Speaker 1: He Hello and welcome to my favorite murder, the miniso. Do we read you your stories you send in emails?
Speaker 2: We agreed we would read them. What more do you want.
Speaker 3: Us to do?
Speaker 1: And they can be about anything at this point in life. Yeah, I mean, fuck it, you know, truly?
Speaker 2: Would you like to get first?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: This one's called creating new fears for my child. Hello from Virginia. In a recent hometown, y'all asked for our own trash parenting stories and I am finally in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was twenty one when I had my first child, so basically a baby raising a baby, And somewhere along the way I started joking with her about quote dropping her off at the fire station my mom did is more than because they have the baby drop boxes, and I always thought it was a joke. We even joked about how she would have to tuck her knees because she was probably getting too big for the box.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: One day, when she was about five years old, when I dropped her off at her on base daycare, they informed me that the fire department would be doing an annual walk through later in the day. Okay, cool, no big deal, until her daycare provider called me a few hours later, because when my daughter saw the fire truck out front, she ran into a closet screaming, no.
Speaker 4: Don't take me, I'll be good. Oh that's right.
Speaker 1: My daughter thought the fire department had come to pick her up and take her away.
Speaker 4: She was hysterical.
Speaker 1: Turns out I had successfully made her terrified of all firefighters.
Speaker 2: Good news.
Speaker 1: She's now fifteen and no longer scared. But it was super fun explaining to her daycare provider that I was actually a terrible parent and to please not report us. Thank you guys for all that you do in keeping me company on long drives into work.
Speaker 4: Cecily and then it says good luck on the pronunciation.
Speaker 1: I just go with whatever these days looks like Cecily, Cecily or Cicily Cecily.
Speaker 2: Cecily's cool.
Speaker 3: I like that name. I like a self reporting trash parent. Please, if you're if you've been trashy and you want to talk about it, we're here for you.
Speaker 4: You all have those stories, we know it.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on.
Speaker 3: Also, it's that thing where I think for my trash babysitter story of my own, it was like I only ever related to other adults, so I forgot that children do not relate the same way, and I wonder if it's like that's part of it. It's like you're a young parent and you're just like, oh wait, okay, that's right, Okay, here's my first story. The subject line is an Irish hometown story with a difference. Hi, Karen, Georgia, Stephen, Alejandra and all free creatures. I love you gals, obviously as you brighten up my day, it says brighten up me.
Speaker 2: Day, me day, because they're day, brighten me.
Speaker 3: Day, my walks when I'm cooking, et cetera, et cetera. I first came across your podcast a few years ago when I heard my colleagues giggling in the office with their earphones in. They were all listening to you while working. Oh nice, So I could tell you about the spooky happenings in the house I grew up in that's over one hundred and twenty years old. But I'll leave that to another time and tell you about something way better. I wanted to let you know about a fantastic eighty three year old from Ireland who was a crucial behind the scenes part of the Bansheese of venisheerin.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, did you watch that movie? I loved that movie.
Speaker 3: We think it's such a lovely story and of course Karen's Irish, so we wanted to share it with you. Delia Berry joined the knitting group through Greystones Cancer Support when her husband Patty died over ten years ago. She found friends and comfort from this group and from GCS, so she wanted to give something special back. Something else special about Delia is that she also took in her sister's four children when she lost her sister to cancer many years ago. Delia is Jesus's favorite person. She shot to fame having knit the iconic jumpers sweaters for Colin Ferrell, Brendan Gleeson, and Barry Kyogan in the Oscar nominated movie The Banshees of a So that movie is like the sweaters are the third lead. Yes, and Delia is the one who made all of that amazing. Also, Tolin Ferrell's sister, who actually won an Oscar for Best Supporting Carrie Something, has an incredible cardigan that I was obsessed with, like every I watched it like three.
Speaker 2: Times, and she made it.
Speaker 4: You can get you can commission one.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, Delia, I need to talk to you, Okay. So Brendan Gleeson has even asked her to knit two more for him, since what we didn't know before now was that Delia is no stranger to the celebrity world, having knit for Meryl Streep for her role in Dancing at Luganza, and having taught Emily Watson how to knit for her role in the movie Little Women. Cute, Celia is an inner national superstar. She fits knitting in and around her bingo and walks around her town gray Stones, County Wooklow in the Garden of Ireland.
