of these dudes, it's like, all right, well, you look, even if they do well, like say, you have another Zmerlin Valdez in that group where are you playing them because they're not playing short stop next year and you just trade for Jacob Gonzalez, So you got a logjam there. It's time to overpay and go get an arm. It's time and that means that will mean the departure of Dennis Santana. It's just beyond time because right now then everything else is fine. Gonzales looks pretty good at short They kind of fixed that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that that was we said that was priority, and.
Speaker 1: Ye check that box. They agreed.
Speaker 3: And hearing you know, a six two o E or I think you said, that's pretty alarming, especially I mean high leverage back end of the bullpen when you're handing the ball over to be secure. You mentioned, you know, how does Don Kelly trust him. I'm sure there are moments out there he will never tell you, but I'm sure his confidence, you know, as a picture of Dennis Santana. You know, relievers are told to have the shortest memory, and when you tell me he's been going out there and getting hit the way, that confidence can't be at an all time high. And as you said, Mark just may not be as year, but if this is going to be the Pirates year, they have to shake up some things, and unfortunately that may mean, as you said, you know, letting go of a guy that Noah loves to cover. You know, but at the same time you hit the nail on the head. You can't make a move if you don't have a replacement ready, especially to go in those situations. So they have to be that that's got to be their priority. Which before you know, Connor got hurt and they need to address bullpen was the priority. Then you know what that flipped now that you've addressed that shortstop. I don't even know the number, you know, I don't really get into the analytics, but I'd be curious to.
Speaker 4: See how many of those eighteen or nineteen losses the.
Speaker 3: Win probability was something that was like, dang, they shouldn't have lost this game.
Speaker 2: There's at least like.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying the one. I'm not saying like a one run game. I'm saying like games that like, yeah, it was yeah, right, four or.
Speaker 1: Five games at the top of my head where they blew a three plus run lead in the final, that's too many.
Speaker 2: And they've come to it like these bullpen collapses have just stopped all the team's momentum too, like this, we could be going on this crazy win streak right now. It's like, oh, well, we had another blip where we had a game just.
Speaker 1: Completely They're a half game out right now, right, Yeah, they're a half game out, and you're chasing down one of the teams you're chasing is ahead of you, to the wildcard teams ahead of you or in your division, and you're you're just giving games away. Everything else is getting better as the season. The offense is getting better every month of the season, the starting pitching is getting better, the whole thing's coming into form. And the bullpen just like it's just it's just not there. It's not there, and yeah, it's it's beyond time.
Speaker 2: There's an easy thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we're gonna take another break. When we come back, we will round out the show. I think he's Key of the Week here on Bucko Territory.
Speaker 2: Bucko Territory is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So, Josh, who you think is gonna be hitting a home run this week?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go with Ryan o' hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he needs to man, so we'll go Ryan o' hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been a little cold lately, got a little frustrated in Sunday's game. I think he'd be loving to see all go over the wall, you know, see when going the net like that?
Speaker 1: What about you, Noah, hottest hitter in baseball, Billy Cook. Yeah, he had a huge game today. He was This was the best game Billy Cook's played in his life. I'm piece of it. And if memory serves correct, he homered at Yankee Stadium in twenty twenty four. I believe I covered that him and Nick York both hit home runs in the season finale. I think, so okay, yeah, Billy Cook Cone Hoister. I don't even know if he's going to get a plate appearance a.
Speaker 2: Day, right, yeah on Sunday?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. If he does, be aware, Bleacher teachers because Billy Cook home run income.
Speaker 2: Man, I'll go with a little bit more certainty here, a guy you can just I mean, at this point, as mellan val does, I mean, geez, if he doesn't hit a home run, he must be sick or something, or the game guy postponed. Because at this rate, this guy is just mashing home runs with a freakish consistency uh eleven hundred ops right now and does not seem to be slowing down. So I throw as Mirillian Valdez in there. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash Podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 6: No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issue does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller Tex one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: All right, and now the famous Key of the Week segment. Wait all right, and this week's Key of the Week, I wanted to highlight my guy, Jakemingham, friend of the show and someone who has just been on an absolute tear after he's stepped up with more playing time with Onneo Cruz out. He's been doing it every which way he possibly can. I mean, he's been hitting the ball. His ops in his last seven games is over nine hundred, over eight hundred in his last fifteen games. The defense, I mean, some of the plays he made in Sunday's game were just unreal. He made a sliding catch when he was in left field, sprinting on full sprint with Stephen Kwan committed he was going to turn it into a double, and somehow Jake Mangham gets the ball, slides, catches it, guns it in and gets the out. And not only that, but he was just so fired up after they announced they had to go to replay review, announced Carl was confirmed or overturned, I can't remember, and called Kwan out and just seeing that energy, that fight, that belief that Jake Mangham had right after that, I don't feel like it's too much of a coincidence that then Azrael and Valdez stepped up to the plate and hit an easy home run. The energy he brings to this team is just so infectious. But also that what he's been providing from a baseball since has been legitimately really really needed, especially in with O'Neil Cruz out so key. The week is just Jake Ingham continuing to step up, be that next man up, provide offense, base running. I mean, the main mayhem is real. He gets in pitchers heads. You can tell they're annoyed to have to deal with him. Uh long at that, it's just just a ballplayer. So I wanted to shout out my guy Jake Mingham for another big series here against the Guardians, and I think he'll keep the Yankees on their toes as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my man plays with his hair on fire. And what did you see. I've said it before.
