Speaker 1: This is The EDS with Eddie Judge and Edwin Aroyavi the Husbands Know Best two Teas production. All right, we are back for episode fourteen with the EDS podcast.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: This is going to be an episode with a topic which men don't talk about often, and that is self care and beauty. It's sort of like the secrets behind the mirror for guys. You know, from routines to cosmetic procedures, regimens and fashion. We know women do it all the time and are real critical about what they look like and feel like and where. But what about us men? You know, how do we handle beauty and self care in this day and age. Let's get into it. What do you think? How do we do it? Well?
Speaker 2: I can tell you I think for me, I used to care about it when I was younger, Like it felt like fashion was a little more more important, like twenty years ago. Like now I just feel it's like everybody's wearing T shirts and stuff and h just T shirts and jeans, and it's so much easier to get dressed now, right whereas before, like you had to dress up a little more like now, you know, just with the whole athletic wear and everything. Yeah, it feels like you don't have to dress up as much. And I think a part of that is maybe that a lot of people are working from home and stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, do you remember during the tech rise that all these tech companies started wearing short of I mean they do it now, they wear pajamas, but they were wearing short of pajamas to work and you didn't have to wear a suit anymore. And I was in a professional space at that time in the law firm, and I was proud to wear a suit to work. It made me feel really good and important. But it was weird to see all these professional tech guys walking in their jeans and T shirts and you know, loafers to go to work.
Speaker 2: But yeah, definitely, I think feeling good is important, that is for sure. So whatever makes you feel good, I think it is important. So you like, sometimes even where I'm gonna work from home, I'll get dressed up as if I'm going to work, so I could just feel like I'm at work right versus just being in like shorts and sandals, and it just mentally gets me in the right mindset.
Speaker 1: I agree, one hundred percent. Before we get any further, I want to know because Here's what I know about you, Edwin. You do take care of yourself. You do exercise, you do eat healthy, and you are about good mental health and good emotional health. And you really are doing a lot of self care.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I've also learned that you really dress well. You know, there's certain labels that you wear. I guess a lot of hair stuff products and skin care products and all that. When did that self consciousness of looking good and taking care of myself start for you? Do you remember?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think after high school, like I want to just work out. I wanted to look good, I think fitness wise. At first, I think it was more for vanity reasons. Is for women. I wanted to I wanted women to be attracted to me. So I figured, okay, well let's work out, right. I think now it's more it brings me. It just relaxes me, like it's part of my mental health. Like I run because it helps me with anxiety. It helps me with you know, taking on things during the day that could be stressful. You know. I get that runners high after when I run. So now it's more for it keeps me, you know, sane, And I think, yeah, like I think at the beginning with with even with fashion, it was it was always for women.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: As you get older, you know, not not as much, right, but you know, I still like to I still like to feel like like like, I still like to feel good, right, But yeah, I mean I think, I mean, yeah, what about what about you? What's the insecurity that you have maybe of something looks wise, I guess, or beauty.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm I'm you know, in my fifties, I'm becoming that old guy living care.
Speaker 2: I can't even believe you said fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fifty one years old and good for that age.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Physically, thank you. Physically, I feel like I've done pretty good throughout my entire life of self care. Emotionally I've done pretty well as well. And confidence wise, you know I did. We do these things because we want to build our confidence since we were young. The very first time I remember considering my self care distinctively was when I went transitioned from seventh grade to eighth grade. In seventh grade, I was just a nerdy, you know, playful kind of kid, just running around playing with dogs, playing with people. Didn't care what I wore, didn't care about how I looked, and nothing the minute I went into eighth grade, I started changing the hair, having a hairstyle, changing the way I looked. In fact, I remember for my eighth grade graduation, I wore a white Miami Vice suit for my graduation because I thought I was cool and I had this big, old quoth you know, hairstyle to the side. And that was the beginning of my self care and self consciousness of I got to look good, you know, because otherwise girls aren't going to like me. Yeah, And naturally that's when it started for me, and I started getting a lot of attention. And I think sports in high school was what gave me the confidence for self awareness, like I'm fit, I'm fast, I'm you know, in control of what I'm physically doing to myself. And it wasn't until I graduated high school that I started doing weightlifting, and leading up to that, you know, it was trying to figure out what kind of hairstyle I want, what kind of outfits I want, what kind of car I want to drive, what you know, persona I want to build. So my point is is it evolved tremendously from when I first started taking care of myself too. Like you said, Vanity, purposes. I lifted weight to vanity purpose, but also for confidence.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I was a skinny little guy, fast runner because I had some really strong legs and absolutely no upper body muscle. And when I gained that and had the muscle, had the confidence, it changed everything. And people naturally respect you because you're fit, because you you're fast, you know whatever, you know, physical activity you're doing, and it just helped me realize I might be doing something right here, you know, and I just kept doing it. I just that's what kept me in the fitness industry and the fitness world all my life. I've always had a fitness class or one foot in the fitness industry while I was doing you know, all this business entrepreneur business building companies and stuff like that. So it was just always a part of me, and I think it was the biggest part of me because that's where I got most of my self confidence growing up in sports, as you know, you have that competitiveness in you, and when you don't have that after high school, you kind of have a void that you have to fill. So the way I filled it, you know, was racing bicycles or you know, doing you know, I don't know mostly racing bicycles was my thing until I discovered Spartan in my older age. But I always wanted to have some sort of competitiveness in my life because it it That's how I thrived, that's how I felt good about myself. Never really got into bodybuilding company Tissies because when I found out the way that they get to those big muscles is you got to take steroids. And because I was afraid of needles, I said, nah, I don't want to go that route. And there's a lot of negativity, not negativity, but side effects. Talks about taking steroids like you know that. You know, some kids say shit like, oh, your penis gets smaller. I don't want a small penis, ne do I? But you know, stuff like that was said. But the real reason was I was afraid of needles. I want to put a needle in me.
