Speaker 1: Kabooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old republic, a sol fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow to Clearinghouse of hot takes, break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere. The Fifth Hour with me, Ben Mahler and you and Danny g Radio as we hang out together on an NFL Sunday, Week nine in the nash Football League later said this is the unofficial pregame show, which has nothing to do with the NFL. Reminder, though you still have time, you're listening early in the morning today, early in the morning today, you still have time to track down a episode of Benny Versus. Depending on Peacock or anywhere else, watch Benny Versus the Penny Week nine episode if you haven't seen it yet. Every game that matters and pretty much every game in general against the spread and so check that out today on Peacock and NBC regional cable channels. It is the third day of November. We had a little extra sleep Danny Daylight Savings Day today, so the whole clock situation overnight, which nobody minds this one because we get an extra hour of sleep. Yes, I am pissed we still have this at all. I thought three or four years ago they had agreed to get rid of daylight savings time, but no, it's still here. What is the problem. Just pick a time like they do in Arizona and stick with it. You don't need to have the time change. I hate it. I hate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right. When it's this one and we magically get that extra hour sleep, I'm like, man, I love this. But then when it's spring ahead, we're like, this is the stupidest shit ever.
Speaker 1: Well, I'd like to just have one time year round and that's it. It's a third day of November, though NFL sign it's National Sandwich Day. Would have been my mom's birthday. May she rest in peace today November three. My dear old mom back in the day always would celebrate, obviously because it was her birthday. Today. What else is today? It's what do we have? It's zero tasking day?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it. Relax and enjoy the peace that comes with living in the moment doing nothing. I think there's a lot of people in this country doing nothing the problems that we have, there's a lot of people every day is like that. Then, yeah, so anyway, it is a mail back day. Before we get to the mailbag though, and our guy, Ohioal, I've got door number one or door number two. Which one do you want, Danny, Door number one or door number two. Let's see, I'm gonna say door number two. All right, all right, door number two. This is the ten most searched slang. Not a list, by the way, for Terry and England and some of you other schmucks. This is not a list. This is a big board the ten most searched slang terms in twenty twenty four. All right, okay, so I don't even know if I'm to be able to pronounce most of these.
Speaker 3: Is the riz on there?
Speaker 1: Let me let me check here the top ten. I do not see the riz. You want me to go from ten ten to one here on the big board. Sure you don't see rizzler. I do not see wrizzler. I have seen a lot of wrizzler on my feed, but I have not heard these are These are according to Google searches in the year twenty twenty four, slang terms spreen, p R, E e N. That was number ten.
Speaker 3: Okay, I heard that one.
Speaker 1: Do you want to look these up while we go? I don't know. Uh, here's one I don't even know how to pronounce O e.
Speaker 3: U v R E. I know that. I know riz is like charisma. Oh yeah, yeah, like juice, like you got the juice?
Speaker 1: No juice?
Speaker 3: Surprised that's not on there? How do you spell the one you just said?
Speaker 1: O e U v r e uh? It says the works of a painter, composer author. It says the complete and then of Mozart.
Speaker 3: Why would kids be saying that word?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I've never interesting. Cats is on here? Slang term cats like cats? Is Deli? You ever been to cats as Deli in New York? Great Deli?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: According to the search, A K A t z uh, it says, is a Sir Bernard. I don't this makes no sense. It's a British biophysicist born in Germany.
Speaker 3: Okay, it says that's a slang for vomit or puke.
Speaker 1: Oh is that right? Well, that makes a lot more. Yeah, that makes a lot of senn s e n. This is an old guy. This is boomers learning about slang.
Speaker 3: Where generation X.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're X man X marks the spots.
Speaker 3: Where I just came from Seattle. We're part of that generation grunge and grimy hip hop. That's how we are. Sen on the Internet says special education needs. Oh really, I don't think that's I don't think that's what we're looking for. Okay, here it is. It's slang for I'll do that myself.
Speaker 1: Oh is that right? Okay? Number six is schmaltz, which sounds Yiddish to me. It's like a root beer small. I'll have a small else like beer. All right, but I'm sure it's not that. Number five is uh s O b r I q u e T so brett sobriquette. Is that am I saying? Brikette?
Speaker 3: Sober Quette says slang.
