Speaker 1: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe and each week my guests and I have conversations that put a new spin on pretty. This is pretty smart. Hello. I hope you are having a beautiful week. I am coming off a quick trip to Las Vegas. I went to Complex Con for all of three hours, I would say, and I love seeing the booths there. I was actually never a live events person. I don't like crowds. You guys probably know that about me. But I do like to see what's going on and what's part of the zeitgeist. And I love seeing creatives and creativity and just like what's possible. When I see other people create booths or art or clothing, or create anything, really, I get so inspired for my own sake, like my own creativity. I've actually felt the last few weeks. I don't know if you ever get this, but I've felt tired, and not at my Midwest accent.
Speaker 2: Came out tired.
Speaker 1: Not tired in a way that like that I could sleep off, really tired in a way that my body was just saying slow down. It happens to me every so often. I don't know if it's my hormones or if it's the time of year, or just my body telling me something. But I had about three or four weeks of just needing extra sleep, and in that I wasn't really creating as much. And after this weekend, I feel recharged and inspired again, like the ideas are flowing. I'm getting excited for what's to come. So I don't know if you ever feel like you are in a rut, but sometimes I feel like that time. It's not a rut, it's not a waste. It's actually really important to just let your mind and your body take a moment. What else is going on? Oh? You know how on the Pod a few weeks ago, I said I was going to New York for two celebrity interviews. Well, I actually ended up canceling the trip, which it was quite a bummer. Felt like I got some of my money back, but not all of it. I canceled the trip because one of the guests, the probably like the most notable name, canceled and it really got me. I was so mad about it because I had put so much time and energy into scheduling this trip, you know, like I do the pod independently, so when I do the interviews in person, I'm booking a studio location and the camera people and audio and hair and makeup, like it's a whole production that I'm putting together. And so I felt like I had wasted other people's time too, which was a bummer. But it got me thinking about disappointment because it has this way of arriving unannounced, and when one of the interviews canceled, not only did it leave a gap where I had expected a story and connection and you know, kind of messed up the podcast schedule. The initial sting felt like rejection, and it made me question whether I had misjudged the importance of the opportunity and my own worth to be honest, was the pod not great enough for them? Was it not big enough? You know, all those things. But then I remembered one of the most enduring lessons from the four agreements. Never take things personally. You never know what's going on in people's lives. And I think if we can view disappointment through that lens, it becomes less of an affront and more of a redirection. But I was left with this question, when do we stand firm and when do we soften? And choose kindness over indignation. It feels like a delicate tension because on one hand, sometimes you need to hold your ground and it honors your time and your value, and it says I matter, don't mess with me, you know. And on the other hand, extending grace is of ultimate importance. It acknowledges the humanity of the other person and often the unseen messes and struggles that may have shaped their decision. I've found one of the greatest lessons of doing this podcast and booking Guess is that the truth is you rarely know what's going on with people behind the scenes, and I think leading with kindness doesn't mean that you let go of your boundaries. It just means that you acknowledge that both you and they are navigating a world full of complex I've stood my ground before via email, and I don't necessarily regret it, but I don't know that it was me showing up as my best self. And when I've led with kindness, I've never looked back and regretted it. So that's what's been on my mind this week. I hope you're having a really great week, whether it's rest that you're craving or adventure or organization. As we're sort of leading up to the holiday season. I hope that you're getting what you're craving, and if you're not getting it, go get it. Go find a way to carve it out for yourself, because you really deserve it, and no one's going to give it to you but you. Okay, that was a complete tangent from our episode today, so I'm going to jump in. There's an old advertising strategy called shrinket and pink it, and the idea was simple, take a product made for men, make it smaller, slap on the color pink or maybe even purple, and that's how you market it towards women. This is so baffling when you consider that women control seventy to eighty percent of consumer spending. We influence thirty one trillion dollars globally trillion, okay trillion. Yet we've just been buying pink versions of guy's stuff across the board almost and athletic shoes stand out to me is a huge one. So today we're going to hear more of the why behind some of the pinke it and shrinket that comes to my mind, athletic shoes stand out to me as a huge one. But some of the other items that come to my mind are sporting equipment, safety gear. Historically that's just been