Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's you.
Speaker 3: I am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcasts Special special edition one eleven productions iHeartRadio Media Podcast. I gotta tell you we got a special edition here with Yes you wanted her, You've got her again Ariel Cabell. So here she is. Hey, Ariel, thanks for coming back on boy. The fans really like you and we have an episode we have we're calling justice for Lindsey. Hashtag justice for Lindsey. Here's here's what we're doing. Lindsay Listener first appeared in season three Gilmore Girls as Dean's girlfriend. Many ways represented Rory's opposite.
Speaker 4: She is tall and blonde and content with the idea of being a stay at home wife and future mother, which aligns with Dean's idea of a marriage that was presented in that Damn Donna Reed. The two eventually got more serious, tied to Knot, but their marriage only lasted about a year after Lindsay discovered.
Speaker 1: Dean cheated on her with Rory. Many fans sympathize with Lindsey, feeling she was unfairly portrayed and mistreated in this series. They believed Dean was largely to blame for their troubled marriage due to his lingering feelings for Rory, and they criticized for Rory for engaging in an affair with him. Larel is also faulted for not holding Rory accountable. A confrontation scene with Lindsay's mother is seen as a justified reaction to the hurt cause all right, fan questions, You ready, Eric, let's get into it. All right, now, it's time to talk about what are fans saying about Lindsay today to you, Ariel that they weren't saying when the show first aired.
Speaker 2: Is this a question for me?
Speaker 1: That's right, No, that's yeah.
Speaker 2: The common thing is justice for Lindsay.
Speaker 5: And I'm kind of like, huh, because I love hearing that. But I think I told you this, and we started to talk about it at the cod back when we were filming it. People were such hardcore Rory Dean fans that.
Speaker 2: I would literally be in a coffee shop. I remember distinctly.
Speaker 5: I was in coffee Bean on Sunset Boulevard in a like the Lord juicy jumpsuit because that was.
Speaker 2: Cool that that meant you were dilish in Hollywood.
Speaker 5: And I was on the phone with my mom because I called my parent in every single day, and I hear these girls.
Speaker 6: Go excuse me, are you and get more girls and I'm like, hang on, mom, you know so, and I.
Speaker 5: Said, yes, yes I am, and they go in sync, they go, we hate you.
Speaker 1: Oh man getting there.
Speaker 2: In line like oh, I gotta go. And that was actually a very common reaction back in the day. People did not like that.
Speaker 5: They saw it from my understanding, as you know, my character was this disruption between Rory and Dean, and they just really wanted to see the two of them together and I was getting in the way of that, and so a lot of hate back in the day, and I think actually happy when I was gone. Present cut to present day, I've had more mothers and daughters come up to me and say justice for Lindsay didn't deserve that he You know, we can't believe that Rory reacted that way.
Speaker 2: I mean, really like across the board.
Speaker 1: Like, wow, do you remember reading the script and seeing that you were getting cheated on with Rory? Do you remember how it felt?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you want to know how messed up this is? Yeah, I remember reading the script. I actually thought the cheating made more sense than us getting married. I remember reading the script where we got married, and I was like, what, that was harder for me to wrap my head around. I don't know if that just means I'm really messed up, but I because we were just so young and we were so fresh in this relationship. I was really trying to wrap my head around, Okay, we just took this jump to marriage. So I guess by the time the cheating came, I was like, well, yeah, of course, you know, like what else was going to happen? Right, So, yeah, I don't know what that says about me.
Speaker 1: But why do you think Lindsay didn't directly confront Rory after she found the note?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. I think deep down she always knew.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: It's like I remember that episode where she's like baking him cupcakes with gummy bears on top.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like.
Speaker 5: She's doing all these things to just these acts of service, to just show her.
Speaker 2: Love and this commitment to him.
Speaker 5: And you can feel, even if someone's not saying it, you can feel when someone's not all in right. And so I think I think she felt like, dang, I wish I was wrong, but I was right.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's say, let's give you the power over your character. You're the writer, Okay, you determine what Lindsay should have done. What should it have been in your estimation?
Speaker 2: Well, I love that she threw his stuff out the window. That was fine. I thought about power. I loved that they gave me that power. I thought that great my voice. I mean, they have me screaming for hours, so.
