Speaker 1: Native lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reaisent Choice Media. Welcome home, y'all, this is our mini pod and this week we are talking about the case of Nolan Wills, which is brought into a lot of our minds and on our hearts. We've been thinking about whether or not black children are safe in the company of their all white friend group and Bakari, as you know, Nolan Wills was eighteen years old, a star football player, was on a boat in Horn Island, Mississippi with some of his friends, which is in Jackson County, Mississippi. He was there on the fourth of July and his family did not hear from him again after that. His body was found in Horn Island on the sixth. So my heart certainly goes out to his family. Our prayers are with you all, and I'm so sorry for this devastating loss. But I got to tell you, Bakari, instantly, I thought of my best friend's son, who on the same day, on the fourth was sending us videos with his all white friend group jumping off a boat into the water. And I was having a fit because I was like, you're jumping off too close to the boat. You're going to hit your head and like have a concussion. Can you please not do that, to which he responded, you only live once, which I was very upset about. But you know, after that and when we started hearing more about Nolan, I was like, well, he needs to bring a black friend with him going forward. So I just am curious to know what you think about this. I have a lot of reservations thinking about all of the many incidents over the years, ell since before we were alive, where that one black person is with the all white friend group and it doesn't end up being so safe.
Speaker 2: So I I think about this in a few ways.
Speaker 1: So you've probably been that black friend maccary in your life. You ain't never been with all white friends. You got a lot of white friends.
Speaker 2: I do, but maybe like at Heathwood Hall my ninth grade, but we didn't go nowhere. I was so young, so my parents, my parents were very cognizant, Like I wasn't able to ride with a teenager in high school, Like my parents didn't allow me to ride with another teenagers simply under the rule that teenagers don't make good decisions. Right. There are a couple of things you know, when you are a black parent, you parents your children differently culturally. My kids don't have toy guns. They just don't. They don't have a luxury going out in the street shooting toy guns at each other. Sadie and Stokely don't have toy guns. I would.
Speaker 1: I just want to make a note for the people listening that the super soaker was created by a black man.
Speaker 3: I definitely had a super soaker carry.
Speaker 2: On, Yeah, But we talked about some of these guns right now. Some of these toy guns look real as a mug right now. You know, I might let them get a super soaker or something, but like those things that anyway, also, I probably they don't. They don't really go as of right now, aren't trying to be separated, and there will. There will come a time I was joking with you off aired it. Stokely had a friend come over, and Sadie said that the friend couldn't come until gymnastics practice was over so she could be there with him. Right so she ain't gonna miss out on no opportunity to be with her brother. But at that time time comes, I would be extremely hesitant without some vetting of where you're going on a lake, probably ain't one of the places. What time you're gonna be home? Who are their parents? If I don't know, I'm not saying the answer is no. But I have to have a certain level of familiarity for you to be in this all white setting. I say that to say that I may not also let you go out without that same level of familiarity with an all black group of friends either, right, I mean I as a parent, I'm going to be not overly protective, but very very protective of my and I'm not pleased. Do not say that I'm trying to be in any way shape form a fashion critical of the parenting of Nolan. I don't know enough details. I'm not saying they. I'm just telling you how I raise my kids. Because I was looking at the young lady named Dreamed all brief. She was a twenty one year old influencer who just got shot and killed in her Lamborghini two nights ago. She was hanging out with an all black group of folks, drove off and they pulled up. They murdered her and her cousin in a car. So one of the things I say all that to say that I am educating my children on understanding, knowing your whereabouts, having a friend that you call a true friend with you at all times, and your parents simply ain't gonna let you do everything you want to do because I ain't your what's your mama say, I ain't your little.
Speaker 1: You know, Bakari When you brought that up about you're gonna vet the black kids too, you vetting the full rainbow coalition. I thought about my mom because there was only one friend that I can remember, like elementary, middle school or high school that my mom was like, hell to the naw I'm not gonna say her name for protection, but I remember her name, and I wanted to I wanted to cheerlead for like little league football, because this girl did, and I wanted to hang out with her. And my mom was like, you're not cheerleading because most of them girls is fast, and a little friend is fast.
Speaker 3: I don't even want you talking to her being around her.
Speaker 1: And I remember being so surprised because my mom was never on that type of time, but she did not. She wasn't going for it. She was like, yeah, no, you're not ready for the world like you think you are. Booth it's not happening, and so I hear that. I just think that there's something ancestrally that is stirring up us around this Nolan Wills case.
Speaker 3: When we were off air.
Speaker 1: When we were off air, we were talking about what is being reported right now in TMZ, which is that the sheriff if Jackson County is saying he doesn't see any foul play. Well, Jackson County is sixty six percent white. The kids who were with Nolan Wills have deactivated their social media accounts, and one of the kids stepmothers, is a judge in the area, and so I want to put her statement up be because I think this is interesting that a judge, while there's an open investigation, felt comfortable and audacious enough to post the following statement.
