Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn the stuff they don't want you to know.
Speaker 2: A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome back to Netflix. My name is Matt, my name is Nol.
Speaker 2: They called me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer, Dylan the Tennessee pal Fagan. Most importantly, you are you You specifically you are you. You are also here right now, and that makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. Previously on Stuff they don't want you to know, we explored the origin and the controversy surrounding the stuff they don't want you to know. It's a pun that we're not giving up on. Please check out chapter one before you continue to chapter two. What do you say? Guys? Should we just drop in and media arrests?
Speaker 3: And before we do, reminder you have to watch on YouTube reactions to Pete and Boss for the first time. It's one of the best things you can do on YouTube.
Speaker 4: So here we go, joining us already in progress. The absolute volume of content on YouTube is a feature, not a bug, and there is no possible way that that could be policed, so to speak, by YouTube themselves, except when it kind of benefits them, right.
Speaker 3: Well, that was one of the main things YouTube was concerned with in the beginning, right, just like Facebook, just like all these other social media platforms, about the terrible things that could be uploaded. If you give that tool to everybody who can possibly make a video or put video up, there's danger there, right, And is it their fault? It might be their fault if it goes up and everybody sees it. So we as a company have to protect ourselves more than anyone for sure, that kind of stuff, right.
Speaker 4: And I mean, obviously there are safeguards in place that would prevent someone from, say uploading a video of like murder or violent sticking place or something really horrific like that. But then it gets a little more nuanced when it comes to like ideological content and like what is and is not okay and what is incentivized and de incentivized. And I love then that you point on on the outline here. That's when we start getting into Acts of Congress and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act as well as Communications Decency Act, and how those things kind of play into the way YouTube needs to approach this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and thank you for shouting those out, because the YouTube initiative runs into specific acts of Congress. You mentioned DMCA, which we are unfortunately quite well aware of, as well as the CDA Communications Decency Act, specifically section two three zero for anybody who wants to play along at home. Pretty much like the YouTube okay created in two thousand and five, they get into legal trouble as early as the next year. In two thousand and six, there is something called the Japanese Society for Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers sent them a takedown request and they said, hey, YouTube, you got more than thirty thousand things that you got to take down. And Comedy Central, which is actually known for being cool and comedic, also sued for copyright infringement.
Speaker 3: But yeah, those companies, those producers of content, right, the traditional ones, TV, radio, movies, all that kind of.
Speaker 2: Stuff, we call the legacy ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the only way they make money is if you're watching it through one of the channels that's been curated for you to watch stuff on, right, where there's huge ad dollars.
Speaker 4: Well, of course, know, then they take on that. If you can't beat them, join them. Mentality where then, you know.
Speaker 2: Are vigorous, massively presence on YouTube.
Speaker 4: In fact, I think we could argue that they probably make just as much money off of viral YouTube clips of like The Daily Show and stuff than they do from people actually watching it on TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the old joke. It's the old joke. Good friend of the show. John Stewart also pointed as how years ago, it's weird that The Daily Show published DVD collections and later Blu ray collections because it was such a topical show. And what we're seeing here is a paradigm shift, right, a deep sea change wherein people are thinking less deeply about things. Right, I explain it to me in three minutes, Right, I just learned. I just learned that maybe Syria and Jordan don't always get along. But I've only got so long on my smoke breaks. So just explained it to me. Don't make me quote stuff, give me some stats that make me sound smart. That is what is happening.
