Speaker 1: What up bright Side besties, Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Today on the bright Side, we have one of the it girls in comedy right now, inspiring us to take big risks in our careers. Mary Beth Baron is here to make us laugh and think. She wrote, directed, produced, and financed her own comedy special titled thought Provoking, Oh so Inspiring.
Speaker 3: And then later we're going to turn the tables and Mary Beth asks us some thought provoking questions based on the bright Side's core themes like friendship, dating, and aging.
Speaker 4: It's a fun one, y'all. It's Thursday, April eighteenth.
Speaker 2: I'm Simone Voice, I'm Danielle Robe and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 4: Danielle, what's new with you? I feel like we haven't caught up in a minute.
Speaker 2: Actually, I know, I have been reading and watching TV. I haven't done a daily show in a while, and I forgot something really funny. When you do a daily show, part of your job is to be interesting, and so I haven't had time to read, to consume content, to watch things. And last weekend and this week I made it a point to do that. So I caught up on Tokyovice season two, which is unbelievable, and I'm really just infatuated and obsessed with Japanese culture, and so it's really an amazing show. And then Girls five Eva, which is so funny and I love Busy Phillips and I love that show.
Speaker 3: Have you seen Showgun on FX No, also about Japanese culture, but it takes place many many moons ago. It's kind of like Game of Thrones ish, but set in Japanese culture.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I went to Japan a few years ago, like right before COVID hit, and the fashion there is unbelievable. They're like years ahead of us. Yeah, what's going on with you?
Speaker 3: I also have been trying to prioritize just reading and not really watching TV as much. I watched that Ripley show and I loved it. But I am trying to get through this fantasy series a Katar that a lot of people love these days. So I'm working my way through that, and that's been really great. That's been a rendy.
Speaker 1: You have time to read, like right before bed.
Speaker 4: In the evenings. Yeah, it's really tough, though.
Speaker 3: I am feeling so strapped for time these days between kids and the show. But I also have been investing in my health more lately. I'm really on my bodybuilder game again. Hmmm, smashing my teens, smashing my protein. I'm lifting weights. Should we get into our morning drip?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I think so? All right.
Speaker 2: Ariana Grande's ninety eight year old Nonah is breaking music industry records. Marjorie Grande is now the oldest living person to make the Billboard.
Speaker 1: Hot one hundred.
Speaker 4: That's so cool.
Speaker 2: I know, you know, I don't want to make this about me because it's not. But people always say that Ariana Grande is my celebrity doppelganger.
Speaker 4: Uh oh, is this a Chelsea from Love is Blind moment? Right now?
Speaker 1: You tell me, what do you think?
Speaker 4: I don't see it really no, I.
Speaker 2: Kind of had you come up to me at the gym. What it's the ponytail? So Ariana Grande. They released this really cute Instagram photo where she's holding the plaque and it's it's sweet, like, it's really exciting to see.
Speaker 3: I love hearing stories about folks in their golden years experiencing success later in life.
Speaker 4: This is so cool.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously it's facilitated by her super famous, super hot granddaughter, but.
Speaker 4: I love this for Nona.
Speaker 2: I love it for Nona, and I love it for Ariana too, because I think audiences like us are just craving that personal touch.
Speaker 1: I love getting to know people's families.
Speaker 2: When we were at south By Southwest when we kicked off the show, my grandma was actually at south By two. She had a movie, like a VR film about her life, and the producers and I were laughing because I kept texting her to see her and she could not find time.
Speaker 1: She calls me schnooky.
Speaker 2: She was like, I'd love to see you, Schnuoky, but I'm very busy.
Speaker 4: That is the cutest nickname ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Ariana Grande's Nona found some time, So my Olma better.
Speaker 1: Take a page out of her book.
Speaker 4: I love it all right.
Speaker 2: Crazy Rich Asians is headed to Broadway. The movie was a huge smash at the box office. Audiences loved it. My mom and I have watched this movie a hundred times together.
Speaker 1: I lotch you, Oh yeah, we love like.
Speaker 2: Any sort of romance films, and we fight about it because I'll tell her about how like this part isn't feminist or female forward, and she was like, Danielle, it's love get.
Speaker 3: Over it is she a bit more traditional in that respect, Yeah, she is, and she's very romantic, so she loved that film.
Speaker 2: But I'm excited that it's gonna be turned into a musical because it's gonna be based on the movie, which was based on a trilogy of books, which I actually didn't know, and it's gonna have great vision because it's directed by John m chu who directed the movie, and he's directed a ton of other musical films Wicked in the Heights, and this is his Broadway directorial debut.
