Speaker 1: A switch high.
Speaker 2: Understand that just senter field and it's gone.
Speaker 1: Wow, his first big league swing, he's gonna be a gland slam, a home line swing.
Speaker 2: Good time to look to them, soup. Welcome back to the Call Up, your go to podcast on the future stars of Major League Baseball, arm lighton Jack migmullen, and we are walking through the futures Game rosters. This is always a ton of fun because, yeah, we'll talk about some players that we've talked about a ton, but there's always some surprise players added in. We also get to talk about what we should be looking for, and I always like to add a little bit of color to Hey, when you're watching this game, look out for this guy's breaking ball. Look Out for maybe this guy's power if he runs into one order, this guy's speed. So we're gonna do that, give you a little bit of a primer. And I think there's gonna be a bit different of a futures game this year. I think there's gonna be a little bit more presentation to it, and I think it's gonna be better for the viewer. So even more reason to give you that primer. And I'm excited to dive into it.
Speaker 1: It's like a viewing menu. You know, how many articles have you read over the last couple of weeks? Just like kind of a viewing menu. Hey, here's what to watch in the World Cup today, like on the group stage, right, you know you tune into Turkey? Who am I supposed to watch on Turkey during group stage? So it's like, it's kind of nice to have that leading into the futures game. And a couple of years ago, I mean, we talked about Misowski being that guy where it's like always gonna light up the radar gun, and then all of a sudden, Miserowski's clipped off by pitching Ninja, and then two years later he's the best pitcher on the planet. So it is kind of nice to lay the foundation for a conversation that we could have on the Just Baseball Show two years from now.
Speaker 2: It's funny I forgot about that. I think we gave a one hundred percent guarantee that Miserowski would be pitching Ninja clipped after that after that future game. Yeah, And funny, I was just on the Marine Layer pod and Lyle and TJ were bringing up like we had never seen that guy throw before. We're sitting watching the game with you, and you go lock in on this guy right now, and they said, like I forgot about that, Like I've never forgotten that since. And of course now he's who he is. That's the fun part about this futures game. And I think now especially, it's even harder for some of these guys to fly under the radar. But that said, like, people are gonna get to this and this is just an n OL name that just pops in my head, but people are gonna be at this game and may not be totally privy to Josiah Hartshorn. Holy crap, that guy can hit. But yeah, he's it's still new, you know. So that's the stuff that makes me excited.
Speaker 1: So I like that you shout it out, Misslerowski a few years ago in Seattle. The one that jumps out to me two years ago in Arlington is when you said, I think I've got Drake Baldwin to hit a homer, And Baldwin hit a homer, and I think Baldwin was the MVP. And Drake Baldwin looks like the first or second best catcher in Major League Baseball. I know it's been tough after the injury. But it's so much fun to kind of like lay the foundation. You had Brendan Davis that was your pick to click and he was a Futures Game MVP a couple of years ago. So I guess I'm just gonna ask you, like who your Futures Game MVP pick is at the end of the NL episode, but we'll start with the American League. Let's do it all right, So we're gonna go pitchers that, We're gonna go infielders, then we're gonna go outfielders here, and I'm gonna give you the whole rundown of the pitching group, and I just want you to kind of go rapid fire through who you are identifying on the American League pitcher side. So the roster for the American League on the pitching side, Kate Anderson of the Seattle Mariners, top ten prospect in baseball by Just Baseball, Jamie Arnold of the Athletics, Tyler Bremner, last year's number two overall pick out of Santa Barbara by the Angels, Kendrey Chorio, the teenage sensation for the Kansas City Royals, Joseph Jerwa of the Baltimore Orioles, Anthony Ironsen of the Boston Red Sox, Carlos Legrondey is six seven, two fifty New York Yankee prospect in Triple A right now, Nolan Perry of the Blue Jays, Cayden Scarborough, who I know you've liked for a while in hya with the Texas Rangers. And then another top ten prospect in baseball, Ryan Sloan so Anderson and Sloan from Seattle, Arnold from the Athletics, Bremner from the Angels, Chorio from the Royals, Jurao from the Orioles, or Chorio from the Royals, Pardon Tuwa from the Orioles, Ironsen from the Red Sox, legron Hey from the Yankees, Nolan Perry from the Blue Jays, and Scarborough from the Rangers.
Speaker 2: Well, the first, the first name that just just jumps into my mind, and there's arms across the board that everything are really exciting. This is a pretty loaded list of arms is Cayden Scarborough. Just because he got such a late start to the year, we had to have melanoma removed, and I think it was a little bit more encompassing than expected, and it took him a while to get back and build up and just get back on the mound. And so just to see Scarborough in a position where he can, you know, be in this game comfortably, I think is really exciting. And he's starting to hit his stride again now at HYA. This is one of the better fastballs in the minor leagues, really unique characteristics, and I think him in a short spurt that fastball is going to be overwhelming. But since he's come back twenty three and two thirds innings, he's only about thirteen hits at high A. It's been really fun to watch Scarborough since he kind of broke out last year. And I'm just excited that he's healthy and back on the mound and I'm looking forward to, you know, just kind of seeing what that stuff looks like in short spurts. Funny, funny enough, like that's kind of the theme with a couple of these guys. But then the others, it's like, Kate Anderson is so good, you're not gonna be able to appreciate Kate Anderson one inning. He might not even throw all of his pitches. What I think we will see though, is how he can how much more advance he's gonna be than most of the hitters he's facing, and now he could probably pick them apart. But like, this is a guy that goes to any of four pitches in any count and can just mix and match his way through lineup. So that's the one side I was like, you'll get to see this guy throw, but I don't think you'll get a full appreciation for what he can do. Nolan Perry in short spurt, it's the Blue Jays prospect his breaking balls. I think in terms of breaking balls across the board here, I don't know if you're going to see a much nastier one. If you do, it's Ryan Sloan's sweeper. But the fun thing with Sloan, and this is the big thing I want to circle here. So he averages ninety six and a half with the fastball, and he has one of the best sweepers breaking balls in minor league baseball. There are some rumblings that both Kate Anderson and Ryan Swoane could be added to the to the Mariner's bullpen if they're in it comes September down the stretch, right, yeah, we're gonna get a taste of what that's good, what