Speaker 3: Let's think about the residual checks that got destroyed through all of this. That was the way artists made money, right, Bright Bright in two thousand and six, that's not that long ago. Twenty years ago. But it this advent of YouTube destroyed that entire way of making money, like just killed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great point, Matt. And further, Okay, it gets stranger, folks, it gets more dangerous, the water gets ever deeper because we have been talking about corporations primarily. But around the same time, just within a year of YouTube going public for the people, various state powers also found YouTube problematic. This is when we see, you know, user generated content. I'm an activist, I'm a protester. I want people to know that this school is getting bombed by some world's military. I'm sharing news that my government doesn't want out there. Right, I'm becoming part of things like on the ground reporting of the Arab Spring for a few years back. Right. This is a This is a shift that is similar to American civilians seeing real world footage from the Vietnam War, testimonies of political prisoners, arguments against state suppression and their policies. By two thousand and eight, again just three years or three if you want it, in glorious bastard style, just three years after YouTube debuted, multiple countries have blocked part of YouTube content or block the platform entirely. And yes, of course this includes problematic, you know, authoritarian countries like Syria and China or Pakistan, but it also includes things like Brazil or Thailand or Turkey. YouTube was getting jammed up and their boardroom decided to make some changes. They said, hey, what's the point of making this if fewer and fewer people can actually use it?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: If we were global and people across the globe can't use it, then what kind of weird don quixote stuff are we doing? So YouTube started suspending user accounts. One I think we all remember back in O seven, the platform suspended the account of an Egyptian activist named Wail Abbas and part of my pronunciation there he was a blogger or a vlogger with a V as we would call them. He was an anti torture activist. And his whole thing was like he wasn't trying to sell bone, broth or gold. He said, hey, police in Egypt are torturing people, including women and children. I've got clips of this I could show you, and YouTube shut the guy down. And still they're rumors. We're being very diplomatic calling them rumors. There are sh as no ones say rumors that YouTube bent the knee to the Egyptian government, but they said their official stance has always been that no other users, just like you, they're the ones who complained. That's why we covered up these Egyptian war crimes.
Speaker 4: Well, and that's sort of the advent of the concept of deplatforming. You know, this is really kind of the early days of that, because I think that's one of the first mass you know, reach platforms other than like Facebook or whatever, which isn't really in the conversation so much anymore in that respect. That's why Facebook had to stay relevant by like buying Instagram. But we start to see later even like people on the right being deplatformed, and that kind of leading to radicalization on the on the right, further radicalization because they had to start their own companies like you know, truth Social and things like that, because they were no longer allowed to be on these more mass platforms like Instagram and YouTube specifically. So it's a fascinating kind of beginning of this whole culture war stuff, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So he did debate about censorship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we saw the splintering occur in real time in two thousand and six, two thousand and seven, when places like Shock. Websites like Orgish turned or I think it was Orgish Orgish, I can't remember, but they turned into livelyek dot com in like two thousand and six, two thousand and seven, and that's where you could go to you go to this new video channel place and watch Saddam Hussein get executed or if you wanted to see actual live battle Warm.
Speaker 2: World Star hip hop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and some of it is like like Orgish was gross, like Shock, like rotten dot com ference of type stuff. Yeah, but places like Lively tried to step up and say, hey, you can actually see what is happening in you know, war torn areas. You can see what's really happening on the ground in places, and you can just see that while YouTube is kind of changing and going towards the money and the advertiser happiness thing and trying to get the content the DCMA and the content stuff right, all these other places are attempting to fill in those spaces.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that happened with cable TV or you know, okay, no, let me let me phrase it's the same thing that happened to network TV when cable TV kind of swooped in. It's just an extension of that to a degree, right, because cable TV had a lot more freedom. Network TV had to play much nicer with the advertisers than eventually so did cable TV, and it just kind of like it just you know, kicks the can down the road.
Speaker 2: Right in the in the Abbas case in particular, YouTube claimed and has always claimed that censorship was not the end goal. The public, including by the way yours truly was skeptical. Now there are countless allegations that are only growing arguing that YouTube bends its own rules and will act on behalf of powerful companies or powerful countries and even authoritarian autocratic regimes and dictatorships. A lot of these haven't been proven. But at the same time we also see.
