Speaker 1: Hey, the folks. In this episode, Robes and I go to Steph Curry's house to see Sabrina Carpenter. Also, we sincerely are asking for your help define dates for two of our favorite ladies. Plus, we couldn't believe what a fellow passenger said to us on our flight this weekend. We were shocked and flattered. Also, we take a crazy ride across the Golden Gate Bridge this weekend in a sprinter van with nine oh two one zero, Bachelor Nation and iHeartRadio all well represented in that van. And finally, which would you prefer live life to the fullest but die younger or live longer but maybe not to the fullest? And with that we welcome you to this episode of Amy and TJ. That question there about living longer or shorter was prompted Robes by something you and I had been talking about and then something you said to me. Because we are wearing ourselves out here lately.
Speaker 2: It feels, yes, we have not been doing a great job at time management, but we've been so excited about getting back and being back and being a part of the conversation. And so yes, we went from doing nothing to having or at least oftentimes putting out eight podcasts a week, and that's just we love our iHeart team. They're amazing and helping us getting it up and booking some of our amazing guests. But for the most part, by and large, we are the producers, the writers, the editors, and the talent. And so we haven't been sleeping a lot, and we've been traveling a ton. Put those two things together, that is a very exciting, full purposeful life, but one where we aren't maybe taking as good of care of ourselves as we should have or could be.
Speaker 1: I don't want to tell it we're complaining. Oh, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining. Now I've said this to you the other day. You know, it has to get to a certain point for me to say this. I'm gonna drop dead, right And I said that not obviously not joking. Actually I said it when I was I think I hadn't slept. I think that was election night. I didn't sleep at all the night of the election. A lot of folks go through. But we just have been wearing ourselves out with travel and saying yes to more things. We just say be saying yes too.
Speaker 2: Oh, and there marathons in there too, a couple of marathons sprinkled in there.
Speaker 1: You mentioned it. So this, this has been our past two months. Every single weekend, Atlantic City, Athens, Georgia, Chicago, Seville, Spain, Fadville, Arkansas, San Francisco, two marathons, seven to eight shows a week. That's all we've done since September.
Speaker 2: I'm exhausted just hearing you say that. But it really it comes to the price. And we've always lived fast lives and we've always worked hard and played hard. That has always been what I have done. But you do start to worry, especially someone who is a cancer survivor, that it could take a bigger toll than we expect. And so we asked. I asked the question, you know, would you rather live life the way we're living it and maybe not have those final ten years, maybe not have those final five years. Who's to say? You don't know, but I have always lived my life kind of being okay with those odds.
Speaker 1: Okay, say now we say the last ten years, if it means you won't have the last ten years of your life, A lot of people can hear that and go, well, those last ten years are going I'm not gonna be vibrant anyway. But if you had to put it this way, seventy five or ninety, right, that's a big fifteen year gap. Seventy five isn't that.
Speaker 2: Old, It's not at all.
Speaker 1: So what would you take living a life that's full to its fullest, taking those risks, taking those trips, wearing yourself out for the sake of a good time. I'm saying, but and everything we've been doing this is we're doing this voluntarily. Yes, nobody's making us do anything, but we're taking it all on. But if you knew it was going to cost, you're gonna life is going to end, it's seventy five versus ninety, would that change how you were living?
Speaker 2: Well? I think that's the question we were asking ourselves, or at least I was asking myself and hearing you and seeing you really you know, I do. I do make a point to sleep at least probably two hours more a night than you do. I would say, But I've been making that choice because I'm aware and you're aware of how we live now affects how you're going to feel later and how long you might be able to live later. And so I've been making the choice to yes, live perhaps more fully than is recommended, knowing that I might be costing myself years. On the backside, I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to use two of your quotes. Oh no, two things. Oh now, and when you said that I did, I picked up my phone. I took a note. This is how you put it. This is one of them. Quote I would rather live even if that excessive living takes away the last years of my life. Okay, that's reasonable. The other says, enjoy the hell out of it, even it kills me a little bit earlier than it would have.
