Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb and you know, at this very moment Joe is away. So I reached out once more to Seth Nicholas Johnson of Rusty Needles Record Club to discuss a film here on Weird House Cinema. Seth, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me again, Always happy to return.
Speaker 2: Now, this is an interesting pick. This is not a film that I was familiar with at all. It is I guess you might describe it as an overlooked Jim the Year two thousand's Psycho Beach Party, a wonderfully campy comedy that takes the nineteen sixties beach Party movie by way of a little seventies horror and uses this to like a send up of gender norms, pop culture, astro turfing, of diverse Russian and more, while also just firmly committing to laughs. Seth, I had never even heard of this film before you brought it up in email. Could you share your history with this film?
Speaker 3: Like? Where did you?
Speaker 2: Where did you learn about this? Because I feel like this is one that it doesn't seem like it was appreciated as much when it came out, and it seems like it was ahead of its time, and it doesn't seem like it has the cult following it deserves.
Speaker 3: Agreed, Agreed on all counts. I have to give all credit to my wife. Back when her and I were first dating, we were living down in Los Angeles, and she told me how much she loved this movie. I also had never heard of it, and so on a date one night, we went on a little DVD hunt. We had to scour Los Angeles trying to find a copy of this. We eventually found a copy at one of the best record stores that ever existed in Meba Hollywood, And yeah, we watched it, and it immediately became just a perennial household favorite of ours, and we just watched it whenever we had the chance. And yeah, I have to ask her where she first heard of it, too, because this does seem like a chain of like, all right, who's the one person who knew someone who was like, you know, a grip on the movie, who told their friend and it just kind of continued on. But yeah, I mean, honestly, there's there's quite a few people of note in this film too, So maybe that's kind of where she first came across it, but I'll ask her later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. There are a number of folks that are very talented folks in here that went on to some really great things. And also, I guess depending on how connected or into the off Broadway and ultimately Broadway a scene of the eighties and nineties you happen to be, you also might have a leg up on knowing about this movie. I guess the other main thing that might draw folks into this particular film is that it is a parody of sixties beach movies, and we're gonna have to, I think, unpack that for a lot of listeners. So we certainly have listeners out there who know the way around sixties beach movies. But I think even if you haven't watched a lot of them, you probably have some idea of what we're talking about here. There are a lot of common elements. Bikinis, romance, oftentine romance, there's comedy, there's surfers, there's rock and roll. Occasional appearances by other subsets of youth culture, you know, so pre hippie generally with beat nicks and greasers, maybe some bikers and more and Seth, I'm delighted that you have done a much deeper dive into the world of beach movies. Give us a little primary here on the beach movie so we can better appreciate what is being lampooned and subverted in this picture.
Speaker 3: Not too long ago, I went on quite the beach movie binge. I'm not sure kind of what got it in my head, but I decided that, like this entire genre was unexplored territory for me, and so I decided to watch them all. And first of all, there is a very specific, i guess, cinematic universe of beach movies that are primarily focused on the actors Frankie Avlon and an Nett Funicello. And I literally think if you pull up the Wikipedia page on this, it's probably something like twelve movies. And they just keep going and going and going, and they are so much better and so much stranger than I thought they would be. So, for example, here's the few of my favorites. There was one called Pajama Party from nineteen sixty four Tommy Kirk Old Disney actor favorite you know from like you know Old Yeller and many other hits. He plays a martian named Go Go who he is in an advanced scout for a Mars invasion, and of course he has to kind of disguise himself as like a local teenager and he kind of learns, you know, the fun of like being an earth teenager at the beach, and that ultimately, you know, dissuades him from destroying the Earth. Another one which I think a lot of people have heard of. It's such a ridiculous title. It's called Doctor Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine. This is from nineteen sixty five, still the same film series. It stars Vincent Price as a mad scientist and he builds an army of female robots to rob rich, gullible men, and of course that ties into Frankie and Annette having their own melodrama as well. And well, one more I'll mention, let's see one more year later The Ghost in the Invisible Bikini from nineteen sixty six, again same film series. In this one, Boris Karloff is a ghost that needs to perform one good deed before he can finally get into heaven. These just they're the strangest franchise of films. I mean, I think Buster Keaton appears in nearly every single one of them for one reason or another. And there's also this reoccurring character I love he is. His name is Eric von Zipper, and he's the dim witted leader of a biker gang, and he is often referred to both outside and inside the movies as a middle aged teenage delinquent. And I think what what they were doing is in the sixties, the idea of the rebel without a cause, greaser motorcycle gang was now long in the tooth. So the concept was that, hey, what happens to all these what happens to the previous generations youth? Where does it go? Do they just stay? You know, these leather clad biker gangs that are gonna be middle aged teenage delinquents. And it's just I suppose, perhaps a subtle dig at their parents, perhaps, But it's a far better film series than I ever would have realized. And I'll throw in one more because I think it ties in directly to what we're talking about today. There's also a series all about Gidget. The first film was called Just Gidget, and then there were many many others which you can go into if you like. And this film is almost a direct Gidget parody, like all of the setup of her like befriending a gang of surfers who then give her like a cute scene nickname, and you know, falling in love with one of them, all that stuff, that's all pure the first Gidget film. So yeah, I would say in many ways, I when I first saw this movie, I had not seen Gidget. I had not seen any of the beach Party Frankie in Anette films, and so I just took this almost like as its own creation. I knew obviously the beach parties had existed, but after seeing those, I'm like, oh, this is nearly direct parody. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the original sort of brainstorm title for this of what would become Psycho Beach Party was Gidget Ghost Psychotic.
Speaker 3: And are you talking about I hope not getting too far ahead of us here, but talking about the original play, Is that correct? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, from what I read before it even really solidified as a play. Apparently Charles Bush, who will get into a lot of these shows they would do, they would put it on like a different show with you know, a lot of like diverse like drag elements, and other like comedic elements, and then they would sort of tease what the next one might be, but in kind of like almost kind of an arrested development, you know, closing credit style. It's not necessarily something they planned to produce. They would just be like, next next week's show is going to be a gidget goho psychotic And apparently they just once the idea was unleashed, they were like, oh, what if we did it, what would it consist of? And it grew from there.
Speaker 3: The only reason I knew this was a play originally was that at some point when I was looking it up online, I saw a poster for it that was not the film poster, but we had the same title Psycho Beach Party, but I believe the date said nineteen eighty seven, and I was so confused. I'm like, oh, was this based on something else? Did they perhaps originally make it in eighty seven, et cetera. And then as soon as I do a little bit of research and like, oh, it's all the same. It just at least this poster is from eighty seven because they were doing it that long ago. That's how long this play took to become a film. I'm sure you'll talk about that soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think that would have been the original run, the original off Broadway run, And if memory serves when I was looking around, I believe there have been more recent productions of it. I think one was either done in or came through Atlanta at some point, but again, it was totally off my radar at the time, so I didn't know about it.
Speaker 3: I'd be very curious to see a stage version of this. I honestly don't really know how they would do it.
Speaker 2: I think one of the great things to keep in mind about this movie's humor and perhaps sort of the origins of the play. I think it summed up well in actually a letterbox review that I ran across by the late Eli Hayes, who was a real prolific letterbox reviewer, and if you spend any amount of time on that website, you'll probably run across reviews that he did. So it's just a very brief write up, but he summarizes this film as being quote a relatively neglected, should be contemporary cult classic of burlesque, lampoonery and maximal camp. So yeah, I mean, obviously it's a very campy film. It gets into some subversive elements and some social commentary, but the laughs always come first, and I think the burlesque observation is key here as well. It's that kind of like at times body humor, but the pasties are on too, so it's not going too far, and it's again laughs first.
