Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Love Herts. Kiwek Kwan has had quite a career, from childhood roles in Indiana, Jones and the Temple of Doom and The Goonies to a recent Academy Award win for Everything, Everywhere, All at Once. But now Keith finally stars as a leading man in the film Love Hurts. Love Hurts is a perfect date night movie with its mix of over the top action comedy and a ton of heart. Love Hurts Only at theaters February seventh.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jirelle Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pana, and Bobby Knavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 3: Welcome in Episode one fifty eight, What's Right with Nick Wright live on YouTube. Oh my goodness, I forgot to tweet out the link live on YouTube. I'm gonna do that right now, or at least retweet our show. We have a huge show today. I'm very excited. There's a lot to do. Also, this is not Dior's last podcast, but this is the last podcast that she is required to do in order to graduate from high school. Next week, Deora will not be with us as she has a graduation rehearsal on Tuesday, then an actual graduation on Thursday. However, she is going to be back the following week and throughout the summer because she has loved doing this so much, and we have negotiated a flat fee for podcast appearance as well. I've thought of one in my head.
Speaker 4: And have it.
Speaker 3: Also, today is a huge day for me because buying a new car after the TV show. Very excited about that. And in the second segment of the show, to honor Doorra's last day on the podcast as a high schooler, I'm going to tell a story from about forty five minutes ago.
Speaker 4: About just as a flat out.
Speaker 3: Last mischievous Yes, Sonny, but I must admit it kind of made me proud. Because I did the exact same thing in the same circumstances.
Speaker 4: That just didn't happen, and you just claim that it's true.
Speaker 3: I need to thank producer Daniel and others who made a sizzle reel for door of her appearances on the pod, and we will get to Game three of the Finals in a moment. However, speaking of Daniel, the Nuggets fan who works with us who was trolling me during the Lakers Nugget series, I got an email about him from a loyal listener that I would like to read the first half of chrit. I'm not going to read. The guy's last name, christ Fer emailed love your work. I listen every podcast and have for a while. You've even gotten me into starting to watch poker. Two quick thoughts. Your banter with Daniel comes off note not only as harsh, of which you've been accused, but also dictatorial, if not even tyrannical. It is fine to have an on air feud with someone, However, when that person is one's employee, to threaten to fire him or give him extra work that is not part of his job goes beyond a good natured sports feud. I suspect that you and Daniel have the kind of relationship where he knows you're getting and dates it as However, at least of this longtime listener and fan, your comments to him have been off putting, off putting and grading. So a few clarifications there. One is, Daniel is not my employee. Daniel is Gabe's employee. Gabe is the boss Daniel.
Speaker 4: I WHOA, You're Daniel's employee. Base.
Speaker 3: No, We're on two different sides of the board chart. That's first of all. Second of all, I suspect that you and Daniel have the kind of relationship where he knows you're only kidding and takes it as such. I gotta be honest with you, Chris, I'm not sure we do. Daniel and I don't know each other aside from this because we live on opposite sides of the country, which actually makes my behavior even worse. So I'm, you know, in an ongoing lifelong quest to become a better person. One of the things I'm working on is taking criticism, and he's starting that. I started it five days ago. Uh. They did nothing to do with the podcast. They didn't more do with your mother. But I'm trying to not take criticisms as attacks, and I've thought about it, and I think emailer Christopher has some good points. So I would like to almost unconditionally apologize to Daniel if anyone else felt that way. The reason I say almost unconditionally is I do think the broom emoji after Game two of the Lakers series was over the line. But aside from that, I take full responsibility for everything involving it, and I hope Daniel didn't actually get a signed extra work by Gabe, even though I texted Gabe on the side and said, please assign him extra work. Okay, before we get to Game three, here's what is not on today's show. What missed the cut for today's show is rest in Peace Man, one of the great wrestling villains of all time, The Iron Chic, has died at eighty one. DeAndre Hopkins visits the Titans and Treylon Burks Titans receivers like, eh, I don't know if we want him, And just moments ago, Dalvin Cook has been released by the Minnesota Vikings. The Dolphins are probably the obvious landing spot for him. Also, if you're watching on YouTube and it looks like I'm moving my arms oddly, that is because I foolishly, for the first time in months, worked out, Uh tried to get there?
Speaker 4: That was like such like like you tried to flex the real quickly? Yeah, guys, Like if it looks like I'm moving a lot, I do. I worked out recently.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, guys mortifying what I'm about to say. I for the first time in months worked out, and I seem to have done something to my arms that I should not have been able to do with how lightly I was working out, so I can't bend them properly. It's actually very embarrassing, almost as embarrassing as my halftime tweet of you can get the heat plus five and a half right now, justin FYI, only for them to get blasted in the second half, which brings us right to Game two, diora, go right ahead.
Speaker 4: The Nuggets made Game two look like a fluke.
Speaker 3: Game three, I should say, part of me brings us right to Game three. Go ahead. Sorry for interrupting.
Speaker 4: Apparently letting Yokic score wasn't a great idea. When the series are tired one one, the winner of Game three has won every series this year. Are you getting nervous?
Speaker 3: Little bit?
