Speaker 1: It has to be a critical part of this success. You're absolutely right that, when right, this is arguably the best bullpen in baseball.
Speaker 2: Kyle Glazer, big information here. We're talking about laser and we're talking about shaving. So there you have it. Welcome, my friend. What a segue, right, Kyle Glazer. You can check them on Twitter, on x on. Kyle A. Glazer does a tremendous job covering all of baseball. But he's also one of the co hosts of Friar Territory. Check out their new episode that just dropped yesterday. They discussed a lot of things. Let's talk about the comeback kids for a second. The Padre is right there. Of course, in the division, they've had four comeback wins in their last five games, kind of the cardiac kids. What do you make of it?
Speaker 1: The Potters have shown the ability to come back throughout this year. You mentioned four comeback wins in a five game stretch. They have fourteen come from behind wins this year already.
Speaker 3: When the Potters are right.
Speaker 1: Their formula is simple. The starting pitching and the bullpen hold the fort down, make sure the deficit never gets too large, and the offense over the course of the game, just consistently puts that pressure on defense, is consistently puts balls in play, steals bases, goes first to third, makes aggressive reads in the dirt, and normally, over the course of time, the defense will falter, the pressure will get to them, and the Padres kick the door down and bust through. Now that's what's been their formula for success when they're right. They've also had some stretches recently where they haven't been right, where they've gotten more passive. They've been waiting for something to happen as opposed to making something happen, and more often than not, when that's been the case, they're only scoring one running games zero runs a game. We saw them get shut out back to back games by the Blue Jays. So they're starting to get back to their best selves recently with these most recent series wins against the Marlins and the Braves, and now they've got to keep it up. They have a big, big stretch coming up here with twenty six games in twenty seven days, including fourteen games against the Giants, Dodgers, and Diamondbacks, and what we know is a very very very competitive lay race.
Speaker 3: Is there a reason for the passiveness. Is there a reason for like, hey, if they're playing all these games, Hey, I want to save my legs, it might be the time to bet against the bet against the Padres. Because has there been like any correlation, Because the beginning of the year, it was like Fernando Tatists was running like his cleats were on fire, and then all of a sudden it was like I'm good, Like I'm totally chill.
Speaker 1: We definitely saw a little bit. So in Tatisa's case, he tweaked his shoulder stealing a base against the Sacramento A's and after that he has really really slowed down. He has not been stealing bases like he was before. We know Fernando Tatists Junior has had a tough time staying healthy over the course of his career. The only full season he has played in his career was the COVID shortened twenty twenty season, mostly due to injuries and of course his one PD suspension. So he has slowed it down a lot. The Potters in a lot of ways, they just kind of got away from it. We started seeing that passivity from other guys too. Some of it was injury related. Again, Jackson Merrill getting hurt, Luisa Riots getting hurt, Jay Cronworth getting hurt. They really didn't want to risk anything. Now those guys are all back. It took them a little while to get back to that aggressive style of baseball they were playing again. We saw it in spurts, but not consistently. It's really since the start of their last series against the Braves that they've started doing the same things they were doing earlier in the year, and we're seeing success because of it. They've won their last two series, which again doesn't seem like a whole lot, but given how much they were struggling prior to that, it's a win.
Speaker 4: Kyle, what about the bullpen? I mean the bullpen? Is it coming back into form when they struggle? The bullpen was struggling also from the back end all the way Jason Adam and some of the other guys are really having some rough goes. But now they've kind of got it back together. Is that what has to lead this Padres team pitching wise?
Speaker 1: It has to be a critical part of their success. You're absolutely right that. When right, this is arguably the best bullpen in baseball. The Padreys relinquished to lead just one in their first thirty four games, and then they hit a wall. They blew leads in four of their next seven games, and since then it's been a little uneven. You mentioned it looked like they were getting back to form. We saw that was the case Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. This bullpen through twelve and a third consecutive scoreless innings, all close games where the Patters needed the bullpen to throw up those zeros in order to win. And then yesterday against the Marlins, the bullpen completely imploded. The Patterys had leads of six to one and eight seven that they were not able to hold. Jason Adam had a rough outing yesterday, Wandy Peralta gave up the go ahead hit. So we've seen this bullpen be better recently and look a little more like what they were early in the season. But again it's a little bit two steps forward, one step back, as we saw yesterday in the afternoon matinee against the Marlins.