Speaker 3: That's very true. Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 2: Now, coming back just real quick to Gidget.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't have a lot of experience with the beach movie a beach party movie genre myself, but when you start reading about it, everyone points to the gidget movies. They kind of point to nineteen fifty nine's Gidget starring Sandra d who would go on to be in The Dunwich Horror, among other things. This was general This is generally regarded as the beginning of the beach movie crazy, and it spawned the sequels Gidget goes Hawaiian, Gidget goes to Rome, so that's where we get the natural continuation of that Gidget go Psychotic. There are also a couple of TV movies, but it goes on from there, like there are Elvis movies that are clearly beach party movies, and there are a There are also some other genre examples, two that come to mind for me, and these are the two that I had really seen before because they were on Mystery Science Theater. Three thousand would be nineteen sixty four as the Horror at Party Beach, which is both a beach party movie and a monster movie with ridiculous monster and a musical performance by the dell Airs. Another example that I really like is the nineteen sixty seven film Catalina Kaper, also featured on Mystery Science Theater. That one had Tommy Kirk in it and a musical number on the Beach by Little Richard. Pretty amazing, so that one's worth checking out, if for nothing else, for Tommy Kirk, for Little Richard, and I believe there's a scene where like surf dudes battle beat Nick, not beat Nicks, they battle greasers on the beach.
Speaker 3: So again that must have been a reoccurring theme of Hey, that that's your generation, mom and dad, we're on the beach now.
Speaker 2: And it does seem to I wonder if the subtext too there is kind of like, oh, the previous generations counterculture group, they never integrated, They're always going to be outsiders and maybe they're a little bit losers, you know. It kind of ties in with kind of like the straight laced veneer that you get in the mainstream sixties pictures of this this era before you know, the more counterculture hippie movement really becomes more standard.
Speaker 3: That's a good observation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, well, let's go ahead and listen to the audio from the trailer for Psycho Beach Party. I guess we are the only ones watching the movie.
Speaker 3: These guys have only on their minds.
Speaker 1: Want a winner. Check with the splat person.
Speaker 2: He should I unpack my gongles. I intend to unpack my.
Speaker 3: Alright, guys, come on, that's an.
Speaker 2: I like to say this, but I think our little chicken maybe the butcher melody.
Speaker 3: Beach hardy till you drop dead.
Speaker 2: I hope you put some baccino that scratch.
Speaker 3: Psycho Beach Party.
Speaker 2: That's the most exciting story idea I've.
Speaker 3: Heard in years.
Speaker 2: Now. I'm not sure if we used all that, we might have had to cut a little of that out. Some of it might not have worked out of context. But hey, if you want to go watch Psycho Beach already before continuing with this episode. Fortunately, it is widely available for digital rental or purchase. It's currently streaming on TB I believe. If you don't, I think you have to, you know, deal with some ads. There. Also Strand Home Video put out a multi format disc in twenty fifteen, which of course includes the Blu Ray. I know there was a DVD director's commentary at some point because I've seen it reference, so I'm assuming it might be on that disc.
Speaker 3: I'm holding it right here in my hand, and yes, it is on this disc, and I've listened to it before, and you you got some nice insights on there. Oh cool?
Speaker 2: Is it? Is it just Charles Bush or is there someone else in there as well?
Speaker 3: I remember it being just Charles Bush. And this is the era of DVD also where they would be like, oh, we're including a fun music video and like original trail, you know, like the classic DVDs of the early early two thousands, where they weren't quite sure what to do with all that extra space on the disc. They just kind of filled it with stuff, you know, whatever was sitting around. I kind of like that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I bet that's a great commentary track because I didn't get to listen to that, but I did check out like an old nineteen ninety three fresh air Terry Gross interview with Bush.
Speaker 3: That was really cool.
Speaker 2: It was very short, but it was insightful. And I've got a few other things on YouTube where he's talking about his past and his projects and so forth.
Speaker 3: He's definitely had a pretty amazing career, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. All right, well, let's talk about the people involved here, starting at the top with the director. The director is Robert Lee King. I don't have a birth date on him, American writer and director whose father, Robert L. King, worked on the screenplay for the nineteen seventy two Disney film Now You See Him, Now You Don't, starring Kurt Russell and Caesar Romero. Robert Lee King. However, the sun here only has a handful of movie credits. Nineteen ninety one short titled The Disco Years, which he also wrote, two thousand and two She Gets What She Wants with Michael McKean, and he also co wrote that one. And then there's twenty Eleven's Bad Actress, which he directed. That one features Beth Broderick. More on her in a minute, and Ryan Hanson, who a lot of you know is Kyle from Party Down. All right, but then we come to the writing credit here for the screenplay, also the original play of which he adapted. This is Charles Busch, who've already been talking about. Born nineteen fifty four, writer, director, actor, and drag performer who initially made him a name for himself in off Broadway theater, often in drag performances, where he apparently initially found his voice.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: I listened to this nineteen ninety three Terry Gross interview with Bush, and in that and again, this is the way before the movie Psycho Beach Party comes out. But Psycho Beach Party does exist at that point. Unfortunately, at least in the clip I heard, Terry didn't get a chance to ask him about that production. But at any rate, in that interview he says that, Okay, he's doing like various characters on stage, and I think in like a one man show he was doing. But most of the male characters, he said, felt very locked down, very static, And it was in the female characters that he was able to really bring everything to life. And so that becomes like part of major part of his work moving forward. His first big off Broadway hit was nineteen eighty four's Vampire Lesbians of Sodom, a very provocative title that He says that the New York Times in their their advertisements for local theater, they were very hesitant or even refused to use the full title. He says, you could have called it vampires, lesbians or sodom and they would have been cool with it. But he put all of them together and it's gonna make people want to push the elite button.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 2: I've not seen this, and it hasn't been adapted, to my knowledge, into any kind of like film or TV property, but it's apparently a series of comedy skits throughout time about a pair of immortal vampires who keep encountering each other. So it's like, you know, biblical sodom all the way up through like mid eighties Las Vegas.
Speaker 3: I'd only heard of this because in an interview that I saw with Charles Bush, he was describing that this was the play that he was in the middle of actually performing and was already a success and already a hit. And then after they would finish their off Broadway performances of Vampire Lesbians of Sodom, they would be invited to go perform like these little one act plays, like on tiny little stages, like just you know, a little hole in the wall type places, and because he loved stage time and loved to perform, he always said yes, he always took them up on it. And those little ideas there are eventually what turned into Psycho Beach Party. Nice Nice.
Speaker 2: So among the performances to follow coming out of Off Broadway Easte Performances and the like was this concept for gidget go psychotic. You know, I saw this interview where Bush says it, you know, initially wasn't fully developed or a full fledged idea, but just kind of a humorous teaser. But it then grows into Psycho Beach Party, which initially ran eighty seven through eighty nine, with Bush himself playing the role of Florence Chicklet Forrest, the gidget character here, and it was a hit with audiences. You know, it's campy, over the top, a send up of beach party movies, you know, has some social commentary in there and more.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Bush also had some early TV and screen credits as an actor. Notably there's nineteen ninety three's Adams Family Values, in which we see him as in Drag as Countess cousin of Phasia DuBarry. I haven't seen this Adams Family movie in a long time. But you know, I looked up some stills and there she is, like standing in the background at a funeral perhaps, or it could be any other function since it's the Adams Family, right. He also was on Let's See nineteen ninety Wars, it Could Happen to You, nineteen ninety seven's Trouble on the Corner, and eight episodes of HBO's ODZ between nineteen ninety nine and two thousand. During this time, there were efforts to bring Psycho Beach Party to the screen, but it apparently took a long time, and it wasn't until two thousand that it finally comes out. You know, so late nineties before this thing finally begins to roll in earnest and then they end up shooting it in twenty one days, which pretty pretty tight schedule even for a film you know like this that you know, it doesn't have space stations or anything like that in it. They cranked it out in it and it looks good for.