Speaker 1: Slang slang together here on the podcast We're learning slang on the Sunday Mailbag podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the real definition of it came up. Let me see if it says anything for slang in other words, a nickname. Oh, if people start calling you mac because you like to eat macaroni and cheese for every meal. Then you not only have a strange diet, but you also have a sober cat. In other words, a nickname. It's derived from a French word.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well that's dumb. The only one on this that I know, and it's number four hoc tour. Oh we all know that, yeah, or most urged slang terms in twenty twenty four. Number three is ski bitty. I believe it is. How you pronounce it.
Speaker 3: You're talking about skibbity. Oh, skibbity.
Speaker 1: Did I mispronounce it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I hear Covino. That's that's from that whole Wrizzler thing. They're like, oh really, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. It's pronounced like skippity skibbity, And it's just like a wacky adjective. It means to be like like it's cool.
Speaker 1: Do they use that on the show?
Speaker 3: Joking because he obviously knows it's kid talk. He's like, as the kids say, skibbitty, Oh.
Speaker 1: Man, i'd never I mean, I've seen the I guess I didn't pick close enough attention.
Speaker 3: That's because you don't have the riz ben I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm lacking. I'm lacking in that area. I admit, I don't don't lie that I am lacking in that area for sure. All right, well let's get to the mailbag. What do you say, Danny, it's Ohio, weill time, it's bag. All right. These are actual messages by actual listeners. If you'd like to send a message into the mail bag, the Fifth Hour mail bag, real fifth Hour at gmail dot com. Just put email on the headline. That way I know you have a question for the show, and then send it in anytime. Send it right now, send it tomorrow, the next day. Just try to get it in by Thursday afternoon, try to get it in by Thursday afternoon, depending on when we record the pots normally on Friday mornings. We do it. But you never know. And before we get to the actual mail bag, I did want to mention the last quarter. I guess they grade this by quarters, right, Danny? The podcast Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, correct, Yeah, radio is in four quarters.
Speaker 1: So we had the highest podcast numbers we've had in a year or two or something like that.
Speaker 3: And let's see, our boss said since twenty twenty one. And the only reason he said since twenty one is he couldn't go back further than that with the data that he had, so he said, at least the highest numbers in three years.
Speaker 1: Take that for data. All right, that's awesome. Thank you. You know, it's because you, Danny. You're getting people to get other people listen, and then they're actually listening, and we're doubling our audience, which is amazing. So God bless you and thank you. Otherwise we'd stopped doing this podcast, right, Danny Iven it's our weekends, man, what are we doing here?
Speaker 3: So I listened to a couple of other podcasts and I'm not gonna name drop because I'm about to shit talk a little bit. Godly man, Who the hell is producing some of these podcasts? One guy sounded like he was in a tin can, and then the guests they brought on you could barely hear him the volume was so low. They don't mix minus, they don't do anything in post reduction. They think they can just leave it completely raw.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I'm right there with you. I mean, it's one of the things about it's like the Old West with podcasts, right, and people just throw anything out there, and we're we're radio snobs, though, Danny, we actually believe in professionalism and trying to make it sound as good as possible.
Speaker 3: And what a waste of time if people don't really care about what I do. It both production, but I'm telling you, at least one of the two that I listened to was from a major broadcasting group who me hit the record button and then ship it out after they're done. I don't know. It was pretty amazing to me. But hey, I'm happy that so many people are enjoying this podcast because you and I both put a lot of hustle.
Speaker 1: Take a weekend off, you don't need to do the podcast. Come on, you can go out, you don't have to bother doing the podcast, and then we end up futzing around doing the podcast, which is you know, normally, normally how it goes. First email again Real Fifth Hour at gmail dot com on a Saturday. But thank you for listening. You guys have been great and God bless you. Louis from Delaware Rights and he says, Ben and Danny, I have to ask you a question.
Speaker 3: Ben.
Speaker 1: I listened to your overnight show most of the week, and every time I've heard your show I hear alf ferg Dog and Masshole Mickey. I think he is mentioned on your show.
Speaker 3: Never heard of him?