Speaker 3: Okay, is this a direct correlation to the fact that they have Randy Vasquez making starts, Michael King might be on the shelf, and Dylan Cees and Nick Pavetta, essentially your two starters that are supposed to hold this team down. Needing innings is going to wear out your bullpen.
Speaker 1: Very very much so right now, Michael King is on the injured list with shoulder inflammation. You Darvish was supposed to be back by now. He made a rehab start two weeks ago, reported feeling some elbow tightness and elbow sortiness. After that rehab start, came back to San Diego, played catch on Monday, but still has no timetable to return. And look, Randy Vasquez has done an admirable job. He's been pitching into the sixth fairly consistently. But at the end of the day, there's no question the Pottery has really really rode their core four of Jeremiah Strada, Audre and Morihane, Robert Swarez and Jason Adam Hard. At one point they were all on pace for eighty appearances this season. They stepped it back a little bit have been giving more opportunities to some other guys Alec Jacob Yuki, matsuiy Wandi Peralta, but those guys just aren't as effective, So the Potters are still trying to find the right mix of bridge guys. So they don't wear down their big four relievers. Brian Hoeing should come off the al soon. We saw Sean Reynolds pitch well the other day. So they're still trying to find those other guys because Wandy Peralta keeps blowing leads and Alec Jacob gave up fifteen runs and eight in the third innings. Had to send him down. So that's a very very big concern and something the Potters are aware of. They just haven't been able to find the solution for it yet.
Speaker 2: Luis sur Rise, Kyle game tying and go ahead RBI singles to lift the Potters over his former club, the Marlins. He's killing the Marlins. I don't know. They should have probably never traded him. I mean he's batten three sixty four against them since they traded him to the Friars. I mean he's been as good as advertiser. Obviously, he has batting titles in both of the leagues. Not a massive home run hitter, but man he gets on base. Where do you think the Patres would be without him?
Speaker 4: This year a.
Speaker 1: Much much mussworts team, and I would say the same thing for last year. He has been a critical component of this Potterys lineup since arriving in San Diego. Just that ability to consistently put the ball in play, spray singles all over the field. He frustrates opposing pitchers, and he also makes sure that Fernando tatties Junie He's better pitches in front of him. When a Luisa Rise is in this lineup, it completely changes the dynamic we saw after that scary collision in Houston when he got hurt. The Potteris didn't really have a great hitter in the number two spot and their entire offense suffered because of it. Machado and Tatis started something a little bit. When Luis a Rise is in this lineup, it completely transforms how pitchers have to game plan, how pitchers have to approach this team in a lot of ways. Luis a Riaz, that trade has been the heist of the last year when you consider the Potter's got him for No. Top one hundred prospects and got the Marlins to pay his entire salary last year and take on Wusuck Goh's salary, and Wusuck go was quickly defaded. This really was a master stroke by aj Preller and Luis A Riaz keeps reminding the Marlins every time he plays them that they really did not fully appreciate him. I should say, at least the new front office led by Peter Bendix did not fully appreciate his skill set.
Speaker 5: Ft FAM, you might have a boring, old, krusty, unpretty razor and it might be expensive, so aj should they consider another option?
Speaker 4: Look how cool this is? Look at the color scheme, Look at it little sheath, what hide the blades when you travel? Works great? I mean using this for a couple of weeks now on Harry's Clean, no bumps, no cuts, works great. And you know the best part, it's a great price, especially if you use the foul territory code Scott.
Speaker 5: That's right, Harry's dot com slash foul.
Speaker 3: Guess what.
Speaker 5: You can also get yourself a no risk trial, So if you don't like your shave, no worries. It's on Harry's. They're not worried about it. Get the edge on your shave with Harry's. Normally the trial set is ten dollars, but right now you can get it for just six dollars at Harry's dot com slash foul. Use the exclusive link Harry's dot Com slash foul for a six dollars trial set.
