Speaker 1: Hi, gain everybody. I'm Dan Hord and thanks for downloading the Bengals Booth Podcast. Belong and Winding Road audition as the Bengals fall to four and seven, losing to the Chargers in Los Angeles. Coming up radio replays, locker room comments and postgame analysis from Dave Lapham. Then, in this week's fun Facts Conversation, you'll not only get to know rookie Chris Jenkins, but you'll get a little bonus after our conversation, proving that you can find just about anything on the Internet. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet design to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered right to your phone, tablet, or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since renting a car that you would never buy. I'm not a big car guy. I like to spend my income on experiences like travel, sporting events, and concerts. But every now and again I get to drive rental cars that are a significant upgrade from my several years old Supero outpack. It happened this weekend when I wound up behind the wheel of a tricked out, brand new Jeep Wagoneer. It was huge, it was luxurious, and it had a high tech dashboard that made me feel like I was piloting the Space Shuttle. I don't plan to buy one anytime soon, but for a day, it was fun to ride in style. Now time for the radio replays from Sunday nights game at Sofi Stadium, in the home of Hollywood. Two of the NFL's biggest superstars go head to head in prime time. It's Joe Burrow and the Bengals versus Justin Herbert and the Los Angeles Chargers. And it is time for the big skin to fly here at Palatial so By Stadium. Evin McPherson thirteen out of seventeen on his field goal attempts this season.
Speaker 2: This will be a twenty six yard try from the left.
Speaker 1: Hash Adam Might is ready to snap it back to Rico the placement that kicked a high spinning, end over end kick. It is good and the Bengals are on the scoreboard.
Speaker 2: First.
Speaker 1: They lead the Chargers three to nothing with six twenty seven left here in the first quarter. First and ten at the Cincinnati twenty nine yard line, Dobbins in at running back. Herbert is under center. He takes the snaff, fakes a handoff, throws downfield. It is caught and Will Disley grabs it at the four and trots into the end zone for a Chargers touchdown. This will be a twenty seven yard attempt for McPherson from the right hash trying for his second field goal of the game.
Speaker 2: His kick is on its way.
Speaker 1: It is down the middle and good, and Cincinnati has scored on back to back possessions, unfortunately settling for three points each time. Second and seventh at the Cincinnati twenty six, Herbert fakes a handoff bootlegs to the right. Now moving up the middle of the field, he fires touchdown Brenton Johnston with tremendous separation behind the Bengals secondary.
Speaker 2: He does a backflip.
Speaker 1: In the end zone and justin Herbert has thrown touchdown passes of twenty plus on back to back drives. Herbert under center, he takes the snaff. It's a handoff and a leaping touchdown for JK.
Speaker 2: Dobbins.
Speaker 1: He goes up and over the pile and soars into the end zone for La Cameron Dicker into attempt a fifty three yard field goal try. His long of the year is fifty nine. Trying to put the Chargers up by three touchdowns from the right. Hash His kick is up. It is good. It looked like it might fade to the right, and then it hooked a bit and stayed inside the right upright for the fifty three yard field goal.
Speaker 2: Fourth and goal from the five. Burrow waits at the ten.
Speaker 1: Three receivers right, one left, shotgun snap, Let's come.
Speaker 2: In, let's throw. The slant is caught. Chase coming in form the left side, makes the catch.
Speaker 1: It's a touchdown for Jamar, his NFL leading eleventh touchdown catch. Fourth down and two at the forty two balls on the left. Hash, three receivers out to the right, one out to the left. Burrow ready for the shotgun snap. He catches, takes a deep drop. He's gonna fire an iron long into the in zone, caught by T.
Speaker 2: Higgins for the forty two yard touchdown.
Speaker 1: Welcome back T Higgins. Herbert ready for the shotgun snap. The Big Guy catches, fakes two. Dobbins rolls out to the right now takes off and runs and Mike Hilton will make the tackle.
Speaker 2: Ball comes out, the Bengals recover.
Speaker 1: Gino Stone has it for Cincinnati and the Bengals get a takeaway. Burrow catches the shotgun snap against the four man rush. He's back pedaling all the way to the thirty throws before getting hit into the end zone. It is cock by Jamar Chase for the touchdown and the Bengals are a pat away from a racing a twenty one point deficit. Rookie punter Ryan Rico is the holder Cincinnati trying to take the lead after being behind by twenty one in the second half. The kick is up, fading left. It is wide left. Evan McPherson misses. Distance was not a problem, but he hooked it and the game is still tied with seven thirty one to go. This is a fifty six yard try for the lead with less than two minutes to go. The snap, the placement the kick is up, it is hooking left and it is no good. Twenty six seconds to go. It's a handoff to Dobbins running up the middle of the field. He's at the twenty, he's at the fifteen, he's at the ten, and he will dive over the pylon for a Chargers touchdown.
