Speaker 1: Financial markets can no longer ignore the impacts of climate change, shifting consumer expectations and increasing regulatory scrutiny. These forces are reshaping industries, redefining risk, and creating new opportunities for long term value creation. Through conversations with industry leaders, investors, and subject matter experts, we explore where sustainability is translating into measurable financial outcomes. Welcome to Sustainability Currents, brought to you by Bloomberg Intelligence.
Speaker 2: Commercial real say is facing growing pressure from rising insurance costs, more frequent extreme weather, and increasingly stringent building performance standards. As these pressures affect operating costs, financing, and asset values, investors are paying closer attention to how buildings perform their full life cycle, not just energy efficiency, but also resilience and long term asset performance. Today we'll discuss how building performance is measured, which metrics matter most to investors, and where resilience investment is reshaping the economics of the built environment. Joining me today is Brando Wheeler, director of operations for bram USA. Briannau. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for having me our pleasure.
Speaker 2: So perhaps we can kick off with setting the stage for listeners who may be less familiar with BRAM, could you briefly explain what it is and the role that plays in today's commercial real estate market.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure so. So BRIHAM was the very first green building certification program we launched in nineteen ninety and we are completely about building science, right, So the certification initially was about understanding how buildings were performing against you know, kind of the star of sustainable development. But ultimately what brand certification does now is provide transparency on sustainability risks and opportunities at the asset. So developers or owners measure their asset or project's performance against the standard and certification provides the transparency to their stakeholders about that performance. So, in development, it reflects the developer's decisions made during the design process and during construction of the asset that ultimately set the performance trajectory of that asset. In operations, for existing assets, it reflects the asset as built and how it's being operated. And for renovations or fit outs, it reflects the extent to which the work is optimizing the asset to continue to perform or improve performance over time. So Bram's ratings really allow a wide performance spectrum anywhere from the highest performance achievable in a building for our current time to projects that have incorporated sustainability maybe on a smaller scale. All those projects represent risk and opportunity, and the certification can inform investors, owners, and future buyers about the asset itself.
Speaker 2: Thank you. That's helpful to hear, and perhaps a bit telling too, would be to talk a little bit on market evolution. So one trend we've been following is that resilience is showing up in many different conversations, from insurance and financing to building performance standards and physical climate risk. I'm curious how that compares with what you're seeing directly from clients. You know, what are the biggest changes maybe you've seen in the conversations you're having over the past few years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, resilience has been a really interesting topic and one which even maybe six five, six years ago was seen as quite niche. And so the focus has really changed. I mean operational energy efficiency and buildings. You know, that's been that conversation has been going on since the nineteen seventies, and even with that understanding, over all this time, it's really been a slow adoption right. The importance on operational energy efficiency really has varied depending on where we've been in the energy cycle. Basically, it was a tolerable waste as long as energy prices were acceptable. You know, Assessing physical climate risk has gone from that niche practice to mainstream really in just the last five years. It's been an incredible adoption rate. It's been helped by the accessibility of tools that help interpret those complex concepts like climate scenarios and asset level exposure to hazards. But really it's because the last five years has seen the realities of climate change with extreme weather events hitting asset value. Real estate is ultimately a risk management business, right, Understanding what's going to impact the income over the whole period and ultimately that determines asset value at exit. Climate risk is really something that can be understood and acted on to protect that assets value over time. So the last three years, you know where the hottest on record, and the summer of twenty twenty four, some eighty percent of Americans experienced a climate change enhanced emergency, so extreme heat, extreme cold, wind events, and wildfires, and we're really seeing that that widely shared lived experience has helped real estate owners and investors understand that this is having and will continue to have real impacts, and they need to prepare to protect their assets value for the longer term.
Speaker 2: And so you know, you touched on I think some of the key economics here where physical risk is you know, hitting asset value. I'm sure too though that when it comes to economics like those, changing priorities even ultimately influence where owners choose to invest. So for investors, the important question is you know whether those investments produce measurable financial benefits risks. So where are building owners seeing that you know, the strongest financial return from improving building performance and resilience.
