Speaker 1: On today's episode of News, We're talking Doune three News, We're talking Emmy norms. It's news. Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosie Night and welcome back to x ray Vision, the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, calling some pop culture company from my heart, where we're bringing you three episodes a Weeklas News, It's news, It's news.
Speaker 2: You made it. It's another week. Congrats, Yay news. In today's news, we are catching up on the biggest geek news of the week, including the twenty twenty six Emmy nominations, which featured some of our fabes, the latest trailer for Dune three, Oh Baby, Paula Trades, he's doing the bad stuff. He's doing it. It's happening, and PlayStation eliminating physical media because they hate you owning anything. But first, it's the Emmys.
Speaker 1: Emmy nominations have been announced and here's some of your top line numbers. The Pit leads all shows with total nominations twenty five noms for the Pit. That is followed by Hacks with twenty four, a record for comedy series in a single year. This feels like a reaction a bear anti bear as a comedy reaction, Finally swinging back the other way. Newcomer Widows Bay leading all new shows with nineteen nominations and much.
Speaker 2: Deserved misses followed, but we love that.
Speaker 1: This is followed by Ploribus eighteen, the most Vince Gilligan has ever received for a date season of his show, and showing the rise of Apple TV plus as a premium television destination. Then comes season two of Beef, sixty nominations from Netflix and eight twenty four DTF say the absolutely mad cap did did you watch that?
Speaker 2: Oh my god crazy? I'm surprised that did not scream award show to me even though I knocked it. And I have to say, I wonder if this is representative of who is voting or how TV voting is changing. But both Widows Bay and DTF Saint Louis being on here so high were like really good for me, Like I feel like that's the kind of weird shit that needs to be getting nominated.
Speaker 1: I could imagine Widow's Baby because the critical reviewing has been so high quality and so full of praise. DTF Saint Louis is so fucking weird, And I did not get the sense from just scrolling around that like a lot of people were watching it. So I was pretty shocked. It's you know, if you haven't watched it, it's an indescribable show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't even understand.
Speaker 1: This about secret lives and being the person that you want to be, and sex and the way that we relate to each other over sex and the it cannot be explained, just you gotta watch it.
Speaker 2: So weird.
Speaker 1: Then came Senta It Live our only like network appear truly eleven nominations for Saturday Night Live from NBC, and I think another surprise eleven nominations for Spider Noir on Amazon.
Speaker 2: Dude, that is very interesting to me, especially because I will say, look, Spider Noir, it was fun. We had fun with it. I'm gonna tell you that shocked me simply because I do think there's one big snub here that it was not fully snubbed. It got like a couple of technicals. But for me, I think it welcomed to Darry should have been way higher up. I think it should have gotten so many norms for performances. I think it should have got norms for writing, like it's so fucking good. It should have got like I don't know, I don't think Amy's does ensemble, but like it was just so good and the fact Stranger Things got more norms than that, to me, it was kind of crazy, like that was the one show that I felt like didn't get the love it deserted. But also it's a horror show well so traditionally very normal. I was happy to see Night of the Seven Kingdoms get Outstanding Drama though, because I think that is just such a special show, Like that's easily my pick for that category this year, Like I would pick it over the pit. I think we go through some good shit like that.
Speaker 1: Let's go through some of these categories out saying DRAVI, you mentioned it The Diplomat on Netflix, The Gilded Age, a Night of the Seven Kingdoms Paradise, which I also thought was a bit of a surprise. The pick crazy plorabis slow horses Apple TV Plus and your Friends and Neighbors Apple TV Plus. Apple TV Plus also kind of owning the I was going to see people with rich people with dark lines kind of category.
Speaker 2: Kind of crazy that Apple TV has an equal amount of nominations in Outstanding Drama sees series as HBO. There is a time a couple of years ago where you would have never have seen that coming or won a lot of money if you bet that you did. So their long play has really gone hit, and I think it's actually kind of crazy. I'm not gonna say, I'm not gonna lie. Outstanding Drama Series. So we have Diplomat that's like a spy series, right, Gilded Age, it's a period piece. Nine of the Seven Kingdoms is a fantasy paradise. It's a sci fi. The Pit it's hospital standard plural us, it's a sci fi, it's a spy. We're getting a lot of like quite genre heavy pieces here being recognized in these categories in a way that I feel like doesn't often happen. So that's really fun.
