Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast. Catch Just Live weekdays at noon Eastern on Appocarplay and then Roudoto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: On this debate day, we're finally here, the twenty seventh of June. We're told the most important day of the presidential campaign. Yet maybe we'll look back and call it the most pivotal day of the campaign in total. I was just talking to my friend John coming into the studio today. He said, I'd rather watch the Golden Girls, at least they're funny. But new numbers from Quinnipiac tell you otherwise. This is going to be a show tonight. Quinnipiac national poll of registered voters seven to ten. Seventy three percent say it is likely they will watch this debate tonight. Twenty five percent have other plans. That's pretty good. That's like Oscar's numbers, right. This could be the super Bowl of politics once again in Atlanta. Joe Biden, Donald Trump on stage for the first time in four years. And you know the deal with the rules. Yeah, they're gonna cut off the mic when the time is up. But this is going to be a fascinating thing to see. It's in the studio, of course, without the audience, where the two candidates will be, and then all heck breaks loose after in the spin room when the surrogates come in and they talk to the journalists and you know what, David gour is already in there. I love this, starting early in Atlanta, reporting for Bloomberg of course, the host of the Big Take podcast. But he's all ours today, David, how are things looking so far?
Speaker 3: Well, it's cool in here, which may be one of the driving reasons why I've come inside. It's great to speak with you, Joe, of course, And yeah, we're very curious how all of this unfolds. The head of the network that is putting on this debate has said quite frankly that he wants to harken back to something that we saw in nineteen sixty, that is the debate between JFK and Richard Nixon, that first TV debate. Wants to pare it back and not have the audience, not have any of that artifice. We'll see how that works. We'll see how these two candidates do with that kind of setting. I think what's prompting a lot of the curiosity that you're describing numbers that might even be better than the Oscars or the super Bowl, is just seeing how these two candidates navigate that, what they're going to look like on stage independently and with each other, and how they interact with the moderators of this debate. It is a curiosity and a curiosity, of course, Joe. That's coming a few months earlier than the most cycles. We're having this debate before we get to the political conventions, which is also novel in itself.
Speaker 2: It is novel, and you wonder what we'll think about this by the time we get to potentially a second debate, as they've scheduled in September. David, you know, I love to go to ground when you get on the road in a case like this, tell us what it's like. I'm assuming you've got media from around the world there tonight, and will you have ven you to talk to surrogates in the spin room later.
Speaker 3: They'll be here. We're looking forward to talking to them and we'll see who shows up and who is carrying the flag for both of these candidates right now, it's fairly quiet, and I will say one of the weirder facets of this is by virtue of the fact that the debate is taking place at CNN studios some remove from here, it does feel like there is a wider geographic distance than perhaps there is. We're not sort of interfacing a lot with the teams that are surrounding these two candidates, I should say, Joe Biden and Donald Trump arriving in town a little bit later this afternoon. But everyone with whom I've spoken knows this is happening is complaining about the traffic that's already started to slow down across the city. So it is certainly central, both geographically and on the mines of most at Lantin's here today.
Speaker 2: The President arrives two fifteen pm Dobbin's Air Reserve Base. According to his schedule, hees going straight from Camp David to Atlanta, Georgia today. David, are we going to see the traditional walk through or do we not see the president and former president until the lights go on at nine o'clock tonight.
Speaker 3: I don't think that there's anything on the schedule up until that point, and we are kind of watching to see what they do after this debate concludes, both in the hours after in the days to come. So there are watch parties throughout the city that are also fundraisers for these two candidates. Donald Trump expected to go to one at Kelly Luffler's house, she of course, the former senator from Georgia. And at that event we talked about the surrogates just a moment ago. Many of those surrogates who are also this group of finalists for the VP nomination for Donald Trump, expected to be at that party as well. And then Joe Biden likely to go to a party of his supporting plant as well. Before they hit the road. And where are they going to go to? They're going to go to swing states here in the South, Joe Biden going to North Carolina obviously has been a purplish or purple trending state in recent election cycles. Donald Trump going to Virginia to speak to his supporters there tomorrow, and then the President Joe Biden going to the northeast to the Hampton's and to New We're to do some high dollar fundraising on the heels of this. So, as you know, Joe, the event itself always exciting and telegraphs so much, and then we kind of see how that kind of changes or alters the message that these candidates are going to give and the run up to those conventions that of course the general election November.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's remarkable. They're not technically they're party's formal nominees. But here we are tonight, David Goura, you're in for a day. I'm really glad you're there, and we thank you. We'll catch up a little bit later on here on Balance of Power on the late edition, and then in our special coverage tonight, David's going to help us shepherd our way through this whole thing, starting at eight pm Eastern time here on Bloomberg TV and radio on YouTube, where you can search Bloomberg Global News and find us. We'll have a great panel for you. Rick Davis and Kristen Hahn will be here for the pregame and the post debate analysis. You don't need to go anywhere else but right here on Bloomberg for all of this. With the big curtain raiser courtesy our friend Don Levy at Siena College. More than two thirds of voters said the outcome of Donald Trump's criminal case in Manhattan made no difference to their vote. As we step into this debate tonight, the head to head result of the survey forty four percent. Mister Trump with his biggest lead in the Siena poll. Glad to say Don Levy is back with us. He runs the research institute at Siena College. This is the poll on the front page of the New York Times today. Don his biggest point margin when calculated before figures are round it to be exact here, mister Trump's lead with registered voters was an even larger six percentage points. How do you rationalize that after so much noise in his campaign.