adapted for women by downside it, by downsizing male designs, often resulting in ill fitting and less functional products. Can you believe that they test airbags on mail test dummies? Air bags are not made for women. I constantly think about the conveyor belts at security when I'm at the airport. They're made for It's called like the Golden Rule, which is basically a six foot one mail. That's how they're made. That's how most parks are designed for the six foot What's how kitchens and bathrooms are designed. Have you ever been to a countertop, like gone to a hotel or something and been like, why why can't I reach this? Or why is this so high? Or why does this not fit me? Most of the time it's because it's made and design for a six foot one mail. But I digress. We're going back to shrink it and pink it. Almost all outdoor gear is made for men. Some electronics like laptops, definitely, most tools, razors, and I have to tell you the two that have really bugged me or affected me personally are bicycles and backpacks because I love to bike, and every backpack that I've ever used that's designed by men, which is why I love Dignu Dover so much, just lacks the comfort and utility that comes along with making a smaller version of a man's product for women instead of making one based on the female body. Now you've probably heard the famous phrase Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in heels. It's used to highlight how women often do the same things as men, gracefully, but with extra challenges. And today we're not necessarily talking about heels, we are talking about athletic shoes. It turns out we haven't just been living in a man's world. We've been walking in it too, And as someone who's dealt with my fair share of foot issues, it's wild to think that the very foundation of our movement, our feet are often supported by products that don't even consider our anatomy. Our feet do everything for us. They carry us through workouts, commutes, even dance floors. They keep us steady on our path literally and metaphorically. You know, in Chinese medicine, they're seen as the foundation of the body in the gateway to overall health. I really love reflexology, and I've heard certain people refer to the feet as the roots of our body, kind of like how a tree's roots support its growth and stability. Poor foot health is thought to disrupt the flow of chi and impact the entire body. So why are our feet so overlooked? Why are women's feet and, by extension, our health and longevity in afterthought? Joining us today is Lindsay Housman, a self proclaimed recreational athlete and runner who's discovered this the hard way. After constant foot issues, she realized the problem. Athletic shoes were not designed for women's feet or bodies, just smaller versions of men's and sometimes in pink. Well that didn't sit right with Lindsay, and it led her to found Headahs, a running shoe brand designed specifically for women. It's been an uphill battle, but her startup is turning heads with big brands taking notice. Society made something as basic as female athletic shoes harder than it really should be. But I think Lindsay's showing the world that she can change the game gracefully. In today's conversation, Lindsay's going to break down how the footwear industry got here, the changes that she's making with heads, and what it means to design with women's physiology in mind, and if we zoom out of it. The big question that I think we're answering today is what happens when women demand better and create it for themselves. Lindsay, welcome to Pretty Smart.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 1: I am so happy to have you here. And it's time to talk about shoes. Yes, okay, true or false? Most athletic shoes are designed for men. True, shocking, shocking In twenty twenty four, athletic shoes are built around male physiology.
Speaker 2: Yes, how it just boggles my mind.
Speaker 3: I mean the short answer is it's easier and a lot of these legacy brands that still dominate the industry today started in the seventies. Track was predominantly male based. Even in nineteen eighty six, only twenty percent of women were running. Okay, so women's participation in running increased one hundred and fifty percent since nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 1: So if you think what do they attribute that to?
Speaker 3: I think it's just it's I'm hypothesizing. Yeah, but if I had to guess about what it's being attributed to, it's around the accessibility of sport, the acceptance of women participating in sport, and women believing they can do sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the first woman, Catherine Sweitzer to do the Boston Marathon, did it illegally. I'm going to get the year wrong that it was the late sixties or early seventies, and so even.
Speaker 1: I've seen that photo of hert right, and you.
Speaker 2: Need representation to know that you can do it.
Speaker 3: So as more women participate, more women realize, oh, I can do this too, And that's where I think you're seeing, you know, even now, exponential growth and women doing ultra marathons and things that would previously have been considered not appropriate for women back in the day. And so I think you've got these brands that started with men as the core of their identity, and shoes require a lot of tooling, and so when you're investing in all that tooling it as you build it out, it gets harder and.
Speaker 2: Harder to turn the boat.