Speaker 1: Outstanding Comedy Series, Avid Elementary, The Bear Boo Who it's not a comedy, Hacks, Margo's Got Money, Troubles, which is excellent. Nobody wants this from Netflix only Murders in the Building, new season from Hulu and Shrinking from Apple TV plus. Shouts to our favorite Harris at Ford d Widows Bait from Apple TV plus. That's this is a man, super super strong category. The Outstanding Limited Series All Her Fault from Peacock, The Beast in Me from Netflix, Beef, DTF Saint Louis Love Story JFK Junior in Caroline Bissett, which I started watching.
Speaker 2: A little bit. I actually think that Beef and DTF Saint Louis are the firm runners for that one.
Speaker 1: I honestly so fucking shocked if DTF Saint Louis wins, it's me too.
Speaker 2: But the rest, like love Story JFK and Carolyn Bessett, it's fine, right, It's very like standard what you expect it to be. The Beast in Meat is actually fantastic, but it's super bleak and weird, and it's really a two hander, So I would love to see that win. All. I thought it's very like what you think it is from the title. But I feel like even though Beef season two we know it dropped off thirty percent of those big Netflix conversations, I think that there's something about the anthology of it all. The casting is very appealing to voters, but DTF Saint Louis getting in a tour makes me think there's a chance it could win, which is just crazy to me.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about some of the snubs and surprises. Yes, so Stranger Things shut out of all major character categories. Final season earned seven Craft nominations but zero Outstanding Drama Series, Lead Actor, Lead Actress, any above the line categories, which I found surprising, especially for the last season of a huge show.
Speaker 2: That's why Hacks, I think as well, got so much recognition this season. Final season. Incredible season, so funny and like a little bit of that late stage recognition. I think Stranger Things was, you know, in a complicated situation because it has essentially become It was the show that launched Netflix, but in its own way, it's also the show that's kind of killing Netflix because of it's set up, the established two to three years between the kids are growing up too much. There's not enough episodes, you know, so it's interesting to kind of see it end that way. But yeah, I agree. I mean, I think that it got like one or two technicals, and I feel like it should have been up there for technicals as well as in my opinion, like performances and writing. But yeah, not surprise for me. As Stranger Things, I think it's a complicated space and if you really look at the quality of the show, like compared to some of these other shows, it doesn't have the juice. I will say Widow's Bed to Me was a surprise, but simply just because of the timing was so close right, Like it was like could it is it really going to get the juice with voters to get in this close? And it did and it deserves it completely Like nineteen and I'm so gag Kato Fling got nom like they really recognized the talent in that show. Jason, I think the hardest category for me to pick is the comedy series with that Abbott, Elementary Hacks, Margo's Got Money, Troubles Shrinking, which people love. We also saw Jessica Williams get and I mean non finally for Shrinking, which I love, the big cool comic book zine Head There She's a baddie. I love her. What and Widow's Bay. What is your pick? Because I think that's the hardest category to pick from.
Speaker 1: I think I would go Widows Bay Immediate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so too. I think the motion. I think it has the motion. I think it has the momentum. I think it was generally seen as a pretty flawless first season. I would also probably go for that though. I do just think that last season of Hacks was amazing and I love Quinta. I think abb Elementary is great. But yeah, Margo's got money troubles. I'd love to see that pull through as a little like underdog, but I think right now Widow's b or shrinking is probably the safe bet.
Speaker 1: Other surprises and snubs the boys in Euphoria.
Speaker 2: Is that a surprise? I don't know, I mean, but I do want to say, for for Zendea, I loved that she got numbed. She got numbed even though she's three for three nombed every season for Euphoria, and she didn't even do any fucking for it.
Speaker 1: No Sydney Sweeney, No Sidney Sweeney despite heavy, heavy campaigning.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. I mean Sam. Sam probably told her she'd get nominated if she got her boobs out in that fifty foot Woman sequence, which I personally did love, like it's a crazy sequins, but like, come on, babe, you were never getting it. I'm sorry A sendays show.