Speaker 2: You know what's interesting about confidence. I remember being eighteen nineteen and even during high school, like I had before I went out, I had to get a haircut and it had to be like a zero, right, so like a buzz and if I was clean shaven, and I would wear these jeans and a white collared shirt. Never failed. I would always pick up on chicks if I had that outfit, right, but I had to have the haircut. And if I didn't have the haircut, let's just say I couldn't make it. I'd have like the worst luck that night, like no action whatsoever. And as I think back at as I think back on it, it was all confidence. Like I didn't look that much different just because I gave myself a buzz a zero cut on the sides. But in my head, that's what was going to make me successful that night. So there is something to say about confidence and what it can do for you and how much I guess women just want a confident Matt at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Well, interestingly enough, I think it's your surroundings that influenced your desire to do self care. And, for lack of better description, beauty, you know it just beauty and guys just don't go together. For me. It's just don't call me beautiful, handsome. I'll take hands them all they but don't call me pretty or beautiful. Just doesn't make sense. But let's say I lived on a farm, and I grew up on a farm. The last thing going to think about is waxing my eyebrows, or wax in my nose or even shaving my face. You know, I'm going to be shoveling cowshit everywhere. Why would I want to get all, you know, clean shaven and deorderized and hair style to go shovel shit? Right? So, I think it's your surroundings growing up in Orange County. My understanding of Orange Counties, Florida. They're the mecca of fitness. Southern California is the mecca of fitness and beauty, and the majority of the people here exercise mostly for vanity. But I think it's shifting into more for longevity and good health. But I think if I didn't live in Orange County, I really wouldn't worry about waxing my eyebrows, because that's one thing I used to do a lot, and I just went recently because I started looking like a Neanderthal. So I will wax my eyebrows. I do like waxing my nose hairs because I just don't, you know, I don't like having a big old bullshel in my nose. And again, some of the things I just take.
Speaker 2: And Teddy hates it because I'll literally just go like this and pull it out and she hates it. She hates when I do that.
Speaker 1: That's when you know you need to go get a wax.
Speaker 2: Right now, when you know you got to go get a wax.
Speaker 1: And then more recently, I started noticing, and I don't know if it's just because of my self consciousness when I you know, I have been waxing my ears as well. I started noticing hair growing in my ears. And and it happens as you get older, right, yes, the same ship.
Speaker 2: Now. I didn't have hair coming out of my ears before, but now in my age, I'm starting to see like hair coming out of places that I I wasn't expecting hair to be coming out of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I have you know, some of my dirt bike friends that you know, they don't care about, you know, their love. You know, it's a whole different group of guys that I hang out with, and they got a big old bushel in their ear. And I'm like, oh, should I tell them? Should I not say anything? You know, but it's to each and their own.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I could justify it and say I pull my hairs in my nose because I want to breathe better. I pull the hairs in my ears because I want to hear better. Well, why do you watch your eyebrows because I want to look better? I don't know.
Speaker 2: By the way, when I was thirty, I had a friend of mine that was like, why don't you shave your legs? Like, because you know, he's like, you got hairy legs. Why don't you to your environment right? And he's like, you gotta shave your legs right. So, like a dumb ass, I was like, Okay, maybe I should shave my legs, but I don't want to shave. Let's just get it out of the way and go get laser. Holy shit, I've never gone through something more painful in my life like that shit was so painful. And then of course I have to tell Teddy why I did that, And I made up the stink because I was cycling at the time. That apparently when you when you're swimmer or cyclists, you have to shave your legs because you get faster. I guess you do. That's so that's what I went with, But that wasn't really the reason I did it. I wanted my legs supposedly to look good, but man, that shit was so painful. I went to three treatments. I was out, and then the hair grew back to top it off, like I still have my hairy legs. I thought I would go away forever, which is why I went through it. But holy shit, that was painful.
Speaker 1: A beauty is painful, bro. And I've only heard about getting your legs electrolysis. I think it's called where they zap your hair. I heard how painful that is, and I would never do it. I wouldn't even do wax on my legs. When I first started shaving my legs, it was for the same exact reason. It was for cycling purposes. Everybody talked about it like like you said, and I struggled with it in this because I'm like, that's not a manly thing to do, shaving your legs, you know. So I made myself a promise, and I was racing road bikes at the time. I said, if I can win three races in my in my category, I will shave my legs. Sure Enough, I won three races in a row and I had to go and shave my legs and it was really hard. It was really hard the very first time. I just had to get past that you actually shaved no I shaved, I got the shaving cream and the and the razor, and afterwards I got to be honest, I loved the way my legs felt. They were so smooth and so like comfortable and and you know, it didn't feel terrible. So I was hooked and I kept shaving him as long as I rode and until recently because I haven't When I started racing Spartan, I stopped cycling and racing road bikes, so I had no reason to shave my legs. And I'm not a hairy guy generally. I think part of somebody has said before that it's because you're a part Indian. I don't have a lot of hair. But I still prefer to shave my legs and I just have to have a reason for it. And recently I told myself, if you can ride, get back on the bike and start riding again, then you can shave your legs. So it's just one of those things like you gotta have a reason.