Speaker 4: We of course they will like it just seems like it's common sense that the degree to which they've become the big guy, that it behooves them to do just that they're no longer out there to spread quote unquote truth and unfettered information. They have a lot more shareholders to answer to. That's why you need the live leaks and the more kind of underground versions of what YouTube maybe used to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting because at the same time, we see that there are numerous videos and accounts that are not publishing copyright infringement stuff, right, They're not publishing something that hits the narrative of a bully regime, which is all the bad guys are. They're just jerks who are bullies. But they these accounts are putting out heinous things, depictions of illegal acts, calls to violence, racist material, gross sex stuff, and so on. So now YouTube hit this Road to Damascus moment, right, they hit this moment of recognization, realization, something we call had come to Jesus moment. In the American South, they say, we're everywhere in the world. All these countries have different laws. Which laws of a given country do we as YouTube follow? And so in two thousand and eight they put out their rules for what they call violations of community guidelines, and it's a three strike thing. You screw up once, in their opinion, you get a warning. After six months you're back in the game. So they give you a yellow card. You know, they put you in time out. And I think everybody in the audience tonight is aware of the concept of time out, especially if you are a bad kid growing up. It's nuts because then They also had again to the point about power players. These are the real dangers for YouTube. Folks like Senator Joseph Lieberman called on YouTube to remove any video that had a logo of Outida Right, a terrorist group, and they said, also take away any videos that have any depiction of a logo or a sigil associated with a known terrorist group. And then YouTube bucked back and they said, look, these videos don't violate our policies against violence or hate speech. We have people singing songs a capella, or we have people who are talking about Al Qaeda in an analytical way, so you can't just automate taking that signal out. It's weird because you know, I mentioned the Arab uprisings for the Arab Spring in particular, this was another watershed moment. People around the world are seeing self immolation, They're seeing massive acts of horrendous violence and inspiring protests, and the company has to change its approach to moderation. This is where we have pretty nasty stuff happening.
Speaker 3: We're also seeing leaked footage of things that at this time twenty ten, around those time, things that active military and like private military US troops are doing in Afghanistan and Iraq in particular. We're seeing videos like that show up on YouTube and get shared from it and then get taken down.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: That was happening rapidly in that time. Yes, so there's there, really is. You can see why Lieberman and a bunch of other appeal I heard that name in a long time, just Y too, leabermen. But just you can see why there was a major push to censor the things that could get published, right, and you want you want to stop them before somebody has to take it.
Speaker 2: Down because you're powerful and you want to control the narrative.
Speaker 4: For sure, but you also don't want to seem like you're doing that, yes, exactly. So then it becomes a matter of public relations. And then you found this great comment from the manager of YouTube News, or YouTube's manager of News, Olivia Maw who in twenty eleven, referring to the kinds of content we're talking about, said, normally this type of violence would violate our community guidelines in terms of service, and we would remove them. But we have a clause in our community guidelines that make an exception for videos that are educational, documentary, or scientific in nature. In these cases, we actually make an exception and say we understand that these videos have real news value. That's a great way of characterizing it. But it would seem to your point earlier, Ben or I can't remember who said this. They also have a way of bending their own rules depending on what the footage in question is and maybe what government is yelling at them about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we all know, folks, how rules are. When you're the one who makes the rules. It's a lot less like saying thou shalt or thou shalt not. It's a lot more like saying what do I feel like eating tonight? I know I said I was gonna get something vegan, but it might be barbecue nite'. That's what often happens when these these entities don't have an outside authority and YouTube is doing its best right. YouTube is the Mickey Mouse sorcerer's apprentice who never knew there would be that many mops or brooms or a flood. So at this point, YouTube has around eight hundred million users. At this point in time, it's the third most visited website on the planet entire and Google has noted by this time that a lot of those DCMA takedown requests are coming from not private entities. They're