Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: When President Trump says We're done, Israel's going to be done. Israelis could be disappointed at this outcome because an agreement is not something that Israel favors.
Speaker 1: Shira Ephron on how Israeli's see the war with Iran and what's at stake politically is the fact that there's an election coming in Israel. Part of the Prime Minister's calculation in starting this war.
Speaker 2: There is a sense in Israel that disperpetual state of war also serves the Prime Minister's political objectives. This is a good reason to keep the spounding elections, especially if all pulling shows that you're not likely to win again.
Speaker 1: From Bloomberg Weekend, this is the Michelle Hussein Show. I'm Michelle Hussein once again. The headlines have been moving fast on the Middle East, so fast that at times it's been nearly impossible to work out where the truth actually lies. One moment, there's a US threat to bomb power plants, then a pivot towards a deal with Iran, which made us think, where does that unpredictability on US intentions leave Israel. Opinion polls have suggested that around eighty percent of Israelis support the Iran war, and that's part of what we explore in this conversation. It's with Sheer Efron, who's been a Middle East andalst for the last twenty years. She's now Distinguished Chair for Israel Policy at RAND, a think tank which gets much of its funding from the US government and the US military. I'd heard her say on another podcast that she's more about policy than politics, but we did talk about political leadership, the Israeli election expected later this year, and also about the Mossad and Iran, what Israel is doing in Lebanon, the situation in Gaza and on the West Bank. We began though with Shira herself, because after these weeks of war, I did want to know what the impact had been on her life in Tel Aviv.
Speaker 2: It's lost on outside audiences who see Israel and the US's the aggressors here right and look at the damage that Iran is inflicting on everyone else, to forget there is a human dimension also in Israel, regardless of the rule in this war. I will say on the personal alvel, we are fine God. Plus, you know we have our bomb shelter at home that we When we moved into this house, we never thought we would use but past October seventh, it's been the room most frequented in the house by all of us. So it's back to routine, quite heavy hitting. We live in the central part of Israel, in Tel Aviv, so Tel Aviv has hit pretty frequently rounded the sirens. I have three boys who are, unlike their parents, quite happy to be at home, but it's something that they've gotten used to. Right after COVID, which the whole world experience, and then post October seven, I think these kids had barely had school in the past six years.
Speaker 1: But even at home, it means that there are times you hear the sirens day or night and you're all down in the bomb shelter.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, there's a pretty functioning system, but there's a ear shattering scream that comes through the phones before the sirens come to make sure you wake up. And then about between six to ten minutes afterwards the sirens come, we all go down to the shelter. You waited ten minutes. You hear those bombs exploding somewhere, whether it's a direct hit, and it's quite a warning, but you even hear the kids say, oh, it sounds like a cluster rocket now, or it sounds like a direct hit, or maybe it's the iron dome interception. Then we get out. We try to sort of continue with our lives, but we're mostly strand to go. It's we're fine, got used to this, but it is challenging, and there are other Israelis who are less less lucky. Right, there been casualties, obviously, property damages across the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and help me understand whether Israeli public opinion on this war has shifted as the weeks have gone on. The most recent polling I've seen has suggested about eighty percent support for this war. Do you sense any change in the public mood?
Speaker 2: So, I think there are two things that can be true at once. Support for the war mays it around eight percent. These are the last balls that I've seen as well from a variety of sources. There is a belief in the necessity of this to remove an existential threat from Israel, and we can debate the merit of this argument. However, there is a fatigue. Right people are home with the kids. It's very difficult for working parents to go to work. I think anyone who survived COVID with kids would sympathize with this issue. It takes a toll on the independence people who own their own businesses. Obviously, anyone who is in reserve duty Israel has been a tour for around nine hundred days. I have friends who've been in reserve duty for eight hundred of these days. And there is maybe in slight decline in the numbers in the belief that this war will reach its objectives, which from an Israeli perspective, was supposed to bring to a toppling of the Iranian regime. And I think this is where we see the slight shift and sort of understanding, Yes, this war is necessary and it is weakening their regime and it's degrading capabilities that Iran has Israel, but there's a slight decline in the belief that it will remove the threat once and for all. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But is that also linked to the fact that last summer Israelis were told by Benjamin Ettana, who at the end of the Twelve Day War that the sword of the Iranian threat hanging over their heads had been removed. Is there any level of confusion at being told that last summer and going to war again this year.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, And I think there's a feeling of deja vu. We had heard only in June twenty twenty five that the Iranian threat was removed. Obviously, the US President also said that he obliterated the Iranian nuclear plan. So how come only eight months after and the Israeli public, unlike publics around the world, have been ready for round two for a couple of months before this round broke. Very clearly, the question is like, wait, if we just did it, how come we need to do it again? And it's not just Iran. There's a secondary frond that could turn into a primary front. But when we look at the South Lobano we had heard that Hasbeala was decimated, right Hasbella as a Shia group in Lebanon. It's also a terrorist group that Hasbala was decimated and that we took out its arsenal. So in a sense, there is misalignment with the promises and the declarations that are coming from Israeli leadership versus reality. And this is I think one of the gaps that is frustrating the Israeli public.
