Speaker 1: Their leadoff men are on basing about two seventy thus far this year, and Ronald is a market improvement to that, and I think that makes Olsen better, Riley better.
Speaker 2: Grand McCauley covers the Braves for ninety two nine in the game host of From the Diamond, among many other gigs all over the Brave scene. Back with us, Grant, we love having you on, Thanks for the time, give us the goods. First on Spencer Strider. So he's back and had very I would say candid words about how he was pissed about his first start pack, then his second start of the year and second start since the long surgery. So where are we at with him?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think this is going to be a matter of, in some respects knocking the rust off. And it's kind of a shame that he works so hard for a calendar year to get himself back, only to land on the injured list with a separate malady that caused him to sit around. And I say that loosely because obviously he was still working over that time. So I think he's going to kind of have to get back to where he was before the hamstring and then find his way to make his incremental improvements. But there is no two ways about the fact that this is one of the most competitive pitchers players I think maybe in any sport for that matter. And he's very candid and he's very direct about his expectations for himself and what he wants to provide to the Atlanta Braves. So I think you heard some of that or read some of that after last night's start. It's kind of a journey throughout the course of coming back from an injury like this to get back to where he wants to get to. But if hard work and those and talent we combine the way that they have for Spencer Strider in the past, I would think that he's going to find his way there.
Speaker 3: It just might take a little while.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I agree totally with you. This guy is an absolute stud. He's been doing it for a couple of years now. Now. My question along those lines are, how did how does his teammates perceive him? I mean, he talks this you know, big thing about you know, not doing well, which I think is courageous. I think is honesty. I love honesty, Like, how do how do his team mates take them? And they got to be happy as a clam right now having him back.
Speaker 3: No doubt about it.
Speaker 1: And I actually heard Mett Olson say after a game on the recent homestand or the recent road trip rather that like, he's one of the leaders of this club. And I think that it's easy to see and easy to understand why because of who he is and how he approaches the game on and off the field. He has a tremendous respect, I think, for his opportunity and his job each and every time he takes the ball, and that's one of the things that I think makes him so authentic. And I think we all like authenticity, and Spencer Strider is one of those people that doesn't come around too incredibly often, so it's tremendous to have him back in there. But obviously he knows he wants to get himself back to that level physically where he's able to impact the game the way that he's used to doing prior to this most recent elbow surgery.
Speaker 4: I think this next streak they have going along here they got after Washington, here, they got San Diego, Philly and Boston. I feel like this is gonna, in my opinion, prove to be where they're at right now. During the season, not saying if they do bad, they're not going to climb back, but this is a big series coming up. Where do you see this Brave's team. They're five hundred right now, where do you see this going?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And how hard was it to get to five hundred when you start to season zero and seven. So I think they probably felt behind or behind the eight ball a little bit early on, but we're able to keep the confidence that it is a long season, it's a marathon. And once they were able to get back to some version of full strength, which obviously we can talk about how Ron Lacuna Junior could factor into that they were going to play the kind of baseball they expect to. And since starting out five and thirteen, they pretty much have played at about a six hundred clip. That will punch your ticket to the postseason, even if you've had a less than stellar start, and that ultimately is their big goal. But you're going to have to test yourself against the kinds of teams that you're going to see there. They know all about the Padres and the Phillies and clubs like that, especially the last three years in October, So even if nobody's looking at it and saying it is to your point, the end all be all. You'd like to measure yourself up against the be and feel like you're on the right path. And I think the Braves have been. But this will be the latest test to kind of see where this version of the Braves is at this point in the season.
Speaker 3: Obviously, they you know, they don't want to be five hundred, but they're happy that they're five hundred right now based on how it started. But back to Strider, how long do you think the ORG can continue to lean on him or how long do you think the ORG feels like they're fine with some diminished velocity. You saw him get hurt yesterday by breaking balls that you're like, eh, normally those breaking balls are not the ones he's throwing in those locations. And then he got hit hurt by ninety five by Dylan Cruz. He looked more mortal. So how long can the ORG say, hey, you know what, we know, we're not going to get one hundred percent Strider for the first however many starts. But how long is that for the Braves? Yeah, it's a good question.