Speaker 4: By the way, they don't appreciate anything, So I mean saying that that's funny, Kyle, but like they really didn't appreciate much. I mean except for getting rid of everybody and starting over and trying to reinvent the wheel. But other than that, are you worried about their schedule coming up? Though? Are you worried about the Padres schedule coming because it gets it's starting. It's about to get real for about the next twenty five games or so. It's a real schedule.
Speaker 3: No question.
Speaker 1: Twenty six games in twenty seven days, as I mentioned, fourteen games against the Giants, Dodgers, and Diamondbacks. They have not played the Dodgers yet this season, so that'll be a fun, fun, fun matchup against them. But there's no question they're going into that stretch down, Michael King down, you darvish with the bullpen. Maybe a little shakier, more inconsistent than you would like it to be. But what we have seen from this Padres team historically and to a degree this year, this is a team that tends to play up to their level of competition and sometimes they play down for the level of competition, so especially if against the Dodgers, they always seem to get up for that series. They swept the Giants when they face them earlier this year in a two game set at Peco Park, So we'll see which version of the Padres show up. But look, we know this team when they're right, when healthy, they can play with anyone, and they love, love, love these primetime big game matchups. They get up for them. So I think they'll certainly be competitive, but there's no question they're not going into it at full strength. They really really could use Michael King and new Darvish coming back sooner rather than later.
Speaker 2: Kyle, before we let you go. Aj Priller is not afraid of making moves. He and I think Mary to Poto have like a wild wild West thing where they meet each other to see who can do the most. What are the biggest needs if the trade deadline was tomorrow, what are the biggest needs that you see for the Friars left field?
Speaker 1: The Potters right now have gotten some of the worst production from left field in all of Major League Baseball. They signed Jason Hayward and Connor Joe with the idea that they would be platooning. They've already traded Connor Joe. Jason Hayward really struggled, was recently placed on the il. Gavin Sheets, who has been one of the surprises of the season, has eleven home runs, a lot of them in big, big, big spots. He has moved out to left field from DH and that's made things a little bit better offensively. Defensive, he's a little shakey out there, So the Potterys would really really like to shore up left field. And look, they could use another starter as much as when everyone is healthy you can go Darvish King sees Paveta, you feel really good about that front four you. Darvis has struggled to stay healthy and again this most recent setback is a little bit of a concern. He has no time table to return. When you talk about Michael King and starting pitchers with shoulder injuries, shoulders, we are always a little bit scaries. So they would certainly like to fortify the rotation a little bit. But left field is their number one need and they would certainly do well to shore that up sooner rather than later.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, Royals are picking things up. The Kansas City Rails confirmed on Wednesday that an affiliate purchased the mortgage on the Aspiria Campus in over a Land Park. So not picking up packing up, I meant to say, do you legitimately think that the Kansas City Royals will be leaving Kaufman Stadium AJ Piersinski a place that you've played a lot at, obviously being in that division. Are they moving Do you think?
Speaker 4: Not anytime soon? But they will eventually. They need to. They need to move. It's it's old. It's still great though. I still love going there. I still love the coffin. Problem is there's nothing around it right, There's absolutely nothing. There's one hotel in the middle of nowhere, and everyone stays in the city. So they want to move it in the city and do a thing like a battery, like a braves like all that. So I have no problem with this. They eventually everyone's gonna have to move. The Chiefs won a new stadium too, so I mean, listen, figure it out, Kansas City.
Speaker 2: The Chiefs are winning. Though the Chiefs have won multiple Super Bowls, the.
Speaker 4: Royals won not long ago. The Royals were in the playoffs last year. The Royals have Bobby Wood Junior, so I mean, listen, I don't know. I think I think if you can move it somewhere downtown by the power and light, by the plaza, there's some really nice areas in downtown Kansas.
Speaker 2: I just don't know if they could. I don't know if they could fit it down there. I mean, I don't know where Overland Park, Kansas is, but.
Speaker 4: It's over the order because Kansas not not Missouri.
