Speaker 1: You do not solve all of your children's problems. That's the heart of love and logic. It's you want kids to make mistakes and you want them to pay the consequences so they learn.
Speaker 2: Before we jump into this episode, I'd like to invite you to join this community to hear more interviews that will help you become happier, healthier, and more healed. All I want you to do is click on the subscribe button. I love your support. It's incredible to see all your comments and we're just getting started. I can't wait to go on this journey with you. Thank you so much for subscribing. It means the world to me.
Speaker 1: The number one health and well Inness podcast.
Speaker 2: Jay Sheety Jay shetty N. Hey everyone, welcome back to on Purpose, the place you come to to become happier, healthier, and more healed. Today's guest is one of our most frequent guests, actually the most frequent guest of all time. He's one of your favorite I know that you love diving into the science. I know that you love diving into the brain, and today we're going to get to put that all together with raising young minds. If you have a child or you're about to have a child or thinking about it, This episode is for you. If you want to know what impacts us, what helps us become happier, healthier, and more healed through our childhood years, This episode is for you. And if you're wondering about your own health and how you got to where you are and how you can make shifts and changes, this episode is for you. Today I'm talking to doctor Daniel Aman, a former infantry medic physician, child and adult psychiatrist, and founder and CEO of Aiman Clinics, with eleven locations nationwide. Aiman Clinics has built the world's largest database of brain scans related to behavior, totaling more than two hundred and fifty thousand scans on patients from one hundred and fifty five countries. Doctor Amen has written twenty national best selling books, and doctor Aman's new book is titled Raising Mentally Strong Kids, How to combine the power of neuroscience with love and logic to grow confident, kind, responsible and resilient children and young adults. If you don't have this already, go and grab your copy right now. You're going to love this conversation. Welcome to on Purpose, Doctor Daniel Aiman, doctor Aman, it's great to have you back.
Speaker 1: Jay, what a joy. Thank you for helping me spread this message of brain health, brain healthy adults, brain healthy kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I've learned so much from you over the years, and I think anyone who goes back and listens to those episodes, there's so many great conversations, great insights. But I love that you're focusing on raising mentally strong kids because I know I get this question from our audience a lot. Now. Some of our audience are mothers and fathers, and some of them are thinking about it, and some of them may be years away, but I know that it's something that even I sit and think about. I talk about it with RADI what does it really take? And I think that it's so hard to know because there's so many theories. There's the way we were raised, there's the way our partner was raised. There's a million ways, and in the book you really break it down beautifully. And I wanted to ask you a couple of questions to get going. So the first thing I wanted to ask you about is that you talk about mentally strong kids live by clearly defined goals, and I was thinking about that as thinking how do you set a goal for a kid? And at what age does a goal become real?
Speaker 1: Well, the goal starts with parents. What kind of dad or mom do I want to be and what kind of children do I want to raise? So in raising mentally strong kids, I mean the first principle is you need to be mentally strong, right, you have to model the message and iman clinics are first core value is authenticity and what does that mean to be mentally strong? Well, the first principle is clarity? Is you want to know? So when I was growing up, my mom was great. She was present, but there were way too many of us. There was seven. Third means irrelevant, at least that's what I thought. You know Prince Harry's book spare Well, in a Lebanese family, the oldest son is golden and the second son's irrelevant. Now there's huge upside to irrelevance, which means I could do anything I want. But my mom was present and fun and playful and strict, all good qualities. My dad was gone. And so when I'm thinking about what kind of parent do I want to be, is I want to be present? Because that caused a lot of bitterness in my life, And if you read sort of the latest neuroscience on child bearing, attachment is so important to prevent mental illness or mental health problems. And so if I want to be present, then that leads to the second principle, which is bonding, which is connection and how do you connect? And too many parents get that wrong and like, oh, well, let me solve all of my child's problems, which creates entitlement and disaster. But the first one is what do you want? And I think is a great question for kids when they're six or seven? What do you want in our relationship? Like I treat a lot of difficult kids. And one of my favorite questions to parents, how many times out of ten when you ask this child to do something, will they do it the first time without arguing or fighting? And seven is the average for healthy kids. So very few kids do something every time, right, But for the kids who see me, it's zero or less than three. And when I ask the children about this, seven, eight, nine, I'm like, is that your goal to make your mother cry? I'm like no, I'm like, why do you do it? I don't know? And the fact is they don't know because it's not will driven it's brain driven, and that one concept all by itself. On top of which, if a child doesn't do what you ask them to do and you ignore it or you just repeat it, what you're doing is teaching them to do that, and the brain is lazy. So this is going to be a fun conversation.
Speaker 2: How about the people that would say that that may make children obedient, but it doesn't make them free thinkers, or it doesn't make them independently thoughtful. I think we sometimes feel like these two things work against each other, right, Like if we feel where like they listen to everything we say and they do what we say, then how do they build up their own sense of identity? How does that?
