Speaker 1: From Bahard.
Speaker 2: We're Innovation, Money and Power Collie in Silicon Valley, NBN. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Love Love.
Speaker 3: I'm Caroline Heindet Bloomberg's World headquarters in New York and.
Speaker 4: I made Love Low in San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology coming up.
Speaker 3: Tesla gets some tentative approval for its driving system in China.
Speaker 4: Details ahead plus paramount expected to oustit CEO ahead of earning tonight, we'll bring you.
Speaker 3: The latest and so far shares they drop after Q two guidance disappoints. We're going to discuss all of it with the CEO, Anthony Noto. Well, first, let's checking on these markets, because we're cautiously up on the nawstack at the moment, up three tenths of a percent. We've got a big week. You've got the FED, you've got the all important claims, we've.
Speaker 5: Got jobs data.
Speaker 3: Friday, we're seeing the NASDAK still managing to be up about forty eight points. Now we're seeing a ten year yield actually diving back some four or five basis points.
Speaker 5: Let's call it ahead of the all important Federal Reserve.
Speaker 3: And indeed just where we see this economy, this interest rate environment going notably a lot capturing the attention on the macro perspective. What's happening in Japan at the moment. Look, we've got a holiday period that means some of the trading is going to be more muted in Japan, but the yen some big volatility over the course of the weekend Monday trading, We're down a percentage point on the dollar of US as the end the yen goes higher. Was it Japanese boj intervention? So far they remain mum on the subject. We look forward to what's happening in terms of another dollar related asset, this one Bitcoin down versus the US dollar by about one and a quarter percent. Now we're still seeing perhaps a little bit of a risk off feel to bitcoin more generally and atf flows for sixty eight hundred and fifty nine, and what are you looking at on the micro the ed.
Speaker 4: Well Tesla and Tesla is a big, almost surprise story this Monday, the stock up twelve point four percent. It's just a few tens percent away from its biggest jump since January of twenty twenty two. Very similar gains to what we saw April twenty fourth, the day after earnings, the story prelim or tentative approval for full self driving in China. That's according to a Bloomberg source. Two subsets of that a partnership with Baidu on the InCAR mapping specifically for the China market, and then also an agreement over data and privacy or terms on data and privacy that will allow it to move forward with FSD. Big reaction in the market. Elon Musk himself went to China over the weekend met with Premier Lee Chung, which was itself a surprise seven days after he bailed on India. And there's a lot to unpick in this one, but it's a big move higher on the Tesla stock carract.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got to digame with none other than Craig Shrudelle Bloomberg of course all over this story throughout the day and indeed well previous night. It was a surprise, and it looks as though the meeting bore fruit.
Speaker 5: What exactly does this mean for.
Speaker 3: The overall robotaxi autonomous vehicle kind of future that elm.
Speaker 6: Pains, Yeah, we have to really separate out robotaxi and what Tesla calls full self driving because that nomenclature has been a misnomer. It is a driver assistance system. When you activate it, you're in control of the vehicle, You're responsible for supervising it.
Speaker 7: And if you do get into.
Speaker 6: A crash, Tesla has has shown a tendency to turn around and blame you the driver. And so there's a big difference between this system Tesla calls FSD and this robotaxi that Musk has managed to get Wall Street excited about, despite the fact that he's been talking about it as a concept now, you know, since twenty sixteen at least. But this is a big development in the sense that FSD, for all its shortcomings and the progress that still needs to be made for it to be you know, you know, more widely used and accept it is bringing in incremental revenue, but only in certain markets in the US. This is something that Tesla charges eight thousand dollars for or ninety nine dollars a month subscription. If it can you know, make arrangements to get incremental revenue out of its customers in China, it could boost its business there at a time it could sorely use.
Speaker 4: A lift Craig is best. I can tell you've been logged on your Blue Mog terminal for like twenty seven hours straight, coordinating our teams in China, the US, in Europe. Just to explain the chronology of what happened, there were multiple stages to arrive at what is a tentative approval for FSD.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean we heard rumblings that Musk was maybe going to make this trip and you know, lo and behold, you know, Sunday, my time here in London. You know, we wake up to this idea that, yes, Musk has landed. This was a surprise in the sense that Tesla you know, doesn't even have a presence at this week's Beijing on show. It's a show that got underway last week, but it certainly was you know, a timely visit in the sense that there are a lot of you know, government officials in town for the show. You know, the auto industry has absolutely been a bright spot for the Chinese economy, and you know, China's relationship with Tesla has has been really positive. This is you know, a success story, even with the challenges that this company has had lately with sort of continuing its momentum in.