Speaker 3: Sure, you know, even like we'll talk about this when we talked about the movie, even like little kind of just esthetic choices that are made throughout this film. Sure, it's not a high budget affair, but like the visual effects that are thrown in there, the sets, everything was done with care and with attention, even if it isn't a high budget film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's clearly a lot of love for the cinema of the time period that they're referencing, and even with a limited by you know, it's not one of these things where you watch it and you're like, this could just be mistaken for a product of the nineteen sixties, Like it's not, you know, it's not that level of recreation, but the homage is still very strong, and you totally get it. It's a it's a it's a great callback to those films now as we reference already. The film was seemingly not a hit. I don't think it made its money back. Critical reviews were also kind of mixed. It looks like and I'm not sure again that it's truly established the cult following that it's that it's that it deserves at least not to not to the degree that you know, it feels like it should have because you look at some of the I don't know, I feel like some of the elements here it strongly reminds me of me of say, John Waters movie or an episode of say Strangers with Candy, which is probably a solid comparison to be made there, given the time period and the sorts of humor you could get away with during during this period.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So it really feels like this one should be circulating more so to whatever small extent we can help raise awareness for Psycho Beach Party. Then, you know, I'm very much in favor.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's it's easy to watch things on too Be. Anyone can just pop open two Beat anytime watch something. Not an ad for two B, but I if they wanted to, I'd throw an ad for two B. Two Be's a great channel. I think I watched them more than any other streaming service these days. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's out there, it's available, and you don't have to watch it in some sort of degraded format or anything. Now, continuing on about Bush just a little bit, since he's, you know, sort of this the central dreamer here behind this for this project.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The same year, in two thousand, one of Bush's plays made its Broadway to debut with the Tale of the Allergist Wife. It was apparently a big hit, even earning him a tony nomination, and he won the Outer Critics Circle John Gasner Award for Outstanding Play.
Speaker 3: Right on that piece, I'd actually be pretty curious to see perhaps some more mainstream work from Bush, because this is the only piece of media I've consumed that he has written. I wonder if this same campy, off kilter take is just kind of prevalent throughout his work. I'd love to see more.
Speaker 2: Actually, I suspect so I think the basic premise of the Tale of the houris Wife is maybe less wacky, But I mean I assume that that the same sort of comedy is still present there right now. Film wise. In two thousand and three, Mark Ruckner directed an adaptation and Bush adapted it of his play Die, Mommy Die. This starred Bush, but it also had Natasha Leone and Jason Priestley. He pinned a Very Serious Person in two thousand and six, and in twenty twenty one he co wrote, co directed, and starred in the sixth reel his book Leading Lady, a Memoir of the most Unusual boy, release just last year.
Speaker 3: Oh that's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So let's see. Let's get into the cast a bit here. So again, Bush played the role of Chick Lit in the original stage performance. But I've heard him acknowledging in a couple of different formats that, Okay, by the time they were actually able to make the movie, he felt like he was too old for the part, even though traditionally you have people who are too old for the part playing the teenagers and beach movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if I'm just doing the simple math in my head, he would have been thirty or so when he was performing Chicklets in the stage play, so he would have been over No, No, I guess a little under fifty ish, around fifty ish when this movie was in production.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And he's said elsewhere that like, okay, you know, the role of chick Lit doesn't have to be a drag performance. It just that's how it worked out, right, So we end up with the excellent Lauren Ambrose playing Florence chick Lit forest Here born nineteen seventy eight. Just a delightful and energetic performance, just just absolutely perfect, delivering just this you know, get pitch perfect, g golly all American girl. While also, as we'll discuss, you know, she gets we get into these alternate personalities, and she's able to just really throw herself into those as well, and she gets to sing a little opera because Ambrose apparently is trained in opera. Now, a lot of you are going to be familiar with her from her work as Claire Fisher on HBO's Six Feet Under. She was great on that, and let's see. More recently, she acted in a couple of series that I haven't watched yet. One is the Apple series Servant and the highly regarded Yellowjacket series. Other credits include two thousand and nines Where the Wild Things Are, twenty eleven's Torchwood Mini series, and twenty twelve Sleepwalk with Me.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna throw in a couple others my personal favorites too. In nineteen ninety eight, she had a I don't know if it's actually a hit or just a hit with people who are children. In nineteen ninety eight, it's the high school graduation comedy can't hardly wait, a classic amongst my age group, but I don't know if it was just a flash in the pan or not. And more importantly, she plays the character Special Agent Einstein from The X Files during seasons ten and eleven. I don't know if this is absolutely true, but this is the way my wife and I always interpreted it that they were trying to make a backdoor pilot for basically, hey, what if you know Scold Mully, No, not Molly and Scolder, Scully and Molder, what if they left the show, could we replace them with two new actors and kind of like just keep the show going with like a brand new set of FBI agents because her character, Agent Liz Einstein, was absolutely a Scully replacement, Like it was just a redheaded young FBI agent who was very skeptical of everything she saw, et cetera, et cetera. And I really dug her. In fact, anyway, I could go on for X Files all day, but I'll skip past it. But between that role can't hardly wait six and six feet under. I have real affection for Lauren Ambrose. I think she's great now.
Speaker 2: X File season ten and eleven. Was this like original X Files run or is this like a return run?
Speaker 3: Yes, this would have been right at the new revival back in gosh, I don't even remember what year this was, but yeah, back when the X Files were just coming back and like the future of the X Files is an uncertain thing. They're only doing like six episodes per season. Et cetera, et cetera. I assume they were attempting to do a backdoor pilot to see what if these new characters continued on the show instead of having, you know, these actors who are clearly not as interested in sticking around and are too busy with their own careers. That was my guess. But anyway, I'm speculating entirely on that.
Speaker 2: Okay, it would have been The X Files and Next Generation or something.
Speaker 3: Exactly, which I definitely would have watched.
Speaker 2: All Right, Well, anyway, I'm interested to check it out because she's terrific in this just you know, she's awkward, she's she's confident, and she's able to really pour herself into these over the top alternate personalities as well, for sure. All right, who else is occupying this beach party world? Well, of course we have the surfers, and the leader of the surfers, the alpha, or so it seems on the beach, is Kanaka, played by Thomas Gibson born nineteen sixty two. This is Greg from Darman Greg, which ran a bunch of seasons twenty five through twenty sixteen. He was also on Chicago Hope, Actor of Stage, Screen and tv AT. Their credits include ninety twos Far and Away, ninety nine's Eyes Wide Shut, and two thousands The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas. I don't remember who he played in that one.
Speaker 3: I did see. I was doing some research on this movie and he was apparently filming Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas simultaneously while he filmed this movie. And there were even one or two scenes that were supposed to be Kanaka scenes, but because he was busy in the Flintstones movie, they had to just give the scene to somebody else.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, so he's good in this see he plays again. It's on one level, this is our you know, macho surfer alpha. But like I think most of the characters in this film, there's a buried web of desire that runs counter to gender stereotypes and social standards. Yeah, pretty much everyone in the film has some sort of like sexual or gender repression going on here.
Speaker 3: I would say the whole movie in many ways is intentionally queer coded. And there's basically, yeah, the whole concept of no matter what someone looks like on the outside, there's something inside of them that makes them other or perhaps just feel like an other and it being the repressed nineteen sixties. You know, hopefully the world has gotten better since then and people can express themselves a bit more freely, we hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah. At the same time, again, I'll stress that everything's played for laughs here, so you know that, don't go into it expecting like a really you know, in a deep contemplation of these themes. I mean, I think there is depth there, but also everything is played for laughs for sure. All right. We also have the character star Cat now Starkat is a SYCH dropout turned surfer dude who's very much a part of the Kanaka cult there on the beach, and he is played by Nicholas Brendan born nineteen seventy one. Yep, it's Xander from Buffy, the Heart and Soul of the Scooby Gang. Yeah, it's a fun performance. He gives it is all here. This was only his I think second film role, following Children of the Corn three in ninety five, and Buffy would have kicked off in ninety seven. So he's worked on plenty of other projects over the years, and it's still active, though I think mostly smaller productions.
Speaker 3: I wonder if he was the biggest star at the time. No, well no, Darbyn Greg right, no, no Starvin Greg hadn't started well no, no, anyway, he could have been.
Speaker 2: He might have been the biggest, the biggest star of the time. Yeah, because Buffy would have been in earnest at that point.