Speaker 1: Well, that's totally in the book on how to do that, and that is you do not solve all of your children's problems. That's the heart of love and logic. It's you want kids to make mistakes and you want them to pay the consequences so they learn agency. It's such an important word in lives. So I have six children, three of them are adopted. Chloe who's now twenty. She has a bit of a helion and argumentative, oppositional and I'm a child skiatrist and Chloe was two when Tana and I met, and I'm like, Tana, you've done second grade, but they would like go at it in a bad way for homework for like a couple of hours, and I'm like, and then Tana got a program. I co wrote the book with Charles Fay, who's president of the Love and Logic Institute, So she got parenting with Love and Logic and then took everything they ever created. One night, when it finally clicked that I've done second grade, she told Chloe she'd never again asked her to do her homework. She said, hey, I've done second grade. This is on you. And if you're okay with the constant quinces of not doing your homework, missus mankr teacher will be mad at you. You won't go out to recess. And if you really decide you're not going to do it, you'll make new friends when you repeat second grade. That was that epiphany moment. Chloe got upset and said, I never said I wasn't gonna do my homework. I'm just not going to do it now. She stormed off. Twenty minutes later, she came back. No one ever asked her to do her homework again. She's gonna graduate with a business degree from Javan University. She's bright, she's independent, she has agency. She's a hard worker and a free thinker. Because she couldn't push against her mother to solve her problems, she had to figure it out with of course appropriate support. And oh, by the way, to really push on this idea. If Chloe forgot her homework, there's no way her mother would bring it to school because then she'd only forget it once. Right, If she forgot her homework and we brought it to school, we'd always be bringing her homework to school. If it was cold out and she forgot to bring a sweater, nobody's bringing a sweater. She forgot her lunch, nobody's bringing her lunch. We're teaching her probably the most important skill of mentally strong people. I'm responsible for my life and if there are consequences, I'm going to pay it. And you so you want them to make mistakes when the consequences are affordable.
Speaker 2: What age is that? Is that at a particular age, you're always there a time when.
Speaker 1: Four five, six, you know, earlier the better, and of course you're always putting you know, think of bowling alley. You're putting bumper guards up to protect them. But when I was a young parent, I think my self esteem wasn't great, and I would get self esteem by solving my children's problems. And what I realized is I was robbing them of their self esteem, because where do we get self esteem. There's this great study out of Harvard where they followed four hundred and fifty four inner city Boston school kids for seventy years. I mean, think about that. I mean one of the longest longevity studies ever done. And they looked at what was going you know, with mental illness, with addiction, with self esteem, and the only thing that correlated with self esteem was whether or not you worked as a child, whether or not you had responsibility at home, you had a paper route, you had an outside job. When I was ten years old, I went to work because my dad owned grocery stores. And work is good. But for people who are affluent, who have helped home, and everything is done for the child, you're really setting the child up for struggles in their life because they won't develop a sense of agency.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting hearing that I've always felt that I started doing I was a paperboy when I was fourteen years old, and I remember going around the local streets and delivering the papers and it was raining, and it was you know, at some time of the year in England it would snow during the Christmas period and it was hardest because I'm pulling this like you know, this trolley we call it, I don't know what you'd call it here, but pulling this cart that has all the newspapers stacked in it. And then I worked in and then I worked in a grocery store, and then I worked in retail, and so I've been working ever since I was fourteen years old. And I couldn't agree with you more. I learned so many interesting skills, I developed so many amazing habits because you had to in order to do it. And that resonates so strongly with me. How do you get comfortable watching your child be uncomfortable? Because I can imagine that's the biggest challenge, right as a parent who loves, adores, cares for this child, doesn't want it to be cold, doesn't want the child to be late for school, doesn't want the child to perform poorly. Your ego is somewhat attached to the child's ego and success level. How do you get comfortable watching a child be uncomfortable in a non unemotional way and not in an insensitive way.
Speaker 1: Sorry, you have to have the big picture of mind and the long game in mind. What do I want? What kind of parent do I want to be? Effective? Present? What kind of child do I want to raise? Independent, competent? Strong? If I do too much, I'm robbing them of their self esteem, of their sense of responsibility and agency. And that's a disaster you just don't want, and you need to see it ahead of time. And that's why you know the first principles, Know what you want, and always ask your kids, So what's the goal for this year? What do you want? Right? It's not you're not telling them their goal. I mean an example, when I turned eighteen, it was the first time I could vote, and my dad told me if I voted for Senator McGovern the country would go to health. So in nineteen seventy two, Richard Nixon's running for reelection. He's a very popular president, even though it'll turn out to be a disaster against Senator mcgovernor. And I'm eighteen and I don't have a relationship with my dad. I mean, we're sort of mostly mad at each other. He's trying to have influence on me, but because we don't have a relationship, I just as soon piss him off right now. It wasn't my conscious thought, but I just as soon pens them off. And I voted for mc governor and the country went to hell. But it had nothing to do with mcgovernor. It was all nextcell on, water good, so on. But it was that lack of relationship. And if people do what I talk about in the book, you have more influence with them.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, it's J Shetty here and I couldn't be more excited to share this exciting news you asked. We delivered Juny sparkling tea with adaptogens made by my wife and I are now available in all Sprout locations across the country. Juni is the perfect midday pick me up. With only one third of the caffeine found in brood green tea, it provides a gentle energy boost without the crash. It only has five calories and zero grams of sugar, making it the perfect drink. Plus it's made with the delicious blend of adaptogens and neotropics. That may help boost your metabolism, combat stress, pack your body with antioxidants, and stimulate brain function. Head over to your local sprouts ovi is it sprouts dot com to find the closest location near you.