Speaker 3: Just get an opportunity to play, and he's taken, you know, that advantage of that opportunity. And within those opportunities, there are gonna be moments where a guy that plays like Jake, he's gonna, you know, do some things that may be like, oh man, he shouldn't done that, he shouldn't have done for that, he shouldn't have went on that. But those are things he also is going to learn from as the more he's playing. You know, when when he's.
Speaker 4: Not playing every day, those are plays that he's got to be aggressive on.
Speaker 3: But now that he's playing every day, you know, you'll you'll see him starting to tighten up on some of those mental things just because he's being presented with these opportunities more.
Speaker 4: But but definitely.
Speaker 3: Nice to see him making his contribution, not only offensively, as you mentioned, defensively. I think one of the players that helped Paul today that that we spoke about, so another guy. As you mentioned, energy helps whether you going good or bad. Energy is something that you want to keep up in the dugout. So as you said, mangan keep bringing that that energy manium.
Speaker 2: What you say, manga mania, yeah, tongue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well I was going to try to find a stat but fangraphs is just so so as a site. I love van It's a great resource. But yeah, yeah, we're we're not in the business away. Oh okay, Phil, fill a little bit of time. I want to do something real quick. Mark talk more about Jake Bingam for thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: All right, So let's see uh in his last seven games only four strikeouts, which I love has he has less strikeouts than he has RBIs. He has five RBI's and that's only off of one homer. So coming up clutch being the leadoff guy with Spencer Horwitz out there, we go.
Speaker 1: So in the Mike Burrows trade, the Pirates acquired Mason Montgomery, Jake Bingam, and Brandon Lawe. Mike Burrows is worth negative point.
Speaker 2: Three war in Triple A right and is.
Speaker 1: In triple A he's been optioned. Combined, the three players they got from Mike Burrows, who is a negative war player, have given this team a combined four point six WAR. So that is a net swing of almost five wins in one trade. And is the headliner. He's two and he's almost a three war second baseman. He'll finish the year well over three or maybe four. He's gonna hit thirty home runs. He is the best hitter on this team, maybe the best player on this team but Mangum and Montgomery. But we're talking about Mangum here. When you have a fourth outfielder, that's gonna be like a two war guy switch hitter, gonna hit over three hundred and like what Josh said, the playing with your hair on fire. Yeah, energy is contagious in this sport. And when you're rallying right now, when you're beating good teams, when you feel like it's all coming together, and it's also it's hot outside. They're smoking the year, you can't breathe. You need guys like Jake Mangum, guys like Zmuelin Valdez. They're just like, nah, uh, nope, nope, we're not dragging ass today. We're gonna come to the ballpark. We're gonna play ball. We're gonna have fun, we're gonna hoist the cone, we're gonna try to steal an extra base, We're gonna gun down anyone who tries to do it against us, and we're gonna win. That's what playoff teams do. That's the type of player player that are on playoff teams. They're not the guys who are on the highlight reel, they're not the guys who have the most searched Baseball Savant page, but they are on winning ball clubs. Teams win with players like Jake Bingham and we saw why today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also a shout out to Billy Cook. A lot of similar things. I just had the game of his life, as Noah just mentioned during that ad read. And also the same guy that he just brings the vibes. He whatever this team needs, doesn't care, We'll do whatever, So give him a little shout out at the end of the segment as well. Was really impressed with both of them on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Oh you gotta love a guy that brings the vibes and the vibes that I love.
Speaker 4: When you subscribe, we're on our way to three K, So if.
Speaker 3: You want to not, if you want to go ahead, whether you want to or not, hit the subscribe button.
Speaker 4: Working our way three k slowly engined there and why you there?
Speaker 3: Feel free to visit the Buckle store and get you some swag.
Speaker 4: T shirts to.
Speaker 3: Hoodies, the hats, to bags, some coffee mugs, you name it. Buckle Territory shot probably has it. Feel free to you know, go splurge. There's still some time, fellows, get anything.
Speaker 2: One last thing. Just also check out Foul Territory put together some really nice merch for the All Star Game. Yeah, pick up your schemes and Ashcraft shirts. They're pretty sweet. Any final thoughts for you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shout out the world. Cup awesome tournaments. Baseball season's finally underway now, now that the NBA Finals are over, the NHL playoffs are over, World Cups over, Baseball season is here and we will have it all covered now. Baseball season has been going on and we've been having a lot of fun covering it. The Pirates very interesting week ahead, three games in the Bronx, then they take on the North Siders this weekend at home the Cubbies. Gonna be a fun every one will be here to cover it all. He's Platinum Kaka Mark, He's Josh Harrison. I'm Noah Hayle, signing off thing. Thanks for tuning in to another episode of Bucco Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network. Take care