Speaker 4: This is going to be a walk in the park for him, though.
Speaker 3: I mean, some of those dance scenes and in the Heights were just so impressive. They were on such a massive scale. So he's going to nail this.
Speaker 1: Okay, we have to talk about likability.
Speaker 4: Oh, let's get into it.
Speaker 1: Simona and I.
Speaker 2: Both came across this article in Glamour and we could not stop texting about it. So we have to bring it to the pod. Anya Meerwitz wrote an article titled learning to be Unlikable is the best thing I've ever done.
Speaker 4: Here's why. That headline, first of all, amazing.
Speaker 2: Amazing, and the topic really intrigued both of us. She talks about her deep seated desire to be likable, and she gives incredible examples, like at a massage parlor, the massage isn't going great, but she doesn't want to say anything. At the hospital when she was giving birth, she really wanted the staff to like her, so she was scared to need anything. She goes into rewriting emails to be likable, even like talking to payroll when they haven't paid her on time.
Speaker 1: She doesn't want to be unlikable.
Speaker 3: This is such a universal issue that I think so many women struggle with, myself included. You have to read this article. Make it a priority to read this article. It was really profound and it got me thinking about all the things that I've sacrificed in the name of being likable, like my happiness, different opportunities. Ultimately, the desire to be likable has cost me my safety at times as well.
Speaker 4: And I think when you look.
Speaker 3: Across all levels of society you can see examples of this. There's the issue of likability in politics. Voters elect quote unlikable male candidates all the time, but then female candidates have to work twice as hard in order to gain that elusive likability factor. And that's the thing, like, likability is this amorphous, abstract term.
Speaker 4: It's so hard to define. What does that even mean?
Speaker 1: That's part of what's today dificult about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly likability in Hollywood, I mean Sophia Coppola said she lost funding for a project because her characters weren't likable enough. There's also a likability gap in business. This article references and experiment from Columbia Business School that studied the likability gap by doing a side by side comparison of resumes. So researchers took a female entrepreneur's resume and they made two identical copies of it. One they attributed to Heidi Rosen, who was the actual businesswoman behind that resume, and the other copy they just made up any random male name. They called him Howard, And then they asked a group of business school students to compare the resumes, and the students agreed that both Heidi and Howard were competent, but they said that Howard was deemed more agreeable in someone you'd want to work with, while Heidi the exact same resume, she was deemed to be aggressive, selfish, and not the ideal colleague.
Speaker 2: I think that likability is an impossible bind because you want to be viewed as a leader or a boss at work, and ultimately, in many ways, when you are a woman, you are looked at as bossy. And for me, I feel like a victim and a volunteer in the likability trap. I feel like I'm a highly sensitive person who can feel people deeply, and so if I say something that you don't like, I can feel it right away. I see it in your eyes and your body language. I can just feel it, and I want you to like me. And on the other hand, I want to be a competent leader who says what she believes. And one of the things I've learned at work as I've had more experience, is that sometimes you are the expert in the room. And I think as women, we have the propensity to look at other people as experts and taking ownership over your own expertise is really big. But I think likability will cost you jobs. It will cost you negotiation like salaries. It's very difficult to navigate. The only thing that has ever helped me with this is Alicia Menendez's book called The Likability Trap. She's a journalist at MSNBC and her book honestly changed my life. She's the one that called it the impossible bind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny that you mentioned that.
Speaker 3: I have her in my notes too, just to give her a shout out, because she's done incredible work on this topic.
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny, Danielle.
Speaker 3: You don't strike me as someone who struggles with likability or the desire to be liked.
Speaker 4: Really no, not from the outside.
Speaker 3: But I think Alicia talks about that as well in her book, Like you wouldn't assume that this has been a challenge for her either, but she says that she struggles with it quite a bit.
Speaker 1: Where do you see it show up in your life the most?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it shows up less and less as I get older, and less and less as I spend more time as a mom, because you honestly just run out of in space to care about what other people think about you. I don't have as much time. But something that Alicia brought up as well is that your relationship with likability is often a reflection of your mother's relationship with likability, and we learn this desire to be likable from our moms. My mom sought likability in an interpersonal context throughout her life, not necessarily in a professional context. But I definitely saw the ways in which she was aiming to appease or please people. And I saw that, and I think I wanted to run in the opposite direction, and I vacillated back and forth. I think in your twenties, it's really difficult to combat that desire to be likable. But now I'm feeling more firmly rooted, more confident, and I feel like I'm better equipped to combat this desire to be likable now.