Speaker 1: Bad Bunny nine nominations. I think A delightful surprise here from the super Bowl. From the Super Bowl Halftime Show, Taylor shoft eras tour five nominations on Disney Plus, which is crazy, and I think this is I think a surprise just feels like a generational surprise. Subway Takes, the YouTube series has been nominated for Outstanding Short Form Comedy Drama of Variety. Huh, this is like we've arrived. You've arrived at this level.
Speaker 2: By the way, can I just say, what happened to Chicken Shop?
Speaker 1: Why? Why not chicken Shop? I think Chicken Shop is funny.
Speaker 2: Is kind of crazy that she didn't get no because she was so in the ind things hot ones. I mean, I wonder what it is about Subway Takes, specifically who's dad, Who's whose kid is that? But that's actually really funny. I want to say thank you to everyone, many of my loved ones who sent me the Subway Takes with that old man who hates Christopher Nolan and said, this is you. It's true, I am a Christopher Nolan sink. But I want to specify. While me and that guy agree on most things, I don't love once upon a time in Hollywood guys, So let's just clear that up. But yeah, Subway to do very crazy.
Speaker 1: Should we talk about your what is what is your Christopher Nolan issue.
Speaker 2: My Nolan issue is like less about the actual films, which are obviously very well made, and more about like the way that certain directors are like built up right. It's like it's very tiring to constantly be told this is the best director in the world when there are like incredible directors working. I would also say The Batman Christophanolan movies like did so much damage psychically culturally to like the grim dark trend that I will never be able to truly love them. And also, guys, I gotta tell you something else. And Christopher Nolan, I'm excited for The Odyssey. So if you're listening, as I know you do, it's getting it's getting great reviews, right, But I just want to say, inception you like that movie, go watch a movie called Patrick Obabe. Was she coming? These motherfuckers just be ripping off anime all day every day. Like that's my issue with Christopher Nolan. There's many I think he's fine. He's a good direct though, he went to film school. Good job.
Speaker 1: I think that here's my Christopher Nolan take. I think that he is an excellent director. I think he has made many, many really great movies. And then every single one of these movies, even the ones I don't like, like Interstellar, yeah always have or or Tenant, there's always two to three scenes that I would pull up on YouTube and rewatch agree, Like I would rewatch the the terrorist takeover of the Performance Hall from Tenant, I would watch that against So I think that's like really well done, even though that movie is absolutely poppy cock.
Speaker 2: And guess what, I love sham mockery.
Speaker 1: Confused mess and Interstellar is just like sappy fucking nonsense, but like arriving on the new planet, like there's a bunch of stuff that's really good.
Speaker 2: He's well, that's what I'm saying. Like I was convinced to be excited about the Odyssey because of the Trojan Horse sequence I saw at Cinema. Con Like that man can do a fucking action sequence. Think about the Bain sequence, even the really both both the robbing the Wall Street is a great sequence in that movie and the Bain sequence in the Gotham Nights Stadium, right, Like Christopher Nolen can fucking he can make a set piece. I mean even the inception set piece that was definitely him kind of you know, auditioning to be the James Bond director where they have this snow set piece right like that ship bangs like I bet you did.
Speaker 1: He doesn't want to do that. My guess is that he would not want to really be the James Bond director unless they would give him significant leeway to.