Speaker 4: And the first time you've ever admitted it.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, you gotta watch the games and evaluate them fairly. The only thing I disagree with that you said is apparently letting Yokic score wasn't a great idea that the let Yokic get forty and keep the assists under ten. I still think that game plan can work. Unfortunately, last night he did. He had the perfect game for what the Nuggets are trying to do thirty twenty ten, got the double digit assists, still scored efficiently at a high level, crushed the heat on the glass. And here's why I am getting I will admit getting a little nervous. That was, in my opinion, a must win game for Denver because the way they lost Game two, their coach calling out their effort in game two. If they didn't respond, then you would have to start to doubt whether they were able to respond. But the key part to that is and the reason it made me nervous, is key role player Bruce Brown did not play well. Key role player Kndavious Caldwell Pope did not play well. Michael Porter Junior, who has been the third best player on the t team throughout the year, once again had a brutal game and once again saw his minutes cut. So why did it make me more nervous? Because Jokich and Murray the two stars of this team, the transcendent superstar Nikola Jokic and the probably somewhat overqualified second option Jamal Murray. Flatley said, Nah, we got this, And that's what you need. Moments like that to win a championship. You need moments where the others, as Shaq calls them, don't have it. You're on the road and your stars carry you. And the fact that they both had thirty point triple doubles, they both did it efficiently, that they both answered the bell every single time. That's what wins titles. So right now, do I feel like the Heat are dead? Of course not. But do I feel like the Nuggets retook control of the series. I do, And I believe Jimmy's gonna have a monster Game three and that we're gonna go back to Denver tide to two. But the fact that Yokich and Murray dug down deep and just both played exceptional games is ominous for the Miami Heat, and for the Miami Heat, they are the They went to the wrinkle of starting Kevin Love then they found him mostly unplayable the rest of the way. They don't have any backup option for Bam there. I know it because they are still trotting out their Cody Zeller. Even if it's only for six minutes, that needs to be zero minutes, and so there are real reasons for concern for the Heat. Also, let me give Michael Malone some credit here. This was a game you had to have and he played minutes accordingly, meaning Yo Kitchen Murray forty four minutes each. Now what will that mean for Game four, that's the only game of the series on one day rest. It maybe the Heat take advantage of a slightly tired Yo Kitchen Murray in Game four. I think that's on the board. But Yogicchen Murray were outstanding. And that is how you win a title In a night that KCP, Michael Porter Junior and Bruce Brown go a combined three of sixteen and one of eight from three. You control the entire game, well the final two and a half quarters of the game, because your stars play like stars. And I understand Heat fans are upset at some of the officiating, particularly in the second quarter, and I didn't think it was good. I tweeted Tony Brothers having himself a moment here, But that doesn't explain away the third quarter when the Nuggets took full control of that basketball game, and the Heat were lucky to only be down fourteen after three. It could have been twenty and the Nuggets were great, most notably obviously Jokicchen Murray. So, yeah, if you picked the Heat like I did, of course you're a little nervous, all right.
Speaker 4: Next, you've said Jokic needs to prove it in the finals to be the best in the world. The Joker became the first player ever to record a thirty, twenty and ten finals triple double. Are you seriously gonna wait for him to get a ring to crown him?
Speaker 3: Well, these are to me two different discussions, right, So, has Jokic validated those MVPs? Sure, I still really don't like last year's because they were the sixth seed and that's not how we've done it in the past. But if he hadn't won last year, he would have had a great, even better case to win this year. So set that aside. Has Jokic unquestionably proven that this is not a regular season phenomenon that his offensive game translates to deep playoff runs absolutely, and anyone saying he had already done that is just lying he hadn't. Now you can say it wasn't his fault. You can say it's foolish that I need to see it, But that's the standard I've had with everybody. Everybody in the NBA got to see you do it on a deep playoff run before you get that this is either the best or the second or third best player in the world status that Luca, as much as I loved him, needed that Western Conference run carrying his team Western Hemmends finals run. And I understand Joker had been to one conference finals prior to this year, but he also played poorly in those conference finals. Lebron made a finals very early, Durant made a finals very early. Steph the year everyone was crowning him, won the title. So asking you to go on a deep playoff run is not unfair. What would be unfair would be if the Heat come back and win, If I'm like, if someone me or anybody's like, see told you no, no, no, that's now off the board. Jokic has answered every question. He's been exceptional in every round of these playoffs, he is averaging thirty three, fourteen and nine on almost sixty percent shooting. These finals. He's having an all time postseason real quick? Does that make him the best player in the world? Though? For that, I do need them to finish the job, because the guy who going into the playoffs I would have said is the best player in the world was Yannis. Yannis got beat by the Heat. If Jokic gets beat by the same Heat team, I don't know that it's then fair to be like, oh, okay, because Jokic played them. Later Jannis loses his belt, Jannis will have the same number of MVPs would have a ring in. Jokic wouldn't still in his prime. So has Jokic proven the doubters wrong? Of which I was wrong one of them? Sure? Am I ready today June eighth to say he's the best player in the world? Not yet. Would like him to finish the job for that, But at worst he's second best. That's what he's earned. And Vegas would tell you, the odds would tell you, because they're overwhelmingly likely to win the title, that he's going to get that title here in the next week. That's your follow up. Go ahead, do your okay? Goat what's up?