Speaker 1: And that makes me want to ask you, Shira, is the fact that there's an election coming in Israel part of the Prime Minister's calculation and starting this war.
Speaker 2: So one of the I think the most frustrating thing in Israel at the moment that it's very difficult to disconnect anything that is happening in this country from political motivations. For Prime Minister Natamyao, I want to say, Iran has been like a religion for four decades. He's been speaking about the need to remove the to heat the Islamic Republic of Iran. Yeah, he's using apocalyptic terms and he's been using them for three to four decades, including presentations with props of the UN that some people may remember. So it is genuine from his perspective. It does not mean that what he sees is the national interest does not align well with his political interests. And of course, the reason for opening this war the first round in June and then now again this was an operational opportunity that we can get into. But there is a sense in Israel that the desire to keep israel Is off their feet and in this perpetual state of war also serves the Prime Minister's political objectives because first of all, it's very differ to go to elections when you're in the middle of a rua, Right, this is a good reason to keep spounding elections, especially if all pulling shows that you're not likely to win again.
Speaker 1: Just to dig into that, you think that could be part of the calculation, a desire to delay the election. So there might not be one this year.
Speaker 2: It's difficult to say if there's going to be. There's an indication now that the elections will take place in time. But I do want to remind you that when October seven happened, the biggest failure, the biggest massacre of Jews since the Holocaust, right, the expectation in Israel was that the Prime Minister will resign and the country will go to elections to receive a renewed mandate from the Israeli public. That has not happen, and the pretext for this not happening was something that the coalition leadership has said all alone, we can't go to elections when we're in the middle of the war. So it is possible that the elections will take place on time, which is going to be somewhere in the fall this year. It is possible all on God knows where we're going to be there, then the election will have to be postponed. But also Nataniel himself has portrayed himself all his life as a mister Security, and being in state of war could strengthen him. We're not saying into the milipolls yet, but versus his in comparison to his contenders as mister Security, and so it serves a dual goal, even though the motivation has not just been political, that's for sure, Okay.
Speaker 1: I just want to explore some of the recent reporting about the backdrop to the war and the thinking in the Israeli leadership.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you know.
Speaker 1: The New York Times was reporting the other day that the Mossad chief went to the Prime Minister with a plan and said he believed that within days of the war's beginning, his service would likely be able to galvanize the Iranian opposition, igniting riots other acts of rebellion that could lead to the collapse of the regime. So how did Mosad get it so wrong?
Speaker 2: So I have not seen the power point by the Masad. I see some reporting now that indicates Mossad never said this will happen right away, that there's a timeline issue after strikes are complete within I think it sr in between six months and a year, the Iranian regime will fall. And by the way, we can think of the counterfactual. We've seen these massive protests in Iran in January, right, and we also knew that Ayatola a le jam I was going to be eighty seven years old soon. So there is a hypothetical scenario that even without the strikes, this regime would fall in a year. We can never test this, but this is sort of in the defense of the maissade. There's a timeline issue that was not reported in that regard. You know this leek, whether it came from the US or it came from the IDEF. There's a lot of competition in terms of the IDEAF and masad here and the politicians who wants to throw the facade under the bus. But here is where I would have expected some agency right on the part of leadership both Israel and the US, to say, Okay, this is one idea and one option, but what if it doesn't work, and you can base decisions on hypothetical operational plan to topple a regime. My fear is that these reports, and I'm sure they're based on truth and New York Times does the most serious reporting. They only would only should I alter to be diplomatic. There are a lot of people around the world of blame Israel for dragging the US into this woar, and these reports only strengthened this narrative, which I think for Israel is very very dangerous.