Speaker 2: In the Garden of Ireland? Is that a saying?
Speaker 4: You tell me?
Speaker 2: I can't? How cool?
Speaker 3: Is she? Right? If you'd like to read more about our famous and generous Delia, you can read all about her in The New York Times, Vogue, the.
Speaker 2: Daily Mail, to name a few.
Speaker 3: This is the best, Stay sexy and don't get murdered and wrap yourself in a cost knit Aaron sweater. Knit with love, Mary, Wow, Mary, I love that emails.
Speaker 4: You want to be an old lady like I'm excited to be an old lady.
Speaker 3: Also, it's like the thing that brought her to knitting was this painful, difficult thing that then knitting actually helped her with and then she kind of kept powering through and then she was like, now everybody loves my knitting, and.
Speaker 4: Now she needs her own movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she actually does, and like all those stars will come and star in it with her. Stop it.
Speaker 4: I love it. I'm mad, I'm mad.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Such a good email.
Speaker 1: Okay, just found out my uncle's death was a murder, all the requisite pleasantries and compliments. I am from a large East Coast Puerto Rican family of murderinos. My abuelo's grandparents were married for almost seventy years before a Builo became an ancestor. Isn't that a beautiful way of saying he passed on? Yeah, and I am the oldest of sixteen grandchildren. Several of us kids grew up on a heavy dose of diagnosis murder twenty twenty CSI, and the list goes.
Speaker 4: On diagnosis murder.
Speaker 1: Recently, I think I uncovered our family's Murderino origin story. When I was growing up, our relative Rosa and it says all names changed, would occasionally come visit from Puerto Rico with her two kids, Letty and Roberto. Rosa's relation to us was unclear, but I assumed that she was a distant aunt. During their visits, they would go to the local so materia for Rosa's husband, my assumed uncle, was buried. I always wondered why he would be here instead of in Puerto Rico. Cut to a few weeks ago, A handful of the family was at Abuela's house pouring through old albums and bins of pictures. My sister pulls out an eight x ten portrait of a handsome young man that looked like it was from the sixties. Who's this, she asked, Oh, that's Javier, Rosa's husband. My Abuela said solemnly, you know, she said, turning to me. They killed him. I instantly had about a million questions and went to work trying to get them all answered. So here's the story I was able to get from my Abuela, my mom, and a free trial to a newspaper website. In the mid eighties, Rosa unfortunately had a miscarriage. Javier, who was my Abuilo's cousin. That's how they related, dropped off a young Letty and Roberto at my Abuela's house so he could go be with Rosa in the hospital, who was the last time any of our family would see him alive. His body was found in a field the next day. He was thirty eight years old. The police interviewed everyone at my Aguila's house, including my mom, since that was the last place he was seen. It took months of investigation, but the story came together. Javier dropped off the kids and was carjacked on the way to the hospital. He withdrew one hundred dollars from the ATM, and twenty five minutes later, his car was found on fire in a residential area. They found him the following day. He had been shot execution style. Nearly two years later, three suspects were arrested and one was eventually convicted.
Speaker 4: He was also convicted of.
Speaker 1: Killing a cab driver a few weeks after Javier's murder, and is suspected to be involved in a few other murders. After the trial, Rosa took the kids and moved back to Puerto Rico. So this happened in the US. Yeah, by all accounts, she was never the same. Apparently, the murderer was up for parole in twenty nineteen and my uncle spoke with the hearing on behalf of our family. Everyone kept it yet because they didn't want Rosa to find out. We're unsure of what the outcome was, but COVID hit shortly thereafter, and the murderer died in prison. I found his obituary and it's clear his family loved him very much, just as our family loved Javier. That's like a really beautiful sentiment.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is. Yeah, I've been.
Speaker 1: Musing about what can make a twenty three year old man who was full of potential go on a robbery and murder spree, But this email is long enough. The whole ordeal was traumatizing for my family, and my theory is that it created a generational anxiety that fuels our interest in true crime. Or maybe it's just a horrible story that I feel the need to wrap up nicely. Either way, stay sexy and don't carjack people.
Speaker 4: Jay she her Wow. Jay a classic hometown.