Speaker 3: And some of these other actors who will mention very soon were not stars yet. So I think when I first saw this movie, he was the biggest star to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's see host we have Okay, we have a character by the name of Betina Barnes. This is a screen starlet who has run away from the studio system and her agents and so forth, and she's living incognito or trying to in a creepy old beach house with a dark history. And this character is played by Kimberly Davies born nineteen seventy three, active on screen from the mid nineties through twenty twelve, with credits that include small roles in nineteen ninety nine Stormcatcher in two thousand and ones made, as well as one shots in such TV shows as Silk Stockings and Friends. It seems like her longest gig, however, was two hundred and thirty seven episodes of the Australian soap opera Neighbors from ninety three through two thousand and five. So it's a pretty fun performance here.
Speaker 3: Definitely a spot on understanding of what the role is and then delivering that to the audience on the screen.
Speaker 2: All right. Also the Forest family, chick Litz family. They have a Swedish exchange student, a hot Swedish exchange student living with them, by the name of Lars, which is generally you know, played for I like everything played for laugh. There's a lot of exchange student humor here, and Lars is played by Matt Kessler. Born in seventy two, Kessler was active from mostly from ninety four through twenty ten, after which he retired from acting to pursue a career in science. I Believe I've read, with just a brief return for a guest shot on the TV series Grim in twenty fifteen, but his credits include ninety four's Quiz Show, ninety six is Waiting for Guffman, ninety eight's The Last Days of Disco, two thousand Scream three, and Ooh this one kind of flew under my radar until the last minute. But he was in the two thousand Dune miniseries on Sci Fi in which he played fade Rotha Harkanan, so a major role in the Doom miniseries that I completely blinked on until the last minute.
Speaker 3: Here he was missing his horn rimmed glasses so we couldn't recognize him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the horn room glasses would have worked worked great in Dune. That mini series did have a lot of great costumes in it, but I don't remember this performance so much from it, but I've been very tempted to go back and check it out with all the Dune enthusiasm happening now. But it also has some i think rather rough cgi in it, so I'm a little hesitant.
Speaker 3: How far did that mini series gets into the book series.
Speaker 2: Well, they did Dune and then they came back and did one titled Children of Doune, which adapts the second book, Messiah, as well as the third book.
Speaker 3: Children of Dune. Okay, so they pretty much did just the original trilogy more or less.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, Yeah, the big the big hurdle is when you get to God Emperor of Dune with the giant sandworm human Space Emperor, and that's that's that's more of a hurdle we'll see how far they get with the current efforts.
Speaker 3: I feel like Dune is in many ways very similar to the Chronicles of Narnia, where many people want to attempt to adapt the whole thing and everyone runs out of gas after like two or three They're like, eh, you know what this is. This is getting to be a lot of work. We're just gonna stop now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's and anytime Dune is, I mean, Dune is is so successful. And again, I like, I just saw the other day on an article where there's studios are re looking at other Herbert novels. You know, they want to get in on that that huge Frank Herbert payday. But I'm also thinking it's like, all right, I haven't read all of Frank Herbert's other books, but you know, it's like, not everything is going to be Dune. Not everything in the Dune series is what you're expecting from Dune.
Speaker 3: But I would love it if Denis Villaneu actually completes the complete Dune saga. I can't for a second believe that he will, but I would love it if he did. I think that would be an incredible feats of filmmaking.
Speaker 2: I think Messiah is gonna happen. I hope so Dune part three, if you want to call it that, And if he gets that far, I will.
Speaker 3: Be very pleased. Agreed. Yeah, it'll at least feel like a complete story if he finishes Messiah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's see the rest of the cast. Oh no, there's Chicklet's mom. This is Missus Ruth Forrest, played by Beth Broderick, and it's interesting. One of her other key roles of note was playing Sabrina's mom on the ninety six through two thousand and three Sabrina the Teenage Witch series. She also directed three episodes of that show. She started out in her career I think more and more like Erotic Fair and then some sex comedies. There's a spoof of women's prison movies in their titled slam Girls, and then you know, this would have been early in mid eighties, before transitioning increasingly into TV roles. She also pops up in film. She's in nineteen nineties, The Bonfire, The Vanities, and Yeah. She acted in such TV shows as Murphy Brown, Hearts of Fire, The Five Missus Buchanans. She plays one of the Buchanans in that I think CSI Miami Lost Sharp Objects, which we'll come back to in a second, and two episodes of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I believe these are crossover episodes in which they kind of like travel back to the previous adaptation.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: I watched quite a bit of that series, but I never finished it. I definitely never saw that, and that sounds fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't make it that far either, but was impressed with what I had seen.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 2: All right, we've been talking about people that went onto big things. One of them is Amy Adams, who plays marvel Anne, who is I guess she's kind of just not maybe not the Queen Bee of teenage social world, but she's up there. She's definitely one of the cool beach girls.
Speaker 3: As a very very side note from what I heard, marvel Anne on the original stage play was also a drag role, and I'm assuming just like when they adapted the whole play, they're like, oh this doesn't need to be drag either, Okay whatever. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Charles Bush I saw in one interview where he's like, oh yeah, part of me was like, oh, now I can finally get all my friends cast all my friends in this and then he's like, oh, no, we're all too old, but yeah, we have Amy Adams here born seventy four, six time Oscar nominee. This is only her second film or TV role. She started out in Dance in Theater and after this film did a lot of TV and smaller film roles, even popping up in one episode of Buffy. I don't remember her from that either, before hitting it big in Spielberg's two thousand and two film Catch Me If you Can. Subsequent movies include Let's See There's June Bug. That was two thousand and six, I think, two thousand and nine's Doubt, twenty eleven's The Fighter, twenty thirteen's The Master, twenty fourteen's American Hustle, twenty sixteen's The Arrival. In twenty nineteens Vice, she played Lois Lane in the DC Snyder Verse movies and was nominated for an Emmy for the twenty nineteen series Sharp Objects. So it's one of these you know, she's great in it, but it's also one of those roles that it's just interesting because you know how big she's going to become, and you can and you can see the tools already present. In her craft for sure. The queen Bee of the high school is played is Roda, played by Kathleen Robertson. This is a Canadian actress with a lot of TV and film credits, including a series regular role on season six of The Expanse. She was also in Bates Motel and earlier on a series called Maniac Mansion. All right, but okay, so I don't think we've really hinted at this yet, but this is a murder film as well. This is in addition to being a send up of sixties beach comedies, it's also a little bit of a send up of seventy slasher picks.
Speaker 3: Right. Oh, for sure, there's some Jello influences that are very very obvious, and I think perhaps too, I think there are some obvious like Scooby Doo references as well, where they've just heightened the what if Scooby Doo was a Jello film? I think that kind of ties into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so since we have crimes, we also don't have to have an investigator. That investigator is Captain Monica Stark played by Charles Bush. So, as we pointed out earlier, it considered himself too old at this point to convincingly play chicklet, So he wrote himself a new character, Captain Monica Stark, a no nonsense police investigator. And this is also very much a drag performance played for camp and for humor.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: In that ninety three Fresh Air interview, again predates this film, Bush stated that he thought, at least the time of drag performances is often falling into sort of two broad categories, like the beautiful and the stylish, and then something that's maybe a bit more intent intionally lurid. I'm not sure if these classifications really hold true today, because i mean, I'm one hand. Drag performance has certainly always been a part of human performance culture, but it's also come a long way in American culture over the past few decades, and Bush played a big role in popularizing and elevating it early on. So at any rate, he said in ninety three that his performances, he felt fell somewhere in between. And I'd say I'd see Starkling's more classy, you know, more of a classic Hollywood feminine strength kind of a role, but of course again with lots of camp layered on, and ultimately for laughs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Oh and then of course it's a beach party movie, so the music is incredibly important, and Seth, you're you're more plugged into it, into the music scene than me, so you'll have to jump in and talk about some of these acts. You know more brought them than me. But the main score here is composed by being American musician and music producer who's been associated with a number of bands and tons of releases over the years, going back to at least the late seventies, of note being what the Ben Von Combo, the Ben Vn Quintet. His nineteen ninety seven album Rambler sixty five is apparently of note, as he recorded it entirely in his car, a nineteen sixty five Rambler American. So were you familiar with Ben Vaughn prior to this picture.
