Speaker 1: Hey, that folks is Friday, February thirteenth, and there is now a forensic artist sketch of the possible suspect in the Guthrie case. But police didn't ask for it. With that welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. They didn't ask for it, Robes. But it's coming from a woman that we have to pay attention to. But let me before we get into her background, what did you think about this story? To hear there's a sketch, first of all, piques your interest. It's not from police, but it seems to add to the nature of this case to where there's nothing official and some things are just bizarre.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're right. This fits with the theme of the entire past thirteen days, where nothing can be explained and nothing can be anticipated, and yet you kind of have to consider it all because that's where we are and look to have a sketch of a potential suspect based on what we see in the surveillance camera and what she knows I guess, based on her expertise how to maybe kind of see through a ski mask. I don't know how she did it or how she does it, and I couldn't help but wondering after looking at it, if this won't be a huge help or a massive distraction.
Speaker 1: There it is. That was my next thing, because folks says you're listening to us is early morning here on Friday. This sketch artist out of Houston put this together yesterday. It started getting a little pick up in the Houston area. But robes, I imagine one authorities might take a look at this or my comment on this a rose. This is probably going to start making some rounds today.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. She has a four decade long career and has some pretty incredible bona fides, like where you can say, wow, this isn't just some random person who says, let me try to sketch something. This is someone who knows what she's doing and has been credited for solving cases ropes.
Speaker 1: She has one at least line on her resume I didn't even know existed. We talk about it all over the years. If you've worked in the industry or you just see randomly as a citizen. They are all kinds of Guinness records. Guinness record for a big waffle, a Guinness record for the tallest ladder are the most random things. Ever. This woman is the Guinness World Record holder for the most successful forensic artists ever. That's kind of a legit title.
Speaker 2: It's impressive. Yeah, I don't know what the competition was like, but it seems like she was basically ahead of the rest in a field of her own, in a class of her own, in a field of forensic sketch artists.
Speaker 1: So this is why, folks, a sketch is not just something random by some random someone. This is a woman with credentials and has convictions to back it up. We are who we are talking about as a woman by the name of Lois Gibson. That's not some name. A lot of people know, certainly the Hue scenario. They do because she's been at it in the Houston area for four decades with the police department. She just retired in twenty and twenty one. Her record here robes more than five thousand, eighty nine sketches. Excuse me, that's an exact number. When she retired, she said, I've done five thousand and eighty nine sketches. Approximately thirteen hundred have been positively idd in cases, and she has over a thousand convictions to her name. That is impressive. So when you hear that woman who has done all of that is a Guinness World record holder, and you hear that, you know what, nobody asked me, But I want to help the Guthrie family too. I looked at those surveillance images robes and that's what she's basing it on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know what, So this is something that I think a lot of people are going to be clicking on today. They're going to be looking at this sketch as we did. And if it sparks one person to say I think I know who that is, they can piece together perhaps as what they know about this person. This could lead to a break in the case. People need to visualize stuff. They need to be able to see things for themselves to be able to try to put certain clues in place, and that's what police have been asking neighbors, people who know people in the area to be considering things they wouldn't have otherwise. They need someone to recognize this person, and what better way to do it than with a sketch.
Speaker 1: So here's the problem. Police are going to have to say something. They're gonna have to say, yes, keep an eye out for this guy or ignore this because there is now an image out there that quite frankly robes looks a little general.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you what I think the sketch looked like. I think the sketch looked almost identical to Carlos the door Dash delivery driver, Ibby.
Speaker 1: Dan's it looks like Sweetheart. But I heard a comment from someone say it looks like Marco Rubio with the goatee. Like it looks like such a general appear. It's of a brown skin, maybe Latino man. And look, there are some specific and somebody might see that immediately go wow, that's da da da. But they're gonna have to say public look out for this guy or don't because if they start getting calls say hey, I've seen the sketch and I know this guy you talk about tips, they're gonna be coming in from everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yes, because I will say it's it's interesting looking at the sketch, it does seem like someone who you would know like it does it it? Actually? I know it does look like a lot of men of Latino descent, but there is something specific, and I would say it's in the eyes. And the cool thing about this sketch is that is the one thing she actually could look at in this surveillance video, we do have a very good look at the suspect on the front porch of Nancy Guthri. His eyes and they are large, or at least they seemed large in the surveillance video and the way she put it in his face. They are a distinguishing feature, and that you know, you know people through their eyes. You recognize people in their eyes, So that that is the one thing that maybe gives me hope that she did have that to work off of, and they are an exceptional part of the sketch where if you know someone and you know those eyes, this could potentially lead to a break and she's had that happen before in her past work, so it's kind of it's exciting. Look, we haven't had a lot of things to go on, and to have something like this as a possibility could be perhaps an accelerant to figuring out this case.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't we assume that authorities already had, like they had to have been working on something like this behind the scenes. Maybe they didn't like it or think it was enough to put out there. They didn't want to maybe do something like this based on somebody's opinion of what someone looks like under a mask. I don't I have to think they were going after an avenue like this.