Speaker 3: So she says, our family.
Speaker 1: Along with the community, grieves the loss of Nolan Wells. Our thoughts and prayers are with Nolan's family. Our son, Warren loved Nolan dearly. Unfortunately, I feel that it is appropriate for our family to dispel some rumors with facts based upon the social media attention that is being diverted away from the Wells family and their loss. Mind you, the Wells family went to social media to find their child. But I digress. So there, she says, defensively, Yes, I deactivated my Facebook given the very heightened emotional state of social media right now, I fear for the safety of my child and my children. My husband and I have six children, and we covet their privacy. We do not believe it is appropriate for our minor children's photographs to be circulated throughout the Internet, presenting potential threats to their safety. Pausing here to just acknowledge that these are the last people Nolan was photographed with, and people want to know if they were with him or not when he died.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is why, this is why I find the share of statement to be so troubling. Yeah, because Judge Cole, we got to bring.
Speaker 3: That back up to but you can then you can pause it for now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we Judge Cole could be accurate in her assertion that that you know, her son had nothing to do with it. She could be very accurate in the assertion, and people could It could be he could have drowned, It could be an accident. He could have had a stroke, He could have all of these could have could have, could have, could have, right and we don't know what happened, and we're not here too. And I don't want to find those young boys guilty in a court of public opinion because that we that happens to us and our people too much. And I ain't about to start handing that out. But the reason in the circumstances surrounding this require more attention, it requires more detail, it requires more transparency.
Speaker 3: Well, let's keep reading her statements and you can see.
Speaker 2: So let me let me just let me tell you why the sheriffs is wrong. Because when you come out here right now and say there's no evidence of foul play, many of us look like you're drawing conclusions before we know. The investigation is over.
Speaker 3: He's made he's telling you didn't. Investigation is over.
Speaker 1: And that's what's so troubling, because this stepmom is the judge, and I want to keep reading her statement. This is why I'm bringing this up. Be she's moving in this. So she says she deactivated her Facebook. This is clear that her Facebook is back up. So if she deactivated her Facebook throughout the course of the investigation, she.
Speaker 3: Must know something we don't.
Speaker 1: She probably knows the investigation has reached this inclusion and maybe she had a little something to do with it. So she says next, I graduated high school with Christine Wells Wansley. We are from the same community. I have the utmost respect for her and all of the Wells family. We mourn the loss of Nolan with them. Our prayers have been and will continue to be with them. Then she goes on defensively to say, my husband and I were not at Horn Island at any point on fourth of July. No one in our family is trying in any way to impede with the investigation by law enforcement or to otherwise hamper the family and law enforcements quests for answers. Warren was interviewed by the This is fascinating. This is mind blowing to me that this is a judge doing this. By the way, Warren was interviewed by the Jackson County Sheriff's Department and cooperated fully. He saw Nolan last at around three pm on July fourth. They left around four point thirty pm when the boat was taking on water and they had an issue with the bilge pump. Nolan made a decision to stay on the island and return inland later with another group of friends. Yes I am a judge. Let me say that again. Yes, I am a judge. I also value transparency. I apologize if anyone was offended that I deleted my social media. There was no there were no nefarious motivations in my deleting my social media. Social media has a lot of positives, but a whole lot of negatives. But she is on here singing the pain with her song on social media. We live in a world of clickbaiting. Sad but true. She clickbaiting right now. My family is hopeful that this information will help to redirect the attention to the Wells family, their grief and their need for our community support. Here's where she fucked up. This ain't about to redirect the attention to the Wells family. People have even more questions.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: You're an heir, a judge, a sitting judge who knows that something happened.
Speaker 3: To this child.
Speaker 1: The child has lost his life, and you're up here posting about your son and wanting to protect your son. Your son and the friends who he was with didn't help to protect this black child.
Speaker 3: I don't understand.
Speaker 2: I think that the state anytime a sitting judge in a County makes a statement like this is beyond it lies because I mean, apparently your son was, you know, not a target, but a subject of the investigation. He came in, he was one of the last people that was with you know, apparently your son did have or was with people who looked as if they may have been underage, drinking on a boat or whatever they had in their hand. But I also, I mean, I think that investigations have to play out. The problem is with this happening and with the sheriff's statement, there is there is no there's no fundamental belief that the investigation is going to play out fairly or with transparency. And that's unfortunate because I don't want this family, this Wells family, and that's I mean, it should have been something, if they friends, it should have been something she texted them or called them or talked to them about and said, look, we're praying for you. But you know, Warren was with him. Warren says he swears he didn't see anything. But we taking them down into the police. Well, you know, we'll be at the funeral if you want us to be there, but we understand if you don't. But our prayers are with you and your family and doing this. I mean, that's not something that you post. I just there are too many questions coming out of is this Texas, Mississippi, Mississippi, Ssissippi. There are too many questions coming out of Mississippi, and the imagery is not something that is conducive to us. Just trusting and believing. I get What's who was it? Nixon? They said, Trust Paverify. That's what all black folk are trying to do. Trust Paverify.