coming directly from governments. So what if we take a pause for a word from our sponsors and dive even deeper into the water. We're back. We've got to recommend a phenomenal journalist, Gillian c. York. Jillian c. York is writing for Vice back in the day and says the company's decision making YouTube has become considerably more questionable. They went up against US intelligence agencies who were claiming that a short film, though was quite Islamophobic, called The Innocence of Muslims, was partially responsible for the attacks in Benghazi. If everybody remembers when US facilities in Magazi were attacked. YouTube had a call directly with the White House. They blocked the video only in Libya and Egypt, and protests were already beginning to erupt because this film had already been dead. To your point, Noe, this film had already been aired on Egyptian broadcast television. The Libyan government and the Egyptian government civil organizations in either country. They were never in the conversation. It was from the United States, half a world away, and YouTube, nobody else on the ground is included. And other countries started demanding, hey, remove this video. YouTube played along with some of those countries, but they they iced out or stonewalled others. And one country in particular, great example named by Yorke in their article is Pakistan. Pakistan said, hey, you're not going to respect us. Nobody gets YouTube, nobody about YouTube for you, No YouTube for you. Yeah, it's weird because there are it's always the bag of badgers of censorship. Right are we inciting people to violence? Where we allow people to speak their minds even if we know they're incorrect or racist or evil. YouTube is trying at this point in time to respond to these. Again, not corporations, state level actors, governments say take down this specific video and anything like it. That's what YouTube was and is in such a tough spot. It's an economy of scale that incorporates, incorporates controversy as well as profit. The company is under so much fire because there are people who feel it is not doing enough to curb the spread of hateful content. And there are people who are saying, and you are going way too far. We don't have to get too much into the weeds of this. It is a bag of badgers, chock full of controversy in the modern day. The main thing you have to know is that powerful, very powerful entities want to be able to control this platform. They have contradictory demands. They also have they got int a Kobyashi Maru. For any Star Trek fan, there is a a no win situation. You cannot please all your customers and all your masters. And maybe here guys at the end, because we have so much, because we do have personal experience, we can talk about demonetization. This is on the ground threat well for.
Speaker 4: Sure, and I think we haven't really mentioned the whole idea of how you Tube became an economy of scale for a home new class of creators who would come to rely on the income that their video is generated. So when you have this potential for depriving these individuals of their ability to earn a living based on the nature of the content that they've been making for however long, all of a sudden those guidelines change and they're demonetizing, aka pulling ads from your videos.
Speaker 2: You then are being.
Speaker 4: Threatened essentially, and it's a form of censorship kind of like shadow bands on Instagram, where you're not outright told necessarily that if you say this we won't promote your stuff as much. Just all of a sudden, you are noticing that your reach has been diminished significantly, and you're not really told why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, demonetization is one of those fancy words that sounds good in a boardroom. It's a corporate term for, like you said, the removing ad revenue, in this case from YouTube creators. Host anything you want, but we may bury it in the algorithm. We won't allow you to make money even your little you're laughably small percentage of whatever an ad is, and a lot of frustrated video creators to your point, recognize what I would call the near hominem here. So a homonym is two different words that sound the same but mean different things. They feel like demonetization is really demonization, right and patently unfair, especially when regarding sensitive issues. Now, in the interest of full disclosure, folks, you need to know that we have you know, we have a crow in the game here because we have personally encountered automated demonetization when we created video essays on certain sensitive subjects, and you can appeal that. Guys.
Speaker 4: I'd love for you to speak more to that on the YouTube side of it, maybe even talk about some analytics. You can appeal that, but by the time you've appealed that, as we know, YouTube videos only really hit in a certain window of when they're dropped, and then if you've lost out on that window to make money off of those hits, it ain't coming back even if your appeal is successful.
Speaker 3: Yep, it's all a big algorithm. It's all about the first twelve twenty four hours. That's every video that drops on YouTube.
Speaker 2: It started in twenty twelve, the automated demonetization.