Speaker 2: Right, Is sex a reason to shave?
Speaker 1: No? No, I mean the private parts. Yes, I do keep my private parts clean.
Speaker 2: I feel like it looks bigger when it's clean, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think so, I you know, I frequently talked about that, what do you think? And the only reason I don't shave my face is because for years I used to shave my face to go to work, and I hated it, and sometimes i'd get, you know, the bumps on my face and it just sucked. And it wasn't until I left the professional legal world that I said, you know, I'm not sure even anymore. Plus, my wife likes the hair on my face, so and now I just trim it and keep it clean. But even then, you know, sometimes I forget and I go two months without even looking at it, and I have this big old beard and hair coming out of my nose, hair coming to my ears, and my hair's all over the place. And it's not pretty nowadays because when my hair grows long, it shows the gray. It's like whoa. But honestly, I would never color my hair. I know there's some guys, would you color your hair?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Color I dye my hair. Yes, I've actually been dying it probably forty one. I'm pretty gray. Yeah. I can't get used to the gray hair, though I've tried, like I've done the gray thing for a while, and I don't. I can't get used to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, like my wife says, I love you with gray hair, I'm just not there yet. It's gotta yeah, it's it's got to happen. I don't feel it yet now, like my beard when it's all white, if I let it grow, it's all white, I don't mind. I like my white dud. My gray hair, yeah, not with it just yet. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was afraid to start doing my hair when I started getting gray because I didn't want to maintain it. You know, it's because it's one of those things once you start and you're fighting eight for example, and next thing you know, you're six years old and you're still coloring your hair, and it just doesn't make sense because even over sixty, your skin looks aged and your hair looks twenty. You know, it just doesn't it make sense. Another thing also is actors I've admired, like some actors that have that sophisticated uh you know, I think they call it fox gray fox hair or something like that. Gray fox.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I've seen some afrofs that I look up to silverfox, yeah, and they look good and then you know, they portrayed really well and mature and sophisticated and wise, and you know, I'm okay with being that guy. Now, I'll be the wise guy, I'll be sophisticated, I'll be you know, I'm okay with the gray hair now because there's nothing I can do about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my kids don't like the gray hair. Whenever I'm great, dad, can you get rid of the grays? Teddy loves it, not the kids. You know what I just realized. I'm gonna tell you a fun story that I just remembered so and it's funny because it's happened to me twice in my life where I was excited about, like an event where I was gonna go take pictures. Okay, the first one was my prom, right, I was. I was in the royal court and you know, going for prom king and all that, and I went out of my way to feel good and look good.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So my buddy at the time, at the time, there was this whole thing of guys kind of doing their eyebrows and they called it pretty boys and stuff, and like women just liked it like it was a weird time. Yeah. So my buddy had like these great eyebrows that were sort of arched, and I said to him, hey, can you do eyebrows like yours like? And he's like, sure, it is one of my best friends. Well, this dude does them, and by the time he's done with them, I look like a drag queen. My eyebrows they're so thin. I got to show you a picture. Next time I see you, I send it to you. They're like the thinnest eyebrows you could have seen. So you see me in the Royal Court, and what was supposed to be a picture that I'd always remember forever is like the one of the worst pictures I've ever taken. And I look like a drag queen, right, And then it happens to me twenty five years later or twenty some years later whatever. It was at our premiere for Real Housewives Beverly Hills, the first year we came out.
Speaker 1: So that happened.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm like, man, coming out, it's carpet, I'm gonna look good. And I straightened my hair because I wanted my hair to look a certain way, which I but it was so straight it looked just whacked.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: But then I got a facial and I did something else to my face, like right next to it, like you know, like it was a facial and like one of those zap things. Anyways, all I know, yeah, is my face was like a it was reddish and it was it felt like as if it felt dry as could be. Like I think I've never felt my face more dry in my life. Yeah. Anyway, I do the Red Carpet and it's like the worst picture that I've ever taken in my life, even worse than the problem when I had and I still hate when I go and google my name. It's still one of the pictures that comes out. Yeah, and now I'm stuck for that just for batity reasons because I wanted to come out good in a magazine at the times, I figured it was probably going to come out on somewhere, so I wanted to look good, like, hey, premiere, this is the new husband and worst picture take ever. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyway, so let me let me talk about this next because I think it's it's important to decipher there's two ways that we get ready. I think one is getting up in the morning a regular routine and we go on our day, and then there's days where we have an event to get ready for a red carpet event, like you just said, right, so I want to know a little bit about your routine when you get up in the morning. And this is un like you. I like to work out in the morning. So I get up and I have my coffee, and I go to the gym and I get that done. And then if I I'm ready for my day, I'll take a shower. And if i'm whether I'm working at home or i'm you know, running around with meetings, I'll do my hair and all that stuff. So let's talk a little bit about our daily routines and then the difference between our daily routines and our red carpet routines. Okay, so in the morning, I get up, I brush my teeth. That's probably the first thing I like to do in the morning. Well, the one thing I have to go to do in the morning is go to the bathroom. Then I'll brush my teeth, and then I'll go downstairs and then I'll have a bottle of water, and then then I'll make my coffee. Depending on my mood, it's either a double espresso or a cappuccino, right, and I'll just take my time. I love to read in the morning, and so I spend about twenty minutes reading and then I get ready, feed my dog, go to the gym, come back, and then I'm ready to go. And my regular routine really is I mean, I wear a hat most of the time because two reasons. One it's super easy, so let's call it lazy, and the other is because it's the way to market my brand. I truly believe when you have a company, you market it any way. You can't whether it's a T shirt, hat, car billboards, however, you just you got to be a walking billboard because that's just the.
