Speaker 1: We're getting some good ambience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I think it's good.
Speaker 1: Man on bike. Well keep that it was child crying quick keep that in. Hello and welcome to Midnight Chats, a podcast of informal interviews with musicians we love, posted weekly at midnight to suit these very casual conversations. This week's episode is hosted by me Stuart Stubbs, the editor of Loud and Quiet magazine. Episode one hundred and nineteen of the podcast has got a bit of a different feel to previous ones. It was recorded earlier this year in June twenty twenty two in Barcelona. I was out there for Primavera Sound, as was my guest Ollie Judge, the drummer and singer of Bristol based band Squid. We were there at the festival. I've been there for a good week. We were out there covering it. We're a partner of that festival. We go every year. We have a lovely, lovely time and we tried to meet up with a couple of bands each time and interview them. We've done a couple of podcasts there before and then normally quite hastily put together Angel Olsen episode which was a long time ago. Now it's still out there. If you'd like to go and find it, just go back through the feed. That was recorded at Prima Berea, but it was in a very busy lobby, hotel lobby where all the bands stay, so the sound quality wasn't great for this one. I had an idea of Ollie and myself walking along the seafront, walking along, picking up the sounds of the sea and the ambiance of a lovely Barcelona. And then we got there and the weather was beautiful, but there was still too much wind down actually on the sea for us to do that and for it to be audible. So what we did was we sat on a park bench. As you're about to hear, there was a park near our hotels. Our hotels were very close to each other. We met outside the one I was staying in. We walked to the park and we recorded this. Has it worked as an experiment, I'll let you be the judge of that, I'd be interested to know, so feel free to dm us on Instagram at Loud and Quiet mag if you have an opinion on it. The idea was that you would get a sense of place and it wouldn't just be two voices in a very still room. We thought we'd make the most of being in such a lovely environment, so that was what we were going for. So it does sound a little bit different, but I very much enjoyed talking to Olie. I've met him a fair few times before. In fact, we featured Squid on the cover of Loud and Quiet last year when their debut album Bright green Field came out, and I photographed the cover feature, which is not something I do. I'm not a photographer, but there were lockdown restrictions. It's a long, boring story that I won't go into now, but in men I had to photograph cover myself. I think I did all right. I think I did okay. I didn't embarrass myself too much. There's a link below this episode to that cover interview. There's also a link to the mittens that I bemoan for a lot of this episode, the Loud and Quiet gloves that we've made and are selling like shit sandwiches, And there's maybe a few other links down there. I'll see what I can dig out. Ollie and I talk about NFTs, we talk about prima er itself, religion, warp records, and there is towards the end of the conversation a few kind of little hints that maybe what the new Squid album is going to sound like. Perhaps. Thank you for listening. If you enjoy it, please do tell a friend. That's the thing that we're really trying to get people to do at the moment. Tell a mate, go back, listen to some of our old ones. If this is your first time here, spread the word. We want as many people to listen to Midnight Chats as possible, obviously, and if you really do like it, then there is also a link below where you can support the show with the donation, but more importantly, just tell someone Okay, thanks very much. This is episode one hundred and nineteen. Myself, Ollie Judge from Squid sat on a park bench in Barcelona. So this is nice.
Speaker 2: It is very nice.
Speaker 1: Set the scene. Set the scene for us. Where we are right now.
Speaker 3: We are just in your garden, I think if you're your hotel room.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's huge, isn't it. Yeah, big park with a massive structure in the lake. Yeah, we're in a park that it's quite a It feels like the sort of park that might be in Blade Runner to me, really well, you know, like this over here feels like quite futuristic, but in an eighty very eighties waye. It looks like there's a disused sort of roller coaster.
Speaker 2: European Runner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, European plays Runner here. So I had an idea for this, which was that we were going to have a romantic walk along the beach while we record this podcast, Dane Low kind of style exactly. Instead we're sat next a very unhappy child. But it's so windy down there. We've come to this park. We have a premium erous sounds. You're playing today today, Caught to eight, drove in last yesterday? Yes, yeah, and this is your first time playing it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, second time playing in Spain. It's very nice, it's very relaxing.
Speaker 1: It's really hot. It's about twenty five is in the morning. It's about twenty fives already. How are you in the heat?
Speaker 2: I'm terrible in the heat. I usually burn. Yeah. I've asked you to bring some cream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, happy to, happy to for the talent. Got to keep the talent.
Speaker 2: I'm not very good in the heat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I go red, come monster, and you're so. Our hotels are just over there. What's what's your hotel.