that could look like, you know what Ryan Sloan in a one inning spurt can look like, which could be ninety nine with you know his seventy great It already is a seventy great sweeper, but it has a little bit more teeth to it velo wise, like it could be elite. And then you have the splitter as well, So I'm excited to just get like a little taste of what that could look like. And then I think Bremner's change up, You're just gonna like, that's gonna be the best change up you probably see on the day. Ianson's been so much fun to watch. Unfortunately Lagron hey Hurt, I don't think he's gonna be able to throw in this game. That would have been the v low watch guy obviously. Yeah, and then the youth watch like Kendrick Chorio is a teenager essentially, like so young, and you could see like the baby face out there, and just him competing against maybe a twenty two year old, twenty three year old maybe even is always fun to see. I mean, this guy's eighteen still, excuse me, Kendrick Chorio, so probably the youngest player in the game. I always think that's really fun, especially when they're getting on the mound, and then Jamie Arnold like, you're just gonna see a really funky release. Maybe some people haven't seen that before, and I think, I think that's gonna be fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Kendre Chorio born October first, two thousand and seven for those of you monitoring at home. So that was the start of the postseason where the Red Sox beat the Colorado Rockies in the World Series, which I remember vividly. Pedroia I think was first pitch homer in Game one at the bottom of the first over the Monsters. So like I'm I'm recounting a home run from the year that that guy was born. It's hard to fathom that we're at that point, but you know what we are. Let's go to the American League catchers here and the four AL catchers that are on the roster. Cooper Ingle is not going to be participating because he's a Major leaguer, So congratitude three is Kle but Cooper Ingle the Cleveland Guardians not going to the Futures Game for good reason. The three other American League catchers, Nathan Fluelling, the Canadian from the Tampa Bay Rays, organization who's in Hi a bowling green right now, Tyron Lorenzo of the Detroit Tigers, who's still double A at the moment, and then Blake Mitchell, who is the lefty hitting catcher from the Kansas City Royals organization. Those are the three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm excited for Fluelling in general, just because you know, he's been one of my favorite prospects for a while now picked it's a breakout guy, and feel like he's breaking out in a big way this year. But the combination of the power that Flolling brings to the table, but also the arm strength and we're going to see a lot of stolen attempts and all these different things. So I think that makes it really fun that that's probably one of the guys I'm most excited to see, you know, in person here. But at the same time, I think Blake Mitchell's BP I'm also very much looking forward to and Blake Blake Mitchell's somewhat of like a turbulent and turbulent might be a little unfair, but turbulent professional career so far where he's been a guy that has been a top one hundred prospects. He's been a guy that you know, I've been really excited about through points and then there's been injuries, and then there's been some struggles and you look back again this year though, and he's been really solid. There's a lot of strikeouts, and I think that's gonna come with the territory, but if the defense continues to come along. I mean, this is a very talented player with a rocket for an on, huge power, and we're we're seeing that. I'm excited for his batting practice. And then speaking of turbulent Dyron, Loronzo is another player that's had a turbulent career with a trade included in there. And for Loronzo, you know, I think just for him to be in this game is encouraging and exciting. I don't think he's had the greatest year, and maybe there's some other candidates, but he still has all the talent and has been banged up this year since he's come back nine homers in forty five games at double A and ultimately switch hitter. With the power that he has and batting practice, that would be fun to watch another rocket for an arm as well. It's a talented group overall, but I'd say I'm most excited to see full Weelling and at the same time Mitchell the raw power there. The BP could be a fun show.
Speaker 1: Mitchell is interesting for Kansas City, and Kansas City is not really in a position to go all the way in and buy. But they're running into some serious pitcher issues and Jensen is the truth. Carter Jensen is coming off of an insane heater a few weeks ago there, resulting in a hitting streak north of ten games. I think it got up to about fifteen or sixteen ballgames. So yeah, you just wonder what Mitchell's role within the Royals organization looks like moving forward, pushing to the American League infield here real quick, You've got franklin Arius of the Boston Red Socks, Leo Devrees of the Athletics, Caleb Bonemer of the White Sox, Jojo Parker of the Blue Jays, and ralphie Velaskiez of the Cleveland Guardians. They make up the American League infield. Xavier Ninons does not have a number listed next to him.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to figure this out. Yeah, I don't know. I think he is. I haven't seen anything of him like scratched or anything. We can we can proceed as under the assumption that he is. I mean, he just homeered yesterday is fourteenth of the year, so I don't know why he would get Yeah, I don't. I don't know why he would get scratched. So for whatever reason, though on the roster he has the Cooper Angle treatment. He's also italicized. I don't. I don't know what that means.
Speaker 1: So is Walker Jenkins. I have no idea what that means either. Is there no could they be participating in that weird like challenge thing?
Speaker 2: Players in Italics replaced the following players who were moved from due to injury, and those players were Kayln Culpepper and George Lombardy. They're gonna need to replace well on Hey too, So that's the answer. So okay, Well, who's the other Italics.
Speaker 1: Player, Walker Jenkins?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, Walker, We'll get to him. But god, he's able to play in this game. No on the infield side, man, Like, there's so much talent over here. I just got my first live look at Jojoe Parker or not for first of the regular season. Obviously got to see him a good bit in spring training, and this guy can just hit like it's just so much fun to watch him hitt. And this is one where it's like, okay, super pure hitter, but lower level guy like Jojo Parker. And now I want to see him in like a left on left matchup versus Kate Anderson, who's a big league arm already.
Speaker 1: Right, it's the least sexy thing ever. But I remember you saying this about Cole Young in Seattle a couple of years ago. It's like, you know what, He's gonna put a really good swing on a left on left single the other way and it's gonna be awesome. And I think Young like lined out to left or something, and you were like, you know what, that works, that's you. That's your Cole Young. This year is Jojo p.