Speaker 2: The ball comes out.
Speaker 1: At the end, but he was safely into the end zone and the Chargers score a touchdown with eighteen seconds to go on a run by JK. Dobbins. Three seconds left. The Bengals down by seven. They have the ball at the forty three of Los Angeles. Two receivers go out to each side of the formation. Burrow taps both sides of his helmet. He's ready for the snap. Four down linemen, the Chargers send a fifth defender. Burrow launches it off his back foot toward the goal line, broken up incomplete, and the Chargers win by the final score of thirty four to twenty seven.
Speaker 3: We are where we're at. I'm not happy with her where we're at.
Speaker 4: I don't think anybody is.
Speaker 1: But all you can do is come back tomorrow and try to get better. Just been the most frustrating seas into.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what.
Speaker 4: Pretty self explanatory.
Speaker 5: How do you explain the way this season has gone where it feels like we've been in the spot after so many games, they've all felt.
Speaker 1: One play away, like you've made so many winning plays. Are you able to explain it?
Speaker 3: How do you explain?
Speaker 4: It's got to make the plays. Just got to make the plays.
Speaker 6: And we have it down the stretch and we're not We're not, you know, a good enough team to you know, our margin of vera is slim, so we got to make those plays.
Speaker 4: I got to make those plays. We all got to make those plays.
Speaker 1: The Bengals almost equal the biggest come from behind victory and team history. They rallied from twenty one down to win in nineteen eighty one and nineteen ninety five, but they couldn't pull it off this time, losing thirty four to twenty seven. Dave Lapham talked to Zach Taylor after the game.
Speaker 4: Man, another another unbelievable football games. I mean one thing, your football team will never quit.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and at some point that's going to count for something. You know, we've all got the same sick feeling in our stomachs. Guys competed like crazy in the second half, unbelievable comeback, had our opportunities to finish the game off, and we just didn't do it, you know. And that's kind of been the story for the season so far. There's still opportunity in front of us, and I expect to take advantage of it.
Speaker 4: I mean, every single football game but one has been a one score game. I mean, well, you're one in one, in five, one and six, whatever it is in one score games. I mean, it's just a matter of a play here or there. I guess you know that's that's the National Football League. But was it just a matter of execution from first half to second half? Did you make any adjustments at half time? Was just like, let's just do better what we're doing. Yeah, a little bit of that.
Speaker 7: There were certainly adjustments. Is we've got a better feel for how they're playing us on both sides of the ball. Thought the coaches did a good job. Players bullied in it, players understood it, capitalized on and put ourselves in a really good position to find a way to win in a tough road environment against good football team and just just came up short.
Speaker 4: You got to feel sick for Evan McPherson. I mean, he's he's made a lot of big kicks in his career and he just he's in one of those one of those funks now that you know players get in. It's hard to explain, isn't it It is?
Speaker 7: You know, we got confidence in him, We're counting on him, and he'll have more opportunities to come asway.
Speaker 4: So I mean, Joe Burrow twenty eight for fifty, they're in a fifty six yards three touchdowns. T Higgins his first game back, I mean, the tong hang in there like he did Cardio Vashlee and physically in a game like this, nine Cats one hundred and forty eight yards of forty two yard touchdown. I mean, it's amazing what these guys were able to accomplish.
Speaker 8: These guys competed.
Speaker 7: You know, we can count on them down and down out. We ask a lot of them. They come up big for us every single time. And you know, proud of the way that all of our guys competed, not just Tea and Jamar and Joe, but all these guys. They left it all in the field, and you just feel sick for this locker room for kind of what they've gone through and no one the potential that we have, no one the potential that's stole in front of us. And so we're gonna take this by week to regroup, get our bodies back right, and if we want to make the playoffs, we're gonna have to go on a run. It's going to take great effort, it's going to take a lot of wins, but I believe this team can do it.