Speaker 2: Okay. So there's my answers when without thinking about it, without being prompted, that is where my brain is.
Speaker 1: And your doctor and your mama, upon hearing what I just wrote, are going to probably message you or call you because.
Speaker 2: There's no probably about that might. No, my mom has been on to me since the moment. I can't remember a time where this wasn't what my mom said to me, Amy, please slow down. She has said that to me my entire life. Even when I was fighting cancer. The first thing I did was go to my oncologists and say, but can I still go to Sochi, Russia and cover the Olympics? And my parents sat me down like they were doing a drug intervention on me because I was maybe I am addicted to the life.
Speaker 1: Well, some of that is personality driven. Some of that was driven by the business that we're in. It's kind of sometimes the mindset you have to have of always saying, yes, go go, go, go go. I can be the go to person you use the quote from Oscar Wild in our Morning Run to live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. That's something that sounds so sad about that to each his or her own about how they want to go about the life. A quieter life, a calmer life, A I don't need to be traveling and taking risks and doing all these things just to be surrounded by family. That's still a full in camera.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful life. Yes, And I actually envy, like I don't want to sound patronizing at all, because I do not mean it that way. I actually envy the ability to feel satiated. And I have gotten more like this than I was before. But just for things to be enough, you don't you're not on a constant chase for something else or for something more, for something new, or something different, and yes, you found an amazing quote that I've heard before that perhaps we both have chosen to live back.
Speaker 1: No, we were in the middle of this conversation and chatting about this, and the first thing that came to mind. I cannot remember. I did a story in New Mexico. This had to be at least five or probably six, seven, eight years ago, and I was in this family's home and talking about something completely unrelated. And I'm sitting in the kitchen and look up and they have this sign on the wall. And it struck me so much at the time that I took a picture of it, and it stays in my phone, and it's there right now.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll read it. It says life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive, well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming woohoo, what a ride. So if you noticed it, made a note of it, took a picture, It's in your phone. I'm looking at it right now. You live by this mantra as well, and I think maybe it's part of the reason why there's always been like this electricity between us because we both have that same way of living.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nothing's guaranteed and tomorrow. I just I hate saying no to opportunities based on I'm a little under the weather, Oh I'm a little tired. Oh why and just we get and we've been blessed in this life to do more than most and the places we've gotten to go and people we've gotten to see. But it's I have a difficult time passing up opportunity because it just as the older we get. I mean, how many times if we had an experience that whow I meant to message him just the other day, and now I don't get a chance because a friend passed away or that's been happening more and more in our lives. Yeah, there's some balance we have to find between health and that happiness. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, the older you get, the more seventy five seems really young, you know, And I think when you're in your thirties you can say oh please, I'd be fine. I don't need to when you're you know, we have been spending time with folks in their seventies, and our parents are in their seventies and they're a vibrant My dad ran the Berlin Marathon at sixty nine. I mean, there's so much that you can contribute. And yes, I want my parents to be around for me and for my children for as long as possible. So you don't want to be selfish in that either, because you obviously know there are beautiful relationships to be had in a way you couldn't have them when you get older.
Speaker 1: That was part of the thinking and the calculation for a trip we just went on this weekend. This was one we could have possibly say, you know, we're just gonna take it easy. We're just gonna take a nap this weekend and just do nothing. But instead we ended up parting our butts off all weekend long. Yeah, because we went out to San Francisco. But this trip we knew about. We can't. We're sitting here now, only a week remove from running in New York City Marathon. After we ran that marathon. What five days we got on the cross country flight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and five days earlier we had been on an international trans continental flight from Spain seeing.
Speaker 1: The little one over there, your little one, I should say. But the trip to San Francisco, this I don't know. I think we were just so exhausted that there was a moment I said, sweetheart, I don't want to go. Let's to cancel this trip. I was exhausted.
Speaker 2: And that's so rare for you, because you're someone who says, basically without saying it, you just do it. I'll sleep when I die. You will do anything to just still be up and be a part of things, whether it's watching something or anything other than sleeping.
Speaker 1: You all used to think I was crazy all the time I would come in. I used to I stayed up. Okay, it's fine, but I will stay up late to watch a game and I say this is not the boys supporting game in the world. That okay, fine. But then the next morning I get up, I'm all excited, saying, let me tell you what you missed, right, it was a seven overtime game, or it was a walk off field goals or walk there's always some bit of history. Sometimes it happens, and I hate every getting up in the morning, I think I missed something.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Well yeah, and you rarely do, except for sleep, which is super important. Yeah, last night I believe I went to bed there was some tie twenty three to twenty three. I was like, yeah, let me know what happens in the morning.
Speaker 1: You make a good I didn't even think you're right that game exactly. We got off a flight that landed it to thirty, came here from JFK, exhausted after a cross country.
Speaker 2: We got back at eleven PM, got back in at eleven. I went straight to bed.
Speaker 1: And I went straight to that game, which was tied twenty twenty three, and you know how it was won on a walk off field. It was so yes, I'm glad I stayed up.
Speaker 2: We all have made our choices. I'm so happy I slept.
Speaker 1: But that trip is one. So we end up going to San Francisco, and we had some exciting things we were planning on doing. But we get on our flight and this was a really, really nice moment. We were on off flight, folks started to board. Everybody's passing and this is kind of one of our favorite pastimes to board the flight early and then just you know, do some people watching?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm sure people are watching us too sometimes as they walk on. And we've been greeted many different ways and usually very sweetly, but this was a first for us. We're sitting there and a woman walks up and she points to us. She recognizes us, which isn't that unusual, but what she said was a first. She said looking at us and said, morning Run my favorite, and that was everything. Normally we'll get oh, we miss you on TV or you know, some reference to being on Good Morning America and about the podcast, yeah with Amy and TJ. We love your podcast. But this was the first time, and we've really been working hard and part of our lack of sleep has been specifically tied to getting up early and working on this morning Run. By the time we get it out to everyone, we've been up for three hours working on it and the night before. So just to hear someone recognize that and listen to the Morning Run, it absolutely made my whole weekend. Actually it did.
Speaker 1: You reacted to it.
Speaker 2: I was so happy.
Speaker 1: I thought it was sweet. And the ladies. Also in Arkansas, when we were on a run there, a group of five women were running past me and just started waving their arms as they were We were passing each other, running in opposite directions, and they were hooting and hollering about the Morning Run as well. I kept running. I guess I should have stopped and talked to them about it. But those I mean, that's one woman who say one thing to us on the flight and has no idea the kind of impact it has. She has no idea the hours we put in. She has no idea how big of a staff we have.
Speaker 2: She had had no clue staff of two.
Speaker 1: What we had been going. And you know what that morning as well, William, Damn you remember Friday morning, But we had to get up and do I'm heading over to the school. I have to watch a whole dance and musical performance. That's the being school. Yep. We switched our flights around so that I could stick around and make sure we made that. We are just it's constant. Yeah, and it's fun and it's great and it's fulfilling, but we're exhausted, and I worry that something's going to have to give, and I hope it's not our health.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, obviously that would not be what we would want to do, and I think we will. We're trying to make tweaks and adjustments in our schedule. But to the point you're making, when we love getting on planes. It's something that we loved doing when we had work trips, but it was just like, yeah, let's have fun. We'll have like fun conversations and like background movies. Up. We fell asleep, at least I fell asleep on that plane, which I hardly ever do. For almost the entire flight, which spoke volumes about where we were.
Speaker 1: We alternated. I was awake watching you sleep, you were awake watching me sleep. And flights are We were talking to somebody recently about date nights. Our biggest dates are our flights. We travel so much and when we get on a plane, we know we're not going to be bothered. Finally, we can't take phone calls. Sometimes we don't even get the full Wi Fi to get emails. We just do the messaging and nobody around is going to be met. You around people, but they can't really mess with you. And it is I love flying with you, So for us to give up a date night to sleep, that's a big deal.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have to do better. I'm doing a little bit better than you, but that's always been the case with the sleep, and I'm actually curious we should do a podcast on this. You've always been a believer that not everybody needs the same amount of sleep, that one size does not fit all, and you believe you need about four five hours.
Speaker 1: Generally, doctors tell me that's bs that we all do need a certain amount of sleep. I start to get impacted if I get less than four. But if I get four hours, I get a solid four, then I'm you know, you see my behavior and see how I function.
Speaker 2: I'm good to go, which is insane to me.
Speaker 1: Okay, I get the four if I get the four. But we were heading to California. It was a work thing. We had some business to tend to out there with our iHeart folks, but a part of it was that we were going to be going to the Chase Center out there in San Francisco, which I had not been to yet. But it's the home of the Golden State Warriors, beautiful, brand new place. I covered the Warriors for years, went to five NBA Finals covering Stephan Crue. So I finally get to the warriors new.
Speaker 2: Home to see Sabrina Carf. She Grammy nominated, you know, a huge, huge, probably one of the biggest singers now out there. But we're just not necessarily folks who listened to her music. So we were exposed to a whole new pop star. And it is funny. I don't know if anyone's ever been to a concert, maybe you've taken your kids to a concert where you're not really that familiar with the music, but everyone else is. And to watch everyone just go gaga over her, know every word to every song that I had never heard before in my life.
Speaker 1: It was amazing. We we know a couple, the latest one Espresso is the one we know. But it was incredible to see looks Brenan Carpenter. Clearly we've seen her at the jingle Ball, I think, right, we know her perform once before the jingle Ball. We didn't know what to expect with this young lady and I was I was just taking a bag and I see, I guess you see this with young fans of a lot of pop stars. But how must that feel? The entire arena was singing every I think we were the only two people not singing every single word right to her songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean you could see this is she and she's young, and she's she owned the stage and it was we had fun with the folks backstage, or at least with us who probably were in the same boat as us, because we were all of a certain age. We had some of our iHeart podcasters, fellow podcasters who we some of whom we've met, one of whom we had not Jenny Garth, who we actually do a podcast with I do Part two, we've only actually met via zoom, So it was fun to get to meet people in person. And her husband and of course the Golden Bachelorette girls. We've met them before, but we had extra time with them and it was really awesome to be able to just share the experiences of what we've all been going through as podcasters but just as humans. It was fun.
Speaker 1: San Francisco, you're all familiar with Scilito.
Speaker 2: Wait, yes, Salito.
Speaker 1: We know it's Sauce Allito. I lived out there for three years. Actually I know it's Sauce Alito. But last year we took a trip that included Sayulita in Mexico, so we keep messing this up, so we are being very careful when we say Sauce Aleto. But we stayed. It's gorgeous. It has the best view of San Francisco, I think in all the Bay Area over there. But we all stayed at the same place and to get to the Chase Center. We had to load up in a van with these folks and head across the Golden Gate Bridge to the Chase Center.
Speaker 2: Sounds easy, sounds quick.
Speaker 1: It wasn't easy. It wasn't quick, and it wasn't quiet.
Speaker 2: Yes, it became a bit of a party van. There was some Sabrina Carpenter songs being played just to kind of get us in the mood. And yes, that lovely San Francisco Friday night traffic bit us And I think it took us an hour and a half to go. How many miles maybe just a few, maybe four or five miles. Yes, but we did eventually get there, and TJ was not in his element.
Speaker 1: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: I don't think you're a big fan of rowdy bus or van trips in any way, shape or format.
Speaker 1: Other people are.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, it gets you in the mood. Yeah, yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 1: Did I mention I'd been awake for twenty out correct?
Speaker 2: There's a couple of pictures, Well, there were a lot of pictures being taken that you also love taking selfies and it was so funny to watch selfies being taken and you being asked to participate in you having to say yes, because it wasn't just me asking, it was Susan.
Speaker 1: We love Susan. Susan Knowles from the Golan Bachelor. She was competed on that, but she was trying to take this selfie in a dark van so hard she took at least fifteen.
Speaker 2: Right, I posted the one successful. No, she did get one successful, and she sent it to me. I posted it on my Instagram because it was after all that work and all those attempts, I felt like I needed to at least pay homage to the fact that she got one good one in and look.
Speaker 1: So this was the whole trip is loud, it's hard, It just where is this place? Can we get there? I think I finally was able to doze off before getting through the Oh.
Speaker 2: You did, I did? Okay, yeah, yep, yes. And you know when when you're sleeping on planes and vans that maybe perhaps you should focus more on sleeping in your bed at some point this week. So we didn't even sleep. You slept you I don't even know if you slept. You were on the couch last night, but you know, I hate I'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry, and please know, anybody that tries to take a negative headline out, Oh, yes, I slept on the couch. Call was watching a game and I didn't want to disturb my love by having the TV on and the refereeze whistle and the cheering while she's trying to sleep.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. I appreciated that. Yes, that's a good important clarification because I know that clickbaits always. I think there was one we were talking about a very similar situation one night, and I think it said that I kicked you out of bed, and that was just like a way for someone to click. But it was hilarious because you wanted to watch a game. They just took something about us you going to the couch that somehow I kicked you out of bed and such a rediculouses. That was one of my favorite headlines. Yeah. I don't think I passed that along to you sharing now.
Speaker 1: Thank you sweetness, but it was. It was. And Susan Susan Knowles and Kathy Schwartz are the two who they have a podcast now with iHeart as well. But they are two ladies that we first got to meet last year in LA They actually crashed one of our podcast recordings and we just had a great time with them getting to know them a little more this time around. They are two of the most original people I guess I've ever been been around, and to see their friendship and how they play off each other is really fun to be heround I.
Speaker 2: Have so enjoyed getting to know them both more. I don't know. I think Susan was quick to say she wasn't quite the same age as Kathy, But Kathy's seventy one, and these are vibrant, vibrant women who have so much. You know, we're talking about how much you would shave off the end of your life. These women are living, and they are at an age where they're ready for their next chapter and their next man. And they were talking, and they've been talking about how difficult it is when you're a woman and they have means. They're not looking for a sugar daddy or someone to financially take care of them. They really just want a wonderful companion to do all the fun things they still have left to give. Their children are grown, their grandchildren are even grown in some cases, so they want to go out and be a part of things, and they want a partner to do it with. I understand that, but they point out, you know, if you have another man who is around your age and he has means he's going younger. He is not looking for someone who is of the same age, and it's frustrating and it's tough because there really aren't a lot of options. They said, two years, neither one of them have had one date.
Speaker 1: See that through me. I didn't know that because they're always putting themselves out there. I thought they were bouncing around and they that was wild to hear, but it's I know, I didn't see them on The Golden Bachelor at all. I think Kathy made it to the next of the last final role of ceremony or something. She says, all right, but anyway, they clearly we're looking for love and looking today. I did not know this. She says. She was the villain on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's Yeah, there's a name for it. When you get like edited as the villain. It's the villain edit.
Speaker 1: Maybe, But it was wild to think that, because of the way we have gotten to know her one on one and in a personal and personable way, to think that the woman we know would ever in any context be seen as a villain through me, because she is so sweet to hear her talk about her life, her pain, her husband, his passing, where she is now, what she wants, that she wants, love, The way she looked at us, and we were with her a lot, and we were always holding hands and all over each other, the way she looked and complimented and was so it was a little heartbreaking to hear her talk about wanting that or make sure you hold on to that.
Speaker 2: Was it was tone.
Speaker 1: They're not They're not sad women in any way like that, but I was kind of my heart was breaking for them a little.