Speaker 2: I like hearing that motherhood helped you with that. I think age has helped me with it. But motherhood is something I hear a lot from women that I interview. You just run out of bleeps, exactly.
Speaker 3: But I want us to also talk about solutions, because one thing I want to be wary of on this show and just in life, is dwelling on the struggles of womanhood, because I think that that can disempower us. To me, the solution here is being brave enough to be unlikable, because the more that we do that, we set an example for other women to do the same. I think it's also being wise enough to know that unlikable women are actually super relatable. We see that in films and TV shows all the time. And then, as Alisha would say, advocating for other women is another way to squash this likability complex.
Speaker 2: That to me is the most significant one, because it's really hard, especially at work. There's power in numbers, so when people support you in something, it's very powerful. I do think a lot of time we think about solutions as like incumbent upon us, and it's important to take responsibility for your actions, and it's important to do everything you can to be the solution. But I also think part of the solution is having men recognize this, Like I want to know how many men read Alicia's book.
Speaker 1: I think having a.
Speaker 2: Generation of men get more comfortable with women speaking in a certain tone, or like eliminating that word difficult or unlikable. We don't call men difficult unlikable, Diva, these are singular words for women.
Speaker 1: I think that will really help too.
Speaker 3: After the break, we'll hear from another proudly unlikable woman, pop provoking comedian Mary Beth Buron.
Speaker 1: By the way, those are her words, not ours.
Speaker 3: All right, y'all, we're back, featuring one of our favorite working comedians, the very funny Mary Beth Burn.
Speaker 2: Now you may have seen her on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, or touring with Chelsea Handler and Jenny Slate, even podcasting with Benito Skinner, or in her brand new YouTube comedy special called Thought Provoking. Mary Beth, Welcome to the bright Side.
Speaker 5: It is so good to be here. You are both so smiley, and I feel this energy. It's really uncommon, so it's great to be here.
Speaker 3: We're contractually obligated to smile thirty six times per episode, so thanks for noticing.
Speaker 1: Honestly, not the first time I've been called smiley? Are you ever called smiley?
Speaker 6: Never? Once? In my whole life?
Speaker 1: What are you called?
Speaker 5: I would say stonefaced, inscrutable, stoic. A lot of those adjectives are how I'm described dry.
Speaker 3: Have you always been that way? Or is this a persona that you put on when you're on stage?
Speaker 6: I have always been this way.
Speaker 5: I didn't even know I was doing like dry humor until people told me, and then now I watch I've seen some home videos of me as a kid. My dad like digitized all our home videos, and I was the exact same as a kid, very serious.
Speaker 3: Were you always performing in those videos? Did you have a mic? Were you doing stand up? From an early age?
Speaker 5: We had a lot of like performances in our front hall.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of like dances.
Speaker 5: There's some variety shows, and there is a video of me and my ex best friend dancing to Stop Right Now by the Spice Girls that has circulated online. So yeah, I have a deep history of performance.
Speaker 4: I would say Danielle, she's a theater kid. We have a live one kid. We got a live one folks.
Speaker 6: But I'm a theater kid who never did theater. Isn't that cool? I never did a play.
Speaker 5: I don't know why. I just was like, you know what, I think I'm too big time for it. I'm too big time for the play.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's more of an identity than it is an action.
Speaker 3: Yeahs, members of the review board for theater Kids, we permit you to join the club.
Speaker 4: You absolutely qualify.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Well, you're doing comedy now, that's what everybody knows you for. You have a comedy special titled thought Provoking, and I just want everybody to know how many titles you hold. When it comes to this comedy special. You wrote it, you directed it, you financed it, and you produced it.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 1: Why did you create thought provoking?
Speaker 5: I created thought provoking because I had a lot that I wanted to say, and I wanted to put it out as a complete work, and I didn't necessarily want to wait for the taste makers in their glass towers to give me permission to do that. Just sort of realizing what the trends are in comedy right now. It feels like there are a chosen few who are allowed and given the space to make their own creative decisions and get these massive deals at streamers, and it just felt like that probably wasn't going to happen, at least not in the timeframe that I wanted it to. So I just decided I wanted to do it my own way and be the creative force behind it and make it exactly what I wanted it to be. Which, you know, the people that give you money often have a lot of opinions. But I'm lucky enough to have a podcast that I do that helps me pay the bills, and I have some money saved where I was able to finance it, and I am really proud of it. There's a lot of things that you know I would do differently, but it was a good exercise, and like, this is the footage we have, this is what we're able to do with it, and how do we make that the best version of the special that we can?