Speaker 2: Way it is, right.
Speaker 1: So I find myself wearing a hat most of the time. And even though I'll get a haircut, lately, it's been every other month, so I wait till I start looking like a chevaka and I'm like, can you get me in? So they cut it short and then you know, it's good for about three weeks and then it just goes the hey to hell from there. But that's really my routine. I shower, I brush my teeth, I put some lotion on my skin because I've always done that most of my life, and that's it. If I do fix my hair, it's like literally two minutes. And I do use a blow dryer sometimes depending on how long my hair is. And that's about it. That's all I do for you know, beauty stuff. And then, of course, because I wear tank tops and not tank toss but T shirts and T shirts most of my day and I'm in tennis shoes most of my day, I try to wear branded you know clothes, and I get a hard time for my wife and production like, do you wear anything else? Nope, That's all I wear. So it's it's been fortunate to get to this point. But I used to wear a suit to work every day, and I would wear I would go to the me too, you do. I like to wear suits when we go to red carpet events because that's really pretty much the only time I get to wear them anymore. I have no reason to wear you know suits really anymore. But I do feel good. I do feel good in having to dress up like that. So tell me about your daily routine and then we'll talk about, you know, our red carpet routine.
Speaker 2: As as soon as I wake up, I thank God for my health and I thank God for just another day of life, and then I drink some water. I usually like to keep two glasses of water there, and it's like to down at least the first one, right, I can't tell you, like hydration is so important for energy, right, So for me it's like just the first hour is so important to me, right, it's so hydrated. I have a Bible app that I read. I like to read at least one little chapter a day. I do a little then I go and brush my teeth, and as I'm brushing my teeth, I do a little gratitude exercise that I like to do, which I think I've talked about it here before. Where what am I happy about? What am I excited about? What am I proud of? What am I grateful for? What am I enjoying? What am I committed to? And what do I love? And the sub question to that is what about it makes me feel this way? And I do that typically as I'm brushing my teeth, and that kind of gets me just in a you know, gratitude is just I think, so important, right.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 2: I think gratitude and forgiveness are sort of inseparable, right, And then from there I go down and get my shake. So usually I like to do a six thirty class, like a hit class or a hot yoga class. But that's kind of my routine in the morning and then at night time. I love my sleep. I try to get six hours minimum, but in a perfect world seven is like ideal. But in order I noticed that in order to get that sleep, I gotta wake I gotta go to bed. Try to start going to bed around nine thirty, because if I stay up till like eleven, it messes up my entire sleep. Like I'm up at eight, it'll take me Like if I try to go down by eleven, I won't go to bed till twelve, and then I'm up all night and then I'll wake up at five. So it messages up the routine. But if I can go to sleep early, like at nine point thirty, I'll sleep the entire night and I'll wake up at five.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I almost feel like maybe it's because we're getting older. But what's that movie called Benjamin Button. Yeah, I feel like now that I'm getting old, I feel like I'm a kid again. Remember when like your kids, right, Yeah, the earlier you put them to bed, the longer they sleep. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So that's like one of the things that Teddy's always done a great job with our kids is she gets some trained to go to like our youngest. Right, she'll go to sleep at seven, she'll wake up at eight, nice, and she'll still take a nap from twelve to three, twelve to four, So she sleeps a ton, right, It's probably why she's so tall. But if we were to put her to bed at twelve, she'd still wake up at eight. Yeah, it's not like, oh, I'm up at twelve. I stayed up till twelve, so I'm gonna wake up at ten.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: She still wakes up around the same time no matter what. So I'm kind of the same way now, like if I stay up late. That that's why I hardly like going out anymore. That's why my dinner again, I'm like an old man now, like dinner. You want to have dinner? I had five thirty six.
Speaker 1: Yep, I'm right there with you.
Speaker 2: But it gives me time to digest my food. Right, Yeah, I sleep better, and yeah, it's it's it's hard to get me to go out at night anymore, just because it messes up my sleep so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it now too, Like why older people when I was young, you know, like why are you going to bed starting?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 1: What a boring life. And the reality is I'd rather have a boring, healthy life than feel exhausted, drained, and you know, sick because I'm going out all the time, eating out all the time, drinking all the time. I just do not desire that at all. Yeah, So tell me about some of the products you use in the morning to start your day. Do you use a face cream? Do you use any anything for the bags under your eyes? Do you wax your eyebrows or nose or ears?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: What do you use for a hair stuff?