Speaker 1: And that leads to So the first principle is goal setting. The second one is bonding. It's attachment. If you want to have influence with your children, if you want them to seriously consider your values, you have to be connected with them.
Speaker 2: And what does that take?
Speaker 1: Time Like actual physical time where you're not on your phone, but you put the phone away and you spend twenty minutes a day with a child. So there's an exercise I talk about in the book that I love so much that you know all the things I've recommended to my patients over the last forty five years. When I decided to be a psychiatrist forty five years ago. Special time, it's magic and twenty minutes a day do something with your child. Child wants to do that's reasonable, you can do in twenty minutes. So it's like, not take me to Nordstroms. And during that time, no commands, no questions, no directions, It's just time to be together. And it's money in the relational bank. And I remember when I first figured this out. My literary agent had a child later in life. We were talking on the phone and he's like, my daughter, Laura doesn't want to have anything to do with me, and she's two, and he said, that's like a girl thing, right, a mother daughter thing. They don't want anything. I'm like, no, Carl, you're ignoring her. What what do you mean I'm ignoring I'm like, you're ignoring her. Do this and he said that won't work. I'm like, oh, great, you represent an idiot. My own literary agent won't do what I say. Do it. In fact, I'm going to put you in my schedule for three weeks. I'm going to call you get the party started. And so three weeks go by, I call them up. Carl Daniel. She won't leave me alone. As soon as I walk in the door, she grabs my leg and wants her time. All she wants to do is be with me. I'm like, that's a problem. That's what we want, right, that's what we're after. So actual physical time. And now parents are so busy they're not spending this one on one alone time listening. So that's the second part of it. So time, actual physical time, and shut up. It's so important. You love them so much you want to pour all of your knowledge, all of your wisdom that you worked your whole life on and downloaded into their head. Don't do that. Listen to them, and therapists learn this technique called act of listening that whenever someone says something, you don't interrupt and tell them how to think. You repeat it back, and you listen for the feelings behind the words. So if my son came home and said, Dad, I want to have blue hair, I don't know what your father would have said, but I know what mine would have said. No, when el, as long as you live in this house, so you can have blue hair. But what does that do? It just stops the conversation or it starts a fight. Active listening teaches you repeat back what you hear, oh, you want to have blue hair, and then be quiet long enough for them to explain what's really going on. And he might say all the kids are wearing their hair blue. Now I've been to his school, I know not everybody's blue headed. And if I would have said that to my dad, I don't know what your dad would have said, I don't care what anybody else is doing. As long as you live in this house, you're not gonna have blue hair. If they're going to jump off a bridge or you going with.
Speaker 2: Them that you I've had that plenty of guys, And what does it do?
Speaker 1: Stops the conversation or it starts a fight. Sounds like you want to be like the other kids. Completely different conversation. But that's and he might say, Dad, you know, sometimes I feel like I don't fit in. Now, my mother would have said, what do you mean you don't fit in? Of course you fit in. You're a good boy, you're a good looking boy, you're a nice boy. And that's not helpful either. What's as helpful as so sometimes you feel like you don't fit in? And then give it a breath. So they're the one solving their problem. Now at the end of half an hour, he says, I still want to have blue hair. I'm gonna tell them, no way in hell, as long as you live my house, because it's not cool to look weird. I mean, if you look weird, you're going to hang out with weird people, right. It's o to have boundaries around behavior. Some parents they have like no boundaries, and I think some boundaries are appropriate.
Speaker 2: What does no boundaries lead to, like from a neuroscience and from a study perspective of what is what happens.
Speaker 1: If you at least to mental health problems? So there's this great study out of the University of Oregon. We looked at ten thousand families and they looked at parenting along two dimensions. Parents who were firm versus permissive and then hostile versus loving. And if you take those two dimensions, you end up with four types of parents permissive and hostile, permissive and firm, loving and permissive loving infirm. And they looked at what were the con sequences or the outcome of each parenting style. Do you have a sense what would be worse? What would be the worst one that creates the most trouble?
Speaker 2: You would think that it's hostile and permissive.