Speaker 1: I think as long as he's competitive in keeping them in game, he will continue to get the opportunity to make those improvements and to get back to where he is. But obviously, to the point of everything that everybody's doing all year long, you want to win. And that's not lost on Spencer's strider either, which is why I think those comments last night, particularly referencing, Look, they had to send Bryce Elder out for me to get this chance, and I'm not pitching well. And if I don't pitch well, I don't deserve to be out there. So with that, it's the backdrop of all of this. If those Candi comments are to be taking at face value, which I have no reason to believe they're not, he understands what's at stake. If he's not able to make these adjustments, now are the days of ninety seven ninety eight continually in the zone and you know this fastball slider behind him. I don't know if I'm prepared to say that, because I think that Spencer wanted to make some improvements to his arsenal that allowed him to be able to be a true pitcher and to have that finesse and to be able to have options to keep hitters off of certain pitches and just evolve, I guess, but at some point I think you got to go with what works. And he said this before to him last spring when the curveball was the big conversation. Look, I'm a fastball, slider pitcher. I know that, but I do like to have other options, and I think he's trying to work on some of those.
Speaker 3: But back to the.
Speaker 1: Main point, You've got to be able to compete with your best stuff, and I think that Spencer Strider is not quite there in terms of his absolute best and most consistent fastball for sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, first I need to ask a question to set up my next question. It's just yes or no. Rono Viccunya will not be an MVP caliber player right when he gets back. I'm gonna say no, Okay, that's fine, and that's fine. I'm not gonna hold you to it. If he does awesome, great, not expecting seventy bags, a million homers, all that stuff. Yet with Olsen just hitting with not Olsen just hitting his tenth home run, I think last night, is he the biggest key or is Austin Riley the biggest key in this lineup moving forward the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: I think moving forward, the rest of this. If we're putting Acuna over off into his own special category, that Matt Olson is probably the most important X factor Outside of that, I think we've seen what we need to see from Austin Riley, But I would probably put those guys in a dead heat, a one A one B kind of scenario if you're talking about the importance of stacking this lineup to do the kind of damage the Braves are accustomed to. But keep in mind what Matt Olsen was a couple of years ago, a fifty plus homer hitter who can drive in one hundred and forty runs. If that's the ceiling, and maybe it's the outlier, it's still not crazy to think that he can do seventy five percent of that, which would make him by my simple math, you're a forty homer hitter who couldkno get one hundred ten or one hundred and twenty runs, and that is most definitely what the Braves need. But to drive in those kind of runs, how about having Acunya back at the top of the order, even if he's not the MVP. For his career per one sixty two, Ronald has averaged one hundred and thirty runs score. That's what they need at the top of the order because their leadoff men are on basing about two seventy thus far this year, and Ronald is a market improvement to that. And I think that makes Olsen better, Riley better, Ozuna better, and on down the list.
Speaker 2: Krats. I'm gonna let everyone in on a little secret. I am not a fan of carrying around physical cash. I go cash app where you can send, receive, or transfer money with family and friends. It's super easy. They got your back to Like, if you're trying to send some money and you maybe put in the wrong account name, they'll be like, hey, this is a sketchy account. Are you sure you want to send this? Cash app has your back. They do it safe, securely, easily and fee free.
Speaker 3: And all you got to do is download the app and Scott can actually pay for his half of.
Speaker 2: Dinner exactly for a limited time only, New cash app users can use our exclusive code to earn some additional cash for real.
Speaker 3: There's no catch.
Speaker 2: Download cash app, sign up, It's very easy, and use our exclusive referral code Territory in your profiles. Bucks to a friend within fourteen days and you'll get ten dollars dropped right into your account. Terms apply. That's money, that's cash.
Speaker 3: At Has Nick Allen filled in admirably or just filled in for this Braves team?
Speaker 1: I think he's filled in admirably. Defensively speaking, he has been above and beyond I think anybody's realistic expectations, even if you kind of knew maybe he was a glove first infielder, the plays that he makes, the setup that he has, the instincts that he has, I mean, it's been very, very impressive. And he's not going to hit a ton. I think we've kind of seen, you know, what we saw coming in. Maybe that's there's not much there, though his minor league numbers were encouraging that maybe.
Speaker 3: There was a little something.
Speaker 1: But I think if the rest of this lineup is hitting, you're pretty happy with what you're getting defensively. But to go back to the conversation of the winter and really, since Dansby Swanson left, are the Braves settled at shortstop?