Speaker 1: I'm reading this piece that talks about his best friend, jay Von Williams, who is seventeen years old, who like a normal friend would went to help with the search crew. He said he was supposed to have been on the same boat with Nolan, So I think that this is fascinating. He said he saw him later, he told him he loved him, and he spoke with other friends and a girl in the crowd. He saw him sometime after four and they said. Another friend, Trace Carter, said he spoke with Nolan before the trip and told him to be careful, hit me up when you get back, watch out for yourself.
Speaker 3: So I think that's also interesting.
Speaker 1: You know, there may have been some friends who had some reservations about this fring group.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I think this is fascinating.
Speaker 2: So you know, the sheriff. This is the problem that I have with the sheriff, and this is the way that I look at investments.
Speaker 3: He said, they suspect he drowned. The sheriff suspected he drowned.
Speaker 2: It says that Ledbetter says everything investigators have gathered so far indicates that no crime has taken place. That said, he's cautious. The investigation remains active and tells us that assessment could change if new evidence comes to light. They're continuing to interview additional witnesses while also sorting through a barrage of emails, texts, and social media tips. Right now, much of it remains unverified. My point to you is that if you are walking into a racially tense scenarios such as this, where you have the death of a child, you don't put out bullshit statements like this. This is why people don't trust the police in law enforcement. When you get ahead of your own investigation, it breeds this trust.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and my thing is, I'm still distrusting these kids because I'm trying to figure out why they weren't and it's were they not involved in the search with the best friend, Like, if you don't know what happened to him, why are you not helping to search for the child? Are you helping to search for the jib? Where is that information? Did the girlfriend help search for the child?
Speaker 2: I mean, you would like to know.
Speaker 3: We do not know. We would like to know.
Speaker 1: I'm not seeing any article reporting that the girlfriend or these four white boys were helping to search for the child.
Speaker 3: That's all I'm saying. Javon went to go help. It looked for him.
Speaker 2: You were not supposed to bury a child. That's not what God intended. I don't know if that's the way I should phrase it, but say, but that's the way I feel about it. That's just that that type of pain is something that I don't wish on anybody. So my prayers with the Wales family and people down there are just making bad decisions. To ce Ya, that's in the legal we had that thing in the legal profession. You have a lawyer goes up there like why is he putting that on the record? What do you see? Why are they filow that motion? It's called cya. That's what's happening right now in Jackson County. They are covering your ass or their ass in this particular case.
Speaker 1: That's the thing I don't like. That's how that's how the statement Raids reads from the judge. She wrote that response or that message on Facebook like she had no legal training at all, And to be a sitting judge that is supposed to be impartial, even when your children are involved, you just don't have You shouldn't do that. You shouldn't do that. She went in and talked about when he was interviewed, you know what was asked? Who was there?
Speaker 3: You know, it's just it's just too much.
Speaker 1: And if these are the people who saw him last, even if you didn't raise them him that way, even if you didn't raise him that way, they should have to answer for when they last saw him and what happened. You know, if he drowned, was he did? He drown by himself? Nobody was around there?
Speaker 2: Did nobody called it? The last thing? Like, yeah, ain't nobody just going out Yeah, nobody call the police.
Speaker 3: Ain't nobody bumped into the water.
Speaker 2: Ain't nobody going out there just swimming by himself?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Man, we got a lot of questions that need answers.
Speaker 1: But I think what I would ask the viewer at home to consider is do you trust? And I know this may sound, you know, prejudiced, a little bit or discriminatory, and I'm sorry, but I'm curious to know where people land on this. Do you trust your black child being on a solo mission with the right a group of white friends. But Kari said he don't trust none of these groups of friends. He's gonna trust it, but verify all of them. He doing background tracks and vetting all of them. I agree, but there is a certain level of terror that I feel in my body thinking about my godchild.
Speaker 2: The optics breed a little angst. I ain't gonna lie to you, but I ain't in this environment. Listen, We're gonna figure out who you with at all times.
Speaker 3: I agree with that too, and.
Speaker 2: We're gonna know. We're gonna know everything we can about them. And you know, I wrote the children book. You know what it's called Who Who are your people?
Speaker 3: Who are your people?
Speaker 2: That's what we want to know? Who are your people?
Speaker 1: And we are asking who are your people? And who are gonna be there? That is the point.
Speaker 2: Who all gonna be there?
Speaker 3: Who are gonna be there, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.