Speaker 3: Like, well, we've got a rooftop pool which is pretty it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: That's pretty swanky.
Speaker 2: Goldie staying in there as well. Yeah, I saw him in the morning. Yeah, it's pretty good. Good breakfast as well. Yeah, fresh fruit, it's very nice.
Speaker 1: Did you take anything away from breakfast? I don't. They don't like it, I've found out. But have you really? Yeah, well, our hotels are sign do you not steal as a sign saying please eat the food here and leave, do not take it with you? Really, no one's paying attention to that sign. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's really handy when you're going for a drive the next day when you've got to drive to another gig because you just make a sandwich.
Speaker 2: In the morning, you have to get a lunch in the way. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this morning, it's just purely purely breakfast on site.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And your day. So your day, now, how does that look? Because you're playing around like between seven and eight, aren't you around a half seven ish?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I've got to be there at like five, So do this have a coffee, get back to the pool, yeah, might go for a swim beach.
Speaker 1: Do you tend to get nervous before a show, and if so, how many how many hours before the show do you start to think about it?
Speaker 3: I think, like pre Lockdown, I never used to get nervous, but nowadays I get quite nervous for gigs.
Speaker 2: Mainly like headline shows. I think. So it's like, you know that all.
Speaker 1: These people have bought tickets see you, so that that's what's made That's that's the difference since Lockdown?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is it because you're you're aware of the fact that Is it because you're aware of that everyone's had a miserable time and they're now there for a good time.
Speaker 3: No, it's more like you know, like people have come see you play, like they haven't. You're not like supporting anyone or like it's kind of all about squid and you just want to put on a good show.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, I think that's the nerve wrecking thing.
Speaker 3: We've got so much on stage now it kind of takes at least like two hours to set up. So when you get to a festival, you've got half an hour set up with gongs.
Speaker 1: How many gongs are we talking now?
Speaker 3: We've wheeled it down to one that used to be two. It was it was a hard bargain, but I think it.
Speaker 1: Had to be to leave a gong behind. Well, tonight, you're on a stage. You've not been to the site before, have You're not? You're on what most people consider the best stage. Oh great, Yeah, it's the stage that paved. We're in the second week right now, and last weekend Pavement played on the first night and they wanted to play the stage you're playing. They weren't allowed because it's a bit smaller. It's it's a bit smaller, but it's it's big. I don't want to add to your nerves, but it's absolutely massive and everyone's expectation is really high because it's the best one. So I will they will let you know if they don't know. It's it's kind of a bit like an amphitheater, so like there's these steps that seat slash steps that kind of wrap around it. Yeah, it's yeah, it's the one that it's the one.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I heard it.
Speaker 1: You've gone straight in at that one because I think people normally work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I heard it was in the ray band stage maybe before. Yeah, it's quite upsetting. So I just lost my three ray bands.
Speaker 2: Though against me.
Speaker 1: You used to get you did used to get three ray bands I think for playing it. But now well now it's sponsored by a car company.
Speaker 2: Great, So there's an NFT stage as well, it's there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think we saw a Black Country the other day and they said they played on the NFT stage.
Speaker 1: Oh hey, that explains what that stage is. It's called binance, I think. I think I keep calling it bit fake, but I think it's called finance. And there are certain stages or the stages are sponsored, and there's someone I'm like, I know what that company is, Like there's an Estrella stage, but there's someone I don't. I don't know. I don't actually know what that thing is.
Speaker 2: Something like kind of Nathan Barley.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's an I mean, where where do then a squid done an NFT.
Speaker 3: Not yet, Well we'll see how it pans up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where where do you stand on the n FT?
Speaker 3: I stand on the kind of I have no idea what they are, what it is, and yeah, I mean I'm only twenty seven, but it makes me feel ancient ancient.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with things like that, I do feel I should try to engage with it and know what it is. Yeah, so I don't turn into like an old grumpy man that thinks that the past was better than Yeah, but it's hard. I know, It's just it's hard to have the energy to do it.
Speaker 3: I kind of think back to like when things are invented, like say bluetooth like headsets. I used to see people walking around like talking to themselves and be like, oh god, it's that what the future is going to be. It's it's the kind of the same with NFTs. Kind of don't get it now, but like maybe in five years.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm surprised they've I'm surprised they are taking that that's still here. I thought it might be a month long, a few months, like, well this is nonsense. Yeah, but it's big money, isn't it? What you send on TikTok.
Speaker 2: I've got a downloaded on my phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I never go on it because I'm worried about getting dragged into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 3: I spend a lot of time on social media, and I think that would just be the tipping point I've gotten if I gotten TikTok.
