Speaker 1: All right, welcome in.
Speaker 2: Kind of the start pretty much the start of our Sunday Football podcast, which go an hour plus as John was in Chicago this weekend with me at the Live Tour event in Chicago, which was really a good time. I was thinking about this before I came on. We got a lot of football to talk about for the next hour. But like hockey, I never know if things work on TV. Some stuff works on TV, some doesn't. But in person, the Live Tour events great, so I strongly recommended. I am for the entrepreneur. I like new stuff and big swings, so good for the Live Tour it was fantastic, a real event, concerts, music everywhere, up close and personal with the golfers. John was in Chicago this weekend, so let's just start with that. Your interpretations. I don't know if John, if you could be a little dehydrated after our weekend.
Speaker 1: It was a long flight home. We had a good thirty six hours. Hell of a run. I mean beautiful. I was telling everyone there I had never been to Chicago outside of the airports. Beautiful. The suburbs are awesome. I mean, he's green. You were showing me where you live, and obviously you have a beautiful house. We had a good time. We watched some football, watch some golf, hung out with Scott O'Neil, who's the CEO. Is you know. The one thing with live Golf, the negativity. A lot of it stemmed from Greg Norman, who I would say, on the popularity chart in his sport is pretty low, you know, and that includes you know, the players on live. So I think he is not a golf guy, which I think helps. The PGA tour brings in an NFL guy not a golf guy, which helps so that they look at it more from a business sense. I actually left there feeling pretty optimistic, big picture that things will get figured out, maybe not like in a month, but in the next eighteen months, that they will get some progress and we can stop complaining, because I know I complained. But yeah, Chicago was awesome. The Tito's was flowing and that the food was good and we had some chicken parm last night.
Speaker 2: It was a long We had a long day Saturday. We were out and about we thought it was five point fifteen at my house. We were exhausted, and then in laws showed up and we stayed up till ten thirty and the tito started flowing in the bombay gin and it was a good we're just all washing.
Speaker 1: Then NFL family shows up with a full bottle of gin. I said, geez, you guys are ready to party.
Speaker 2: So I will say I want to start talking about shudor Sanders.
Speaker 1: We'll start with there.
Speaker 2: So I was just saying today to make it, to simplify it. These aren't the exact percentages, but I would say fifty percent of quarterback is traits, you know, and occasionally a player like big Ban or Cam have remarkable traits. So those traits are size, movement, athleticism, toughness, you know, all all the obvious stuff you can see on TV. The other fifty percent and maybe a smaller percentage is film study, galvanizing, the locker room, kind of obsessive nature, pre snap. That's the stuff we can't see. So if you are Camra big Ben or Josh Allen, where your traits are like otherworldly, top one percent of quarterbacks in my lifetime, Dan Marino had that, then you don't have to maybe have the quite the self awareness, the film study, the pre snap excellence. You don't always have to be a great teammate or workout as hard like big Ben didn't in the off season. So Senor sanders to me, Collagen pro. The traits are fine. He's mobile enough. He's accurate, I think moving and stationary's accurate. His size is fine. He's not top heavy like Will Levis, who feels all chest and arms, and he's not spindily like a Matt Rein or a Teddy Bridgewater. He's six two two eighteen very sod. He's not a weight room guy, but it's just a very He's comfortable playing. He runs backwards sometimes you know that you got to stop that because he's not athletic enough to escape. My question has always been his traits are okay, so he's got to be great film study EQIQ pre snap galvanizing teammates. And then I see the speeding tickets legendary, the New York Giant stuff, which has been now reported multiple times and I had it validated again last week. It was a disaster. But my takeaway watching him was he's comfortable. It looks a little like college. He's an accurate thrower, doesn't have a huge arm, moves okay, and when he's got to make big throws, in the red zone. He's pretty damn good at it. That's my take.
Speaker 1: Yours, Well, I would say the pre draft stuff was real, but it's real for a lot of players that end up falling in the draft and then they go on to make plays and become good players and none of it matters ever. Again, so I think shador I think there are a lot of different anger here. First and foremost his dad, which is a huge reason. Right. He is a very famous and polarizing individual, is one of the most gifted athletes in the history of American professional sports. And he's one of the best football players. And he wouldn't tackle. And we all say, yeah, LT's and Reggie White probably the two best defensive players. Dion's probably top five. He wouldn't tackle, and he bragged about it. He's like, they don't pay me to tackle because he could cover. Well, he's not that level of a talent. But he is very instinctive and a natural football player. And I think two things we don't talk about enough with quarterbacks. One is always toughness. I mean, you gotta be tough. The best players were always tough. Brady hung his hat on jumping right back up after he got hit. Ben Johnson's been all over Kleb about body language when you get hit. Shador's tough, so he brings that to the table. And then there's just a natural feel to his game. I mean, he's a pretty accurate player and his two you know, definitely the first touchdown I think is when he was rolling left like that's an instinctive, layered throw. But he is not alone. He is with a large group of players. There are a ton of guys that were drafted on the third day all over the league that, guess what, are gonna go on to be really good players. Some will be Hall of famers Richard Sherman, Jason Kelce in this class that will be household names. And then there are a ton of guys drafted in the first, second, and third round who are not going to be any good, who within a couple two, three, four years will not be on their team and will be considered bus and not good draft picks. It's the NFL now. Chador is the headliner, but like again his own team, his own team took another quarterback two rounds above him, and the reason Shador was there in the fifth and you and I have talked about that you mentioned the Giants, so the bad teams that the interactions were weird. He wouldn't talk with the good teams. So the good teams that all have quarterbacks, obviously they would have been interested if they had good interactions. They're like, he won't talk to we don't know, we have no interaction. Every player beside the cop to up two, three, four guys Travis Hunter and a Duel Carter might not talk to Andy Reid and the Bills, right, but most every other player does. Yeah, right, Look at Trayvon Henderson, the good running back for the Patriots. They have a sweet run back. The other day, I guarantee talked to every single team in the league, and every team felt good. Obviously, he got draft from the second he could argued he could have gone twenty. If he had fallen the forty five, every team would have been interested in the guy like that, and they talked to him. But Shador wasn't talking to everybody. So as he's falling in the draft, good teams are passing on him. Good teams seed backup quarterbacks. But they're like, and this is what I heard, we just don't know him. He wouldn't talk to a quarterback. But most of these guys, I think a lot of scouts did not think he was a first round pick. I do agree, like that was a narrative, that's true, but most people thought he was a pretty good college football Yeah, like he's better than most, Like should have gone somewhere second, third, fourth, You know, it's a pretty A lot of guys can go in the second. If they don't, sometimes they go in the fourth. It's not that crazy. He clearly had a little larger of a drop and it was one preseason game and everyone acting like he's John Elway. Let's pump the brakes a little bit. But you've given your opportunity. You take advantage. And I get from the fan base and you and I were talking about this over the weekend. They're not gonna have much of a rope with no one wants to watch Kenny Pickett take us now. Joe Flack was forty years old, Dylan Gabriel is already injured. Listen.
Speaker 2: I think it was a great night for Cleveland because I my prediction has been Shadur becomes the backup, they trade Kenny Pickett for a sixth or a seventh, and then Dylan Gabriel gets behind Shadur because the fans, I mean, if they go zero to four, Shador is gonna get play. The fans are gonna want it. And Haslam listens to sports talk radio. He's very much connected to the media. He is listening to his fans. I mean, he's the guy that said he drafted Johnny Manziel because he talked to a and his words, a homeless guy. So it's like Haslim is very much connected to his fan base. And so I and I think Chadeure and I said this from the beginning, Dion that had no favors. He really butchered the pre draft stuff. He's not talented enough to just say I'm not talking to you. He's not that. I mean, Cam Newton's one of the few. You're like, Cam's gonna get drafted. Big, tall, fast, Strong may have been the most dominant SEC player I've ever seen when the SEC was clearly the best conference. But I mean the Big twelve, you know, stunk and Shadour didn't win a lot of games. But as you said, most of that stuff falls by the wayside that there's been a I mean, listen, if you can play in this league, they've forgiven felons like they forgive a lot. So in my take is I still think he's a little too unseerious for me. I think his judgment is not a strength. But when you watch him play, and this is why fans get excited, I thought he was comfortable, looking like he just feels kind of comfortable just slinging it in the red zone. He's not frenetic, he didn't have nervous feet. He just kind of plays and he looked like, Okay, it's fine.