Speaker 3: I'm not convinced of that.
Speaker 4: Still a lot of question marks, and we're forty eight games in, we're almost what we're getting there. It seems like the year is flying right by my question to you is, I know it's a little far away, but can you see this team during the trade deadline do something here, especially if they are, you know, a few games out, or is this a team right now? It's like, we'll see where we go. Hopefully we get everybody back after injury.
Speaker 1: I feel like they're set up to do something at the trade deadline, and there's almost more pressure to do so because they weren't able to accomplish their winter goals. I mean, in no version of the script would I say, well, the Braves looked at their pitching staff and thought they didn't need anything. I think they would have liked to have gotten another high leverage reliever, which was only exacerbated when Joey Menez could be out for the year. And I think they would have liked to have added somebody to fortify the rotation and really give them that standout group. So I think that those are still areas that they're going to go out and shop for now, getting Strider back and hopefully finding his form again, which is a big part of his return, is an impact arm. It's a question about that Acunya back. I mean, what club wouldn't like to be looking at players like that and welcoming those guys back in for the run through the dog days this summer and beyond the trade deadline and all the things that are ahead. So I think that they are poised to do something at the trade deadline, and I've heard Alex Anthopolos talk about it. The math for them, how they look at the luxury tax and when you get to the trade deadline, you're really only talking about having to pay for a third of that player's salary for the year. So I think that could make them a very intriguing team out there lurking for some big names and some big ads when the trade deadline does get here, and to be frank, they might need them.
Speaker 3: Does Craig Kimberl get more or less than five saves on this season for the Atlanta Braves.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say less because I do think Ryce Eleglacias is capable of figuring it out, so it's kind of out of Craig Kimberl's hands. He's been trending better in Triple A Guinette. I think the velocity is finally starting to tick up. He's starting to make back to back appearances. I think he could be a factor. I mean, you look at that resume, how could you overlook him or underestimate him? But there were some serious questions at the end of last year about his ability to be that guy in the ninth inning for the final three outs, which is a crazy thing to say about someone who's fifth all time and saves. But I still think it's a Glacius's job to lose. I don't think we've seen the best version of ryceell Iglesias, and I think that those adjustments can and will be made, and the Braves very much need him to because they don't need one more question on top of everything else, which is who's going to get the last three outs for us?
Speaker 2: Grant, tell me where we're at with Rice l. I mean he's still pretty consistently giving up runs. I mean I'm not seeing even in the past, what five six appearances now a lot of clean outings. The era is close to six. What are you seeing, right, I don't see every single appearance. What are you seeing? And why do you think that it can be fixed?
Speaker 1: His home run rate, I believe should normalize. I mean, he's not going to give up eighteen or twenty home runs this year. And the Braves certainly aren't going to allow that to happen in the ninth inning most certainly, so they're going to have to sort that out. And that's the adjustment I think he has to make. Because last year he allowed four homers and roughly seventy innings. He's already allowed to believe half a dozen in twenty or thereabouts innings this year, so that rate is off the charts. But he's looked better. I feel like over the past week or two. He was used infrequently early on. I don't know if that might have kind of gotten him a little bit out of the norm coming out of spring training because he didn't have save opportunities there for about two weeks, so that could be part of it. But the stuff's still there. I think he's just made some mistakes. He's hung some pitches, and he hasn't been able to get away with those mistakes. But I haven't noticed anything that makes me feel like Ryce I Iglesias looks like a shell of himself, or that he's just doesn't have it. I think he's just got to make those adjustments. The Braves believe he can and he will. But as we all know, father time is undefeated and you know, closers, relievers. I mean, it's volatile, like you just don't have guys that you know, never run into a bad patch or a bad you know time in their career where they maybe get taken out of that leverage position. That being said, that would be the most unideal thing to happen at think in the bras bulpin as it's currently constructed.