Speaker 1: Uh? He says, are these people real? Are they made up characters in your head? Are they your imaginary friends? I've gotta know? And then he Louie's like, how do these guys have that time to listen and write in or whatever? Uh? Well, Louis, I have not met Alf. I have not met Ferg Dog, so maybe they are imaginary characters in my head. I almost met Alf the alien ol Pliner, but there was a big storm and it was night and I didn't get to meet him. But I did meet Masshole Mickey, so I can't confirm he is a real, living, breathing human being. I have not at fer Dog. As far as I know, Ferg Dog is roommates with Brian Finley, unless he just imagined that. I believe he's real. I am honored that these guys are able to listen to everything I do, Louis, I don't know how they're able to do it. I know Alf has kids, I know he's married. I know he's got a family. He's got a I think a day job. I have no idea how he's able to pull that off. I know Masshole Mickey's working all the time, and he's hustling around and he's got kids and a wife and all that. And I don't know what the hell's Ferg Dog's up to, but I am very lucky these guys listen. They're like the core p ones of the show. Them and a couple other guys who are fans of the show. So it is odd that Danny, I mean, these guys are able to always figure out what we got going on and what I got going on, and it's they listen to this podcast. They usually write questions in on the mailbag, so it's it's cool, it's flattering. I'm honored that they like the crap that we put out so much. They listen all the time. It's awesome, So I thank them. But I don't know to answer your question, Louis, I don't know if Alice reel or for Dog. I do know Masshole Mickey's reel because I met him. So that's that. Ryan writes and Ryan Sea writes and says, hello, gentlemen. Last time I emailed into the show, I just proposed to my girlfriend and now we are less than a year until we get married. How about that? I look at that osotop October tenth, twenty twenty five. Our honeymoon starts in Disney World in Orlando for four days. Then we go to Disney on a Disney cruise for a week. We visit Saint Thomas and some other place I don't even know how to pronounce in the Caribbean. Disney. Oh, Disney's private island in the Bahamas.
Speaker 3: Oh, I've heard about that place.
Speaker 1: Since you both are married men, I'm interested to see where you you dudes went for your honeymoon. That's from right. I think we went to the same place I got married Ryan in Kawaii, in Hawaii, and the way we set it up because I am an introvert and I don't like people, we just got we kind of looked. We went on the beach, a deserted beach in Kawaii, just beautiful, the most beautiful beach we could possibly imagine, completely deserted, no one within a mile either direction, and it was us and the person who was officiating the wedding, and a camera person to document the wedding, and that was it. And then we signed some papers at a office in Hawaii, some legal papers, and then we just immediately started our honeymoon. So we were right there in Kawaii and went to the Nepali coast and had an amazing time and it was it was really cool. And I think, Danny, you had something similar to that, Am I am? I correct? Am I imagining that in my head? I feel like we talked about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, you're right, except we were in Maui. We got married on a beach that was right near the Four Seasons there was it was supposed to rain. They tried to convince us to change our wedding to the morning before the day it was scheduled, and we said no, and we wound up making a good call. Perfect weather and that we had family there, family and some friends. And right after the wedding we did the road to Hanna, which was fun. We did the Black Sand Beach there, really cool experience. And then I think I told the story about my brother in law and how he ruined the wedding. Not ruined, but he was the entertainment for the wedding dinner. You drink just a little.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the family, right, Welcome to the family.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: And by the way, this probably won't shock you, but he was handing out shots to people on the beach right after we got married.
Speaker 1: Random strangers, just random randoms. Yeah, all right, well, good luck Ryan, congratulations and you're gonna have a great time. And I've never been to the Bahamas. I've I've heard amazing things about it, and I think you're just gonna have memories and all that. So enjoy the hell out of it, you and your your ride to be. Doug writes in from Pennsylvania. He says, Swing state, Here we go, Danny. He says, Ben and Danny. I know this is not a political podcast. You know what that means, Danny. Is the elections a couple of days away. I want to know who you're voting for. Do you think it's going to be close? And will we have more rioting Doug? I think you know, if you listen to this podcast, you probably know who I'm voting for. So I don't know that we need to go into that right now. Do I think it's going to be close? Yes? I do think it'll be close, because why not everything seemed how many elections have been close? The last three elections have been really close? Right? Am I right on that? I think? I mean, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: No, you're not wrong, So why would this be any different?
Speaker 1: Right, If it's the country's split down party lines, I would think it's going to be close. And as I say, I mean, listen, I don't I don't really care who you vote for. I can disagree and think you're an idiot for voting for who you vote for, and you can think I'm an idiot, but it doesn't really matter because we're not actually the ones that are making the decisions here. As far as the writing and all that, Yeah, I don't. I don't anticipate. I do not anticipate that it'll be a peaceful situation. But yeah, hopefully, hopefully it'll be fine. I mean, if Dodgers winning a championship Danny led to people burning down a bus, the stakes are a little higher in a presidential election. And the other thing too, Nanny is and you know this listening, Doug. I mean, there are people that don't even give a rats ass about politics, who just are looking for an opportunity to cause trouble, right, and so opportunists.