Speaker 4: Nothing?
Speaker 3: Okay, go ahead?
Speaker 4: Were the Joki Murray double thirty point triple double is more impressive than Lebron and Kyrie's forty point games in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Oh I, they were very different because Lebron. Here's the thing. Lebron and Kyrie did it in elimination games. If they hadn't done it, they lose. And I'm gonna say no, but they're in that vicinity. And they are certainly in the vicinity of a lot of the Shaq Kobe games from that three pat And that's why Nuggets fans should be so excited, is you have this kind of It's not a new age Shack in Kobe, because as good as Jamal Murray is, he's not what Kobe was, especially for those third titles. Jokic is a very different player than Shank, but has similar impact, not quite the same level. Again, I think people forget what Shank did in those finals. We don't have to go over it, but I mean, the guy was across those three finals thirty five fifteen, four assists, three blocks across three NBA finals. But this is a path to contending for a title every single year, and you now have proof of concept that as long as these two guys are healthy and still in their primes, you're going to be right there every single year. Uh. And I you know, I've talked a lot about finals MVPs. I'm of the belief that you should not have to win the title necessarily to be the finals MVP. The first ever finals MVP Jerry West lost in nineteen seventy four. Kareem should have won it over John Havlichk in a loss. Lebron should have won it in twenty fifteen over Andrea I Guidala in a loss. Right now, it would appear to me it would be shocking to me if at the end of these finals, no matter who wins, if I don't feel that Nikola Yoki should have been the finals MVP. Now the voters historically have not agreed with me on it, but that would ultimately be a pretty hilarious ending to this if the Heat come back and win. But Jokic, who my biggest complaint on has been that we change the rules for him if he ends up winning a finals MVP in a loss, something Lebron should have done in twenty fifteen, but only four of the eleven voters voted for him. That might be the basketball gods kind of sticking one to me a bit, But right now, it would be shocking to me if at the end of this series I thought anyone else deserved Finals MVP. All right.
Speaker 4: Next, Chris Paul is set to be a free agent after it was rumored the Suns will wave him. Well, CP three be the next great Lakers point guard now that Pat Bev is gone.
Speaker 3: I think it's absolutely on the board. I don't like the Pat Bev stuff. And Pat Bev also had a ridiculous tweet about me the other day, but I'm not gonna engage on it. Uh So, the Suns. The new salary, the new CBA has put the Suns in a bit of a pickle. Durant's on a Max, Bookers on a Max Eighton's on a near Max, and Chris Paul was scheduled to make thirty million, only half of that was guaranteed, so they wave him. He gets fifteen million. They have fifteen million on their books and now there is a possibility he comes back to Phoenix at five million, and then they save ten right, that's how that would work. I don't think that's going to happen. I think he is going to Los Angeles, probably the Lakers, maybe the Clippers. Now, if you're Chris Paul and injuries have been your biggest concern at this stage of your career, Both of those teams have injury concerns. But the Clippers injury concern is so much greater because of Kawhi and at this point, Paul George to a degree, and he has a great relationship with Lebron. I think Chris Paul and the Lakers. Going super old Chris Paul to the Lakers does make a lot of sense. I also think the Lakers need to treat next season. Take a page out of Greg Popovich's book, and Lebron and Chris Paul need to be twent eight to thirty two minute of a game. Guy's sixty game a year. Guys, You've got to find a way to get them to the finish line. At their age, the health concern would be massive. You would have two of Lebron and Chris Paul two of next year, probably the four oldest players in the league. But Lebron showed you this year that he was willing to play off the ball more and a starting five of CP three Austin, Reeves, Lebron, Ruye, and Ad is interesting. It also would mean the Lakers likely move on from D'Angelo Russell, which is something I would encourage them to do. Either way, I'm not slamming the door on Chris Paul back to Phoenix because Isaiah Thomas, the original Isaiah Thomas, went on TV yesterday and said, don't slam the door on him going back to Phoenix. That's noteworthy because Matt Ishbia, the new owner of the Suns, reportedly wanted to hire Isaiah and then there was blowback on that so he didn't. But when if you remember when Jokic pushed Ishbia in round two, sitting next to him was Isaiah. He seems to be an informal advisor, so he does have inside information. So the Suns likely want to bring Chris Paul back. The question is is that where Chris Paul wants to be or does he want to go to LA potentially to play with Lebron. See if Chris Paul can get his first ring. That's what I think is gonna happen. I'd certainly rather be in that business. If I'm the Lakers than a Kyrie Irving on a Max business, So I think that is something to watch. I don't think he'll be back with the Suns, but I don't think it's zero percent. All right, last tour it overtime. We went a little We're going a little long today, but that's fine. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: On Tuesday, News wrote that the Live Tour and the PGA were merging. Then a Saudi soccer team offered Messi one point six billion dollars. Can you explain to me in the rest of the sports world why this matters?