Speaker 1: Dangerous because because of American public opinion, because.
Speaker 2: Of American public opinion, first and foremost American legislators obviously, and I'm mine to say that whereas the Israeli public and the Israeli government Prime Minister at Taniao sees the international communities between Pennsylvania Avenue and Capitol Hill, it also matters what public opinion is in other countries. You know, Israel is or it's not part of Europe, but it has the most important trade relationships with Europe, most investment, open skies, flights, cultural initiatives, the Israeli academia and R and D cannot survive without European funday. I mean, it matters what the world thinks and relationships matter. And I haven't even begun speaking about you know, the neighborhood the Middle East.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's already clear that Israel has become more divisive within the Republican Party and the MAGA movement, as well as within the Democratic Party. And also there's polling suggesting that more Americans today are sympathetic towards the Palestinians than the Israelis. I want to ask how closely connected to that you are, Like, what you really feel when you see numbers like that, Shirah, Because you were born in New York, you move to Israel with your parents, you are a citizen of both countries.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, it's very I have no issues with having greater sympathy for the Palestinians, right and I don't think it's to be a zero sum game. But I will speak of the decline of the favorite views of Israeli Is around the world. I think it's very dangerous strategically because, first of all, for Israel, the pillar of defense of national security is the special relationship with the United States, and I'm not sure this relationship can be sustained, definitely not with these trends that we're seeing at the moment. On the personal level, there's also an issue. The relationship between Israel and the Jewish community has been also a pillar of Israel's strength, and as someone who roams in both of these communities, I often find that the Jewish community is awfully concerned in the US and both sides Republicans and Democrats. Most of the Jews in the United States are Democrats, but on both sides there's real concern for Israelis. I don't think that Israelis are fully sympathetic to American Jews and diaspora Jews in the same way and not understanding how difficult it has been also for American Jews. And I'm speaking of the American Jews, not elsewhere, because this is the community I know the most. How sure it's been for them over the past two and a half years, starting after October seven, obviously with protest campuses, but not only that, rising anti Semitism and being associated with the country that might have dragged the US into war. I don't buy this narrative, but it's definitely a narrative that is there, and Israel does not understand that what it does affects an entire community that is connected to Israel, and it is important to Israel. So you know, both on the strategic levels but also on the personal levels, it's very worsome and.
Speaker 1: Here in the UK, where I'm speaking to you from. In the last few days there's been an attack on ambulances belonging to a Jewish charity in London, which has been chilling not only for the Jewish community but many others watching.
Speaker 2: We definitely see the rise of anti Semitism. And I'm not one that thinks that any criticism of Israeli policy is anti Semitism. There's a very clear difference, but the number speaks for themselves. There's arousing anti semitism and it feeds into a narrative. And in Israel, both the policy makers and the public is I don't say you believe is to this, but not as sensitive as they need to be, not understanding that it will.
Speaker 1: Backfire on the relationship with the United States. Regardless of who took whom to war, there is something fundamentally different that happened last summer with the Twelve Day War, and now that the two countries have been part of this war together, one that, as you said, the is Ready Prime minister has wanted for a long time, but this has been a joint enterprise. What happens do you think if that changes? What happens if Donald Trump decides to stop, and if you look at his later statements, there's very little mention of Israel. He says, we are very willing to do a deal. The US is willing to do a deal with Iran.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, so very big. I mean, I think there is a difference between the Twelve Day War and what we're seeing now. Obviously, the twelve Day War, the United States President Trump gave a green light for Israel and after Israel or the sky and did all the work, you know, the United States game. But the airmen's capabilities performing the mission of you know, Hurdo and using capabilities were developed just for this specific mission, and it was game over. And even then it was very clear that even if this was portrayed as a partnership, Trump at the end of the day did tell Israeli planes which were in the air to strike Tehran to turn around. And I have heard from people who were in the command center of the Air Force where you had the chief of the Israeli Air Force with one phone with the pilots and another fund with the Prime Minister at Tanao on getting them an order in real time, you know, come back, come back, come back. So this was an order, straight order from the US President, not from the Israeli Prime minister. What we have here is a very different partnership. And you have Israeli Air Force officers, even senior level and in double digit numbers, who are stationed in Syncom and vice versa working together. But in terms of the decision making, it's not a partnership. There's one boss, and this boss is President Trump. But it's very clear, and israelis across the board, including in the defense establishment or saying this. When President Trump says we're done, Israel's going to be done. It's not Lebanon or the other friends. And Israelis could be disappointed at this outcome because an agreement is not something that Israel favors.