Speaker 4: Well, we see a lot of movement in the campaign right now amongst a couple of groups, most especially independents. Trump picked up about three points over our poll in April amongst independents, and actually he closed a gap with.
Speaker 5: Women to a certain degree.
Speaker 4: Women is a constituency that President Biden certainly needs to carry and carry strongly, and that move from a double digitally down to only about six points amongst women. So we see some movement across the electorate, but we continue to focus to a great deal on a group of people that we call the double haters. And I think that what people need to look at is they look at this debate. Is everyone's going to look at it through their own prism. About seventy five percent of the electorate is baked in at this point. Those are people who have a favorable view of one of the candidates and an unfavorable view of the other. So, for example, of those voters who are favorable on Trump and unfavorable on Biden, they tell us that they're going to vote for Trump at rates of about ninety seven percent. Biden is similar in the other direction. But right now, if the vote were taking place just amongst those people, the love haters as we call them, Trump is up by two or three points in the battleground states, and nationally it's the double haters, the people who have an unfavorable view of both Biden and Trump, who ironically are set up to decide the election, and hopefully will be amongst those seventy seven percent that we fold who say they're going to tune in tonight.
Speaker 2: Those ironically will decide the election. Okay, so don for a seasoned polster who's been talking to these people, you guys, you know, come back around and follow up on interviews with your sample. Do we have any reason to believe that an event like tonight could move a double hater in one direction or the other?
Speaker 4: Well, I think absolutely we do, because some of the issues that affect double haters are just how they feel towards these these two candidates. Right now, Biden is losing in the two old battle, but Trump is losing in the temperament battle. And frankly, when you look at these double haters, those double haters will end up saying, I'll probably vote for Trump, but they're doing so more so because they view Trump as better on policies that matter to them most, especially the economy. When you look at the double haters who tell us that they might vote for Biden, it's because they simply don't like Donald Trump more than they dislike Joe Biden. Donald Trump assuayses those concerns tonight. That's going to help him with those double haters. If Joe Biden demonstrates that he's still with it, he's not too old to be president of the United States, that's going to help them. It's those qualities, those personal qualities that could sway those double haters a little bit.
Speaker 5: One way or another.
Speaker 4: He brought up the trial before. Amongst double haters, over twenty percent of double haters say, you know what, that trial made me feel more like I want to vote for a third party candidate rather than either of the two major party candidates.
Speaker 5: This debate is an.
Speaker 4: Opportunity for both Biden and Trump to speak to those double haters and to try to move them ever so slightly in their direction. Right now, Biden leads amongst double haters by about seven or eight points. He needs a bigger advantage there if he's going to overcome Trump's current advantage.
Speaker 2: And you just use the keyword I think done. That's temperament, right. If someone's going to be swayed away from Donald Trump tonight, it might not have anything to do with policy, but the way he comports himself. And we haven't seen Donald Trump in a debate in four years. We have seen him on the stump recently saying some pretty wild things. But doesn't this apply to both If Joe Biden comes in swinging and yelling, does his temperament be called suddenly into question?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And especially amongst these double haters, who are you can call them persuadable? You can call them swing voters. They're the ones whose minds are not completely made up right now. They rate Biden on temperament really at about a break even slightly better. Trump is a negative about ten points on temper So the temperament battle is up for grabs amongst these double haters, these pivotal voters. And how these candidates look, their facial expressions, how they treat one another, whether they can look through that camera and connect with American voters is going to make a big difference tonight and could very well turn the tenor of the election as we move on into these dog days of summer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've watched Joe Biden's favorabilities hover from upper thirties to low forties for a pretty long period of time. Here is there an equivalent for Donald Trump since he's not in office.
Speaker 4: Well, we track certainly Donald Trump's favorability. He tends to be a similar, if not lower number overall. But the difference being that the size of the group who like Trump but don't like Biden is now slightly larger than the group who liked Biden and don't like Trump. If you go back to two sixteen, when we first started to look at this dynamic between Hillary.
Speaker 5: Clinton and Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: Clinton always maintained a slight advantage in the percentage of Americans who viewed her favorably and Trump negatively as opposed to the opposite. So Biden right now is losing the battle of these love haters, if you will, But yet he still holds a slight advantage in the double hates. The double haters, by the way, tend to be younger. They tend to have voted Democratic in the last election by almost twenty points. So that's a group that Biden has lost. He needs to get those back, and they are ideologically as a group, more predisposed to vote for Biden than they are Trump. Yet at the same time they're desperately concerned about the economy.
Speaker 5: Biden also needs tonight.