Speaker 3: And also just so personal and kind of beautiful. Yeah, like, because yeah, why would a twenty three year old be not just robbing people robbing and murdering?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this like email makes it clear that Jay has a really big heart. You know what, I mean like, I totally got that just from the story being told.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, thank you for sending that in. Okay, we're gonna take a little left turn, please and go do subject line cul ti Christian Camp. Okay, and then it just says, Sup, you all have been the voices I fall asleep to for years now, So thank you for your sweet, murderous bedtime tales. They've definitely helped me avoid the shame Merry Go Round. I typically ride as I'm falling asleep, so thank you.
Speaker 4: I am very familiar with that ride.
Speaker 2: I've been on it a time or two.
Speaker 4: Myself honored to be part of the soundtrack.
Speaker 3: I mean, actually that kind of just made me think where it's like, yeah, if it's a shame Merry Go Round, how do you like avoid it?
Speaker 2: It's like you have to do a step.
Speaker 3: Up of like engaging different feelings, stronger feelings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes something louder. Yeah, and we're fucking plenty loud.
Speaker 3: I was re listening to Minnieso two seventy eight the other night, and it sparked a memory of summer Camp for me that I had to tell you guys. In the late nineties, I went to a Christian summer camp with my best friend for some godfirst saken reason, and it was as close to being inducted into a cult as I have ever come picture it. Summer in the Rocky Mountains, clean cut Christian teenager camp counselors, horseback riding, mess halls, and coming home with hand foot mouth disease. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, I was about to say I went to a camp like that, but.
Speaker 4: It was doish.
Speaker 2: No, we did not didn't get that.
Speaker 3: All the camp staples, it says, except throw some very weird Christian spice in there. We attended sunrise sermons, lunchtime Bible studies, and midnight campfire sermons. One of the stranger games quote unquote they had us play was to go out into the forest after darkened pairs of two and find counselors scattered around acting like they were non believers, and we had to do our best to convert them or convince them to give Christianity a try.
Speaker 4: Oh my God.
Speaker 2: Like a culti scavenger hunt.
Speaker 3: The whole week culminated into a sunset sermon overlooking the mountains given by the owner of the camp, singing worship songs and everyone becoming very emotional. At one point, he told all the campers to close their eyes and raise their hands if they felt like they accepted Jesus into their heart this week. I was absolutely nosy and peaked and saw my best friend raise her hand, and because I'm a girl's girl and definitely did not want to be left out, I raised my hand too.
Speaker 4: That's the right answer.
Speaker 3: The speaker then asked us to lower our hands and open our eyes and asked who would be brave enough to come stand up front if we had raised our hand. Well, Mama didn't raise no pussy. So I got up. I mean, so I got up and went to the front with some reluctant others, expecting my best friend to come up too.
Speaker 2: She did not.
Speaker 3: So there I was standing up while the crowd cheered, and my best friend got teary eyed, saying how glad she was that I finally accepted Jesus.
Speaker 2: What the fuck, Chelsea?
Speaker 3: Oh no. The speaker then asked us to write our name in the Book of Life.
Speaker 2: Whatever the fuck that was. That's a Jewish thing, is it.
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: They's kind of blended a little.
Speaker 4: Now, they still wn a lot of Shitah, go ahead, Okay.
Speaker 2: Really sorry on behalf of me and Chelsea. Sorry, that's really funny. What if they were like.
Speaker 3: Ex Jewish now they were born again Christian? But this actually was kind of effective this one. Yeah, well, I winkled my way out of that step and decided I didn't think summer camp was for me anymore. So that's really that's right where she stops. Anyway, thank you for all you do. You've been my most reliable best friends through years of postpartum depression, regular depression, and finding a wonderful therapist to help unpack all that shit, partly due to listening to you guys talk about the ways you have benefited from therapy. You're both wonderful, stay sexy, and definitely stay out of the forest at a Christian summer camp. Kate, she her, Oh, that's really funny. She winkled her way out of that one. Goal.
Speaker 1: The last one's called the Anne Frank Sandwich Story. Hello, I love you all, let's fucking go. For the past ten years, I have been the proud stepmom to Ella twenty and Sam twenty three, and I myself have a pretty rad step mom. This story took place when Ella was around seven. My husband and I had been struggling to get Ella to eat the lunches we packed her for school. The excuses were rampant, ran out of time, didn't have a fork, an alien invaded the lunch room, etc. It was a temporarily frustrating time in our lives, to be sure, and many grapes were sacrificed. One day after school, Ella was telling me about her day and what she learned. As she did so, her excitement grew.