Speaker 3: So it's it's an interesting time, right. So energy efficiency, operational energy efficiency was always you know, it always paid on some level. The question was how long would it take? Right? And so now the combination of energy affordability and availability has come to the to the forefront. And that also is twinned with resilience as a whole. So the resilience of our grids, the ability to you know, protect our asset, and these these things are all intertwined. Right, So the energy availability and affordability question really has brought this to a critical point, and it means that operational energy efficiency is you know, coming much more to the force. So you know, whereas once getting access to energy was considered routine, we now have many markets where demand well outstripped supply and that's leading to long wait times to get connection for development that costs money. Right, Utilities are just not ready to support that demand that's coming through. So on a lot of places, prices arising and that's really improving the payback calculation on energy efficiency and energy costs are starting to hit tenants hard and they're starting to look for spaces that reduce their operating costs. Real estate owners can offer at least building level operational energy efficiency, whether they're triple at least or managing the asset directly as a way of attracting and retaining tenants. In many ways, operational if energy efficiency actually is becoming a resilience issue, because when you have an efficient building, you're also building resilience into that asset. You're hardening that asset against extreme weather events. You are also being able to create environments in which when we have extreme weather events, the people inside those buildings can stay safe. Right. So it's it's interesting to see that the intersection of these two things happening and actually seeing that operational energy efficiency plus the more traditional things we think about resilience are actually pulling together to say. When we're talking about kind of looking at the bigger picture of how can we make buildings more resilient, they're intertwined, they're all together, and when you do those different projects together, Really we're talking about from a cost perspective. A lot of this is focused on insurance costs. We know insurance premiums have gone up in a lot of cases that has really impacted NI and asset value. How do we manage that in a changing climate. Focusing on the energy efficiency the asset plus the additional resiliency elements that can protect that asset can help manage those insurance costs over the longer term. Again, this is a risk management business, right, and insurance is ultimately a risk management project. It's all about understanding those risks and taking the calculated steps forward. Some of the bigger players, you know, where you have large assets, so you can actually spread risk in different ways. You can be strategic. That's going to be good, they're going to be okay. But really the insurance costs come to folks who can't spread that risk in different ways. They're exposed to hazards that they can't they can't mitigate, So how are they going to manage that over the longer term. That's a really big part of it. But you know, it's interesting that the answer that we've had for forty years continues to be a really critical one. When you create energy efficient buildings, you also create more resilient buildings along with that.
Speaker 2: That's helpful to hear, and I think you know clear of how it's impacting not just operating costs, but the insurance element. I think we tend to discuss these topics though at a market level, but they could be easier to understand through real world examples so much more specific. Can you perhaps share an example where the BREAM framework meaningfully influence perhaps a client's investment decision or even the long term performance of an asset. Yeah. Sure.
Speaker 3: So many of our clients are using brand certification as a process for kind of getting their house in order right, to position the assets, and really to understand where these assets are starting from today, right, getting the understanding of the sustainability risks and opportunities that are there, and for a lot of buildings, shocking. I know, lots of owners don't have a lot of information about it, right. They have some basics that come from a property condition assessment that's conducted in a two week due diligence period, right, and you know, you can learn a lot of information from that, but ultimately you have to understand what you own and what the reality of that is on the ground. So we've worked with a lot of clients who are kind of kind of starting from the basics of filling in data gaps that they should have just for everyday performance, let alone for sustainability. Right. So this process can provide really a structured way to gather documentation. It needs to be gathered, validated, and submitted as part of our process, and it really helps them get those assets into position to be able to manage going forward, right, really understanding what the what the basics are, and then to be able to bring in improvement plans. So our process requires not only documentation, but we have a really rigorous certification process which includes an assessor trained and licensed by vary to verify that performance on site. So you know, getting all that together, that initial certification for many of our clients is about you know, understanding, okay, where we now, let's go get that building building and improvement plans, let's say, on top of verified data and information. And that's really critical. So in the last couple of years we've published case studies with Newvene EQT real Estate and axi im Alts which is now BMP Pariba, where they've described how BRIM has really helped them understand the performance and set their improvement pathway for the future to deliver value. And I think one of the most exciting things about this is that we are not talking super high performing assets right now, right like, this isn't about the super shiny things. These are about really buildings that reflect a lot of our current building stock, which is that they may be on the lower performance scale, but there are absolutely ways that they can move forward, that they can improve and actually drive value through that process. So sustainability, I think for a long time was thought about is something that you know, we do for high performance assets already. You know, it's kind of like given the high five to but that's not where the risk sits. So for those clients, I think, particularly in those case studies, it was a great demonstration of how they were looking at this as you know, how sustainability can really help drive that value wherever this asset's performance sits.
Speaker 2: Exactly what I wanted to kind of dive in next. I mean, one challenge the industry faces is that most of like tomorrow's building stock has already been built, but new constructions only part of the equation. And you know you spoke already a ton on this, But what are clients prioritizing I guess when deciding how to retrofit existing assets.