Speaker 1: But what one do you waste the most amount of time on?
Speaker 3: Probably Instagram kind of leaning over into Twitter nowadays as Yeah, quite like that and is this the band account or your own account band account? Yeah, yeah, got a bit more purchase with the people actually.
Speaker 1: Respond yeah, yeah, well we've got on Twitter, We've only got I don't have a personal and we've got a magazine one and I shouldn't be surprised by this anymore, but I'm still surprised by how much people ignore or something. I don't ignore you guys, you don't, don't, but you know, there'd be times I think if we're operating on free likes from what I would consider a very good joke, my really good stuff.
Speaker 2: Trim delat, Yeah.
Speaker 1: The really the good ship, I'm getting three likes, and I'm having to be happy with that.
Speaker 2: Those three people, they're really.
Speaker 1: Liking it, they're really enjoying it. On the n f T front, as I feel like, because you're signed to WARP, I don't know why. I just this is a sweeping statement. I feel like that's a WARP thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know what you mean.
Speaker 3: I think Aphex Twin did one maybe a year or two ago. But yeah, I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: Very like techy.
Speaker 1: It's techy and your website has got I'm not going to say an n f T feel because I don't really know what FT is, but it's I agree, do you know what I mean? Like, if you if you're listening, you haven't been on the Squid's website, check it out.
Speaker 2: Out, go on the message boards. We never we're never on it.
Speaker 3: People on it when we when we release the album, there are people on it, and I try to try to keep engaged it, but it's pretty hard.
Speaker 1: How would you describe the site? How would you sell the site? Now?
Speaker 2: To some it's it's like an n FT.
Speaker 3: It's no, it's like we tried to create like a fictional kind of city. I don't know if you're into video games, but it looks a bit like Halo mm. And there's some nice music on there. There's some like secret passwords that you can put in there that take you to take you to the websites. It's the album that's really proud of it.
Speaker 1: It's well, it reminds me of the sort of website like websites used to be more fun than they are now. They're all just very yeah, and they're really as included. They're just quiet, sort about ease of use, which is good for a user, but it kind of has taken out any of the kind of thing of it and yours has got like something to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say nice.
Speaker 1: I mean the label for this stuff, I think, Yeah, they're just very good. And do they just how does that work? Do you have? Do you say that we've got this idea for a website and they say that's fine, well making that for you? Or do you say we're going to do this.
Speaker 2: We definitely need pushing. We're kind of.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's like just five people kind of showing over each other. No one has like the final say, and we're not very Yeah, we don't really know where to look for all that stuff, so what kind of just send us a list of stuff which is really nice?
Speaker 1: But yeah, we're really bad at all the artwork.
Speaker 3: And we've all got five different minds shouting over each other.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: I think if you're styling it out, who is the most in the band? Who is the most visually artie? Did any of you study art?
Speaker 3: No that three of three studied music, one did neuroscience, and I did I did one of those media studies.
Speaker 2: So what did you the best?
Speaker 1: Really? What did you did you? Is there any transferable skills from your media studies degree? I'm not going to be down on media studies. I know people, that's the thing, isn't it deeper? Always Ay, that's not a degree. I did film and drama and I studied media studies at a level. So I'm with you. I'm in your team. But did you is there anything that you that you use from that? This is that's what crap? No, it was because I used to interview What did you learn in your degree that you can bring to the position?
Speaker 3: Squid Well, I used to work at record labels, so it's actually really handy for that, and by extension, working at record labels is really handy for being in a band. So it's kind of like through through a few channels. It's been it's been pretty useful.
Speaker 1: If you go to Brighton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I went to Brighton and the rest went to Sussex because I applied. I applied to go to Brighton last minute. I didn't have the grades to get in there, but I just needed one more, one more choice. And I didn't realize that Brighton was in Sussex when I was like nineteen. She's quite worrying, but yeah, I turned up to Brighton and then I knew Louis already from from home. I turned up at a house party and Louis was there and I was like, I thought you were I think you're going to Union, like the Midlands or something. Sussex. This is Sussex.
Speaker 1: So that's that's good and I still wanted to be today. You were saying you drove from Switzerland. Yeah, you're currently doing a very casual tool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very casual.
Speaker 1: It's pretty it's just a holiday pretty much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because my my parents just sold up everything in the UK and moved to France. So fair place the new places in between here and where we were in Switzerland.
Speaker 1: So just how do were they moving out of? Was that your childhood home?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was also my dad's childhood home because you lived there for there for like fifty five years or something.