Speaker 1: So there's no question in your mind Israel could would not continue if the US calls it a day and doesn't deal with your own.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't say no chance at all, but I'll put ninety nine ninety percent that Israel stops. And I think this is why we're likely to see, not that the tempo has changed, but if you listen to some leaks that came out the first days of the war, because it was unknown in Israel. How long? What's going to be the duration of this what started as an operation, and I think undeniably is a lore that Israel said we had to strike whatever we can as fast as possible, because this can be stopped in a moment, and we would have to avibate. Whether Iran stops, it's a different question whether there's another round in the future. But I think that if there is a declaration of some sort of a ceasefire and agreement is well, we'll have to abibate.
Speaker 1: And what then happens to Lebanon because that has been this other front, including with ground forces, that has opened up in the last few weeks, including the blowing up of bridges, and now the Finance Minister Bezalels Motrich saying that the Litani River in southern Lebanon should be a new border between Israel and Lebanon. Yes, now, if that happens, and that's essentially a new occupation.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, it's probably not likely. But I would have hoped that whatever agreement, if there is one with Iran, it is a broader agreement at all also includes Isabella. I'm not sure the US attention is there at the moment, and I'm not sure Israel is pushing for it, but absent this what is now a very secondary front Lebanon could turn into the primary front with Israel just digging deeper. We're suing targeted strikes, but we're also seeing the idea of taking more and more positions inside Lebanon and creating the facto a buffer zone. It is not an occupation at the moment, but it could turn into one absent a diplomatic agreement. And you know, Israel has a long history of occupying land in Lebanon and it never delivered the result that Israeli is won. So I'm very concerned about this folly, and I do hope that the international community, and it needs to be led by the United States, sees this idea of capitalizing on military achievements in Iran and the fact that the Iranians are going to be busy and maybe unable to fund their proxies at the same level, and taking advantages of really remarkable historical trends in Lebanon. Untacked isbella sentiment and I don't say welcoming of Israel, but no longer the taboo of imagining even peace with Israel, and there's really an opportunity in Lebanon that we risk squandering now with digging deeper, doing something that you know, this definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. This is how I see the Israeli campaign at the moment. And no one questions the fact that the Israeli North the Galilee shouldn't be shelled by a terrorist organization on the border, and that the Lebanese state should do more to contain it. But Israel has a partner in Lebanon, and if Israel occupies parts of Lebanon, it's going to lose the partner.
Speaker 1: The Lebanese government. You mean, who would like to see his bula design and its influence brought to an end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the Libanese government. And we have the Libanese public and you know the Shia eyed community, which is the Hazabella support base. We're seeing also a fractures in this support base. People are representatives of the Shia community. They're saying, well, Hissbala doesn't represent us. They care more about the interests of Iran than the interest of the Lebanese. And so you know, this whole idea of disarming terrorist organizations. It can never be a solely military endeavor. It hasn't worked anywhere and where you are with the IRA. It's never just a kinetic activity. It has to come with the support. There's a political partter that's not less important. And this opportunity for taking on Husabala politically is available now in Lebano. The Liberese government needs help. They don't need to be splashed from the side.
Speaker 1: Are you even saying share that the policy of disarming terrorist organizations even as you look at Gaza that ultimately this strategy on Hamas has not worked and will not work as we.