Speaker 4: Man, when you look at it defensively, what about that side of it. I mean the first half Herbert was like on fire, I mean, with with this throwing arm, with his legs, with everything else. And then I mean the first twelve plays of the second half offensively, they had fourteen yards on their first twelve steps. I mean, what was it was? Their adjustments again at halftime was just execute better, a little of both.
Speaker 7: We just I mean, we really competed in the back end. I saw a lot of guys make plays.
Speaker 2: On the balls.
Speaker 7: Tight coverage, a little more pressure, and then those guys, you know, they made the ball come out and those guys made plays on the balls.
Speaker 8: It was big time performance from them.
Speaker 7: So just really proud of the way that both sides of the ball responded there at halftime, gave us a chance to win.
Speaker 4: Didn't turn I mean turnovers were not an issue. That was you know, that was something that they were living off if they were a plus nine. You guys got the big fumble, the big takeaway that that was a big factor in the football game. You know, what did you tell your team? What did you tell your team after the football game as you go into the bye week.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that I'm sick of these speeches post game where we're just close and we didn't quite do enough. Still proud of them what they did. I saw every single guy compete, play for each other. Not many teams in this league down twenty four to six on the road can put it together to come back and get back in it with a good team like that. And we're going to depend on each other, you know, because that's all we're going to have right now, stick tight together.
Speaker 8: We have enough talent to go on and run.
Speaker 7: We got to take this bye week to get our bodies right and come back huge game against Pittsburgh and if we can win that game, then everything's right in front of us.
Speaker 8: We got to just take advantage of it.
Speaker 4: And finally, what was it like with with guys in the locker room at halftime, I mean, did your leaders step off, have anything to say? Was just like, let's just take care of business here. I mean, was it? How was it approach at halftime?
Speaker 7: We just need to get in a half time, take a deep breath. You know, it was emotional at the end of the half. Guys just got in there, sat down, took a deep breath. We went over all the adjustments we're going to make, and it was a good locker room and there was still belief that if we just take it one possession at a time, we're going to have enough opportunities to get back in the game. That's what our guys did, starting with the defense getting a huge stop offense. Then the second possession went down and scored points and we just we got right back in it. And probably the way the guys responded to start with the second half got us in the game.
Speaker 4: We got to find a ways to finish it. As always, appreciate your time. I know this isn't isn't easy. I know it's a it's it's not only for the players, I mean, it's for the coaching staff, for everybody to get their hearts ripped out like that is a difficult thing. And appreciate you our carvent time to join us and talk about a coach.
Speaker 8: Thanks.
Speaker 1: So Joe burrought through for three hundred and fifty six yards with three touchdowns and no picks. He leads the NFL with twenty seven touchdown passes and has only thrown four interceptions all year. After missing three games of a quad injury, t Higgins returned with nine catches for one hundred and forty eight yards and a touchdown. And Jamar Chase continues to dazzle. He had seven catches, seventy five yards and two tds. Then there's Chase Brown. He ran for eighty six He added fifty seven on the ground for a total of one hundred and forty three yards. And I talked to Chase after the game. Chase another big game statistically more than one hundred combined rushing and receiving yards. I imagine that's a little consolation after a really tough loss.
Speaker 6: Again, Yeah, we we just want to we want to win games. I just go there and do my job and sometimes personal stack comes up with that. But then of the day, we gotta we gotta finish these games better execute and some areas better and come out.
Speaker 4: With these w's.
Speaker 1: Describe the feeling on the sideline as you rallied from twenty one down again the stingiest defense in the NFL at this point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just confidence. We know we're capable of We're explosive and it really just takes a little spark to get us going. So we had we had it rolling there for a little bit. They came back and made some good adjustments and yeah, we just got to finish off those games better.
Speaker 1: Do you almost feel jinxed? I mean, there have been so many games now where one play that goes in a different direction and you're the winner.
Speaker 3: C NFL.
Speaker 6: These games are close, but at the end of the day, a team that wakes, you know, one extra play is usually the one that wins it.
Speaker 4: So, you know, we were one short today. I want to watch the film when we get.
Speaker 6: Back and users by week to just recoup reset and you know, just come back into these last few stretches here, you know, with the you know, two division games against the Steelers and seeing the Browns again and just you know, making sure we're right back in the race.
Speaker 3: We're not, We're not unmotivated.
Speaker 6: It's just gonna make us even more motivated to you know, go out there and you know, put even better film out, better tape out, and not only just play, not play for the name of oar back, but just you know, play for this team, play for the coaches, play for the fans, and just just be better.