Speaker 1: That's huge, isn't it. How I was going to ask, how do you feel about it? But I'm actually just going to have your dad feel.
Speaker 2: I think a lot worse than me. I think.
Speaker 3: He says he keeps on having like recurring dreams that he goes into the house and then he notices that someone else lives there, and then he asked do they discoper? I think I'm pretty sure they're pretty happy in France.
Speaker 1: Do you how does it feel them feeling because you're you live in Bristol now yeah yeah, yeah, and obviously you're quite settled there into it, into Bristol life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely. Yeah, I think I'll be there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but how because my mum still lives in the hand that I oh yeah, Ivenue, Yeah, And I don't know how i'd feel if she suddenly Like it's quite a big thing, isn't it when you're family at home, if it's one, if you've had one, yeah, and then it is no longer there and your parents have moved to a completely different country.
Speaker 2: I know it is.
Speaker 1: Does it feel? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I felt kind of like a lot of people came up to me and like, oh, you know, you're right, how do you feel? And I was just kind of kind of fine, to be honest, like because I haven't really had any attachment to like Chippenham where I grew up in a while. I've lived in Brighton and London and Bristol, so I was kind of barely there. I didn't really like, I wasn't really there for like ten years, so kind of settled more in Bristol.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now you can go to France and free. So that how's your French?
Speaker 2: My face is dreadful, we see, Yeah, no it's dreadful.
Speaker 3: I think I had quite a I wouldn't say traumatic, but my French teacher at school really didn't like me.
Speaker 2: It was like a giddy t shoes as well shocking.
Speaker 3: What was can you remember the teacher's name, miss, miss Powell?
Speaker 1: Miss Powell? What had you done?
Speaker 3: I think my brother, who was a bit of a bit of a troublemaker, she taught him and just kind.
Speaker 1: Of instantly, right, that makes sense, she got the iron fist? Was was was there? What kind of school did you go to? Was it a nice school? Was it like a bit of a it was just a standard.
Speaker 2: School, just standard standard school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was your French class. We would call it the doss subject. I don't think people use the word us. Yeah I used dusting about it. But you think young people use that word now? I bet they? I bet they don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thinking about it, no, it probably was. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was like my school was quiet. I didn't necessarily realized it at the time. It was quite a rough school. Yeah, I could just state school, and we had we did Spanish, we didn't do French. But Jesus Christ, poor teachers, because it was just chaos in that lesson, And it's the one lesson that I wish i'd actually actually replied myself. Yeah. Yeah, that's my regret from school. I'm terrible with because I'd love to swing languages.
Speaker 3: Yeah, our class once we did there was a supply teacher and we did like every time she left the room and came back in, we'd all fall on the floor and pretend to be dead.
Speaker 1: Apart from one person refused it, what classes is in French?
Speaker 2: Subjects?
Speaker 1: The subject? Yeah, unsurprisingly it was the French. Okay, this is all adding up and you would be one on the floor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there was. Yeah, I think there was some. I don't know, they're probably they probably lived in France and they're probably fluent.
Speaker 1: That's quite a good, good prank. It's a good prank for teachers. I think if I was a teacher, which I never would be because I'm terrified of children bullying and having been to a school where that happens, like I couldn't do it. I have so much respect for teachers, But there are certain things like a story like that, I'd like to think.
Speaker 2: I would be able to you'd find it funny.
Speaker 1: Fair. I mean, did you do it every week?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 3: No, it was just one yeah, and then yeah, it never happened again. I think we all got told off quite severely.
Speaker 1: And how does that come about? Who the one kid? I've got this idea.
Speaker 2: Kind of like huddle around, kind of like eighteen.
Speaker 1: When Miss Para walks in, We're all going to just drop to the floor. There's one person when I'm not doing that.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing that.
Speaker 1: That's ridiculous, Like I'm here to learn.
Speaker 2: I'm around the rest of you.
Speaker 1: It's but you are genuinely a good student.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I only had I got I think I got two detentions over five years.
Speaker 2: That was that was pretty good.
Speaker 1: At your school? Did they tell you that if you get a detention it goes on your public.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you need forget it. Working in McDonald's, yeah.
Speaker 1: Those kind of It's funny how all schools have those.
Speaker 2: Urban myths.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got attention. I may as well drop out now there's nothing for me. I've had to stay behind for an hour. Life is over. So where are you in the cycle, as they call it in the industry. There you're touring the first record store. But the first record came out at such a weird time.
Speaker 3: It's kind of odd because it came out in May last year and we did a tour of really small venues in May. But that was just like when you could only go and sit down at a venue.