Speaker 2: Talk now, and maybe under the fog of war everyone forgot where Gaiza is. But we are five months in after signing it p sease firing Gaza, that, thank goodness, brought the Israeli hostages back home and allowed the Palestinians in Gaza some sort of respite of relief. But as we're looking at Kasa, you have Tamas that the fact a sovereign governor of half of Gaza where most of the people are israel occupied the other half. There are so many indications that Tomas is really the governing power with arms on the street. Israel for two years try to disarm Haamas kinetically and it hasn't worked. It has to come with the political part, where Palestinians will disarmed Palestinians. It has to be something the Palestinian people choose to do. And now I do hope that after this your on round finishes, can focus on Gaza where there is a framework. We can criticize some elements of it. That the twenty point plan that President Trump had delivered in a National Technocratic Committee. It's supposed to come into Gaza and Palaestinina authority that is supposed to come back at one point after But none of these things have advanced. But the opportunity still exists and we shouldn't miss that either because otherwise what it means is that Israel will go back to finding in Gaza as well. And this could happen in the next few months.
Speaker 1: And would that be with again the blessing of the Americans. Because there's this little recognized internationally body, the Civil Military Cooperation Center, which is essentially part of the US Army, and that is in southern Israel. I think you know about that organization. It's part it's supposed to be monitoring the ceasefire and keeping an eye on what's happening on the ground in Gaza.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a frequent visit to the CMCC, and I think it has a lot of advantages monitoring the ceasfire and coordinating aid or goods that go into Gaza. And I don't know if the US has got to bless renewed fighting. I do think and maybe I hope that President Trump sees this as an achievement of his policy, the pursuit of peace, bringing this ceasefire and creating the structures. And I have a lot of appreciation for the Trump administration. I had not thought that they would lead a UN Security Council resolution, that they would be speaking about negotiations and Palestinian state right. And I think because of pressure for the international community did go to these modalities and brought them into their framework. I'm putting aside the other criticisms of issues. It all hinges now on Hamas willing to accept a gradual disarmament framework and following through and then Israel agreeing to do what it takes. My assessment is that neither side, not Israel, nor mass not Kalestinian authority, not the UN. No one wants to be blamed for the railing this effort because it is important to President Trump. I am not sure that any of these parties really want this to succeed. And for this to succeed, you need realm to make an atmost effort. And that's why the US push is very much are needed because again there is a ceasefire, but the fire hasn't really ceased.
Speaker 1: But I mean share this death toll of seventy thousand people Palestinians, not including those who might be buried under the rubble, still including eighteen thousand children. And at the same time, to see what is ongoing in the West Bank, you know, and that's not only Israeli settlers, that's also the actions of the Israeli military. And just one example was the shooting of a couple and two children in their car the other day. It's it's an ongoing picture that despite the fact that journalists don't have access to many of these scenes, it is seen and the images and the accounts do travel.
Speaker 2: It is so tragic what is happening between Israelis and Palestinians. And when we talk about existential threats. I think this is the existential threat for Israel, right when Israel is supposed to be a Jewish democracy and we have this going on in areas that Israel controls security wise. I'm going to separate the two for a moment. The Gaza death toll is something that is still being debated, not in terms of the numbers, but in terms of the breakdowns of how many of these have been militants. But there's no question I think this is something that Israelis have become knowntive to see the suffering on the other side. Children are children are children. It does not matter if they're the children of terrorists, right they are not. It's not their fault. There is the killing, and I don't believe the idea was engaged on purpose in indiscriminatory killing. I know, I know it's it doesn't sound right, but there are protocols here in terms of opening fire. But the fact is that two years fighting in an urban warfare and being more risk averse about maybe soldiers' lives than Palestinian lives gets to this outcome where I saw what I think and I wrote something about it. Some Israelis were upset when I wrote it, but sort of just this idea of not being none to the suffering of people when it's talking about humanitarian aid, making sure that people have shelter, making sure that people have food. And this was also something that we saw on the schooler and it's very I mean when you talk about you know, the Jewish American and me, right, it's against Jewish values and not seeing this. And yes, of course, of course there were Israeli hostages in Gaza, and of course they were treated in I mean, we can't even imagined the suffering that they've been through. And there was no empathy and no sympathy among the Israelis for Palestinians after what had happened October seven, the rape, mining and everything that happened. But this is where, you know, nothing justified October seven, but October seven, in my view, couldn't justify everything. And this is where we were in Gaza. The West Bank is almost like a separate territory even though it is Palestinian. It's Allo Smotridge, who you mentioned when it comes to Lebanon, he's arguably, and don't hate me for saying this, is arguably the number one strategist in Israel. At the moment because he and I'll give him credit for r it says what he means, he writes is black and white in Hebrew and in English, speaks in the same language. And he in twenty seventeen had a manifestel where he says that Israel will annex all the West Bank and will transfer the Palestinian population, and if they are not happy with the conditions there offer, they're willing to fight. And basically under the flag of war. He's been implementing his vision in the West Bank. And what we have is the facto annexation of territory, making Palistenian's lives miserable. And it's not maybe a government I don't want to say government sponsored, but it's unchecked behavior of saying settler violence because the violence is occurring in the West Bank, but a complete disregard for Palestinian lives and livelihood.