Speaker 3: There's an incredible story behind the title. Thought provoking. It's kind of a dunk. Actually, can you elaborate please?
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: I was submitting a set for late night TV last year and I was told by the booker that my jokes were too trying to make a point, of course, and he asked if I had any jokes that weren't as much of that, so just less trying to make a point. And I just thought, you know what, I actually don't. I have jokes that make a point, and I'm comfortable with that. So if that's not the right fit, it's not the right fit, and that's okay.
Speaker 4: Do you think you would ever say something like that to a male comedian.
Speaker 5: I think male comedians maybe they're just not making a point and maybe that's something.
Speaker 1: We need to think about and maybe that's the point.
Speaker 2: Wait, but you have this joke, speaking of male comedians, you have this joke where you say men are so mad at me for speaking What were you talking about?
Speaker 1: Will you share more behind that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have started posting clips on social media and I posted some on YouTube, and the comments I was getting, I mean, they want me dead, they want women dead, or in the kitchen. I literally got a comment that was like, women are good at three things, blowjobs, being in the kitchen, and I don't even remember the third thing.
Speaker 6: I'm sure it was really profound.
Speaker 5: But there's still a lot of people online who are comfortable posting and saying things like that. So I knew this special would piss them off. And that's okay because I don't make comedy for them.
Speaker 4: Who do you make comedy for?
Speaker 5: I make comedy, as I say in the special, for girls, gay guys, and the straight men who love us. That's my demo and I'm really comfortable with that.
Speaker 3: In your special, you talk about one of the benefits being that you get to choose what you wear, and what female comedians wear has been the subject of much discussion. So can you talk about that calculus behind your wardrobe when you go on stage? How do you make that decision?
Speaker 5: There's a lot of thought that goes into what I wear on stage? Because you want to wear something that you don't have to adjust a lot because that can be distracting. So for this special, I really wanted it to be super intentional. And there are a lot of sort of unwritten rules about what people should and shouldn't wear on stage, and I think what's so fun about having more women and queer people in comedy is that we're really re writing rules and making it whatever we want it to be. And one thing I love about my audience is that they're excited to see what I'm wearing, and I've established that I'm going to turn a look when it's like my show. So I love that they support me in making comedy fashionable because we have a lot of work to do and it starts with us.
Speaker 3: Women don't always have to wear flannel shirts and jeans on stage. If you want to, that's fine, that's your prerogative totally.
Speaker 5: But if you want to wear a gown that is Kate Moss's from the nineties, you should also do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's important to share a little backstory there. It's sort of a thing that women have to quote ugly up on stage in comedy, and so I think there's been a few female comedians that have tried to push the envelope there, you being one of them.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it's because we were trying to fit into male spaces, and we were trying to do shows and be on lineups with people that were attracting a certain audience who don't align necessarily with what we're saying. Being a a female comedian is sort of political in and of itself, So for me it's yeah, if I have definitely had feedback when I'm performing at clubs or more traditional stand up venues, like, well, your clothes are distracting, and I think if you can't watch my stand up without being distracted unless you're totally blinded by how beautiful the outfit is, then I don't know if I'll ever get you on side, So best to just part ways amicably.
Speaker 3: Mary Beth, I hate to do this. I really don't want to have to call out your mom, but I'm gonna have to.
Speaker 5: Do it.
Speaker 3: Because when you were growing up, she told you that female comedians just aren't funny. All they do is talk about their periods. So is your whole career one big I told you so to your mom.
Speaker 5: You know, it's so funny because I remember it so vividly as a kid hearing that, and I was like, I guess that kind of makes sense. But I didn't think about it again for many, many years, and then I was like, oh my god, I can't believe that's like what I had been internalizing.
Speaker 6: And she definitely has.
Speaker 5: Like I say, she's apologized, but I think a lot of the comedy that was making it into people's homes back in the nineties from women specifically, it felt like they had to lean so hard into being a woman and that could be their only identifier and they can't really speak much outside of like being crass, which I am also crass, But it was probably hard to stick out in such a male dominated industry back then and feel really singular.
Speaker 6: So while I don't agree.