Speaker 3: China marketshare being eroded to none of them byd the local competitor. Remind us of the deals that have had to be done with Chinese players though ultimately to be able to get the granting.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the key one that that ED flagged is with Baidu.
Speaker 6: And I think this is really interesting because you know, Elon Musk has been on the record for many years now saying that Tesla doesn't need maps, that maps are crutch and you know, so this this is you know, a U turn if you will, if you and forgive a car pun uh. You know from this stance that this is not necessary in China. However, in order for you to offer these sorts of systems, you need to have a partnership with a mapping and navigation company. And it just so happens that the companies that are able to offer those service services are all Chinese.
Speaker 7: It's very reminiscent of how China sort of.
Speaker 6: Controlled the battery uh, you know, electric vehicle battery market in you know, the more infant years of of the EV industry for China, and it really was successful and helping sort of build up, you know, world dominating companies like c at l UH. They're looking to try and replicate that sort of uh, you know pattern with you know, companies that play a critical role in these driver assistance systems that may one day be able to support, you know, fully taking the human driver out of the equation.
Speaker 4: And what's so interesting is by do is itself quite competent in the domain of at least developing autonomous technology. Look, the stock's up twelve percent or more, on track for his biggest jump since Janney twenty twenty two.
Speaker 7: Perceived good news.
Speaker 4: There is some more nuanced view in the markets about what Musk's actually doing here, Craig, listen to this elon.
Speaker 8: Musk's on an opportunity to go in there and say, look, I want to do this because you've seen the clashes that have been going on between the US and China. He's trying to put a foot on both sides and say, look, I've got this technology. And he had the premium brand in China, and then all of a sudden, the evs in China started to get less expensive and Tesla started to lose Sharon.
Speaker 7: He had to drop prices.
Speaker 8: So to me, this is a way to say I'm going to change up this math for myself, but also if I can be successful in this, then maybe I get to be the outlier.
Speaker 4: That was Sarah Hunt, whose chief market strategies at Alpine Saxon Woods earlier on Bloomberg Surveillance. We've got a very strong piece on the terminal out now talking about how we'll hold on. A week ago, Musk was supposed to go to India and he bailed and he's gone straight to China. That it shows us the power dynamics and must skill in all of this, right, Craig in navigating geopolitics.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean there's been mutual backscratching here between Elon Musk and the CCP for for years now. Let's not forget that Tesla was the first you know, international car company or foreign car company to you know, be allowed to operate in China without having to agree to a joint venture with a local manufacturer. There was a huge you know wind for Musk and something that he fought for for years. And you know, the the construction of the plant for Tesla and Shanghai was you know, record time. It was extremely time lee in the sense that you know, Musk was really ramping up the model three trying to bring the model why out and they were able to keep that plant running even during you know, the pandemic, when you know other plants in China had a really difficult time, you know, opening back up from the initial shutdowns. And so you know, China has very much supported Tesla when Tesla needed it most. And you know, we're seeing US companies pull back a little bit from China, maybe at least de risk a little. You know, Apple's a good example of doing so. You know, by the way, in India, I think people were looking at at a potential investment by Tesla in India as a similar move. And it's clear that Musk doesn't see you know, urgency to do that.
Speaker 4: Bloomber's cry too l thank you so much, terrific reporting. There's another story very close to this one, Sticking with autonomous driving, US auto safety regulators are investigating Ford's Blue Cruise driver resistance feature after a pair of fatal crashes involving the technology. The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Office of Defect Investigation opened the preliminary evaluation after it received notice of two battery electric Mustang Maki SUVs that collided with stationary vehicles. Will continue to track that one stock down one point six percent car notable.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, coming up ed, Look, I've got to turn our attention to another key stock on the move and paramount is we understand the company weighing outstaying.
Speaker 5: Its own CEO.
Speaker 3: At least the board is ahead of earning tonight, but also a notable potential purchase of this business.
Speaker 5: We'll bring you more this boombow technology.
Speaker 7: It's time for talking tech and first up.