Speaker 4: To somehow, some well, some way convince these double haters and all Americans that he understands the pressures that they feel economically and he's doing something about it. Right now, Trump has a decided advantage among Americans who feel as though he, rather than Biden, is a better economic steward.
Speaker 2: Double haters feel like to be a great name for a punk rock band. Don if I can just pull out here and pick a headline, maybe the most important thing that you've said. So for Donald Trump, if I heard you right, has pulled even with Joe Biden among women. If that's true, and you see you consider most of the bad news on abortion, if I call it bad news, potentially threatening news to Donald Trump politically when it comes to reproductive rights. We've gotten through the Supreme Court decisions at this point. Obviously Roe is behind Donald Trump. Is that meaningful here? And how much of a problem for Joe Biden.
Speaker 5: Well, it is a problem for Joe Biden.
Speaker 4: What in our most recent poll we found was that Biden's lead amongst women went from sixteen points to only five points. So Trump picked up eleven points amongst women. And so it's that fight, that balance between issues like abortion and issues.
Speaker 5: Around the economy.
Speaker 4: Right now, women have moved to the tune of eleven points towards Trump. I think that Biden is going to wrestle with that this evening and try to remind women that he represents their rights relative to reproductive freedom. At the same time, the economy weighs on, of course, not just women but everyone. It's the economy which seems to have pushed a greater percentage of women, not quite break even, but a greater percentage of women to now say that they would vote for Donald Trump rather than where they have historically been, more so in the Democrat account.
Speaker 2: He's leading the conversation today across the nation to this debate. Don Levy Siena College Research Institute Director, Thank you Don for the primer. As we get started on this debate day. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast kens just live weekdays at noon Eastern on Applecarplay and then roud Oto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven.
Speaker 6: Thirty good mistakes this evening are incredibly high, both for the former and incumbent president and as we look ahead to what Joe Biden needs to accomplish for Democrats at large. Tonight, we want to bring in Democratic Congresswoman Abigail Spanberger of Virginia, who is joining us now live from Capitol Hill. Happy debate day, Congresswoman. Always great to see you here on Bloomberg TV and radio. When we look at what Joe Biden needs to accomplish tonight. Is it so much about the policy or about how he performs and speaks about it.
Speaker 7: I think it's about the choice between two men who are putting themselves both forward as potential presidents. Again, it's a question of which former or current president do we the United States of America, the American people want to have at the helm of our country, and so yes, policy will be a part of it. Certainly, our rights and our freedoms, certainly are continued.
Speaker 8: Growth of the economy.
Speaker 7: But I think what it really comes down to is do we want to return to a time where under the former president, former President Trump, we had attacks on communities, we had a questionable situation on the global stage, we had a president who wanted to pull away from NATO. We had a president who was willing and aggressively move forward in pulling back people's rights from voting rights to abortion rights. Or do we want to have a president like the president we have now, President Biden, who as a person is committed to the progress of this country, growing our economy, continuing to lower unemployment, continuing our long term recovery out of COVID, Which of course, as you all well know, is the best in the developed world, protecting the rights and the freedoms of our fellow Americans, and importantly to me, as a former CIA officer and someone with a background in national security, protecting the role of American leadership on the global stage.
Speaker 2: That's a big picture of you. Congresswoman. Your view from Virginia's seventh Congressional district is so important because you straddle such a wide swath of ages and demographics. A lot of people say that inflation is the number one issue in this race. That's what people are talking about. But you just gave us a thirty thousand foot view that gives us a choice on the approach to democracy, on big picture themes. What are the people of Virginia than want to hear tonight?
Speaker 8: It's about the approach of how we fix problem.
Speaker 7: Certainly Virginia across the seventh district, the issue of costs in the grocery store continues to be an important one that I hear about all the time.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 7: And so it's a question of whose approach, whose policies, Who's committed to the American people and to working to continue to lower cost to working to continue to decrease inflation, ensure that you know, more people can buy a home or have an affordable rent, More people can have the ability to move between jobs, because not only is unemployment low, but options and good jobs are there and available to them. And notably, people can care about multiple things at one time. And so, yes, across the board, I hear about the issues of cost, I hear about the challenges you know that people are facing in our economy.
Speaker 8: And you know, small business owners.
Speaker 7: Low unemployment's good, but there's still challenges for small business owners.
Speaker 8: Trying to find workers.
Speaker 7: Right, there's always even when the news is good, there's challenges.
Speaker 8: For some folks.
Speaker 7: And so the question be comes, what are the issues that are most important to voters? Certainly costs among them, but also it's about approach. It's about which president and right now we have you know, current and a former is going to do the good work and the important work of moving us forward on the issues that matter to people.
Speaker 8: And certainly, you know, we hear.
Speaker 7: A lot of talk about issues of freedom and particularly abortion rights and access to IVF and contraception, because across my district and across Virginia, there are many people who care about more than one thing, and so certainly we need a president in this twenty twenty four election who is focused on addressing all of the concerns that people have, recognizing those that have the greatest immediacy, certainly, but also recognizing that, yes, part of this is about approach, how someone seeks to govern and how someone seeks to lead.