Speaker 5: That I loved What should she have done? You know? I think at some point it would have been nice if she wasn't going to have a conversation with Rory, to be able once the screaming and the hurt and the you know, after shock or the shock had worn off, to be able to really look in the eyes and confront him, because at the end of the day, well, number one, that's scarier even than someone yelling and throwing out your coasts. To really have like the stillness of looking someone in their eyes and having a real conversation about what you know. I think that would have been really powerful, and I think that would have grown them both up a lot.
Speaker 1: So you never shot any confrontation scenes with Rory, and it just didn't end up in the final cut, not.
Speaker 2: That I can remember. There was right, there's nothing with Rory.
Speaker 5: And if anything today, I would probably go to her. I think, you know, mixing worlds now, bringing a little John Tucker into here. I think because I do have a situation like this in real life where there is someone out there that I'm like, girl, when the time is right, if you want to, I'll tell you everything you know.
Speaker 2: And I think that's really powerful.
Speaker 5: So I think having a sit down, eye to I, face to face with Dean like no bullshit. I think that would have been so powerful. And given Lindsay her real moment, you know, throwing the clothes out is really fun, but then to get like in there, yeah, okay, it would have been It would have been nice. I don't know that Linday and Rory would ever be friends, but to have that thing of like, I'm not going to turn against you because you're the woman in this, you know, to to hold her ground, but to find a way where I mean, who knows, like if Rory had even said she was sorry, or this was where she was coming from, or to just have I think, you know, so often there's a lot of power that the man keeps by the women not talking, even if they're not going to be friends, even if they're never going to see each other again, there's still power in keeping the women separate and keeping the women away. I think that if Rory and lindsay, maybe it wouldn't have even been a schedule thing. Maybe if they just run into each other and had an opportunity to kind of clear the air. That's really powerful too, you know, for both sides. For someone who maybe did something wrong and lives with regret to clear that space, and then for someone who was wronged and to share where she was coming from and.
Speaker 2: Her perspective, and maybe to even say like I always knew it was you or whatever.
Speaker 5: You know, it's clearing the air on both spaces, which again I actually did with someone, and it was so powerful and it was heartbreaking, but it actually freed both of us.
Speaker 2: And I would have never in a million years thought that that conversation.
Speaker 5: That I needed it or that they needed it, But when it happened, I felt so free after.
Speaker 1: All. Right, let me let me ask you that, So, what point in that relationship do you think Lindsey should have left Dean when oh, Wolf, well, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know if the fans may not like me for this one. I don't know that she should have left.
Speaker 6: I think that I don't think they should have gotten married so soon.
Speaker 5: I think that that that trajectory was like too much, too fast, and so it all can crumbling down.
Speaker 1: Good. I love that. Where do you think Lindsay is? Now?
Speaker 2: You know I've thought about this, you have, Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 5: Because I've had so many people say justice for Lindsay and so like I had to lean into that, like, yeah, where do I want Lindsay to be?
Speaker 2: How do I want her to be happy? What would she be doing now? I thought it would be so genius if she.
Speaker 5: Was a like badass lawyer and that it's specifically known for like defending women.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think be just like fantastic.
Speaker 1: Right, here's some fan questions. More more fan questions.
Speaker 2: I hope they don't hate me after this interview.
Speaker 1: They do not. They love you, They love you more. It's a deeper love. Favorite on set memory during Gilmore Girls. These are quick answers.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, well I told this story. I'll tell the quick version. Speaking of the wedding when Jared and I shot that scene. There was these huge champagne bottles magnums, and we thought there was champagne in them, and so we thought we'd be really smart and sassy.
Speaker 2: And go steal them at the end of the night.
Speaker 5: We did, but we didn't realize there was nothing in them.
Speaker 1: Were you close with Jared? Who were your favorite castmates to work with?
Speaker 5: And why Darren I were buds because you know, most of my scenes were with him, and he knew I had just moved to Florida, he had moved from Texas, you know, and so we had a lot in common in terms of feeling like fish out of water, new to this industry, a fresh out the gate. And so I just remember a lot of times I would go and play the games with his vibes and like order pizza, and we were total vibes.
Speaker 2: And I really appreciated that.
Speaker 5: I wish I'd hung out more with Alexis because I just feel like I could have learned so much from her, and she was just so smart and beautiful.