Speaker 4: The Supreme Court has rejected an appeal by Alon Musk over his so called Twitter sitter, who oversees social media posts about Tesla. The Justices, without comment, refused to hear contentions from the Tesla CEO on the accord that he assigned in twenty eighteen that he says now violates his constitutional free speech rights. We'll track that one plus. Apple's iPad has been hit by the EU's digital dominance crackdown. The product's been added to a list of big tech products and services hit by the new rules. The move means Apple has six months to make sure its tablet ecosystem complies with a raft of preemptive measures under the EU's flagship Digital Markets Acts. And the Redstone family and independent film producer David Ellison have both offered concessions to make a possible change in control at Paramount Global more appealing to the company's other investors. The Skydance bid was described by multiple parties as a best and final offer on Sunday. Paramount's board is still undecided about entering a deal with Ellison, given the opposition from other investors.
Speaker 3: Cara, Well, the board has got a lot to be considering right now, we understand ed, and we want to dig into all of it with the most Chris Peal Mary who has been busy throughout the weekend, reporting in this out, editing it out. And the board, we understand, is also wondering whether it OSTs Bob Backish, the actual current CEO of Paramount. Ahead of Well, we know earnings are already coming out after the bell today amid this sales process.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the situation was described to me yesterday is being very fluid, which I think is an understatement. We're recently certain the company will announced earnings this afternoon, but beyond that, yes, they're expected to say goodbye to their CEO, Bob Beckish, replacing him on an interim basis with a management committee. They're still negotiating to deal with Skydance. It would be a change of control of a company and that was the best and final offer yesterday, with David Ellison, the owner of Guidance, helping his sort of contribution in terms of buying Paramount stock at a premium to what it's trading out today, sort of apes of shareholders. Redstones also are apparently making concessions that would allow the non voting shareholders to weigh in on a deal, which is something that you know they don't have to do, but is sort of best practice in securities law these days.
Speaker 7: A whole lot going on.
Speaker 4: You've outlined the sort of mechanics of the deal. I think just like reminder audience the rationale on the why why are we still spooking about Paramount and somebody buying it or changing it?
Speaker 7: What's going on?
Speaker 9: Well, the traditional TV business is in trouble. People are leaving for streaming services. Advertising has been in decline, although they'll see a pickup at Paramount this quarter because of the super Bowl, and the streaming business, which is the future, is still losing money. The Paramount still although the losses are coming down a bit are still going to be in the one hundreds of millions of dollars.
Speaker 7: And it's a question whether they'll ever stop.
Speaker 9: And so when your two main businesses like that, the movie business has been unprofitable last year, it's a challenge to get people back to theaters. So pretty much every leg of their business is in some sort of peril and that's why this sock is down and why they're considering options.
Speaker 4: All right, Bluebots, Chris Pam Mary terrific, really appreciate having you out down from La.
Speaker 3: So fine out with earnings that well look strong today, but the forecast is what people are worrying about. The shares falling after the fintech company provided second quarter nuance here with adjusted net revenue and adjusted ebit DA that perhaps fell short of some consensussessments out there. Want to dig into that nuance with SOFI CEO Anthony Noto.
Speaker 5: Thank you for joining us, Anthony, And.
Speaker 3: Look, we've got to focus on the fact that your full year guidance was raised.
Speaker 5: You're feeling positive.
Speaker 3: About the way in which are steering the company. You say you're in an inflection point, But why the second quarter being below expectations?
Speaker 5: What can you add to what you're seeing here right here, right now.
Speaker 10: We had a great first quarter, as we reported twenty six percent year of year at growth, and it's in line with the transformation that we talked about, which is our combined tech platform business and our financial service business would grow fifty percent or more. It grew fifty four percent year of year, and that combined with flat revenue for lending, and that was part of the plan, and we had our second consecutive quarter of gap positive EPs. In addition to growing our book value on a tangible basis per share by about sixteen percent sequentially, we also guided the full year, as you mentioned above, not just our beat, but also above our prior guidance, so that's a positive overall outlook.
Speaker 1: We had not given Q two guidance before.
Speaker 10: We typically give the full year and then the current quarter that we're in, so at the end of twenty four we gave guidance for the full year and Q one, not Q two. The analysts are using their own estimates for that, and because we're taking a conservative view on lending, lending will be down sequentially in Q two, while our tech platform revenue and our financial services revenue will continue to have strong year year growth, but also strong sequential growth and continue profitability as well. So we feel really great about the business transformation we've made over the last six years. The fact that we can grow revenue twenty six percent on flat lending revenue is a real testament to the diversity of our business.