Speaker 3: Oh so now you are introducing women's product, but women are a small part of your segment, and it's just easier to shrink and pink it than to develop a whole new line. And why would you even in nineteen eighty six from a business decision standpoint, when twenty percent of your customer base and so then you go another twenty years, you now have all these different skews, all these different shoes, all with.
Speaker 2: This tooling that exists.
Speaker 3: It's like turning an oil tanker and you have still the majorities of these large athletic companies are very male dominated at the executive and senior leadership levels, and there's just an unconscious bias.
Speaker 1: That exists, like what are the percentages look like now for their customer base.
Speaker 2: So the most recent fleet feed report and fleet feet is.
Speaker 3: A major US independent retailer, independent meaning not a big box store. Like there's still some corporate owned stores and some franchises, but they're your local run store. Okay, sixty one percent of their customers are women.
Speaker 1: And there's still not investing money to reach tool.
Speaker 2: This they're starting starting. I mean it was crazy. Last year. One brand, I'm not going to name it, name it.
Speaker 3: They released one shoe based off of a woman's last and I remember I was on Instagram and I said to him, I'm like, did you did you see this? I'm like, they just released one shoe. There was no media announcement. I don't even know how you find the shoe. And this is a really big brand that exists today and is very well regarded.
Speaker 2: And I was like oh.
Speaker 3: And then in my mind I was like, oh, this is this is good and bad, Like how do we how do we maybe going to need to do good? Because I think it elevates the conversation bad. Okay, now we need to navigate this new competitor, maybe not bad, but something we're gonna.
Speaker 1: Have to think about, think about. And then it just went away. Wow. And just for context, a lass is basically like an impression or the mold that you use.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: A last is like the foot shape in plastic, the hard plastic okay, solid, and it's what's used to base dictate your shoe design.
Speaker 1: So you and your husband Kyle have invested so much in research. That was the first part of this, even before you had a product. Yes, I was shocked and you were shocked too when you found out that in such research, women are considered confounding variables.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, there's a study from twenty sixteen that was referenced in the literature review that we funded that stated that women are often excluded from sports science research their hormones are too variable to control and they represent a confounding subject. And this really I remember reading that, clipping it out, sending it to all my girlfriends. When we got this paper it was twenty twenty one. I found this quote referencing twenty sixteen, and it just blew my mind that even five years ago that women were still considered confounding variables in research.
Speaker 1: Well, it's across the board that that's the case. Historically, they've been underrepresented in cardiovascular health, psychology, sports medicine. They're finally recognizing gender differences. And you say, a lot of it has to do with hormones.
Speaker 2: A lot of the gender differences.
Speaker 3: Hormones are one piece, like physiology is definitely a piece as well, but for exclusion from research, hormones is largely the piece.
Speaker 1: So what do you think it is about women that makes it easy for researchers to easily dismiss them.
Speaker 3: Women's hormones are really variable, even within your monthly cycle, and every women's monthly cycle has some variation to it. That makes it difficult to understand when they're seeing differences in biomechanics, is that really caused by a hormonal variation or is that something related to the equipment or the training that's happening.
Speaker 2: I think it's hard to measure hormones.
Speaker 3: The historical way of including hormones and research is through mailing out ovulation kits. Even when I started discussing including hormones in our research with Simon Fraser University, we were going to be mailing out ovulation kits. I was fortunate to learn of a company out of Calgary that has created a way to do hormonal research at scale. Wow, and so we are now partnering with them in our research, which one ovulation kits limit the population of women you can research because they need to be ovulating.
Speaker 1: Whereas I didn't think about that, that's huge.
Speaker 2: That's huge.
Speaker 3: And if you think about there's very little research on perimenopausal or menopausal women because you it's difficult to measure those hormones without doing a lot of blood testing or things that require are a lot of time and analysis. And so my normative is the name of the Calgary company is working with universities on wide scale hormonal research.
Speaker 1: So how do hormones affect our shoes? Are what we need for our shoes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, hormones And this is still early yeah, and so and my knowledge is limited. So from what we know that there are laxity differences based on when your estrogen levels fluctuate in your cycle. And so if you have different varying levels of progestrogen and estrogen which happened during a monthly mental cycle, they happen during pregnancy postpartum. You know, we're always having these variation levels. It affects your tendons and your ligaments and the elasticity of them and whether they're.