Speaker 1: So you played some of those shows where people will sat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like thirty people like every show. It was kind of like a double whammy because it was we hadn't played a show in like a year. I think the first one was in It was in Falmouth actually, which is really really nice. It was kind of we're all incredibly nervous because we hadn't played the show for a year and we were instead of playing stuff from the album, we were just doing all kind of new stuff that we'd kind of written in lockdowns, and there were like thirty people and you could see the whites of their eyes in front of all sitting down. I went to one of those shows, the London one was actually it.
Speaker 1: Wasn't yours, No. I set myself up for that. It was a working mental club. It was sort of no offense to working Men's Club. It was good, but it was it was really early on. It was before is that like Oslo? Yeah? Yeah, and it was Alm was allowed to even sing. There was no singing.
Speaker 2: I think. I think some venues were pretty hot on that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you played at church and Totness and they were they were really hot on that. I was in that church you went to Tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, has an incredible venue.
Speaker 2: It's really great.
Speaker 1: I saw Caroline playing there at that festival.
Speaker 2: That was amazing.
Speaker 1: It was really good. Yeah, and Gueno played in there.
Speaker 3: It's funny playing in churches. Music's in no way like Satanic or anything, but just a rock band in a church.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems a little bit. It seems a bit weird. Did you Did you grow up religious in any way?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Are you religious anymore? No?
Speaker 3: No, I'm I'm I'm not really, I'm not at all even not really. Yeah, yeah, I don't really, I didn't. I didn't even know anyone that's kind of religious. I'm not friends with anyone that's.
Speaker 1: I'm not religious at all, but I really respect it, and I I wouldn't so I envy it. But I actually mean more, I mean more religious people, more people who are practicing religions now doing like meeting bands and artists than I ever have really, Yeah, you know, openly talk about that faith in a really kind of cool way, Whereas where I grew up, we were all a bunch of like who were just like it's just you know, it's not cool to like that, just be down on that sort of thing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think there's still definitely yeah, that kind of feeling. I don't know, maybe yeah, maybe you just grow out of it kind of Yeah, I know you mean about kind of like almost envying, envying it. It'd be nice having something, Yeah, I don't know. It's some faith in something.
Speaker 1: Something to fall back yeah, yeah, something to fall back on a bit, have it in your back pop. But it doesn't really work that way, does it. You have to fully believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's a really good podcast called Sounds Like a Cult.
Speaker 2: Oh that sounds great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not it's not about actual cult. It's about things that are quite culty. So, like there's one on Elon Musk and it's about like the fans of following Yeah, you can't do anything wrong. There's one on like Peloton, I think.
Speaker 3: Or like that Peloton is really culty it's kind of like it's exactly like that episode of It's such a cliche to say now it sounds like Black Mirror. That episode of Black Mirror where kind of like an X Factor kind of spoof. But those adverts where people are just kind of like they've got like big screens in front of them and they're like, I don't know, doing some like mad cycling competition in like they're doing like the Tour de France something, and they're just kind of like staring at the wall.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, and there's and there's an instruct to say, you've got this great work.
Speaker 2: We're going up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's a scam, isn't it. It's Pyramid, absolutely a scam. But they've just had a very good pandemic. Yeah, you know, there were certain things. This is a conversation that everyone has and probably doesn't need to be recorded on to podcast, but I'm going to say anyway, certain thing like QR codes had very strong pandemics.
Speaker 2: See the inventor of the QR codes, because.
Speaker 1: It was down and out, wasn't it. When was the last time you'd used a QR? I didn't even know if I even had I didn't even know, you could just use your camera to no no, yeah, yeah, I had an app. Yeah, Peloton, all the delivery companies, all of the supermarkets, yea, all of those things just had.
Speaker 2: There were a lot of things that skyrocketed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Peloton's one where that surely would not have taken off without people being locked inside their houses.
Speaker 3: It's funny that speaking about Peloton. Before the pandemic, I was terrified of cycling. But when you could like go out and do some exercise and there was no one on the roads, me and my partner just got on bikes and.
Speaker 2: Now I love it.
Speaker 1: This is in Bristol.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a really nice city to cycle. So what was it had you cycled as a kid?
Speaker 2: I had.
Speaker 3: But my partner's really really really in cycling, and her family are really in cycling.
Speaker 2: They've been doing it kind of all their life.
Speaker 3: And it was only when I started cycling with her that I realized how petrified my parents.
Speaker 2: Were of cycling.