Speaker 5: Hey, Darison, you can't feel great about the share reaction.
Speaker 10: You know, any given day, it's hard to predict what's going to happen with the shriff. But what I can say is the business is doing incredibly well. The strategy is working. We're really happy about the trend we do. We are taking a conservative you on lending, but that's given how uncertain the environment is. If the environment becomes more stable, we'll be more aggressive on lending, but right now there's no need to and the environment remains as uncertain as it has for the last six months.
Speaker 4: On rates, mister Noto, good morning, it's ed in San Francisco. A lot of the questions I got from our audience for you were about the capital you raise and your strategy going forward. There was convertible in one queue, a lot of interest in that. I actually am not clear why, but the people want to know, So that's the question.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think people misunder stand the share count. First, we did two things in Q one. First, we issued a convertible note at one point two five percent interest that allowed us to redeem a preferred security that we're paying twelve and a half percent interest on. So that is going to provide an interest savings for us, and we've already noticed all of the holders of that preferred instrument and so that's being redeemed sooner than expected. We also bought back an existing convert that was trading well below its face value, and that was a creative to book value and it was basically neutral on tangible book value per share. So there's some perception that it was diluted. It's not dilutied on a tangible book value per share. And I think there's just a misunderstanding on what the total ending share count will be in the future.
Speaker 4: My colleague, a Bloomberg intelligence Herman Chan has a very clear thesis for you guys. You have a brilliant app, strong user interface, one stop shop, and you're targeting young professionals.
Speaker 7: That's what they think.
Speaker 4: But the story really is this higher interest rates for longer environment narrative. How does that thesis work in that rate environment?
Speaker 10: Anthony, Yeah, well, first of all, your colleagues said it very well, and so we should consider having them being one of our spokespeople. But I'd say is higher for longer is going to create challenges for financial institutions.
Speaker 1: We are very well capitalized.
Speaker 10: We have a seventeen point one percent risk based capital ratio, so we have ample cushion or capital ratio relative to where we have to operate from a regulatory standpoint, and we have plenty of liquidity. That said, as we saw today another regional bank was very challenged. We're also benefiting from really strong deposit growth. We had our record growth and deposits three billion dollars of new deposits, and ninety percent of our deposits are from direct deposit customers, which means we're their primary account and it's very very sticky. But higher for longer we'll put stress on other people's balance sheets if they're not hedging appropriately the way we do. We hedge our loans once we grant them, we're we don't have that interest rate exposure. We can also match what we're giving in as an apy to our SOFI money members against the loans that we're offering in the rates that they have to maintain a very high NIM and we've been able to do that consistently. In addition to that, with also the tech platform business, which is not tied to interest rates. And then in the financial services business, we have the invest platform that's growing very nicely, good AUM growth, good member growth, and another source of verisfied revenue for.
Speaker 5: US where technology show.
Speaker 3: We want to go into the specifics of your technology, Anthony, but I want to bring our audience that matcro flavor that you so brilliantly give, because why are you more cautious on the US economy? Why are you seeing five percent excess of unemployment? Why are you seeing these interest rate cuts that you've now basically halved in your expectations for twenty twenty four.
Speaker 10: Yeah, our balance sheet has grown quite meaningfully. It's about a thirty billion dollar bounce sheet now. So as we came into twenty twenty four, we had a choice. Could we come up with our own expectations for twenty twenty could we use consensus expectation. Let's just take up planning stance that's really conservative, and the planning stance that we took then was that there would only be four rate cuts. The market was factoring in six rate cuts at the time. We also took up planning stance on unemployment that would be more than five percent, the market was well below that, and we also took a stance on GDP contraction.
Speaker 1: That was modest.
Speaker 10: Well, here we sit today three months later, and the market's only factoring in one to two rate cuts. So I'm really thankful we took a conservative stance going into the air, and I'm really thankful we still have a conservative stance. I couldn't feel better about the underlying trends of our strategy and execution of our business. But I don't think we're an environment where anyone has a really strong, high conviction level on where rates will be. There's still a debate whether it be any rate cuts whatsoever. So we just can't put the business at risk hoping that we can figure it out.
Speaker 1: So we're going to a conservative point of view.
Speaker 4: With short time, Anthony, you're moving away from this kind of trademark student loans and refi business.