Speaker 2: Just because like you get this opportun tunity man like to see them against arms that are ahead of them, and and yeah, you get make it a backfield, big league versus prospect arm match up here and there. But I think this is a little different. So I'm excited about that. And like, maybe he'll get a Joseph Sherwell matchup, which like six or eight lefty like good luck, So I'm excited about that. Then you will get Arius and Devrees, two of the best shorts out prospects in baseball. And with Arius just the defensive ability. Like what I love about this game is we get an Io as well, and it feels like, you know, just you're you're back in high school. You get to watch these these guys, see which outfielders have the strongest arms, whatever it may be. But you also get to see these guys go through it in the infield and do all the little things. And and with Arius, like his hands are so good, he just he's developed so well with his footwork. I'm excited to just watch him defensively. But then this is a guy that now has way more power, Like I want to see the VP because it used to just kind of be shooting balls in the gap. No, this guy's got juice now. So I love I love the opportunity to see that. I've seen dis play a ton, but you know, for him, it's just you can see a switch hitting, you know, just such a young, high upside talent like him. Anytime you get to see Leo Devers play, who just kind of has a flair for the big moment in the dramatic, he's always going to be a fun player in these types of settings. And then Caleb Bonnemer, he I'm excited to just see one hit. I want to see his batting practice because this guy does not hit anything the other way ever, ever, And I want to see like what he's working on in MVP. That said, he has made a good transition into double A. I thought he'd get picked apart a little bit more, to be honest, and he hasn't. And I just want to see what the progressions look like, like are we shooting some the other way? How like what are we what are we feeling there? But otherwise, like I want to see him crush some balls of the poll side.
Speaker 1: You may have one opportunity in your life to take batting practice in the futures game. I'm not sure he's to be working on poking balls the other way in batting practice. I think he might be trying to show some tape measure shots during VP, so.
Speaker 2: You know, think's going to try to remind people that hey, I can go the other way a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know what, let's just shoot some balls that way. Yeah, do the Jacob Wilson batting practice thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm looking at this ray try all right, we've got a couple balls sprinkled the other way. Now we've got one OPO homer on the year, and we have one, two, three, four five APO hits, So that's we're talking about a sixty percent airpole rate for Caleb Bonner. I mean, I've never seen anything like it. So then show it off, babe, Like, let's see you pull some absolute rockets down down the left field line. But then you know, beyond that, you know, Ralphie Velasquez has been one of my favorite hitters you know, to watch in the in the upper miners, and he's been really starting to settle in a triple A. Just Homard yesterday, that's a BP session I am very pumped about and and just also the way he goes out his abs. And we're gonna we're gonna get interviews with a lot of different players here, So very excited to talk to a lot of these different guys, but Ralphie is probably one that I'm hoping, you know, the most to talk to, just because of his success since the second half of last year. How stark the difference has been in terms of the production since then, and I kind of want to just hear you know, maybe what has clicked for him since then, and you know how he's been able to parlay that into reaching you know, double A, rxus me triple a as a newly turned twenty one year old in the success that he's already having there, I think he might have reached there even before his twenty first birthday, and all of a sudden, now he's got a seven ninety two oh ps at the level after a pretty soft start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then devreason Ari is just making up part of that infield for the American League is going to be a dream come true.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, this is the last chance you're going to price see either of these guys in a setting like this before they're up in the show. I think there's a case for both of them. The funny thing is the Red Sox. Dude, we're talking about on the Just Baseball Show, the Red Sox. Their pitching is so good all of a sudden, and it was always pretty good. But like the way that all these guys are throwing, they're not out of this thing. And I know that big part of that is the American League, but they're not out of this thing. And so for two reasons, two completely different reasons. I think we'll see both of these guys up this year. On the Red Sox side, they've been wanting a right handed bat since we had Buster, one who comes on the show every month two times ago, was telling us that, you know, the Red Sox are aggressively canvassing for a right handed bats so hap Yeah, and that was our immediate reaction. Right, the Red Sucks are three games out of a playoff spot. Yeah, I got a right handed bat for you, Franklin Arius. Right, and that's a guy that could play second. You can play short at a high level, and they could use a short stop. Did I see Sung Chae Chang start a game?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, point made. They're three out and look, Arius doesn't need to be to reach a ceiling immediately. But do you not feel like Franklin Arius is the type of player that can just get up there and survive and value.
Speaker 1: You would think so, And you would also think that that presents that internal jolt where you know, we hear the coach speak from executives around the deadline. Well, our deadline acquisition is this player coming back from injury? You know, the pirates I guarantee you Ben Charrington and it may be a little bit different, but he could say our offensive, you know, surge at the deadline is counter Griffin coming off the shelf or O'Neal Cruz coming off the shelf. It's like, okay, yeah, I hear that, but you know they also need some bullpen help. It's different when you got a top prospect, and there are very few times where you have a top prospect come up for that push. I think a recent good example is Evan Carter in Texas in twenty twenty three when the Rangers won the World Series. Like that is a unique sensation when you have a top prospect in the game come up to help you for the home stretch and that postseason push. I think about Jackson Job coming out of the Tiger bullpen during pitching chaos. It's like, oh man, we got Job. Now we're cooking with gas. That's something that can ignite a club house in a way that it seems like, you know, an external addition via trade can't really do. Obviously, if you go get a big fish on the trade market, yes it can totally do that. But if you're gonna try and trade within the Margins like, you're not going to grab a short platoon. Bet that's going to ignite the fan base of the clubhouse quite like Franklin Arias.
Speaker 2: I agree. I agree, And I think the fact that you could, I mean, you roll him out there full time. You're you're like son Jay Chang is playing for you, and even like when you get and I don't know what the deal is with Story or you know, ikf or Marcelo Mey or all of them are hurt. None of them have been good at all. So I just think there's a real scenario where you can consider that, and he gives you defensive value as well. He's gonna if that's a guy at the bottom of your lineup just grinding out AB's he's I've watched him put it over the monster routinely in Greenville, like in with the developed power that's exciting the flip side. And I don't know if the athletics would want to do this, but it might make sense to just kind of get them a taste of it, but preserve the rookie eligibility and everything is they might be out of it, who knows, and and if they're out of it in you know, September, why not get Leo Devrees up there and have them get a taste of the big leagues and get acclimated a little bit. I feel like I could see that happening as well, which you could also say though if there, if they're in it and Derees is swinging it, you could also make the case that way too. I just I wonder if towards the end of the season it's been a really injury plague year for Jacob Wilson, like just give them a couple of days off here and there. Who knows, But the way Josh Croda Grower has been swinging it out of the gate, I don't know. I still think there's a world where we could see Debrees. I would say maybe higher chance arius at the end of the year, because I think the Red Sox might just be desperate for that right handed bat.