Speaker 3: Only by name, not by something that I had personally listened to. But someone who I had personally listened to is also involved in this movie. But we'll get to that soon when it.
Speaker 2: Comes to scores for Ben Vaughn. Weirdly enough, one of the earliest credited scores ninety six is a Sue Hart produced and co written Hong Kong action film titled Black Masks, directed by Danny Lee and starring Jet Lee. He's one of like three credit composers on that. But I think this has more to do with music changes made for release in the UK and in the US, so I'm going to mark that one is uncertain. But his scores certainly go back to ninety seven's Lewis and Clark and George, then Psycho Beach Party, and you followed this up with work on TV's Third Rock from the Sun, that seventies show, that eighty show and Grounded for Life makes sense now. The soundtrack is also of note here. The film score features several tracks by Love Strait Jackets, who also appear in the film. They get to perform at the titular beach party that happens late in the picture, you know, very much in the style of you know, having Little Richard pop up in your your old beach party movie. And other artists featured on the soundtrack include man Or Astro Man, The Fathoms, The Halibuts, four Piece Suit, and the Hillbilly Soul Surfers.
Speaker 3: I would say Low Straight Jackets is a band I'm very familiar with. They've been around for such a long time now. I think they have somewhere around thirteen or fourteen albums at this point, and it's just, you know, it's such a fun genre, and you know, being a beach rock surf rock band, just kind of deciding that that's the route you're gonna go down. In many ways, it seems very limiting, but I think in many ways it's also very liberating that once you're kind of in that realm, you can just kind of like mess around all you want as long as you kind of hit certain like, you know, as long as you have like certain tropes that you revisit every once in a while, everything else is free game. And a quick shout out to an Atlanta based surf rock band, I really like the Mystery Men very very good. Yeah, yeah, yea.
Speaker 2: I guess, like you said, it's kind of a decision to never be You're never gonna go after like super mainstream popularity. But if you succeed in this genre, you're gonna have You're gonna have a place moving forward. You're always people are gonna keep coming back to you for this particular sound, this particular vibe, and.
Speaker 3: I think it never quite reached the level of like mainstream success that turned it into something that could kind of like fall by the wayside, like for example, it took something like SKA. SKA suddenly became mainstream popular at one point, and therefore there was a backlash and suddenly people hated SCAT. Come on, how could you hate SCA? But it happened thanks too many you know, swing dances and too many gap commercials and all that kind of stuff. So that being the case, surf rock never really got that like mainstream success, and so therefore it's always just kind of like been this like casual fun thing that everybody likes in the background, just for funnel throughout. Another surf rock band I really love this is a band called La Louse La Luz and they're from Seattle, and they are often called surf Noir, which is very fun, very very very slow. I mean, honestly, just picture what you think surf music out of Seattle would sound like. That's what they sound like, kind of sad, depressed beach music.
Speaker 2: That's a great point on SKA. You know, I hadn't thought about this before, but I listened to a number of the channels on Soma FM, which anyone out there if you want a nice alternative to mainstream radio without ads in multiple music genres. Some of them is a mainstay. I love them and I try to support them, but they'll occasionally, you know, they'll they'll sneak some SKA into if he's one of their channels or or one of their sub shows, and yeah, there is. I hadn't really thought about it, but there is this kind of sense where like SKA was just ragged on so much that to enjoy it you kind of have to sneak it in under the radar, sometimes alongside like you know, sort of other reggae inspire.
Speaker 3: Genres, right right, But you know, people can't deny, you know, the specials are amazing, so is you know, uh Operation Ivy, you know, like like there's some amazing perennial hit SKA out there. I actually, I'll throw out another little plug. There was an amazing little documentary I saw called I want to say it's called pick It Up. I'm gonna google that to make sure real quick, but it was. It was really good actually, And also I'll throw out a quick little plug. There's a documentary I saw not too long ago called pick It Up SCA in the nineties, and it goes through all of like the stages between like you know, first wave SKA, second wave SCA, third wave SKA and it's like backlash against that and hopefully what's coming now, which is fourth wave SKA and hey, another plug for someone who's not paying me. It's on Tooby go watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I When it comes to surf music, I do listen to a little bit of surf music here and there on Soma FM, but I'm not really familiar with a lot of the band specifically. I do occasionally like look up and see who's playing. I know the Blue Hawaiians are featured a lot there, but so they probably were playing jackets as well. I listened to a bunch of them while working on the notes for this episode, and in particular I was really taken with a great horror themed surf album from twenty thirteen titled Mondo Zombie Boogaloo. They're one of three artists on there. There's the Flesh Tones, Southern Culture on the Skids, and lots straight Jackets and it's a lot of fun. There are tracks of I think Southern Culture on the Skids has a track about the Tingler on there. I know that song yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Tingler Blues, I think Southern culture on the skids. By the way, their first EP was nineteen eighty four's Voodoo Beach Party, so they have a little bit of that beach party DNA as well.
Speaker 3: Very nice.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's let's jump into the plot of the film. I don't think we're gonna go blow for blow on everything here, but there's a lot of fun stuff to talk about. Well, let's go to the Psycho Beach Party.
Speaker 3: All right. In the very beginning, we are already in a movie, in a movie. We don't know that yet, but we are. The screen is black and white. We are in uh, what seems like a oh, I'm going to say, like a late fifties you know, kind of like schlocky b movie drive in film. And it's ridiculous. We're in a fifties diner where we see a greaser man trying to talk to the woman that he loves, who can he can only see her face. She's a what is a pizza what are those called when you serve people food waitress? A pizza waitress.
Speaker 2: But she's like, there's like a tiny window, right, She's in the back and it's almost like she's been if you're familiar with bow not bower birds, hornbills the way a male hornbill will put the female hornbill like in the tree and like fill in, so the feeds her through a tiny hole. It's like that kind of vibe. It's strange.
Speaker 3: It's like she's like behind the register at the front of a diner, except there's a huge partition that blocked off everything except her face. And this man cannot hold back his affection and his need to see her, so he tears down the partition, and oh no, she is a three headed mutant. And the two other heads are the fakest heads you've ever seen. They are essentially rubber Halloween masks, just kind of like glued to each shoulder. And we now see that this is a film within a film, and we are at a drive in, and we are going to be introduced to some characters in pretty quick succession. At this drive in, we see little glimpses of what happens on the screen, and we'll get to know this character who's playing on the screen a little bit later. But yeah, suddenly her two heads are gone and she's a giant attack of the fifty foot woman style monster, and like where'd her heads go? I always wondered that, like why when she got bigger, did she lose the other two heads?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I guess in a way, it's kind of reminding you that nobody here except for let and her friend are actually here to see the movie. Everyone is here to at least make out, So it doesn't matter that that everything is out of whack on the screen. But again, it's mostly played for last. But I also kind of like the the tableau here at the beginning of like here's this guy and you know, he's having to look through this little screen to see this the woman that he's in love with. It's like you can only you know, view her through this like thin window, this thin frame. And then when that frame is torn away, it's too much for him, like he loses his mind, she goes on a rampage. Like It's probably like a nice way to summarize sort of the shackles of nineteen sixties and or just general mainstream American culture as seen by people by everyone who has any any kind of inclination to break free from those confines.