Speaker 10: Why, Well, the strategy when I came in twenty eighteen was to create a one stop shop for all your financial services needs. There was no one providing all the products that you need for the big moments in your life and all the days in between. So we offer home loans, student loans, personal loans, in school loans, checking and savings called SOFI Money Investing, Insurance, small meat, and business loan lead generation in addition to the tech platform business. So the strategy was always about building a one stop shop for all your financial services needs, and that's actually resulted in diversified business that allows us to make choices on what we grow versus what we take.
Speaker 1: A conservative view.
Speaker 4: On SOFI CEO Anthony Notto, Great catch up, greats heavy back on the program. Thank you, Welcome back to Bloomberg Technology. I love Low in San Francisco.
Speaker 5: I'm Caroline hid in New York.
Speaker 3: A bit of breaking news that was just occurring regarding we work.
Speaker 5: We understand it has managed to kind.
Speaker 3: Of bankruptcy exit deal that actually leaves.
Speaker 5: Out the founder, Adam Newman. Now we understand we work.
Speaker 3: Of course, they've gotten all important meeting today in Pril twenty ninth.
Speaker 5: They're cutting an exit deal leaves out Adam Newman.
Speaker 3: Newman himself is objecting saying the deal wrongly hands Hides a sale plan and Newman has offered to buy we Work, but it was rejected in favor of a creditor deal.
Speaker 5: Now, remember there's plenty.
Speaker 3: Of analysis that has gone into the bankruptcy of we Work more broadly, and indeed the fact.
Speaker 5: That they've basically got a four billion dollar in secure.
Speaker 3: Debt that is a key issue limiting issue here more broadly. But it looks as though a deal has been cut, but Adam Newman is not involved.
Speaker 5: Let's just get a broader market check for you at the moment, because.
Speaker 3: Well, markets have been tentatively higher and aw's that one hundred is still clinging on to gain some twenty seven points all important.
Speaker 5: Week the fared we got job Stata.
Speaker 3: At the end of the week, the dollar is still lower US as Japanese and that was a big market move.
Speaker 5: From a macro perspective, is maybe we see some boj intervention that has.
Speaker 3: So far remained silent from Japan, and it is indeed some muted amid holiday trading session.
Speaker 5: But I'm looking at bitcoin.
Speaker 3: Just off by a percentage point as a US dollar remains higher versus bitcoin.
Speaker 5: That's how to look at.
Speaker 3: What's happening on individual names. I want to shine like what happened in Europe because we've just finished up trading in Europe and at US up eighteen percent. And this is another kind of beleagued company, but this one is a French government potentially stepping in with a bid for the IT company's most strategically important businesses. That's after it's been forced to raise the amount of cash it needs to avoid insolvency itself. It's up more than eighteen percent. Sees, I shine a light on what's happening with this particular well overall company, the two firms we could see when it comes to all important views on the coming together of SES and intelsat this is we once again think about a mergering these satellite businesses. The deal failed in previous attempts to combine, but now we see that potentially they could be seeing an SES and INTEL revival of discussions with Dan some ten percent in that publicly traded part of the business. Remember Intersect is private micro Strategy up more than a percentage point. Well, he's doing all right, Old Michael Saylor on the fact that he's been selling some shares in the business after it's done particularly well amid being sort of a proxy for bitcoin two hundred and ninety six. The earnings come after the bell. But we want to talk more about crypto, and we want to talk more about what's happening in Hong Kong. But it's set to list a batch of cryptocurrency ETFs, and some China's top asset managers are in final lego preparations for Spot bitcoin and EETF to begin trading tomorrow. Loomberg's Katie Greifeld joins US for more. You're probably pretty bored about Spot ETF and what's interesting with Hong Kong is it looks as though we're also seeing Australia analyze the options.
Speaker 5: This is a theme since the US gone on board.
Speaker 11: It's definitely a theme, this sort of expanding access to spark bitcoin ETFs. And it's interesting you take a look at Hong Kong sort of following the US blueprint in that we have a few war breaking out even before the funds have actually launched. Their due to launch on April thirtieth tomorrow, but we're talking about trio of issuers here. We have China AMC, then we have Harvest and Bossera. So you had China AMC and Harvest announced their fees, and just in the past few days Bossara actually came out and waved their fee. They were going their eventual fee is going to be sixty basis points. They're waiving that for the first four months or so.
Speaker 5: You compare that to Harvest.