Speaker 2: The dyes, the odd the eyes. I don't do is good of a job with on the cream. I do like putting creams every morning. In fact, I probably need a lesser expensive brand. I use this brand called Lamurr all right. I brought it just in case I think expensive though. I need to find me maybe or maybe they could sponsor me. But do you like it? I love it? It's just freaking pricing. Yeah, I still use good old Murray's. Have you ever heard of Morays? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. Yeah, yeah, probably three bucks all over your body. It clears up dry skin like no other.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well I don't think it's the same one More's is like the it's an orange can.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I was thinking about the white bottle. Okay.
Speaker 2: It's for people that have really thick care.
Speaker 1: I have really big care okay, and what you put on your hair. Yeah, oh okay.
Speaker 2: So it's like a palmade right. So that's one product that will spend a lot of money. And in fact, that's that's the same product I used to use in high school. Okay, I still use it nowt here twenty you know, twenty five thirty years later. Yeah, and it's just my favorite. So you know who also uses that product? My father in law.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, is he the one that turned you onto it? No?
Speaker 2: I'd been using it since I was like sixteen fifteen. So when I was at his house and saw it, I was like, oh shit, we used the same product. That's pretty cool because it's so inexpensive.
Speaker 1: You know, that's awesome. Cool, So you got hair hair products. I do use a palmad in my hair. I've used it for many, many, many, mini many years. And I discovered it at a salon that I used to go to four men only it was what was it called? I forgot what it was called, but it was awesome because you walk into the salon, they offer you either coffee or a glass of cocktail or something right, and then they can do your haircut. They can do your ear wax, your your nose wax, your eyebrow wax, everything that you can do to a guy. Even at some point they were doing butt waxes, like they were offering to wax your butt. But it was all I think they offered facials and stuff like that. It was just to pamper men, and I enjoyed it. I didn't go, you know, any further than just waxing my face and getting a haircut.
Speaker 2: You mean you didn't do a butt wax.
Speaker 1: I did not. I contemplated it, you know, because I do have a hairy but I don't know why, but I definitely thought about it, you know, but I just didn't want to show my buttholes to anybody. I don't even show it to my wife. But yeah, that was my first experience. That's when I discovered palmate, and I've been using it ever since. And nowadays. You know, if I'm not getting ready for a red carpet event and i have to get ready to go out, you can ask my wellife if it takes me less than five minutes. Even the shower, Like I wait the last minute, jump in a shower real quick, and I'm ready to go in five minutes.
Speaker 2: The hat is so easy, too write, when you just wear a hat and boom go.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. If I could wear a hat everywhere, my life would be so much easier.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: What about your routine when you're going to go on a red carpet event or an event where everybody's decked out, let's say a gala, you know, Okay, what's your routine?
Speaker 2: So if I want to have like a good hair day, which I'm not having today, I typically well take a shower about three hours prior. Okay, I'll wear like a beanie or like a do rag, right, and then I'll literally wait till the hair gets dry. Right, but it's like three hours. I'll just I'll either have a hat or this when I'll take it out and it's all straight right, and then I'll just and then I'll just mess with it to this, you know, blah blah blah, and then then we're out.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: But I typically because I don't know how to use a blow dryer. So because I don't know how to use a blow dryer, just slick the hair back, dry it, then use the palmade and then do the whole like messy thing. But so sometimes, like if I have a morning event, I'll actually sleep with the do rag, which Teddy hates, or I'll sleep with this sucker, which Teddy hates.
Speaker 1: So where did you learn that routine?
Speaker 2: Ah? Man, that's just like younger my hair because it's so thick, it goes. Yeah, so that sort of like holms it down, straightens it, and then I do my thing and then it looks like it's dry. Right, So I just I should probably learn how to damn use the blow dry that'd probably be a lot easier to save me three hours of freaking taking a shower three hours before I go out.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. I still like to wait till the last minute. I learned how to blow drying my hair watching the hairstylists do it for me. Yeah, So that's that's the only reason I use to blow dry. It's so much easier too. But you know there's times where let's say I'm writing my Harley, I just slick my hair back, put a little bit of pomp me to keep my hair out of my face. And throw my helmet on, and I'm off on the off on the races, right. But for a red carpet event, yeah, I get ready real fast. I usually ask my wife what she wants me to wear, because you know, most red carpet events are because of her, and I let her decide, you know what, what I'm gonna wear, unless I'm in a mood and I'm like, I'm gonna wear whatever I want to wear. But she usually picks that out for me and says, okay, yeah, wear suit or wear jeans and a nice shirt. I just go based on her opinion. And then, you know, I have a couple of pairs shoes in my closet that I don't wear often, you know, because I just want them to look new for whatever red carpet or whatever event we go to. So and as far as clothing, I don't really pay too much attention anymore. You know. I've gone as far as getting pants that I wear recently. When I go writing my Harley from Costco, I will pay seventeen dollars for a pair of pants that I can write on my Harley because they need to be baggy, they need to be comfortable. But yeah, They're not one hundred and eighty dollars pants. They're seventeen dollars Costco pants.
Speaker 2: I have these like three they are probably four hundred dollars slacks, but I wear them all the time and I've had them for like, I don't know, five years. They are my favorite and they're black.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other day I had a heart attack because like they threw them in the dryer and I'm sorry they washed them. Thank god they didn't put them in the dry because I would have been, like, those are my favorite and they don't make them anymore. Yeah, But it's funny how for me, I always wear the same like either the same genes or the same slacks. I like to have two go tos and then that's it. Yeah, but they're super company and they look good, you know what I've been getting lately. So I'm five nine, and I think you're a little taller, what five ten maybe five eleven?