Speaker 1: I don't know Stefanski personally, but I know I've been around coaches and know a lot of them, and I know the way they think. Just because he makes plays like people would be like, why don't start them week one? Well, coach would be like, well he doesn't know the playbook yet or all of it. Right, They're not comfortable enough, he's not ready. It's an easy thing for him to say. Fans never want to hear that. Honestly, a lot of times the front office will dumb it down. Give him ten plays because you said zero to four. I just pulled up their schedule. They're playing the Bengals week one at home. Let's just say in this hypothetical world they're down seventeen to nothing at halftime to the Bengals week one, they would start chanting his name. And this also gets back to my theory of like, I don't believe Jimmy has them for a second when he's like, yeah, I never thought we would draft him. It was just up to those two guys. Because these coaches part of the reason they probably weren't that interested in the sense once they draft Dhillan Gabriel because it does bring this Yeah, this is we're talking preseason two touchdowns and what he should start week one, and they go, he's a fifth round pick. And they'd also say if we didn't take them, who the hell was gonna take them. There's also it looks like a lot of people were lined up to take them.
Speaker 2: There's a te Bow thing here, but Shadur can actually play like like like t bows. Sure, yeah, and Tebow got overdrafted Shadure, Let's be honest, he was underdrafted in the fifth round. So so Tebow was overdrafted but couldn't play, and Shador was underdrafted and actually can.
Speaker 1: Play a little bit.
Speaker 2: I mean to me, I I think you know that's the downside. Bill Parcels used to say, don't be a celebrity quarterback. Everybody's a celebrity. Now what you don't want Now it's morphed into you don't want a celebrity backup. You don't want Kaepernick Tebow right, Johnny manzel Er sur is a backup, So that will be Cam like Cam Belichick's like, we love you. But they just chose Mac Jones. So it used to be you don't want a celebrity quarterback. It's over nil. It's Caleb's a celebrit I'm sorry. The conference is the TV ratings are huge, so that will be his issue. But I think if you're a Browns fan, whether you're gonna keep him or move him, I thought it was a great night, you should be excited. It's really fun. And I think he moved himself into number two. I think Stefanski sees the value. They want to accumulate picks for next year's draft. You can get something. I think for Kenny.
Speaker 1: Pickett, well, to me, I've never been a Cannie Pickt guy. I've always just as a player in general. Before he's on the Browns, I just assume Flacco was gonna be the week one starter because he did a couple of years ago and now he head coach likes him. There are some people saying, like, trade him, right, get trade them to the Rams. You know, if Stafford was or whoever, there is no way after that performance Jimmy Haslam is allowing a trade even if he ends up not being good, they're not probably not gonna be very good, and he's gonna get a ton of starts, and they're gonna get a front row seat, and who knows, maybe they get lightning in a bottle. He's actually pretty solid and they don't you have to use, you know, their picks on a quarterback. But there is no way. It is. It's a wasted conversation to be like they should trade him somewhere else. There is no way Jimmy Haslam is because he goes, well, we're not going to be that good. At least if we got Shador Samuels, Sanders and Miles Garrett maybe trying to be defensive Player of the Year. Even if we win five six games, at least we're one of the main stories in the league. It's it's got a little Jerry Jones quality to it, doesn't it. It does okay, So Dolphins Bears. I watched almost the entire game today, so this is what I thought was interesting. So I've said this now for this has been kind of one of my off season rams. What Mike McDaniel is smart. I don't doubt it. The media loves him. He almost looks like a sports writer. He almost talks like when he's sort of snarky, not the coolest guy in the room.
Speaker 2: But my question was always can he create a culture? Same with Lincoln Riley. By the way, I know they're smart. I know they're good play designers and play callers, but a big part of football Dan Campbell, Nick Sirianni, Pete Carroll, hell Andy Reid is Shanahan creating toughness and culture. So the quotes from Joe Shadd, who covers them, used to be at ESPN. Good guy Joe Shadd said today, Mike McDaniel played starters today and the reason was he is emphasizing listen to this culture, physicality and accountability. This so Mike McDaniel's hearing it, and this has been my knock on the Dolphins. Like Caleb didn't play, We can talk about that in a second. Tua did and I think Mike McDaniel is seeing what people like me and you have said for a year. What are you You can't build football programs on speed on the perimeter. In the Chiefs build theirs on Creed Humphrey, Joe Tooney at the time, Mahomes, Andy Reid and Travis Kelsey. You built in out. You can find speed, it's hard to find great centers and quarterbacks and great interior alignment and left tackles. And so I think Mike McDaniel's, to his credit, is knowledging. You know, the culture here feels broken. We were the fastest team in the league, but it didn't get us anything. And I appreciate him acknowledging it. But playing starters is a message. It seems to me.
Speaker 1: Well, I've always been a believer. I mean there's some sayings in football that you could walk into every building and you know, looks like Tarzan plays like Jane in one scouting term. And I think this works to this too, is you know, a leperd doesn't change its spots. I think when a coach, you know, Pete Carroll, talks about this, he realized he tried to change and it blew up in his face, and he had to say true to who he was. Remember when he like studied with John Wooden and he got the USC job. He's like, I'm a fun, happy guy. I'm not Belichick. Belichick is a grumpy guy. They're very authentic to themselves. But toughness, they don't have to fake that. It's part of the way they practice. It's part of the way they think about football. You go around most of the top coaches, Sean McDermott, Dan Campbell, they're just tough guys. They don't ever have to fake. Like I don't think you can just manipulate, snap your fingers and go. Because I somehow I bought why I'm on the plane, I realized the Bear game about to kick off, I get Wi Fi on my phone, and then I realized I actually wanted on my iPad, So somehow I ended up spending fifty dollars on internet. I'm watching, but I'm watching the game, and the broadcaster says that, you know, one thing McDaniel's doing has been making them run gassers after practice, really trying to That's like something the brand new college coach does. Like some of these guys were on your team last year that they see you, Mike, like, you're not a tough guy. That's okay, but you got to do what you do at an elite level two years ago. The one thing they mentioned today on the broadcast that I didn't realize how bad their offense was last year, and part of that was too it got injured. Two years ago they were really good. I mean, they've had some really good offenses under him. But like accountability and toughness, those come from your head coach and the players you select. But you can't just like snap your finger and do that. Kyle Shanahan and Andy Reid and McVeigh, their teams are tough. I mean Andy is an old old squaffens whyman, the other two guys are younger, whatever, But because they practice tough and they've done that since both those two guys showed up in twenty seventeen. Right, Kevin O'Connell, I'll give him credit. I don't know if I view him as a tough guy right, kind of more of a bougie quarterback. But what does he do hires Brian Flores, Yeah, like, we're gonna be fucking tough. So it's like the toughness goes on Flores, who is a tough guy. There's no faking it. He doesn't. The accountability comes from the tone that is set on defense. Jim Harbaugh and John they are tough guys. They also always hire tough defensive coordinators. So you just can't Mike. I just think that, like, Mike, you're not a tough guy. And it's been too long now in your program. If it had been like year one, you got some players out of there, It's like, okay, what's year He's on your four. I don't think that's possible. Now. I give him credit, like, Okay, we're gonna start and play our starters. On the flip side, I don't know if you saw some of the quotes of Ben Johnson, like we're gonna get our work pregame and we're gonna get our work tomorrow. I think nationally televised game. This wasn't like seven other preseason games going on. There was only one. He wanted no part. It could have gone well. But also if it goes bad, then that Trump's Caleb or Shador is the number one story in the NFL. Tomorrow. You're leading your show with it. We can't even talk about Caleb because no one's on play. Meanwhile, Tua, who let's face it, if Caleb is as good as Tua in terms of efficiency and solid, the Bears would be pretty damn happy this season, right, and two is out there playing and he's making a ton of money and Caleb's on the sideline, which I don't I mean, Caleb doesn't control that, But that was I think Ben Johnson, which I give him credit. He's been coaching them hard, He's he has been running an accountability toughness program from the jump, but I think he realized, like, look at the schedule, everyone's watching our game. If word have gone out, Caleb's about to start even more people are tuning into that thing, and he didn't even want to risk it, which I understand, but I also think it shows you that still a great unknown what we're getting. Week one, I.
Speaker 2: Think they practiced, didn't have an inner squad practice to Bears and the Dolphins. I thought I read they did, and it was really physical and there were a couple of moments where the Bears the Dolphins felt the Bears had delivered, you know, some late hits or a little over physicality. And so there's another reason Ben Jonson's like, you know, Andy Reid.
Speaker 1: Because two, I think Tua got chubbed to the ground or something, right, Yeah, and so you know you've told me this is is.