Speaker 11: They're also going ahead with a fee waiver, which is also very popular in the US. After six months, they're going to charge point three percent. So that's your low water mark there. And then China AMC it's on the high side. It's charging ninety nine basis points, so a bit expensive compared to its trio.
Speaker 7: It sort of peers there, but.
Speaker 11: We'll have to see what we saw in the US market was even though you had those fees cut into the launch. After the launch too, you had a lot of reductions as well.
Speaker 4: On this program with Metenology, we love covering cities around the world. Hong Kong is clearly considering this important. But in actuality, it's a small market. You know, give us the numbers.
Speaker 11: It is a that is a important perspective to get in there. When you take a look at Hong Kong's total ETF market, the total AUM is about forty seven billion dollars. Just for some context, you take a look at the suite of US spot bitcoin ETFs, they're already above that.
Speaker 5: When you put together those.
Speaker 11: Dozen are so fun So on the world scale, we're talking about a very small market here. When you think about the impact to bitcoin, of course, probably not too meaningful from an influence perspective, but when it comes to sentiment, which is what powers bitcoin, it could be meaningful the most.
Speaker 4: Katie Grofel, we love having you on the show with your knowledge of spot bitcoin ETF around the world.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Let's go from crypto back to entertainment with paramounts board considering removing CEO Bob Backish, I want to get the take in the analysis of Bloomberg Intelligences Geeta Ang and Athan and I'm looking at stock right we're up almost five percent. I don't know if that's because of the news or reports that Backish might be going or that the deal as it is is moving along. What do you think the catalyst is, Gita.
Speaker 2: I think ed the catalyst for the movement this morning is really just based on the sweetening of the Ellison deals. So two things happening here. One is that David Ellison, who owns sky Dance Media, is now proposing to buy a block of shares at a premium. Is kind of making it more palatable for investors. And I think finally Sharry Redstone, Sharry Redstone is the one who kind of calls all the shots at paramount. She's finally open for what is this majority of minority votes, So she is letting the non voting shareholders have a say in whether this transaction should go through. And that is really critical because there has been so much backlash against the sky Dance deal because most of these shareholders, the non voting shareholders, have basically said that it's going to dilute them and it really only benefits, you know, the sky Dance And of course Cherry Redstone, one.
Speaker 3: Of those key investors from a non vote perspective, have been Arial Investments and John Rodgers and Melodie Hobson had been putting out letters saying, look, we are worried about the way in which this is being executed, the premium and then the merge of what's happening with skydowns, but also they were troubled by the looming departures of four paramount board members. Is all of this looking a little bit murky from a governance perspective if you're also seeing a board and potentially getting rid of the CEO and putting executives in charge while this transition sort of occurs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's highly, highly unusual, Caroline. We've never seen something quite like this before in the media landscape. So you have those four, you know, board members who kind of suddenly left, and then now you have Bob Bakish, who has been the CEO of this company for quite a while, I mean ever since Viacom and CBS were emerged. He's kind of taken a charge and he's kind of, I think, done a fairly good job, although some people would would say that, you know, getting into the streaming business was not good idea to begin with. And you know that's because, yes, they have seventy million subscribers, they've had some successes, but they've also lost a ton of money. They've lost about five billion dollars and a lot of people seem to think that, you know, that's because of kind of this misstep or was a misstep by Bob backersh So, yes, there's a lot of confusion right now. Basically, definitely getting rid of Bob Backers definitely challenges the status quo. But I think what Cherry Redstone is hoping to achieve is then get you know, Bob Backers has been very vocal against the deal with sky Dance, so I think she's really kind of trying to hasten the process towards a deal with sky Dance.
Speaker 12: Here.
Speaker 3: Wow, it looks as though it is evolving very quickly on the day, and I'm sure we'll be looking for your expertise again doing by intelligence analyst Katha Rang and Ath and me, thank you so much and all things paramount.
Speaker 5: Mean while coming up, and we're going to take a look at a new kind.
Speaker 3: Of college call the eye a Founder's Fund. We're on that and now a venture spotlight. This is really my technology.
Speaker 7: Campus.
Speaker 4: Dot edu is an online alternative to traditional community colleges that's trying to tackle all kinds of problems, one of them being student loan debt in the United States, and it caught the attention of Founder's Fund, which just led a new twenty three million dollar extension round in the platform.