Speaker 1: Yeah, five eleven. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So now I don't know how Instagram finds this stuff out, but I keep getting hit up for like these three inch souls that are like all the time. Right, So probably because you're not you're five to eleven, They're not marketing to you. But every day they're marketing to me, like, hey, you need three more inches on your soul, And so I keep getting these up and there's a part of me that wants to buy it. I actually sent it to Teddy because I just I was lazy where I didn't actually want to like buy it, so I was like, can you get this? And she still hasn't got it. But like technology nowadays, right back in the day, when I was single, I had these Ya sell boots and they had like a three inch heel. You know, back in the day there was that boot cut so you could never see the three inch heels. So I was like six foot for a long time, and that that was like my going out shoot. I only went out with my Wi cell three inch heel that no one would see. But because I wanted to be like women that were five to nine but heels were like six feet yeah, so I wanted at least be six foot. So it's funny anyway, now I'm getting marketed to all the time by these like heel things our souls, and I'm like, why the hell wasn't this shiit around when I was single, right you know? Yeah, now what's the point. I'm I'm I'm happy, I'm married. I'm happy being five to nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our wife accept My license.
Speaker 2: Still says five to ten, by the way.
Speaker 1: But okay, I'm getting short. Oh man. So let me ask you this. Do you get pampered in any way? And do you enjoy it?
Speaker 2: Not? Really? You know, I've never been into massages. I do facials. I like facials. I should do it more often. I used to be good with them. Now, I mean, I can't think they'll I can't remember the last time I got a facial. But I used to be pretty consistent with it, like once a month. Yeah, and I just haven't done it. But I used to like facials. That's that's as pampered as like I've gotten. I've never done the whole, the whole massage thing. It's just I've got a couple, but it's just never been my thing.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Teddy took me to that one place where they I think it's a Korean place, and they scrubbed the shit out of you. Yeah. Man, they had one in Beverly Hills. Man. That felt like reminded me a little bit of like Saw the movie, Like, am I gonna get murdered or something like. It's it's how would you describe Have you been in one of those? I have not.
Speaker 1: No, I've heard of them, and I've heard some are highly traditional where you have to walk around naked and from room the room, and you have to be naked. They don't allow you not to be naked and it's part of the whole experience. So I haven't tried that. I haven't had the balls to do that.
Speaker 2: It kind of felt like a corner's office. Yeah, like you know, they got there just like wash these like all these washed it. They basically washed you like a dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And you're just snaked and you're like, what the hell, it's crazy. It took me. I was like, all right, I'll do it, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny. Now I understand Teddy loves to be pampered with massages, right, Like that's her thing. That's that's one thing my wife mentioned that she loves, and I that's one thing I love. That's probably the most I spend money on is massages. I used to get a massage. At one point, I was getting a massage every week and it got to the point where like, okay, I got to back off on this because my massage budget is getting really big. But I just love the deep shoe sports massage that you know, she gets in there and she just finds the pain or finds the nod or finds the issue and it just works it out and I feel a million dollars a million times better afterwards. Even though it was a little painful, I know that in a couple of days, it'll repair itself and I'll be I'll get rid of that chronic pain, whether it's my back or my neck or my shoulder whatever. Right, So those are the kind of pampering massages I like, I wouldn't even categorize them as pampering because they the deeper that the therapists can get, the more productive it is for me. So when I have had massages, you know, when I'm on vacation and I'm like, I just need a massage, and I get a massage at the local hotel. Is just one of those little sweetest touch touch, touch touch. I hate those massages. They just they don't do anything. And I think it was probably a year or two ago I discovered or I decided to try a facial massage, and that was pretty freaking awesome. I've never had a facial massage or a facial and it's a pretty cool experience. But yeah, I'd just rather get the whole shebang, you know, head to toe massage. And I'll tell you, the longest massage I've ever had, I think was like six hours.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she she worked her ass off, you know, paste herself.
Speaker 2: But she just feels like an eternity to me.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, I two hours. An hour feels like a warm up for me. Now, two hours is like what I wish. But most massage therapists don't do more than ninety minutes because it's a lot of work.
Speaker 2: But it was.
Speaker 1: It was incredible, and I felt like a gazillion dollars after that was six hours. I don't know how she did it, but she's pretty amazing.
Speaker 2: Now I saw Tamera did like, was it a face lift? I don't know, she did something or her face.
Speaker 1: She did a brow lift and a CO two skin procedure where they basically burn a layer or two of your face. Since she did it at the same time.
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, that's what happened to me. I did one of those things where they peel your face and like a dumb ass I got. I got a facial like four days after. Yeah, that was not a good combination for my face. Hints that picture that came out, you know the first year of Real Housewives.
Speaker 1: Was it painful?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the peeling thing. Holy shit, it was again. You know how everybody gives you free shit back, you know, so they're like, hey, come in for this. It's it's appealing thing, Teddy approved. But then I got another face or just because it was for free as well, Yeah, I'm like, I might as well make it look good. Well yeah, no, it did the opposite for my face. But anyway, would you ever do something like that? I would never do it like an eyelid thing like what camera did.