Speaker 2: Andy Reid will not do those intersquad practices. He doesn't want anybody seeing any of his stuff. And Shanahan never done one, never done one. Andy's like, you're not going to get a look at anything we're doing, or our players or our draft picks. You don't get a look at any of it. And then Shanahan will only do one practice. And I think have you talked about that theory before?
Speaker 1: Why? Well, Kyle, I guess said this the other day and I was like, actually, it kind of makes a lot of sense. He thinks the second day of these joint practices, which a lot of these teams now are just doing the one yes, and then some of them don't even play their starters in that game because whoever loses Day one, Binn Squad, Well, you're usually practicing, you know, sometime before lunch, you have a meeting and stuff in the afternoon where you break up and your position coach are lighting you up. So what are you gonna do the next day after getting lit up? In the position meeting, the group meeting, and then maybe even the morning meeting. You're gonna come out with your hair on fire and that can lead to fights. And listen, you get fights in the one off practice. But he said the day two practices can get a little out of control. And I was like, yeah, it actually makes some sense. Whoever kind of quote unquote loses and who knows it could be like one group won this one, the other group loss this one on different teams, and he's got melee's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think I think Ben Johnson also looked at that, and you know, we had a pretty good practice. I'm not putting Caleb Bollot. I mean, I think there are a lot of factors. But in the end, a team can't. You have to you and I have talked about this in our job. You have to give the fans meet in the sandwich. You can't just do fluff. Miami's been fluff. Hey we're fast, Hey we got multiple sets. There's no meat in the sandwich. Wilkins has gone on the d line, who I thought was really good offensive line gets pushed around last several years. But hey we're fast. So I do think it's interesting that he is acknowledging Joe Shadd's article Stronger culture, more accountability. At some point the Tyreek Hill thing. The really smart organizations and businesses in my life can see trouble before it happens. And the Chiefs moved off Tyreek Hill just about the time he was the most talked about player in the league, and they got comfortable saying, you know what this could go. I mean because Tyreek his personality, he's been in trouble multiple times. And not that Kansas City doesn't have Rashid Rice's issue. I mean, they've got their own issues. But I think I look at that trade and I remember the reaction when the Dolphins got Tyreek Hill, and I remember being on the air on FS one and I said, all those draft picks to Brett Veach, they're going to be just fine, and they have it.
Speaker 1: And they drafted two of the two of the better players on their team in Trent McDuffie and Karloftis Yeah right. I mean, those two guys have changed the team. I also think we were when we got home, yes stay from the live thing, and we had the Dolphins or the Vikings game on for the entire third quarter the highest paid wide receiver Justin Jefferson was miked up with their crew and just having a good time, and you're like, this guy feels like he's pretty easy to be around. Yes, And one theme that coming out of Dolphins camp is that relationship of the stuff Tyreek said after the season in two like, no, we're not just all good. You don't just and then I just saw a headline right before we jumped on that you know, teams are sniffing around about trading for him, Like what teams like a really good team? Now maybe you never know. I would never like McVeigh might just go, yeah, we'll do it. But I bet there are some good, well run teams that are like, we're not even messing with, not even worth it unless you eat so much money where if it doesn't work, we can just cut him immediately something like that. But he went from being a really good asset a couple of years ago, I mean even when Miami got him, he's putting up huge numbers to now I bet there are a lot of Super Bowl contenders that are like, yeah, we wouldn't even be in that business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Travis Hunter will be the athlete of note in that state. It will not be Tyrey killed going forward. UFC three nineteen. This is exciting, is blowing back to the Windy City for the first time in six years. Check out the Fight Card United Center all the action at DraftKings Sportsbook, the official sports betting partner of the UFC. So if you've never bet the UFC before, on DraftKings, just pick something simple, pick a fighter to win. Make your pick that easy. So it's UFC three nineteen in Chicago. You download the Draft King Sportsbook app. You put in the code colin New customers get two hudred bucks in bonus bets and you get it immediately, and all you have to do is bet five bucks. UFC three nineteen. It's going to be a wild card only on DraftKings.
Speaker 3: Yours gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight hope and wire text hope and y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut. Help is available for a problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting Kansas twenty one and over agent Eligibility varies by jurisdiction BOYD and Ontario. Bonus bets expires seven days after issuance. Four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNG dot co slash audio.
Speaker 2: So you and I had a long discussion watching the Jets and the Packers last night over at Tito's, and we we probably spent an hour just you and I before my crazy in laws came over. And one of the things you talked me into is, I've said all off season I don't know what the heck to do with the Packers. They won double digit games last year, and Jordan Love was hurt early and didn't play great late. Okay, but I was thinking about this when I woke up and you went to the airport, and I was.
Speaker 1: Thinking about this.
Speaker 2: I'm like Detroit's coordinators, their replacements really worry me. Chicago's offense in Kleb really worries me. JJ McCarthy. I don't think there's any question that Viking staff is just trying to build his confidence up. The whole camp is about his confidence. I think I'm gonna take that. Even though the Packers got boat raced by the Jets, I think I'm gonna end up before we get to JJ McCarthy. I think I'm gonna take the Packers. They've had a quiet offseason, and I think that stuff matters. I mean, you've got an Alliance team that will not be as good because they lost two of the best coordinators, whether Aaron Glenn and Ben Johnson hit his coaches, they were great coordinators. You know, Aaron Glenn had a top ten defense. They had like four starters out. I mean interesting, you know, in an offensive division, and I just I think you've talked me into it is And McIntyre has been on this too. Good coach Jordan loves healthy. Green Bay is probably gonna win that division.
Speaker 1: Well, you wrote the Lions off after the Hall of Fame game. I'm out. I wouldn't go that far though. The theme of losing those two guys, I mean the Hall of Fame game, I get. I mean they did look bad, but I do think losing those two guys what Aaron Glenn brought to the table in terms of emotion, let alone the scheme. I mean, he was kind of the heartbeat of that team and then bend the brains. It's just how do you replace that, right? I mean it's like any industry, any business, losing two employees at that high level, even if you hit on one of the two, there's gonna be a you know, probably a dramatic drop off on one of them. And if it's the offense, that would be a big blow to Detroit because offensively, that's really where they separated. You know. I do think Minnesota has a better roster removed so obviously than the Packers. And you could argue, beside the Eagles in the NFC, no one's even on their level. You could argue, minus the quarterbacks, they're right there with the Eagles. I mean, they got a pretty special roster. But I just think there's something about the Packers. I mean, we're talking about it. I didn't even quite realize. You know, you live by the lake, and then you kind of pull the map and you see that Green Bays not really that far, and then I realized, I get why the Bears are so jealous of the Packers. You got the big one of the great cities in the world, and you got this little town up the road, and they've been kicking the Bears ass for thirty years, and now they're on their third quarterback it's one thing, it's like, okay, far if I get it, we'll tip our hat to you. Then you get Rogers like we're really gonna have to take this for fifteen years. And now you get Jordan Love who he had a couple throws yesterday. His talent is as you get Jacob's there. Their offensive line is always good, they're highing this young quarterback. Their defense is now good. They're just that program that they're never going to be sexy, like you know, like they're Ohio State football or you know what Andy Reid was early with Mahomes and that we don't talk about them like that post. But last year they won eleven games, and they won one in the Division one one and their quarterback got hurt week one, which had to throw them off a little bit, even though they won the next couple weeks with Malik Willis, which to me shows their coach is pretty good. You know, their coach is pretty He's unlike Kevin O'Connell, like he's won some playoff games. So I won the gambling values there. I mean, you're getting like two and a half to one to win the division. Google how many times they've won the Division The last three years. I mean, they just do it a lot. I do think there's some internal pressure now that they got that Murphy guy. The president who kind of works as the owner is now Carmen Policy's son, Ed's in charge. So I mean this is a very like there's some of the line for Goodikins and Lafleur in a weird way because they have a new boss. I just think they're flying under the radar. I mean, all we do is talk about the Bears and the Vikings because their new quarterbacks. No one talks about.
Speaker 2: The Packers, you know, and there's a lot of different ways to win. In Philadelphia. We don't think they have the best head coach, but they have the best roster. In Long Ange, Angelus, we don't think they have the best roster, but we love the quarterback and the coach. You know, Green Bay, it's continuity. The division's got all sorts of turmoil, losing coordinators in Chicago, can't get the quarterback, right, is JJ McCarthy right? It just continuity is it's I don't even know the comp IBM like Microsoft, Microsoft has been great.