Speaker 3: They passed. Yeah I remember me and yeah, we were Me and my partner were around my parents' house and we were going to cycle from Chipping into Bristol like three hours. My mom and dad for like, yeah, just make sure cycle on the pavement is safer. And then and then that was like, it's way more dangerous.
Speaker 1: It would take forever as well, wouldn't it really would Yeah, because you'd have to be you'd be constantly stopping for people. And then there's bits where there's driveways. You can't just speed over a driveway cavement. Yeah, I mean that would take. Yeah, that's they've so they've passed on that that.
Speaker 3: I think, so to you, it would be it'll be interesting to hear what they think about that after they listened to this podcast.
Speaker 1: So now you cycle? So now do you cycle? Did you have you got? How into it?
Speaker 2: Have you got?
Speaker 1: You got the likes?
Speaker 2: I haven't got the like crayer.
Speaker 3: I have thought about maybe doing some like squid squid licra, but A, I think it would be really really expensive, yeah, and B it's I don't know, maybe it's.
Speaker 2: Not the best look.
Speaker 1: I think that the jersey would be good. I guess it depends on maybe not sure. Yeah, I think the shorts too much to stop stop with the shorts, but maybe this would be actually really expensing, I think, But a squid helmet that would be good because everyone you have to wear a helmet, whereas not everyone Oxford that like craft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah that would be good. I'm very I always wear my helmet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 3: And I make other people wear their helmets. So if there was a squid helmet, that was really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I make people wear it. Well.
Speaker 1: I had a very close call on my bike and I wasn't wearing a helmet.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think I listened to the you and Jason Williamson. Is it when you Oh yeah, I think I might. Was it when you broke, like break your back up?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I broke a Vertebrae's fine, but I I had Yeah, that was just just after because I was I think when I met him, I was wearing this looked like a bulletproof. I looked like there was like this, it's horrible. It looked like it looked quite cool. Actually, yeah, I actually had a meat. I went and met the team at Warp whilst.
Speaker 2: I had that on.
Speaker 1: And when I'm watching.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 1: Your top, I'm like, it's a back brace. I've broken my back.
Speaker 2: This is not a fashion Chorge techno brace.
Speaker 1: Oh right, okay, but can I get one? But where can I get one? But I was wearing that when we recorded that podcast, and yeah, I wasn't wearing a helmet. I wouldn't often wear a helmet back then, and I landed on the road. The back of my head smacked onto the road and I had to go. I was rushed hospital and they didn't know about the backup, and they were mostly concerned about my head, but I was. I was in a lot of pain. But I was also so embarrassed that whenever I was talking to a doctor and they asked me, first thing was like, where you're in a helmet? And I had to say no every time. Yeah, And I just felt so stupid that since that day, I've I wear it every every single time. I don't actually preach it to others not wearing the helmet because I was that person and I don't want to be that. But yeah, and I'm like, but I'm I'm kind of glad I had that moment because now I still you know, it did not my comments in cycling, but it did make me think I have to always wear a helmet is just mental.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I kind of always wear a helmet and make people feel guilty about it.
Speaker 1: Where's your helmet? What's your best merch that you've that you've delivered if you don't.
Speaker 2: Really ship merch, Yeah, we are.
Speaker 1: We made some mittens recently, which I should say now are still available, the footy ones, the the shirt's doing really well shirts doing great. That's available for another By the time this goes out there, it won't be avail of anymore. But we might do another one later in the year. But the we made some fleece mittens Loud and Quiet, police Smitten. They are still up make don't buy them, I'll send yourself. They are blocking the light out of our office. We have got so many of them. I thought they were like a really kind of fun novelty but useful. I mean, I like, so that's I've misjudged literally everybody else in the world.
Speaker 3: But it's like classic things like when you when you buy someone the present that you think they'll love, but yeah, it's actually something something for you. Yeah, we want to make ping pong bats and yeah, but we just think we just love ping pong.
Speaker 2: No one else as much as this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe really.
Speaker 2: Hard to make as well. Do you have a.
Speaker 1: Without divulging too much trade secrets, do you have like because you've got a really dedicated fan base who love you. There's probably amount that by a ping pong bout. Yeah, like they just like they want the thing. Yeah, so you could maybe do a run. It's about working out that number, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's not like they're not going to convert any kind of people who don't listen to a band.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's not going to happen unless you do some sort of collab. Yeah, have you done any of those? No?
Speaker 3: I think I think that'd be good. Though, you're just terrible emerch. We're just like stories very last minute.
Speaker 2: We sold them.