Speaker 2: And the confidence flow of that position, right, I mean, yesterday we spoke to Pap about it. It's like, even if you're unlucky, but it happens a few times in a row, things can spiral. Yeah, yeah, so we'll see what happens. But Grant always great insight. Great to have you on everyone watching here. If you don't already get Granted file, you can see everything that he's doing. But on Twitter it's just his name first and last, Grant McCauley. Thank you, Grant, good to see you. Thanks guys, Let's get some more. That's what he said. Let's go to Luis Robert through an interpreter. He said, right now, as my season is going, I don't think anybody is going to take a chance on me. I just focus on trying to get better. I can't think of anything else. I mean, he's the sub two hundred batting average, sub three hundre on base, just a hair over three hundred on his slugging percentage. You're kind of like, damn, what happened? This was a really fun player to watch. He's had trouble staying on the field, but it's like space jam. Yeah, someone took his powers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, listen, I'm not a big fan of the quote. I feel like he's kind of throwing in the towel here. How about how about saying, hey, listen, I know I'm struggling, but I'm one bad away from getting my mind right and getting after it. I want to He's a confident guy. I believe he's gonna get back on track. I like the way he plays. I mean, listen, a couple of years ago, I have forty home runs, one or two home runs. He had thirty eight or thirty nine, and he's he's fine. He's just going through it right now. You know that kind of quote there that would steer me away from wanting a guy the confidence. I mean, listen, you're in the big leagues for a reason. You're going to struggle. That's part of it. It's how you get out of it. All of the sun. These next three weeks, he can go off on a terry, but about in two fifteen, no time. That's that's the biggest problem. The psyche up here. You gotta be mentally strong in baseball and here a quote like that. It's kind of sad at the same time because we know and we've seen him do really good. I just think he's mentally needs to get right and understand how good he really is.
Speaker 3: Chris gets he's like, no, stop stop talking, stop talking. This has been the mo around him, and we had never really heard much from him. The m around him was like, don't know, Like is he fully engaged every game because he still has his superpowers. He clearly wants to get a stolen base he's got. I think he's leading the league right now. I think he's got seventeen or eighteen stone bases. Like he's running when he's on his on base percentage, while it is lower than his career norm, his walk rate has gone up. Maybe that's because nobody's around him. To me, if he he's a change of scenery guy, the GM that trades for him, is taking a risk that wherever he fits into, he's going to be like, you know what I want. I want to win and I want to be the best player that I can be, because when he is that guy, I don't believe in outliers. I don't believe, and I believe when you have a season, an elite season like he had, you're only playing under that. That is not like he'll never reach that again. I disagree. I think he's playing below those expectations. And really, it's hard to come to the park every day if you're not motivated for something. He's got a contract, it's going to be a little bit till he needs another contract. But your team is losing one hundred games back to back seasons. Last year they weren't even competitive at all. So it's hard. It's hard to get going for some guys because he's not really he's not playing for his life. And if he keeps malasing through the season, he's not gonna have any trade value.
Speaker 2: He's right, he's not gonna cost as much right now. If the White Sox do want to move him. It gets tricky for the Socks though, because then you're like, okay, we have basically no payroll, so that's not the problem. We might as well let him try to find it again and increase his value. There's still years left on the deal. It's not like he's a free agent after this season either, So it does get tricky when it comes to the asking price.
Speaker 4: That's very tricky, and it's not a good time for the White Sox right now at all. I mean to get anybody really in return.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Alloy was a very promising bat and by the end of trade deadline time last year, the Orioles picked him up. Are like the Orioles and I don't remember it being a big return. And you're like, or he might. Did he get cut or did he get traded? I don't even know whatever it was. My point is, CRATSN that was a really good looking group for a very short period of time, and these guys aren't old in baseball terms.
Speaker 5: Scott, you need to check out this Roeback hoodie I have. It's eighty five plus degrees here in Florida. Look lightweight, feels great, cool colors perfect for those hot Florida days.
Speaker 2: I agree, aj color looks fire and you can get your own sweatshirt polo hoodie. Go check out roeback and if you do in your first time customer rowback dot com using the code foul gets you twenty percent off your first purchase RHO b A c K dot com code fo U L get after at ftfan.
Speaker 3: We are we saying the Orioles are going to be those that trifecta, the Orioles trifecta. Are they going to be what the White Sox trifecta ended up being? I mean, think about the White Sox. They had e Lloyd, they had, they had Yoamankata, Luise, Robert. All of them kind of fizzled at the same time. Not old not you know, they didn't. The only thing they lost was Jose Abrahu, that kind of leader in the clubhouse, the guy that kind of kept them accountable, and then their production went down. Orioles, are they gonna see the same thing from Gunner and Adlee or are they going to be able to turn it around?