Speaker 1: You would think so, And you just kind of wonder the severity of injury, and I guess the the pertinence of injury for guys like not only Wilson, but Soderstrom as well. Geloff has played a little bit of left so maybe that opens up a place on the infield for Corona Grower to go to second or something like that at and then you've got you know, space for degrees over at third base or short stuff.
Speaker 2: So we shall one each other shout sorry, Xavier Nians. I want to see him swing because he doesn't swing very often, so I hope in this in the future, and I like I like it. He's passive and you know what, get your feet wet. In professional baseball, you got huge power, could be a little passive and when you let when you let it rip, hit homers. We've seen that. If Nions gets into one and this is another BP watch like, well, he's already hitting ball as one thirteen fourteen, he's nineteen years old. Super exciting to just see what what that power can look like. But this is the guy that's swinging thirty percent of the time. So you're not gonna go to the futures game to swing thirty percent of the time. I at like one of three pitches or less than that. I want to see this guy get the bat off the shoulder and let it rip. I don't care if you strike out. He's swinging at non fastballs twenty three percent of the time, so I appreciate the selectivity, but you're gonna need to swing it a little bit more because he's also hitting seventy eight against breaking balls. So never swing at him, but you're gonna have to eventually. I love I love the swing, and like they're swinging mess but I love the swing, and I think he has huge power and huge potential. And it'll be fun to see him because the first time we saw him it was like he didn't even made his pro debut yet. Really, he was just just at the spring breakout game and you could just kind of see it was just still kind of fun in his footing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, excited to see some sick takes from him as well. Yeah, let's tie a bow in the American League with the al outfield here and the outfield we mentioned Walker Jenkins in italics he is playing. Kevin Alvarez of the Houston Astros is gonna be there as well. Theo Gillen of the Tampa bay Rays, top twenty prospect in baseball, Ike Irish, who has had a pretty solid start to his pro career of the Baltimore Orioles against Jenkins the Minnesota Twins, and then Nelson Rata of the La Angels. So it's interesting obviously, your eyes gravitate towards Jenkins and Gillan, but I know you like Alvarez and Ike Irish has been a fascinating conversation this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think. I think with with Walker Jenkins being healthy and the added power that that he we've seen from him this year, I'm very excited about that. And I just feel like we've we've missed out and generally speaking on Walker Jenkins and like spring breakouts and these types of events, because he's typically pretty banged up. So it's nice to see him back and in this and this is obviously his last chance to do something like this because he should be up at the big leagues. Honestly, not too long after this game. I wouldn't even mind if he went straight from this game to to Minnesota. I don't. I don't need to see too much more in triple A. But generally speaking, I think just seeing how much more power he's out except watch him take VP and and all these different things. But he's just impacting the baseball so much more now. THEO Gillen's the one though. I mean, this guy, there may not be better tools in the game, you know, and in this game than what you're gonna get from THEO Gillen because you're gonna get plus raw power, maybe better than plus raw power. You're gonna get maybe plus plus speed. He's developed so much in center field. I just think this is a very very fun player to be able to watch. And if he gets the opportunity to put all of his skills and display in one game, which is not always going to happen, it's it's always nice to see and I want to see the wheels, I want to see the power. I want to see a little bit of everything, and I think we'll get the opportunity to see most of that. And then Kevin Alvarez is just another one of those players that you look at the astro system. There couldn't have been a more obvious two players to send because it's like them and then everybody else. But Alvarez is one that, like, you know, you could check in month to month, and because he's so young and wiry and I think just growing into this very slender frame, he like he's gonna look more physical each time you check in, He's gonna look a little bit less baby draft each time you check in. He just turned eighteen years old and You're already starting to see him control his body better in the box. You're seeing this more just more comfort. You're seeing him stronger, You're seeing him hitting the ball harder, And like, I'm excited because we saw him at spring breakout, I of sa him in spring training. To see him now in person, I guarantee he's gonna look different. And that's a fun part about these super young and projectable players. So I'm very much looking forward to that. And then Nelson Rada is the type of player that's best enjoyed over a larger sample. But he's gonna be pesky, and I'm looking at him as like one of those players against like some of the top flight arms, where his ability to just spoil and grind out and that bad and be difficult, and also you look get maybe the potential to go make a heck of a grab in the outfield because he's so good defensively, and the ability on the bass pats because he's twenty seven for thirty two this year in stolen bases, Like this is a guy that could go make that highlight reel play be pesky and wasn't Nazam Nunez a futures game All Star or he was an MVP.
Speaker 1: Yes he was. He got the award from Ken Griffy Junior.
Speaker 2: Yep, we'll never forget it. I think Rada is a kind of guy that could make that highlight reel play and people see see the Angels have prospects and another guy that's probably not too far away from a big league debut.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I mean we could be watching Nelson Rada and Tyler Bremner and it's like any the Angels are cooking here. Huh, John mosday Lock, Nice nice job by him.
Speaker 2: I want to put it back on you before we wrap up. Yeah, which players are you most excited to see.