Speaker 6: Well, Congressoman, you have brought up the issue of abortion rates a few times, are ready in this conversation. We of course got news on that today from the Supreme Court, which at least for now is allowing emergency access to abortion to continue in Idaho, even if this ruling is more on procedural grounds than actually on the merits of the case. But this is now the second time, as we are at the end of this Court's term, that they have ruled in favor of protecting, at least for the time being, abortion rights. How should that change Joe Biden's messaging around that issue tonight.
Speaker 7: Well, I think it's important to understand what the ruling or this discussion is actually even about. The question is about whether I'm tala write a law put in place under President Reagan to ensure that someone who walks into a hospital with a life threatening illness would be able to get the healthcare access that they need. The decision today is whether or not, when a woman walks into a hospital potentially facing a life threatening complication to her pregnancy, whether it is appropriate and required or not against the law for a medical doctor to.
Speaker 8: Save her life.
Speaker 7: This wasn't a ruling that codifies abortion access. This isn't a ruling that does anything to advance the rights of women. This is a ruling that say doctors can't look at a woman and say you must die because of our state law.
Speaker 8: And so I don't think that.
Speaker 7: It should change much of Joe Biden's President Biden's positioning in the discussion of the debate. In fact of anything, I think it will make clear that we are one court decision away potentially from a doctor being able to look at a dying woman and say I'm sorry, I can't help you.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not lost on us Congresswoman that Donald Trump is going to make a bee line for your state after the debate. Tonight, He's on his way to Chesapeake, Virginia. He'll be speaking in that Norfolk area of awfully important area for electoral votes with Governor Glenn Youngkin. Virginia's coming to play a fascinating role in this campaign is maybe the purplest of states. I don't know how you'd describe its woman, But what does it tell you that Donald Trump is going to Virginia to give Glen Youngkin a hug tomorrow?
Speaker 7: So I think Virginia is a wonderful place and everyone should visit. So I certainly don't fault the former president to wanting to come to our great Commonwealth. But notably more of the question is why it is that our governor, who has previously never welcomed the president and in fact left the state the last time President Trump came to Virginia, is now going to be there to.
Speaker 8: As you say, give him a hug.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 6: Congresswoman, though, just speaks more widely to this idea that the Trump campaign has been espousing that polling suggests they are competitive in the state of Virginia, they actually think that they could win it. Does Joe Biden need to be spending more time there himself? Should he add a list to the swing states he has been visiting frequently since Super Tuesday?
Speaker 7: So President Biden spends a fair amount of time in Virginia. He was in Virginia just maybe the month before last. Certainly, we have an incredible team on the ground working for the Biden campaign. And you know, certainly our own Senator Tim Kaine is up for reelection this year and barnstorming across the state as is, as are so many of our elected folks working in roles of surrogate. So I certainly, you know, if welcome President Biden to come to Virginia, but Virginia is not going to go for former President Trump in this election.
Speaker 8: I feel quite certain saying that.
Speaker 2: Congress Woman, with your background in national security and intelligence and from your perch on the Intelligence Committee, I wonder your thoughts as we watch Evan Gershkevich's trial begin in Russia this week. It's a story we were talking about quite a bit earlier in the week. Yesterday was the start of that trial. What would a President Trump mean for his detention?
Speaker 7: First, I wanted to just begin by recognizing the incredible sacrifice that members of the media, particularly those who travel to tell stories into countries where the media is not just disrespected, but is targeted and is arrested and is imprisoned, as we have seen.
Speaker 8: In this case in Russia.
Speaker 7: I think that it would be deeply worrisome from my perspective, but I think it's one that is far more broadly held if President former President Trump were to again enter the White House.
Speaker 8: For two reasons.
Speaker 7: One, he has always taken the side of Vladimir Putin over our own intelligence agencies, over our own experts. He has spoken in defense of an authoritarian regime.
Speaker 8: And notably, he at.
Speaker 7: Home, has done a great deal to degrade, to demean, and to target the press and the media for doing the job that is theirs to do. They are supposed to be critical of us elected leaders. You all are supposed to hold us to account. And so I think a president who seeks to be more or like a couton here at home would do very very little to defend an American who, in pursuit of telling the truth, in pursuit of reporting back is congress Woman.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Abigail Spanberger with the View from Virginia.
Speaker 5: This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: If you're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast, catch Just Live weekdays at noon Eastern on Apple car Play and then Roud Otto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 6: Taking you from New York with Charlie Pellett to here in Washington with me and Joe down to Atlanta today as we preview less than eight hours from now the first presidential debate between Joe Biden and Donald Trump. It is an incredibly high stakes evening for both campaigns, and it's worth noting this will be Donald Trump back in Georgia after getting indicted in that state many months ago. Joe, of course, there is not and the prevailing thinking right now that he will end up going to trial in that racketeering case that was brought against him there. But of course this is going to be an appearance by the former president after being a convicted felon in a separate criminal case in New York. The thing is pulling out within the last twenty four hours suggests that that conviction doesn't matter much at all.