Speaker 1: No. No, I won't say never because throughout my life that I've ever said I'll never do that and never this, never that.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 1: Somehow life just puts it in front of you and and it changes things, right, It's all perspective. I would, for example, my my wife has gotten plastic surgery and she's not, you know, hiding it by any means. But I've always told myself when I was younger, I would never date or marry a woman that has to get plastic surgery, because that's just not it's fake, it's phony, it's it's it's not a real person. And obviously I'm in love with my wife and she's a real person. I love the real woman she is, and that the work she has had done on her face has been very subtle.
Speaker 2: She's done a pretty job of like looking natural, like I wouldn't Yeah, if she didn wantn't have posted on the Instagram, I would have known.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So so I have a new outlook about it, a new respect for it, you know, like, Okay, maybe a little tuck here and there, if you can afford it, because it's expensive, might do the trick. And the one thing that I've always thought I probably would want to do but I could never afford, was getting my teeth done. I have pretty yeah, veneers, I've had. I have pretty good teeth. There's a couple of crooked ones and you know, chip your down my waist. No, no, but I am gonna go. I'm gonna go do that, Edwin, I'm gonna go get some veneers. I'm gonna go. I'm gonna fly to Texas where Smile Texas is. It's one of the best doctors. I I did VET a few doctors, and I enjoyed the conversations because my biggest fear was they're gonna grind your teeth all the way down, you know, to the I guess call it the core, and you're gonna have these weird teeth and then they're gonna put some fake teeth on there, right, So I never want to.
Speaker 2: Bind you down.
Speaker 1: Nowadays, the new technology is they kind of sand it a little bit. They just take a very very small little layer of your teeth and then they'll do the cosmetics side. Like my front teeth here are chipped a little bit, so they'll they'll grind those a little bit to their flat or even and then they'll grind a little bit this crooked teeth a little bit so that the veneer can fit better. But here's the thing that really convinced me. The doctor was all about function first over esthetics, right, because you've seen doctors out there that do these veneers and you have this fake white smile that the teeth are all close together, it looks like one piece and it just doesn't look natural at all. And that's not what I want. I wanted to look as natural as possible. So when the doctor mentioned their technique is all about a function. First, they have to be functional, like you've got to be able to eat, you got to be able to bite into an apple. You've got to be able to use them like they're meant to be. And then we'll talk about esthetics. You know, how do we make them a little bit closer together, how do we make them a little bit straighter. Do we want to widen your smile a little bit or keep it narrow based on your biology, right so or physiology. So after talking to the doctor and doing my research and then you know, getting a kind of an idea of what's going to look like, I was like, I think I want these. I'm sold. I'm sold. So next week we're going to go to Smile, Texas and get fitted for them and get the temporaries, and then we're going to fly home and then fly back and get the permanent ones.
Speaker 2: And are you hearing it out on a with towm at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, So both my wife and I are going to do this and we're going to have million dollar smiles. But you know, the thing that other concern I had was, you know, as you age my grandmother who's ninety nine years old. You know, she's been through a couple of denture teeth, She's lost a couple of denture teeth, and that just scares a shit out of me, Like, am I going to lose my teeth? So I talked to the doctor about that, and he says, no, the technology nowadays is so much better. You will probably have these veneers until the day you die. So they last about they used to last about ten years and you had to get them redone kind of like fake boobs, right, But the doctor said, you can get twenty to thirty years depending on how well you maintain these, and you can get you know, really good longevity on your teeth. So I'm going to have a big smile with straight teeth, the perfect smile, and my wife's going to be happy. I'm going to be happy, and you'll make sure we do.
Speaker 2: You're going to be showing off your teeth to us.
Speaker 1: I will, I will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got that to follow up on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably going to be the most superficial thing I've ever done to myself is my teeth, because I just don't see myself getting you know, nip and tuck. I scared my head too. Yeah, it just seems scary to me, and I you know, I'm not so worried about it. You know, I know who I am. I know I'm getting older, and I think the scary part for.
Speaker 2: Me is you do it, you don't like it, and then you try to fix it it, then you don't like it, yeah, and then before you know it, it's just a shit show. So I've made the the decision that I'm gonna just let it age. I'll do botox, so I'll do that kind of stuff. But hey, I'm just I'm scared deny it, like I'm scared of cutting my face like I have. You know, I've never been in I've never gone down with oxygen what do they call it, oh, anesthesia?
Speaker 1: Like you've never been put out?
Speaker 2: No, I've never been put out. So that's why I'm like, probably a good thing that I because of that, I probably won't do it, or I know I won't do it because I'm just freaked out about that stuff.
Speaker 1: That's funny. I have been put out a few times when I was having my heart issue, and they used it was funny. I'll never forget the conversation the very very first time I was going to be put out, and I was like, I don't know what to expect because the last time I was in the first time, first and last time I was put out was when I got my molers taken out, and I was like, thinks, seventeen eighteen, and I don't remember the experience. I just remember waking up crying and you know, like what happened to me? And recently when I had my heart issue, I went to the doctors and they were gonna put me out, and the nurse was just talking up well profolo or something like that. Pro profolo, I think it's called. It's an anesthesia that Michael Jackson used to sleep and she was like, it's the best experience ever. You're gonna love it. And I'm like, I'm just getting put out. And sure enough, you know, I think I was put out multiple times that year, whether it was a cardio version or actual ablationion, I was put out with that stuff, and I'll tell you it was pretty awesome. It knocks you out, you don't even feel it. You wake up and you're a little groggy, and it takes about three or four hours to really get out of your system, but you feel amazing. It's crazy. So I can understand the excitement behind you you put out And it's pretty safe, relatively safe, I think as long as you're pretty healthy and the anesthesiologist as they're watching your monitoring, I think it's pretty safe. But that's that's yeah, that's my experience with that. I do have one more point to make, and that's why do you think most guys have the stigma of not talking about, you know, their self care or self beauty. You know, I mean I have a lot of friends that do take care of themselves. I grew up in the era that was metrosexual, right, you know, you take care of your health, you take care of your hire, you take care of them. You know, you just take care of yourself. What about those guys I just don't care, you know, they just so.