Speaker 2: Joan, Luis, Robert and Looyjmenez are not thirty years old yet, none of them that's in Yawn's twenty nine. Eloye is twenty eight, Robert is twenty seven.
Speaker 3: How many managers did they have through their prime of their time in Chicago. Shame on the Chicago organization. That's all I have to say about that. Shame on them for not putting people in their lives to get the most out of them. I Ultimately it's up to them. Ultimately, it's up to each of those guys. But they went through I'm not sure who the manager was before Tony LaRussa.
Speaker 2: I can do this game with you.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, I can.
Speaker 2: I can get the year, the year to year, just so we can try and track how many managers they had.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm forgetting who was there there before Tony.
Speaker 4: I was. I was there with Rick.
Speaker 2: So well, let's start with what's the first season. So Mancata's first year with the White Sox was twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: Clearly, clearly because Todd forgot that they were teammates. So I remember that.
Speaker 2: Yep, so we know what they so ready for this toia? Right, Rick Rentoia was your manager, right in twenty seventeen, Griffall what.
Speaker 4: Was his name?
Speaker 2: Fall was later? Yeah, then you had Tony Larusa, right, it took over for Rick yep, yep, Miguel Cairo after Tony. I was brief but Cairo, So that's three Besa, Pedro Grifol that's four, Grady Sizemore that's five, And for the Robert who's still there, it's Will Venable. I'm counting six managers since twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: If you want somebody to be engaged, if you want somebody to be engaged, you also have to be engaged with them. You also have to build up that rapport, that relationship. And sometimes we fail as leaders, as managers, as coaches at being engaged with our players. But for three guys in one organization to have as big a lapses as they have, people will be like, oh, at least Robert lou Bob he was. He was legit, and you're right, he was legit. But to me, I don't think that is his max. I think he can do more because of the skill set that he has.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to see what it looks like somewhere else. Moncott is actually starting to heat up a little bit. Did you see his homer yesterday? Oh my gosh, he pulled.
Speaker 3: The well and he hit well on Triple A Stadium.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, do you know what he's up to? Two twenty nine batting? But he's he's always been more of a play discipline on base guy. Right, he's I don't think he's been a big batting average monster two twenty nine. It's been okay, mid mid two hundreds, I think average career. Yeah, two fifty three, three forty nine on base, that'll play forty six slug for an eight thirty five ops, one thirty four ops plus that'll play.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That I've never seen. I've seen different eyeblacks. I've seen the cross, I've seen the lines. I think somebody Cobby's using it in LA or in the rays. He's in a double line. He did dots. He went dot dot dot dot dot. It was like he had Morse code on his EyeBlack.
Speaker 4: Okay, I like that.
Speaker 3: That's fun flash.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, why regular EyeBlack.
Speaker 3: That's tired, really tired. But there's that.
Speaker 2: Yeah under the lights. But hey, good for the Angels, I mean, nice pickup. I mean he might be trade bait if things don't work out for them, but clearly this is a guy who moves on from another from that org and then.
Speaker 4: He's been playing for a while now too.
Speaker 2: That should be a good selling point for the socks, Like, hey, did you see how we screwed up you on Mancata and what he's doing.
Speaker 4: Now, this could.
Speaker 2: Be yours, Luise, Robert could be yours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what he said.
Speaker 2: That's what he said.
Speaker 3: That's what he said.
Speaker 2: That's what he said. We were waiting for.
Speaker 4: That's what he said.