Speaker 2: Be probably run by Amazon, I would say. But I'm interested to see Denise take on it, And yeah, like I just I I'm very interested to see how The Odyssey is taken because I do feel like it contends with a lot of the issues I have with his previous movies, and I think I'm interested to see the way he's been kind of holding up Zendaya and talking about how great she is. And I'm very interested to see how The Odyssey plays. We will be seeing it on Monday night, Jason, so we will be seeing it very soon, and I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: Next up, PlayStation is ending physical media. Sony Interactive Entertainment has announced that physical game disc production for all new video games released on the PlayStation console will end starting January twenty twenty eight. After that date, new games will be available exclusively in digital formats. This good for you. There's a million different reasons why this is a bad idea, but like but been a natural evolution, is a cost saving idea. There's every expectation that PlayStation six will be almost certainly digital only, and this is yet another step towards not being able to own the media that you purchase, not having control over it. It's bad, but I'm unclear what we can do about it and how it can force the industry to change. Jean Luke Melenchan, France's left wing presidential candidate, called for a legislative review of this, saying, quote, tomorrow you will pay without ever owning anything. He called video games cultural assets, not me merchandise, and that's absolutely true. In the streaming era, when you purchase a movie or a television show or a season of TV shows digitally, do you own it? Do you own your ebooks? Can your ebooks be edited without you knowing? All of these are reasons why physical media has an important place still in the world despite this clear loss for those of us who are fans of physical media.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very heart breaking in my opinion because also this is one of those like butterfly effect choices where it starts with the gamer right, like we want to own the game, we want to be able to play the game whenever we want. But then it has ripple effects. You can't share your games with your friends anymore if they're digital games. Also, it has bigger ripple effects. What happens to a game stop, right? What happens to businesses that are built a CeX in the UK on selling secondhand physical media? Right? I think that is one of the things that we will truly lose with this. I mean, the good thing is the games we already exist, already exist, and we can own them and we can purchase them. I do think this is worrying. Jason. My biggest question for you is, and I know the answer, but I think this is something they'll have to contend with. They are going to start these programs and these purchases with the prices at the same price that a physical one would be. Right. That's the big issue is like they would They're going to charge eighty dollars for a physical download, right? Yeah? Yeah, So that I think is the biggest thing that they're going to have to contend with because before the price could be argued that it was the manufacturing, right, But how do you put a value on something that you don't even have the purpose to own. Now, the value comes from the work and the labor of the video artists and the animes and the programmers and shit. But like, how do you sell eighty dollars of nothing to people? I guess this is.
Speaker 1: Well, it's an eighty dollars license to be clear.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry, it's an eight dollar video rental essentially, right, right.
Speaker 1: It's it's a license. They can revoke your license for any time for whatever reason. But you're paying now for to essentially rent the video game that you used to in the past buy and put your finger on it. It is. It's very annoying that despite the fact that they are cutting out the costs associated with the physical manufacture of this past media, the price will stay the same, despite the fact that now all they need to do to deliver the product from them to us is send it down the pipe. They don't need to send it to yeah, to a printer that will then print it on the discs and source the discs and put it on the colors and yeah, the Shiperia.
Speaker 2: Walk and the awe and blah blah blah blah blah. They cut all of that out. But I don't think that they will immediately cut the price.
Speaker 1: Very very very annoying. I will guarantee that they will not cut the price. They may because of this backlash be like, oh, now it's like five dollars less. But that's why I think sincerely doubt it. And then finally we got the full trailer of Dune three A Timothy Shalomes and DAYA They Go to War. The new trailer debuted July eighth and an Imax Global fan event and is now available to see on the Internet. Danny Villeneuve and Timothy Shanley presented it before audience is in LA with simulcast in Chicago, Dallas, Toronto, Montreal, London, Berlin, Mexico City, and Abu Dhabi. An extended clip will screen before the Imax seventy millimeters showings of The Odyssey, so we will potentially get to see this on the seventy millimeter Imax screen Monday, and at each screening location, one audience member found an envelope under their seat for a private advanced screening of the film. All of this tells me, Rosie, they think it's good, Dad, They gets it's good.
Speaker 2: Brodd know they have done. This movie comes out the same day as doomsday? Can we remember that? And they have done two different global trailers.
Speaker 1: We have zero Doomsay screeeners at this official doomsday anything like oh, we're getting is leaks of leaks of leaks, and.
Speaker 2: It's like they think the movie's great. The trailer is huge. If you are a fan of the books, you're likely gonna be kind of shocked by the trailer. Me and a Boo, we're talking about this a little bit. It really is leaning into what they set up in Dune Part two, which is the idea of Chinese is almost like a anti Paula trades warrior or like activist, which is not something from the books. We also get to see Anya Taylor Joy here with her baby bangs. This is the movie that was never officially gonna be called Dune Messiah, but we all assumed we'd be adapting that part and we do see that here. Like Poorie A, he's doing a genocide, he's causing problems. Both the kids are going to be in it. So we're really speeding through the timeline. When I went to the it's far ahead, right.