Speaker 1: You interviewed mister Smatrich, didn't you a few years ago when I think when he was starting to talk about this plan. Did you, as you sat with him at that time, did you think this is a fantasy or did you think he's going to make this happen.
Speaker 2: Well, we spoke on the phone he was the Minister of Transportation. Then I thought it was a fantasy. I didn't. You're a poor comparison different visions for the Israeli Palestinian conflict, including like a one state solution. I think around the world, where people talk about one state solution, they imagine the Kumbaya, equal state, equal rights for all. It was very clear back then that more likely one state is this Mortridge vision one state. But I had never imagined in my life the Pritzal's Mortridge, who was intergeted by the event for his path and involvement in violent activities, would ever be the Finance Minister of this country, and with the portfolio of minister in the Defense ministry that gives him the control of the bureaucracy, and so much of it is you probably know, Brits, you're so much of it is bureaucracy, the control of the bureaucracy of Israel's control of the West Bank, which is able to do both through specific budgets and also different structures. So no, I couldn't imagine could he be Prime Minister? I don't think so. Again, to the extended polls are indicative of the outcomes. He may not pass the electorals threshold, so his party may be out of the government in the next elections when we have elections, which is why he's rushing to implement his vision because he's not sure he's going to have another turn. I don't think we are not going to see him again, and he might join forces with others. All these shenanigans here to get people back in mcnassat the Israeli proman. But I don't think he could be pregnister. But who knows.
Speaker 1: But haven't some of his positions become more mainstream in Israel, Like whatever happens to his own political future, hasn't Israeli public as a whole been moved more to the right, not only since October the seventh, but before that.
Speaker 2: I think you're exactly right. We are seeing a shift to the right. It's not that Israelis were on the verge of a two state solution on October six, twenty twenty three, and October seventh shadowed the picture. We can trace maybe Israeli shift to the Second Indifada, which came after a peace process. Israelis felt that a hood barack, you know, back then. Finally Sturge genuinely offered, gave a peace proposal to back then RFU and with buses exploding in the middle of the cities, that sort of turned the Israelies and thinking that there's no partner on the other side. Antonio definitely fed on the no partner and for a long time until October seven, Israelis didn't even remember there were Palestinians around. Think about it, Gaza behind a wall. We saw it's a more fickle wall than we had to assume, but Gaza was behind a wall. Most Israelies don't live in the West Bank, they don't visit the West Bank even gets close to the West Bank. So you live your life normally. You pretend you're part of Europe, go to the US often there's a booming tech sector and didn't even remember the Palestinians to think about taking your risk. Why when there was no imminent threat, And then when the ultimate threat came right in October seventh, sort of showed in the most monstrous way that there are actors on the other side. And HAMAS is not the Palestinian authority. HAMAS is a terrorist organization. Not all Palestinians want to kill Israelis, but in the Israeli mindset that fed into a narrative that there are no innocent people in Gaza. Propel what we mentioned before sent as you hear from Israelis, and if we pull away from the West Bank, the same thing that happened from Gaza will happen. And that's closer to Tel Aviv and closer to the airport and closer to Jerusalem, and God forbid we could do this. We can never have them independent and we can never withdraw. And this is something that's thinking, and I do hope it will take some time for the Israelis to think there's another way, but I do hope there will also be leadership that presents this alternative vision, because one of the tragedies is it's not just naowl. Also from the opposition leaders, you don't hear the vision of separating peacefully from the Palestinians understanding that there's a partner on the other side, not an ideal partner, but there's a partner on the other side. The vast majority of Palestinians do not want to wake up in the morning and kill Jews, right. Israelis don't hear that, and they should hear this from leadership. It shouldn't come to the public to tell the leadership what to do. That's not how leadership is supposed to work.