Speaker 1: It missed on the phone.
Speaker 2: There have been moments, but you look up and you're like, yeah, Ai, Microsoft's good. Green Bay has been really ahead of the curve on quarterbacks. They draft them early. They never draft offensive linemen in the first round. I couldn't tell you the best offensive line. And you and I talked about this.
Speaker 1: These stwords.
Speaker 2: A book written years ago called maybe thirty years ago, called The Millionaire next Door, and it was about how many people live next door to you. They pay off their home, they have a four to oh one K. They live under their means, and they're millionaires and they don't have huge salaries. And that really is the Packers. They're missing a barstool leg right. They don't have that free agent leg Whereas a Philadelphia a Miami, at certain places there are people want to go play in La Devonte. Adams didn't take, didn't have to arm wrestle them to get them to Sean McVay and Stafford in the Rams right, like green Bay didn't have that. So they have to draft and develop, like the school teachers have to be smart with their money to become millionaires in Green Bay when you're forced. I don't think it's a coincidence that both New York teams are a bit of a mess. Why because they have great game day revenue, they've got great local radio, TV advertising revenue, and they take big swings and they don't do their homework. Green Bay does their homework. And I just I look at this organization and their continuity, their intelligence, their development. They almost develop like a really good college program. They really developed.
Speaker 1: And in my comp you know a lot of times in college football, the underling goes and as a coach somewhere else, right, like Sark's not at Alabama, right, Lane Lane Kiffin's not at Alabama. Typically these guys go off. I mean honestly, when they tried to replace Pete Carroll didn't go well. But in basketball, think about when Roy Williams replaced Steen Smith finally because he just knew what worked in that program. Or John Schier now with coach k Like, there is a blueprint in that program that they know works. Gutikins was taught from Ted Thompson, who was taught from run Wolf. Like, there is a consistent theme in that organization that has never changed, which is pretty rare when you have turnover like the Eagles. How he's been there for decades, right, so it's him. But when you look at like the Ravens. They went from Ozzie to DaCosta, so they have thought the you know, a very similar path. You'd even go from Kevin Colbert to Omar Kahan now with the Steelers, like he's he was taught under that. It's pretty rare because a lot of times you fire someone, you bring in the best teams executive, right, That is not what is happening with the Backers for decades. So there is connections. Like Gutikins can tell story that Ron Wolf told Ted Thompson about what they did in nineteen ninety four with Reggie White and Brett Farver trading for this guy or cutting this guy, and that is pretty rare. Like John Lynch can't tell stories of stuff that happened with Bill Walsh, like the personnel moves in nineteen eighty nine were less snead with Mike Martz and Dick for Meal back in nineteen ninety nine. It's just that's pretty rare. And I think that's the only reason that this little town a couple hours above you sitting right now dominates these big cities, because you and I are sitting there going god, Minnesota is a well run franchise. It's just I know, they've never won the super Bowl in the modern era. They just they've gotten closed. They've had awesome team, they've been good, most of them. The Kansas the kid.
Speaker 2: And if Mahomes goes to the Chiefs, if Mahomes goes to the Vikings, not the Chiefs, because Kansas City has always had good quarterbacks. They won Hanks stran Len Dawson, But Kansas City always had good coaches, good quarterbacks. They drafted well, a lot of great players. I mean, ray Lewis always told me he hated playing the Chiefs. With Willie Rove, Tony Gonzali raised like I hated playing the Chiefs.
Speaker 1: Their O line was unbelievable.
Speaker 2: If Mahomes goes to the Vikings not the Chiefs, you'd be like, yeah, well, they were always well run. They just have never landed. They thought it was Dante Culpepper. They thought it was Kirk Cousins, you know, Sam Fran Tarkin and was good back in the seventies, running around one of the first like five eleven six foot quarterbacks out of Georgia. But they just have never like consistently had you know, they got far for a couple of years and they were a player two away from the Super Bowl. So I tend to just I tend to look at Minnesota respectfully, Like the Twins can't compete in Major League Baseball. The t Wolves weren't always well run. The Vikings have been well run since Bud Grant always.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that's a knock right on the Bears. Ownership's cheap, that's a fact. The Packers, I mean, they haven't had one, but they've had a unique infrastructure. And the Lions, up until Dan and Brad Holmes got there, were the running joke of the NFL. And the Vikings just even look back like Kirk Cousins. Kirk Cousins ever gone to the Hall of Fame. He's going to the Hall of Fame of Bank Accounts for doing what he pulled off. But they signed Kirk Cousins and they were just good. And they beat Drew Brees in a playoff game a couple of years ago. They hosted a playoff game which they lost the Giants, but they had a really good record. Like they're just well run. And I think, you know, we were watching some of the highlights. You know, it's hard in these preseason games, like Chador played a lot, right, he gets twenty three attempts.
Speaker 2: Most of these guys at seven get a series.
Speaker 1: And then they're out sis like they went three to seven. It's hard. JJ definitely has some physical attributes. And you know, I've been I guess on the negative side, and I started thinking, listen, maybe he doesn't even have to be that great. Their team's so good if he is just the twentieth best quarterback, has some games where he's the tenth, has a couple of clunkers, but.
Speaker 2: They could win a couple of games where his comp to me is brought Purdy is that he inherits Kyle Shanahan, He gets Christian McCaffrey, a Trent Williams, George Kittling, all these receivers. If he and so do you think brock Purdy does that if he goes to tone deaf offensive Pittsburgh. No, he doesn't do that, but he as he's learning the game behind Garoppolo. Garoppolo gets hurt. You're like, oh, Brock's got you know, three years, four years of college starts. He was ready to play. JJ's issue is brock Purdy played at Iowa State. He trailed a lot. He got hit a lot. He didn't play with great players. JJ McCarthy is like a trust fund kid, like he never got punished, he never got pushed, he never trailed. Life was never hard. So but I believe like Brock when he inherits the job after Garoppolo's injury, just don't run the Mercedes into the tree in the driveway. The truth is, Minnesota's roster is like Denver. It's way better than people we pay attention to Philadelphia or Baltimore. I'm telling you right now. Minnesota left tackle like running backs, receiving crew, edge rushers like Minnesota stacked.
Speaker 1: You could make the argument that the best two rosters in the NFL are the Eagles in the Minnesota Vikings, and then the AFC ones the top guy, you know, like the Ravens or the Chiefs. I think most people consider the Ravens top to bottom. Typically you're in, you're out the best roster. That's why they kind of disappointed sometimes when they let down. Even last year when the Bills beat him, You're like, I don't think the Bills are as good as a race. They just win that game or not. But that's the thing with the Minnesota They have had. I'd even go back to a decade ago with Mike Zimmer. I mean they had excellent players with Spielman was the GM. They always have impact Pro Bowl guys and it just comes down Cousins wasn't quite good enough right now. The difference is they got Cousins a little older. He already had some scar tissue. He had some true limitations. It had to be in the pocket. He couldn't add lip. One of the I mean his best throw of the day, I don't even win did he play yesterday morning or yesterday afternoon? Was that rolling to his left. He has physical attributes that I think part of the reason they got off Cousins. I mean, obviously you had the achilles, but even when he was healthy, they were true limitations. Like with GoF they can't move, and let's a coach wants pretty bails Kyle out sometimes just because he's got some athleticism right, and that's gonna be an element that can help him out, especially early on. You can get him layups, moving around. They got the best wide receiver in the league. I think Addison got suspended. He was thwing him a couple of times. Just fair. I mean he is I mean when he's on him, it's that's pretty damn good those two guys. Yeah, so and then they got it. They have added offensive lineman. They can really run the ball. To me, that's what Kyle Kevin O'Connell needs to kind of lean on Early. That's the easiest way to take a little pressure off the kid. Early run the ball a little bit and just helped him out. But he does like the pass. You know, he got confident in san donoald Early. He's like, let it rip. Because I've said it forever. His comp is not Kyle Shanahan as Sean mcvah Andy Reid. He wants to bomb at fifty times a game. You know, Kyle would rather win. Kyle would have no problem going thirteen and five and leading the league in rushing and average his quarterback averaging nineteen attempts a game. That is not how McVeigh. Definitely, Andy Reid and I would put Kevin O'Connell in that bucket, which I don't blame it. We all got our different philosophies, but you got to be careful with a young quarterback, you know, calling passes NonStop early in games on first down, cause if it goes wrong, it can it. He got a little bit of a pass. I thought last year. I'm not saying Sam Darnoble was perfect, and obviously he played bad, especially in the Detroit game, but in the playoff game, he could have settled down the game a little bit and ran the ball and he just refused to call runs. And I think that, But that's back to McDaniel. You can't hide who you are as a coach, no different than you know you approach a radio show up podcast certain ways, like everyone has their own styles and you kind of stay true to that, especially the older and more success you have. So that that to me, I'm going to be fascinated watching that early on, like how he treats this, Like is he cool starting the season four and one but only having him average let's say twenty pass attempts a game, and really like we're going to try to lead the league in rushing in September, because that's how he should be talking, just even if he's bullsh on the player in practice, just to ease his start into the year. I mean last year with Caleb it was like throwing nonstops, like this is not gonna work, guys, This is unfair to the guy.