Speaker 5: And I know there were a lot of women even in the nineties totally breaking the mold, I understand that a lot of what she was probably seeing might have been tapping into that. But needless to say, I do have some jokes about my period in vagina, and she's totally okay with that as long as it's part of a larger body of work.
Speaker 4: A qword body.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I want to go back to something that you said about how people view comedians almost monolithically. I feel like that's especially true for female comedians. You, being a female comedian, I'm sure you sometimes feel like you're expected to carry the entire legacy of female comedians on your back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is this pressure of like, because you're a comedian, you sort of have to speak out on every issue. And I'm trying to be really thoughtful about speaking on things that I am educated on and things that I feel really passionate about. So sometimes you want to be like amplifying like every single issue. I really respect the people that have come before me because there were even fewer people in their corner who were helping uplift them. It was sort of like you either fit in with the guys or you don't survive. Whereas now, I think comedy is a lot more democratic, and we can produce independent shows, and we can put stuff out online and our audiences can find us, and I'm just really grateful that those people were there to pave the way. But for me right now, my approach is just like pick a few things that I'm passionate about, and you kind of like bread crumb it in with the funny stuff so that people are getting the information, but they it's like putting like sugar and medicine together.
Speaker 6: That's what I try to do.
Speaker 5: Even in the special, you know, I talk about a lot of different topics, but I try to make sure that there's enough dumb jokes in there, but that everything is of course trying to make a point.
Speaker 4: Don't want to be too thought provoking.
Speaker 6: God, for it can be tough. It can be tough.
Speaker 3: Maybe, but from the outside looking in, it seems like you've experienced a lot of success in such a short amount of time. I mean, you left Boston College, moved to New York City, quit your startup job to pursue comedy full time, and now you're crushing it.
Speaker 4: How does it feel to be that girl in comedy?
Speaker 5: That's very nice of you to say, I have chills. I think this industry is incredibly taxing, and there is a lot of rejection, and there's a lot of moments where, especially if you look at people around you, you can feel like you're not accomplishing enough, or you're not getting enough, or you're not doing enough. So I'm working on moments of gratitude and feeling accomplished because I actually moved to New York and I had no idea what I wanted to do, and I had a job for years, and then I decided to be a comedian, which is like so random and insane, and I every step of the way, my friends and family have been there for me one hundred and ten percent. Having that support system is so invaluable. And just like female friendship in general is such a beautiful thing that I think gets portrayed as like, you know, pinning women against each other and not being supportive.
Speaker 6: We're talking about each other, but that's not my experience.
Speaker 3: You have to be a little Delulu to have a lot, a lot Delulu. Yes, you come from a big family. Are you the most Delulu sibling in the bunch?
Speaker 6: One hundred percent?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's a big fam happen?
Speaker 5: I'm one of six, I'm the youngest of six, so three girls, three boys, and I'm just like, I'm very different from my siblings. I care about fashion, I like love brands. I'm like a capitalist pig but also a socialist and I love attention. That's that's my love language.
Speaker 2: It's so gen z to be capitalist and socialist all at the same time, you're very on trend.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm a Gemini, so I can be both, which is cool.
Speaker 2: So I'm a big fan of Ride, which is your podcast, Thank you, and you do it with your co host who's also a comedian, Benito Skinner aka Benny Drama and you guys are so funny.
Speaker 1: How did this come together?
Speaker 5: So this was during the pandemic Benito and I, Well, he was approached and he was asked if you wanted to do a podcast, and he was like, I will do a podcast, but only if I can do it with Mary Beth. And then we were thinking about what we wanted the podcast to be, and we wanted it to be really positive. We wanted it to be a space where we could come and talk about things that we really enjoy and just be earnest and genuine and we each bring one thing per week that we ride for and we really feel the love for this podcast, and I think having a platform where we just talk about things that we love, like our audiences when we perform live, we can feel that they're coming from a place of positivity and they're not sitting there with their arms crossed like ready to be cultural commentators. They're just like, let's have fun, let's be silly and crazy and tap into those goofy selves that I think women are sort of told to like suppress when we're teenagers. But this podcast is not about that. The podcast is about just like love and joy. And we do smile.
Speaker 6: Sometimes on the podcast, so there's some synergy there.
Speaker 1: You may all of us smile.
Speaker 3: I feel a major crossover event happening. I don't know between like The bright Side and Ride, because.
Speaker 6: I could see a collab. I totally see.
Speaker 4: It's just like you know, somepottico.
Speaker 1: A lot of comedians I know make comedy rounds in terms of stand up.