Speaker 3: We headlined dot to dot last weekend when we played in Nottingham. We sold two T shirts.
Speaker 2: Right, We hired someone to do merch for us in the costume.
Speaker 1: Do you take that rejection badly or are you okay with just saying, hey, we tried this thing. It didn't really work. It's not a big deal. 's move on to next thing.
Speaker 2: It depends what it is, if it's if, if it's merched, and I find it kind of funny. We sold two T shirts.
Speaker 3: Headliner T shirts, but yeah, t shirts. I'm fine with that rejection. The music itself, the music itself, I guess is a different thing. I think it's so easy to say that we're just doing this for us, but you know, if you want other people to enjoy it.
Speaker 2: I think I used to be quite good.
Speaker 1: I'm getting worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm definitely getting worse as well.
Speaker 1: Why does any want these mittens that's so warm? So warm? Come in to colors. I'm going to stop talking now, but one last thing I will say about them. We even when you subscribe, like for people that subscribe to the magazine, there's even an option now for you to opt in to get free mittens, and people are not opting in for the free it's exactly the same price. It's this one. You get all of these things. And it's when you get all these things and you get some free mittens, and people are opting in for the one without them. Why damning, isn't it? That is damning. I mean, we're definitely out of the state of the world. We're out of the season, that's for sure, and people are probably just thinking, I don't well, I really I really want. I'm going to I'm going to send the band some mittens all of you. So with the ping pong, do you do you have a Ping Pong table in the not necessarily on tour, but do you put it on your rider?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think we're there yet, but I think next to.
Speaker 3: Next, next time. I don't know, see how they see how the next album goes. Yeah, that'd be great.
Speaker 1: Do you have unusual rider requests or is it?
Speaker 2: No, it's all pretty standard.
Speaker 1: Everyone has some characters. Don't really know.
Speaker 2: It's the industry standard.
Speaker 1: I think is that there was something that when you're dreaming of being in a band, you think, I can't wait for.
Speaker 2: Some warm, warm.
Speaker 1: Phizy because I think I think the hummus thing is a fairly recent developing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so as well.
Speaker 1: Surely in the nineties it was Stellars. Yeah, bags, yeah, I should do that. Drugs and there wouldn't be any hummus on there, I don't think. Or no vegetables, no vegetables, a big bowl of fruit.
Speaker 3: We did ask that there was a period where Arthur got really he got really obsessed with the Gray Goose and you know perdies, the kind of like middle class energy change. Yeah, yeah, you got obsessed with that, and we had that on our rider. But then we just realized, like a bottle of gray Goose every single night. Yekind of it's getting to waste? Would yeah, would you get through that?
Speaker 2: No, we're very tame now. We like we just asked for alcohol free beers.
Speaker 1: Is that because do you do you try to stay up to be before the show?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I find that for me.
Speaker 3: For me personally, it makes me really nervous to be drunk when I'm on stage because it's from a bit pieste. And then I make one mistake and I'll keep on thinking about that mistake, and then I make another mistake.
Speaker 2: You know, I just kind of spiral. That's not fake?
Speaker 1: Does that come from a show? Have you played a show that's been like that's it? We can't I can't be drinking.
Speaker 2: No, not really.
Speaker 3: It's just kind of I think we're all pretty I think we're all pretty hard on ourselves with kind of like just making the mistakes.
Speaker 2: That obviously no one not.
Speaker 1: Do you notice when someone else on the stage makes a mistake even though you wouldn't tell them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's also quite fun. You can if someone makes a mistake, you can kind of style it out with another mistake, like it was kind of planned. Almost happens sometimes, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, no. If you don't tell each other about the mistakes, you get.
Speaker 1: Back off the show and say you were sure you played that E instead of the F that was so embarrassing. Everyone was laughing. I think you should probably leave the band. When was it that you did the tour that was working progress stuff? That was the the sit down down?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did any songs come from that that are going to be on the on the new record?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think I think pretty much all of them actually, yeah. Nice. Yeah, so there will be people who when that album comes out, will be like the forms of these Yeah, I hope. So that's quite cool. Can they put this one on? Don't hold out much hope for the rest of the album because he is the lead single, No thanks. I feel like we should walkch we yeah, let's do it before let's do the same no thing. We can start heading back. This is quite intimate now because we're kind of tethered.
Speaker 2: It's very like, well, you.
Speaker 1: Know, we've got these little Yeah, we've got these umbilical chords going from a clip on mics to the recorder. So don't run off whatever you're doing. Is there anything you can say about the second record or you know, when is this?
Speaker 2: When? When is this going up? Probably?