Speaker 3: Which is exactly well, it's around the same time when we started our channel, Conspiracy Stuff. We used to make stuff on how stuff works on their main channel, and then we started posting on our brand new channel, which was YouTube dot com slash Conspiracy Stuff October twenty twelve. And just to give you an example of these things, because we encountered it almost immediately as we were making shows. Here's one of the earliest videos we ever put on our channel, Edward Burne's three colon the Legacy November thirtieth, twenty twelve, had ninety two thousand views. As of today, it has ninety two thousand views. It was almost immediately switched to limited ad earnings. Content not suitable for advertisers.
Speaker 4: What about it isn't suitable? That's wild Edward Brenees was a marketing dude.
Speaker 3: That's like, yeah, well, you also know that's not many views at all. So here's something to also keep in mind. The number of views you get on a particular video has a lot to do with the number of subscribers you have that are active, that have notifications turned on. Has to do with discoverability of like a video that's chosen for suitability to be discoverable by others. It has all it's this huge algorithm that has to do with right. And if you do really good and you make the type of video with the right words in your description and your title, and with your metadata correct, with your image, your thumbnail, and it doesn't have any profanity, doesn't have any sexual imagery, doesn't have all these other things in it has the right number of human faces, then you're gonna you know, you're getting like plus one every time you do these things right. And then inside your video, if your host, your person talking, your AI generated thing, whatever it is, as long as it says the right things and doesn't say the wrong things, you're getting more plus ones plus ones plus ones in our case, guys, I think it's I think we only have metrics for money. Since April of twenty twenty four, That's what I can see on our creator page right now. Since April of twenty twenty four, that video has earned thirty two cents. Now, No, but seriously, think about that. A video that we cared a lot about made in twenty twelve, it's been around since then. It's only got ninety two thousand views, but thirty two cents.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean we talk.
Speaker 4: About like your average is run of the mill, like a new big content creator.
Speaker 2: Ninety two thousand views is a lot.
Speaker 4: And I was always understood that the metric was like a million views you make about.
Speaker 2: One thousand bucks.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that hold is true today, but that still seems insane and the product of this unsuitability factor.
Speaker 3: We give you a few more videos so we can really like think about some of this stuff. Ben, you'll remember this one March sixth twenty thirteen, Libya, The Fall of Gadaffi two hundred and forty two thousand views, nine cents. Since April twenty twenty four, we've made on that again said content's not suitable.
Speaker 2: What are some other videos you'd like to mention?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just trying to give everybody versions of like, here's the type of content that we found important and important enough to spend all of our time on these things put them out. It was once a week at this time, once or twice a week at this time that we were making videos. Danny Casileiro in the Octopus May tenth, twenty twenty four, one hundred and fifty seven thousand views twenty four cents that we've made on that video.
Speaker 4: My question though, is like, do they not have any ruberg for what qualifies as suitable?
Speaker 2: Yes? Is it a black box? Oh? Yes, No, I'd love to get to that. Yeah, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 4: No, No, we must that's the next logical step I think if it's The answer is yes.
Speaker 3: Just the simple answer to that question is YouTube does not have a list of words you can't say and stuff like that. But there are all of these guidelines that you can find. They're a little morphous, a little confusing, because it's a nice little mixture, right man, of humans and automated algorithms and things that are scanning videos. It's a nice little mixture, so you never really know who's going to be or what's going to be looking at your stuff, and it's a bit of a crapshoot every once in a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for instance, we were demonetized on things that forced us to read some tea leaves right to your point to go back, you guys and say, well, what was it that made you also persnicty. We know that YouTube began demonetizing videos in one T twelve based on advertising guidelines you can and based on some surveys they have with advertisers. Put honestly, you can read a great article about that from The Daily Dot back in twenty sixteen. That's a good primer to the point about the automation. That's the real devil's bargain here, because the first wave of demonization or demonetization is not done by humans meatmechs. It is automated. It is algorithmic. It looks at metadata of videos as well as other factors like which videos naturally linked to yours, which I think was a big deal in the Libya exploration. And it also says their question is not is this dangerous to society? Their question is is this something an advertiser would or would not want to be associated with. So you can imagine easily, folks, how this affected show those that explored conspiracy theories, especially as the term conspiracy theory became once again weaponized in the US. This it's a shadow band, like you were saying, no, it's not, it's not to and we don't want to come off bitter. We're grateful to YouTube. It was not to. It was not meant to stamp down information, at least the way they wrote this stuff. It was meant to stamp out disinformation and to satisfy advertising partners. It also in the in the big days, like in the original days, it was very difficult to know that your video had been demonetized. You could you could notice if you took a granular look at analytics like we always did. You could ask you to what happened, and we did. You could appeal, and we did in several cases, but other than that, there's not much else you could do with it.