Speaker 1: Hostile and permissive the worst. What do you think is the second worst? Loving Impomis it loving and permissive? Shocking? Because children need boundaries and the loving and permissive ones had more mental health challenges than the hostile and firm. Now that's not helpful, right, that creates anxiety, But children need boundaries. Often say God gave us parents until our frontal lobes developed, right the front third of the brain, the most human part of the brain focus for judgment, impulse control, and that's why you need parents to help behind you. And one of the big mistakes we make as a society is we abdicate parenting before their frontal lobes are developed. So I'm like, not a big fan of sending children away to college because you're going to take their undeveloped prefrontal cortex and put them in a dorm with a whole bunch of other undeveloped prefrontal courtesies. Bad idea. And you know, I'd learned this as a child. Psychiatrists send kids away to school, the incident's anxiety goes up, depression goes up, suicide goes up, addiction goes up, and it's not a good thing.
Speaker 2: How were you able to go get around that with your kids going to college as well? Well?
Speaker 1: I mean, one of my daughters wanted to go to the University of Virginia, So always across the other time, I'm like, no, you have to go to somewhere I can drive to see you in three hours.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow, So yeah, that's it's really interesting this limits and rules building mental fortitude that you talk about, because it's hard to know, I think as a parent, and it comes back to the earlier point that you were saying that we're just dealing with so much ourselves. Like people are busy, they're stressed, they are on their phone, just trying to decompress after a long day. And what I liked about what you said was twenty minutes of no questions, no commands, and no directions. That I think is really powerful and a special takeaway for people because it may be really hard to give quality time. But I love the definition of quality time becoming no directions, no commands, and no questions, because it seems like that's what our relationship becomes about with children. And what do all of those do If your relationship is just giving the kids commands, directions, questions, what ends up happening to the relationship?
Speaker 1: They shut down and if you're just in their space, and you know, as a child psychiatrist, you know, I've seen thousands of children over the years, and often parents go, he won't talk to you, he doesn't want to be here, he won't talk to you. I go, yeah, it's really hard to be me and I just sit there and I'll play games with them. But while I'm playing a game with them, in a game they choose, they chat. You know, they talk about what's going on in their dreams, what goes on at home, what goes on.
Speaker 2: What game would you play with them?
Speaker 1: I mean, we'll play cards, we'll play shoots and ladders, we'll play Monopoly, We'll play all sorts of different games. And one of my favorite games is the storytelling game where all they'll start a story and all they'll have a sentence, all of a sentence, all of a sentence, and you really get to see how their minds work.
Speaker 2: Why does that work? Why is that a great interaction point that allows them to open up?
Speaker 1: Because kids, if you just say tell me your problem, they'll have no idea and they'll freeze. If you play a game with them, or you go for a walk with them, then they begin to open up if they know you'll listen. And we just were in a society that's talking over each other. Parents are anxious and they want to solve things, and they talk too much. So if I can get people to use less words and be more present, it's gold for them.
Speaker 2: How do you know if a child is becoming more mentally strong or more mentally weak as you're practicing some of these methods, What do you notice? What are the habits or the core traits of a mentally strong child and a mentally weak child.
Speaker 1: So mentally strong kids don't believe everything they think. This is so important before another episodees, we've talked about killing the ants, the automatic negative thoughts. Actually have a child's book called Captain Snout and the Superpower Questions. I wrote specifically to teach kids to question their automatic thoughts. And so a vulnerable child, so maybe wouldn't say mentally weak, which to say vulnerable is you notice they have stinking thinking that they mind read, they fortune tell. They focus on what's wrong rather than on what's right. A strong child still have those thoughts, but they'll question them. They just won't attach to what I call the different kinds of ants. And blame is like the worst an you know, it's you blame other people for your life. You become a victim and you become powerless. What is it I can do today to solve this problem? And that's the essence of the book, along with love and logic, What is it I can do today to solve this problem?
Speaker 2: Obviously none of us are perfect, and I think every parent is already judging themselves in how they are a parent. I think a lot of people carry that weight around and they carry that stress around. If I'm not a good parent, I wish I could have handled that bad I shouldn't have said that. I should have said that. What's a healthy way to repair a mistake you've made? Maybe you've said something you were should in, say you did something you shouldn't have done, and you've done it a few times. What's a healthy way to repair that bond?