Speaker 1: You had t Higgins back tonight. He had nearly one hundred and fifty receiving yards. Talk about a guy that didn't miss a beat. That was remarkable.
Speaker 6: Now, yeah, no, he's he's explosive man, can take the top off any defense. Same with Jamar So got so many threats in that receiver room. It's it's it's a dangerous room.
Speaker 1: Appreciate your time. Thanks Jase.
Speaker 2: Thanks ticking defensively.
Speaker 1: After a rough first half, the Bengals were tremendous in the second, at least until the final minute. I talked to Logan Wilson, who had eight tackles and forced to fumble. Logan, it's a gut check. I mean, you guys mounted a tremendous comeback, and unfortunately it's one of those years where for whatever reason, you can't make that one play that beats good teams.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 5: I mean, we just can't find a way to catch a break. We gave ourselves opportunities and just didn't take advantage of them and.
Speaker 1: Stuff.
Speaker 5: When you have those opportunities, you have to take full advantage, especially in this league, and we didn't.
Speaker 1: How did you flip things defensively in the second half because they were obviously giving you fits in the second quarter the second half, didn't do much until the final drive.
Speaker 5: Well, we were just giving up explosives in the first half, and it was on stuff that we were doing, and we just settled in and played one play at a time and just found a way to scratch a claw back into that game.
Speaker 1: One positive is that some of the young DB's made a lot of plays in the second half. Josh Newton, DJ turn or maybe some of these younger guys took a significant step tonight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we're gonna need them to play that well and keep getting better within their individual craft the rest of the year because we're gonna need him.
Speaker 1: Got the bye week coming up and the Steelers after that. How do you move on, Just.
Speaker 5: Find a way to get your get our bodies back underneath us and get our minds right and just just just try to find a way. I mean, that's all we can do at this point. Just keep scratching a clown, keep fighting.
Speaker 4: We just can't give up. And that's what we're going to continue to do, is to keep fighting.
Speaker 1: I don't even want to mention some of the plays that have happened in these games, but do you find yourself it's almost like you're living a nightmare with some of the way these games have ended.
Speaker 5: It's tough, It's it's uh. I mean, it's pretty easy to get frustrated when you're when stuff like that happen is happening, but it's just part of this year we're having right now as we're just not finding ways to win unfortunately, and either just kind of find a way to grow from it, or you can find a way to bicker about it and can plain to you guys about it, and that's not That's not what we're gonna do. We're just gonna continue to find a way to go to work and find a way to get better and just keep fighting because we have we have guys that are capable of being a good football team, and we just haven't put it all together yet, and so we're just gonna keep fighting.
Speaker 3: That's all we can do.
Speaker 1: Appreciate your Time's always thank you. The Bengals have their buy next week before a home game against the dread hated but grudgingly respected Pittsburgh Steelers, who now lead the AFC North by game and a half after beating Baltimore on Sunday eighteen sixteen. Remember when the Bengals couldn't beat the Steelers back in the Big Ben era, Well, now that team is Baltimore. Pittsburgh is one eight of its last nine meetings against the Ravens. The Browns march toward a high draft pick continues. Cleveland is two and eight after thirty four to fourteen drubbing to the Saints in the battle for the final playoff spot in the AFC. Denver improved a six and five with a thirty eight to six win over the Falcons. The Colts are five and six after beating the Jets twenty eight twenty seven, and the Dolphins are four and six after beating the Raiders thirty four to nineteen. The Bengals are now behind all of those teams at four and seven. The Bengals Booth podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, proud to be the Bengals Official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health, the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now time for the radio guys recap.
Speaker 2: Lap.
Speaker 1: For a while, it looked like the Bengals were going to rally from twenty one down and win for the third time in franchise history. It would have tied the team record for biggest come from behind win. Unfortunately, a couple of missfield goals in the fourth quarter and a drive gone wrong defensively in the final minute cost them yet another close game.