Speaker 4: Well, and you've missed that window again, like even if you win your appeal, like you've totally missed the crucial time for views that would then create monetization if you get it approved after the fact you're not getting that time back right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to which point my question now evolves from uh, from is YouTube democratizing stuff? The answer was yes for a while and still is yes to a degree. But now has YouTube become similar to the same oppressive forces that it was originally invented to circumvent. These claims can be treated on a case by case basis, but they all have their own bag of badgers. It's it's very difficult. I'm not saying YouTube is automatically now the bad guys, but I am saying, you know, you stay at a barbershop long enough, you get a haircut.
Speaker 3: We're a whole for one second, so you can like subscribe and hit that little bell so you never miss a new video. Wait, what are we doing? Ad break? We'll be right back. I'm gonna make the argument that what YouTube and Alphabet and Google and everybody they are actively participating in stepped thought control. I think that's what they're doing. That's my argument. It's my opinion here. Think about Ben, take yourself back to the number of hours you would spend making a single YouTube video, really, like back to twenty twelve. Just how much time you would spend writing, being in front of the camera in the studio, recording audio. The amount of time I would spend behind the camera with you shooting stuff, The amount of time I would spend it at an editing bay, and then you know, writing all the meta, getting all the stuff together, and then putting out a single video. Just how much time that is. Now, if you can't, if you can't make money for that time right that you are spending, that's not a job. And if you can't make it your job, then this has to be your pastime, the thing you do for fun, And that's a ton of time and hours that you're spending making this stuff. So what they are doing by demonetizing these videos is forcing people to not have a job making stuff that is not suitable for advertisers. Because we were paid, We were paid salaries to make these videos, and that's why we could make them, right, that's the only reason why we could put this content out is because somebody thought to pay us a salary to make this kind of stuff, to pursue the things that we thought were interesting and important for people. But if as an independent creator, you can't, you can't make money doing this because all your stuff gets demonetized, then you have to fall in line and make videos only about the stuff that YouTube wants you to make videos about.
Speaker 4: That's true to a point, Matt, I just want to push back slightly that there are other ways now more than ever. You know Patreon, for example, where you're getting paid directly by the folks that are consuming your stuff, and they're paying your salary in that way to allow you Because at the very least YouTube isn't straight up kicking people off for doing stuff they don't like. They're just not letting them make money on their built in ad sales monetization system. You can also advertise directly in the content of your video and have relationships with advertising agencies that allow you to get money from episodes by having those direct sales, let's call it. So it's the very least you could I'm not trying to I'm just be Devil's advocate here. They're not kicking people off for saying things that they don't like. They're just excluding them from a built in way of making money. And it doesn't mean there aren't other ways to do it so that you can still We'll capture that audience and then have that audience pay you directly.
Speaker 3: It just means you have to have a Patreon or an OnlyFans or whatever it is that you use to actually make money with the stuff you put onto this platform. Just to give one more metric, guys, the watch time on our channel watch time lifetime watch time is five million, three hundred and eight thousand, seven hundred and twenty eight point nine hours that people have spent watching our videos. Since April of twenty twenty four, our channel, which has five hundred and ninety four thousand subscribers, has made six thousand, two hundred and sixty six dollars and eighty one cents.