Speaker 2: I think it creates perspective, you know, especially if whatever relationship you're in her work, wherever you are relationship wise in your life. I think it's this human experience that we all want that relationship where you've got your best friend, your partner, that person you trust, and it doesn't mean that it's and I kept saying, and she was being very sweet about our relationship, and I said, please, it's not always perfect, but you know, we have fought hard to be where we are. And it was just another reminder not to take that for granted. And I think anyone who's in a relationship, of course, it's not going to be perfect. Of course, there are ups and downs and you might need to find, you know, the right person, the friendship that maybe you're missing, and I just think we all long for that and supporting each other to help each other find it is such a big part of what we do in life. I mean, isn't that what you think of the most? I mean, no matter what success you've had in your life, no matter where you've been, or the adventures you've had, or how full your life is, if you don't have that meaningful partner, for a lot of people, and I would definitely put myself on this camp, that's what matters the most. It's above all else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people want to say I don't need anybody to be happy, and I get that nobody needs it, but it's just we're human. Be crave it you do as a human being. You just that companionship. That friend is certainly older in life and to go through it in life. They're having so much fun together and getting to do all kinds of new things and they're excited about and that one thing they go.
Speaker 2: Back to is just it's someone to share it with.
Speaker 1: And Kathy is hilarious. If you ever meet her. The second thing out of her mouth is going to be asking you if you've got a friend or.
Speaker 2: A brother an uncle. The next thing's just god. I love those ladies. I love that they're putting themselves out there too and saying, hey, I want this, because I think so many of us if you don't have it and say you don't need it, or you know you're over it, or you've been there, done that. But no, they're being vulnerable and they're saying no, we actually want this, and so yeah, whatever we can do. Listeners out there, you know, anyone, and we're serious.
Speaker 1: You're all. Susan Knowles, Kathy Schwartz are the names, and Knowles and Kathy's sports. I can't remember the name of their podcast they do.
Speaker 2: I think it's called Golden Hour, but.
Speaker 1: They were on this season of The Golden Bachelor and they are out there looking for love and they've put themselves out there and they are hilarious and wonderful and energetic ladies. And to Kathy, you remember Rues made the point I'm seventy one and I have all this energy. Another seventy one year old person has a difficult time keeping up with me. Yeah, she does. She says, she can go and go hard. So if you all want to reach out to them, or know somebody and want to make a connection, or maybe you're listening and you would like to reach out to these two ladies. They are absolutely wonderful and we are rooting for them, and we are pulling for them, and we are now actively engaged and trying to find somebody for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just so you know, their official podcast name is Bachelor Happy Hour Golden Hour. It's perfect. But they are a hoot and we're rooting for them. All right.
Speaker 1: Well, folks, we appreciate you all listening to us as all romes. We are going to get a handle on this schedule of ours. We are not having to travel until early December, so we have not having to get on a plane, I should say, yeah, until.
Speaker 2: We have a couple of road trip plans. Yes, road trips planned.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's okay to stay on solid ground for a little while. But it has been great. It's been fun. And thank you to our listeners. We appreciate not just seeing you all out in public, but we're seeing it out in other places to where what we're doing in the work, we're putting in is resonating in some way with our listeners, and that is something we appreciate. Never could imagine we'd be in this position. But it's fun. Yeah, had a good time.
Speaker 2: I'm a little tired, but there's no there's no one I'd rather lose sleep for than you. With you. How about that?
Speaker 1: You want to try it one more time?
Speaker 2: Did I say it wrong?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not saying you say anything wrong, but I just want to make sure that's what you meant to say.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, that's another podcast, you know what. That'll be a good tease. I think one of the next few podcasts we're going to put out there is this notion it's the cult and like men are from Mars, women are from Venus where I don't know, ladies, if you're the same as me. But I've tried to explain that what I say, oh boy, literally isn't necessarily always what I mean figuratively or emotionally, and so I've been trying to help with the translations.
Speaker 1: And so I don't put any emotion into what I'm saying, and if I said it, that is literally what I meant, right, And this makes it difficult to go back and forth in conversations.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I am the opposite.
Speaker 1: And now I've been joking with you a little bit. Now I have been joking a little bit. You'll say something I don't like, or you say whatever I say. I know you didn't really mean that, because I have to interpret and read between the lines.
Speaker 2: And that goes over so well with me. All Right, we'll say that for another podcast. You all can enjoy your week and live your life to the fullest.