Speaker 1: Well, there's a guilt cycle that people get into. They overreact and then they feel bad about it. So they don't react and they let bad behavior go, and they let it go and they let it go, and then they can't stand it and then they explode and then they feel guilty, and so they don't react and they don't react, and then they don't react and then they overreact. And so the trick is when there's behavior you don't like, deal with it as opposed to let it go. It's like, deal with it in the moment, and you're going to make mistakes. Lord knows, I've made lots of mistakes, but every day I win or I learn. Right. I'm working with an Olympic athlete that I just love so much, Alicia Newman. She's a Canadian record holder for pole vaulting and it's just such a mess when I saw her, she did my show Scam my Brain. And now she's so mentally strong because every tournament she wins or she learns. And as a parent, that's the mindset is, you know, we had a really great day, And when you don't have a great day, why didn't we have a great day? And you think about it in the book, there's all sorts of brain reasons why you didn't have a great day. You didn't sleep, you went too long without food. There's the time chain, you know that has more bad days just because you know, as a society we become jet lagged all the ones. So if you can just be curious rather than being furious, it helps you so much. So if we have a really great day, it's like, okay, why did that happen? And just be thoughtful. And the default is always firm and kind, and the softer you voice, the more they pay attention to it. If you're screaming, they tune you out and they get mad.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting as I'm listening to im thinking, as you gave in the example of the Olympic athlete, we need this for ourselves right now at this age because our child self didn't probably get this kind of parenting or wasn't exposed to this. And so even that statement you just said that I either win or I learn, I think that's a habby that any of us listening to this right now need to develop, because I think just as we're harsher on children or harsher on someone else, it comes from a fact that we're harsh on ourselves. Like there's this inner critic and this inner voice that breeds negativity, and as you said, the guilt cycle that continues. It seems that that then becomes the externalized version is how we treat the kids, and then again we feel guilty for doing that because we know it's wrong. When you're trying to become mentally strong yourself, but you feel like you don't have time. Your kids need dinner cooked, you need to do their homework with them, Like I feel like there's a massive loss of time balance the ability to cater to this. What do people do when they're like, Jay, I'm just surviving, Like I'm just putting food on the table with just about even surviving for myself to be able to switch on the TV in the evening after the kids are asleep, like I get no time for myself. How do we balance that time.
Speaker 1: That's why special time is not two hours with the child. It's doable, your plan, the law game. And too often parents love their children so much. It's we're going to do soccer and we're going to do dance, and we're going to do music and we're going to and it's like stop that. You need time to spend with each other. And you're like, well, but I have to do my homework with the children. It's like, please don't. That's not what the schools want you to do. They want the children to do the homework and if they don't do it, let the kids pay the consequences. But then what parents do is they get into this fortune telling thing. It's like, well then they won't get into the best preschool, and they won't get into the best school, and they won't go to Harvard, and their life will be terrible and like I went to a junior college, a community college. I'm actually in the Hall of Fame at Orange Coros College. I actually think many people. Mark Cuban actually said that it's like those people should go to a community college because it's such a low cost and it's the same education. Right, But people have this idea of prestige is attached to myself esteem, and prestige is a French word comes from a French word for deceit. Right that I mean, I went to a community college. My life's just awesome because I work hard. Right, And ultimately another point, you never want to tell a child they're smart. I mean, parents get so proud of yourself smart. Don't ever do that. Go you work hard, because if you tell them they're smart and they can't learn something, their self esteem drops. If you go, I really like how hard you're working, and they come up with something hard, they work harder. And you also teach kids because mentally strong people ask questions. Then too often it's like I want to ask questions, so I don't want to appear dumb. It's like, mentally strong people they ask questions. And so when I was in elementary squad, and never ask her question. And then I realized because I was in the army and I took three years between high school and college and I was able to grow up, and I'm like, oh, you have to ask questions, right. I learned that in the army, if you ask a question, somebody says no, ask somebody else because they're more likely to say yes. Right. So I learned that don't just accept no. But in school it's like, oh, let me ask questions. But I don't understand something. Odds are people don't understand those? One?
Speaker 2: What are some of those other statements that parents say to kids that they think they're saying the right thing, but they end up backfiring because they make it harder for the child to live up to that. What are some of those other statements?
Speaker 1: It'll be okay, like or I'll take care of it for you. They're having problems with another child at school, they immediately in the principal's office. They're not listening to the child and going, so, how do you think you can handle that? Or what did they go? And they fix it and that's that to their self esteem. Now, of course, if it's dangerous or bullying or abuse, you have to step in and take care of it. But for the day to day stuff, how do you think you can solve this as opposed to well, I had that problem when you were when I was your age, and this is what I did, and this is what you should do. Don't do that because it steals their self esteem, it steals their agency. What is it you can do? I'm rooting for you rather than well, that's a dumb decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I know I'm rooting for you. That's so huge in our friendships, it's so huge in marriage, it's it's huge with kids. I think it's so easy to just say this is what I did, this is what you should do, this is the right way to do it. This is easy. And we think we're basically doing a shortcut because we're not listening, we're not actually bonding, we're not connecting, and we're trying to jump to a conclusion that hopefully we think solves the issue. And a lot of this comes back to what we both mentioned in this conversation is that there's this subconscious ego attachment to the child succeeding as being a reflection of our self esteem, our self worth. Our self esteem gets wrapped up in our child's self worth and self esteem, and now you know, subconsciously we're living our dreams through them. That's not as basically as saying I want my kid to be a doctor because I am. But there's other more subtle versions of that. How do people disconnect from that ego? Because it seems to be so subtle and so hidden, but it's there, and I think everyone notices it with their parents when their parents are acting in that way, but almost when we become parents, we we're completely oblivious to that ego.