Speaker 1: On the American League side? Kate Anderson, Like, actually getting a high quality video look at Kate Anderson is going to be really fun. The Arkansas Travelers tip of the cap to them, but unfortunately it's not an Emmy winning show. I'm so excited to see Kate Anderson and Ryan Sloan on high quality cameras and all of these guys in front of track Man data and kind of a stat cast oriented broadcast. I'm very excited to see that. Like that's the biggest thing for me with the futures game is like, Okay, I just get an opportunity to attach numbers to every single thing that we watch and we can do it. But like Twitter's the resource to go do that, you know what I mean? Like, I'm looking at your Twitter to see what this guy is doing in terms of pitch and a vacuum. What are the metrics on that pitch? What are the metrics on this batt ball. I'm just excited to actually attach numbers to it and have all these guys playing in front of track Man and Hawkeye, Kate Anderson Sloan, they jump out Arnold Man, Like I really do think the A's at full health with that lineup are so unbelievably dangerous. Jump had a blow up start against the Marlins this past weekend in Sacramento. But Gage Jump looks like the truth at the major league level again, looks like a serviceable back end starter. They just have a whole bunch of force. Jump looks like a mid rotation starter. If Arnold can be a mid rotation starter and you can convince someone to sign in Vegas after next year, the groundwork is there for the A's to be really, really good as soon as they get to Las Vegas, so I'm excited to see Arnold throw for an inning there as well. Iron Sin, I keep on hearing about Iansen. I haven't really had the chance to sit down and watch a full start, so excited to watch an inning and a short spurt for Ionsen. And then I mean, yeah, I'm excited and like the Red Sox, listen, tip of the cap to them. They can pitch, Holy hell, can they pitch. Stunny Gray is one of my favorite guys to watch in Major League Baseball right now. I think that guy was an All Star snub big time and like, totally is a beast. I love Connolly early. If they can add eye intet of the fold, that is really darn fun. And then Kevin Alvarez actually saw I got to take a couple of bit pats in Big League spring. I was like, it's hard to believe this guy's seventeen years old. Yeah, I'm excited to see that teenager swinging a little bit.
Speaker 2: Last note, Jamie Arnold really starting to hit his stride at double A and a guy that I've been a little bit you know, harder on, I think maybe than others, you know, when it comes to the prospect list or whatever it may be. But really been on a nice stretch after he was giving up a lot of hard contacts for a while. And he's still not striking out the world. It's less than than a strikeout parenting, But in his last six starts at double A two, six, seventy RA, thirty three and two thirds innings, he's only walked fourteen and struck out thirty three. So you want to see a little bit more in the strikeout department. But at the same time, he's not getting hit as hard and if he's getting weak contact, which I think could be a huge part of his game because he's so deceptive. We have a guy here that can really start to settle in and be that middle rotation arm for the Athletics if he can continue to head on this track. So we're going to get to the national league side of things here in a moment, but before that, a quick break. All right, Jack, I haven't decided yet, and I'll give you my honest answer which roster I like more. But we'll go through the national league here and then make a final decision. We could probably do an average prospect ranking side of it, but we're due for an update in a few weeks. Anyways. By the way, some back end stuff that we're working on on the top one hundred is going to look even prettier next time around, so I'm very excited about that. But that update'll probably come out right after the draft. Regardless, I'm excited to compare rosters here.
Speaker 1: Yes, I am also excited to get your answer on the better roster. I'm also excited to get your answer at the very end of your predicted futures game MVP, because again probably going to be wrong, because sometimes Nasim Nuniez wins the futures Game MVP. We will start with the NL pitchers here right now, and the NL pitchers. Cam Kiminiddi of the Atlanta Braves, top one out of prospect in baseball. He's in High A Rome Liam Doyle of the Saint Louis Cardinals, the hard throwing lefty out of Tennessee. He's in Double A with the Cardinals. Seth Hernandez leading the world in punch outs right now. In the minor leagues, he's in HYA Greensboro with the Pirates. Cash Mayfield of the Padres is in hy A fort Wayne Carson Milbrandt was the best pitcher in Double A before his promotion to Triple A Jacksonville a few weeks ago. Mill Brandt in Triple A with the Miami Marlins. Right now, Mason McGuire of the Chicago Cubs, he's in High A South Bend. When we pond of the Philadelphia Phillies, he's in Double A reading Miguel Cimy junior front of the program with Washington in Hya Wilmington as it stands right now. And then Gauge would guy that I'm really excited to see in double A for the Philadelphia Phillies in reading at the moment. So that's your list of NL pictures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, American League's off to a great start here. And then they got yeah, that is true. It's like that we've got seth. Now there's Carson milbrand obviously, really excited to see him in a short spurt, especially Oh my gosh, if you haven't heard that episode with him, go check that out. He was awesome on the call up a few weeks ago. I'm excited to see Kim and Iddi and just he's so athletic and I know he hasn't had the best year, like this could have been like his breakout per se, but he's a prep left he who's still a teenager, and overall it's been fine, but you know, he's also being pushed pretty hard like teenage left. He to hy A, I'm just excited to see the stuff in person, and I just love watching him throw seth is is is the show, and I can promise you they're gonna build a plenty of of you know, talking points around set when he's on the mound. They're going to be ready for him. I mean, yo, see may Junior is going to be a show. I mean, another friend of the program here, very much enjoying my conversation with him. He forgot he was eighteen years old at the time. He might in that game with some adrenaline, he's gonna probably touch one O two. The interesting part too, is like I haven't seen Cash Mayfield thrown person looking forward to that. But that's a guy also, It's like deception and things like that kind of built into it. I hope Liam Doyle has a good outing because it's just been a rough year for him in general. We kind of alluded to that possibility going into this season. I think Liam Doyle will be like his best outcome is as a realistic outcome is as a reliever. So I kind of just want to see him out of the pen, letting it to eat from the left side, and hopefully has some comfort in doing that. I have a win. We pond blue auto that I pulled that I've been really hoping to sell to put money towards buying other autos, and it's so cheap because nobody wants his card. Unfortunately right now that I can't even sell it. So hopefully we pawn masterclass, you know, is on our hands, and I can.
Speaker 1: Now you yourself. It's tough where it's like, okay, he goes three up and three down and he has like a de Gram All Star Game MVP type performance and it's like, all right, he I.