Speaker 2: Think about this, I'll see you at Dave and Busters.
Speaker 3: No, but but think about that divided on a monthly basis, divided on the money, the number of people that make this show. Think about that.
Speaker 2: It's nothing.
Speaker 4: But if you have people it's like two hundred something dollars, you will have people that make that every day on Patreon. You know that'll make one hundred and grand a month on Patreon and that is their bread and butter. So I'm just saying the world has it is a little bit different, and it's not like you rely exclusively on YouTube to pay for your existence. There are other ways.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying that that's okay.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying that YouTube to your appointment, isn't participating in some level of minor thought control or whatever however you want to put it. I just think that at the very least, they're not like completely wholesale deplatforming people for saying things that they don't like.
Speaker 3: I get it, But Ben, what was that number you gave us early on about the amount of money YouTube is gonna probably.
Speaker 2: Make sure yeap again? YouTube is projected to hit sixty two billion dollars worth of that revenue here in twenty twenty six. Folks, Just just.
Speaker 3: Really think about that, the amount of money that corporation makes versus if you don't do the things that you're supposed to do, you're gonna make that two hundred dollars a month.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe right, Unless you're mister beast, unless you're you're towing a line hitting lightning in a bottle a zeitgeist, we have nothing but nothing but an attaboy and respect for people who are who are playing the game. As long as you are being intellectually sincere, as long as you are not lying to people are hurting them for money. We don't have time to get into the quote unquote AI. I hate that term, but you do need to know that as of twenty twenty five, roughly twenty percent of the content on YouTube has especially in YouTube shorts, has been found to be AI slop. I have a pitch for you, guys. This is my personal opinion and I usually don't like injecting these, but see, I would love to hear your thoughts. I see right now YouTube at a crossroads because it's getting again a kobyashi maru and no win scenario from so many stakeholders as they call them in boardrooms. It's also at a situation where, just to its gigantic Leviathan nature, someone outside of YouTube, many players, want to get a hold of it. And if those extremely powerful forces who want to gaslight their narratives to the world at large, if one of those outsiders gets too too much control over YouTube, things are going to be bad for everyone involved, and it will happen. I think it is at this point, you know, when we originally wanted to do this episode. I think we're pulled back for a number of reasons. But now it is quite possible that something outside of YouTube, probably a state actor, a large corporation that controls a state actor, will get a hold of it and will push the narrative. We have so much more to talk about. We know that also, YouTube's important. That's the other point I have to make. Ah, we didn't even talk about this. YouTube is not a video platform anymore. It is kind of right in your day to day But at this point in twenty twenty six, fellow conspiracy realist want you to know and admit this is a library. It is a global library of human experience, of ephemera of like you know, you go to the redwood forest and you see a redwood that has been cut down and you practice dendo chronology. You learn about the world when that redwood was growing. You can learn about the world and history for now via YouTube stuff from you know, just a few decades ago. And it's not even a matter of access other than Internet access, right, That's why you got to check out awesome stuff. I'd love to recommend preserve tube spelled like it sounds.
Speaker 4: For sure, And I mean, you know, early days of YouTube, especially as pertains to some of that copyright strike stuff and the digital Millennium Copyright Act, like that library aspect of it.
Speaker 2: All involve copyright infringement. You know.
Speaker 4: It was like, okay, I could upload this contents of this VHS that you can't find anymore, and then that aspect of it, Ben, I would argue, is also under threat because of the coziness that they have, the platform has with advertisements. They don't want to be controversial and allow some of this kind of more archival stuff to be uploaded unfettered. You might have like an MTV concert, you know, from the nineties that's up there, and in theory, if it is uploaded by a user and not through MTV's official channel, that might not be long for this world. I mean, there was a video of my mother singing in the opera that was on YouTube for years and I'm.
Speaker 2: So grateful that I screen grabbed the.