Speaker 2: Their mainstays at the laugh Factory or the comedy store or the improv and they and that's like their home.
Speaker 1: And you've really.
Speaker 2: Done it a different way. What is your advice in terms of doing it your own way?
Speaker 5: I would say the most important thing for me has been and this applies to comedy, but I think it could be applicable to other verticals as well. I am my own favorite comedian. And you should do the thing if you believe that, you are going to love your work the most, because if you don't believe in the work. It's actually impossible to convince other people to like sign on for it. So I just think that is so important. And if you have a burning desire, like let it simmer for a bit and see.
Speaker 6: If it keeps nagging at you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've blown up my entire life multiple times and take risks. The fear of it going wrong is worse than the reality.
Speaker 4: I think, blow it up. Blow it up.
Speaker 6: Unless you're joining the armed forces, that is like totally different. I can't speak to that. They might not work out.
Speaker 3: I love that you said blowing that you've blown your life up multiple times, like I have to, Yes, you got to blow your life up.
Speaker 4: If you're not blowing your life up, what are you doing?
Speaker 5: You're not living. That's what life's about. It's just like I really stand by that. Again, I'm in a position of privilege because I have a support system.
Speaker 2: But I thought you were gonna say you were in a position of privilege because you have a British boyfriend.
Speaker 6: Because I have a British boyfriend.
Speaker 5: That yeah, also true, doesn't really stuff just doesn't really affect me the same way.
Speaker 3: Do you ever make him like like reenact certain like scenes from period films, because that's what I would do if I had a British boyfriend.
Speaker 5: I would if he wasn't constantly getting cast in period films and TV shows.
Speaker 6: So I feel like I get to see it. Yeah, he's an actor.
Speaker 5: He always gets cast as characters who wear blouses, you know what I mean, Like, he's always in a blouse.
Speaker 4: We love a blouse king.
Speaker 6: I'm in a blouse right now, and you know what, it looks good.
Speaker 3: I honestly think the world would benefit from more blouse kings in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Is Lenny Kravitz a blouse king?
Speaker 3: He's a Did you see him wearing leather pants in the gym? Did you see that clip of him?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: You know what I did?
Speaker 5: And that's actually crazy behavior from someone who wore leather pants on stage one time and they split up the front. So let's just say I would not be running to wear leather at the gym for him.
Speaker 6: But I think it's great.
Speaker 2: Mary Beth, we have to take a quick break, but when we come back, we are going to be brave like you told us to, diving into some of your provoking thoughts.
Speaker 3: Okay, we are back with Mary Beth buron and we're gonna flip the script a little right now, and you're actually going to be in the host chair.
Speaker 4: MB.
Speaker 3: You have some thought provoking questions for us based on some of our bright Side themes like friendship, dating, aging, optimism, et cetera. So the floor is yours, Marybeth, please host our show.
Speaker 6: Okay, So, welcome to the bright Side. I'm Mary. That's brown.
Speaker 5: It's so great to be here with such a steam guests, and I think we should just dive right in.
Speaker 6: What are you saying? Do it?
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I've prepared some questions to provoke thots and everyone listening. You can also bring these to the group chat, bring these to the next Hinge date or whatever app you use, and see what people say, see if you're in alignment. So the first question has to do with dating. So my the question to you is would you turn into an ogre permanently if it meant that you got to be with the love of your life?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: For sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, I love Winds. I am such a sucker for big love. I'm holding out for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm all about goblin mode already. Okay, that's like not a stretch.
Speaker 6: This is This isn't even a departure.
Speaker 4: No Ogre mode is the next level up from goblin mode. So that's how you'll evolve. Yeah, I'm here for it.
Speaker 5: I will say waiting for big love is totally worth it. Thank you for that, even if you have to turn into an ogre.
Speaker 2: When I hear other people who find it tell me that, it makes me be okay holding out, So thank you.
Speaker 6: You got to be patient.
Speaker 5: But it's what we're on earth to do, is to like find our big love. So okay, great, you're both on the right side of history and pro ogre. Next question, if you did twenty three and meters and found out that you had a secret relative, who would be your first call?
Speaker 2: I did this, although I think I did ancestry dot Com, which is like maybe my biggest regret because now, like the government has my DNA.
Speaker 6: It's not it. They've probably had it before I have it.
Speaker 5: All.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess that's true. I'm like highly findable.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: There's like so many people on ancestry dot Com that they say I'm related to. It's like my fifth cousin. There's a million of them all over the world. I called my grandmother because she's the keeper of our family tree to see if any of this was legit.