Speaker 2: Got a hold. Time to go. No. I don't know if that's going to move the market, but we'll see. Mason McGuire has been a fun story. He's just kind of like kind of a almost seemed like an ORG guy at one point, And maybe that's a little bit harsh because he's still so young h or was kind of young ish entering the year. But I mean, this is a guy that was twenty one years old on opening day, or excuse me, twenty two years old on opening day this year, and it had not pitched above low A, so I actually don't think he that young. And he'd walked more guys than he had struck out in twenty four. Then he was hurt in twenty like missed the whole twenty five season, So I get there's some variables to it, but you're not not a guy that I would be expecting to ever be sent to the futures game. He returned to Lowa to start this year, dominated there and now Hi, he's been okay, pretty good, but I don't know. I think I was kind of expecting some more exciting arms. I'm very pumped for Gauge would because that fastball is seventy great as is you put it in short spurts. That could be an elite, elite fastball with the characteristics he has there, the development of the slider, and we've talked about this is a guy that I think could be in the Phillies bullpen this year if they're trying to make a push down the stretch or be it like kind of a swingman Swiss Army nine for them, and I just want to see what he's kind of been in short spurts all year anyways, but maybe in one inning letting it eat. I think it'll be fun to see.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be fun. And I wonder where the fit is this year if they do go with an Anderson and Sloan thing, because we talked about that during the al side. Like I'm watching Seattle right now, and you know they've got a path if their starter goes six innings to win postseason series. Obviously, but over the course of one sixty two they got to get there, and it's such a fragile situation. We're like Seattle, they're running out spire for rare Bizardo modiums. After that, like Michael Rutger, getting big outs for you like Philly is interesting because you obviously have Deron Kirkering. Who else am I missing in there? Alvarado Keller, But after that, it's like Tanner Banks is getting huge outs for you. I don't know. So if you can add one more into the fold, that would be humongous, not just for October but for the home stretch in August and September.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. And I think there's a world like and I don't want to be like the overestimating prospect guy, but like, there's a world where gauge Wood is his fastball is so good at ninety eight miles per hour, with the characteristics that like he could be a leverage arm for you down the stretch, Like you could trust him as much as you trust. But we saw it with Kirkering. And I know he's had some unfortunate moments too, but we saw Kirkering immediately just you remember that rookie year, just kind of take take it by storm because it's just an nasty Why can't gauge war would do that before transitioning back into a starter. On the other thing is like kirk Wing has been great this year. Command is a little bit of an issue when you look at at Brad Keller, even sometimes with him, I'm not worried about gage Wood's command and a short spurt at all, and I think that also helps. I think he could be one of the best relievers. Obviously long term starter, but yeah, for this year.
Speaker 1: Just Baseball Show conversation not named Mason Miller is deron the best reliever in Major League Baseball. He's disgusting. He is, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: I think so. When you look at the stuff and then you look at fourteen case the no walks too, he's walking less than two or nine.
Speaker 1: He's he's he's pretty generational. Man, it's kind of crazy. All right. That ends that little branch off conversation. But let's go to the National League infield. Here, the NL in the field.
Speaker 2: What you got the catchers? Oh, we're going catchers and.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, let's go catchers. Let's if you.
Speaker 2: Skipped this, this might be the best position group in the whole damn game.
Speaker 1: Uh. The NL catching situation. Alfredo Duno of the Cincinnati Reds. He's with Hya Dayton right now. Although didn't you just get the bump to double A Chattanooga.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he starting homer twice, Okay.
Speaker 1: Raino Rodriguez in double A springfield for the Cardinals. And then Ethan Salas who's in Double A San Antonio with the San Diego Padres. Duno, Rodriguez, Salas, these are three top twenty prospects on the top one hundred.
Speaker 2: Top fifteen, and it's catching prospects one, two, three for us. Let's go. So this is this is electric like this is what you want to see Duno, as people know, like we're the high guys on we have him number eleven overall, Salas is number nine overall, and then Rainio Rodriguez number fifteen overall. Duno. I cannot wait to see this dude launching balls and VP. The other aspect is just I loved watching the way he's developed as a hitter, rockets rocket rocket for an arm behind the dish, and I'm interested to see how they kind of splice up the innings here. But with Duno, the fact that the way he's settling into double A already is awesome and just tool shed. And then what everyone's gonna see. I already know it. If he rolls over, broadcasters are going to see, say, did you see the way do it? Always getting down the line? I think boy can move. And that's my favorite thing about Alfredo Duno. It's like it's like a fun fact you wouldn't expect. It's just how fast this dude is. Ethan Sallas just I kind of hope he catches like four plus innings, kind of gets the line share of him. Just watch this dude behind the dish. He's just so good that part is fun like and you got to be like a real like catching defense and enjoyer. And I don't even know if I fully am. I'm just I have to watch these guys do all the little things behind the dish Ethan Salas will make you a catching defense joyer. Though. When you watch a newly turned twenty year old just have such soft hands and move the way that he does and such a smooth and quick transfer. This is a guy that I just think you watch and say, ah, that's why he's a top one hundred prospect despite all of the offensive struggles you know before this year, Like people that always push back say, how is he a top one hundred project, I guarantee they didn't watch him catch. And when you have a guaranteed you know, defensive catcher like Salas, like this is a Joe mack thing. It was always the same argument, right, The reason why we always had Joe Mack in like the top fifty is I was like and closer to the top thirties. Even if this guy doesn't if it's a thirty five hit tool, he's going to be two to three war because of the impact that he can have on the game. Defensively, and he's been way better than that offensively. But even if he wasn't Jack, you're calling games every day, if Joe Mack was giving you a ninety WRC plus right now, is he still not so comfortably and net positive for this team that, by the way, has not lost basically basically since they called him up.
Speaker 1: It did one hundred percent. He is, And it's fun to like kind of do this thought exercise. There may not be a more impactful transaction in Major League Baseball this year than swapping the defensive catching situation for the Miami Marlins. Like it's amazing to see, and honestly, I think you're seeing it in Cleveland right now with Pat Bailey. Like Bailey has seventeen caught stealings this year. Langoliers is up there. Langliers can smash a baseball. Contreras is up there. Contreras can smash a baseball. But Bailey and Mac and Mack is, you know, twice the hitter. Pat Bailey is. But like you know, we're watching these teams thrive right now with what they have behind the dish. If you slow down the running game, if you handle a staff at a supreme level, you're gonna have a job in major League baseball and probably a starting job in major League baseball for a really long time.
