Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington welcomes Ginger Billy May ninth through the eleventh, Then from White Famous, Catch Jay Farroh ME sixteenth and seventeenth, and don't miss Rocky Dan Davis ME twenty third and twenty fourth. Comedy Off Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven and they're still bringing the best in stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call eight, five, nine, two, seven to one joke or visit Comedy Up Broadway, dot com Comedy Off Bay.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 3: Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: Welcome everyone.
Speaker 5: It is Kentucky Sports Radio, Tuesday, May the thirteenth. I met Jones here at the KS Bar and Grill on what looks like it will be a nice day in Lexington, Kentucky. You can come and see us, have lunch and give us down the Clark's Pumping Shop fall line. I'm Shannon still doing the you know, not gonna interrupt on the phone call.
Speaker 4: OK.
Speaker 6: We're one day in, so far, so good.
Speaker 5: Uh. The one thing about it is a lot of people yes last time called in and talked about their age gaps. That was a big that was a big topic. We'll see if that ends up happening today as well. Uh. A vishnauto glass text machine is seven seven two four five two five four in this dishan sponsored by the t J. Smith Lawfs. You call TJ. I'll make them pay. It's a big day to day, Ryan. We are debuting at Ksbar a new catfish, a new catfish, new catfish. We have upgraded our catfish. We've found a higher quality fish like it's swimming in better waters and it is going to debut. Uh. We're going to eat it in the second hour. So a high quality, higher quality catfish debuts today.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: And if you come, you can eat it. But we will be the first ones to taste.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 4: I said this a lot on the show. I'm a little bit of a catfish snob. But our catfish here is like really really, it's to be better.
Speaker 5: Now you think of what lake you got it from, You're about to get it from a bigger one.
Speaker 4: I'm excited that where catfish.
Speaker 5: Are there in lakes right yeah, yes, Uh, money's out on the boat right now. That's right. We're out getting it. A few things here first, of all, We've got some folks here from Augusta, Kentucky. This is These guys are seniors and juniors, Grayson, Hayden, Will and Nolan uh. They are here as part of a school project. The project is how to be part of the best radio show in America. And they decided to come and Drew, we welcomed them here from Augusta. Yeah, I got to say little jealous. This just seems like a boy's trip. My field trips, I mean they were fun going to nerdy museums and stuff, but these where on field trips. We went to a coal camp.
Speaker 8: That that sounds about like some of the I don't remember going to a cold camp, and I know we My big one was Chicago to the shedd aquery.
Speaker 5: Oh mind. Do you know what a ca I know, Ryan does. Do you know what a cold camp is? Mario, you have no idea what a col camp. Back in the day when people worked in coal mines, they all lived in the same place and it was like it was like a town and everyone in the town worked for the coal mine, including like you got paid in the ripped which you then had to spend at the store there. So it was like it wasn't a good thing to have happened, but but the whole town would be closed off part of the coal mine, and we went to one of those places. By the time we went, it didn't like functioning anymore, but it was fascinating. Even as a kid, it was fascinating. Now I would have rather come here and watched a good sports show.
Speaker 6: But we did do that. Did you have a good field trip when you were in No.
Speaker 4: We went to the William and Clark Memorial and Vincen's Indiana and a museum in Evansville, Indiana.
Speaker 6: William and Clark Vincen's.
Speaker 4: Aren't they the explorers that explored the like New Orleans? Well, they discovered Vincen's Indiana. Apparently there's a big monument there. I think they were much happier about New Orleansis and Clark, Lewis and Lewis and Clark.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, you thought it was William and Clark. Yeah, okay, I feel like I thought those are different people. I thought you would have known Lewis and Clark. I thought William and Clark was the secondary.
Speaker 4: Lewis and Clark.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I feel like once a year we would just go look at the Jeffer's Davis Monument. I feel like I've been there thirty times.
Speaker 4: That was just at a little problematic to me.
Speaker 8: Well, it was just in western Kentucky. I think there was some maybe some mounds in Henderson May Changel Mound.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we would just do it, rotate those Angel mount.
Speaker 4: Indian burial grounds.
Speaker 5: I thought, I didn't know that I've been to the Wickliffe Mounds. That was part of my uh, that was part of my my trip for the book. Yeah, Wickliffe Mountains, it's it is a massive Native American burial site.
Speaker 6: I think it's a federal historical site.
Speaker 4: Where is it in Kentucky?
Speaker 5: In Wickliffe? That's why they call it the Wicklift Mountains. Yeah. Uh, it's out there next the Mississippi River, like one of those four river counties down there, Ballard County, Yes, so well.
Speaker 4: The one in Indiana's on the river on the Ohio River right there in Newburgh, Indiana.
Speaker 5: See, you're learning everything. And we also have a man what's your what's your first name? Daniel who brought me, uh, the Joe Creesan book. You know, we talked about Joe creas and he wrote a book of stories about Kentucky. Joe Creesan's Kentucky. He brought it to me, and I'm going to read this. This will be I am now sixteen books towards my fifty two and two thousand and nice, nice, twenty five, and I will put this one on the list.