Speaker 10: Yes, we head into the season.
Speaker 2: Isn't this something We've heard this anecdotally. Sienna puts numbers on it today in front of The New York Times. We talked to Don Levy about it earlier in the program. More than two thirds of voters in this poll, first time SIENA poll since the trial ended, say the outcome of his criminal case made no difference to their vote two thirds. In fact, some Republicans were more likely to support him. It's different than conventional wisdom might suggest. Another interesting number I'll throw at you, Quinnipiac. You wonder who the heck's going to watch this thing tonight? Seven to ten registered voters say they will be watching, which would make this among the highest rated things to ever happen on television. Of course, we'll have it here for you on Bloomberg. Let's assemble our panel. As Kaylee said, We've put together a great one for you today. Rick Davis is with US Republican strategist of course, Bloomberg Politics contributor, joined by Joel Rubin, Democratic strategist, former Deputy Assistant Secretary of State of the Obama administration. It's great to see both of you here. Rick, You've prepared candidates for debates just like this one. Obviously they're presumptive nominees. In this case, it's a little different. It's coming pretty early, but the stakes are arguably higher if there's an audience like this. Quinnipiac poll suggests seven and ten. We cannot underscore the impact this could have on the campaign. How are you looking at it?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think that this was a real gamble.
Speaker 12: I think to forego the Commission on Debates and try this, you know, one CNN debate as a test to see.
Speaker 11: Whether or not people would tune in.
Speaker 12: Certainly the polling data indicates that they likely will, and we know that historically high debates for like eighty you know, eighty four million people tuning into view and that will be dwarfed. I'm sure by the follow on social media clips that people will view that happened the night before.
Speaker 11: So I think we can press assured.
Speaker 12: Based on what we know today, this is going to be something that voters are looking into because they're curious about what's going on with these two guys forty five versus forty six. You know, two presidents have never debated like this in a modern era, and so it's the kind of thing I think is as much a curiosity as it is a determining factor, because the reality is the country is divided very equally, and we're really talking about a few percentage points that are really up for grabs right now, and those are the folks that probably have the greatest stake in watching this debate.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're talking about a race divided for by a few percentage points. If the latest polling is to believe. New York Times Sienna has the spread between Trump and Biden three points. Trump, of course is leading. His lead is even greater with registered voters. Nothing else interesting though, in this poll Joe Joel is that only seventy two percent of voters who said they voted for Biden four years ago approve of the job he is doing as president. This is ninety percent of Republicans say they view Donald Trump favorably. It does seem that Trump has had much more success in consolidating his base of support than Joe Biden at this point. How does he reassemble the twenty twenty coalition this time around? How can he advance that effort further.
Speaker 9: Tonight, Kaylee, This is the question that the campaign is grappling with every day, and it's the kind of discussion that feel very confident that they're going to be able to execute in terms of making the case. Look, Joe Biden has been running the country for the last three and a half years. Donald Trump has been in and out of court and spending a lot of time on social media and doing things to get his base fired up. He did was that he should say twenty percent on a consistent basis in the recent primary. So I'm not sure about that ninety percent. But President Biden, he likes to say that, don't compare me to the almighty, compare me to the alternative, and the alternative will be on full display tonight, and that's going to really remind Democrats, who, you know, we're kind of a little bit behind the motivation factor when we see our guy in the White House. It's going to remind us about what's at stake in this election, and a lot is at stake. Fundamental freedoms for women, for LGBTQ Americans, a question of confidence, a question of integrity, all of these issues that motivated Democrats in twenty twenty. They're going to come right back to the fore and I think you're going to see a real big jump in that motivation going forward from tonight.
Speaker 2: Rick, these two gentlemen are going to be in people's living rooms tonight. If at least this goes well, that's what they're hoping for. We keep talking about temper and flare ups, people acting crazy. To the extent that you've spent time with candidates experience the nerves that preceded an event like this. How important is a sense of humor?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 12: I think it's critical at least just to cut the very stiff air that exists, especially.
Speaker 11: Right before the debate.
Speaker 12: I mean, I like to put myself, you know, in the timetable, and tonight, both these candids are going to sit down with a very select group of people to have dinner.
Speaker 11: It's late enough in this debate. They're going to want to eat first.
Speaker 12: And the most important thing that I found in the past, whether it was for John McCain or George Bush or Bob Dohole or any of these candidates that had big debates in their lifetime, was to break the sort of tension in the room and have some fun. I remember when Lindsey Graham showed up at a presidential debate wearing a John McCain rubber mask, and you know, basically went on to pretend to be in the debate tonight and told John that look, if there was anything going wrong with him, he'd be happy to step in with the.
Speaker 11: Rubber masks that night.
Speaker 12: And so you know, you just got to have somebody just change the topic a little bit to get these guys relaxed, because, as we've talked, it's a tense moment for anybody, and this is one that will it will be tense for both Joe Biden and Donald Trump.