Speaker 3: All right? There are better people, people, far better qualified to talk about the Live Tour and the PGA Tour. There's plenty of podcasts you can listen to of people that golf is their area of expertise. I'm not. I think I have a cursory understanding of it from listening to those podcasts, so I'm not just gonna regurgitate that. The only thing I want to say about the Messy deal is shout out Mike Ryan of the Dan Leviottard Show and Metal Arc Media for having the Messy story for a year. He has been dead right on this scooping insiders globally, and he took a victory lap yesterday and he should have. Why this matters to the rest of the sports world is very simple. Is Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund going to purchase a major American sports team? They are now in the PGA Tour, they kind of own it. Are they going to buy a baseball team, a basketball team or a football team? We had a Russian oligarch buy a basketball team in proker Off and you know, to quote Logan roy from Succession money wins and there was a lot of standing on principle, trotting out nine to eleven victims families done by the PGA Tour, and then they bent the need of the money. Is there a dollar amount this sovereign wealth fund in Saudi Arabia could offer the NFL to where they could own a team. I think dismissing it as an impossibility would be naive. I don't think it's the likely outcome, but I think it's on the board, and in European soccer it's already happened, so it absolutely could happen. Here. Is there something you wanted to ask? So I don't what this means for golf, go to the golf experts on what it means for the rest of the sports world is fascinating. And the other piece of the messy news with them, they already got Christiano Ronaldo. I think offering Messi one and a half billion for a few years, will there be a major American basketball player at some point that takes that money. I don't think they have the infrastruatetion ructure of a basketball league like they do a soccer league. But if they were to build one up, and you know, they offered Tiger Woods eight hundred million dollars to join the Live Tour, he turned it down on principle, and then the PGA merged with him. Tiger's probably furious they offered. Rory says they didn't offer him money, but the reports were it was, you know, a few hundred million. What the PGA Tour is going to do to make those guys hole. As a separate story, but if in six years they were to go to whoever the face of the NBA is in six years win bin Yama and say, hey, you're maxed out at sixty million a year in the NBA, We'll offer you six hundred million for one year to come over here. Someone probably says yes. So it's more of a long term story than a short term story. But folks will set aside principle for the right dollar amount. And one of the reasons that I stayed out of a lot of the moral finger wagging on the live stuff was I thought about, now, they wouldn't want me because I'm not a golf guy, not like the you know, I like golf, but I wouldn't be on your top thirty broadcasters you wanted for golf. But if the live tour had kept going, would there have been a dollar amount that they came to me on and offered me that I'd be like, I have to say yes. The answer is probably yes. Now you can say, Nick, that makes you a bad person, that's a moral failing, all of those things. I'm just being honest. Could there have been a dollar amount where I'm like, yeah, I'll do it, probably, And so I understood the golfers doing it, But now I think it might touch other sports. It might just take a bit. So there's my thoughts on that. We play a quick game of Nick Wright public Defender, play a game of Wright ends. Do you have the whiteboards today. Good job and door a doora diora.
Speaker 4: Stop lying to people are giving me a bad name.
Speaker 3: All let the audience decide.
Speaker 4: I told you weren't allowed to do that.
Speaker 3: Well, all, let the audience decide we do that next. Well's right.
Speaker 5: If your football team had one option in their playbook, the results probably wouldn't be great. The same could be said for your investments. Cibo index options like SPX and xsp can help expand your investing strategies with cash settlement and potential tax advantages. If you're ready for a more dynamic game plan, head to Better with Options dot com. Cibo Life is better with Options.
Speaker 3: Could be too.
Speaker 5: There are risks associated with Cibo company products. Review the disclosures and disclaimers at cebo dot com slash us Underscore Disclaimers.
Speaker 4: Welcome Back, Episode one, Mario.
Speaker 3: Well, hold on, what does it say right above that in all bold before?
Speaker 4: I told you we're not doing that?
Speaker 3: So I have a storytell about.
Speaker 4: Maybe this is my last podcast and I.