Speaker 2: So I thought it was interesting. Apparently Jim Harbaugh loved Brian Thomas, the receiver that went to Jacksonville, who was great as a rookie. But he drafted Joe Alt. And they had a great left tackle in Shaan Slater. But and Alt was the best tackle in the draft. So Harbaugh drafts Joe Alt. He was inconsistent. But I was told inside the building that they thought Alt was going to be a pro Bowl level right tackle this year. Now Slater now gets hurt season ending injury. Heartbreaking for the kid. Great player. My guess is they moved Alt over the left and then they you know, they've got multiple guys that can play right. But I thought it, and they I thought, once again, this is where Harbaugh's really smart. Everybody wanted them to take a receiver. Remember they'd lost Keenan Allen, They'd lost Mike Williams. Everybody in the world thought it was a wide receiver. The Bears to Roma Dunze, right, the Bears could have used an offensive linement. Let's be honest, the Bears didn't need Roma Dunzee. They could use Joe Alt last year in the offensive line Harbaugh gets Joe Alt, and a year later it's prescient. I mean you look at it and you're like, oh shit, if they didn't draft Joel, where would they beat today? Lad mcconky's excellent. Keenan Allen comes back, he'll be your classic, you know, forty eight catches, sixty catches, third down guy. But it goes back to Harbaugh's the opposite of Mike McDaniel everywhere he goes. I remember Stanford. I can remember his second year at Stanford. People are like, they're not any good, but they're the most physical team in the Pac ten. They went into USC and the Coliseum as a forty point dog in one, and they were beating on us like they were physical. And I think it goes when we bang on a Mike McDaniel, it's like Harbor.
Speaker 1: Is always true to who he is.
Speaker 2: So even though the Rashawn Slater injury is brutal, the Joel Alt draft pick to some degree saves them.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, Yeah, I mean, it's why they always say you get you can't draft for need. You got to draft the best player available, and a left tackle is always should be more valuable than a wide receiver I mean it was always if he's good, don't always yeah yeah, and they nailed that. I do think they'll big picture, like everyone's saying that he's like he's gonna take Molik neighbors, Like, guys, have you not followed this guy's career. But a huge reason I was bullish on him last year. I even if I don't think they're gonna be as good as some teams, like I don't put them on the top tier in the AFC, I would bet on them being good again. This is a pretty big blow because their team is roster wise, is not as sexy as the other guys they're chasing. And a huge point of you know, kind of where they separate is they have, you know, the best tackle duo in the league, and now they add backed in like they were going to be so physical and we know Jim Jim Will I have no problem rushing it literally every play and he could win go seventeen to zero and win every game nine to seven, and he'd be the happiest guy in America. But I think anytime that you lose a guy in the Domino effect, because like, okay, you move him to left tackle, that means your right tackle gets worse. Do you try to move back into right tackle, that means your guard gets worse, Like it's a domino effect. Even though it's a it's the best situation given that they drafted Joe Walt that if you're going to lose a star left tackle, you have a replacement. But it has a huge blow. And even they signed Nasie Harris like they're going to pound two running backs and he messed up his eye. Clearly can't do anything, you know. I mean, he's it's not good. I mean, I'm not very I wouldn't be bullish on him starting the season early. I mean, he clearly is not even close to practicing. So I think the Chargers are just in a weird spot. Now they got Jim Harbod their floor is so high they could have a season from hell and win eight games. But I think that was not just to devastating injury. My dad again, he was a fifty year old guy, Taurus battel attendant when he was like fifty years old, and it was never the same. That is not an acl that that is not a broken arm or broken leg. That is the devastating knee injury. So that's that scary big picture too, especially because you know cap wise they just invested. I mean, I think in a I'm not trying to be doomsday or here, but you almost have to say, this might never be the same with this individual player. So now, luckily Jim Harbaugh is you know, might as well be an offensive line guy, so he'll be able to figure something out. But you usually don't replace you know, even if you can replace left tackle, then the right tackle. The drop off at that position, you could argue from a high end tackle to the backup is almost like a quarterback. It's a precipitous drop off. The backup is typically in a different stratus.
Speaker 2: Fuld than that. It goes back to George Young, the late great general manager of the New York Giants, and Paul Brown and George Young. There are people that just you know, Ted Thompson in Green Bay, like had a theory on drafting and he used to call it the planet theory George Young did, which was there are only so many six six, three hundred and twenty five pound men annually born in America eventually to become that that have good feet and are really really have long arms. Like I've always said, after quarterback left tackle is I mean I would take a great left tackle over Michael Parsons. I mean I would, I wouldn't. I mean outside of a Lawrence Tales, Miles Garrett, not even hesitation because the man upstairs, I'm not overly religious, but the man upstairs makes a lot of six four, two hundred and seventy pound guys who could run fast and rush the passer. There's a there's a surplus. Almost every team's got somebody who's really good at the edge. There's six good left tackles in the game. And if the thirty best of all time, I think twenty seven were drafted in the first round, like they don't show up in a city you can get brought Purty in the seventh and Kurt Owner undrafted, you know, Antonio Gates, and not a lot of great left tackles all time that went in even the fourth round. So to lose Rashawn Slater, who I think was the eleventh, twelve, thirteenth pick, it's it's a devastating blow.
Speaker 1: I also think, if I wanted to argue the other side, part of the reason that Jim Harbaugh is worth so much and his value is so high is because no one in their right mind could get in front of a team and give a speech like we're gonna be okay. But that's what you have to do in his role. Especially it's when did he get hurt? August sixth, I mean, we got a long way to go here. We're a month out from week one, and I think he's good enough because, let's face it, he's a little psychotic. He's this kind of crazy in a weird way and optimist. He's a very optimistic human being that he could get up there and still breathe light in like Mike McDaniel, Dude, do I think like? I mean, it's shown when Tua goes down, they just implode because whatever he's saying, no one believes them. If you told me Herbert missed a month, I'd be like, I bet Jim could go to and two because he can just instill some confidence that no one has. And that's where the Chargers finally opening the checkbook for a high end coach. It's valuable for this. So this is a year that a bad coach could just implode and you go six and eleven, but wouldn't shock anyone if the Chargers are just like the grittiest nine to eight team in the league because of Jim. That's you know, when it's like it shouldn't be this way. Their offensive line, like they maybe have to rotate some tackles whoever's filling in for all spot, and it's like they just kind of figure it out and they just kind of tough their way there. They win a couple of games like fifteen to thirteen. I mean, they're gonna do that even when they're really good one day. But this is where Jim's value comes in in moments like this.
Speaker 2: Let's finish it up. Talking about Jackson Dark So I thought he was more of a second or third round pick. Good looking kid. I watched a lot of them at ole Miss used to be at USC. He's got a nice arm, and I was kind of like, go either way on him. And then I watched him play Florida in Gainesville and that was a big game for ole Miss and he just didn't play well at all. And I'm like, Okay, that's a big spot. You got to play better than that. And I mean, people have bad games, but that wasn't. Elaine Kiffin lost, Like it was just a bad game. And so I'm like, you know, he's probably a late second. So the Giants who got into a rough spot it's New York, and I think they reached a little bit because the people I had talked to liked Jackson Dart but thought he was high second round. He went late first. Whatever, it's quarterback. You and I are both okay, reach out of quarterback. So he played pretty well twelve nine team had a couple of really nice throws. He moves pretty well. I mean, he wasn't severely overdrafted, especially with a position. But here's the interesting thing. So next year's a very good quarterback draft class. This year, the Giant schedule is the toughest in the league, especially the first eight weeks. My guess is this is why I didn't like drafting Jackson Dart. If you don't play him, can you draft another quarterback with a top pick? You're better off playing Russ. He gets you know, he takes the criticism. I would keep the coach, but the GM gets fired that the owner will probably move both out and you start over again with a new quarterback. So could I make this argument just play Jackson Dart after about week three? If you look at the schedule, there'll be an underdog. I think in their first eight weeks they could be an underdog each week. Play Russell the first couple, appease him and go with Jackson Dart at least then next year you can say, listen, we gave the kid a run, we think he's a great back, or somebody likes him and goes. But my take is, having Russell play the first eight weeks, you're going to draft another quarterback with the first pick of Jackson. I mean Arizona had Josh Rosen played him, he struggled. Every buddy bought into we're getting a new quarterback might take it. You can't not play Jackson Dart and then draft a quarterback. Then it looks like a really bad pick. What do you do if you're the Giant's brain trust with Jackson Dart.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not apples to apples because one guy was a fifth round pick and the other guy went like twenty four. But to me, it's got a lot of shade or Sanders. No one's gonna want to watch Russell Wilson after about fifteen snaps. This team's not very good, And if I was a fan, I just wouldn't want to watch Russell Wilson. Now, the difference is Stefanski really likes Flacco. I could see Brian Dave all being out on Russell. And we've seen some other coaches.
Speaker 2: Both Pete and Sean fast.
Speaker 1: Quick and clearly Arthur Smith more than Tomlin wanted to pivot back to justin fields. He wasn't feeling it. So I could see this thing pivoting quick the other thing. And listen, I know the ownership doesn't want to get too involved, but we got to know, so I get this guy fourteen starts. He also likes Shador. These guys played a lot in college, so it's not this is not one of those situations, like you know, Jim Harbaugh just played Trey Lance in the Hall of Fame game, like into the third late in the third quarter. He's just trying to get the kid reps and hopefully like someone likes him. He's third string quarterback, but he's never played how many starts Jackson Dart have in the SEC hell he was starting at USC before he transferred, remember because they had some injuries or I forget exactly the way it played out, but just what are we waiting for? And this is always a personnel thing, you know, with coaching staff, because like, well, he doesn't quite know the offense yet. It's like, well, coach, we're losing forty to ten each week. So the quarterback that knows the offense sure as hell can't run it, so we might as well just go with the young guy. Throw him in. Especially now, and these coaches have talked about it more. These guys are much more prepared coming into the NFL in the sense of they've thrown so much right, so yeah, they you know, is it an easy transition to every offense coming from college. Of course not, but a lot of people have said, you know, Lane's offense has really matured over the years and some of the stuff. That's why they kind of liked him. So I think I would Tree Jackson Dart if I'm one in three boom He's I.
Speaker 2: Would do it.
Speaker 1: The fan base they are going to want no part of Russell Wilson. I mean that. I think the Russell Wilson and Flacco you could get booze week one. If you're down fifteen points at a half time, I think you start getting chance for Shador and Jackson Dart. Do you know, I can see that coming from a mile away.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's ever been a player that has eroded as quickly as Russell Wilson. I mean, I was Team Russ and I knew, you know, I had talked to Greg Cosel on the air and off that I knew he wasn't great from the pocket, but he threw the best rainbow ball.
Speaker 1: He was elusive.
Speaker 2: He was like not as athletic as Kyler Murray, but there was a little bit of Kyler Murray where you're like nobody can get Nobody got a shot on him for years, and because of baseball, he was a great slider, unlike a Lamar Jackson or Michael Vick, who are better athletes but get popped. Like nobody ever hit Russ. And then all of a sudden he goes to Denver and it's like, wow, this is he looked puffy, he almost got stronger. It's like he worked out too much. He got slower, thicker, you know whatever. It was kind of disconnected from reality, like he was Pete Carroll and that defense sort of protected him. And I mean, maybe I just overvalued him, but I don't remember ever in my lifetime a quarterback in two different environments, being criticized by teammates and turning off a legendary head coach quickly, like I don't even know what to make of Russ's career. I don't even have a comp for it.
Speaker 1: In the NFL, he was way better for longer than Deshaun Watson, but their styles were similar. Once you stopped making the place, you're not good within the pocket, and your instincts in terms of avoiding sacks are not great. So they run into a lot of sacks. And remember, for a long time when Russell was still making plays, the offensive line would just get destroyed. And internally, I don't think our offensive line is that bad. He's running into him, but he was making enough to kind of scramble outside the tackle, throw a bomb at an opportune time, and everyone's like superstar. But he was the only guy really playing like that, right. He wasn't doing his work inside the pocket because he couldn't. He's not really a timing and rhythm guy. He's a playmaker. Same with Deshan. The moment that left where they got, they would second guess themselves, so they are steps slower, they run into more sacks. It dissolves fast, and the offense looks all of a sudden, you look like the worst offense in the league. It's not even functionable. And I think Russell, I don't know if his athleticism diminished, you know, in his mid thirties, if he started hesitating after a couple of bumps and bruises, but that playmaking just disappeared overnight. And then he got with a couple of coaches. They're like, Okay, we're not even gonna try to do that play within our offense, and he couldn't do it. And then there's the element of clearly a little different, like his just personality, which works when you're winning. I think can just turn off people because the one thing the NFL has, I think in a locker room with coaching, it's a pretty authentic league, like people are just pretty normal and people just themselves. And I think sometimes when people think you're being fake, even if he's not, because in farness to Russell, he's kind of been the same thing since like Wisconsin, you know, so I don't know if you can put on, uh, you know, uh fake that personality for that long. I think that's just who he is. I just don't think a lot of people in the NFL are like that, so it can't really relate to that. And it's one thing when you're winning, put up with anything. You start losing, it's like, what the hell is this? You know, this is kind of a beer drinking. We've got a lot of chew. We're just a bunch of dudes, and we got this dude saying this stuff that is like, no one talks that. You're talking like a politician or something. You're just a quarterback, bro. Can you just act normal? Even Tom put on the corporate face in front of the mic, then be a guy's guy with grown Kentucky. Yeah, he can just be a dude. And that's where Russell, that's that's why I think some of these guys have turned on them, because some of these guys he's played with in the last couple of years that they weren't around when he was throwing, you know, in twenty seventeen, all these comeback victories. They don't even know that means nothing to them. It's twenty twenty four, twenty twenty five. I think you saw it last year with DeShawn Now he was playing worse, you know. In fairness to Russell, Deshawn's a much worse player the last couple years than Russell Wilson. But once you start playing bad, and I think we're losing because of you. These players, I mean, most guys are not Miles garrett On kind of scholarship for years, like you get cut at any moment you start losing. Jobs are on the line, so people turn on each other quick. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The you know, I was sitting here looking at my notes. We haven't really talked about it, but so they're not playing Matt Stafford. Rams apparently dominated the Cowboys at that practice they had and then they didn't play Matt Stafford, and you know, controlled the Cowboys when they played in the game. And I have said this, the Cowboys I think have one of the weaker staffs. I think the Mica and the Trayvon Diggs noise. These guys don't. They want new deals. And I mean the Rams are playing Stetson Bennett like they're not. They're you know who, by the way, I'm not I mean like disappeared came back. I'll throw this out if I said to you the two bottom teams in the NFL, I think the Giants are going to be one mostly because of their quarterback situation and their center. I actually like some of their players. Their schedules brutal, their schedules absolutely brutal. They're going to go zero and four against probably Washington and Philadelphia at best. They split with Dallas, but I think we would both say the Giants with the schedule, in their quarterback situation, it's going to be pretty dire. We know Cleveland and the Saints could be really bad. Dallas may not have playoff wins over the last thirty years, not many of them. Is it possible they are a three win team? Is it possible?