Speaker 6: So it will be tense, just as all presidential debates are. But as we've mentioned, there are many things that are making this particular presidential debate different, not only the Commission's lack of involvement, but the rules of engagement here with the cutting off of microphones, with the lack of a live audience, also with the fact that it's taking place in not only a swing state, but a state in which one of the candidates on the stage has been indicted on multiple felonies in the case related to twenty twenty election of subversion, the racketeering case that was brought against Trump and many other defendants. Of course, what went down in Georgia has made Donald Trump a few enemies, even within his own party, or at least those who aren't eager to vote for him, including the Governor of Georgia, Brian Kemp, who had this to say on CNN Line last night.
Speaker 2: In the Georgia promer, I didn't vote for anybody. I'll voted, but I didn't vote for anybody. I mean, the race was already over when the primary got here.
Speaker 8: But you didn't vote for Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: I'd vote for anybody.
Speaker 11: Why not because the race is over with.
Speaker 6: He didn't vote for anyone, Okay, but he definitely decidedly did not vote for Donald Trump. Joel, I would love to have you weigh in on this, considering what happened in Georgia in twenty twenty everything in the aftermath, how we should be thinking about the state of Georgia for Trump and Biden in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Kaylee, I mean, I think Donald Trump's already been fingerprinted down in Georgia, so maybe he doesn't have to worry about getting hauled in again. Look what Brian the governor who won convincingly against Donald Trump endorsement or our tacks, I should say, he basically demonstrated the lingering resentment within Republican leadership and within many Republicans around the county towards Donald Trump's actions in that election. And look, he's not alone. Many people who closely advised and worked for Donald Trump up to his vice president, have said he's not fit for office, have said he should never be near the oval office again, have said that he tried to overthrow a democracy. The Secretary of Defense who served for him, Mark Esper, said that he tried to use or wanted to use the military to overturn the election results. So I'm glad that Brian Kemp is loyal to the American constitution. I think that Americans will see President Biden is loyal to the American constitution. I'm confident that the moderators will ask about whether or not Donald Trump will accept the results, and he, when asked in twenty twenty, basically said no and implied that he was going to have the Proud Boys in white supremacist group take action if necessary. And this is a man won't last thing. I should mention who said that he would only be a dictator on day one. Those are the of if he wins again, those are the kinds of stakes that we're looking at. Brian Kemp didn't like it that President Trump tried to undermine the will of his voters in Georgia and steal that election, and clearly that has not been repaired.
Speaker 2: Something tells me. You'll hear that line tonight, Rick, we've only got a minute left. What do you tell your candidate about how to deal with the moderator or in tonight's case, the moderators.
Speaker 12: Well, they're gonna have two totally different approaches tonight, right, Joe Biden is gonna be very solicitous of the moderators. He's going to ask for extra you know, like did I use up all my time?
Speaker 11: Can I?
Speaker 12: He's like a boy scout. He wants to play by the rules. And that's what we saw in the two debates before with Donald Trump. Donald Trump will abuse the moderators. He'll look for every opportunity to make the case that this is three on one and throughout the MAGA world. This debate is not a debate between him and Joe Biden, but him against Joe Biden and the two CNN moderators. And so he'll make good use of them as a foil. And I think that that's part of the temperament issue that he's got a judge just to you know just how negative is he going to come out? But you know, he'll he'll definitely treat them differently than Joe Biden's going.
Speaker 8: To all right.
Speaker 6: Rick Davis, Bloomberg Politics contributor and Republican strategists, and Joel Rubin, former Deputy Assistant Secretary of State under President Obama and Democratic strategists. Thank you both so much for joining us on this debate day.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast Ken Just Live weekdays at noon Eastern on Applecarplay, and then royd Otto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa playing Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: We're live from Washington with it I on Atlanta, Kaylee. The big game starts tonight, the debate at nine pm Eastern Time. Our special coverage will start at eight. But the President is on his way there now. He's left Camp David on his way to Atlanta. Donald Trump and Joe Biden on stage for the first time in four years in this Sienna College pol we've been talking about with The New York Times for the remarkable statistic Rick Davis mentioned it a short time ago. Sixty percent of registered voters think mister Trump will perform very or somewhat well in the matchup forty six percent, the same about Joe Biden. So that's where the bar is set for the many people at home tonight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and arguably Donald Trump had a hand in setting that bar low for Joe Biden, as he'd has repeatedly challenged him to debate him any time, anywhere, any place, now seems to be trying to lower the bar for himself in return, talking about how the moderators and CNN, which of course is the network hosting the debate, could be rigged against him. But what it all speaks to Joe is that the stakes tonight are incredibly high, and who was perceived to have the better performance potentially could get ahead in an election that we know is going to be incredibly close and potentially incredibly volatile. And that's why markets will be watching it very carefully, especially if we get specific policy outlined by these candidates tonight. So here with a closer look at what's it's for the markets and how markets are positioned ahead of tonight's event is Bloomberg Markets correspondent Abigail Dolittle. He was joining us now from New York. So, Abigail, where are we likely to see the market reaction depending on how tonight goes.