Speaker 3: Park, and it is a more more of like a community, like obviously it's to me, it's it's what would be what I would consider a Midwest city, like not a lot of high rises. There's a lot of communities that were popping up ten years ago when I was there. We went back and visited in I think nineteen, we visited out there, like it's it's a cool area. It's bustling, but it's more like suburbs. But they have all the festivities of a city without the crampedness of downtown. The power and light is is awesome, but I don't think that's obviously I don't know, but lawmakers are really don't want them in certain areas. And one of the one of the mayors maybe was an ex player, was one of the guys from the original you know, original World Series Champion Royals and he vetoed the bill to go somewhere else. So there's a lot going on, as any stadium, you know, there's a lot going on, but you can't rebuild in the same area because there's just no residual income to make a small market team a large market team, like a team that you know has a battery or has all the stuff around it, and Overland Park would be sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Overland Park insider Eric Kratz reporting live, I have to ask you this though, Aj, it seems like the Royals ownership group perhaps is listening to the fans. It seems like fans would be pretty psyched if they got off of you know I seventy and move someplace where there is some services around. I mean, unlike some other ownership groups. Maybe they're actually paying attention.
Speaker 4: They are listen.
Speaker 3: This is this.
Speaker 4: Wasn't this one of the reasons why they signed Bobby Wood Junior. Isn't this one of the reasons why when they signed them, They're like, because they want a new stadium. Remember we all thought they had a stadium deal done when they when they did this, Remember there was all the drawings and all the renderings, which is more than we can say for some other teams that are supposed to be moving a lot sooner. So I want I want the Royals to move. I think the Royals fan base is one of the best, and when they win, man, even when they don't win, there's a lot of people at those games in Kansas City in the middle of summer when it's four hundred and seventy two degrees and I'm watching dudes, I play with shrink up because it's so dang hot, Like, I want this for the fans.
Speaker 2: Do you, guys know what the nickname for Kansas City.
Speaker 4: Is the city of hottest placed on Earth.
Speaker 2: Nope, Nope, it's the City of Fountains. There are more fountains in Kansas City than there are in any other part of the country.
Speaker 4: Just so you know, go to the plaza There's there's literally a fountain on every corner.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's it's the city. It's the city of fountains. So Kansas City might be moving parks. The Twins are still looking for a new ownership group. Apparently they're making progress, guys on the sale of the cub of the club. The pole adds, sticking to one point seven billion dollars.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Back in twenty fourteen, I think it was the Dodgers sold for two billion, the Twins making progress one point seven billion in terms of sources. A reboot of the sales process moved on finally as yielding potential buyers for the Twins. While there's been progress, those potential candidates have several concerns about the one point seven billion dollar price tag. That's a lot of money for the Twins, so much for mid market team.
Speaker 3: Yeah there, but why would they not like they're worth one point supposedly they're worth one point five to one point seven. Yeah, I forget that's two hundred million dollars, Like, don't don't, don't demean the point two that they'd like to get. It's like anything you go to sell something, you're not like, I'm going to price it at the lowest. They're looking on they're looking on car Gurus and they're going, yeah, you know what, my my car is worth this much. It's like, well, i'd take a little bit less. Of course, they would keep your price, and all the owner all the other owners are like, yeah, get your high end price. Because with the way you've run that this team. We know our team is gonna be worth way more.
Speaker 2: Isn't that crazy? They were purchased in nineteen eighty four from Calvin Griffith, that's who sold the club to Carl Pohlad in forty four million. You guys in nineteen eighty four. Let's just say they split the difference and get one point six billion. Don't tell me these owners don't have money to spend on their teams. I'm not saying that that that the twins aren't spending. What I'm saying is you have the money.
Speaker 4: By the way, the Griffith family is I know with the family. They some of their family members live in Orlando, their friends of mine that I grew up with. And yeah, they made a bad decision to sell, and they did because let's not forget they also won World Series right after they sold, So yeah, they have family. The poor Griffith family. No, I don't know if they have two hundred million, but they're not poor. But it's just kind of funny. I don't know. I mean, yeah, it's what krat said though. If you can get Listen price it at two billion, maybe someone's dumb enough to come in and get you a two billion. I don't know why not.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think teams are worth It's like I always say with houses, like your house is worth what someone offers you is a free agent, You're worth what a team offers. You send your market at seven hundred and fifty million, you might get it if you're want so, you might get seven ard and sixty five. Who knows, just some team might be out there that I'll do it for it