Speaker 3: Was Door's age. So the only office job I've ever had was an internship at UH. I'm not gonna say the company a large company that was based in Kansas city. Thus, I the summer between yeah, the summer between when I was doors age, actually summer between senior high school and freshman year of college, I got a job selling stakes door to door, uh that my parents hated and didn't want me to get. But I had to get it because I had been arrested and I didn't tell them, and I had to pay my friends back who bailed me out of jail, and then pay for a lawyer right before college. And it was a terrible idea to not tell my parents because I got the world's worst lawyer and then ended up on probation my first two years of college. And it was just just terrible decision. Tied it from my parents, and they of course found out anyway. Eventually the next summer summer between freshman and sophomore year, I had an internship major company office shop and it was miserable. Got in like did answered emails, and I did it for like a week and I was getting paid for it, and then I got an email asking me on like a Thursday, like my Thursday or Friday of my first week there, asking me to go to a different building across the campus of this big office complex to meet with someone. I thought I was in trouble, and I went there and they said, so, here's the deal. Unfortunately the person you report to has been let go. So on Monday you're gonna be reassigned. We don't know if your little cubicle is gonna have to move or what, but you're gonna be reassigned on Monday. You can go home for the day. So it must have been a Friday. You can go home for the day. You'll get paid for the whole day, and you'll get an email. Monday. I said, Okay, showed up Monday, no email, showed up Tuesday, no email, and I'm just sitting there reading old Bill Simmons columns, just nothing to do. And by midweek I realized, oh, they forgot to reassign me. I probably should tell them, but instead I was like, nah, I just need to clock in, be here, and be and then clock out at five. And what I do in the intervene intervening six hours is my business. They had a little room. I look back on it now, I shouldn't have been doing any of this. It was twenty years ago. They had like on the bottom floor of the building. They had three little small rooms by where the restrooms were that I now know were like, uh, breastfeeding rooms. There was just a room with like a very very comfortable chair that reclined. I'd go in there and take naps. Across the street from where I was working was a movie theater, and I went and saw every movie there was. It just every day for two months. For two months, I clocked in, hung out for like an hour, checked to see if my you've been reassigned email came. It didn't come. I would leave, go to lunch, go see a movie, whatever, come back. With like two weeks left in my internship, I got an email from someone saying, Hey, I think you're supposed to be working on my team. Can you come meet with me. I met with them. They were like, yeah, we'd like to do this project. I'm like, oh, no problem. They're like, so, who have you been reporting to the last couple of months? And I just like did like a shell game of ah blah blah blah and subject changed. It never happened, like, never came back to bite me. Did my last two weeks did the project done? So imagine my surprise plus a little bit of proud parent when Dior Today on the way in to the podcast, says, Oh my gosh, there's so many movies I haven't seen that I want to see. She says Guardians of the Galaxy. She says Avatar too, and then she says, oh, I saw the Mario movie. And I'm like, when'd you see the Mario movie? Or No? I said, who'd you go to the Mario movie with? And what'd you say to you?
Speaker 4: Era myself?
Speaker 3: She said myself.
Speaker 4: I see movies by myself all the time.
Speaker 3: And then I said where'd you see it? And we don't have to name the place, because when do your is not doing the podcast, she volunteers at a senior living facility and she said, oh, at the one by such and such where I work. As I go, really.
Speaker 4: Where I used to work?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, where you used to work before you went to a different location because that one what it wasn't fitting you. And I was like, mmmm, this.
Speaker 4: Is a really annoying conversation.
Speaker 3: So my wonderful scoot during these two months of you know, her project, was it possible that when I thought she was working six hour shifts there were three hour shifts and catching a little Mario movie matinee, going getting a bagel hanging out? Is it? This is safe space? You can be honest with me here.
Speaker 4: No, it's not.
Speaker 3: Are you actually annoyed with me? I am proud of you. I you know what, at your age, you're supposed to get in a little bit of trouble. You're supposed to be a little mischievous. You got it naturally, you got it from me. I'm not upset. You can just tell me a little early like I want to go see the Mario movie. I want to go see that. It's okay, won't do public defender? Should I do a public defender for you? So go ahead?
Speaker 4: Mario Chalmers, Chalmers, former member of the Miami Big Four, said well this, I feel like Lebron is the greatest player to ever play this game, but he's just not my goat. Only one man could defend this. It's time for Nick Wright public defender.
Speaker 3: It's very easy, my client, Mario Chalmers, just put to words what the vast majority of people think and feel. They're just afraid to actually say it because they think they'll be made fun of. The majority of people deep down know and recognize Lebron's the greatest player ever. They just don't want to call him the goat. They know that there is not act actually a strong argument anymore that Michael Jordan had a greater career than Lebron. But Michael Jordan has become such a Paul Bunyan like figure in pop culture, in media, and in the hearts and minds of sports fans, they just want to always be able to call him the goat, even if they don't actually think he's the greatest player to ever play. So why would you attack my client Mario Chalmers for simply being honest, for simply putting to words what so many other people actually believe. But instead they twist themselves in logical pretzels by saying things like six to zero and never lost in all of this other nonsense, when the reality is they believe this Lebron's the greatest to ever do it, but Jordan's the goat. That's what folks at this point truly believe. Mike just had the courage to say it. We rest our case. How'd I do? How'd I do? Did?
Speaker 4: Fine?
Speaker 3: You can't be mad at me?
Speaker 4: Yes I can, Yes, I can.
Speaker 3: Actually you can't be mad at me. I think there's a part two of the Public Defender.
Speaker 4: Well known sports broadcaster uses his platform to bully his kids. Defend your client, Nick Right.
Speaker 3: Defend my client, Nick Right. What my children right now may perceive as bullying is actually what is in my client's eyes, bonding and tough love and quietly, let you know, letting them off the hook for possible misdeeds by being like, hey, we've all been there, whether this was a whether my assumption here is correct or not in the latest allegtion instance of bullying, what you now know is oh, okay, So that other thing that whatever happened that he doesn't know about, I don't have to feel guilty about. I am actually trying to relieve any stress or anxiety that my children have by showing them in a very public way that we are all different levels of flawed people that make different levels of flawed choices.
Speaker 4: Wonderful father of the year. Let's play a game of writings. Okay, okay. So Bill's quarterback Josh Allen is this year's Madden cover athlete. Is Alan bound to be cursed or de mahomes break the curse? Last year for Josh Allen, the Madden curse.
Speaker 3: Is oh h for Josh Allen, the Madden curse is in slash A not applicable because the Madden curse. Typically, the reason the Madden Curse has existed in the past is because you get on the cover of Madden after you have a career year, and because of that, It's not that it's a Madden curse, It's that the overwhelming odds were you were gonna have a down year either way. Josh Allen is not getting on it after a career year. Josh Allen is getting on it after a down year. Josh Allen is getting on it after a three month semi slumped in the season and then getting rolled at home scoring ten points in a playoff game in round two. So I don't think that the Madden curse is gonna apply to Josh Allen. I don't understand the possible justification for putting him on it over Jalen Hurts or Joe Burrow. If you don't want to put Mahomes on it, because Mahomes has already been on it twice, once with Brady and once by himself, so be it. And if it has to be a quarterback, then obviously Jalen Hurts or Joe Burrow deserve it more. But I don't think the Madden curse is actually going to impact Josh Allen.
Speaker 4: Next Damian Lillard is talking a lot about other teams for someone who is loyal. Last week he joked about going to the Lakers, and now he's saying he's interested in Miami and Brooklyn. Next year, Damian Lillard will play in Okay.
Speaker 3: So here's the thing, Dame, you know, was I don't want to see he was baited into this, but he was asked if they were to trade you, where would you want to go? When he said Miami in Brooklyn. I do not think that he is starting the year on another team. So next year, Damian Lillard will play for the Blazers. Does he finish the year on the Blazers? I doubt it. I shouldn't say I doubt it. I'm not sure of it. But I don't think he's being traded this summer. I think it would be smart. Dame has only won three playoff games in the last four years. He's only won four playoff series in his entire career, and unlike other guys who have themselves to blame for that, Dame has been an awesome playoff performer. But they have not put the right team around him. And in all of NBA history, let me ask you this Tojora, in all of NBA history, how many guys under six ' four do you think have been the best player on a champion? NBA has been around seventy seven years. How many guys under six feet four inches tall have been the best player on a champion? Twelve two Steph and Isaiah Thomas. That's it point there is you're not really supposed to be able to win the title with the guy dame size as your best player. I understand. If he doesn't care about that, then more power to him to stay in Portland. But if he wants to have a chance to have a deep postseason run, he has to get out of there. And I think he knows this at that point. This point, even if they were to trade the number three pick, he one of the guys he mentioned was Mikale Bridges. They call up Brooklyn say, we'll give you the number three pick for McHale Bridges. That does not make Portland a championship team. It just doesn't. So but I don't think he's gonna force the trade. I think Portland should talk to him. I think for Portland trading Dame getting draft picks and younger players because Dame's turning thirty three or just turned thirty three, and building around the number three pick, be it Brandon Miller or Scoot Henderson and Shaden Sharp and what you get for Dame makes a lot of sense. Scoot Henderson someone I think you'd like diora like as a player. He's your age. He is just he's not super, he's like six to two, but just a crazy athlete and plays with this level of athleticism and intensity. I think you'd really like him. You should google Scoot Henderson and some of his highlights later. I think you'd like the way he plays. I think you'd find him exciting, is I guess what I'm saying. And the fact that he's your age, I think you would think it's cool. All right? Next? Okay next.
Speaker 4: Kevin Durant tweeted, I don't think Jokic wants or cares to be a star. Go to work, go home, FaceTime his horses and hop in the pool. But then he deleted it. Katie's deleted his tweet because you think he's coming to Denver.
Speaker 3: Now he's not going to Denver. I did not understand a so, hold on, I have to write this. I have to do I forget sometimes that we have to do write ends. Kat deleted his tweet because and I wrote three question marks. It was such an innocuous, non controversial tweet. I have no idea why he deleted it.
Speaker 4: It's a little bit controversial. I wouldn't call it controversial, but like it could give him some beef with Yokis you know so but he was, but it didn't also like he's.
Speaker 3: Been nothing but complimentary of Jokic, and I didn't view this as an insult at all. I just think he was saying that. I mean, there's the tweet. I don't think Jokic wants or cares to be a star, go to work, go home, face onime, his horses hop in the pool. I actually think that's how Durant feels too, not necessarily the face on his horse is not in the pool, but that he loves playing ball and doesn't necessarily love all the stuff that goes along with it. So I didn't understand why he deleted it, all right.
Speaker 4: Next okay, Pro Football Reference officially listed the prince that was promised as the Trevor Lawrence nickname and credited you. This is your greatest professional achievement since.
Speaker 3: I mean, honestly, my greatest professional achievement since birth. You put anything exactly right? Yeah, I mean this is now. Oh no, oh man.
Speaker 4: Oh you oh, You're gonna have expo on your pants to get your new car today.
Speaker 3: Threw all my pants. See, you want to make fun of me for what's before I finished answering this question, what's in my backpack door?
Speaker 4: I don't think it's that embarrassing. He has an extra jacket in his bag because he didn't want to wear this jacket today and I convinced him to wear it, but he said that he has to wear a different one to the car dealership, so he looks like more of a professional.