Speaker 1: And it's so important. It's often so toxic if someone is living an unrealized life that they pour a lot of it into their child, and it makes these kids miserable, and it doesn't give them a sense of agency. It constrains them, and they often rebel against it as opposed to what do you want to do? It'll make you a good living, so I don't have to support you. And I love my six children, but I never want to have to live with them, right, So I want to create competent people who can care for themselves. It's like, oh, go live your dream, whether or not you can take care of yourself and that's going to set them up to be miserable. If you're dependent on someone else, you're miserable. Entitled people are never happy. Another thing is and I posted this on TikTok and a guy like seven million views hallmark of mental strength. I don't do things for people who do not treat me with respect. WHOA. So you know your child misbehaves, you love them so much, it doesn't matter you you know, give them everything they want anyways, death. I don't do nice things for people who I feel don't treat me with respect. That doesn't mean you don't feed them. Of course you feed them, but you're not taking them to the store, and you're not doing nice things for them. I mean you need to teach them their consequences. So the third part, so it's goal setting bonding so much there and so many mental illnesses are attached to attachments that become broken.
Speaker 2: Could you woke us through this?
Speaker 1: So? John Bowlby's sort of the famous attachment psychologist, and he said that if we're not connected to our moms or dads, it puts us a great risk for mental health problems. And he's absolutely right. And often the break in the bond between your mother or your father, or it can be any primary care ticker. Caretaker creates this rage inside of you, and then you feel guilt about the rage, and so you attack yourself. And you know, many people who live with this negative chatter in their head, and it's often that specific dynamic that they're furious at their mother, their father, you know, perhaps a divorce happened when there were four or five, or they had a sibling die when they were for something happen. They get really angry, but that's not appropriate because these are the people that feed me so rage, guilt about the rage, and then self attack and they live with that their whole lives. I can't tell you the number of people. And when you're four or five or six, you think of yourself at the center of the world, and so if something good happens, you sort of think it's because of you. If something bad happens, you think it's because of you, and you end up with this chronic sense of being bad. And there's a specific type of therapy I like, it's called intensive short term dynamic psychotherapy, and it's often getting too the feelings underneath and rage and attachment and guilt about the rage are often a significant pace. He said.
Speaker 2: It sometimes it's hard because I feel like a lot of people maybe feeling like, you know, I don't understand my child, like they're angry, they're upset, they you know, they kind of want to disconnect. What do you do in that situation? Where do you start?
Speaker 1: Well? I think you first start with the simple things. Time and look at what they're eating, because that matters. I have one patient who would go in a rage whenever he got red dye and people go red dye, yeah, red dye number forty and.
Speaker 2: Like every sweet and candy.
Speaker 1: To think of red vines, yeah, and it's even in coughs orp for children or hard candies red dye number forty. And he would go in a rage. And when they would take away red dye, fine, but sometimes you get it accidentally and head rage. And so I actually scanned him, you know, that's what I do. I look at people's brains, and so we scanned him no red dye for a month and his brain was healthy. We gave him red vines that have red dye number forty in it, and his brain went like it exploded, that dramatic hyperactivity in his brain. And so if you're really struggling with your child, and you use the principles doctor Fay and I talk about in this book, and you're still struggling, is probably a good idea to get him assessed. And on average it's years between the time a child first has his symptom anxiety depression OCD ADD between they have a symptom and they get assessed. And so many bright people go and never give my kids drugs. And it's like, he is diabetic, you give them drugs. If you had heart disease, you give them drugs. It's like, and I'm not advocating drugs, right. I mean, I own a supplement company, but I'm not opposed. If I do all the things I know how to do, then I use medicine to do it. People like don't really see the brain as an organ, right, they have to get the progression your brain, physical function of your brain creates your mind. And if your brain's not right, your mind's not right. And so what are all the ways that a mind can be troubled? Right? So if you have a child that's not sleeping, that has nightmares, that has tantrums that won't go away, they don't socially connect. They're obsessive. It's like, at some point you have to go what's going on in their brain? And there's a whole section in the book on brain hell four kids. Of course you got to model it as a parent, but what you feed them matters. How much sleep they get matters. I have another really fun book called Time for Bed, Sleepyhead, which is a hypnotic bedtime story for children. I actually used to do it with my daughter Brian when she was three. I did from three until eight. She loved the story so much. And think of your kids in four big circles. They have a biology, so we talked about their brain, they have a psychology, how they think, they have a social circle, what their environment like. And there's a spiritual circle, which both child Skyatrists wouldn't touch. But it's sort of like why do you care? You know? Why do you think you're on the planet? What's your sense of meaning and purpose? Because purposeful people are happier. Purposeful people What am I on purpose?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: They live longer, And so nurturing those four circles so important for the kids.