Speaker 1: This is a seventeen year jump, and to your point, the characters from June Messiah dun Duncan Idaho back from the dead as a clone is a character in that and his returns here. Also the character Skytail, who's a Lee lu Stancier from the book. Is this is Robert Pattinson's character. So, yes, this is the Dune Messiah adaptation of it. To your point, it certainly looks much changed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's definitely going to be changed, but I think it looks really great. We get to see some fremen action here. We get to see this kind of hint of who the Blade is. You know, what Paul's sister will do to allow him to connect and complete this kind of genocide. I'm very excited. I think they're going for Oscar here, for Zenda. I think she's going to be in big contention. Yeah, I trust any I like this. I really want to see how far we'll get with the kids, because that's where some really crazy shit happens with children of Dune. So yeah, I mean it looks banger. I did not go and see this trailer launch. I was at the first one, but I've watched the trailer a bunch of times and it does look different. Then he said, this is more of a political thriller. It's more of a pot boiler, it's more stealthy, it's more violent in ways you're not expecting. The second one was the big war movie. This is something different, So I'm really excited. I think it looks incredible and currently they are WB is definitely ahead of Avengers on hype for this because imagine, Jason, Yes, five years ago, was there a world where you would ever have bet that a Dune adaptation, big budget sci fi would be able to contend with and potentially crush an mcu event movie, Like no fucking way, Like this is a seen as an unfilmable book. You know, Lynch is one flop. I do think I love it. I love that this is where we're at, but it's crazy.
Speaker 1: I do listen. I do have some worries in the sense that this is a this is a big tent pole like hit, popcorn bucket type movie. And though Denny Villeneuve brings a kind of artistic flare to his films that are mainstream movies, I think this is going to be very challenging because what you're doing is, if you're adapting the book in in any kind of authentic way, you're taking the main character who's been the hero and you're turning him into a genocidal maniac who must be stopped.
Speaker 2: And will the.
Speaker 1: Audience go along with that?
Speaker 2: Right? I'm not sure it always type backlash, like people won't have seen it coming, or is it well enough known? Now I have to tell you something crazy. The last Dune movie the reason we're even getting this. So we talked about this the other day that Superman ended its run with six hundred and eighteen million dollars worldwide, which is not great, but it is what it is. Dude, Dune made seven hundred and fifteen million dollars worldwide. It beat Superman by almost a million dollar one hundred million dollars, and that, to me just showcases that there is a want for like epic sci fi that has not been being fed or served in a way that works for people. And I think both the rise of Apple and the success of these Dune movies are a big part of that. Now, I think you're right, Jason. Do people come out of this movie with a terrible cinema score because they hate Paul or are they understanding of a complicated figure and sort of will this be the moment where people realize what you know Herbert was really doing, which was critiquing the hero's journey, the solo one White Savior. So I think you're right. How does it lamb with audiences is the big question? Can it make a billion dollars is the biggest question? You don't think so I think it could. I think doing free you can make a billion dollars.
Speaker 1: I don't think it'll make a billion dollars, I'll be I think it'll be in that sub billion, eight hundred million, seven hundred million dollar range. I do not seeing I do not see it making a billion dollars.
Speaker 2: I think the reason that I think it has the potential to touch a bill this time round is the Zendea Robert Pattinson, Tom Holland kind of hype of Spider Man the Odyssey and this. I think it's giving Dooon a younger audience boost that we haven't seen for the other ones. And I think there is a way that, knowing the last one made seven hundred and fifteen, I think this could touch it. But I think you're right. I think realistically this could make eight hundred million and be seen as a huge success. I think there's a world where if Doomsday doesn't hit, this could touch a bill because it could play over Christmas for a really long time with a lot of people going to see it if it is the movie that defeats Doomsday. But I don't think that's likely. I think that's the underdog conversation right now. But it's crazy that it's a conversation at all.
Speaker 1: On next week's episodes of X ray Vision, we're diving into Christopher Nolans, The Odyssey, What and What Dragon End x RA ninety seven. That's it for news listening Bye. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Sepsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuza Part.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean, Jonathan and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator