Speaker 1: I Am all in Oh it's you.
Speaker 2: I Am all in Town meeting with Suzanne French and Tara suit An iHeartRadio podcast. Hi guys, welcome back to another I Am All in Town meeting with myself, Tara, and Suzanne. We are on season one, episode three, Kill Me Now, which aired October nineteen, two thousand. Susanne really quickly. I didn't want to ruin anything before we started, but I was like, I don't know if I have much about this episode. Yeah, episode it was.
Speaker 1: It was a good episode. I do have a couple notes of things that I noticed as we went through. As I watched it. My husband watched it with me, so he knows it's a few things.
Speaker 2: And then there were a couple yeah I have I have two things I wanted to fly and the first one I guess I'll get started because it was the very beginning. They talk about Richer's mom. Yes, like she's dead, right, Okay, I thought it was just me. It was like, she's not dead, we see her eventually.
Speaker 1: We were definitely using the past tense.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was her, right, Yeah, it was this person.
Speaker 1: Yeah that comes up a lot, and we're like, wait a minute. They talk about her like she is not with us anymore, and then we all know, like she's gonna show up in a few episodes.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, is it season one she shows up?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 1: It's the it's the third Laurel I is the name of the episode, and I forget the exact number, but it's coming up not too not too long, So yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess it kind of makes sense because when you're starting a show, especially a well for a pilot, you have no idea what's going to happen. So like they didn't know Sean Gunn was gonna become Kirk like that. You just would never know off episode one, but you would think by episode three we kind of established something, especially if you're going to bring his mom in by like episode nine, you know, you.
Speaker 1: Think that they would have like kind of thought that arc through into future episodes.
Speaker 2: Unless unless they filmed like five episodes thinking this might be it and then they got picked up by the network.
Speaker 1: Yeah that could be they could be that far ahead thinking yeah, point.
Speaker 2: So that was that was my thought. I loved I loved Emily's red suit and then Lorelei's little green like mesh. Yes, it wasn't a jacket. I don't don't know what it was, but like, yeah, it will cover up, right.
Speaker 1: It was like a like a shirt or a blouse, but it it was like a cover, like you couldn't wear it by itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I want to say that that we'll see in a few episodes, but I want to say that Rory wears that in her birthday party episode.
Speaker 2: She wears green. I didn't remember it was that. I know she was green, I didn't realize it was that one.
Speaker 1: And it may not because I haven't watched that episode in a while. I'm trying not what's coming up ahead. I know, I'm trying to like stay, I want to keep going when the when the next episode comes up, and I'm forcing myself not to. But I want to say that it might be the actual same garment. But we'll see if.
Speaker 2: It's funny watching the show's the episodes this time around, Like last time was like all right, I'm going to talk about like the context of it and like what I think. And this time I'm like sitting there like analyzing my screen. Like I actually watched this last night in bed on my phone because I was like whatever, it's like go to bed. Yeah, watching it, and I'm like scanning the back of every scene, like the one thing and this is my only other note I had was the golf course and the wedding on the same field.
Speaker 1: They were. My husband noticed that too, He's like, I think those are the same place, and so we started.
Speaker 2: With just different angles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, And I'm like, there's a lot of oak trees. Was that was the thing that I noticed, because you know, there's not a lot of oak trees in la and in Burbank. So I'm thinking this must be like somewhere north of la into like Ventura County, because that's they have a lot of oak trees in that area. And so I looked it up before we got on the call and it it is the same piece of property. It's like a private ranch in Thousand Oaks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there was a I even noticed one of the shots where Richard and Rory were walking, you could see in the background you could see that bridge that was walking over with the girls. I'm like, Wita, that's the same.
Speaker 2: It was just a different angle. Well, right, I wonder. Okay, so there's a very famous golf course called Sherwood in Thousand Oaks, well west like Thousand Oaks, So I wonder if they but that's such a private area, I don't know if they'd be able to use it.
Speaker 1: It's not it wasn't an actual golf course.
Speaker 2: OK.
Speaker 1: Because my husband commented on that too, He's like, you know, golf courses don't have that many trees because also.
Speaker 2: You don't golf next to a bench? Right, did you see the bench? Just be I'm emma, she's gazzling. I'm like, I like, I'm a my family's a member of a country club by me, and like I don't golf, but like I've been there, and I'm like, there's no bench just in the middle of the of the field.
Speaker 1: Right, unless it's miniature golf right with a clown. I think it was. It's like a private ranch. Like it's not an actual golf club. It's just a private home.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we did, And I it was funny because I had never noticed that all the times I've watched this episode before.
Speaker 2: I didn't either. But then we also, again I mix up seasons and episodes, but we do see a lot more of the field at the independence and like the outdoor wedding. When we moved to the Dragonfly, we never saw anything outdoors.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's a good point because.
Speaker 2: Was it was it the episode with Jet when Jess shows up behind the tree, wasn't that outside the Firefly? Yeah?
Speaker 1: That was? That was the independence in Yeah, that was that was Suki's wedding. So yeah, that was still at the.
Speaker 2: End of D But see, like that's why I was like, why don't we keep unless they just couldn't keep going to Thousand Oaks to fill you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And maybe, yeah, maybe it was really expensive.
Speaker 2: I don't know, remberping two thousand Oaks is a good A good forty five minute drive too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah it's not closed one oh one is no joke.
Speaker 2: It's forty minutes with no traffic. It's yeah longer, yeah, with traffic. But I other than that, I thought it was a pretty solid episode, mean, very sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I liked the story arc, like how Richard starts out like he doesn't want to do this and he's mad because she's late and he doesn't want to have lunch with her, and he's kind of like why do I have to do this? But then at the end, like he's so proud of her, and he's bragging about her to his golf She's gonna go to fence, yeah, I you know. And then he definitely kind of, you know, gained an appreciation of her as a person, and I you know, I think previously, because of the whole scenario with Laurel I, he hadn't really had a chance to get to know her, and he just kind of associated her with all that trauma of what was going on, you know, with Laura.
Speaker 2: And I think that he really the part that I think was a turning point when she asked what he does and then he's like, well, you don't really care, and she's like, oh, okay, like you know, like she actually does care to know what her grandfather does, which was right.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah. And then he's like, oh, maybe she is interested, and then he told her so I thought I liked it. I thought it was good. And then I also saw a parallel which I hadn't thought of before, between Laurel I and her relationship with Emily and then her interactions with the mother of the brides, because that that mom was like so frustrated with her daughters and she can't stand them.
Speaker 2: I only saw it in the scene where at the very their end when it's a little girl with the dress. I only that's the only one that I was go, it's basically Lorela and Emily, but it see the parallel with the twins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it kind of was like maybe Lorelai like interacting with that mom kind of gave Lorelai maybe a little bit of insight into what Emily's experience was having daughters that are so frustrating and so annoying, you know. And then but then at the end, the mom's like dancing with them like they were doing the you know, the congo line when when Sister Sledge was playing. So, I don't know, I just I never had really paid attention to that before.
Speaker 2: So did you think it was weird that they were marrying twins? I didn't think it was that weird.
Speaker 1: The twins marrying twins. I don't know. I didn't think much about it. I I thought it was unusual.
Speaker 2: It was unusual, but like the way they were acting and they're like, oh, I was like, I guess it's weird, but like it's not like they're siblings, you know what I mean, It's right. I think it's happened in other Yeah.
Speaker 1: It happened recently too, because I remember seeing people posting about, oh my gosh, it's just like Gilmore Girls twins may really yeah, I was like, I don't know, maybe the past six months something like that. Funny, but so, yeah, A couple of things I noticed. In the scene where Lorali is walking across the bridge with the mom and the daughters and they're talking about the color of the flowers, one of the brides loses her shoe. And if you watch closely at the end of that scene, when it's just Lorala and the mom talking, you can see there's a shoe on the bridge behind them. And my husband and I watched this. We rewound it like fifteen times last night trying to figure out exactly where is it happened. But the bride in the purple dress, I think it was her shoe. I think she walked out.
Speaker 2: Do you think she just like lost it in the scene, left it and they continued the scene.
Speaker 1: That's what it seems like. It looks like the heel might be stuck and so like she just walked out of it to keep seeing. I'm not sure, but if you watch it again, there's a there's a sound, there's like a clunking sound that happens, and there's nothing else in the scene that explains that noise.
Speaker 2: It is so funny.
Speaker 1: So I don't know. People can watch it and let us know what they think. But there's definitely a shoe on the bridge. How it came to be there, I'm not one hundred percent sure. My husband thought she walked out of it, but.
Speaker 2: You know what, sure, I don't think there's any other explanation because like, why would they just leave a shoe right?
Speaker 1: How? Yeah, because unless they thought, well, because you can't see their actual feet, so maybe they thought it wasn't gonna show. I don't know.
Speaker 2: But also like if that was like the best take they had, they had no choice but to you right, that take with.
Speaker 1: The shoe exactly, especially because they're on location. They can't just go, you know, go back reshoot it real quick, like that's gonna happen, So it could be, but just yeah, a funny, funny little thing.
Speaker 2: I wonder if, like editors, when they we have one take to use and there's a shoe, they're like, whatever, it's going to be like an easter egg. Like I wonder if they're just like, we'll figure someone will see it a susand would see it well.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing with streaming, you know, like when this show originally aired, people weren't necessarily like watching it over and over in quick succession like that.
Speaker 2: No, this is like your thirtieth time watching this and now you're.
Speaker 1: Doing right exactly exactly. And it's the same thing with Friends, like I'm sure Jackie can say, like those of us that watched Friends when it first aired, it took ten years to see all of it right because it went for ten seasons, and we watched it a week at a time for ten years, and so we weren't seeing those random little things that didn't yeah, that didn't correlate between season one in season ten, like somebody's you know, birthday didn't match up or whatever.
Speaker 2: Like you didn't notice that then, yeah.
Speaker 1: And now you see it because you're watching ten seasons over, you know, a month.
Speaker 2: I will say, as someone who I never watched Friends in its original run, I watched it for the first time in its full run probably like ten years ago. I've always caught episodes, like I knew the storyline, but I never like watched in order it took me a long time to get through. Yeah, there were a lot of episodes, and even though they're thirty minutes, it's it's a lot right right, Like also that show a little bit not to completely go off here, that show probably is a little easier to see things because there's really like four sets.
Speaker 1: Right, they never went anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like they were in the apartment, the two apartments.
Speaker 1: Right, there's a couple apartment, in the cafe and the cafe, and then like a few offices.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a few seasons. Well it might start my friends or rewatched after this.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I Friends is like my background show, Like Gilmore, I sit and watch, like I can't have it on in the background because I want to sit and watch it. Got it, But friends of my background show. So I will often have friends, like if I'm trying to get bills or whatever, my background but a few other things. So again in this episode, the Gilmore House is still different than we had seen in the few episodes that it was different. That entryway I.
Speaker 2: Noticed it more in the very last scene with the bar cart. I was like, where are we in this house?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the living room was different, and also the front door like when Richard and Emily were waiting for Rory to come that front, that entry was was all different.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then let's see, there were a few recycled actors, so we know that probably a lot of producers and directors do this. They have people they like to work with and so they will put them in multiple projects. So the in the sauna scene, actually both of the sauna scenes, the one with Richard and his friends, the older gentleman that was on the left, he was the guy from the newspaper in his life.
Speaker 2: We just talked about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, and he's also going to make an appearance coming up. He's plays the minister. Oh in the episode where Richard's mother. See now we can do spoilers. I like this, the episode where Richard's mom passes away, he's the minister at her funeral.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: And then when Rory was in the sauna, one of the women in the steam room, I think it was the one on the left. As I recall, she will come back in a future episode. She plays Nicole's mother when Luke marries Nicole.
Speaker 2: So well, and also with Kirk, they just she referred to him as that guy.
Speaker 1: Right, he was just like the Swan delivery guy.
Speaker 2: And also he wasn't very kirkleg he was very just frustrated to be there, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was just very much like, I don't care, just tell me where to put these.
Speaker 2: Weird like that's twenty swans and he's like sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let's see what else did I have? Okay, So the lunch scene, I I smiled at the lunch scene that was filmed in the Warner Brothers Commissary.
Speaker 2: I knew it was so I couldn't pinpoint it, but I was like, this is somewhere that I've been before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And I was fortunate enough to have lunch in that room a couple of weeks ago when we were there. I was there with Scott for the for the launch for his Winter and Fall in Winter coffees, and we had lunch in that exact room. And so when we the day that we went there for lunch, we walked in that room, I'm like, oh my god, I know this room.
Speaker 2: Okay. Where is it on the lot or is it on the right on the outside, which one is It's it's on the lot, Okay.
Speaker 1: So when you go in the commissary and there's a big room, and that room they have used in multiple episodes also, which we'll point out when we get to it. But then on this side there's a private dining room and that's where that scene was shot.
Speaker 2: So I'm mixing it up. So there used to be because the iHeart office is across the street from the Warner Brothers studio and this is pre pandemic, so five six years ago, there was a commissary that as an iHeart employee, you could walk across the street and it used to be next to where you start the tour. But it was kind of like employees from the studios nearby can come and it kind of looked the same vibe. So that's what I thought. I was like, it's not that random place by the tour, But I don't think that that commissary exists anymore. But I used to go there all the time and like, if you if you don't want to eat there, they would put your food in like it to go box and they'd walk back to the office. Oh that's cool, yeah, but but yeah, like it's the only commissary I've been on the lot is at Disney, which is also down the street.
Speaker 3: Uh, huh.
Speaker 2: And Disney has two. They have a Disney one and ABC one and if you ever go, the ABC one has better food. But Wednesday's on the Disney lot is Sushi Day.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I worked at Disney, it was the trick I told everyone.
Speaker 1: Back in my previous existence, I worked for the parent This is completely unrelated, so sorry.
Speaker 2: We love tangents on the stage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I used to work for the parent company of the hospital that's across the street from the Disney lot. And oh yeah, back in the day, the hospital employees used to be able to go to the Disney commissary. That was before I worked there, so I never got to do it. And I heard that they stopped doing that after I think it was after nine to eleven when they kind of locked everything down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I used to when I worked. Sorry, this is completely a tangent or whatever. When I used to work at Disney, I worked at Radio Disney, which was on It was on Alameda, so it was the green and white building that back when I was a kid, used to have the Disney channel logo at the top. So that's how I like, I used to love being like I want to work there one day, and I did. But as an employee, I could basically go wherever I wanted, So as long as I just scanned my badge, I could go into the lot. So I worked kind of weird shifts at Radio Disney. So I'd go once a week and get myself lunch on the lot and then go walk around. And there's a Disney store on the lot, which is one of the last standing Disney stores left. Oh, because every Disney store closed, so that's like one of the last standing stores. And I have some friends who still work there, and I'll be like, can you check the store. I need a Disney shirt that I can't find a Disneyland. Yeah, but yeah, that's so funny about the I was thinking of a different commisara. But that's cool. You got to go a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it was funny because pretty much where Rory and Richard were sitting like that, that's where my husband and I were sitting and for that lunch, and so.
Speaker 2: We're like, oh my god, that's so cool.
Speaker 1: And that's also the same room where Loralai and Digger had their first date, where he got that private room for them and She's like, but I want to be out there, like that was the private room.
Speaker 2: Like, oh fun, okay, well that's coming up. So yeah, we have we have a bit.
Speaker 1: But so that was fun that realization that hey, I know this room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's see what else did I have?
Speaker 1: Okay, So one minor thing when they were having their sitting on their porch Lorlai and Rory and they were having the argument about their boobs, like that really stupid conversation.
Speaker 2: Where did the porch table come from?
Speaker 1: I you know, I don't know it was. That's that weird setup they have where they have that side door goes into the living room, but they pretend it's the kitchen. So when she goes in to get the water, she was actually just like going into the living.
Speaker 2: Room and then left the door open when she said right.
Speaker 1: And then when they come back, like the water, everything on the table kept changing position, like there was that bottle of oil that she went to get and then the water bottles yea angle, everything was all in a different position.
Speaker 2: But I have never seen them working from a table on the bah.
Speaker 1: I think that was just conveniently located because.
Speaker 2: I thought I actually that scene I thought was at the Independence stand for a second.
Speaker 1: Mm, yeah, it kind of looked at with the square porch. That's yeah.
Speaker 2: And then when Babbitt came, I'm like, this is.
Speaker 1: Not yeah, and it was. Yeah, it was kind of an odd angle that we didn't We don't often see and that's that's the same spot where we'll see coming up where they Luke and not Luke Lorelai and Jess when Jess comes to town and he comes over for that dinner and he takes the beer out of her fridge and then they have that. Yeah, that's the same spot.
Speaker 2: It's just the angles.
Speaker 1: I know. It is like they try to use that side door and make you think it's the kitchen, but really no, it's not the kitchen. And then really the the other thing I was asking myself as I was watching this is the wedding. The wedding must have been on a weekday because they say that the golf outing was on Sunday, but then Friday night dinner, she's.
Speaker 2: Bringing the leftovers. It was a Thursday. It had to be a Thursday wedding, which is a thing, is it. Yeah, my family owns a wedding venue, so that's and they own the wedding venue, and my cousin's like the coordinator and Thursday weddings are very popular because it's cheaper.
Speaker 1: Oh but was it a thing in twenty four years ago?
Speaker 2: It could have been because because you're paying for like a like a Friday is cheaper than a Saturday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it didn't make sense because we know, we know when the golf thing was that was Sunday, and then the next Friday night dinner they already have the used dessert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it had to be a Thursday wedding.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only other thing I noticed at the end was we at that famous moment where Laura kiss Rory on the head that's in the credits. Yeah, that was in this episode and it's the second I saw her dress that I noticed it. Yeah, which was a great dress. But also she was so dressed up for working at a wedding.
Speaker 1: I know, yeah, because usually, like the staff, they're like wearing black and they're just kind of staying in the background.
Speaker 2: But she was dressed up like she was attending. Yeah, she's attended. I mean, I guess she could have, but yeah.
Speaker 1: It was pretty and I thought it was interesting that Rory was doing the guest book because usually, like the brides would pick somebody.
Speaker 2: I when I was in high school, I used to do that at my family's venue. So oh really yeah, I used to do the check ins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, we just had I'm trying to think because I realized as I was watching this that this would have like my husband and I got married in ninety nine, so this episode would have only been like a year later. So I was thinking about like my own wedding planning back then, like, oh, we would have been like kind of the same generation as the daughters, which is weird. Yeah, identify more with Lorala.
Speaker 2: In high school. High school. Yeah, it was high school. In like senior year going into college, I used to work at my my family's venue as a receptionist. I literally was just answer phones. But then for some weddings they wanted like people to check in, and so they would put me in the front.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean I guess, I guess it just depends per venue. And yeah, and also I feel like if the owner said my daughter's helping, I don't really think that the bride and groom would care, you know. Yeah, yeah, who knows, But she's not the owner of the inn. That's true if there reminds of the manager.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, if they didn't have anybody in mind to do it, then why not.
Speaker 2: I also think that Mom didn't care at this point.
Speaker 1: I know, but she's like, let's just get through this some they can move to Tucson or wherever they were going to get out of her hair.
Speaker 2: But it was it was a fun episode. I like this. That was very smat.
Speaker 1: It was good. I liked it. It was the beginning of, you know, the the Rory and the grandparent relationship, and we kind of start to get back glimmer that, you know, moralize a little jealous. Yeah, you know, she thought that Rory was gonna be coming along with her, and it didn't occur to her that Ory might want a relationship with her grandparents as she got older.
Speaker 2: The one other thing I brought it up in the episode that Scott and I did last week with Kiko, that I wish Drella was more of a character because her with her, her with Michelle would have been hilarious. And so in this episode, I was actually surprised. I didn't remember that she actually had like more lines because she was just like there, But I was like, oh, we we could have gotten that banter from the two of them. But I love Drella.
Speaker 1: I wish they had been able to work out so that she could have been on the.
Speaker 2: Show because she got what show after this, Well, she was.
Speaker 1: On Mad TV at the time, which is why she couldn't play Suki. But I don't know actually how long Mad TV went, so I'm not I'm not sure, but I love that character. And Alex Borstein is sure versatile.
Speaker 2: You need to watch Masil if you haven't started.
Speaker 1: I know I need. That's my net. I'm just finishing Switched at Birth, so I'm maybe I'll do Maze. Well. I was gonna actually watch bun Heads again with you know, with Amy and Danielle.
Speaker 2: So when Switched ap Birth, we're really going off the rails today. When Switched at Birth was airing, I was working at Tiger Beat magazine and I used to go to the set of Switched at Birth and they filled in well to do interviews. That's why I like know Vanessa. I actually know Laura better her sister Marana. But the studios it was in Santa Clarita, so that was like a tit fun tidbit for you and I have a picture. I'll have Texa to you. I have a picture in the hallway of the school.
Speaker 1: Oh cool. Yeah, yeah, I like switching Switched at birth and I've gotten well. I met Vanessa at the live podcast that we did earlier this year. She and I had a lovely conversation. She was so so nice. Yeah, and then I've also met Jill Marini that played Angelo, her birth dad. I've met him before. He was super nice too. So yeah, it's a great show. It's a great cast, like all those people are great.
Speaker 2: So another great one down the free Form shows is was the Fosters Such a great show?
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't watch that one.
Speaker 2: I think you would, really, it's it's a little more heavy. It's a little heavier. Okay, it's not, you know, but it's it's such a great show with great meaning.
Speaker 1: And yeah, okay, I'll look for that one.
Speaker 2: Except you completely get a different hey suss halfway through the series. Oh that's you completely changed characters. So but you know what, it works.
Speaker 1: I love that. And they think you won't notice.
Speaker 2: I mean it was they reference it when Noah Senzineo comes in. They're like, yeah, you look different, or like something. It was like literally just you had to. It was like four seasons into the show. You couldn't just ignore it, right like they did.
Speaker 1: On Roseanne when the one daughter left, I guess I think she went to college and then Sarah Chalk came.
Speaker 2: And the mom in a Fresh Prince.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: But that was only one season, right, it was just the last season.
Speaker 1: I think, so. Yeah. I haven't seen Fresh Prince at all.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we're not going to recap any of that.
Speaker 1: I think we were done here.
Speaker 2: Oh all right, to the next episode this season, one episode for the deer Hunters, and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: Okay, take care of everyone, dot
Speaker 2: Game everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.