Speaker 13: What's really interesting, Kaylee. Right now, relative to current markets, we're not seeing too much of a reaction at all. And this is interesting only because something that we know about markets investors they love certainty. Another way of saying that is that markets hate uncertainty, and we clearly have this big unknown in November. So if we go out to October and November, they're the uncertainty. The fear is showing, and that's showing in something called the VIS that's an index that measures a volatility of the markets. It is heightened right now at a seventeen to eighteen level, but right now, going into this debate, it's at a twelve. We have Bitcoin that's seen as another tell on volatility, risk on risk off. It's above an important support level above sixty. So going into the debate, investors seem relatively but as you mentioned, anything is possible. You were talking with Joe about the idea that former President Donald Trump that folks out there in the world sixty percent think that he might have a better performance. But the truth of the matter is we really don't know. I mean, maybe that mute button saves him in some ways. Because he has a little bit.
Speaker 8: Of a wild card.
Speaker 13: There is of course fear that President Biden may have some problems around coherency and that sort of thing. But if it turns into a make or break moment for either of these presidents presidential candidates, it means that the relatively narrow gap five to six percent with former President Trump in the lead could widen. Now, on the one hand, you would think that would provide certainty, but I think in this particular election year, I think that any sort of big volatile moment tonight that's going to probably bring that VIX and volatility expectations even higher.
Speaker 2: Well, it would be incredible to put numbers on it. And you always compelled by the conventional wisdom, Abigail, that the Republican in this case, Donald Trump is better for the markets than the Democrat here Joe Biden, who's seen what more than thirty all time highs for the S and P five hundred this year. The fact is, when you look at history, it shows us the markets by a small margin, but the markets actually tend to outperform under democratic administrations. Does Wall Street care about history in this case?
Speaker 13: It's interesting you're saying that because I was about to mention that that typically the markets do and again by a small margin, outperform under Democratic presidents. You know, something to think about here is it's not just the presidential election in the fall. It's also going to be the narrowly controlled Senate by the Democrats right now, and the Republicans have that narrow lead in the House. What investors would really like to see is one party controlling. All you and Kelly were mentioning the possibility of policy changes. Something that's really up for grab grabs is tax policy. We simply don't have enough information right now. But the Tax Cut and Jobs Act that was passed back in twenty seventeen, it expires next year. If it expires and nothing new is put in, corporate tax rates could go up thirty five percent. I believe that the Democrats, that the Biden administration has even floated the idea of a twenty percent twenty eight percent hike on the expiration, the Republicans looking at something like fifteen percent. Interestingly, and this made in some way support the idea that investors do like President Trump former President Trump just a bit better. The most highly taxed on an absolute basis, companies they're doing just fine this year and frankly for a couple of years, Apple, Berkshire, Hathaway, Microsoft and Exon. It's also, of course we have DJT, Donald Trump's own personal stock in a way of his media company up forty percent this week, so that seems to support some of the statistics that the both of you are talking about.
Speaker 2: This is great, great set up, Abigail, Thank you, Abigail do little Bloomberg Markets correspondent with US live from New York as we carry on from Washington with Balance of Power and add the voice of Andy Blocker. Been looking forward to this conversation from Investco, where he's global head of Public Policy and Strategic Partnerships. Andy, welcome to the table. It's great to say you today. I suspect you've got your watch party. What do you make of this though? What do the markets? What does the so called investor, of course not a monolith, think of this democrat and this Republican tonight? Is it a wash for Wall Street?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 10: I think generally speaking it is more of a wash if you look at it from a macro perspective. I mean, we've got to report out that basically says it doesn't make a difference. Do not do your investing based on who's presidence or Republican or Democrat. So we did a study that showed, you know, for the last one hundred years, if you just only were invested with Republicans, you would be this much, only Democrats this much, stay invested this much. So the question is where you're invested, not whether you're invested.
Speaker 6: Okay, but there's arguably a few things that could change that depending on who was president. For example, Donald Trump has floated the idea of tariffing everything coming from China at a sixty percent rate, which everyone we've spoken to, economists and otherwise have suggested effectively cuts off the trading relationship between the two largest economies in the world. Wouldn't that fundamentally shift what the investment outlook looks like when we're talking about policy this extreme.
Speaker 10: So that goes to what I said, it's specifically where you're invested in what so So tariffs are inflationary, So sixty percent with China inflationary, the ten percent across the board for every country of inflationary. But we really in the markets right now are looking at as an opening bid. We don't really think that any of these tariffs are going to be implemented at that level. They may be implemented less depending on what country, but he's going to do things country by country and see what we can get for that. Hey, you want your ten percent, or do you want to give us something over here that we want? Same thing with China. So I think to the extent that it becomes more real that we believe sixty percent would actually be implemented, that would have a major impact on the market, especially in the early day. So you're going to see a lot of volatility in the beginning and it could have an impact until it settles out.
Speaker 2: It's a great old saying on Wall Street, gridlock is good when it comes to Washington. I wonder our investor's less concerned about whether it's a D or an R in the White House, but more concerned that there's balance of power on both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue.