Speaker 1: I mean not quite soon. I'd say next like four weeks it's finished.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty much no. Yeah, yeah, it's quite nerve wracking. Second album?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 1: Are you feeling that you're feeling? Is it you're feeling the pressure of the first one?
Speaker 3: Yea, A little bit like, yeah, everything went so well with the first one. But yeah, I just worried about how people receive it. But I'm sure it would be fine.
Speaker 1: I think it's quite nice to hear say that, because I don't think you're meant to You're meant to say the best, best thing, the best thing, and you know, we don't really care anyway. We're pleased with it and we don't really care. I mean, the first one did the child at fourth?
Speaker 2: I know it's mad. Did you believe it?
Speaker 1: Did you all go out and get smashed?
Speaker 2: We didn't when it charted, but when it came out we had a massive party. Yeah, I don't know. Maybe slightly bending the rules in may.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's very I imagine it's very different like being in a band at this point, not just the second album thing, but the journey of Squid as I'd see it would be like you were playing so much before you sign your deal, like, yeah, there was this real momentum and like every show you're playing so much, and all those shows were like really full and like it was like incredible. And then you've got you had all these labels onting to sign you and all these people coming down, and you signed your deal with Warp and then at that point, I guess you were the hyped band, you know, the band everyone was like, it's quite squad. And then your album comes out and now you're in this like second phase of people are waiting to see what you what you do next.
Speaker 3: I guess yeah, I guess we've shut ourselves in the foot a little bit in the.
Speaker 2: I think people don't really know what to expect with us, and that's kinde a good thing. Yeah, but then yeah, we'd never really have a plan of what kind of music we're going to make, so yeah, it could be rubbish.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, kind of that thing of everyone's expecting the unexpected, then the unexpected might be.
Speaker 4: It is it?
Speaker 2: But that's that's just my own anxieties. I think, yeah, proud of it, they're pretty proud of it.
Speaker 1: Is about this, let's be positive, it be great. Are you going to be playing anything new new off it, like shows or or not yet?
Speaker 2: Not really.
Speaker 3: There's a few tracks we've been playing for a while, but but a lot of them it's all quite like Proggy and I can't actually sing.
Speaker 2: And play the jump out at the same time, So right.
Speaker 3: I think we just need to lock ourselves in a room for like a week and learn how to play all these new songs. Right, It would be really nice because I think if we if we ended up playing all of it now, we.
Speaker 2: Just get sick of it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, I think like I actually think the first album is like for an Hour, but that kind of experimental and unexpected to go in at number four is huge. Yet it's kind of a pretty crazy year for people.
Speaker 2: Charge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you feel that people were surprised by that album having heard the singles beforehand?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so, Like a lot of a lot of my friends were like, oh, it wasn't actually like expecting it to be that weird.
Speaker 2: I thought it just like twelve. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought that was kind of like one.
Speaker 3: Of the biggest compliments, and I think people of people have been giving us being it's actually really weird.
Speaker 1: We liked how weird it was. Exactly what shall we head back? Yeah, you've got you've got a show to play. It's pretty past and what will your pre show routine be? Now? Go and hang out with Goldie?
Speaker 2: Really really wanted to have a photo with him this morning, but he's on the phone.
Speaker 1: What would your opening sound boat of Goldie would have been if he wasn't on the phone. Would you have spoken to I wanted to?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't have it. I went out for a cigarette and I didn't have a lighter and I saw that he had a lighter, So that.
Speaker 1: Was a good that's good.
Speaker 2: It was a good.
Speaker 4: Oh you Goldie, I didn't recognize you confirmed that you were Golden. Would you have said, excuse me?
Speaker 1: Can I come on your lighter? And then he says, yeah, and you're Goldie? Sorry mate, you look just like Goldie.
Speaker 2: I love John.
Speaker 1: Generally speaking, though, when you see an artist that do you approach people when it's someone that you admire and say hi, or get a selfie or whatever, or do you shy away from it?
Speaker 3: It depends if I've had a drink or not. There was actually when I used to work at Domine and and I did a went along to a Stephen Maltmas and the Jicks radio session, and I'm a pretty big.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I went up to Stephen Matmos and I said, Hili, I'm Stephen, which is really really a pursing anything.
Speaker 2: I'd talk to any of my heares.
Speaker 1: For previous episodes of Midnight Chat, simply search your podcast app and don't forget to follow or subscribe in order to receive new episodes as that published every week at midnight. For more information on the music magazine that makes this series, visit Loud and Quiet dot com. Anyway, good night