Speaker 1: But it would be a brave leader, wouldn't it, who stood up and said Palestinians have rights too. Just as Israel has a right to exist, Palestine should have a right to exist.
Speaker 2: It's a very brave Israeli positioned to take today, and I don't think anyone will take it. The tragedy I think of both Israelis and Palestinians is that it's portrayed a zero sum game and it's not. Your right to self determination does not negate the others. And it's a small piece of land. But frankly, and there is some pulling on this, most Israelis and definitely most Palaestinians, but most Israelis don't care about one hilltop somewhere where they don't even know where it is, closer to the border of Jordan. The only one wake up in the morning and feel safe. And Palestinians want to feel safe too. And you know, it's easier for me to speak about the lack of Israeli leadership that presents this vision, but we haven't had a good vision on Palestinian side either right, a Palestinian leader that comes and tells their people we live with the Israelies. Most of these Raellies don't want to kill us. We accept there was war and we're probably not going to return to our homes at Haifa and in Tel Aviv, but we will have a state and we will coexist and claim responsibility and offer a vision that, frankly, before speaking to these Raellies dignifies the Palestinians with efficient services that they deserve. They deserve better leadership too.
Speaker 1: To close sharea can I ask you to think ahead to twenty twenty eight. It'll be the year of Israel's eightieth birthday. It will also be by the end of the year a time with a new president coming into the White House in the United States. What do you think Israel will look like by then? What do you think Israel US relations will look like by then?
Speaker 2: You know, I do want to be optimistic because I can't stress how important the next Israeli elections are. And only in our group of friends, the very few who are still in Israel, because so many of them have left the country in the past few years as a direct result of the policies of the Israeli government, but so many of the others that have loved are holding their passports in hand and not making decisions about changing house and stuff, just waiting for the outcomes of this selection. If there's a different government in Israel, maybe not the ideal government, but the different government that sees the benefits of the country, all of the country, not just the Suttler and the Haredi population, right the sectors that they support, and sees as a priority to First of all, I'm not saying that we're I doubt we're going to see a Palestinian state, but there's going to be a complete stop to settler violence and complete hold to the damaging trends, and leadership that improves relationship with Israel's neighbors, and that sees the Jewish community and sees the need to improve relationship with Europe, which is really a big priority issue also for Israel. I think Israeli US ties can sustain this also, and we're going to see a shift. We're not past the rutb becoon a sense that I think it's it's a lost cause. However, if the elections bring us a coalition government. That is sort of what we're saying today, which is which is unlikely, and all polling shows that this coalition is not going to come to being again. It's going to be very, very difficult to convince the world that there needs to be a separation between the Israeli government and the Israeli public. Share Evron, thank you very much, Thank you, Michelle, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: And that where we left the conversation, which is the fourth Inner Row to explore what's happening in the Middle East from different angles. So if you haven't heard Bernard Hakel on MBS and the Gulf Arabs, or Vali Nasser on Iran, or Congressman Roe Kanna with an American political take, well you'll find them and more in this feed. And as ever, there's more context in the written version of this, which includes my notes, and that's at Bloomberg dot Com. Forward slash micheal and so to the team. The producers are Jessica Beck and Chris Martlu. The video producer is Andy Hayward. Social media is by Alex Morgan, Production assistance by Jennifer Seeley, audio mixing by Richard Ward. Our music is by Bart Walshaw and the executive producer is Louisa Lewis. At Bloomberg Weekend, the director of Audio and Special Projects is Brendan Francis Newnham, and our executive editor is Catherine Bell. This week we also want to say thank you, thank you to Alex Sagira, and to remind you all, our email is Michelle Show at Bloomberg dot net and we always right back until next time. Goodbye,