Speaker 4: Really, it's amazing, I mean you look at it. Every one of their losses except for one, has been a one score loss, a couple of one pointers, a three pointer, a five pointer, a six pointer, now a seven pointers. It's almost unfathomable really, And you know, to show the heart, the determination, the no quit attitude to come back from that, everything that I've been told here in the locker room after the game was. The locker room at halftime was great. I mean, guys, there was no finger point and there was nobody losing their minds. Was just, look, we got to execute better, make some adjustments here. We're capable of winning this football game. And they went out and played a much different game in the second half. It was like a tailor two has as we talked about during the course of the broadcast. And then Monny Mack is just struggling, man. I mean, nobody feels worse than he does. It's like you come back and tie the football game and then you lose it. The way the game was lost, it just rips your heart out. I mean, and how many times if we said that this year. I mean, I don't know how many heart transplants you can go through in one season. But it's incredible. I mean, the winning touchdowns, a twenty nine yard touchdown run. Robbins had twenty seven yards on ten carries before that play, and they run simple power pull the guard, pull the tight end behind them, they get their blocks and he's off to the races. So you have to play every single snap with you know, everybody playing their gap, controlled discipline, responsibility and everything goes along with it or something like that's going to happen. So it's it's heartbreaking though, because you know, you look at what the stars the Bengals, they continue to be stars. I mean Joe's twenty eight to fifty three and fifty six yards street touchdowns, Haigan's nine catches one hundred and forty eight yards and a touchdown forty two yards. Chase seven catches for seventy five, two touchdowns. I mean, the big the big guys stepped up and played. There's there's no no question about it. Brown has twenty two carries for eighty six yards, and he you know, he continued to you know, to make plays and you had he had receiving yards as well. I mean the game, the game that he had in the scrimmage yards fifty even receiving eighty six rushing. That dog will hunt. I mean, that'll that'll get it done. A lot of great and things again offensively in the second half in particular, but defensively, man, it's still a puzzle to me, still a quandary. They just can't seem to pull it together.
Speaker 1: They did in the second half. They stopped giving up big plays before the touchdown drive in the second half, punt, long field goal, punt, fumble, punt, punt, punt. They did a great job until that final four play eighty four yard drive that ended the game. Essentially.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true. I mean, you look at it. Last week. It was the first half, laid their tails off, give up what six points in the first half of the football game last week, and then this this week it's the second half. Well about trying to put four quarters together. It'd be great to have a four quarter football game, and there would do were some good signs too. I mean, you know, money Machimus is a field goal. The defense step up and they said, okay, we got your back, you know, they force upon the Bengals offense gets the football back and then there's another missed field goal. Unfortunately, but again the fact that that.
Speaker 3: They were just.
Speaker 4: Not going to quit, I mean, they were in it until until the bitter end. There's no there's no doubt about it. This football team's prideful, but they just can't make the play that they need to make the finish football games.
Speaker 1: Darren Simmons has said many times one of the reasons why he loves Eta McPherson is that his demeanor never changes. He's never too high, he's never too low. You wouldn't know it's a pressure kick. Well, he's missed six field goals now this year. Maybe the demeanor hasn't changed outwardly, but it's got to be in his head at this point, don't you think.
Speaker 4: It's got to be. And it seems like a high percentage of them are the same situation. It's like overcook hook. You know, it's like almost duck hook on one of them. So you know, you would think a kicker of his excellence and magnitude could make the necessary adjustment to strike it more straight instead of hooking the thing. But easier said than done. And it's not.
Speaker 8: To me.
Speaker 4: It doesn't look like the operations an issue. It really looks like that's handleable and manageable to make the kicks. It doesn't look bad to me. But I don't never kick the ball in my life, so I don't really I can't really say it, But to me, it just looked they were like they were overcooked a little bit. I think, you know, maybe for the first time he might be pressing a little bit. Like you said, his disposition has been so like, you know what does even have a heartbeat. It's flatline. But I think you know that. I guess maybe he's proven that he is human, and maybe he's pushing a little bit, trying too hard.
Speaker 1: We've said that for the defense to make a significant improvement in the the second half of the season, it's going to have to be young guys playing up to their potential. And I thought a couple of guys stepped up and showed me something tonight. Josh Newton made a lot of plays in the secondary, several pass deflections that was great to see, and he played a lot tonight. I thought it was a big game for his development. McKinley Jackson splashed a few times. Joseph Osi had a sack. So some of these guys that you need to show that they can be better players than they've been showed something in the second half tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree. And a guy that I think continues to play pretty darn good football is Cody Ford. You know, I mean, he's Unfortunately, Orlando Brown has never missed three games in a row in his life. I don't think at any level of high school, any level of football, high school, college, NFL, or he's probably too big for pee wee football. But I mean, he's never been in a situation like this, and hopefully after the bye week he'll be able to come back. And because I think he was having a career year. I thought he was playing an extremely high level. It's just unfortunately was interrupted by the injury that he's been dealing with here. But you know, to get him back would be this big a boost to the offensive line as getting T Higgins was to the receiving corps.