Speaker 3: I just want to look fancier when I buy my new car, very excited about it.
Speaker 4: You're gonna tell everyone what card is.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I'm not gonna do that. Okay, it's uh, it's a car befitting a man of my stature. It's a nice car I had then no, I had, and don't say the brand of the car that we currently have to or I had I bought during the pandemic what had always been like one of my dream cars, and everyone warned me against it, saying, and we'll get to the Trevor Lawrence stuff in a moment, saying it's going to be in the shop every two months. Don't get it. They're a wreck. They that they have so many issues. This sensor goes out, that sensor goes out. And I ignored them, and everyone could not have been more correct. That's that car. I have had it for less than three years, has been in the shop twelve times, twelve times, and it's just super nice car. But I just this last time, I just I just literally left the dealership shop where it was getting worked on and drove down the street to a different dealership and started looking at cars. I was like, I just I can't deal with this. The oh, show them what you drew about the Trevor Lawrence thing. Deer drew a picture of a prince and said, the promised prince. So here's the thing about the Trevor Lawrence thing. This now you know, is etched in stone for all of history. I spoke it into existence and show the control room. I feel like you guys need to apologize because last year, during our gambling show. You guys kept trolling me about the Jaguar stuff. You kept saying I was hurting the credibility of the show by always picking the Jags and talking about the Jags. Thank you, Daniel. That's my guy, always has been. But I always picking about the Jags, talking about the Jags. And now he is. He will during a game next year, probably broadcast by Sparrodites, because it's not gonna be the you know, the number one or number two CBS game, he is going to be called the Prince who was promised and it's because of me. So yes, thank you, guys. I appreciate that that wasn't, by the way, a shot at Sparrow Did's. My point is he's just he's not doesn't get the nance games. That's all I'm saying. Gabe's walking out the room. He's disgusted with me.
Speaker 4: Next, you are going to the Beaumont Steaks this weekend. We know you're a gambler, So your pick for the Beaumont Steaks is I.
Speaker 3: Don't haven't picked yet, but I'm getting there early. I'm bringing my younger daughter and her best friend and they are gonna gamble, and I am gonna gamble and I'm gonna drive fancy new car to the Belmont Steaks. I'm so excited about it, and I am going to you drew a picture of a horse and a picture of money. That's well done, Deor. I like that.
Speaker 4: Uh, I should be an artist.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to be at the Belmont Stakes. Dress up, bring a fat wad of cash, randomly bet on horses.
Speaker 4: Okay, and let's make a deal now. Then, okay, you have to give me five percent of your earnings.
Speaker 3: Are you going to cover five percent of the losses? If I know I'm not so you want a five percent free roll?
Speaker 4: Yes? I do. If my little sister can be there gambling at nine years old, I think I can get some of the shares.
Speaker 3: You bring up A good point deal. You're in for five percent? You know what, I'll tell you. You could have gotten ten.
Speaker 4: I was gonna try. We'll talk after all.
Speaker 3: Right. What's the follow up question?
Speaker 4: What would you name your racehorse?
Speaker 3: If I had a racehorse, what would I name it?
Speaker 4: So you gotta keep in mind, Prince, that was promised.
Speaker 3: No, it wouldn't be that. That's Trevor Lawrence. Uh, you gotta keep in mind. Don't no, I wouldn't name my racehorse donkey that you want it to sound either cool or funny. When the announcer if you got to envision your racehorse winning a big race, and then he says, and down the stretch they come secretariat, who's the racehorse? Ever man a war affirmed wins the Kentucky Derby. So you either want it to sound regal or funny or have a sentimental thing. I would name my racehorse woot scoop. That's what I would name it. And every time I saw it, I would think of you when you were a little girl. And then it would win a race and they would say, and woot scoot win's the War of the Rose.
Speaker 4: You're gonna miss everyone now if this is my life, Pods.
Speaker 3: Not your last podcast. Quick break answer your listener questions. Next, what's right?
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first, Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, so check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States Savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 4: Welcome back, Episode one fifty eight. We're going to read your fan questions now, Noah Rodrigo. Rodriguez asked where do you think CP three should go. I think the Spurs is a good fit. He can help out Whimby in positions to score and can be a good veteran leader for the young guys for a year or two.
Speaker 3: I it'd be a great for the Spurs. I think it's a bad fit for Chris Paul if he's trying to win a title. Even if Wimby is better than people expect, which seems impossible, they're not going to be ready to win a title in the next couple years and Chris Paul doesn't have many years left for the Spurs. I absolutely would go after him, and I think it would be a great way to develop Wimby. I would even overpay to get him, but I don't think it makes sense for Chris Paul.
Speaker 4: Next Ryan, why said Hey, Nick, and Diora. The Nuggets seemed to be in a position to go on a run next year regardless of the outcome of this finals. Who do you think could be another.
Speaker 3: Other another up and coming team they wrote.
Speaker 4: It wrong, another up and coming team to make a swash.