Speaker 2: On and the Oriols front office leader for not one, not two, but three days after he fires manager Brandon Hyde, who some thought would be the guy to lead the Orioles to a World Series title or at least be a big part of this franchise for a long time. Got players and tears in the clubhouse after that went down. I'm sure many of them feel responsible, but also that Hide should be the manager of this team, and he probably will be a successful manager with someone else. Let's get some bizz here. So the question was asked to Elias on why he waited three days to speak publicly about Hyde's dismissal. The quote, it's a pretty hectic few days. Got Tony as in Mansolino, the interms manager in place, and traveled up here with the team and just needed a couple of days. Jacob Calvin Meyer's been on the show covers the oriols on a daily basis, said Michael Lias's players were not given that same privilege of a few days. Half of the clubhouse spoke on Saturday, right, and Elias didn't speak until Tuesday. The first player that had to speak was a twenty one year old, as in Jackson Holliday. Others had to hold back tears. These are the same players who have MIC's in their face minutes after blowing a safe or striking out to end a game. Really well worded tweet in my mind to say you've done this after a game. You're there, right, You always showed up, You're accountable. Sure, we don't ask for the gms to talk all the time, but when they do something like this, they need to be available pretty quickly to explain it so that it doesn't fall on you. Matchine for three days, you've got to be in the clubhouse getting asked about why Hide's gone and how things are different and whatever. Not to mention they lost all three games. Yeah, I mean, would you be pissed if you're a player? Yeah, I a little disappointed.
Speaker 4: I mean just the disappointment would be that he needed to take a couple of days hearing that you know, if he didn't say anything. Listen, their business man. At the end of the day, they do whatever the heck they want. If I'm worried about what he's going to say, or what he's not going to say, or where the heck he is, then I'm not focused on the task at hand. So yeah, maybe you're like, oh, where the heck did he go? But for him to say I need a couple of days off that that would be like, you know, okay, wow, okay, what do you want to say?
Speaker 2: Ten minutes is all it takes, right, everybody, everybody can put ten minutes together, and this like should be one of your top responsibilities, like you make the movie everything.
Speaker 4: You should be speaking. It's the time.
Speaker 2: Well, because obviously for you, you're going to be like, hey, whatever, I mean, that's his thing. He's going to talk when he talks. My only thing is like you played in New York, they're going to be MIC's in your face every day and you're I know what you'd say, I mean, asked, asked the GM it's it was his movie, and then I'm going to say back, yeah, he's not available, Todd.
Speaker 4: That's very interesting, exactly, like.
Speaker 2: He won't he won't talk yet. You know he's hiding.
Speaker 4: Have you seen him? Yeah? No, I'm looking at one of the quotes he said, how confident he is in his own ability to lead here. Yeah, I'll read a verbatim. I've had a Michael I said, I have had a lot of success. I believe in my career, and I think that we did a really strong job in building up this franchise. This is deeply disappointed me, and I'm doing everything the power to correct and improve it. How long has he been there for? Do we know?
Speaker 2: Off top pen, I think it was twenty nineteen or twenty what is it? Six years?
Speaker 4: So he's only been there for six years. I mean, I've had a lot of success, right, that's the first words he said.
Speaker 2: He took over a tanking team, so you get all the draft picks, all the good stuff.
Speaker 4: Right. Have they won a championship, they won a playoff game, they won a playoff game.
Speaker 2: He had a lot of success with the Astros.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh okay, but he's having that success here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, so what are we doing? They shouldn't go ahead? Go ahead? Crazy?
Speaker 3: No? No, can I give like a different view of this? And I know we we rip on Michael laias for the moves that he's made, the way he spent the money that ownership does it. I feel like some of the things that have gone down in the last few days, whether they're out of character for him or not. Does it feel like he was pressured to get rid of Brandon Hyde. Do we feel like he didn't want to get rid of Brandon Hyde and yet he had to. Ownership was pushing it because I think sometimes public sentiment is different than actual, like good decisions. And I'm not saying he's made all the right decisions, but he's on He's kind of on the defense saying I've done a lot of really good things, saying, hey, you know what, why why am I going to come out and say anything in these first few days here when I haven't I'm not the one that made this decision. Maybe Ownership will step up and say something. I don't know, Maybe I'm totally off base. Maybe it's something that he sees himself going out the door and he's like, you know what, maybe I don't need to put my name on the fact that we shouldn't have fired the manager that every player.