Speaker 2: Possibly, but it's and you pointed this out, It's not just somebody, this is the person. This is the skeedule artists that you would lean on. It would appear if you were to lean on a sketch artist at all.
Speaker 1: And she absolutely did say, like you said, the features that you absolutely can see. She says she did base it on this. She did try to qualify and said I guessed, she said, this is an her Facebook statement. I guessed that the parts of the face covered with the ski mask on the Nancy Guthrie kidnapping suspect. I use surveillance photos shown I spent forty three years at a job trying to help detective with similar photos. Only things somewhat sure are eyes and part of the lips and mustache. I'll take the hit if I'm drastically wrong. Don't criticize. Do your own version. Is how she left it. But this is I mean, Robes, she's the real I don't know if there's a random artist or a random I don't know Robes because it's her and her background that we have been back deep diving and researching because it's her. How can we dismiss the photo? How can police dismiss the photo? But can this cause chaos? Because everybody in the country if they start looking for a guy the police say is not the guy? What does this do to the case?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that's the concern, and I think that's why she put all of those qualifiers in her Facebook post. I appreciate the fact that she's trying to do something. She has a skill set that's been recognized, that's been effective, that has helped families, and you can tell based on we looked at some prior interviews she's done, she is a kind hearted person who wants to help, and so I do appreciate that she she put I guessed at parts of the face covered with the sche masks, and she put guests in all caps, like she just wants to make sure. Hey, I'm not saying this is the person, but this could be the person, and based on my experience, this could be the direction we should be headed in terms of who we're looking for. But she she I like that said she's the only thing she's somewhat sure of. That's funny. That's a funny statement, but she's just being honest.
Speaker 1: And this is stuff she's had to work on before. And usually she says roles and forensics and artists is what they do. They go on people's memories. So she actually has more to go on, at least visually, than she's used to doing. It is so impressive and the reason she's doing this, there are a lot of people in this country who wish they could just pick up the phone and make the Guthrie family pain go away and Nancy Guthrie be back home. Everybody wants to help. Her comment here was that I did this because I couldn't stop myself. I just couldn't stop myself. I wanted to help. I felt the pain. And that's word there, I felt the pain. That statement is more real than you can imagine. Stay here, we'll explain now the backstory on this Guinness World Record holder for forensic artists and why she is so good at her job. It comes from a painful experience decades ago. Stay here, all right, We continue here on Amy and TJ. On this Friday, February thirteenth, an artist sketch is floating around potential suspect in the Nancy Guthrie case. But rodes this is not an official sketch, but I believe it's gonna get around today and people are already trying to piece things together. They're looking at the sketch and then comparing it to surveillance videos that have been shown around the area Tucson. They said, oh, it kind of looks like that guy. And then you saw it and said, it kind of looks like the DoorDash guy who got arrested or excuse me, detained and released.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, actually because I happened to just see the sketch and then he was in an adjacent article and I looked at the two of them side by side and thought she if she were trying to sketch him, she kind of nailed it. But no, it does look like the person They detained briefly, and it was reported that part of the reason why that DoorDash driver was detained was because his eyes matched the eyes in that surveillance video. And that is the one thing you can see clearly. You can see the suspect's eyes, you can see his lips, and you can see he has a mustache. Don't know if it's a goatee, don't know if it's a full beard. She took some obvious liberty she had to take with his hair and his facial hair, but she knows his build and wait, so to speak, so she can kind of fill out his face a certain way and with the eyes look, it's possible that she could spark some tip that could lead to the guy. You never know, and certainly it's happened before. But I did appreciate her talking about it, and you could tell when she was speaking about why she did this, why she stepped up and decided to draw this sketch without police asking her to. She has not only spent almost four decades with people who have survived or have been a part of violent crimes, trying to help solf cases, she herself has been at the center of one.