Speaker 7: Disclaimer.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg Beta, the venture capital arm of Bloomberg LP is also an investor in campus dot Edu. Here to discuss is founder's fund partner Tray Stevens, who led the round, and campus dot edu founder and chancellor. Today or Youurinda today, I'm going to start with you. I actually have been through the mechanics of how this works. You know, you sign up, you may be eligible for federal funding grants, but you basically pay seven to seven a half thousand dollars for the course, and you're also bringing an employment opportunity for very talented professors, which raises the question, why do you need twenty three million more dollars?
Speaker 12: Yeah, thanks for having me. Look, I think if you look at the faculty at these elite universities Princeton, UCLA, and Stanford, a lot of them are looking for gigwork. That's what we do at Campus is we allow them to teach. We bring access to people who had never had access to this quality of education before. And then, yes, as you pointed out, the federal government does actually pay for a lot of the tuition with the grants.
Speaker 4: One of the learnings from researching and reading into this is that some of our brightest academics and teachers are pretty poorly paid in this country. Trey, I know you, I know where you invest thematically specific founders that you back. This one's really interesting why you focused on education, but this is a very specific case study in education.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well, I wouldn't say that we are focused on education.
Speaker 7: We don't do a whole lot at all and tech.
Speaker 1: That's what I founders figned.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Peter is kind of known as having this anti higher education perspective in which led to the tor Fellowship, which is the fellowship that he offers to students to drop out of college and pursue something entrepreneurial. And so I think what this really kind of hit that I haven't seen a lot in ED tech is.
Speaker 7: This idea that we don't need to have.
Speaker 13: A bunch of students going into massive debt. The average student in the United States that's going into higher ED has debt over twenty thousand. I had debt over one hundred thousand dollars coming out of college, and there's just no reason for this. And so I think what today and the team at campus is doing is really exciting because it's a way of bridging that out to make it possible for kids that want to go to school after they finish high school and do that at much lower costs and in exit their college experience without any debt Tadai.
Speaker 3: Therefore, we go back to the why the need of funds. You've got clear demand coming from students, You've got clear supply coming.
Speaker 5: From the professors.
Speaker 3: Perhaps a bit of a bottleneck when it comes to the coaches that you want to there be to be mentoring and stimulating and advising.
Speaker 5: But where will the funds be put to work? Is this about mark share capture right now?
Speaker 12: Yeah? Look, Caroline, the opportunity is just so big. If you look at student loans in this country, it's perhaps past two trillion dollars. So to actually solve this and create a world class quality education and scale that up to lots of people, it's going to require lots of investment. And we give students a lot of wrap around support that most community colleges just can't afford to offer. So every student forgets a laptop. You know, about a third of our students we do an internet speed test. If your internet's too slow, will actually get you internet at home? We pare them with success coaches who play the role like my mother played for me. When I was in college, like making sure I'm showing up for class on time and getting my assignments in and that's a key part of like what a lot of young people are going to need to be successful today. So I'm very grateful for Trey and you know, the team at Founders Fund, because this is a big mission, but it's going to require funding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tree, why did you take the call or the email or the introduction in whatever way if you had not that focused on education, as you've clearly articulated, Why this one when there are some other online competitors out there?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 13: The important thing for us, as it is with all companies, is that we are founder base first and foremost, so less than investing in categories or you know, specific types of companies, We're really interested in investing in the top founders that are doing the most interesting things, the most novel concepts. And so when I originally met today, you know, not generally being interested in ed tech, I was blown away by his vision for what the company was going to be doing, and ultimately just decided to bring other people from the Fund in front of him, saying like this guy is different than the other founders that we've seen in the ed tech space. We should really be open to learning from him and getting excited about the thing that he has so much passion for.
Speaker 4: Okay, so today you dropped a reference to the sort of gig economy earlier in the conversation. So I'm thinking uber or you know there are other gig economy platforms out there to do food delivery, et cetera. How's that business going to play out in practice? You know, Trey investing founders, he backs those founders. He's also an investor who needs to see a return in the future.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So look the way it works with campus. If you're a professor at Princeton UCLA Moorhouse, you have your your on campus job, has an office. You love it. You get to meet with students. But oftentimes you're an adjunct professor. I used to think adjuncts meant like Michelle Obama teaches that Georgetown for fun to give.
Speaker 7: Back saying a guest or whatever.
Speaker 1: That's that's really rare.