Speaker 2: Likes and was a good soldier, right. I mean, Jackson Holliday actually has had pretty good numbers for the year at the plate so far, at least if you're going off weighted stats to go psplus. I mean, he's sat a lot. There's a lot of platoon action that goes on with the team. Where does that usually come from the breast the breass right, And you have to work with them and be like, Okay, I'm going to do that.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: He's a good soldier and well like by the players. I mean, I think everybody that has a pulse on the team knows that this had almost nothing to do with Brandon Hyde. Brandon Hyde was not going to fix the starting staff. He wasn't going to fix most things with what was going on on the field, Crats. But do we now live in a world where you cannot do nothing when your season's done and you're in the thick of your winning window. You did the tanking for a long time. You had two pretty good seasons in the last two years. Neither of them came up with a playoff appearance, though, and now you're one of the worst teams in baseball and you're going to be selling at the deadline, right, They're not going to be the ultimate comeback story. So with all that being said, you have to do something, and what else can you do? I'm saying public pressure and ownership pressure nowadays is they weren't going to ride this whole season out doing nothing. I agree with what you say. I think he probably didn't want to let him go. If it was me, I wouldn't want to let him go either. But if I'm the GM, I would potentially look at firing myself because I'm the one that messed up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like people aren't going to do that, but in my opinion, ownership's not gonna Yeah, I mean ownership that would that would I think ownership would say, look, we gave you seventy three seventy five million dollars at it on Kyle Gibson, so seventy five million dollars to spend this offseason. You didn't spend it very well. You have to go and fire the manager because whether you think he is the one, I'd like to fire you, but we can't because that would set a precedent that I don't know the teams have ever seen, let alone an ownership group that is I mean, they have brand new carbon in their offices like they just moved in. They're you know, they're super new on the scene here, and they expected a lot more with what they invested into this team this year.
Speaker 4: Can I finish it with this? They had all these prospects, man, they had prospects, prospects, and we talked about it for the last couple of years. He didn't do anything with him. He didn't do anything. He didn't trade up to get some big name. You got Corbyn Burns for a little bit, right, but you had guys to give out. They had no space to play on your squad. Why didn't you make a big trade for a big name or something. I said it over and over, get rid of some of these guys, mans. And that's the big disappointment I have in the squad, because they could have got two or three guys that could be sitting pretty for the Oriols right now and they wouldn't be in this scenario.
Speaker 2: And if you wait too long, those prospects lose value, right, become suspects. Yeah, And what happened was Connor Norby and Kyle Sowers got traded for at least what appears at the moment to be really a broken arm in Trevor Rodgers. So you gave away two guys that actually should have gotten more of an opportunity and didn't, and their trade value went down based on their age and them being perceived as quade players even though now they're not. They just needed a lane checking to see any feedback here from fans, Brandon said, Oriels miss Santander. He was their veteran presence. Agreed, but I still think they'd be in a bad spot. Could the offense be in a better place, Yes, obviously, I'm not going off this year's version of Santander. Although nobody can hit homers in Toronto, I think Dalton bar Show. Actually, you know what, this is perfect time for this because I was like, hey, I'm not going to make this a topic, but I would love to bring this up to my friends. From Matt Snyder, who writes for CBS, this was like a day or two ago, he said, Dalton bar Show leads the Toronto Blue Jays with six home runs. I don't know if anything changed in the last couple of days, but right now he is the leader in homers. He is on pace for twenty one home runs in twenty twenty one. The Toronto Blue Jays had seven players with at least twenty homers this year, they're on pace for just one of those players. The only full season where a Blue Jays franchise had no one reached twenty homers was their first season nineteen seventy seven. The leader was ron Fairly with nineteen.
Speaker 3: So Dalton Barshot. The start of the season a month late too, Andre Semendez was leading the team with three and he had three in the first two four days.
Speaker 4: What is going on?
Speaker 2: Can we do some ballpark blaming though? No, we're just saying everything fell Apart from a power perspective, it's a great ballpark.
Speaker 3: To hit in, man, I mean are they? I mean is a Do they have fans that are blowing the ball back in?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Come on? No, Like, there's there's some ballparks that are tough. But you know, Kaufman, Kaufman, You've had You've had forty home run home run guys, home run seasons for out of guys at Kaufman. Like, that's a tough stadium, Toronto, ain' Kaufman. Unless a lot has changed since Todd quit.
Speaker 4: It hasn't.
Speaker 2: So is that a process thing? Like how to guys with pop just all lose it. And then you're bringing in someone from the outside. You're like, where's flat, he's pop, where's both pop? Then here comes sant Andre and it's forty four homers last year pop.
Speaker 4: Is it a mentality? Is it a swinging path? I don't know what they're doing and how they're hitting. Coaches are getting them ready for I don't know. It's very confusing, man. These guys can hit the ball and we just haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.