Speaker 3: That's a good interpretation. I like it. So, as you mentioned, we have our protagonist Florence aka chick Lit. I'm sure we will call her both throughout our discussion here, but yeah, Florence and chick Lit are the same person. However, at this point in the movie, she is not chick Lit yet. She is just Florence. She's there with her friend, I forget her nerdy friend's name, but anyway, her Dean I believe, played by Danny Wheeler Nice Burdeen. Yes, So Florence and her very nerdy friend Berdein are at this drive in, and as you mentioned, they're the only ones. They're not on dates. They're just two friends trying to watch the movie while everyone else is making out around them and being very sexually charged, et cetera, et cetera. So they are frustrated with this situation in general. But as Florence goes up to the concession stand, we do get a quick kind of introduction to many little characters all over the place. We see this gang of surfers hanging out in one car. We see our main Xander character. He is on a date with some girlfriend of their school. We meet the popular girl Marvel, and she is very enticed with this boy. She doesn't know the Xander character. We slowly, not slowly, we briefly pass by the Swedish exchange student, who of course knows Florence, and we meet him briefly. It's actually kind of fascinating because they quickly throw you into all of this. It's not a traditional structure for introducing characters. It's very much just like almost like an overture to the film we're about to see with very little, like hand holding, very little. There's plenty of exposition, but it's not traditional exposition. It's just it's almost just like a pile of exposition that you are expected to kind of sift through and catch up quickly. And it works, It works just fine. Yeah, yeah, So we are given a very subtle hint during this scene of the character. Florence suddenly goes into a bit of a trance, and then more or less she just kind of like disappears from the scene. We aren't really sure what's happening, what's going on, It's just we know something happened to Florence when she was up at the hot dog concession stand at this drive in theater. Then very quickly afterwards, we see that someone has been murdered.
Speaker 2: That's right, first murder of the film, and it won't.
Speaker 3: Be the last, absolutely not. And what we'll get more into the reasons for these murders later on, but at first, all we know is that someone has been murdered. So now we are thrown into the opening credits and it is a go go dancer, and that's exactly what you need. Surf music and a go go dancer while the opening credits go on. It kind of reminds me of like the opening credits for like do the right thing, you know, or like Rosie Perez is dancing along to it. It's that kind of just extended solo dancer over music while you are being introduced to all the actors and directors and and whatnot.
Speaker 2: It's very aggressive. She is dancing right at you, daring at you the.
Speaker 3: Viewer, much like Rosie Perez and do the right thing. Then we are back and suddenly there is an investigation going on. We see the police captain investigating the murder along with a uniform cop and it's all very I guess, it's all very procedural, like there's nothing like had the ordinary that's going on, but it's all everything is everything that we explain throughout this whole movie is going to be very tongue in cheek, very intentionally corny. But here's the compliment I can give to this entire movie, which I really think is outstanding. Everybody's giving the same level of a corny delivery. Therefore, it's clearly intentional. Everything is happening in a very molded, very directed way, and therefore it works perfectly. Like to compare it to something that doesn't work, think about the movie Batman and Robin Right, the Joel Schumacher second Batman movie from him. That movie is incredible if you only watch Uma Thurman playing a Batman sixty six character like she she understood the assignment. She got it. Uma Thurman delivered the Batman sixty six character that I think Joel Schumacher was looking for, whereas, you know, no offense to every other actor in the movie. They did not. You know, George what's his name, George Clinton played Batman in that movie. Cloney, Yeah, thank you, George Clooney. He was absolutely playing as like a jaded ninety Hollywood star, like that's not the role. He needed to be Adam West in that film, and he didn't. Anyway, Everyone in this film knows that it's Batman sixty six. Everyone is camping it up, all giving the same style of delivery, and it's really wonderful. This is going to be a bit of a strange association, but I do mean it. This movie is almost a trauma film, but it's like a G rated trauma film, which by comparison, is still in R but compared to trauma, it never goes that extreme, but it's still it feels like a gentle light trauma film for the family. That's what it feels like. The pasties are on exactly. Yeah, the bur last click you mentioned, so the murder investigation is happening in the background throughout this film. We will we will check in more with the police captain as things go on. But Florence and Burden are now at the beach and Florence sees all the surfers and she decides that she really wants to be a surfer. You know, she wants to go do this, but everyone is telling her she can't because of her gender. They're saying, no, you can't surf, you're a girl. Get out of here. And ultimately she goes up to this same group of gosh I has to call them a gang a crew. Yeah, I suppose a surf crew is the best word for them. None of them are particularly intimidating. This is where I'm gonna keep calling him Xander. This is where Xander and all his surf friends are all hanging out. Gosh, I want to say, there's like five of them, and they're all more or less, you know, the same kind of guy. So they inform her that they're definitely not gonna teach her how to serve. Florence because they're like boss, the like the head surf bum. The Great Kanaka would think that they were, you know, being completely ridiculous if they were teaching some girl how to surf. So Florence, being a driven female protagonist, goes no, no, no, I will go talk to the Great Kanaka and I will convince him to teach me how to surf because I am driven. So she goes off. She's being very proactive when she goes and finds the Great Kanaka in his very archetypical surf bum shack. Then when she goes in there, he gives the same reaction at first, go away, go away, get out of here. You know, I'm not interested in like hanging out with like a teenage girl and teaching her how to serf. This is ridiculous because I think even in this context her his character, the Great Kanaka is supposed to probably be in his oh thirties at least right late twenties, early thirties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's the king of the beach here, and so he's been around probably a bit too long, literally taky shack on the beach.
Speaker 3: For sure, and so therefore he's like, no, get out of here, I'm not going to teach you. But then at this point we see another one of these spells that Florence experiences a bit of a blackout but a bit of a something. We still aren't quite sure what's going on, but what was teased at in the earlier scene. And suddenly we see that she has thrown herself into a completely different personality named Anne Bowman, and Bowman is now in charge, and Anne Bowman is a is a no nonsense, you know gosh in many ways that is referenced later very much a dominatrix type role, very much an I'm in charge, shut up, I'm getting my way. I'm in Bowman, you know, Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Very much an old Hollywood kind of vibe too, like that kind of like an old Hollywood vixen vibe, but with these with these kinky corners as well, where she's like, I'm gonna what if I put you on a leash and walk you down the beach? And he's excited and terrified by this at the same time, but he's like, like, like, that would be great.
Speaker 3: What would the guys say? Though, it's almost like a Tululah Bankhead performance, very very big and yeah, no no, so yeah, he has no interest in Florence, but a Bowman, Hey, this is great. So he decides he will keep her around. He will teach her, not because he likes Florence, but because he likes Anne Bowman, this alternate personality of hers that is somewhere deep inside of her. So this continues, and it's confusing. No one really knows how to deal with this, including the audience. But he brings her down to the beach and shows her to the guys and goes, no, no, no, we're hanging out with her. She's gonna she's gonna be a part of our crew and we're gonna do this. Uh. She learns how she's introduced to, you know, the gang, and everything's going fine, but quickly they still tease her for for for being a girl, for not being very good at surfing yet to all that stuff, and they give her the nickname of chick Lit because yeah, she's a chick, but she's not even a full chick. She's a chick flat.
Speaker 2: And of course obviously it sounds a bit like Gidget, so it works. We also get all these great scenes of the actual surfing, which I couldn't get enough of because it's like, it's, I guess this is in keeping with the old beach movies, right, it's a it's a combination of actual beach surfing footage and then these totally fake blue or green screen sequences, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's it's all completely phony and very fun. And so yeah, she embraces it. She goes, yeah, I'll be chick Lit. You know, I'm in for this. This is this is gonna be fun. Uh So, now at this point we're starting to kind of sow the seeds of what's going to come as like the murder mystery aspect of this, and Florence aka Chicklet aka and Bowman is definitely like the first, let's say, potential killer. They set up several, well a few potential killers, and Florence is definitely the first one, with her discussing how when she goes into these alternate personalities, the Florence character blacks out. Basically, she goes through these spells of not knowing what's happening at all. Therefore she could be doing anything during that time. So not even Florence herself knows if she is this potential killer that the police captain is investigating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she didn't even know why it occurs. We the viewer, we quickly realize that it seems to be triggered by sexism to a large degree. But then also we eventually realize and Kanaka realizes this is a little bit later on. Am I be getting hit myself here? But it's something about circle patterns as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a triggering method that kind of kicks off from multiple personalities, of which she has at least three or four. I think we definitely see around four of them, but perhaps more in like rapid succession at some points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, an Bowman's the main one, but there's another one that I think she says is based on like a cashier at the local grocery store.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, a strong willed woman.
Speaker 2: And I don't I kind of get the impression there might have been more in the original stage version of this, because again Bush's specialty was like multiple.