Speaker 1: You know, you make a good point that I read so many of her comments and then you see video of her making those comments. She does she comes across totally different, a like her heart is in it, like a very sweet lady. And two, yes, your point ropes is because it comes from a place in her twenties to twenty one years old out in La wanting to be a dancer, wanted to be an actress. She was raped, beaten, tortured, left for dead by a guy who was later caught and was a serial rapist and murder out there in California. She survived that, moved back to Texas, started working as an artist on the street, drawing sketches for like tourists and things like that. And then she said she forced herself onto the Houston PD. She said, there was resistance and like, how can you help us? But she did a sketch that was a crappy sketch. It was her first case, crappy sketch that caught a murderer. And when she realized the power she had, and she spent the next forty years robes getting back at the guy who raped and beat her, is what she said, forty years getting back at him with a sketch at a time, by putting them behind scenes. And she called them these aren't the greatest pieces of art in the world. And she said, when I realized that I was addicted. I'm addicted to putting people behind bars, I just got chills.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, when you have something personal like that that's so transformational and then you can use that for good and that's what she realized she could do. That's just such a cool story. And you know what, I think you found this story this morning and we've been googling it. I am with you. I think this is going to This sketch that she has created is going to catch fire today. I think if you're waking up and you're listening to this, go look at the sketch and you can start to see because it's not just oh, some random person put out a sketch. It's the country's most accomplished forensic artist is revealing what the mass concealed. Like those are going to be the headlines because it's just now kind of percolating out of Houston. All it takes is one national outlet to pick this up and boom, It's going to be everywhere. And let's hope that it helps. Let's hope that it doesn't distract. Let's hope that this maybe leads folks into the correct direction. But we have to lean on her expertise, we have to lean on her forty years of effective history with finding perpetrators and putting them behind bars.
Speaker 1: I'm so curious to hear from police and I just what they will say. Will they say, look, we can't rely on this or will they say, you know what, call us if you think you see the guy. They've got to say something because now the public needs a direction to go. Are we looking for this guy or not? And this roopes there is nobody better. The other note about this lady, you're everybody remembers I can't remember the name. I apologize, but the very famous World War two times square kiss yes the sailor right, yes, dipping the woman and kissing. Can't remember that that sailor. It was a sailor, not a soldier. I believe. I believe it was a sailor, most famous, one of the most famous photos of the war. She later on did the work to help confirm who it was in that picture through forensics over the This happened in recent years because she had to match up who that person was with faces and features and whatnot. She was a part of that case. I'm saying, this woman is legit. Well, every show you can think of America's most wanted, all that stuff, been there, done that, She's done it all.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so with that history, with that resume.
Speaker 1: Why shouldn't we listen to that?
Speaker 2: You'd have to think that the FBI and police there in Tucson are going to welcome her stepping in and welcome her expertise and maybe you know what. They have had thirteen thousand tips come in since February first, this is day thirteen of the search. They've been a little distracted in the sense that they have been chasing down hunting down tips. Maybe they haven't had the time or the wherewithal, or the resources necessarily to even consider ringing in a sketch artist. Yes, they've been doing forensics with the surveillance video in terms of determining his height and his build and those sorts of things, but maybe it just hadn't been something on their mind.
Speaker 1: Well, they say it's not reliable, right, It's one thing to go from somebody's memory. You saw somebody, tell me what you saw, I'll draw it. But this woman and if they might come out and say, yet, look, we know this is not a reliable way to go about putting and that's why we haven't done it. But they got to say something, Robes. They can't leave guy's in the country who look like this hanging, because there's a bunch of dudes that could fit that description.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I'm wondering too, like she chose to make him. It's interesting. Looks like he could be in his thirties, maybe forties, but he looks like a younger man, and maybe that would be the idea. Just by the way he was moving. She was trying to put an age on him. But look, it's a very specific sketch. It's sometimes you see sketches and they're very basic. They're kind of rudimentary. They're almost like an outline of a face with a This is a very detailed This looks like a portrait where someone sat down in perfect lighting and she drew. I mean it's you said that. She claims she's not that great of an artist. This looks like an unbelievable portrait of somebody.
Speaker 1: And she does it usually from memory, sitting down with someone, but this time she had images to work with en robes. She is a victim herself. She said that also helps her be good at her job. She usually has to sit across from someone in pain, recalling one of the most traumatic things in their life. She said that pain that she feels she relates to, and it makes her good at a job. She's doing it once again. I can't wait to see how this works out ropes.
Speaker 2: Yes, it'll be very interesting to hear if and when the police comment on this sketch, which again is going to be everywhere today, So we will keep you updated on any new developments in the Guth three case and certainly any breaking news throughout the day. You can always count on us. You can hit subscribe there on the top right corner of your podcast, but we are always here looking at the news and doing our best to try and bring it to you when we can. But we thank you as always for listening to us. I'm Amy Robock alongside TJ. Holmes. We will talk to you very soon. The two ens