Speaker 1: They didn't score thirty three plus, but they scored twenty seven against the team that was giving up an average of thirteen. The offense continues to shine. It's a shame that they're four and seven. The way this offense is performing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it really is. I mean, you know, and I think Joe took fourteen quarterback hits tonight and last week thirteen twenty seven quarterback hits. I mean, he's going to worship that bye week. I mean, he needs he needs to be able to just get his body right. I'll tell you what. This guy is competitive with the capital C, tough with the capital T. I mean, you know, people say, oh, this guy's tough that Joe Burrow never says a word, never complains, never moans, never groans, continues to just play as tough a rano football as I've ever seen. Really at the quarterback position. He's up there with anybody and puts up big numbers to boot. I mean that guy is the real deal in every sense of the word. I mean he is. When you think football player, his picture's going to come flashing into your head pretty darn quickly.
Speaker 1: The teams that they were hoping would lose one and a game they felt they needed to win slipped through their fingertips. The math is not looking good. Unfortunately, after the buye.
Speaker 4: They're gonna have to win at least five. You know, maybe he's gonna have to run the table, but they're probably going to have to win fight. You gotta win nine games. You just got to. And it starts with Pittsburgh in Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh is playing at an incredibly high level football. I mean Tomlin, Mike Tomlin knows exactly what he's doing.
Speaker 3: This.
Speaker 4: This game reminded me, though, of a division game. I think. I think Harbaugh's teams are physical, They're in great shape, They're going to compete until the bitter end. Their feeling is that They're better conditioned and mentally tougher than everybody. And that's what the Pittsburgh Steelers have the same mindset. Baltimore Ravens have the same mindset. This game was like an AFC North game.
Speaker 3: To me.
Speaker 4: It really was.
Speaker 1: Get some sleep on the flight home.
Speaker 4: I'll try you do the same your schedule. I don't know how you do it, Dan Horde, I've been there. I know it ain't easy, man, and you continue to amaze me.
Speaker 1: That puts a rap on the Chargers game. Now it's time for this week's fun fact segment, where you get to know the person under the pads and stay tuned until the end of this one for a special treat. Time for some fun facts with defensive lineman Chris Jenkins. Your hometown is listed as only Maryland, which is close to Washington, DC. What's a kid do for fun? Growing up in only.
Speaker 9: Going on the metro that's like the biggest thing. You go on to Metro, go to d C. Virginia. There's a mall somewhere out in Virginia. I forgot what it's called, but it's a huge mall. We used to go to all the time, even though we ain't really had cash back then it was fun.
Speaker 1: So if somebody wants to visit DC, do you have all the monuments and everything?
Speaker 9: You know, downpack the monuments the museums like went to them like I don't know how many times I could count for school and and the crab cakes and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: That is ain't necessity, that's huge.
Speaker 1: We're visiting with Chris Jenkins. Your dad and your uncle both had long careers in the NFL. But I read an interview where your mom said she didn't like football, so she signed you up for everything but football? Was that the case? And what did you play?
Speaker 3: That was definitely the case? And I did? I know?
Speaker 9: I did swimming, baseball, and soccer competitively. I did a couple club activities at school at my little like kindergarten, first grade school, Charlotte Preparatory School or it did golf and tennis stuff and all that. I think badminton too, So trying to she really wanted to get me in as many as possible, except for football, just to see if I buy something I liked.
Speaker 1: Did you push back at some point and say, mom, I want to play football now?
Speaker 9: My pops did for me. You know, my Pops was like, you know what, now you got to experience football at least for one year, and then after that, if you want, you could quit.
Speaker 3: But fell in love with it after that.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's talk about Pops. Your dad, Chris Senior, was a gigantic three hundred and sixty pound nose tackle who is a four time Pro Bowler and played in the Super Bowl with Carolina. It's not necessarily easy to have the same name as somebody who accomplishes things like that. Was it challenging for you?
Speaker 9: Absolutely, especially being compared to someone like my pops and my uncle and constantly feeling the need to prove myself. You know, had to eventually figure out, you know, I'm not going to be the type of player they were, but I could still be the best version of myself. And that's where I try to stack every day and keep turning that into a possibility.
Speaker 1: Your high school coach says it first, he wasn't sure if you were going to be serious about football. You were a fun, happy, go lucky sort.