Speaker 1: She was uninterested. She said she has her own ancestry dot com account and that I need to focus on my job.
Speaker 6: Well, she was like, this is old news.
Speaker 1: Don't leave me with this crap exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I actually did find out that I have a bonus brother, but it wasn't through ancestry. I haven't told you this story, so I guess i'll tell you.
Speaker 6: I'm seeded right now. This is huge.
Speaker 4: It was huge.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I've been an only child my whole life. Right I was twenty one, I was in college. I'm home for Thanksgiving. Break says to me, Simone, I need you to come sit down. We have some big news to share with you. My heart is pounding outside of my chest right now. This I'm like reliving that moment I thought somebody had cancer. I thought somebody was dying. He tells me, I had a son in college that I didn't know about, and you have a half brother, and I in that moment, like it just talk about blowing up your life, like it blew up my whole life. So eventually we got to meet and we connected and yeah, now I have a half brother that I only met when I was an adult.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's a I mean, that's huge for your whole family.
Speaker 2: It is pretty cool too that your dad sat you down and just told you, Yeah, it's not easy to share news like that.
Speaker 1: That must have been hard for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's like, there's there's some beautiful parts that come with it. There's obviously a lot of baggage, a lot of like where you know, just the mes seness of humanity comes in. But my dad and my brother I have a really good relationship now I think is as best as you could hope for. So yeah, it is possible. You never know, you could have a bonus relative out there somewhere.
Speaker 4: Folks.
Speaker 1: Thanks for sharing with us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's beautiful. And who is your first call? I have to know, Oh my first call?
Speaker 3: It was probably whoever was in my top eight at the time on my space. Yeah, one of my one of my best friends from college. I honestly can't remember it, but yeah, topic.
Speaker 6: Top eight was huge. I mean, talk about divisive.
Speaker 5: That was polarization, that was weaponizing social media. Last question, what's been the most surprising benefit of getting older?
Speaker 4: Oh, very bad, hard hitting questions. These are so bright side.
Speaker 6: I have to provoke the thoughts.
Speaker 1: I think. For me, it's been surrendering.
Speaker 2: I used to feel like I could control everything and that if I didn't do EXWY and Z, I wouldn't get a certain outcome.
Speaker 1: And I'm sort of free of that now.
Speaker 2: And it's that is freeing, like to know that only a certain amount is in your control and not act out of these deep emotions that you don't understand where.
Speaker 1: They're coming from. Yeah, Like when you're in.
Speaker 2: College, if there's like a guy that rejects you, you just go and you like text another guy. And that is such a like metaphor of like what not to do in life, you know, And so that reaction I don't have anymore. Like if I get rejected by a man or a job or anything, I don't go put my mess of emotions on anybody else.
Speaker 1: I can self regulate.
Speaker 6: Now that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: I love that. I think the most surprising benefit of getting older, I'm torn it's either day drinking or JOEMO, because day drinking is just fantastic. It's a revelation.
Speaker 3: You go your whole adolescent life thinking that you can only drink between the hours of nine pm to two am. But then when you hit a certain age, your world just opens up and you could have an aperall Sprits at eleven am or you know, and then keep drinking Mimosa's at.
Speaker 4: A bottomless brunch. Damn.
Speaker 3: I mean, all the timeline shift a bit, you know, we go to bed a lot earlier, and then Jomo too. I mean, Jomo is a huge benefit, the joy of missing out. I don't I don't feel the fear anymore.
Speaker 6: I'm so with you. I feel like Jomo is fab Mary Beth, what's yours?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 5: Besides being able to like go out to dinner whenever I want and not be stressed about my bank account, I think for me, it's just being more honest. Like I don't really care as much how things are perceived by others, and I feel like being honest. And I read about this in the Bell Hooks book All about Love, which like really reinforced my approach, which is just like I'm way more honest with people, and if if you want my opinion, I'm going to give you exactly how I feel. And if you don't like that, then it's not like I'm like out being a bitch to everyone. It's just like, I will give you my honest response, and that is something I wasn't always able to do, and I think that's been really fun to explore, just being upfront with people.
Speaker 3: This actually reminds me of something that we were just talking about earlier today, So it's this idea of the power of being unlikable. There is this Glamour article that got us thinking about this, and the headline is learning to be unlikable is the best thing I've ever done. Does that idea resonate with you?
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I'm not for everyone.