Speaker 1: I think it's very difficult. If Dak plays a lot of games. If you tell me Dak plays fifteen sixteen games, even really shitty, they're probably winning fifteen or sixteen or I mean five or six games. One things Jerry's proven is they have had guys kind of come out of nowhere overshown. They actually draft pretty well, so they get some guys they nail their first round picks usually yeah, and they get some guys in the mid rounds that are just saw some random guy on defense playing safety that you didn't Who's this Deron Bland guy from SAX State prisone state transfer. They've been a pretty good drafting team. Hard to overcome, you know, a coaching staff if you're right, they don't have one of the good staffs. I mean, this guy was not This guy would not have been a coordinator in the league. Now, some stuff, you know, it's it's perception, it's you know, the buzz of your candidacy. Are you high or you low? That matters in the NFL or college too. And he was obviously not thought of like he once was. But that's a fact. He would not have been a coordinator in the league. You know, Eberflus people think he's a good defensive coordinator. Well, they just re hired him because they knew him, you know, because he was coaching on their staff several years ago. Kind of a classic Jerry thing. Mike had Parsons. We have some I mean, Bosa was it two years ago, set out all camp and just wasn't quite the same that season. You know, even if you're working on your own beside practice in the weight room with the training staff, it's not the same as getting the practice rep. So even if they signed him September first and he plays or I guess they'd probably need to do a little before that because they're playing Thursday night football, But the expectation for him would have to be tempered a little bit. And they they're depending on a ton of young guys on the offensive line and that can be very hit or miss. Yeah, when it hits, it's awesome. We saw the Chiefs kind of doing that last year too, and I was like, whoa, Well, you know, so it's it can flip on you quick. So three fields. I do think they have an infrastructure of guys that have won, Like even when Mike had comes back, he's won a lot of games, Dak Ceedee Lamb. Like, they got some solid players. But I do think he could just be they could be the last place team in the division if if the coach is over his head and they're I mean they're pretty top heavy. I mean, Ceedee Lamb pulls amstring. What the hell are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, George Pickenson, Yeah, I mean I agree with you, and I was a little over the top. I coaching is at least thirty to forty percent of this league. It's a big part because you know the margins is, you know, the average game is decided by four to six points. And I mean Mike McCarthy's a good coach and struggled in close games. I mean they always had too many penalties with Mike McCarthy. They weren't good situationally. Some of that is what you know Dak Cooper rush Dak got banged up. Dak Now and he's never been a great thrower. Dack Now is a pocket quarterback. So my take is the George Picken acquisition could end up being you know, we all looked at it and went, oh boy, oh immature. It may have saved this team because you can't roll your coverage over now to just ceede Lamb. Because George is such a hard physical matchup, with his coaching, with his catching radius. My take is there's always an acquisition, and we look at it was maybe Xavier McKinney for the Packers or somebody when they got him. Didn't the get him with the Giants. You look at you're like, god, damn, he's a good football player. I think the George Pickens thing really ends up kind of at least making the Cowboys a good watch. I mean, I'll watch I want to watch Pickens with Zak. I did I really do I want.
Speaker 1: To watch him with brun Shott Nimers. He listening to him, I mean, he wasn't listening to Mike Tomlins's gonna listen to that guy. I think one Gruden talked about this, Mike Lombardi talked about this those latter years of Al Davis, and it was always probably like this. But when it got really out of control, players knew that when the coordinator the head coach got mad at him, they would just circumvent them and go right to the owner's office because they knew he was in charge if he wanted to of the plays of who got cut like he was, he was very involved in football and he was making all the decisions. That is not the case with all the teams. Right, if you play for the Chiefs, you know who the bosses, Andy Reid, you know you play for the good teams. You know the boss, the head coach, and the GM. You're not circumventing them to the owner right when that happens. Remember when Chip Kelly got fired in Philly, and like some of the players were talking to Jeffrey Lury, it was like, that's never a good sign. You know what you have it you don't hear that In Philadelphia? They know Howie and Sirianne like, if you you got an issue, you go to them, right. And I think that these players, especially the last couple of years, because Jerry in the social media world we live in, he's so out front, he talks so much. They do Mike McCarthy, who had won a Super Bowl and won a ton of games, like, ultimatelybody, you're not the boss, right, We'll go to Jerry if we have an issue, and then and then I'll just become a public thing and it becomes a shit show. I think it's hard to overcome that, and I think they almost did, because, let's face it, like Mike kind of knows what he's doing. He has some limitations, and I you know, he's got exposed a couple times in the playoffs, but he's a pretty good coach. Went twelve games three years in a row with with Jerry, which is not easy to do. Is Brian gonna be able to handle that? Like a what if Mike Parsons doesn't like what Eberflus is telling him. Once he's finally signed, let's go. I mean he's already been meet with Jerry. He just go to Jerry's office, Hey, Jerry, we got this is not Can you talk to Evira Fluis about running this coverage? Because that was a classic thing. Now Al was more involved, like truly with the scheme. But if I was a player and I had if I thought the coach was an idiot, and I had an owner like Jerry, I'd go right up to his officer give him a call, Jerry Steven, this is not going to work for me. And that is a media implosion, And that might be if this team really goes down, that could be something that Dak and his leadership couldn't even overcome. That's where it could really be a problem. And I do think the gap between a Mike McCarthy and Brian Schottenheimer could be like at the forefront, be like, there's a gap between those two guys. And remember last year Mike Dak got injured with the hamstring injury, and I was like, oh, they're fucked. And then as the season went on, you're like, you know, there's pretty respect what they did the way it was just like they're a well run operation. There's a big gap. And we talked about this with Jim Harbaugh. They could be a disaster, but they'll still win eight or nine games, not two or three, right like they did with that year with Brandon Staley when they imploded. Well, the difference between eight and three or four can be a couple of players just quitting on you in October and then all of a sudden you kind of like start questioning yourself and it can't implod. So maybe worst case scenario, you get weird stuff happening in an injury. Players quit on you and don't believe in you. It could be a problem, and that would be Jerry's fault. Jerry's created this. You know, culture gets thrown around a lot, but the culture in Dallas is just Jerry, right. You just kind of do what Jerry wants. Jerry's in control. Mike McCarthy plays out his last season. That was bizarre the way he does. These players, I mean, they're just kind of run right now really unlike all the respectable teams. And you know, for three years with Mike McCarthy, I know, they bombed out the playoff. They were respectable twelve games every year, really good players. But all the other teams they're competing, the Packers, the Niners, all the teams they are losing to They don't operate anything like that with their owner. But it's not going to stop as long as you know. It feels like it's getting worse, doesn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I think going back to your initial comment, I think they they're starting to feel like Al Davis the last six or seven years. They're It's interesting what power does to men. I think women tend to age a little bit more gracefully, but wealthy guys, you know, it could be Sumner Redstone. Is it Summer Redstone or Sumner Redstone. I forget a lot of these old guys. They get a little crazy and they lack self awareness, and most of them are not like Warren Buffett. It's like, hey, I could still do this for three or four more years, but you know it's time. And I think you see this. I mean the NFL, of all these sports owners ship groups, it is a good old boys club. And they they wouldn't you know, they wouldn't even consider bringing in probably a Mark Cuban like the NBA did. They wouldn't even consider it. And it's just it's just a place where Jerry and Bob Kraft and Stan Kronke, there's a handful of owners who are highly influential, and.
Speaker 1: Jerry knows it.
Speaker 2: But the problem being is, you know, once once you get close to the first number in your age being eight, it's different. I mean, I Vin Scully was broadcasting, you know, in his seventies. You can Al michaels is seventy seven. There's a big gap. You start getting, you start getting seventy nine, eighty eighty one.
Speaker 1: Your faculties aren't the same, you know.
Speaker 2: And it's like, and Jerry's lived hard, Jerry's lived a big life, and Al Jerry parties. Jerry parties today and Al lived a big life, and so it's not a shot. It's just I think about this stuff all the time. Is that I loved age gracefully and I probably won't. So I just I think it's one of those things where it's become the Lakers a little bit. It's it's new ownership and it'll never happen. Would not be terrible, like the Bus Family got you know, Kobe's agent, Rob Polenka is the GM and there's all sorts of friends and family cowboys. Just they're not the Bears. They're not totally dysfunctional in ownership with like eleven kids.
Speaker 1: But they're not.
Speaker 2: They're closer to the Bears than they are to the Rams right now.
Speaker 1: I agree, they just have more money. Yeah right, you know, I think you bring up Robert Kraft. Obviously it ended really poorly with Bill, but for those twenty years, Robert became a star. But Bill got to be the face, you know, the face of the team, at the forefront of making the decisions, and he bared the responsibility good or bad, and he went out right. Robert joined him when it was good, but if it was bad, Bill took the arrows. Al Davis even in his prime and Jerry in his prime could not have gone twenty years with Bill Belichick getting all the credit of the good times. I mean, they prove that. I mean, I would get rid of coaches. And it's probably when they were winning Super Bowls. And obviously Jerry, I mean had that early on. It was like Jimmy, you're out, you know. And again that was when Jerry was sharp as attack. I mean, probably one of the more impressive business guys. And this is the mid nineties. So your personality does it only amplify and get more aggressive the more money you have, Like you said, now he's in his eighties. I just think it could get really, really weird because if the team's not good, he's still calling into that radio show every Tuesday morning. He's still in the locker room, which doesn't happen anywhere else. I mean, it has dak and these guys are so numb to it because it's all they've ever seen. If you just put like a took some dude from like the Rams, you know, like a just take like a Puka Nakua or just any other team and just put them on the Cowboys for like a week after the game in the locker room and the owner is over there, Like usually the press goes to the quarterback, they go to the guy that made the big play. Jerry walks in that room and he's ready to hold court. They all go because his quote's going to make the headlines. And unlike those guys that might not say anything, you know, Jerry will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's wrap it up with this. You and I had an interesting conversation driving home from the live tournament. Is that, like I am always pro entrepreneur, Like when Dana White took a UFC fight during COVID to an island. I've always been pro Dana White. There was a lot of critics of USC for a long time until Dany got momentum. And there's still critics because his relationship with Trump. Whatever. Dana is an entrepreneur and he has pushed back on the media. He doesn't give a shit. I will always defend commissioners and entrepreneurs who take swings. And that's what I said. I mean the PGA, one am I loyal to?