Speaker 9: Yep, yeah, that's mad accurate. I mean to this day still i'm goofy. I can't help it. I mean, that's just how I am, but you know it kind of as I got older, you know, my competitiveness really started to take shape, and you know, like my junior senior year kind of.
Speaker 3: Like college as well.
Speaker 9: You know, you could really see that jump and that progression really take for him and you know, bring that goofiness in the game, and you know it was fun.
Speaker 1: So, as we mentioned, you're from the DC area and your dad played at Maryland, but you chose Michigan.
Speaker 9: Why Michigan, Well, one, because my family is close by, So that's a huge thing. You know, all the rest of my family lived near the area, so great to be by them. And then absolutely with the academics and the athletics up there too. Really just you know, you kind of have that it feeling when you go up there, you see the school you want to go to. In the second I touched down there, I just I just knew right away that was gonna be it.
Speaker 1: We're visiting with Chris Jenkins. During your time there, Michigan had a famous strength and conditioning coach named Ben Herbert. He's with the Chargers now. One day, in a team meeting your sophomore year, he called you the mutant to the rest of the team for your feats of strength in the weight room. What did you think when he said that for the first time.
Speaker 9: I didn't expect it as at first because I was still trying to earn my stripes and I hadn't proved myself on the field yet, you know, so for him to say something someone who I have immense amount of respect and admiration towards, you know, it really meant a lot to me, and that inspired me to you know, I didn't see myself as a mutant at the time, but really to become that what coach saw to become that, so you know, that's that's my guy. Though Coach heard that's my guy.
Speaker 1: How quickly did the mutant nickname spread?
Speaker 3: Oh, it spread pretty quick.
Speaker 9: I mean from the first from the training room to the weight room, and then everybody started calling me that on the field. It kind of took it took shape. My teammates started being like, look at that, that's the music. So yeah, it just it just stuck.
Speaker 1: After that last year, you were a captain on an undefeated national championship team. Describe the emotion when the confetti is falling after you've won a national championship.
Speaker 9: It's an emotion like unlike any other I've experienced, even after one of my high school championship, because you just know all that work you put in, you know, all them video games and all them times watching the championship as a kid dreaming to be in that moment, and all the hard work you and your teammates did and the coaches did to pay that all. You know, you create such a tight knick connection and a family to get you to that point. So seeing that all come to fruition, you know you're gonna shut a tear for every piece of confetti, man.
Speaker 1: And you literally did. I saw a video of you on the field with tears in your eyes after that.
Speaker 9: Game because it didn't everything hit didn't hit until that moment, because you know, we still had a job to do. We still overcame a hurdle we haven't done in a while to get to that point. But you know the job wasn't finished until the clockhead zero, and the second it did, you know I couldn't hold it back no more.
Speaker 1: You won the title, so you obviously get a championship ring. But I've seen pictures of a box with four rings in it. What was the story?
Speaker 3: Well, with the four rings. I don't really know myself.
Speaker 9: I mean, I know it's two of them have something to do with the college football playoffs in the National Championship. One of them was the bowl game too, and then the Big Ten. Yeah, the Big Ten Championship game as well, I believe.
Speaker 1: So yeah, not bad, it's pretty good swag. You played in three games against Ohio State, you won all three. How would you describe your feelings for the buck Eyes now?
Speaker 9: Well, now, I mean there's a certain level level of respect, you know, especially having so many buck Eye teammates in here, but there's always going to be that rivalry whenever you see them play, you know, and that's why I can't wait for when we played them, you know, in a couple of weeks now, But you know, it's that same level of respect. But at the same time, you know, you still our arrival though, so we know what time it is.
Speaker 1: Once that WEEKNDS you were drafted in the second round, number forty nine overall. Was the draft stressful?
Speaker 9: Absolutely? It didn't hit me till that day. You know, my uncle told me it was going to be the most stressful moment in my life. You know, I didn't really see it happening until you know the phone the clock started, and you know, having my family there, you know I didn't pay attention to everyone. I had my phone ready to go, and I can't tell you I probably got five calls whenin that time that wasn't the call, so I was I was stressing out. But but yeah, nah, it was after that call, like, oh, it was the best feeling ever.
Speaker 1: People need to know. Don't call a guy the day he's likely to be drafted and make him think that it's the call.