Speaker 3: The same thing goes for teams winning championships. You're telling me all those people out there burning things are fans of baseball. Give me a break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, exactly, So good luck. Hopefully it's everyone safe and it's gonna be a wild ride for a couple of days, right, just an absolute wild ride, and so we'll see, we'll see how it turns out. Kevin in Phoenix, Right, since has ben, Since this is the p one podcast, as you guys like to call it, what is the inside story on why Loraina was late to the show?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I don't. I don't know. I mean she said, I guess she overslept and that I guess that was the I don't know. She she was a little late one night this week. We were worried, though, Kevin, I mean seriously, we didn't talk about it on the air, but Lorraina is every once in a while doing the late show, people take naps and they show up late and a couple of minutes late, or maybe at the most half an hour. But she was like really late, and we were we were mildly concerned. We were, and fortunately she was fine and she she had fallen asleep and all that. But yeah, I don't, I don't know exactly what happened. I just know she's fine. That's all I really care. About And that's funny. I told her Danny, I said, you know, we were very worried about you. We thought you might, you know, be in a ditch somewhere. But now that you're okay, now we're going to rip on you. And now now you're okay, so we're gonna goof on you. And that's usually the rule, you know.
Speaker 3: She she goes to Disneyland a lot and she fell asleep on the matterhorn.
Speaker 1: Did she really?
Speaker 3: Yeah? They left her in the Bob Sled and she went on the ride sixty four times in a row.
Speaker 1: Say, hey, around and around and around and around.
Speaker 3: Her back is blown out right now from the Bob Sled.
Speaker 1: Makes a lot of sense. Mike, in Seattle, you were just in Seattle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just got back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ben, I love your show. Listen to the podcast as well. Obviously, I don't believe you have let Real Talk back on the show. He disrespected you and your family. He deserved a lifetime band. Why did you let him back? Uh? Well, Mike, we touched on this a little bit yesterday. I ban I banned Real Talk for I think it was six months or a year, if I remember correctly. I think it was like six months a year, and that was it. I don't and I don't lifetime bands or whatever. I mean, he said something he shouldn't have said, and he upset me and people were upset, and so that was that. But you know, it was six months or yeah, I forget what it was, Mike. It was a long time ago, and part of me actually was happy he called in. I was like, this is kind of cool, you know. I don't you know, if you want to you think you should be banned, that's fine, that's your prerogative. I host the show and I let him back. So I don't you know.
Speaker 3: When we when we talked about this on Saturdays Pod, I inserted the little clip of him and Eddie singing that classic song together.
Speaker 1: Go to Hell, Eddie, back up, back up, up, check up.
Speaker 3: Some of the moments where I remember you laughing uncontrollably came from Real Talk calls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I mean we had great moments on the show. I remember the Golden Ticket when that started. You cooked that up, Danny. The Golden Ticket. You remember Real Talk got a golden ticket. I think we gave him like the first golden ticket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did. He helped me kind of draft the whole idea.
Speaker 1: So remember he hung up and then called back a minute later to use the golden ticket. Yeah, it was hilarious.
Speaker 3: I was like, And whenever he would do bets with the crew, it was always, well, you're gonna have to sing a duet with me if you lose. Yeah, And and of course Eddie was victim to that.
Speaker 1: It was we had a lot of fun moments with real talk back back in the day. And and and I always love he would do like three things and then the third one was always something that would get dumped. Remember he would do like three things. Two were benign and then the third one was next level. JJ from Ohio rights into the mid I says, guys. After the Calves won the title here I live near Cleveland. I purchased a brand new wardrobe of championship merchandise to celebrate the Calves winning. Will you and Danny be doing the same for the Dodgers with their World Series? Were you gonna buy a bunch of clothes? I don't know, abo. I might buy a shirt or a hat, but I don't think I'm gonna go crazy. Are you Danny?
Speaker 3: You gonna no, no, because you don't want to look like you just started rooting for the team. You don't want to look like an advertisement for one series. But those hats are sweet. I took a picture of Dave Roberts wearing one of the hats thread the gold thread that says twenty twenty four, really big on the front of it, so nice, and I sent it to my better half immediately, and I was like, I want this.