Speaker 2: She wrote a book.
Speaker 1: She's famous, as if the subject were a pop culture celebrity. As I listened, it did not seem as if said historical figure's whole story had been told, and I started to wonder what the fuck to say to help her understand the horror and atrocity, and Frank endured without crushing my sweet child's innocence. I asked her a few follow ups as she unpacked her things, and we delicately made our way around the topic until it seemed she started to grasp the tiny bits of reality being sprinkled in, and her fangirl tone became a little more balanced.
Speaker 4: How do you she.
Speaker 2: Wrote a book?
Speaker 3: She was she was fed well, Also, it is exciting that you're that age, and you would get a book published like It's yeah, I'm sure she could.
Speaker 2: I do that totally.
Speaker 1: Deciding not to totally ruin her afternoon, I suggested she go outside and play. As I unpacked her lunchbox, I was once again greeted by uneaten sandwich. Taking a breath, I went out back and simply asked why she hadn't eaten that day. The usual response ensued, but this time it broke me an exasperation one skipping the reminder about her health and being able to focus in class, not bothering to mention food waste for the million time, I simply held up the rejected sandwich and said, all caps, do you know who would have eaten this?
Speaker 4: And frank oh.
Speaker 1: Her little face crumbled, and thus one of my worst slash best parenting stories was born. She's in college now, and we both laugh whenever I humbly tell this story. I'm fortunate to have built great relationships with both kids, thus continuing to dismantle the wicked stepmother trope, but I do still hate wasting food. Winky emoji thanks for everything are oh wow, I bet it worked. I'm sure it worked.
Speaker 3: And also that was very yet and yet again another example of like your being very vulnerable with your own fuck up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to hear your fucked up stories because we've told you all of ours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seriously, you've seen every fuck up, You've heard every fuck up.
Speaker 2: We've done it, done it, We've done in it to you.
Speaker 1: It's your turn at my favorite murder at Gmail. If you want to watch this video, is that it?
Speaker 3: No? Oh, we got one last one and it's asshole.
Speaker 2: Older sister stories.
Speaker 3: Hi, ladies on Minnesota episode four oh six, you asked for older sister stories, and I'm here to deliver. My sister is five years younger than me and has always been very gullible. Here are a few of my favorite older sister moments. When she was about three or four, I told her that our mom did not carry or give birth to her. Instead, she found a giant egg in a Dollar General dumpster and hatched her from it. I told her that she could never tell our parents she knew this information because it was a huge family secret. She cried for days and believed as for years, but oh my god, but eventually told our parents that she knew where she came from. It's now a running joke in our family, and I still can't believe she thought this was true for so many years.
Speaker 2: She was a child.
Speaker 4: She was a child.
Speaker 3: You lied to her, and you're her older sister, a studio. You hold the reality of the world in your hands. I would also tell her that the ginger served with sushi was ham, and she would eat the weird ham every time we eat sushi. I also told her what Sabby was pistachioizing, and she ate the whole chunk of it at once when she was ten. You're mean, love you and everything you do. Stay sexy and keep lying to your younger sisters. Lindsey, No, that's trauma. That is just trauma. The first time I ate was Sabby, I was just looking at my friend, like what's going to happen?
Speaker 2: It scared the shit out of me.
Speaker 4: But like sinus clearing feeling, that's insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But like when you don't know, like I had no context of what it was. It's radish, so it's like, oh yeah, radish, it has that. But like when you just put in your mouth you don't know. I thought the back of my head was gonna like blow out. It was crazy, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, now please my Favorite Murder in Gmail. This is all on video that we're gonna put up in the fan calt if you want to watch.
Speaker 3: It, Oh yeah, you want to, like just intently stare at each other while we also read yeah, it's fun, do it. Come on, stay sexy and don't get murdered.
Speaker 1: Good by, Elvis. Do you want a cookie?
Speaker 2: This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: Our senior producer is Alejandra Keck.
Speaker 2: Our editor is Aristotle Oscevedo.
Speaker 1: This episode was mixed by Leona Squalacci, emailing her hometowns to My Favorite Murder at gmail dot com and follow a show on Instagram and Facebook at my Favorite Murder and on Twitter at my Fave Murder.
Speaker 2: Goodbye