Speaker 2: Is what does loving discipline look like? Because I think it's it sounds good like we were all like, yeah, I would love to be disciplined, but I'd love to be loving. And often we don't even figure out what that means in the workplace, let alone with kids. We're either loving or disciplined, but we're not.
Speaker 1: I think it should be both. What does it look like, Well, you know, we haven't gotten to rules. I think families should have them. Anxiety has rules, so like tell the truth, So do it, mom and dad say the first time. I love that rule because you know your chance of abusing the child. If you tell a child to do something five times, your chance of abusing that child just went up significantly. And so if you have the expectation they'll do things the first time, it's like, Caitlin, you know I want you to take out the trash, like in the next half hour, and if she doesn't, it's like, sweetheart, you have a choice. You can take it out now. We can have this consequence and then you can take it out. I don't care, it's up to you. And I love that part of not being attached to it. I love her, I'm really clear, and she's getting that consequence if she doesn't move, like stop threatening them and then not following through because you teach them that you have to tell them and get angry and be a bit crazy in order for them to do what she asked them to do.
Speaker 2: And I like the rules and rhythms and routines. I remember in my home after dinner, me and my sister were clean up and we had a little rotor of who washed up that day and who cleaned the table that day. It's just something that went around every day. We take it in tens and my sister was four years younger than me, and we just do it together and it became this thing that we just did, and it became natural. It became a habit, and it made us accountable and responsible to each other as well as well as our parents. And it was a really neat way of kind of giving us that rules. And you know, I think sometimes we think of rules as like strict rules and guidelines, but actually it can be just a rhythm and a routine and.
Speaker 1: Building competence and skill and you're part of the family rather than you're entitled to live in that family.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the earlier you start, the better it is. For kids. I mean, it's it's hard if you not spend any time with children. By the time they're fourteen, their friends are more important than you are. And that's the heartbreaking thing I've learned is if you're not spending time with them, their friends will take your place, and they may not have the advice, they may not have the right ear for you, and it makes them more vulnerable to all the scary stuff that's on social media.
Speaker 2: Well, I was going to ask you about that. I think a lot of challenges that parents have today are my child is addicted to social media. They're addicted to their phone. Forget spending time with them. I can't even get them to look up and make eye contact. What have you seen? What have you experienced?
Speaker 1: All section on technology, Yes, is you can have technology, and I recommend you delay it as long as humanly possible because it's not in their best interest. But you can have technology as long as it's not creating a problem in the family. And if we're not connecting, that's a problem in the family. If you're at dinner now, you can't be on your phone all dinner and tell your child that can't be on theirs, right, So probably everybody should put their phones away so you can connect. Right. Modeling mentally strong parents ultimately raised mentally strong kids. But the problem with social media and you're on social media, I'm on social media. It creates the toxic level of self absorption. You know, who's looking at me? Who am I looking at? Who's following me? And self absorbed people are never never happy.
Speaker 2: But that's become such a challenge now right that it's it's the thing everyone's addicted to. It's the thing everyone wants. It's like you said, parents are on their phones. They're not going to stop straight away. What do you see being the silver lining or the light and at the end of a tunnel that's going to have that breakthrough with a child, Like what do you think that would be?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I'd go back to delay it as long as you can, even you know, if the child's like everybody's doing it, because everybody's not doing it, but it's like, I love you so much, I'm going to protect you. All the studies, all of them say that it makes kids more vulnerable to bad things. And then when it's.
Speaker 2: Doing to our brain, what social media doing to our brain?
Speaker 1: Well addicting. Man. There's a book I love called Thrilled to Death. It's continually pressing on your nucleus cuccumbence that produces dopamine, continually pressing on the pleasure centers in your brain. But the problem with that is the more you press on them, they begin to become numb. And you need more and more excitement, more and more stimulation in order to feel anything at all. And you know, I see it with the wonderful famous people I've been even blessed to see. I see it in kids who are I mean, they're actually programs sent And I've sent a number of kids away to video game internet addiction program and when they get away from it, they become sweet again. I had one kid who parents took away video games. He broke up all the furniture in his room, and I'm like, needs a program. What we decided to do? Take away all the gadgets? Good? And I scanned him a month later, and then I scanned him while he was playing one of the violent video games he was addicted to, and it deactivated his frontal lobes and his left temper lobe, which is an area is often involved in violence. Like not a good thing?
Speaker 2: What what about parents that are you know, parents that are going through a divorce, going through a difficult time. What's the healthiest way to communicate that to a child. I know couples that are staying together for the children. They don't want to get divorced, even though they don't have a healthy relationship. I know others who had the divorce, but they're so scared about how that impacts the child. What have you seen through the neuroscience and research around when you're staying together or break So it's not good.