Speaker 1: Hat, so that'll be in your collection my stocking. Yeah, my favorite JJ is Contraman we talked about. I had the twenty seventeen World Series hat World Series Champion hat for the Dodgers, which obviously they never made it because the Astros cheated. The assholes cheated. But that's my favorite. Probably i'll get something, I'm sure. I'm not. I don't anticipating, you know what. I used to love those old school I think they still make them, those cartoon character drawings of the players on the shirt. They do it more for basketball.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I remember when that was really popular.
Speaker 1: It's back in the like the nineties or whatever, eighties, nineties. But are those are pretty neat? Those are pretty neat? Reggie from Detroit says, hey, Ben and Danny and Jeorde watching the World Series. Congrats your Dodgers. Where does Freddie Freeman's performance rank in your lifetime for postseason dominance? He says, how do you rank these? In my life? I still think to this day that as good as Freddie was, and he tied the record for RBIs in a World Series and all that, if you go back to the twenty twenty one NLCS, because I was at all those games, the Braves and the Dodgers, Eddie Rosario, I still don't believe what I watched with Eddie Rosario. And yet Freddie Freeman statistically in terms of run production was better. But Eddie Rosario batted five to sixty in the National League Championship Series and the guys have scrubbed like Freddie Freeman's a borderline Hall of Fame player. Probably will be in the Hall of Fame after that World Series when you combine with his regular season numbers. But Eddie Rosario, So that's my guy right off the top of my head. Anybody for you, Danny, postseason dominance? Anything come to your mind there? Well?
Speaker 3: Ki k had a good run up until the World's Yeah, he was a nice turbo booth getting us to the series.
Speaker 1: I saw on the MLB Network they had his side by side regular season postseason and his batting average is like twenty five or thirty points higher in the playoffs. All of his numbers.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah yeah. His postseason dominance the numbers is on base slugging is up there with Babe Ruth.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, really good. I remember when we were younger. Was it Billy Hatcher of the Reds. I remember one year he had a really good playoff run. But who the heck? Who the heck knows? All right? Next up mass whole Mickey. I think we already talked about him, he writes in he says, Hey, Ben and Danny g this one is for Ben. How long in advance did you know about going to Boston, he says, because I may or may not know someone in the event organization for the WU Socks and may or may not be able to get you to throw out the first pitch of a WU Socks game at beautiful Polar Park in Central Mass heart of the Commonwealth, the Dirty WU in Worcester, Mass. So I usually know about a month month and a half in advance. It really depends on if they pick up the TV show next year. I won't know until I don't know, maybe April May something like that. Next year usually let us know by then if that happens, I'll be back in Boston for sure next year, and I'll let you know. That would be That would be awesome. I would love to do that. I've not been able to. We used to do this all the time, Dame, these minor league games back in the day. I love those. It was so much fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and shouts out to the Patriots for letting the Dodgers borrow their big private jet.
Speaker 1: Well, they're not gonna have it for championships anymore, so they might as well have somebody else use it for championship.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 1: Oh, by the way, mass Will Mickey says, fun fact ted Williams his first turn at bat April fourteenth, nineteen thirty nine, was at Fitton Field at holy Cross. He had his first home run in Massachusetts in an exhibition game versus holy Cross, which drove in Jimmy Fox, Jimmy Joe Cronin, and Bobby Door. And he says Worcester is home to a speak easy that Babe Ruth drink at during prohibition times. Well, let me know about that. Mass Will making my wife loves speakeasies. So if we end up in town next year fingers crossed, not Holy Cross, but fingers crossed, well, we'll go check that out. And also we had a message from Zach. He's offered all kinds of perks for the mal Greating twenty twenty five. I hope we can make that happens. Act. I know you working eight nine days a week, so we'll we'll keep you posted. He did offer free parking, so he said, I can get free parking, Danny, which is very important. Free parking. I need free parking.
Speaker 3: That's half of what it takes to get you to go somewhere.
Speaker 1: Pretty much. We'll get out on that. Anything you want to promote, Danny. I'll be back tonight at eleven o'clock and I'll be up all night at eleven o'clock Pacific two am on Monday morning in the East.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'll be back on the air Monday afternoon with Covino and Rich for drive Time two to four pm on the West side, and that is five to seven pm in beautiful Saint Louis, Missouri.
Speaker 1: There you go knock it out there in Saint lous and have a wonderful rest of your day. Enjoy the NFL. Go Rams, Go Rams today and we'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Raiders lose. I want a top quarterback.
Speaker 1: Right you've turned. It's over now, It's all over.
Speaker 3: Later, skater got a murder. I gotta go.