Speaker 4: Video and the audio of it because it went away and I didn't think it was ever going to but for whatever reason, it went away. And I don't know why.
Speaker 2: Global Library of Ephemera. You know, I think there's something to hold on to here. I think this matters. Do check out preserve toob Matt what's on your mind? Oh?
Speaker 3: Nothing, I I just think you should look up reasons for demonetization after this, you should look up the profanity guidelines. There's an update in June or July of last year on some of the things that you can and can't say. Again, there's no official list of like blacklisted words or something that YouTube has out there, but the number of human beings that use YouTube on a daily basis to kind of stay up to date on things, especially when people have to pay for news nowadays. You know, if you might have to pay for YouTube premium if you don't want the ads, but people just kind of go through it because it's what they can afford. Our thoughts are generated from the things we're exposed to, and when the only things that we're exposed to are the things that are advertiser friendly, is just painting a picture of what the future could be, right and what we can think about and how we're going to view the world. And I think it. Brockness sent an email while I was away. They said, like, what is this guy on about? Why is he Why is Matt so frustrated by things? It's because I personally see a view of the world that is shaping in a way that is very uncomfortable in draconian and bad and YouTube is a part of it. And it doesn't mean that's right, that's what I see. I'm with you, man, But it is also beautiful, Ben, as you were saying, it's also a beautiful thing.
Speaker 4: Well, no, and Ben, I mean, I'm completely agreeing with your archival perspective of it. I think there is still some of that out there, but a lot of the stuff that's most important to an archival aspect sort of flies under the radar. And just you know, my case study of this one clip of my mother, you know of a VHS that was uploaded by some random user from a thing that was put out in the eighties all of a sudden disappeared. I just think because of that cozy advertiser centric relationship that YouTube has, some of that archival aspect of it could be under threat on a long enough timeline, you know, as those things are maybe filtered out because they don't want to deal with the hassle of having to you know, have advertisers worried about being served up in copywritten content.
Speaker 2: And we've got so much more to get to folks, we didn't really get a chance to explore the AI stuff, the supposed brain rot. We are in full disclosure overall fans of YouTube. This platform has been integral to our show. It has provided immense learning opportunities. Definitely helped me out in a couple of couple of situations. As we said, you can find a ton of our work on YouTube and multiple formats, and I just gotta say go humanity, Go human beings from me at the zoo to billions of dollars and billions of people. I do think YouTube will get heavily compromised in the horizon, but we want to know your thoughts and also just to keep it positive instead of a random fact in email, Folks, why don't you share with us the weirdest or funniest stuff you've seen on YouTube? Shout out to everybody who gets the reference. Not my chair, not my problem, you know the drill smash that like button subscribe. We want to hear your thoughts. There are a number of ways to get in touch with us, that's right.
Speaker 4: If you would like, you can reach out to the handles Conspiracy Stuff or Conspiracy Stuff Show on whichever social media platform you enjoy. You'll find us on one of them.
Speaker 3: Hey, are you watching us on YouTube. Don't forget there's an audio feed. You can find it. It's all over the place, in various place you just look for it. You can find our episode from when was it October nineteenth, twenty eighteen, thought Control? What's up with YouTube's algorithm? That's when we looked at this along like what almost ten years ago, and we were talking about some of these things. It has changed shape a lot. We would love to hear you, hear your voice and your thoughts, so call us. Our number is one eight three three std WYTK. When you call in, give yourself a cool nickname and let us know within the message if we can use your name and message on one of our listener mail episodes that show up in the audio feeds. Hey, you can also email us.
Speaker 2: That's right, this is one of the best ways to contact us. Twenty four hours a night, seven evenings a week. You can send us the links. We'll all see it immediately. We can all respond. You will take us to the edge of the rabbit hole. We will do the rest. Send us your favorite random, weirdest, coolest YouTube video from the past. We'll see you out here in the dark. Conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 3: Stuff They Don't Want You to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.