Speaker 9: You'll never see me jump quicker or move faster than that. The whole room will shut down that they hear that phone ring, and if you like not false alarm, they're like ahn, yeah, but you know we we got that.
Speaker 3: We got that fixed out the way quick. So it was cool. All right.
Speaker 1: A few wild card topics. Now for Chris Jenkins. In high school, you apparently sang a solo in the choir. Do you remember it? And do you care to give us a sample?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 9: Now, I'm not gonna do a sample because I would I would not do myself justice. I ain't been practicing, but I think, honestly, I think you could find it on SoundCloud. My teacher was my music teacher stand spots with. He got a SoundCloud in the YouTube channel. I know a couple of our videos out there, but I think it was called Greatest Yell Mercy And yeah, we're practicing for that now. I ain't do too bad, but it wasn't it one of the best?
Speaker 1: All right? I'll be going down the internet rabbit hole after this to discover who is your all time favorite athlete in any sport?
Speaker 9: And why, Oh, it probably has to be between in any sport. Has to be probably Kobe because there was something just about between Kobe and d Rose, because there was something about when we kids, you know, de Rose was in his prime and Kobe was in his prime. You know, we watched the games all the time, and the second we step on the basketball court for recess, we always trying to pick which one who gonna be? Which one? So probably those two stuck with me the most.
Speaker 1: It's amazing to me how often the answer to that question is a basketball player as opposed to a football player. Why do you think that's the case.
Speaker 9: I think it's because if you know you about to be a football player, then you you kind of like fantasize if you were able to be a basketball player because I knew I didn't have that type of you know, hand eye coordination to do that. So, you know, it's always fun to think about, you know, what if I was like Kobe or something like that.
Speaker 1: So, Chris, you told me after the draft that you are a nerd with a comic book collection. Yes, what books do you collect?
Speaker 3: All types of Marvel books.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's really my main collection, given me for my grandfather.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's mainly Marvel books. A lot of them. Some of them I'm open.
Speaker 9: Some of them are open, but it's a lot of old time in nineteen seventies, I think, eighties, nineties.
Speaker 3: I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 1: You might be sitting on a gold mine.
Speaker 3: Yeah maybe, who knows.
Speaker 9: I mean they still from my grandpa, so they still his technically, So I ain't gonna do nothing with them if you don't want me to.
Speaker 3: I'm still going to reading.
Speaker 1: Your former college coach Jim Harbaugh said that you are the poster child for enthusiasm unknown to mankind, which is one of his favorite sayings. Are you naturally in a good mood?
Speaker 9: Absolutely? I mean not being surrounded by the people I am, and then living the dream, at the position I am, there's no reason for me not to be happy. So you know it's hard for me, you know, to catch me in a bad mood. But you know, I'm just grateful for you know, my blessings and for God.
Speaker 1: Do grumpy MOPy people annoy you?
Speaker 9: Nah, Nah, I understand. I mean, you never know what someone's going through. Maybe you catch them at a bad time, maybe they got a lot of stuff going on. So me, personally, I try my best to you know, be just be me, be goofy and try to hopefully cheer them up. Yeah, I mean, it is what it is, so Camplin all right.
Speaker 1: Final fun fact for Chris Jenkins. This one is kind of deep. If you could meet anybody in history, living or deceased, who would that person be?
Speaker 9: My great great grandma because I've heard so much about her. Actually I know I met her when I was two. I've seen photos. I don't remember it, but she was such a pillar in our family that I would just love to if I had the opportunity to have at least in conversation with her, that would be awesome.
Speaker 1: Chris, this has been great. Appreciate your time. Best of luck, the rest of the year.
Speaker 3: Absolutely appreciate you. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 1: So when I asked Chris about his solo in the high school choir, he said, I think you can find it on SoundCloud. My music teacher, Stan Spotswood has a channel. Well, Chris, thanks for the tip. The song is Great is Your Mercy, performed by the Good Counsel Choir featuring teenage soloist Chris Jenkins.
Speaker 7: E fit.
Speaker 2: Tools need.
Speaker 9: Always providing tools.
Speaker 5: Great is yourc too, Greed, it is your.
Speaker 10: Great that's going to do it for this episode of the Bengals Grooth podcast, brought to you by pay Core, Proud to be the Bengals official hr software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans.
Speaker 1: Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. If you haven't done so already, please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a minute, give it a rating or share a comment that helps more Bengals fans find us. I'm Dan Horde and thanks for listening to the Bengals Boot Podcast