Speaker 2: But I was pretty intimidated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she she was busy. She she you know, her down. I don't know how much downtime she ever had to really hang out with anyone. I mean, she was just at the studio all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she really was.
Speaker 1: And you know how that is because you know, now you're on a show and you're the lead of a show, and it's a big show and it's a big responsibility, big time commitment too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a big responsibility. It's a lot of pressure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, what character in this show can you relate to the most other than Lindsey.
Speaker 2: Probably Laura Lai m hm.
Speaker 5: Why Because I feel like in so many areas in my life, I'm why is and you know, can give good advice everything been in my own life.
Speaker 2: There's parts where I'm just like, really, is that me.
Speaker 1: Any one day? And they also want to know. They also want to know what's been your favorite role so far in your career?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I know as you. I mean, I'm sure you get this too.
Speaker 5: That's such a that's really hard for me to answer because they're so different.
Speaker 2: I love all my characters, I really do. I feel lucky to be able to say that.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that's not the question. I know. Let's go come on, cough up one, let's go okay.
Speaker 5: I would say one of the characters that have that has impacted me the most is Lexi from Vamprdre's and I would say the one that has pushed me to my limits where there was days where I was really questioning I could do.
Speaker 2: It would be Rescue High Surf M that we just finished.
Speaker 1: Okay and you shoot that and why we're shoot.
Speaker 2: In Hawaii for eight months nineteen episodes. Yeah, and a lot of people.
Speaker 5: Don't know there is no CGI in the show, so like foot wave behind me, it's really a twenty foot wave.
Speaker 1: Are you are you at YMEA? Are you where are you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, We're all up and down the north shore, so.
Speaker 1: We have so you're actually shooting at the north shore.
Speaker 5: I mean in the opening episode, the opening sequence when I'm on the rescue slide coming in the waves behind me, that's actually at pipeline. It's like on that was like a dangerous days at pipeline.
Speaker 2: That was my first week of filming. I told her when I was like, that was my initiation.
Speaker 1: And that was it. That was during the wintertime when the waves are really great. Yeah.
Speaker 5: That was a big part of the show is that we had to film during winter so that we were getting huge swells.
Speaker 1: You know, I used to be a surfer and I did go to Maya and I did not go out and the surf it was too big. Sorry, But I did climb on the top of that rock and jump off it.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yes, in the spot. I love that, you know that spot?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that spot. Yeah. Yeah, I do that all day. Yeah, I love it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the twenty foot waves are like, nah, I'm not going out and that I don't want to die today.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And that's the thing is, it's not just the way when you get in that washing machine and you are throng and tumble. I mean you really don't know what's up and what's down, and there's and there's current and it's it is an experience like no other.
Speaker 1: And it's shallow, yes, and it's coral and it will rip you up. I mean, it's just the guys that go out there and do that or they're so talented and so brave. I just like you know, I had, I had experienced surfing, you know, Sunset Beach in Malibu, but it's nothing like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And a lot of it is because of the coral and the reef break and everything.
Speaker 2: That's what made did one of the most dangerous stretches in the world.
Speaker 5: Because you know, you're not twenty foot wave, but you only got this much between you and the coral.
Speaker 2: It's like it's it's really I thought I knew.
Speaker 5: I have a new appreciation and new respect ending for these surfers from mother Nature, for the power of the ocean over there, I meanlievable, and the life.
Speaker 2: So much respect for the real lifeguards that are okay.
Speaker 1: Right, So who do you get recognized the most for what character?
Speaker 5: It's it's definitely a tie between Lindsay from Gilmore Girls Carriers from John Charger Must Die, Cecilia from Aquamarine and Lexi Vampire Diaries, and then and then currently people will stop me for Rescue High Surf because it's currently airing.
Speaker 2: But if in the past that's what it is.
Speaker 1: You're you're a superstar. It's unbelievable. You're just such a star. Ariel, thank you so much. Thank you for your.
Speaker 2: Time, and thank you to the fans for all the great questions. That was really fun for me. I haven't Lindsay Q.
Speaker 1: And A yeah, I take great, I take great anyway. Thank you, Ariel, one of our favorites over here and the best fans on the planet. You asked the questions, you got the answers right from the horse's mouth. Thanks again, Ariel for showing up and being you. Just thanks for being you, and remember best fans on the planet. Thanks for downloads and where you lead, we will follow.
Speaker 3: Stay sife.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at im all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.