Speaker 2: And when Joe Mack was twenty, he was still kind of figuring it out offensively, like to even be a relevant prospect. He was in his age twenty season at High A. And that's the kind of the thing is. And you look at Ethan Sallas, he's twenty years old. He has kind of been his burst onto the scene. He slowed down a little bit, he had some injury. He's still having a really nice year. So he's striking out fourteen percent of the time. The bad of ball specs are great. I'm just excited for more people to see how talented this player is. And then Rainio Rodriguez. You know what can never what will just never escape me, is the fan grafts right up on like the tld R on him. And I know I've read it on the show already, and it's just so funny. Built like a short levered michelin man. Rodriguez has bashed his way and so I saw a clip though the other day. It can't escape me now, Like every time I watch him trot around the bases, after he homers, because he is eleven of those already this year. He kind of looks like a short levered michelin Man, but super talented another guy that I mean to the way that he can control his abs, the power that he has, Like he's not getting into it to the same clip he did last year, but you could easily put it on display. The air pole ability another rocket for an arm. It's just a lot of rockets for an arm behind the dish in this game. And I mean, this is just such a talented trio. I kind of wish one was on the other team so they could catch more, Like with all respect to Loronzo, like I'd rather those endings go to Rodriguez.
Speaker 1: I made that pitch on the Just Baseball Show about the second base situation. I was like, can we throw a couple n L second basement over to the American League side and just like spread the wealth a little bit, Like I'm sure you remember the little league games where someone had to go suit up for the other team and it's like, you.
Speaker 2: Know what, let's eaven this the other time they were down a guy, we had to throw them out in left field.
Speaker 1: And like, yeah, it's you know what have fun? Man?
Speaker 2: Well, the NBA they do that where they just draft the players right like or I don't know if they still do that, but didn't they do it where it's just like all of the All Stars are like cumulative. It's just one big group and then they have captains and then they draft. That would be a fun idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, team Lebron and Team Giannis. I wouldn't hate, like a team Team Arius and Team Jenkins.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then also for like in the big leagues, like tiam Otani and.
Speaker 1: Team Clement, the shop getter in the American.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is true. It's it is Team Clemetz. Yeah. Oh man, but I did not a bad idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Infield, Uh yeah, let's go infield here NL. Infielders as they stand right now, you have got Ryan Clifford of the New York Mets. He's going in Triple A for the Mets right now. In Syracuse. Charlie Condon has been raking in Albuquerque. He is knocking on the door. It seems like I'm a big league call up. But where's the space for him? Uh? Condon of the Rockies, is there? Cason Cunningham of the Diamondbacks a guy that you love is there in hi A right now. Gavin Keeln of the Giants, former Tennessee volunteer UH for Tony Vtello. He's in Hya right now. Jesus Midday obviously, Louise Payana obviously of the Milwaukee Brewers, and then Eli Will it's last year's number one overall pick for the Washington Nationals, is there as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's just the final three names. It's just it's like, holy crap, you know. I think that's the part that I'm excited about. And I was kind of curious what they would where they'd put Condon because it's kind of split in time between first base and right field. Now Condon is just on such a heater that he might just roll into this game and keep swinging it. It's been crazy. I know he's in Albuquerque, but we're getting four hundred with like ten homers in twenty games. I don't care where you're playing, and Clifford just feels like it's a result of the Mets system where it's just we got they have to send somebody. I guess. I don't mean that's a disparage Clifford, but I don't think It's been a year where you look at Ryan Clifford and say that guy should be in the futures game. He is a sixty nine WRC plus this year. He did homer yesterday, so hopefully you can keep picking it up. And he's only twenty two and he's plenty of time to prove that he's going to be a good bigligure and I think it's more than enough ingredients to do so. But this might be the lowest of RC plus ever since of the Future's Game, unfortunately. And then Cunningham just bat to the ball is so good. I want to see him another lower level guy against more experience pitching. I want to see him battle and just see what it looks like. Madayan Paania. Those guys just did there. They're such a fun tandem. I'm always gonna have a blastwashing them play together. Miday's one of the key shows here, right the number one prospect in baseball. You know, it doesn't even matter WHI side the play we're gonna see him from. It's going to be a blast. I'm just so happy Painy is healthy. There's been some scares where, like you know, he collapsed in the dugout, was out for a long time. They said he went to a neurolo just seem really get another update from there. Then he came back immediately came out of the game and was like look sick, like he was dry heaping whatever. And now he's back again and he's been okay, So thank goodness. So I'm just glad he could be playing in this game. And then Eli Will it's another guy like, well, this power all of a sudden, Man, this guy's slugging. So I want to see it, just a continue to see that. But we talked about our spring break out takeaways and it was how Willitts was able to spoil against elite arms and just how well he controls his abs and everything. But I love the willets defensive ability as well. And I think he might make a highlight reel play at short that it is going to get people excited.
Speaker 1: I dig it. All right, We will Tye Bow on this program with the National League Outfield and the nl outfield grouping is Roaldey Brito of the Colorado Rockies, who is in low A right now. Roaldi Brido born in April of two thousand and seven. Host Swayed Depaula of the Dodgers. He's in double A. Edward Florentino the Pittsburgh Pirates, Josiah Hartshort, the guy that you highlighted, Dakota Jordan of the Giants, and then Mike Serota is the on base streak still going.