Speaker 5: Joe.
Speaker 10: I think that's a great point. I think we love split government in the markets because it really lowers the bidass spread of how far left or right you can go. It keeps you in the center and things there where there's a consensus, and that's where it's more predictable for us, and it leads us out from major policy changes.
Speaker 6: Okay, so arguably what we're all expecting, at least at this time, it seems that you're looking at a Senate that may flip red, a House that has the potential to flip blue, which means twenty twenty five from a tax policy perspective, could get really, really messy because, as Abigail was just talking about the twenty seventeen tax cuts, at least a large part of them are going to expire this year, potentially could impact the economic outlook if they do so, if they're held, obviously that has implications for the deficit and the long term trajectory of that. How do you look at the short term versus long term effects of those kind of decisions?
Speaker 10: So, Kaylee, that's the question. In a split government, how do they negotiate that out. I think if if it's a Biden presidency, because the individual tax cuts expire, he's gonna have a little bit of leverage to get some of what he wants from a split congress. For for for Trump, I think his ambitions of lowering everything may go away. So I think if you're looking at Biden's proposals. I think four hundred thousand and above you're gonna you're gonna either you're gonna pay more taxes. The question is what under four inun thousand. I think it'd be protected corporate tax. That's gonna be a negotiation. I don't think they're gonna go up to the twenty eight percent that Biden wants to. You may have to compromise on that. So from our perspective, the tax policy I think is gonna be somewhere in the middle. You're not gonna, we think split governments where we're headed now. If we don't have split government, that's where it gets very interesting.
Speaker 2: That's where things gonna actually change. I know you're not a market strategist, you're a policy gun. But with that said, when you back off and look at the markets, the last couple of presidencies and maybe where they're going, here are both of these guys lucky to be here When we look at this period of time, we're in a generational rally, a generational advance in the stock market. It's not a bad time to be here and take credit for it, is it?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 10: No, you're absolutely right, and I hope We're not just lucky to be here. Hope it continues, but no, I think the markets have really been resilient regardless of what the policies have been. There may be volatility at times to adjust to what the new norm is, but new innovation, you know, US is driving most of that with our innovative, entrepreneurial spirit.
Speaker 6: So the US may have the companies and the innovation and be you know, leading in terms of equity markets around the world, but the US also historically is just a leader in the world in terms of democracy. And Joe Biden is very much trying to make this election about the future of that democracy and the way that the US is going to be able to lead other democracies in the future. How should we think about the geopolitical element to what will go down tonight. Well, we'll hear from these candidates, but what this election means for the United States is standing in the global order.
Speaker 10: So I think when I when I talk to clients in Asia or Europe, there's a much more acute concern about that. In the US, it's split. I mean, if you look at a polling, just as many people who favored Trump are concerned about Biden's effect on democracy as the other way around, but overseas it's really tilted towards the concern about the ongoing democratic state and leading the world amongst our allies. So look, I think clearly amongst our allies, I think there's a preference for Biden. But in the US, I think when we looked at it, we really didn't see a difference with respect to Trump may be more radical in it's talking, but you kind of end up closer together with respect to policy. If I talk about tail risk, that's a whole nother thing, But we're looking at We're looking at the most likely risks at this time.
Speaker 2: This is a real reality check, you know, with a lot of the white stuff that you hear in anticipation of a change in power. The market view is important to us. Does it become potentially more volatile or a higher risk, for instance, for commodities you talk about oil prices, metals, copper, Some of the things that we do see sometimes turn on a dime.
Speaker 10: No, it does. But what we found is that well in our report that we released on the impact of the policies on the markets, the interesting thing we saw was that with Biden, oil companies did great, but under Trump, you know, alternative fuels did great, and partly that's because of other externalities, Like so you had the Russia Ukraine War. Sure, that's why those companies. Oil companies did well under Biden. So you have to mix it in with other things that are impacting the market. So it's not just all policy, even though policy is a factor.
Speaker 6: Well, speaking of other things that are impacting the market, obviously, FED policy could be hugely consequential. Consequential not just in terms of potentially helping decide the outcome of the selection, whether or not we get a rate cut, but also what happens to the independence of the Federal Reserve after the fact. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump and Biden both got a question about the FED in the debate tonight. Potentially, how should we be considering how whose president might influence the trajectory of monetary policy going forward.
Speaker 10: So look, I think if it's Biden, I think it's steady state at least on the surface. Allow them to be independent, even though you may be trying to influence in other ways. Whereas Trump is going to be pretty straightforward, He's going to be pretty aggressive he's said that he's going to you know, change the way that works, but he'll definitely browbeat the FED chair if he's there, which can you know, potentially lower rates faster than they otherwise would come down.
Speaker 6: All right, Andy Blocker, Global Head of Public Policy and Strategic Partnerships at Invesco, Thank you so much for joining us here inter Washington, d C Studio on what is Debate date.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Balance of Power podcast. Make sure to subscribe if you haven't already an Apple, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts, and you can find us line every weekday from Washington, DC at noontime Eastern at Bloomberg dot com.