Speaker 2: Looser or tighter. And so if you think about that and you think about.
Speaker 3: Ankle stability or nie stability or hip stability, what you're putting on your feet that affects your ability to balance as your joints maybe in a state of being hypermobile or more rigid based on your hormones.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So how do you solve for that in a shoe? Like are what his head is doing? Differently?
Speaker 3: So what part of what we're doing is wanting to understand this more so, we have upcoming research studies that are focused on the menstrual cycle of women and how it affects their performance and measuring both laxity and joints as as well as biomechanical measurements that would show how their gait is performing or there's asymmetry is occurring. And then we're also doing a larger study to understand stand in training for an intense race like a marathon or a half marathon, what is the interplay between biomechanics, hormones and injury. Okay, and if we leverage something like big data, can we predict it from the shoes that will help inform where do we need more support, where do we need to make sure there's less impact.
Speaker 2: Are there different types of insoles we can use?
Speaker 3: Are there different Like the plate design in this shoe specifically was designed to reduce impact on joints and to provide more stability so that if you're in a phase of your cycle where there's more laxity in your joints, you don't have to worry as much about rolling your ankle or if you've had previous injury. So it's considering like those factors.
Speaker 1: So I love how like you see this big issue and you decide you're going to be the one to solve it. Have you always had this entrepreneurial spirit.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I'm an accountant by trade, so I'm like extremely pragmatic. I've been in finance and technology, but one thing that's been really consistent in my life is I never sort of settle for status quo, Like there's always a.
Speaker 2: Better way to do something, And I think with this.
Speaker 3: Particular issue, you know, I have a real passion for the role that sport plays in girls and in women's lives and how it impacts your personal wellbeing, your career, your community, and for girls. I'm extremely passionate. I have two daughters, they're twins. They're extremely active in sport and seeing girls drop out of sport, actually going to assemblies and watching grade three to grade seven the number of girls shrink, and then knowing what that's going to mean for skills that they're going to miss out on developing. It all sort of came together when I learned about the shoe industry and we had my husband and I had this idea that we would start a brand when we were you know, our kids were older and out of the house, and we had all this time to put towards it, and we realized that actually the time was now, which was not ideal. Our kids were life is very full and busy. We're both also, you know, have our careers that I'm transitioning to this, and the intent wasn't originally for me to lead it.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you're still both working separate jobs one hundred percent and building this, Yes, and that's how you're funding this research. Yes, Lindsey, that's incredible.
Speaker 2: It's just what needed to happen.
Speaker 1: Like, so when you say that you're you were weren't supposed to lead this, what does that mean?
Speaker 3: Like the when we started this, the idea was Kyle would come in transition and and be the CEO, and he's your husband, he's my husband. That was the original thought way back in twenty twenty. You know, y'all all this time in your hands, it's COVID. We went through so many different iterations and when we started this, we thought we had two investors, okay, and they both fell through for different reasons. And being the pragmatmatic person that I am, I would never have agreed to this had I had thought that we didn't have funding. And I remember when the both investors fell through and we got the the project plan from Simon Fraser, and doing university research is expensive, very and we were either like we either fund this or we canceled this whole project.
Speaker 2: And we just so strongly believed in this that we cut the check. And are you.
Speaker 1: Able to share how much that was that first check?
Speaker 2: It was close to one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: And this is not you're not making a product yet, you're not. You were just funding research.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was just funding research. We didn't have a shoe design, we didn't even have our word mark, we don't even have a URL. You're just funding recar.
Speaker 2: Like, if we are going to do this, we are gonna do this right.
Speaker 3: And it means that we are doing the work to build the product that is going to make a difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess well at that point, all of a sudden, there's a different level of commitment that you have.
Speaker 2: Then you're in.
Speaker 1: You're in.
Speaker 2: You're in.
Speaker 3: And that was like when we sat down, you know, we enjoy wine. We opened a bottle of wine and we're like do we like, what do we do? This is this is either the move forward or we shelve this, And we just both felt so strongly about it, and we both firmly believe even the power of brands to do good in the world. That we're like, we can do this, Like we can. We're crazy, and they counting in Me's like what are you doing?
Speaker 1: And this is like your kid's college fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we're gonna do it.
Speaker 1: I have chills. I'm so excited for you because I really deeply admire people that take big swings. Oh so f you people are willing to go out on a limb like that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love seeing little signs and I get inspired by quotes or things that I hear on Peloton not religious. And I'm driving downtown Vancouver and there's a church and it has this billboard sign outside and it says something about you know the story of your life and how you are in control of it, and the closing line on it was so make it a good one, And I was like, Okay, I'm like, yes, we get one chance to do something to make a difference, and we will regret this, Like this is something where we feel so strongly about and why wouldn't we And that doesn't mean it's not stressful, and it doesn't mean there's not tears.
Speaker 2: And you know sometimes you're like, what are we doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we just feel so strongly about what we're building that we just keep coming back to that during the challenges.
Speaker 1: So I know this is difficult because your head is so in the science. But if you could try and like share this in layman's terms, Yeah, how is head is going to change the market? What's it going to do for people and for women?
Speaker 3: So I think from a few different perspectives. From a product perspective, you know, we're going to build product that is made for women, and what that means is that the intent is that there will be better performance. We hear that people's legs are less tired after running in the shoes, that they're not experienced the same amount of fatigue after running a race. We've had a lot of reports of pain and injury reduction. It just it boggles my mind. So now we're collecting those So building good product and product that's purposeful for women to stay active through your life till you're ninety. Longevity, that's the goal. The second part is through community, in building community and places and events where women can both come to connect.
Speaker 2: And to learn and share.
Speaker 3: So we host panels of health practitioners with the specialty stores that we run in or that we sell in, are really grateful that for these events where they come and they talk about things like pelvic health, which hasn't been a mainstream topic it's starting to become more mainstream or through perimenopause, and we can have a conversation around how does that affect your training, and so creating these safe spaces for women to come and share information. And then the third part is really about transparency and what we're doing, why we're doing it, What are you putting on your feet? What question should you be asking when you go to the shoe store about what you're buying to put on your feet, to do whatever sport that you're doing.
Speaker 1: To me, I don't mean to add a number four, but what I'm thinking as you're sharing is the number four is that you're changing the industry for all other shoe lines to have to catch up to you.
Speaker 3: I mean in a really big aspirational way, like we want to create a movement, We want to revolutionize how shoes are talked about, created, made, And I think that's really where the transparency piece lends in. If we do public research if we're sharing that research, if the consumers getting educated, if the consumers ask different questions, it starts raising the bar of what needs to go into the development from the bigger the bigger brands, and that would be incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too. I still am in shock that this is not happening on a global scale.
Speaker 3: No, no, it's it really is mind boggling.
Speaker 1: So as you're sharing, I'm thinking this is sort of a David and Goliath situation. Like you have these megabrands that have been around for really long time, fifty plus years sometimes longer, with billion dollars, like they're billion dollar companies, and here you are with your husband Kyle, funding research to create this. What makes the two of you believe that and know that this is something you can do.
Speaker 3: I think are unity and our network and just our own experience. We don't believe in doing things on your own. We know it takes a village, and we feel very strongly about our village. And I think when we started doing this, what started to make it seem like it was possible was people just wanted to help. And it's still it's still happening today. It's how I met you It's how I'm going to this conference next week. This company in Vancouver that makes videos for Arctics and Lululemon in North Face is doing a pro bono video series with me because they believe in what we're doing.
Speaker 2: And it's that belief that boys us up.
Speaker 3: The more conversations we have with people that then are like, what can I do?
Speaker 2: How can I participate?
Speaker 3: The athletes that are reaching out, the people we've been able to collect as part of the team with really esteemed resumes that just fundamentally believe in what we're doing. It's what keeps you moving forward. They believe in the mission and you found the helpers exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I'm curious about your and your husband's backgrounds because Kyle was the CEO of Native Shoes. He's still the CEO of Native Shoes. Yes, so this is interesting, and he previously worked for Lululemon. Yes, so there is some complimentary experience. Obviously you have the finance background, but you used to work in it and you just love gear. Is that correct? Yeah, So I'm curious what are the holes that you're looking to fill right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So both of us are really strong operators. I you know the holes we have are on the more creative side, okay, and marketings, and we have fortunate we have Julie Channing who is with All Birds from launch until twenty twenty one. She is so passionate about women in sport and she also has a daughter, which was another interesting thread of everybody that started to help us in the early days.
Speaker 2: Really which I can talk about in a minute because it was really fascinating.
Speaker 3: But the marketing side digital Kyle led e commerce at Lululemon in the early teens right before we moved to Australia for a period of time, and the e commerce landscape has really changed, particularly in digital advertising, and so you know, learning this new landscape. The creative side, the copywriting side, and really that story building are places that we were looking for who can be in our village and our team to support that, as well as on the sales side, which is a newer piece to me, and then from raising capital. Even though I've been in finance, I've never had to raise money. I've worked in budgeting, planning, forecasting, I love building model, I love being in Excel, but raising money is very much a different side of sales, and so learning how to pitch, and I started enlisting help on that. This year where I started joining accelerators, one exclusively focused on.
Speaker 2: Women out of New York.
Speaker 3: I did a Dream Ventures accelerator, and then I joined Power to Pitch, which is run by two amazing women. And finding support in those places to build up skill sets or be a supporting skill set.
Speaker 1: So smart. Yeah, I'm curious about the daughter through line.
Speaker 3: The daughter through line really was one of those things that also was like, Okay, this is something that needs to happen. So obviously Kyle and I have two daughters that were a huge inspiration to us building this brand.
Speaker 1: And the head is this named after your daughter?
Speaker 2: Screamed after them? Yes?
Speaker 1: What are their two names?
Speaker 2: Hadley Elizabeth and Taya Ann?
Speaker 1: Okay, so h e ta.
Speaker 3: But that didn't look right when we were this is how like accountant's name brands. What are my kids initials? How can I arrange them? That rhymes with hepa filter and it's COVID, So we're not going to do that. And then we started playing with letters and we ended up with heetahs, and we wanted it not to be a word that had a broad meaning.
Speaker 2: And when we googled it.
Speaker 3: It does have a definition in Swedish which is heat and energy, and I worked for a Swedish brand while we lived in Australia. That really influenced my perspective of how a workplace could be run differently. It was ninety percent women. I could go to my kids' swim lessons on Mondays. If you went on Matt leave, you got diapers for the year. And so I really admired Christina for what she built. And so when we had the we came up with headahs. It incorporated our daughters and daughters initials, and then it had this Swedish nod to it and Christina's from Sweden.
Speaker 2: I was like this, this.
Speaker 1: Is all right, this all feels right.
Speaker 3: When we started talking to people, Doug has four daughters and two granddaughters, like I alluded to earlier, and so he came on as our product partner. Then we were speaking to the person at the Biomechanics lab. He has three daughters. He introduced us to Chris, who's now our head researcher, and I just said, Chris, how many daughters do you have? And he was like two, And it just at the beginning all of the men in particular that were joining Headas and what we wanted to build, all of them had daughters. It really blew my mind, and it started to be when I would meet with people, particularly.
Speaker 2: Around capital or raising money.
Speaker 3: It's one of the things I try to figure out early on, because there's a different meaning to someone that has a daughter. And even Dave Shelburne, who is our sales lead, he was with that new balance for a really long time. His daughter, who's now in her twenties, was very active in basketball at a high level through her teens and didn't have a great experience with coaching and injury and footwear. In his participation in Headas. He loves the team, but it's also very personal for him around around making a difference.
Speaker 1: I understand that. I think when you have a personal buy in, it changes everything. I might have asked you this, but I'm going to ask you again, just for context, what are the unique needs of female runners.
Speaker 3: I'll get to approach it from a foot perspective to start, because that's what we know the most of today is that women's feet are anatomically different than men's feet, and that there's a whole lot of other pieces in our anatomy that varies as well. But when you look at running and how the footwear is fitting your foot, the shape of our foot which is more pie shaped, our ankle bones sit lower, our instep is more curved, which affects how the lacing structure holds your foot in place. Our toes tend to curve up more, and our fifth metatarsal or the knuckle on your pinky toe, jets out more. And women are also more prone to bunions and there's a lot of history.
Speaker 2: With women in Achilles injuries.
Speaker 3: So when we design this shoe, it was very much taking those anatomical needs into consideration as well as how do we create less impact on the female body for joints and the thought of do we really need a carbon plate, which was one of our hypotheses at the beginning, and if we didn't do a carbon late because we wanted to enter with a really technical shoe. So we picked a niche group of the women's market that would be the group behind the elites and a marathon. They're running three or more times a week. They have a rotation of shoes and they're part of the run community. Participating in races are important for them.
Speaker 1: Why start with them?
Speaker 3: I felt that shoes that were coming out that were geared towards women were watering down the tech. And we are smart, we are intelligent, we are competitive. There's no need to shy away from technology and performance. And we felt that if we entered at that level of the market, we could prove credibility, prove product quality and our ability to build shoes, and then introduce shoes that would be more democratic, which is what we're working on now.
Speaker 1: Wow, what impact do you think you could have or the shoe market could have if they were to have proactively addressed some of these issues.
Speaker 3: Oh, man, I think you'd see women in sport longer. I you know, I think I think from what I'm seeing and what I'm hearing, there's another downturn of women falling out of sport as they age, and the number of women that I know and that I read of with feet issues that get exacerbated during perimenopause and menopause. It affects your ability to continue to participate in sport, and if you're cutting that short, you're also probably cutting some of your social and community short. Because if sport has been a big part of your life. Usually it's part of your social fabric, whether it's run clubs or tennis is a big part of my life and the women I play tennis with. And if all of a sudden, I'm having a lot of foot pain and I can't do that, not only am I missing it on the mental and physical benefits, but my whole social being is.
Speaker 2: Going to get stifled.
Speaker 1: It changes.
Speaker 3: So I think it really you know, I really do think a lot about longevity in this and I think that, yes, there will be performance benefits. Yes, I think women probably would be more injury and pain free earlier on, but I think the whole picture leads to longevity.
Speaker 1: I usually work out with a trainer. It's the one thing I won't give up. Yeah, And you know, when you start with a new trainer, they always say, okay, what are your goals? And they see like a young woman, and they expect me to say, like tone or weight loss or whatever. Yeah, And ten out of ten times I say longevity. I want to be ninety years old and planking and doing yoga, yes, and cycling and I want to have mobility. And they're like, ah, it's a little interesting, but I love that that's your goal With these shoes, I feel so aligned.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think it's you know, I've watched the Blue Zones on. I don't think it's a a mystery why tennis is what the number one sport right now for longevity between the physical and mental benefits as well as the social component. It's really hard on your body, like the every sport has different places about being hard on your body, but the lateral movements, the pounding on your feet and the fact that it's still up there as something that will help you live to be a centurion.
Speaker 2: That social piece is huge.
Speaker 1: Do you think about centurions? Yeah, me too, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: I find it fascinating or fascinator the you know the other piece I found fascinating just to dive for a minute. It was like the hill climbing and the walking and how that makes a difference.
Speaker 1: Tell me, I don't know that. I focus on sleep all the time. So they all sleep at least seven and a quarter hours a night. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was a sense of purpose, okay, which I think is so important and it goes to you know, this journey and things that are beyond the financial because it's so important to have purpose in your life. And they speak about the consistency and having these stories where people are living in villages or towns where there's a lot of uphill and so they might not be working out, but they are climbing and to do.
Speaker 2: That you need.
Speaker 3: It builds your balance, it builds your strength, it means you're less prone to falls. And then they talk about this social and the community aspect. Yeah, so I think about that a lot.
Speaker 1: I love that you have a prototype, if you have.
Speaker 3: A shoe, I have a shoe. I know, it's exciting. It really is crazy. I remember on the first Phrotos arrived at our house, I was just like, oh my god, we actually.
Speaker 1: Made a shoe.
Speaker 3: Because it took about a year and a half two years from the research and the design for a shoe to arrive, and it was a bit mind blowing. And then when we actually started selling shoes, it was crazy. And even now when I see people wearing them, I want to go up to them, which is kind of creepy and I wouldn't do it, but I feel like, how.
Speaker 2: Did where did you get your shoe? What do you think?
Speaker 1: Can you give me?
Speaker 2: Can you give me some live feedback?
Speaker 3: So I always want to know what people think too, because we're you know, getting feedback from the people wearing our shoes is a huge part of what we're doing, is we as we build a brand. But yeah, it's it's kind of surreal to see a product.
Speaker 1: So you see people in the wild wearing them. Yes, it's really exciting.
Speaker 2: It's really excited.
Speaker 3: Someone sent me a picture once they were at a run club in New York and they're like, oh, so they took a picture and they're like, live from the streets of New York. He is in the wild, And I was just like, that is so mind boggling to me.
Speaker 1: It's so exciting to see someone use something that you've built and have put so much love into. Yeah. Yeah, what's the feedback been so far?
Speaker 2: The feedback has been overall good. It's a lot of.
Speaker 3: Feedback around injury relief and pain relief, which I was not expecting the amount of feedback on that, and a lot of feedback around around the heel cup and people really appreciating a lot of thought went into this heel cup, both the shape of it, the fact that it's flexible, it doesn't put pressure on your achilles, and so to have that come back as a both from store owners and customers as what they're really appreciating.
Speaker 2: You know, I think we have some work to do on the width.
Speaker 3: And it is a firm shoe, so in an era of max cushion, you know, this was meant to be part of someon rotation, not your shoe for everything, and so we need to come up with a more cushioned.
Speaker 2: Option as our next offering. And so that's what we're working on.
Speaker 1: It's twenty twenty four and I often think about sexism. It's part of my job, right. It's the lens through which I see the world. I see the world through a female lens, but I see people's eyes glaze over a little bit. It's not fun to talk about. Sometimes it almost comes off complainy or why, like, yeah, people, there's like a victim thing about it. You describe your personal experience with sexism and as you started to pursue creating this shoe, can you share what happened?
Speaker 3: So I've worked in a lot of industries, mining, forestry, I've often finance tech where I'm I've often been one one or if one of two women, if not the only woman. I got kind of used to that in a way that maybe isn't healthy early in my career, but I never was treated differently and I never was treated in a way that I felt less than my counterparts, which I appreciated. When we started HADAS and we started the capital raise process, I think it was one of the first times that I felt treated differently as a woman in what I was learning about the industry and how it existed today, and both from the percent of money that flows to women as a total of the plot of venture capital money it's under two percent.
Speaker 2: That blew my mind, almost more.
Speaker 3: So than the shoe design, because I was like, it's twenty twenty four. Women are accomplished in business, Why why aren't they being funded? And then I was learning more about the type of questions and how when you go into an interview raising money, the questions that are asked to women are often very different than the questions asked to men, and you're often really asked to prove yourself to a different degree. And as someone who has had a successful career and for the most part been rewarded from merit and what I've been able to build to have that, I felt like it was not considered as part of this process.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And that in my mind I equated it to the nineteen fifties and going to get a car loan and needing your husband to be there to sign for the car loan.
Speaker 2: Bringing a man into your.
Speaker 3: Capital raised process increases your likelihood of funding from two percent to thirty percent?
Speaker 1: What from two to thirty Yeah. You know. I've had people sit in this chair and talk about funding, and a lot of times they say that the questions they're asked as women are about proving why this will work, yes, versus they ask men right about the vision of this or I did not know that bringing a man into the equation changes at that drastically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I was doing it a lot on my own.
Speaker 1: Now Kyle is coming, Kyle, you're the right gender. Yeah, you need.
Speaker 2: To be on some of these calls.
Speaker 1: Wo. Yeah. So have you been able to overcome this finance obstacle? Do you have investment yet?
Speaker 2: No, we don't know.
Speaker 3: We're still very much actively looking and pivoting as we go to adjust and keep headahs very much moving forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we're hopeful that we'll be able to raise money in the in the next six months. And you just there's good days and bad days, and you just keep moving forward.
Speaker 1: Head As is named after your two girls. Yes, as a mother, how do your daughters influence your particular passion for creating running shoes specifically designed for women?
Speaker 3: You know when so I was having foot pain, my kids were nine, and we started. I read an article and I think it was in New York Times.
Speaker 2: I can't