Speaker 2: Yes, seventy sixty eight games. It's it's seventy seventy.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: We got we got to count it. If he gets on base here too, which he probably will. Seroda is unbelievable. And that's somebody that we were talking about going into this year, and it said, I feel like everybody is too low on this guy. You look at the eggs of velocities, you look at the defensive ability, you look at the approach. How is this guy not a consensus top twenty. Well now he's a consensus top twenty prospect going into this year. And I know that the injury was a little bit of a detractor, but we were talking. People were talking about age to level and stuff like that. He was in Northeastern and he comes up and I thought the low a thing was was a little bit of like a slow start, Like I don't know why they would put him there, but he put a two hundred WRC plus up and then he gets a high A and is equally as good. Last year with the ridiculous you know peripherals that we saw, it was like an average egs of vlasity north of ninety three miles an hour. The swing decisions were so lead all these different things, and how is this guy not more highly regarded? And then you go into this year and even it felt like then because he repeated high A, people were still like, huh not got to see him do it in double like this guy's tormenting hi A. And again, just watch him play. He's by far the best player. It seems like he's the best player on the field every single time he's on there. Now he's up in double A and it's the same thing. One seventy seven WRC bus in HIGA one seventy six and double A. I don't know why the Dodgers have been so stationed to station with him. Maybe it's because they have so many freaking outfielders, but I don't know. I always felt like we were a little bit slow moving on this guy because he has shown us who he is from the day he got into pro ball. And it's been so much fun to watch, and yeah, you're gonna see him just on an all time streak, and I think a guy that can really i think turn heads in a lot of different ways. He could go make an incredible highlight reel grab in the outfield. He could hit a ball as far as anybody in this game because he has crazy raw power, could show you those really impressive takes. And he can also battle and have a great a b in general. So excited about Sioda. Rodi Brido is one where it's just underrated because it's a Rockies prospect and you know, maybe doesn't get to shine. This guy is mashed and mashed and mashed and mashed. He flies, so I'm excited to see like the wheels and everything like that. But he's turned nineteen years old a little bit after opening day and just continues to put up ridiculous numbers at low A last year, finished the year between the Complex and low A with just video game numbers as well. Brido is just a really talented player that I think more people will be privy to after this game. Switch Hitter with all the talent as well. Florentino is fun obviously in the pirate Tour, like that's going to be a guy that I think people are just gonna enjoy watching him get his swing off. It's designed for air and swinging hard and try to pull that thing straight out to right field. But Hoseway to Paula and what he's done this year, he might be the most pure hitter, one of the most pure hitters we're going to have in this game. And I think people are just going to naturally gravitate towards him and say, holy crap, that's a big leaguer because he just looks like it with the way he carries himself in the box. And then Josiah Hartshorn, like what he has done this year. The Cubs have had so many breakout prospects, but Hartshorn has been as impressive as any. Just Homer the other day and like extra dead center, just switch hitter. We've talked about him AHT on the show now at this point, but nineteen years old, sixth round switch hitter that is having the year that he's having where Loway was easy and he gets to high a ten homers and thirty eight games already, the ability already from the left side of the plates ahead but like still solid from the right side, just just such a good balance of hitting power and approach. Already, they're like, what is this guy going to be as he just continues to mature and fill out and all of these things. And then Dakota Jordan. This is the if Theo Gillen isn't the toolsiest player in this game, it's Dakota Jordan. I just watched him at a homer one seventeen the other day. He's also a plus runner, and he's come along so well in centerfield. Now he's going to swing and miss a good bit, but he's on a nice stretch here at Hya where he has not been striking out. Something is clicked for him. And we just did the social video kind of breaking down the top performers in the minor leagues right now, and Jordan was one of them. He is really settled in all of a sudden at hig A. Over his last ten games, he struck out just eleven percent of the time. And if Dakota jan is a forty hit tool, he's gonna have a long major league baseball career. And I think he could easily be that here hitting homer's one seventeen and you're a plus runner and you're now developing into a solid center fielder. But at worst could be like a short platoon corner guy with the ability to play good defense. This is the guy that if he runs into a baseball everyone's gonna start to get reckless with with the excitement about Zacta Jordan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, who has the better roster?
Speaker 2: I gotta go to the American League, I think because the pitching is so much better. I like the bats overall, I think in the National League side, but when the pitching is that much better and then you get arius In devrez Combo and then Theo Gillen and Walker Jenkins, like you've got half the top ten there, I think the bats really do make up for a lot of it in the National League side, But the pitching gap is just kind of nuts. It's kind of nuts. So I think it's closer than I thought it would be by the time we got to the end of it. Yeah, but this this American League maye te off a little.
Speaker 1: Bit, so I think the AL I'm with you, The ALE pitching situation far far better, but the NL bat situation is fun. De Paula Homer last year in Atlanta. De Paul is my MVP pick. I think Depaula like I And this is a conversation that I honestly think could be thirty minutes on the Just Baseball Show at some point. How the hell did the Dodgers view their five year plan in the outfield? What do they do?
Speaker 2: Did they just go into the year like Soroeda is a guy I think you couldn't trade, But now De Paul is the guy you really can't trade. And Sorota's been even better than the guy can't trade.
Speaker 1: You can't trade Serota either, like you can't trade two of them. So do you trade Hope and then do like.
Speaker 2: You like four times in his last six games in Double A, by the way, to get his ops up to like nine hundred. I don't know what the hell you do. I think you trade Hope, But like Mike Gosh, it is craziness. I and I think what closes the gap here and the in terms of the teams is you have Paynya and my Miday. You have the number one prospect of the day will It's is gonna be top top five or so on our update, And then you have two of the hottest hitters in the minor leagues into Paula and Sorota, so it's it's really hard, but I lean al Overall that said, I think the more I look at it, it is closer because of the catching trio that they have there as well. It's just I think pitching wins this game at the end of the day. Okay, but MVP, I feel like I need to go with a an American League bat because I think they're going to have a better shot at being able to tee off. I'll go. I'll go Franklin Arius. I just think he's so advanced and he's he's he's seeing better arms than some of these guys already give me Arius on the on the m v P.
Speaker 1: Very chalky from both of us. Ye, so yeah, Franklin Arius and uh host way to Paul our m VP picks. So that's what you got in enjoy the Futures game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope you guys enjoy it. Let us know, like we'll do a little bit of a recap and what you enjoyed the most about it. I'll give one other like a little shout. Ralphievelaskaz might just go deep in a picture's tool here and and steal the thing too cool. We have a lot of interviews going out on our YouTube, on our audio feed, be sure to keep an eye out for that. Check out our socials. We've been putting a lot more social video out on TikTok, Instagram, whatever it may be. For the call up as well, and a reminder will be if you're out there, come say hello. If you see us, you know, at the games or whatever, Please do if you see us around town, but come see us at Other Half Brewery. We're gonna be doing a watch party for the All Star Game and trivia, tons of giveaways, a lot of fun stuff going on there. Would love to see you out there. It's Other Half Brewery. You can RSVP with the link in the episode description. Would love to see you there as always, Thank you for listening. Look forward to talking prospects and drafts and all of that good stuff with you and the other out of the All Star Breaker. Actually we'll be talking to you during the All Star break, but looking forward to doing that next week