Speaker 3: Characters, right, Yeah, I feel like there was at least one that was speaking Spanish. I feel like there was at least one that was an opera singer that you mentioned earlier. Yeah, there were a few in there, but and Bowman is the main one for sure. So we're back at the beach, and this is setting up more characters. There's like this spooky old beach house that has like a lot of rumors about it, and they see that there's this beautiful who is staying in this what's considered to be like a cursed house. It turns out that it's Betina Barnes, the actress that played the three headed woman in that drive in movie. From the beginning of the film, she is renting this house and staying there, and she's staying a bit incognito, just trying to like, you know, have like a nice separation from her Hollywood life. But she very quickly befriends the surf crew and more specifically Burdeen is that's her name, Yes, the nerd friend of Florence. She's feeling a bit neglected by Florence with her finding her new friends with the surf crew, so Berdein becomes like the Gal Friday, the assistant personal assistant to Beatina Barnes. And so that's setting up like another like you know, b story happening throughout this movie. So lots of clues, lots of backstories, lots of setting up all these different little threads and potential red herrings, et cetera, et cetera. But ultimately we are setting up four killers. Okay, we're going to kind of skip the middle of the Scooby Doo episode and kind of kind of get towards closer to the end. The four killers that are being set up. I mentioned Florence, I mentioned Betina Barnes. They never really give Betina Barnes much of like a motive. It's just basically that she's like an outsider, that she is just like like she by coincidence, has arrived around the same time these murders are happening. The other character is Florence's mom. We only see these little bits and pieces of her, but she's strongly implied to be a killer just because she's quite the stickler, quite quite regimented, which ties into the kind of victims we are getting, which I'll get into soon. Yeah. Then the fourth and last is the Great Kanaka. Once again, barely any reasons are given why the Great Kanaka is considered a suspect in this but the Captain is definitely investigating him as one of the four potential killers. I suppose it's just because he's a loner on the beach and he could kind of like get away with whatever he wants, et cetera, et cetera. We also see in a flashback that he's a former police officer and he was the partner of the police captain and they had a romantic relationship that fell apart because of her ambition to raise higher and blah blah blah and not just be a housewife and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's not There's not a love triangle in this film. It's more of like a love cat's cradle because we have chick lit kind of pursuing starcat Aka Xander, and Xander is pursuing marvel Ann and I believe dating her, but also like all the male characters are enraptured by Betina Barnes, right, And and then we have Anne Bowman, the an Bowman personality is in this sexually dominating again played for comedy relationship with Kanaka. And then, like you said, we learn that Kanaka was previously in a steamy relationship with Captain Monica Stark. So there's there's a lot of intricacy to this scenario.
Speaker 3: And to make it even more complex, because why not two of the members of the surf crew are clearly in love with each other. Oh yeah, and at every opportunity they will oil each other up and wrestle on the beach, and you know, it's revealed they're somewhat aware. They're like like they they almost want to tell each other they love each other. They almost want to just be a couple. But you know, it's it being the repressed nineteen sixties. They haven't quite found a way to get there yet. But it's it is funny. They're homoerotic wrestling on the pose. Yes, just just it comes out of nowhere. It just lasts for a very long time, and we even see later on, Like I said, this whole movie is very queer coded. Bettina attempts a kiss with Florence pretty late into the film as well, and it does seem, like you said, a cat's cradle. Everyone wants something, and everyone's a little repressed, and no one can quite just say what they want. No one can can quite just kind of get there and be honest and communicate openly and in many ways just kind of be themselves. That's that's not really in anyone's DNA at this point in this story. So more more kills are happening, and during each of these murders it's very jollo and by that I mean all we see is that the camera is the killer's perspective, and we see a gloved hand performing these deeds, whether it be a stabbing with like a butcher's knife, or whether it be a gosh, what's what are some other murders, they're all pretty ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even remember if we see the method necessarily in like Rhoda's murder, the wheelchair bound sort of queen Bee of the high school social scene, but like she's just we see her in the next scene is like they found her body. Her head very faith looking is just on top of the one of the wheels of the wheelchair spinning in circles.
Speaker 3: That's that's right, And so this is a great time to talk about the kill counts and the reasons why s. Yeah, you mentioned Roda. Roda is like, honestly, she's like the school mean girl more or less. Like I would say, anytime you talk to her, she's going to say something cutting and insulting to anyone who she's talking to. She's not a nice woman at all. And then we have let's see, one of the beach guys has psoriasis, and the only way we know that is because he's the one who's always wearing a T shirt because he's embarrassed. And then the other one is this other guy who there are many references to his testicles. That's just like he's like psychic through his testicles or something. It's many references are made to this that don't quite make sense, and I don't think it's supposed to. And then we had the woman from the drive in at the beginning. So those four are the four victims that we are given throughout this film. What the police captain discovers is that each victim has some sort of like biological otherness to them, something is making them not the average American straightforward person, which of course seems to be like this ongoing theme about here is that, you know, what's the appearance, what's the facade, what are we really? What are we inside? Et cetera. So the first victim from the drive in, she had a hairlip, the second victim, as I mentioned, he had psoriasis, the third victim he only had one testicle. And then the fourth victim, as you mentioned, Robert, she was in a wheelchair. So so there was something quote unquote wrong with them, and by wrong in the eyes of the killer, just means not average, not perfect.
Speaker 2: So we're looking for someone Monica Stark in particular, Captain Monica Stark is looking for somebody who is really down on outsiders, on anyone that's not fitting the thin definition of what a a quote unquote normal person should be in this, you know, this sixty cinematic film world. And of course that means that chick Lit's mom is pretty high up on the suspect list. And for me, as a viewer, like you know, if this war were indeed an Italian horror film, I would be like, oh, well, it's chick lit, right, we were investing this much time in someone's mental illness, like they're probably going to be the killer unless you go for the twist. But it's probably going to be her, but not in this film, Like we like chick lit too much. I feel like she's safe. But the mother seems to be the prime suspect that they're building up. And so that's where I thought it was going.
Speaker 3: And ultimately the police agreed with you. At a point later on in the film, all these killings have happened, all of the set up, all these red herrings, everything's going on, Like I said, very Scooby do. If you like Scooby Doo, you'll like this. The police eventually arrest Florence's mother. They go, no, you are the killer. We know that you've done all these things. That's it. You're going to jail. And it all kind of I would say, it fully pieces together, but like all the puzzle pieces kind of formed together. So Florence has like this memory of herself when she was younger, where her mom like you know, she liked to like, you know, meet the sailors at the port and like, you know, I guess just be promiscuous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she was a patriot.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's true. She was a patriot in her promiscuity and all of this, I guess just had like a sort of an effect on Florence as a child. Ultimately she was pushed aside often so where mother could go off and be a patriot. And so this led to a traumatic event that happened in Florence's very very very young childhood that she had completely blocked out, which was that her and her little brother, which we didn't even know she had, were playing on the swings. Florence, I guess, pushed him too hard and she went over the top of the bar and just flew off like a bottle rocket like it definitely the most ridiculous death in this fiel.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, this is played so over the top and for laughs, is this is not a pet cemetery in this sequence? This is more like a scene from Matilda.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you know, it's looney Tunes for sure. I think there are literal smoke lines from the boy flying off the swing set. So yes, she accidentally was involved in her little brother's death and this affected her and I think perhaps kicked off this whole multiple personalities disorder for her that she was repressing these memories and hopefully blocking them out as a way to deal with them. So this is all sad, and she's worried about this, and her mom has just been arrested. Like a lot's going on. She's not having a great evening. So I'm not sure if you all remember early on we mentioned that there is a Swedish exchange student staying in the house with them. His name is Lars. Lars goes here, I'll drive you home, Florence, come on, let's get out of here, so that they leave, and oh, we got some twists coming. Big twist, Lars is the killer. Spoilers, I'll take that back. Spoilers, Lars is the killer. And ultimately it turns out that when we were referencing that beach house earlier in this film, the one that was like cursed, that there was a big murder spree that happened there where very Michael Meyers esque. It was the young son who was fed up with all of the what he viewed as like weaknesses in his family, all the abnormalities, like I believe what did they say, like you know, one was deaf or something like that, Like each family member had a non average, you know, physical thing, and he hated that. He just wanted to be normal. He wanted everyone to be normal, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. So he killed his whole family and he went on the lamb. So he's continued this that this has been his serial killer thing that he's been doing. His real name is Larry, He's not from Sweden. This is a whole facade. Now. He thought Florence was a perfectly average, normal American girl, and that's what he is fine with. He wants everyone to be normal. But in the revelation that she has a multiple personality disorder, he now has to kill Florence too. So now it's a big chase that they end up at the drive in again. I love the symmetry of the film starting at the drive in and ending at the drive in, very very nice filmmaking there, and you know, chase and chasing, running, running, all that kind of stuff, and Lars is he falls off the top of the drive in screen and falls to his death. Everything is resolved, happy ending, right, Everyone's everyone's happy. This is all I think.