Speaker 12: The most adjuncts are actually recent grad school graduates to earning forty to forty five grand a year. That's what we do is you can actually teach in addition to your on campus job on campus campus dot edu and we pay about double the national average wage, so it's about eight thousand dollars per class. So just simplicity of math. You know, four academic quarters a year. If you teach three classes a quarter with us, you're making an additional ninety six thousand dollars an annual income. And you're doing it doing what you're great at and what you love doing, teaching these students who are super ambitious, like super talented.
Speaker 3: I want to focus on another found you back when it comes to neurallink eil mask today he we led the show with the fact that in his other company, Tesla, he's deepening thaie with China. He's bringing his driver assistance program over there to of course one of the key markets for him. How do you sit at the moment with founders, with just us more broadly seeing still some relationship with China at the time that also you're seeing some distancing.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, there's definitely always a good reason to have nuance. There's a lot of different stakes are that need to be taken into consideration when you look at interacting with the Chinese market versus interacting with the Chinese government versus interacting with government control over things that are impacting US consumers, And so I think obviously diplomacy is critical in all these scenarios. Elon is doing what Elon needs to do for the companies that he has operating in country there.
Speaker 3: What about, well, TikTok being the other key piece of news when it comes to how that affects the consumer, a relationship of using what is a Chinese held business here in the United States, a ban or diverst What did.
Speaker 5: You make of that? How worried are you.
Speaker 3: About the use of TikTok for at least another nine months?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm very concerned.
Speaker 13: I've been very public and expressing my concerns around the use of TikTok domestically. You know, during the Cold War, we never would have allowed for a Russian company to buy The New York Times. I think having some sense for adversary control of key pathways for information into our into our populace is super critical. And TikTok has demonstrated time and time again that they are not willing to be transparent. They're not willing to share with us the important information that we would need to know to have a level of confidence and their ability to support those technologies being deployed in the United States.
Speaker 3: We've got to think about the AI cut well, all encompassing narrative here ed a little bit when we were talking about Elon and Tesla, you referenced by do of course big stakes and AI there we've also got TikTok owned by byte Dance.
Speaker 5: That China's got its own interest in all of this at the moment.
Speaker 4: Ed for me, that's the story, right, that all the stories we talk about, be it Tesla in China, TikTok, China is working on these technologies itself, you know, particularly in the context of generative AI or building large language models. We spent twelve months saying, well, China is also doing this. The question of someone like you and your industry is how do you get the balance right between being collaborative and also putting us interest first. That's basically what I think it comes down to for you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that's right.
Speaker 13: You know that the CCP is very different than the Chinese people or the Chinese market. These things are not always intrinsically connected. I think that the thing that we're constantly trying to balance not only inside of our portfolio, but also with what we're doing at ANDROL, which is a portfolio company of founders fund that I started back in twenty seventeen, you know, is to really figure out where we need to not only develop but also sustained strategic advantage so that we are able to set the rules of engagement for how those technologies are like actually in the field and the moment we no longer have control of the technology, that's when we lose control of the ability to regulate and you know, keep those technologies inside the bounds of law.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you took us to andre and Defense Tech. There have been several columnentches written about you and your place and leadership in investing in defense technology. What I want to ask you is, if you're seeing science that the US government, the top level of government is now sort of hand in hand with silicon value, that you guys do it really well, So go and do it.
Speaker 7: I guess the.
Speaker 1: Working with the government's really hard. I don't know how else to say that. You know, before I.
Speaker 13: Joined found respond ten years ago, I was, you know, doing sales at Palenteer, where I spent the prior six years of my career. And you know, no matter what we tried, it was like every single iteration of our sales strategy was just you know, not working, going too slow, running into roadblocks. Eventually we figured out a model that worked. The same could be said for Space. It took them years and years and years to figure out how to do this. And the reality is like going into this industry blind, like you know, two nineteen year olds working in a garage. Very different than starting a software as a service company.
Speaker 4: As doctor Carr put it to me, a few weeks to go, end the PowerPoint No more Powerpoints founder fun Trey Stevens. Great to have you back on the show, Caroc.
Speaker 5: It really was a great discussion.
Speaker 3: And that does it for this well wind edition of Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there is so much in the newsflow. It's a huge earnings week. Great guests on the show, recap on the podcast, Apple, Spotify, iHeart, and the Bloomberg platforms from San Francisco and New York.
Speaker 7: This is Bloomberg Technology.