Speaker 1: It was a charity.
Speaker 2: They didn't run Augusta, they didn't run the British Open, and didn't run the US Open. So I was always loyal to the golfer. But you brought up a really interesting point this weekend and I briefly, briefly just said hi to Brooks Koepka and watched them t off in the first and watched this.
Speaker 1: He said, Heidi, he walked over to you. Come now.
Speaker 2: He's Brooks is a sports fan. He knows what's going on, and I'm a huge fan. In fact, I'm bombed out that he asked we played that well? And I won't share with you what he said because I said, man, you're you look in really good shape, and that he made a funny joke and I'm not going to repeat it, but he's an interesting one because Brooks Kopka, you and I talked about this car. He he likes.
Speaker 1: Being on the PGA.
Speaker 2: But if somebody offers you what is one hundred and twenty five million, it's generational. Like golf's hard. Golf's a grind. Golf was a grind for Tiger when he was the best player in the world. I mean, he melted down personally. It's it's a grind. It's you don't have a you don't have a GM or a coach, you can't have an off week. I mean, it's like being a lawyer. You don't get paid if you're not on the if you're not on the course. Tiger did, but through you know, Nike and others. But the point being is you would mention to me, is that, Okay, now these guys got paid, and when those contracts are up for a Pill or a Brooks Koepka, well it's very doubtful they're going to get another massive payday.
Speaker 1: Brooks.
Speaker 2: I think Phil has so much animosity toward and he's gonna play. You know, he got the Masters because he's won the Masters, so you get a lifetime exception for that, right, So what word is do you think somebody, do you think any of these guys will go back? Because you only the live you play three rounds, not four. So a lot of these guys, unless it's a major and they have an exemption that they're not, they can't play back on the tour, right, So what happens for some of these guys if they don't get a second big bag of money.
Speaker 1: I love golf and I've been I mean our experience was really cool, and meeting Scott O'Neil that had nothing to do with this. I mean he was just hired to replace Greg Norman six months ago. But what Greg and j Monahan felt like a personal fight. It's like they you know, Greg Norman had a vandetta. Yep, he got the people with the somehow with the most money in the world to finance that vandetta and went on the attack and the PGA Tour, like a lot of country clubs would, they fought back on any ideas and change and it created this and it made all these guys wealthy PGA Tour players. I mean, Scotty Scheffer just finished second. I think he'll get one and a half million dollars. I mean these guys are making Back in the day when Tiger first hit it big, I don't think there were many tournaments that paid a million to win, So I mean the money flowing on the PGA Tour and obviously on Live is massive. All these guys have net Jet towels, right, not Tiger Woods and Scotti Scheffler, Like the seventy fifth guy isn't checking into United with me flying home to Arizona. But I do think talking to Scott O'Neill, you know the Live now is run by a guy that has an NBA background. The PGA Tour is now run by a guy personally picked by Tiger that worked with Roger Goodell. You know what those guys care about business and the tour. Do you know who's benefited the most of this separation, not Live or the PGA Tour in the sense of like their businesses, because the PGA Tour is still fighting like that Wells Fargo and they've had sponsors back out yep. And it's the majors because that's when you get to see Bryce in Brooks, DJ Scotty altogether. And these guys know that I was blown away. I had heard his name, but i'd never met him personally. You know, Scott O'Neil's really high level guy. Yeah, and clearly Brian roll App the PJ Tour guy. If you're a right hand man for Roger Goodell for twenty plus years, I mean you probably know what you're doing. And he was giving us great stories yesterday of dealing with I don't know, David Stern and Josh Harris who just happens on the Sixers and the.
Speaker 2: Red Stone, and James Dolan, like he's dealt with volcanic personalities.
Speaker 1: I think it's a huge strength of his is and roll App was the same. They're not golfers, so they're not role apps that I play like three or four times a year. So that means they're not like country club guys. They're not thinking about the game. They think about business and it's pretty black and white to get figure out of way to make this happen, and talking to him yesterday, I don't know when it's gonna happen, but like they understand that because it's this is a sport. Golf's a little stronger in tennis. Usually tennis guys what two or three guys that are like stars, right, they had the last twenty years, Like you know, Federal Golf stall Djokovic Golf typically has a lineup of even if it's Tiger and Phil, there are seven eight more guys who are pretty famous.
Speaker 2: To Ernie L's yesterday in order, Phil, Dustin, Sergio kept going and we didn't even see Bryson. There was like six guys in a row, and I'm like, oh, there's Phil, there's Dustin, there's Surge and then Hatton, the European guy who's a stud. By the way, he doesn't even look like a golfer in that heat. He had long sleeved shirt on him, like, and he was drenched. So like they're they're listen again. Certain players you get exemptions right for a certain amount of time. But the bottom line is the PGA doesn't run the Masters like they need tournaments that aren't majors to be interesting, and right now a lot of them aren't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. I mean, I think as someone that loves the sport, you've got to figure out a way to allow John Rahm to play waste management. You have to let Bryson d Chambeau, who's a California guy to play Pebble Beach if he wants to. When they go play the Arnold Palmer in Florida, Brooks and DJ those guys live there. Hey, you guys want to play there and find a way to do. All these guys are friends. I mean, Brooks lives next to Rory. They play all the time, you know. I mean Terrell Hadden's on the Ryder Cup team with Justin Rose, Roy McElroy, John Rahm. All these guys. It's a small, small world. And they all live in three or four cities throughout America. Phoenix, Dallas, Jupiter, Florida. They all know each other, and at this point in time, I think sometimes, like any big fight, emotions were high two or three years ago, they've mellowed out. I mean I had never been that close to it. I'd never gone to a golf event like that with a media, no when people being a It's got when I first got into radio and I started going to baseball games, and you could just walk up to batting practice and just like have a conversation with Bruce Bochi two hours before the game. I'm like, if you walked up to Andy Reid on a game day and try to talk to him. I mean he would have shoved you out of the you know, the camera. But it was a different culture and golf it's like this guy's hitting some balls. Brook come over, have a joke. Guy Sergio walks by, how you doing. Brennan Steele, who was obviously a big fan of you, just came over and talked for a while. He plays golf with Joel Klatt in southern California. The culture of golf is a little more melt once they get on the course, you could tell, like all business once they hit. But on the driving range put like you can have conversations. So it's just it's different than some of these other sports. But financially that there is a lot I mean it's that's where it's unique. I mean there's a lot of money in terms of the people that get involved. I mean look at the typically the sponsors. It's like Rolex Mercedes. I mean most of these guys, throughout the course of their career sponsored by huge brands. I mean Phil Forever was like AMG. It's like Phil, what what is KPMG getting out of it? Well, they got out of it. They would bring him to corporate events and he would play with people they want to do business with. You know that they want Apples accounting, so they have an event. Hey Phil, will you play with Tim Cook in this round? Right right? And that's what they paid Phil twenty five million dollars a year to do. So that's where golf is. It's almost intersex. I would say, you know, we talked about NFL as this huge business, and it is, but the players on the field aren't like dealing with corporate you know, it's golf is. The intersection is strong. It's all kind of under one umbrella. The business, the golf, the sponsors. They're all kind of interconnected. And that's where I think the strength is in the group. And Live has four or five guys that golf really needs to be playing with the other guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John Middlekoff, great stuff.
Speaker 1: I'll say it again.
Speaker 2: Michelson's got a little you know, he's got that five o'clock shadow.
Speaker 1: He looks slender. I mean, he inspired me. I gotta lose some word about me. He looks fantasy. He's got to be in his best shape he's ever been in his life. I'm fifty five years old. Yeah, all right, good talk anybody, Thanks for The Hospitality Colin all Right Live Volume