Speaker 5: And if I wanted a career where I was palatable and broad, which is fine and so respectable, I would have gone about things completely differently. But I just think that my comedy and my point of view can be really polarizing. And I know there's people that think I'm just like a mouthy bitch and that's your honest reaction to me, and that's fine. But I again like I'm repelling the right people because I don't care if they don't like me. But I think that that's something that does come with age, and I do credit a lot of unlikable female characters that have come onto our TV screens in the last decade.
Speaker 6: Because that's like, that was formative.
Speaker 4: Who are some of those unlikable female characters you're thinking of?
Speaker 6: The entire cast of girls comes to mind. Yes, Sex and the City.
Speaker 5: I saw this article recently about gen Z watching Sex in the City and how the views in it are outdated and the characters aren't likable. But I'm like, they're complex. They make choices that you feel are wrong. That's how everyone leads their lives. They're acting selfishly and they make mistakes, and I think that seeing that on TV is like an important part of accepting ourselves for who we are.
Speaker 4: What's your next blow up? Are you gonna? Are you planning to blow up your life?
Speaker 1: Maybe this is a new thing. Instead of blow up, it's blow up.
Speaker 4: Oh I love that it's your blow up.
Speaker 5: I will tell you, but you have to bleep in. I don't want you to cut it, but I want to spark intrigue. Okay, okay, keep the mystery, keep the mystery.
Speaker 2: I might.
Speaker 5: Stop, really I might. I'm not sure yet. I'm figuring it out. I'm figuring it out.
Speaker 4: That I did not see that coming.
Speaker 6: I was thinking, Wow, I have some stuff to figure out before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we can make some calls too for you, like we know something.
Speaker 6: I will need it.
Speaker 3: Thanks for sharing your next blow up with us, the next blow up, Mary Beth. I love what you're bringing to comedy. Thanks so much for bringing it to the bright side too.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for having me. Thanks for watching the special. I feel like that makes me feel really good. I'm going to ride that wave for the five minutes after we hang up. I'm going to celebrate that, and then I'll be back to my toxic thoughts. But this was so lovely, and thank you for creating a space where people can be smiley and talk about funny things and not funny things.
Speaker 6: And I love it. More women with podcasts, please you guys, seriously please, it's.
Speaker 4: A boys club out there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's enough, especially in the top ten. One of my favorite quotes is if you can make them laugh, you can make them listen. And that's really what I think you're doing, so thank you for that.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Mary Beth Barone is a comedian, writer, and actor. You can watch her latest special, Thought Provoking Now on YouTube.
Speaker 2: I love her dry sense of humor. She really tickles my funny bone.
Speaker 4: I know, she cracks me up, you know.
Speaker 2: I love how she created her own content and put herself on stage and wrote and produced and directed and financed it.
Speaker 1: It's really freaking hard to do that, and she didn't wait for permission. I feel like.
Speaker 2: In life, at any stage, there's all of these like false guardrails that are set up, like you have to do a certain thing to get into college, or do a certain you have to have a job as an assistant before you become a manager. And she just said, I'm not gonna wait to do it the way everybody else has. I'm gonna do it myself. And she gave her self permission. And I really respect that.
Speaker 3: You can see how she did that at several different turning points in her life. Every step of the way, she's giving herself permission, and she's not afraid to blow up her life. I'm still thinking about that phrase, blow ups over glow ups.
Speaker 4: You like that one? I love it.
Speaker 3: She's the queen of blow ups. I can't wait to see what she does next. I think if we watch her, we'll be amazed to see where she goes in Like the next ten years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it could take some twists and turns. She's highly intelligent, just like most funny people are.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, very true.
Speaker 3: All right, bright Side besties, we are featuring our April Reese's book Club pick on the show very soon. The author is Clara Lombardo and the book is the most fun we ever had. So send in your questions for Claire to Hello at the bright Side podcast dot com, and.
Speaker 1: You don't want to miss Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: We're talking about out what so many women on the internet are talking about birth control. Fortunately, we have an expert here obg y N and CEO of sanctum Med Wellness, doctor Jessica Shepherd is answering all of our questions about side effects, pain and how to feel confident in choosing a birth control method that's right for you.
Speaker 6: Oof.
Speaker 3: Such an important topic. All right, that's it for today's show. Listen and follow The bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: I'm Simone Voice.
Speaker 3: You can find me at simone Voice on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 1: I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 4: That's ro Ba y see you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Folks, keep looking on the bright side.