Speaker 2: I always often talk about how whatever you don't do for a long time, you'll start to dislike it. Right, So, if you don't do something for a long time, dislike it. So if you haven't gone to the gym for a long time, you probably dislike the gym. If you haven't really taken care of yourself for a long time, you probably dislike having to take care of yourself because whatever whatever you serve, you'll love. Right. So many times, like you said, like you just kind of get away from like taking care of yourself and before you know you're just like yah, screw it, and before you know it, you're you just let yourself go, right. So I think there's a part of you know, if you let yourself go sometimes it's so hard to get back to where you want to that it's so discouraging that you just take the easier path, right, which is not like I'm thinking fitness right for me. I've always had an example, is fitness right for me? There is a certain point where I'm like, oh man, I need to get back to it right, because if I don't, I'm gonna let myself get to another place that it's harder to recover from as far as like it's just hard and it's discouraging, right, So I try not to let it get to that place, right. So I think with I guess taking care of yourself, whether that's your fitness, whether that's the way you dress, whether it's I think it just comes back to when you don't do something for a long time, you just start to dislike it, and you're like, yeah, I don't need that anymore, care about it? So not a bad I mean, it could be a good thing in many reasons and in many ways, right, Like if you haven't drank for a long time, you start to dislike alcohol, Like I don't really like alcohol anymore, right, But it's just I rarely drink now, so I don't really like it as much.
Speaker 1: You know. So do you think there's guys out there that talk about it freely because it's a normal I don't even want to stay secure because there's a lot to secure guys out there that just don't do you know, the self care, self beauty.
Speaker 2: It's also pricey, right, so like I guess you pick and choose, right, So for women probably a little more important, I would think, yeah, than for men. And for men it's expensive. So you're like, yeah, that's not really a priority for me right now. So I'm cool with my T shirt, right, I'm cool with not getting a facial and things like that. So that that's kind of the way I look at it.
Speaker 1: What about your nails? Have you ever gotten your nails done?
Speaker 2: Do you get your na?
Speaker 1: Know? What?
Speaker 2: Nails is one thing I've never my toenails. I'm starting to do now just because you know, as you get older, your toenails get weird too, So those I'm starting to do. But I found like, shit, man, that thing's expensive. Like I'm like, come on, you're really going to charge me eighty bucks for or a hunt? Like haircuts are expensive now, like what happened to the five dollars haircuts?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Like when I was growing up, I was getting a three dollar haircut. Now it's like seventy eighty. I'm like, wait a minute, you just freaking run my hair up and you're charging me eighty bucks or a hundred bucks and then you got a tip on top of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hund dollar haircut. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: The one I can't justify is my hand nails because I could easily just get a clipper. Yeah, do it myself, so that I refuse to pay for the toenails I'm paying for.
Speaker 1: Okay, I wouldn't. I wouldn't expose my nail lady to my toenails because they're just grotesque. But yeah, I wouldn't pay for that either, because for me, I can just get a clipper and be clip my nails and spiling down and be done within a minute. Honestly, it takes that long to just get it done. And I just can't justify paying eighty dollars to get my nails done. But I do know some guys that that's their thing. They really enjoy that and it's their way of pampering themselves.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you guys getting circumcised when they're older.
Speaker 1: I have, I've heard, I have, remember I think I was. It was must have been like twenty years ago. And I don't really know why they would do that at that age. I think we were in our mid thirties when this guy was talking about it, and I just didn't understand, you know, why he wanted to do that, you know, but.
Speaker 2: It makes your penis look bigger. I don't know. But I that's a hard one for me. That's a tough thing. That is shage at this age. You know.
Speaker 1: I I don't want beauty to be painful. I want it to be as natural as possible. But sometimes, you know, I don't know how painful this teeth thing is. Going to the doctor said it doesn't hurt at all, But I have no idea because you know, I grew up with the budget dentists that would, you know, stick the needle into your bone and it would just traumatize you and you would never want to go back to the dentists, right, dude, I.
Speaker 2: Wore braceists for three years because I couldn't we couldn't afford to take him out.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, that you know that would traumatize you. So it wasn't until my probably early to mid forties that I found a dentist that did not stick the needle into my bone and make me cry. And I had a new new outlook for going to the dentists and getting my teeth clean and getting my teeth worked done because it wasn't painful anymore when they stuck the needle in my mouth. But that's yeah, if it's painful, I'm not doing it. I'm not doing it. So anyways, I'm always great chatting with you and catching up. I'm glad you're doing well.
Speaker 2: Saying some with you. Man, I'm glad you're doing well. Can't wait, just look at your teeth next time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited too. I'm actually excited. I always been against it, but I'm actually interested in open to it and excited to see what it looks like all right, till next time, Until next time,