Speaker 2: Monica like shoots him off of it. It's like she's up there too.
Speaker 3: Right, So yeah, it's it's a it's a whole action running around scene. But yeah, there we go, happy ending. The killer has been dealt with. But wait, twist, this entire film was a delusion inside Florence's head. She is in a modern mental health institute and she is receiving electroshock therapy. She's looking around at her and everyone around her are characters that are inside of this psycho beach party story, like I believe Roda was like the nurse who was like applying the electrodes, and we get a bit of a wizard of Oz like oh and you were there, and you were there. We got one of those moments. And then twist, twist, twist. It turns out this is a movie in a movie in a movie, and we see a couple of youths at a modern drive in watching this film, the film of Florence inside the mental institute. So they're upset about this. They're like, what's it was all a dream? What a terrible ending? This is corny, And then we are treated with a final scare in which Anne Bowman jumps out of the back seed of their car wielding a butcher knife. Yea then we cut to the go Go Dan serum, we get some credits. I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just to drive home that this was all about laughs guys. Yeah, and I also I do love that the initial twist of like, oh no, it's the electroshock scenario. It does seem to reference, of course overtly the Wizard of Oz that they and you were there and you were there, but also nineteen eighty five's Returned to Oz, in which electroshock therapy is plays a major plot point in the you know, the non Oz portions of the film. Yeah, so yeah, they they ended with laughs, end it very broadly and ridiculously, you know, repeat yourself. It's just a show that's sort of a feel. But yeah, this one was. This was such a fun film, you know, never a dull moment, a lot of a lot of laughs, and not everything necessarily lands. And this is I think I've got to come back to the Strangers with Candy compare, and you know, like this is this is again a nineteen eighties like late eighties comedy that was adapted to a two thousand comedy film. So not all the comedy, especially since it's you know, it's kind of burless dragstyle humor of the time period. Not everything's going to necessarily translate as well to for modern viewers, but for the most part it works really well. And yeah, if you're if you're a fan of things like Strangers with Candy, if you're a fan of John Waters films and anything like that, I highly recommend it. I think it's a really fun flick.
Speaker 3: It definitely deserves a larger audience. So even if you listener want to be just one more person who has said that they've seen Psycho Beach Party, I recommend that you do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, if you're fans in any of the actors are creatives involved here, are definitely worth looking them up. And if you just just want to want a surf movie, you just want to go to a beach party, and we do get a beach party. Late. We didn't really talk about this much, but this is this whole scene where there the surfers are going to do a virgin sacrifice to some sort of a god, and of course chick Lit ends up she's going to be the virgin sacrifice, but then goes into Ann Bowman mode mid sacrifice, and they're like, oh, and Bowman's not a virgin. We can't do this shuts the whole thing down.
Speaker 3: And there's of course a dance off between Tina Barnes and marvel Anne, which is really wonderful. I mean, like all the tropes from a beach movie are in here, and yeah, we skipped over pretty much all of the middle. So there's a lot to enjoy and have unfold for you, even if you've heard our description.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you know the spoiler, it doesn't matter. Does not really depend on.
Speaker 3: Knowing or not knowing this, I mean it is it does feel actually like like I said, very Scooby Doo and like, wait, who's the killer that person that we saw once an hour ago?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it doesn't really factor in. I think. I think the way they discover it is they see a picture of the child who you used to live in the house and they get out a felt tip pen and draw the horn rimmed glasses. Yeah, fars I have the photoco like it's him, so good, so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, Steph, Well, I've got I got a two part question for you. First of all, on Rusty Needles Record Club, have you ever discussed surf beach party music? And either way what have you been talking about recently on Rusty Needles Record Club and where can folks.
Speaker 3: Listen to it? Yes, we have discussed surf and beach music in particular around let's see what have been around Halloween of this last year. One of the things I love about the nineteen sixties is that a lot of trends happened around the same time, and so they all kind of overlapped. Like you know, there was there was a monster craze in the nineteen sixties at the same time that there was a beach craze happening. So there are a lot of gosh, what's what's the word for it, I guess synergies. And so we were covering a lot of the the monster craze, beach music and surf music from the nineteen sixties this last October, and gosh, it's fun. It's such a fun, fun genre. In fact, as long as I'm talking about sixties movie monster surf music, I will mention one of my favorite compilations of that era. It's a three disc set called Halloween Nuggets Monster Sixties A Go Go Oh. It's like every novelty sixties surf monster song that's ever existed all in one collection. It's incredible. So yeah, yeah check that out. Halloween Nuggets, Monster Sixties A go go have a good time.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I just looked this up. This this does look amazing.
Speaker 3: It's really good and if you can't track that down. It was very much inspired by these series of compilations called Lux and Ivy's Favorites, which was just a fan made compilation of all the music that Lux and Ivy from the Cramps really enjoy. There are I think eighteen volumes of it at this point. Another place you can get really good just kind of like spooky out there, like psychobilly and like surf music. So yeah, anyway, if you like music, talk, that's what I do on Rusty Needles Record Club every week. And what have we been up to lately? To answer your other question, Robert, we are currently doing a alphabetical trip through the record store where each week we are going one letter deeper into the alphabet and we're trading between our listeners, myself and my co host and deciding which album is next. So let's see. We did o Toboke Beaver this last week, an incredible punk band from Japan. I believe next week we're doing the Pete's Dragon soundtrack, which is utterly ridiculous. Oh wow, and the ultimate goal. If you've never heard my show before, Rusty Needles Record Club is a show where I am going to listen to every single album that has ever existed. I am greedy in my music consumption and I must hear it all and then I must talk about it with my friends, because that's what I enjoy doing. So so far, so good, so far. I am on track to listen to every album ever made. We do one episode per week, every Friday, and it is one album per episode, and it's a fun time and ultimately we are very genre agnostic, and it's just about being a music fan. It's about loving all music and wanting to hear everything that's ever been So that's that's Rusty Needles Record Club. It's a fun series.
Speaker 2: It's a noble suit and yeah, I encourage the listeners to, if nothing else, check in and just take a look, because whatever genre you're into, there's a very good chance you guys have touched on it at one point or another.
Speaker 3: Very true. We want it all, we'll cover it all all right.
Speaker 2: Well, Seth, thanks for coming on the show. Again and chatting about movies. I'm sure we'll ask you back again in the future. Here just a reminder to everybody out there, Weird House Cinema occurs Fridays in the Stuff to Blow Your Mind podcast Feed. Podcast Feed is primarily concerned with science and culture, but on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. If you want a list of all the movies we've covered thus far, as well as sometimes a peek ahead at what's coming out next, go to letterbox dot com. It's l E T T E R B O x D dot com. Our user profile on there is weird House, and there is in fact a list, and it's fun to interact with. If you can, you know, divide things up by genre a decade, and just in general, you know, you can give your own little reviews and cataloging and wish lists for films that you've watched or wished to watch in the future. Thanks as always to jj Possway the excellent Jjpossway for producing this show, and if you want to get in touch with us, you can email Joe and myself at contact at Stuff to Blow Your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.