Speaker 1: Divorce is not good for the child, But staying in a chronically unhappy, conflicted, negative relationship is worse. So neither is good. I often say to the people I see, the best thing you can do for your child is love your spouse. The best thing you can model a healthy relationship. But you know, there's no education in school on how to have a healthy relationship, right, so there should be that would be helpful. When you go through a divorce, be really careful not to talk bad about the other person, because that child is half you and half them. If you're talking bad about their mother, they feel bad about themselves plause it increases cortisol in their body and makes it much more likely to be sick. So bad thing often if you're going to get divorced, go to counseling together and figure out how we are going to parent together. Raising mentally strong kids is great, Like, we're going to parent this way. You know, we have goals, we have time together, we have rules. One thing we didn't talk about yet is notice what you like more than what you don't. Right, there's my whole Penguin story is in there, which I think I'll probably here before, but I'd love that notice what you like every day. You're shaping your child by what you notice. You're shaping your partner, you're shaping your employees, you're shaping everybody by what you pay attention to. And so notice what you like more than what you don't, and that really solidifies the kind part of effective parent.
Speaker 2: I've also been thinking a lot about I was sharing with some families over last week when I was doing some events. This idea around how mindfulness and meditation can look very different for children, and so I don't think all kids need to be forced to sit in one place and close their eyes. I also think that mindfulness can be an activity of Hey, when you're outside today, see if you can find as many red things as possible. When you go outdoor today, come back and give me a list of things that you found that were read or can you find as many leaves that look like stars or any stones that look like stars today when you're out and about. And I think mindfulness can actually become alive when we're actually living it and breathing it when they're out and about as opposed to this feeling of kids need to learn it in a set and way. What have you seen with.
Speaker 1: Well and they don't sit well?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, exactly, that's what.
Speaker 1: It doesn't mean they have ADHD. It may mean their nervous system isn't fully milinated. Right, it's not fully milind for people that don't know what that means. When you're born, you actually don't have much myelin in your brain. As we develop, our neurons get wrapped with a white, fatty substance called myelin, and a milinated neuron works ten to one hundred times faster than an unmilinated one, and are when we're two months old, our occipital lobes in the back vision become milinated. And so when you look at a baby and smile, they smile back. They don't do it as newborns, because their visual cortex is in working fast and then slowly. Myelination goes from the back and comes to the front when finishes about when we're twenty five and so, expecting the child to act like an adult, bad bad, But you can teach them self soothing techniques from the age of four. I think, take a big breath, really slow, slow as you can, breathe it out as slow as you can, and that'll come when they get anxious. So you know, yeah, what.
Speaker 2: I'm hearing from you today, it's really helping them develop the tools that they're going to need long term, the challenges. We need to know what those tools are ourselves, do them for us them for ourselves to really believe in them, because otherwise we, like you said, we rush to solve their problems. We try and make up for their losses. They never get to become independent, resilient individuals. And talk to us about where love fits into all of this, like what does love look like with your child? Beyond time and beyond certain things you've said today, What does love really look like? What does love mean? Because I think when you think about what parents ultimately want, they want to be loving parents. That's what everyone wants to do. They want to love their child, but love overcomes is overcompensating. Love often translates as oversolving, overfixing, overdoing, and overwhelming and forcing them to be overachievers. And so even though we love them, we end up doing all these things that cause them pain.
Speaker 1: So love is when you want to bring their homework to school, it's not because you love them and you want the best for them, which is becoming mentally strong. That's love. Love is putting away your phone and spending time with them. Love is when they go and when they're ten and go, oh, my friends have a phone. What if a school shooter comes and I can't get a hold of you. Children are manipulative, quite frankly, all of us are manipulative, and it's like, you know, they're just too many risks with that. That's love is setting boundaries in a kind, consistent way. And ultimately love is you developing these tools so you can be firm and kind at the same time.
Speaker 2: Beautiful doctor Daniel Lahman. Everyone in the book is called raising Mentally Strong Kids. How to combine the power of neuroscience with love and logic to grow confident, kind, responsible, and resilient children and young adults. If you don't have a copy already, go and grab yours right now. Doctor Dane Laman, what a gift to talk to you again about this subject. Like we've said, you've had come on many many times, first time that we've really doven into kids and raising them. And I'm so grateful that you put this book together for everyone else to read and share. And I hope that parents will develop book clubs around it, communities around it, because I think there's conversation of raising mentally strong kids needs to be at the center of our schools, our homes, our families because it's going to set them up and set our society and world up for so much success. So thank you so much for doing this. Honestly, thank you, my friend, thank you. If you love this episode, you'll love my interview with Dr Gabor Matte on understanding your trauma and how to heal emotional wounds to start moving on from the past.
Speaker 1: Everything in nature goes only where it's vulnerable. So a tree doesn't go over it's hard and thick, does it. It goes where it's soft and green and vulnerable.