Speaker 3: I think that next year it's hard to find a dark horse. Memphis is a mess. I don't think Sacramento's ready for a hugely keep Minnesota. I don't trust New Orleans. Zion's dealing with a lot of stuff off the court. If you can even get on the court, have you seen any of the Zion stuff? He did a how are you doing that? With her neck's face? He did a gender reveal ginger reveal, yeah for his girlfriend, Oh, a gender gender girlfriend's pregnant, and then a uh, I don't know her name, but she seems to be a I don't know if she's an adult film or only fans or someone who was not the person in the gender reveal started tweeting about she and Zion having a very close relationship and it's not great. He has I think some girl trouble going on and he can't stay on the court and not great. So New Orleans not the team out east. I don't think Cleveland or the Knicks are gonna take some big leap. I ain't so. I actually don't think there's a dark horse next year. The following year, I think Cleveland could be in position if Lebron goes there. I also think it is very hard right now to figure it out because we have to see how the new CBA, which teams are gonna say screw it, don't care about the second apron. We'll deal with the consequences, and which teams are gonna try to pare down salaries, which could then allow for some of the teams that have space to have an influx of talent that we didn't expect.
Speaker 4: All Right, next, Matt asks should I fire Djokovic?
Speaker 3: Good job, that's good. That's a hard one to pronout. Go ahead, I'm I'm complimenting you. That's a hard one to pronounce. Go ahead, start over.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not gonna say okay plus one seventy five tomorrow with my refunded natal.
Speaker 3: Do I was dole money.
Speaker 4: See the thing is, that's what I was about to say, and then I was like, I got it wrong last time, so I have to say.
Speaker 3: No, Alcarez is gonna win. I told you that, Matt, and that is not a listener or viewer. That is assuredly our producer, Matt. Matt, you know what, I'll make you a deal, buddy. If you the I mean, we really shouldn't do this, but if you actually were considering betting on Nadal I was at plus one seventy five, I was considering betting on Alcarez at minus two hundred. We can I'll just give you plus one ninety and I'll take the other side of it. If that's something you want to do, you can text me on this. Oh go ahead, Matt. No, we're not gonna do a car's thing or anything. I just assume this would be a friendly you know, fifty or one hundred bucks or something. But well, you wouldn't want the car I own right now by the one I'm gonna get tonight. You might, but no, Algaz is gonna win. Save your money, all right?
Speaker 4: Next doit? Ask what will I miss the most about the show when I'm done? Hmmm, I think I'll miss not getting bullied every day so much.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, give a sincere answer. What will you miss? You know what? We can save that for your actual last show.
Speaker 4: No, this is my last show.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, you promised.
Speaker 4: I did not promise.
Speaker 3: You said you were gonna come back and we were gonna do some more shows this summer, and that we also have to do like a real like farewell door show. We have to do a whole thing. You can't just dip. That's not allowed. I'm letting you miss next Tuesday.
Speaker 4: You're letting me miss.
Speaker 3: Graduation, and then I'm letting you miss Thursday because you have graduation. Now it should be no, they are should be noted that I don't has my mom ever told you this? I missed? I don't know what commencement. There's two different like in college graduation ceremonies, there's like the one where the person speaks, like the there was two different things, the one where you walk across the stage and get your diploma, and then something else as well.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I have that tomorrow. You have what tomorrow the moving up ceremony.
Speaker 3: And you're skipping it for gov Ball.
Speaker 4: No, I'm going, I'm gonna go. When is it is that like twelve.
Speaker 3: Am I supposed to go?
Speaker 4: No? No, no, no, there's been one every year.
Speaker 3: Is that like twelve. Okay, all right, good, that'll be fun. I'm happy for you on that. But the point I was making is whatever the ceremony was at Syracuse, that wasn't the walk across the I have two very quick Syracuse graduation anecdotes. The first one is I my mom, my grandmother, my grandfather, my dad were all in Syracuse to watch these ceremonies, and I skipped one of them to do a radio show. I didn't go because I wanted to do my Z eighty nine show, What's Right with Nick Wright, which is what this is called. Also graduation, they ask you to write on your name or write on a card how you pronounce your name, and you know they want to make sure they get your name right. So what's my full name? Door?
Speaker 4: Nicholas James?
Speaker 3: Right? What do you think I had them call me when they announced my graduation? Nicholas, What's right? I had them call me the name of the show, which is the show I do now. That still makes me smile thinking back on it. All right, last one.
Speaker 4: How'd your family feel about that one?
Speaker 3: My mom shook her head, but I think she was proud deep down.
Speaker 4: Christian asks Nick, would you rather get a five percent pay raise or an NBA vote. An NBA vote one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean five percent raised be nice, But yeah, an NBA vote, There's no doubt about it. Diora. The next time we see you, you will be a high school graduate. I'm so incredibly proud of you. You have done a wonderful job on this bridge project. I have enjoyed doing it with you, and it is nice that the next one that you do, you will be doing because you want to, not because you have to as a require.
Speaker 4: I just want to make sure that everyone's heard this entire podcast. How he said that I have to do another one, Well, I don't have a choice. And now he's saying, how are you doing it because you want to?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I joke with you. Uh, Keeter, are gonna win Game four? Game five probably decides the series. Talk to you guys on Tuesday on the show Talk to You Guys today at three o'clock on First Things First, See you guys, Then what's right