Speaker 4: Sounds crazy. I want to read it after you read it.
Speaker 5: Do you know how long it would take you to get through this?
Speaker 4: But I like reading about Kentucky in the background story, he says, I like it, so you'll like it. Yeah, I want to read that when you're done.
Speaker 5: All right too, we can all do it. Take me up.
Speaker 6: You got one too?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this must have been a very popular book when we knew nothing about it until last week. Yeah. Well, so anyway, I'm looking forward. Thank you very much for that.
Speaker 6: So today, you know, I've got like a lot.
Speaker 5: Of little things. Trivia is tonight. I hope you get your team together. It's this next to last qualifier. You said your team's coming, but you're not correct. Yes, we'll be here, but Mario and I will be here for trivia. Yesterday, when the show was over, there were two things that when I was out, people wanted to talk to me about. First, Everyone has an opinion on the zipper merch. I know everyone. Everyone has strong opinions on what or not you can zipper merge. People for it, people against it. There were people who were One guy came up to me and Chipotle and he said, the science of zipper merges. He said, the problem is that we don't do true zipper merges. Think about when you pull up a zipper, how each row connects right. And he said, the problem is you should be zipper merging the whole way and we go to the front. And he was like, that's not how a zipper works, which I thought was good point. Interesting, only the selfish people go to the front. I didn't it did be only people in a hurry go to the front. And then the second thing was everybody was agreeing with us Drew that Ryan is gonna get married within the next few minutes, and so I saw two people that knew Ryan and said Ryan will be married by Christmas, and so I was glad to see that his friends agreed with us.
Speaker 8: I don't know if Ryan loved it, but I like that discussion. I hate that it came at the end of the show because I felt like we had at least another segment out of that, especially when the tech started coming in from yoga Gal because she didn't say no wedding, she said no destination wedding.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like didn't want to go to Aruba, which I think is fair since they've never been and that would be weird.
Speaker 4: I just liked how the original question was, Matt, will you ever get married or you will have kids? Somehow I got deflected on me and my relationship status.
Speaker 5: Because I don't talk about it and you do. And that's that's what that's why it happens. Now, would you rather Ryan talk about interesting good basketball things or troubling football things to start? You tell me which one you want.
Speaker 4: I think you gotta start with good news, So I'm gonna go with basketball.
Speaker 5: Okay, I don't know. It's not really news. But Mark Pope is going to hold his first press conference with the media today at Noone. That just got announced. He is going to come on this show next Well, we're gonna tape it Tuesday afternoon next week and it will be airing next Wednesday. It's gonna be a long sit down which we're gonna then turn into a like an hour show. It'd be like one of the two hours will be my conversation with Pope, but.
Speaker 4: He's doing a press conference today.
Speaker 5: It starts right out after this show, as every piece of UK news breaks right at twelve. That says to me, Drew, that Pope's roster is finished, right that he feels like he said they weren't gonna talk until the roster's finished. That tells me the roster is finished. What do you think we're gonna hear today? This will be his first time talking in mass to the media.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was gonna try to make it over there. I don't I don't think i'll have time. He actually shows up. When he says noon, it means noon pastor Regames noon at twelve thirty, and I could get there, but I will tune into the live stream. I really, even though he puts out statements about each player, I just want to see what went into getting all these pieces, how he plans on putting together. You know, I doubt he's gonna reveal how the rotation will look this early, but I really just want to hear him go player by player and get an understanding of why I went after him and how he sees them fitting in here.
Speaker 4: You gotta know he's gonna be excited about the rosters. You know, a lot of it's gonna be really positive coming from him today. You know, you're right. He said he would talk to you, talk to the meeting. When his roster was completed, I felt like they were really gonna go out and get one more guys.
Speaker 5: I still thought there was a chance they would. They must feel good about Otega coming back. I think if he's gonna, if he's gonna talk, I think they must feel pretty good about that. The draft lottery was last night, not that that probably would have affected him, but.
Speaker 6: So that's how I look at it.
Speaker 5: A couple questions I would like someone, since none of us are gonna be there, let's give the questions we would like them to ask. I have one, like kind of juicy question. I want to hear him say something about Travis Parry because they didn't release the statement when he left. They got asking and I found that weird. I mean I just did. I found that weird because Mark Pope seems like the kind of guy who.
Speaker 8: Would always release a statement, and that was his first player called him out in the press conference last year.
Speaker 5: So it does I do I don't want I wouldn't want to ask him why didn't you say anything? But I would just kind of be interested in what he says about Travis Lee. I'm sure he'll take the high road, but but I admit, Drew, I do wonder there was no from Travis love you BBN, and there was no from Pope, you know. I mean, we didn't even get it with that said from Travis Perry.
Speaker 4: Right, we didn't.
Speaker 5: We didn't, And I wonder I do wonder about that, do you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, someone will ask I think that'll come up pretty quickly, but I don't think we'll get a great answer. It'll be the uh hit beautiful time here. We wish him luck, incredible, but I just don't think that happened. I do think it's weird, but I don't think we'll ever get a real answer, especially in a press conference setting like that.
Speaker 5: Someone will ask him.
Speaker 8: I'd be shocked if someone doesn't ask him, But I don't know that there will be a lot of meat on that bone in his answer. I think he'll be pretty vague and just wish him well.
Speaker 4: It should have happened, like as soon as he announced he was leaving Reese's statement in you can't do it now after he's picked Ole Miss a conference rival. But when Travis left, I was surprised that there wasn't something from just from just a graphic. I was surprised from both.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm much more surprised Travis didn't put something out. I mean coaches usually do, but players.
Speaker 5: They always say with that being said, like always, this has been a wonderful time, said, you know, God's playing like they always do that, and they didn't do it. So I do think that that's interesting. I guess the other thing I would like somebody to ask is I want him to reassure me that these guys can shoot right, because it seems like so much of what Mark Mark Pope's offense is is shooting the three, and on paper, this looks to be, while a significant step up athletically, maybe a step back from a shooting perspective.
Speaker 4: I heard Jalen Lowe's dad was on the Sunday Morning's Corse Talk this weekend and he said that I didn't know this, that he had a dislocated elbow like right before the season started. He thinks that affected his shot all year last year, that he's a better shooter than the numbers will let you tell you he is. That was kind of encouraging to hear.
Speaker 5: Although it is his dad. What's his dad gonna say, like gonna be like he can't shoot? I mean, like his dad is gonna fact. I'm on, I am on a little bit of a hey family member, like I Bob, the Pope's brothers got to just shut up.
Speaker 6: I was like, he was on he was on what is it?
Speaker 5: What's the dude Shannon that did the British got Peers Morgan? Yeah, person, Yeah, he was on his show and he was like, I mean, my brother's not really woke.
Speaker 4: I mean he might be a little woke, and you're like, dude, like what are you doing?
Speaker 5: And he was just sitting back and he like he was sitting like with his crotch up and he like not even sitting up straight. I'm like, your brother's the Pope, at least sit up straight. I do wonder sometimes about family members. I don't trust entirely what they say.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 8: One good thing I heard from Jayleen Lowe's dad this morning on Tom leach a show is did you know he was Jeff Brasso's point guard in high school? Jayleen Low's dad was that kind of show brassow at him when he got so the Harrison.
Speaker 6: Twins gave a big complica. They said that.
Speaker 5: They said, uh, they thought he was gonna be great because they I don't know how they know him from Texas and Texas from Texas and uh and darreon Fox knows him too.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so he actually we mentioned as shooting. Low this weekend was one of the standouts at the G League camp. And even though it was only two scrimmages, He's playing against good competition and shot forty three percent from three games.
Speaker 5: But of all the players coming in, I think he's gonna be great. I think there's a decent change. I'm gonna go on record, write it down, all right, He's gonna be our leading score next year, Otaka, that's our leading score next year.
Speaker 4: Well, if he can shoot a lot better than these numbers are, he's got the chance he can get to the basketball. I don't think that's a play a lot of minutes. No, Like if you were if you were.
Speaker 5: Setting Vegas odds, Otaga would probably be first, but Jayalen Row would probably be second. I don't I don't think that's a crazy outlandish pick to say he'll be the leading scorer.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean he can absolutely good buckets. He'll have to dial back as much as he was used at pitt He's known as a driving kick guy too, so if guys are shooting, he's gonna have a highest sister getting inside in the throwing back out.
Speaker 5: He was the dude we didn't have. I mean, he is a guy that at the end of the game can go get a shot. I mean we were at we made a couple with Otago, especially against Oklahoma, but in general, you know, I kept worrying we needed someone like that. I think he'll be that guy.
Speaker 4: Name a half three with Aberdeen, Otega, and Lowell, got three guys that can go get that shot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I'm excited about it. So we'll see what happens with the press conference. AF I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven. Text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. We're gonna take a break. Shannon conspiracy theory. Shannon's got to come out next segment. Okay, was the NBA draft for lottery.
Speaker 4: Rig I think I think you have to you at least have to discuss it.
Speaker 6: Because it is a little odd.
Speaker 4: We'll take a break right back this Kazar.
Speaker 5: Welcome back in his Kentucky Sports radio A five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven text machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. Again, we're gonna let you, uh, sort of finish what you have to say. Today worked pretty well. Yesterday.
Speaker 6: You did pretty well yesterday, though.
Speaker 5: I had some people write me Shandon and say, don't let people finish what they say, yeah, because they don't have anything to say. But I thought yesterday was a pretty decent balance. I went back and listened, and so I thought it was pretty good. Yeah, well we'll do it.
Speaker 3: You learn a lot about.
Speaker 5: You do learn, and some people you don't need to know as much about it. Some people you want everything. One person writes Matt, the whole Travis Perry thing takes me off. He's a Kentucky legend and he should never have left here. I mean, I don't agree with that he should have never left. It was it was the best decision for him. I mean, you know, we talked about this during the year a little bit. I think I think when you bring these Kentucky players to the to the campus, they better be really good or else you set up for fans going why isn't so and so play right? And that is distracting for a team. It just is. It is distracting for a team to it's distracting for the player ahead of Travis Perry, who people go why isn't Travis Perry? And then when Perry's not playing? I think it is fair to say, Ryan, you tell me if this is fair to say that Travis Parry's dad was a coach and he has a very strong presence.
Speaker 4: Fair to say, yes, you look nervous. I don't know where you're going with this.
Speaker 5: Well, he has a very strong presence and he makes that presence felt. Is that fair the coach? I guess what? No, you know what, the father of Travis Perry, the coach, Yes, also makes his presence felt. And yes, yes, okay, And and it's a Kentucky coach that can be Could that be a distraction?
Speaker 4: Definitely?
Speaker 6: Why are you saying I'm so nervous if you're agreeing with me?
Speaker 4: Well, because I don't think Ryan Perry is that kind of guy. I think he's a he's a coach, but he's beloved. Everybody likes him.
Speaker 5: I don't think.
Speaker 4: That doesn't mean.
Speaker 5: He's not beloved. Everyone in this situation can be beloved. Mark Pope can be beloved. Travis Perry can be beloved. Coach Perry can be beloved. But it can lead to it can lead to their being some distraction. Is that not fair?
Speaker 4: I'm definitely it's fair.
Speaker 5: Okay, then I don't know why you're nervous.
Speaker 4: I just don't know if that's the case here. I think it's fair, but I don't know if that's the case. Oh well, then why are you agreeing with me? You were asked me questions that I agree with. Is he a big personality? Yes, okay, you're lead.
Speaker 5: And he just this is why you can't lead a witness, because I ended up he ended up saying exactly what I thought, and then saying he didn't think it. Point bean, I think it was best for Travis to go somewhere else and he got the money that he wanted and he'll get the playing time, so Drew, I don't because he was a Kentucky legend to me the day your high school time. It's a meritocracy. If you can.
Speaker 4: Play, you play.
Speaker 5: If you can't play, you don't play period, where you went to school and all that shouldn't matter in my opinion.
Speaker 8: I mean, I still think he's a Kentucky legend. He's the whole time leading score broken record. It should be broken. But at the end of the day, if someone's gonna give you more money, more playing time, that's a win for Travis Perry, and it could be a win for Pope. They don't have to have the pressure of feeling like they have to play him. I mean, it's not a certainly not a loss, because I don't think he's gonna play that much this time this upcoming season. Anyway, I think this is the case where you look at each other and you shake hands and say, it was a fun year. I've got to go do what's best for me.
Speaker 4: You know, he got recruited over this year. He's gonna get recruited over every year, and he knows that. It's just unfortunate. I think he got forced into a position this year he wasn't ready for. They had to play because of injuries. He didn't shoot the ball as well as he usually does, and I think those two things combined. I wish he could have a do over, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But Trent Noah got forced to play, and you saw moments where you could have said that can work. Yep, you didn't see.
Speaker 6: It with Travis, at least I didn't.
Speaker 5: Now that doesn't mean it's not gonna work, but he was gonna be thir like, would you have not recruited Aberdeen? You have to.
Speaker 4: You had to.
Speaker 5: So he's now third string. And do Kentucky fans lose their minds about losing the third string point guard. No, it's just the cause he's from here. But I'm sorry. I love having kids from Kentucky. It makes me feel good. But you know what's most important, we win, right. It's like to use a political analogy. I like James Carville. I see James Carvill on TV, and I always see he's fighting with people on the far left, and the people on the far left go, we need politicians who believe with us on this, this and this, And then James Carville sounds like me. He goes, I want to win, and he's like, y'all can argue about that. I want to win. I'm the same way. I want to win.
Speaker 6: Would I rather win with kids from Kentucky?
Speaker 4: Yes, But first, Drew gotta.
Speaker 8: Win and who's to say this couldn't happen again. I don't want to put anything on an exact names, but let's say one of the Kentucky kids on the current roster doesn't play it all next year in a school calls and says, I'll triple your money and give you X amount of playing time.
Speaker 4: I would think that player should do it.
Speaker 8: You have to look out for yourself in this NIO world where you're gonna make more money in this four year window than you will probably ever in your life.
Speaker 5: The reports are that Travis Perry maybe made six to seven hundred thousand at Old Miss, he was probably gonna make two hundred to two hundred and fifty here. He'd be foolish not to go there.
Speaker 4: Triple your money and you get more playing time.
Speaker 6: If it'd be.
Speaker 5: Foolish, it'd be foolish not to go. All right, who's up first here, Johnny, Johnny, go ahead, Johnny, hey man.
Speaker 9: I was just wondering. I know you talked about it some last week, with the athletics program going to like a private business.
Speaker 10: Yes, do you think that are other.
Speaker 9: Sports that aren't maybe as popular, don't bring in as much money? There will be like a concerted marketing strategy to get those sports more exposure and more money and maybe even see something like a UK sports network.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well you can't have a UK sports network sport.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we can't have a UK sports network because all of our media rights are held with the SEC. So our media rights outside of our and I appreciate the call our basketball, our basketball and football, well, all of our broadcast rights on radio are held by JAYMI, but all of our TV rights and all the other University of Kentucky rights are held by ESPN, So we're never going to be able to package those as one thing. They will always be part of ESPN. Yeah, I mean, I'm sure they'd love to market the other sports. It's hard, though, you know, people only have so much time Ryan, right, like, like, you know, I'm sure there's a lot of people that would love to watch soccer, but you know what, that's during football season and they got other things to watch, and I think it's hall hard to market these other sports. People care about what they care about, and in Kentucky they care about basketball, football, women's basketball, and they've started to care a little bit about baseball. And that's just kind of how it is.
Speaker 4: And that that TV contract is the biggest revenue maker of the for the program.
Speaker 5: It is the revenue maker for the program. I mean that and football tickets are the revenue makers. True, And you're right about it's hard to keep up with everything. I do it for a living and I can barely keep up with everything. I mean, there are people who love UK, went to UK and support UK baseball, but can struggle to tell you what's going on with them, just because people have lives, and you know, you're into basketball and football for so long. It's hard to just stay engaged with every little thing that happens in UK athletics every day.
Speaker 6: I mean, we talked about this a lot yesterday.
Speaker 5: There are benefits to business and capitalism and then there are negatives. And what we're gonna see in UK sports is the negative is gonna start being hurting some.
Speaker 4: Of these other sports.
Speaker 5: It just is. I mean, it's just life. That's the way it's gonna be. We'll take a break, be right back, okay, Sorry.
Speaker 3: TJ Smith, personal injury attorney called TJ. He'll make them pay now.
Speaker 2: More of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 3: Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 4: Welcome back Tucky Sports Radio AF.
Speaker 5: I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven gonna go to the phone here and just Segon what person rights? Matt. My favorite part of the show is when you make Ryan uncomfortable. It's clear he doesn't like to talk about things. And that's when I know it's a real scoop. That's exactly right. That's a great read. Anytime you hear Ryan get quiet, that means it's real. That means because that means he doesn't want to say it because he knows it's true.
Speaker 4: Man. We had a weather's awesome today, great weather outside.
Speaker 5: Talking about That's what I'm talking about. Right.
Speaker 6: Would you like we didn't do the football thing?
Speaker 4: We'll do it?
Speaker 5: Second, out Drew, would you like good news or bad news about the state of Kentucky outside of sports?
Speaker 6: Which one would you like?
Speaker 5: First? Uh, let's get the bad news out of the way. They get back to a good show. Russells Springs, Kentucky. Man Yes was arrested for biting the ear off a cat. He bit the ear off a cat. When the police asked him why, his answer was the cat bit me first, I'm not kidding. His answer was the cat bit me first, and I got angry, and then I bit the ear off a cat Russell Springs. I don't know what's happening there. We've done many shows there, but you gotta keep your guys from eating biting the ears off cats. I read this story on kwats he this morning. I believe he bit both ears off, So I mean he did it once and then went back. He can't say.
Speaker 4: I'll double check that. But Shannon you Tall talked about it too. Wasn't it both ears?
Speaker 3: I didn't hear both, But I think one ear is enough.
Speaker 5: I feel like one ear's plenty. I feel like and if you do it a second time that psychopath behavior. Yeah, like, you know one ear, maybe you just got angry, but the second ear.
Speaker 3: I mean Mike Tyson stopped at once.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Mike Tyson did stop at one. He didn't go to the second year.
Speaker 8: And this in the nibble like her was removed right off. Yeah, that's with I don't want to live among people by these.
Speaker 4: Stories happen in Kentucky.
Speaker 5: Why can't it be I think we know the answer to that, all right, But how about some good news? All right? To have some good news in twenty twenty they ranked the list of most obese states in America and Kentucky was the third most obese state in America. But in twenty twenty four they updated it. We are now only the eighth most obese state. News. Yeah, well, we have risen five states in the last four years. I don't know why. Be interesting you think it.
Speaker 6: But everybody else has that access to ozimpic too.
Speaker 5: But remember, Bowling Greens is the number one city in America for ozimpic.
Speaker 6: Again, why, we still don't know.
Speaker 5: But how about that we've gone from we have passed not only Mississippi Louisiana, but we've passed Iowa. Yeah, Nebraska, I was fatter than us now, so that's really good news. I'm proud of us. A lot of us just walking around our shirts off, showing off this new bard A lot of us do.
Speaker 4: Whether or not we should is a different.
Speaker 8: Good God, good job Kentucky. Everyone out there that's slim down a little bit, I'm proud of you.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 5: So even if it's yes, we may occasionally bite the ear off a cat, but we don't swallow it as much anymore because we're staying We're staying thin.
Speaker 8: To go back to that real quick. I looked up the story. It says ears, so I take that as too. But one thing I didn't know. His deputies found him hiding under the blankets on his bed. Yeah, he just ran in the bedroom like they and he got under the blankets.
Speaker 5: He decided to hide, and he went under his blankets like they think the police are not gonna look under my well.
Speaker 8: I hope that guy gets help. But on the weight loss thing, I do think Ozipa Ozimpi probably plays a big role with the bowl and green hot bed for it.
Speaker 4: That cat thing's really hairy situation.
Speaker 5: You know, you sat there for like three or four minutes trying to come up with that, and that was.
Speaker 4: The best you did.
Speaker 5: Almost went with Oh no, it's good.
Speaker 4: Who's up next?
Speaker 3: I was gonna I don't want to hear one of those other jokes.
Speaker 4: I wish it.
Speaker 5: What was your second when it's gonna be worse because this is the one you didn't choose.
Speaker 4: Well, And Drew said, hit under the cover. I thought that man probably thought he had a perfect hiding place.
Speaker 3: Good lord, I don't.
Speaker 11: Know why.
Speaker 5: You wanted to hear that one.
Speaker 3: My bad, My bad, Cody.
Speaker 7: Cody, go ahead, Cody, Cody, Hey, Hey, hey, Yeah, No, you're I'm You're Cody.
Speaker 5: I'm mad go.
Speaker 12: Ahead, Yeah, this is this is Cody here. I'm calling in me and Mark Bowers here. But anyways, I'm I'm the head coach of the Melenberg County High School fishing team. We wanted to call in this morning.
Speaker 6: So you're the head coach of the fishing team.
Speaker 12: Yeah, county are.
Speaker 4: Pretty good, right.
Speaker 5: I think I remember over the years that you all are one of the better fishing teams.
Speaker 11: This is Mark Mahler's Mutemberg County. Also, they just won their seventh state championship and third in a row.
Speaker 4: Third in a row of somin they saw.
Speaker 5: Congratulations. What makes Muhlenberg County High School fishing so successful.
Speaker 12: It's the hard working dedication we put in, just like practice anything else that you know you do, the more practice you put in effort. Uh, we put the time and effort in.
Speaker 5: That's awesome. Well, well, congratulations, that sounds like a dynasty. And you just had the state championship or it's about to come.
Speaker 12: No, it just happened last Friday and Saturday on Lake Cumberland.
Speaker 5: Oh, on Lake cumbers so you all had to go on the road, right, yes, their Well congratulations.
Speaker 11: It had been at Kentucky Lake. They moved it after we won our second and then they moved it to Lake Cumberland and we won our third.
Speaker 5: Well congratulations. I think we had talked on this show about I appreciate the call that you got that there would seem to be a home like advantage, true because you would know where the fish are. And Meulenberg County show they can go on the road and still fish with the best, got a big dynasty going on. Also, they're the new catfish at CA's Bar. But people don't know this, but the Meellenberg County High School provides our catfish. We just took their way.
Speaker 8: We should actually consider that maybe an nil opportunity. Go out and find us some fish. We'll fright up.
Speaker 5: So whichever team wins, we take their fish, and then.
Speaker 4: That's what we cook everybody wins.
Speaker 5: That would be kind of nice, Kentucky.
Speaker 4: I have one hundred questions about this, like are they only catching bass or do they catch crappie?
Speaker 8: There's a we had them on the phone, we should ask I was a little thrown off by the two people there were they passing a phone back.
Speaker 4: The respectment the.
Speaker 5: Catfish whish title that would presume that it was or is it just fishing?
Speaker 4: I didn't hear catfish from maybe he said that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, well either way, we'll congrats to Muhlenburg County.
Speaker 3: Who's next, Dustin?
Speaker 4: Dustin? Go ahead, Dustin.
Speaker 10: Mark Stoop's big fan of him his entire career that he's been here, yestand I understand the schedule is terrible, but he goes five and seven with eighteen points a game. Back of the end offense and the SEC. It's time to move on. But if you can somehow let bush hand and do a little bit of something, have a middle of the road offense, I get it. But this stuff a stallball and let defense take the field. I just can't do it anymore.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, let's talk about that for just a minute. That was gonna be my football conversation. So somebody sent me this morning Ryan a email they had about the applications for season ticket renewal for UK football. And for those of you that are see and ticket holders, you know, when your turn comes up in the line, they will show you all the seats that are available and you can upgrade to better seats, and obviously some of them cost more and some of them don't. This person had gotten their email last week and they showed me and Ryan. The amount of seats that were open was staggering. The person said, they've been doing this a long time and there are always some open, but never anywhere close to this, and including lots of seats that to me look expensive have have come open. And you sit there and you look at the at the at the sheet and it was a lot of seats in really good sections. Are you worried about attendance slash, because I mean that has a major effect on revenue at a time that we are adding twenty two million dollars to our budget.
Speaker 4: Are you worried about that? I honestly, I mean I'm worried about attendance. I'm worried about our team next year. I mean, they haven't won a home football game. What two years? They all for their last eight and sec home games. I think people were just kind of put off by the things they've seen the last couple years. That are not gonna spend that kind of money to go watch another product that may not be as good even this year.
Speaker 5: But I mean, is there anything you think they can do or is it just like that's what it's gonna be next year. Because I looked at it, and I'm telling you, I looked at it and I was shocked at how many seats were available, like shocked. I think that's what it's gonna be. I'm normally overly optimistic with Kentucky football. I mean, I've booked hotels in Atlanta in the last few years thinking that could happen. And I think it's gonna be ugly. And it doesn't help that.
Speaker 8: You know, you want to drum up interests, getting excitement, and they're like our guy that just bit the cats there, they're under the blankets over there, being quiet, not putting out anything. There's very little marketing to get anyone excited because you know Stoops said he don't want to create headlines or set a high bar. I think that's shooting themselves in the foot. Then you add, you know, we've seen people complain about parking and ticket prices had gone up. That was a big issue when that first came out. I just think it's it's gonna be. You think it's gonna be like like, let's say Game one. You know, over the years, even when we've stunk, Game one is close to full because people are excited. Is Game one gonna be full?
Speaker 5: Close to full? I think a lot of people will still just buy a ticket.
Speaker 8: You'll be able to get there's I hate to say, there's not really a point in getting season tickets in a year where there's not much interest. You can get them day of for nothing. I think people will still go and make days out of it early on, but as the year goes on, nobody wants to make that commitment for a whole year because they I think everyone sees the writing on the wall of what the record could be the show.
Speaker 5: I mean, you could see a scenario, Ryan where that third game gives you your real indication. Right, everybody shows up for the first game because it's a first game. Then they play Old Miss in the second game, people will be But then that third game where they play Eastern Michigan after they've just been there.
Speaker 6: For two straight weeks, if the product.
Speaker 5: Against Old Miss is poor, you could see a scenario where in that third game it's not a great situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I and Andrew's right. I think that first game there'll be a good crowd. You know, we'll tuck ourselves into it this summer. Then we're gonna be good and be better. But the Toledo's tough man. You can't. You can't lose that game and then don't miss that second game. You're right. If you start the season rough like that, the crowd's gonna check out. They're kind of hanging by a thread right now, and I think they're gonna check out if they don't play well.
Speaker 5: If you want a positive though, Shannon Good, seats are still available.
Speaker 6: If you want to be a first time season ticket holder.
Speaker 5: Now as you're chaying, probably get the best season ticket you ever thought you could get this year.
Speaker 8: Beating a miss is a tough assignment. But they cannot have what they did with South Carolina Week two last year.
Speaker 4: We just got smoked.
Speaker 5: Smoke.
Speaker 4: You cannot get destroyed there.
Speaker 5: You can't.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be very, very important.
Speaker 5: Hey, you wouldn't skip halftime adjustments, right, No, So don't skip your skin check. We were at the Kentucky Skin Cancer Center and they have your back, your arms, your face, your neck, all of it. We all got facials and that was great, But I also saw people who came to the show getting checked for skin cancer, and that's a great thing for them. Uh, and hopefully you could do that as well. Go to the Kentucky Skin Cancer Center. They have it in Bowling Green Owensboro, Powderly, which I didn't know was a town, but I do now, Franklin. It's the way to make sure if you have any skin cancer issues, you could get them taken care of early, or just get yourself pampered a little bit with the facial et cetera. Go to the Kentucky Skin Cancer Center today all around western Kentucky.
Speaker 4: I really enjoyed that, did you?
Speaker 5: Did you like when they.
Speaker 4: Did all the stuff? You can't wait to get another one?
Speaker 5: That was awesome.
Speaker 4: I'd never had one before.
Speaker 5: You not like that, that one with the little micros and the little machine like you?
Speaker 4: Did you?
Speaker 5: Did you? I got home, people are like, you're glowing, and I said, well, thank you very much.
Speaker 6: We'll take a break, be right back.
Speaker 5: It's KISR.
Speaker 4: Welcome back, Tuck you sports radio.
Speaker 5: Uh text machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. One person tells me, Uh, Powderly, Kentucky is where Roscoe P. Coletrane is from. Really from the Duke's James Best, James Best, wait to know the names, Shannon.
Speaker 6: I've been pressed, how in the world did you know that?
Speaker 2: I was a big fan of that show? And then you know he was on the Andy Griffiths Show a couple of.
Speaker 5: Years he was on Andriffins show. You're right, one person writes, Matt, Let's say all of your co hosts and KSR people were had been drinking, which one would you trust most to put on the air. Oh that's a good question, all right, So I'm gonna assume you three, Mario and Billy have all been Who would I put on the air? I think I would trust Mario the most because he would just giggle and point, which wouldn't necessarily be good radio. But I don't think he would say something offensive, Like you don't really curse very much either, very rarely. You don't really say anything of it. So I would trust you the most. He gets really curious and ask questions more than he's Yeah.
Speaker 3: You just you just don't stop talking.
Speaker 5: You just don't shut up. That's exactly right, you just talk non stop. But that's not bad for it.
Speaker 4: You can do a two hour show.
Speaker 5: I would say second would be Drew because he's used to it.
Speaker 4: I would just talk about Gilly and how nice he is.
Speaker 5: And then I would say Shannon is probably third. I would not trust Billy, and I definitely would not trust wrong. Ryan goes from person I probably trust the most with the show to person I trust the least with the show.
Speaker 4: I agree when drinking, I put myself last. Also, I'm putting Tumosa, Billy and Chatty Patty Mario down there with me, though I don't want those guys on DA. But Mario doesn't say anything bad.
Speaker 5: He just doesn't shut up winnate, which is so weird because he's the quietest of us in real life.
Speaker 4: He would talk to the commercial breaks.
Speaker 5: Oh, he's all over the amount of people that have written in during the break and told me that they didn't renew their season tickets.
Speaker 8: Wow, I don't get nearly as many texts as you and I've gotten.
Speaker 4: Had The price has gone up, also, I think just barely.
Speaker 5: If all well, there's one less game they have, Yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 4: It's the it's there's one less game, same price, same one less game.
Speaker 5: Same price, one less game.
Speaker 8: But it seems there's a lot of complaining about RV parking. I don't know if it's priced or if they've changed, But a lot of people that would bust in and do the whole big set up and make a weekend out of it.
Speaker 4: I've heard from a lot of them too.
Speaker 5: You know. At the end of the day, joker, I mean, I think I think it was fifty to fifty him going any either way. And then the Vandy game, the attendance ended it fair and the performance we lost forty to nothing. You know, you do wonder if they if the wheels fall off this year, if you get a similar result in terms of you know, I mean, I hate to say this because I want to be optimistic. I still think. I do think the football team's going to be better. Is the record going to be significantly better? I don't know, but I do think the team's going to be better. But I do think the program is entering that phase. My example would be imagine Cow's last year. If we didn't have Reed Shepherd and Rob Dillingham coming into the year, imagine that left because they brought energy right like they brought like, oh there's a kid. And then the first game or two when Reid was like oh, Reed's for real. Then the team kind of got some energy. That's kind of what I Let's imagine that team was DJ Wagner, Justin Edwards, Aaron Bradshaw, Antonio Reeves is the centerpieces. That's kind of what I feel like that is happening here.
Speaker 4: I think it's a great comparison. Actually, I mean I keep saying it. They lost sixteen starters from last year's team that didn't win a home SEC game, and this year your home SEC games are Texas, Florida, Tennessee and Ole miss.
Speaker 5: Easy and it hurts them.
Speaker 8: There's so many new pieces, and they needed new pieces, but it's hard to get excited about them when no one has a clue what they'll actually look like until they get on the foe.
Speaker 5: Objectively, and I'm fine saying this. Look, I support Mark Stoops. I want it to work. I like Mark Stoops and but I'm gonna call it as I see it. But I do like him, and I do think you know.
Speaker 4: I do like him.
Speaker 6: With that said, objectively speaking, they.
Speaker 5: Do a terrible job of marketing this. The fact that we didn't know how cool Maxwell Harriston was until the draft is that's a UK should look in the mirror and got amongst all these stars at the NFL Draft, including Shador Sanders and all these guys. Maxwell Harston, who was picked at the bottom of the first round, objectively won the night. He was on the Good Morning America, he was on the Today Show, he was in this city and none of us knew that about him.
Speaker 4: That's a failure in marketing.
Speaker 5: He should have been the face of the program, right, He should have been the guy that had everybody excited because he had such a great personality and he was and it didn't happen. And Ryan, that to me is a failure in connecting with your fans.
Speaker 4: And they knew come into the season he was gonna be, you know, all sec Carabel player because he had a great year last year.
Speaker 5: But if the nation connected with him and we didn't in the state, yeah, we were learning with everyone else.
Speaker 4: That's a problem.
Speaker 6: Is that's a problem.
Speaker 5: I mean, like the idea that this dude, I mean literally there were tiktoks from like all these people who don't even care about football being like, what what an amazing You know the fact that we didn't know that is a failure in marketing your product.
Speaker 8: It just is, and this year the whole roster is unknown. I mean, there's some guys that are back, but the last few years you at least had a Dane and a Baryon and some returning pieces you get excited about, like the brand new quarterback from Incarnate Word, Dante Daldel, who should be a good running back, but we don't know the receiving rooms hardly.
Speaker 4: Gilmore's back.
Speaker 8: There's there's really not a lot of guys where you're like, well, I'm excited to go out there and watch him because I know he's there.
Speaker 4: There's just so many on there.
Speaker 5: Ever been a team, certainly since the Joker era, but maybe even before that. Our fans will know less about I mean, and they're not gonna know, right, So I'm not surprised, unfortunately, that that's what it is with the season tickets.
Speaker 4: All right, we're gonna take a break.
Speaker 5: We are here at Ks Bar and grill New Catfish coming, wait hungry and uh, come on out and see us.
Speaker 4: We'll take a break. Right back to Kentucky Sports Radio.