Speaker 3: So the two things I think that are the most immediate or kind of what I mentioned before, so cost you know that certainly is sharpening pencils on the efficiency side, right. The other eye is to regulation for existing buildings. So you mentioned, you know, around building performance standards. So we've seen retrofits to reduce energy usage. It's been particularly active in those jurisdictions with building performance standards. But we're also seeing particularly national owners really looking at where building performance standards may emerge, or even using building performance standards as a framework for all of their assets to think if a building performance standard came in, how would this asset perform? I mean, you know, as of twenty twenty four, about twenty five percent of all buildings in the US were covered by a building performance standard, and there's many jurisdictions that are still considering rolling them out. So for clients who are thinking about that regulation, they're thinking about also resilience and the hazard exposure that they have and needing to mitigate or manage that risk. What we're seeing with retrofits is actually bringing those two things together. What are interventions or changes that can be made where energy and resilience intersect. So high efficiency buildings, you know, cutting cutting energy use that can also need that mean that you know, backup solar or solar powered battery systems can be smaller, cheaper, and run longer during extreme events. Those all provide value in the asset and in aggregate. When buildings reduce energy demand and participate in demand management programs, it decreases stress on the grid and helps avoid blackouts which have those wider economic consequences. So we're really seeing the twinning there thinking about how can solutions do more things? What are the co benefits? I mean, find me a solution that reduces energy usage, you know, delivers additional resilience and protects occupant health and well being, and you've got a business case winner, so really looking for the solutions that do all of those things. And I think you know, certainly, given with the acute events, there's been a focus rightly so around life safety and comfort that has come in. You know, for real estate, ultimately we're a building's business, but we're also about people, right, It's really about occupants for a lot of it. How do we ensure that people stay safe during these events? You know, efficient buildings that can maintain reasonable internal temperatures mean that occupants can shelter in place right as long as the building structural integrity is maintained. And I mean this is really critically important for multifamily but also for commercial properties too. Right, people's productivity is damaged, particularly by extreme heat, so it increases fatigue, gets so those reaction times, and it raises the rate of mistakes. That's a business issue. So you know, bringing all of those two things together, we need to we need to start fortifying our buildings for the climate that we have in the future and really the one we're facing right now, just for it to maintain the value over that time. And there's a lot of building stock that really needs that help. So, you know, the way we look at it is like it needs to be about all buildings everywhere. How do we move those all forward? How do we you know, keep them uh, you know, keep them focused or the ownership focused to keep moving those forward? And how do we provide a means of measuring that that is really you know, science based and delivers value over the longer term.
Speaker 2: And I guess that would just again stem from the growing importance of consistent, comparable data like uh, you know, obviously investors increasingly rely on that building performance information when they're evaluating assets, but not all data is created equal. And you mentioned the bit on the importance behind having you know, some kind of data to derive insights. You can't manage what you don't measure, the famous saying that everyone likes to be used the you know, obviously brain emphasizes third party verification. But like, why is independent building performance data so valuable for building owners and for investors?
Speaker 3: It's a great question. You know, we start at kind of the basis of building science, right, So our organization, be Area, is a one hundred plus year old building science research organization, and you know, we're the first to say there are a million different ways that you can measure performance, But ultimately what is meaningful What can you not only understand but influence and change as an outcome.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: We often talk about this in the difference like when you have an existing building, most people can't change the walls unless you're going to do a major you know, retrofit. Right. So you got the asset that you have, how can you optimize within it? Within that? Right? So for us, the first thing is establishing what are the what are the data points that matter? How does it have impact? So you know, for example, you know we've talked about energy efficiency. Really energy efficiency is important, but ultimately from an impact perspective, it's about how much carbon is produced from the from the energy that goes with that, right. So you know operational energy FREEMS recognized operational carbon emissions in our standards right from the beginning because science told us that's where the impact was going to be. So we focus on looking at the metrics that really matter and that are measurable and end can be and can be changed or influenced right through through changes in management. Okay, so real estate is ultimately about managing risks, right in order to manage those risks. One, you have to understand what the risk is and the data that underpins that that's going to tell you. So again narrowing it down from the billion and one things that you can measure down to the things that really matter. But the independence of that data, right, Like you said, not all data is the same, and it's really important for investors to be able to trust the information that they're being given. Right, do they trust that the risks are being managed and that the performance is as they are being told? And I think we're in very much a trust but verify kind of society, right that comes behind this. So Briham's process is really building on that. We take it a step further through requiring the on site visit, right because you know, it's not just what's shown on paper but actually backed up what's seeing on site. And you know, I mean any owner can tell you, you know, when they've purchased something, and they may walk in and there's always a surprise, right. I don't think there's any real estate owner and manager in the business who hasn't had at least one of those in their career. So the independence of the assessor from the owner and even from bre really makes them the independent third part verifying the performance achieved, so you know, it's not just what's set on paper, but it's actually what's going on in the assets. And it's important to note right, most assets in the building stock, like I said, are not high performance buildings. That adds risk to the asset, but that doesn't make it uninvestable, and in fact, one could argue that actually the more you know brown quote unquote a building is the more desperately it needs that investment. Right. The key is providing the transparency of the extent of the risks and opportunities and allow the investor to make an informed decision. Being really clear on the critical metrics to measure is part of that, and that's where we come at this from a science base. Trust the science to define those metrics.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, And I'd love to touch on AI now if that's okay. You know, on our side, we've spent quite a bit of time just researching AI infrastructure, particularly around the how water, power and cooling all play in this space. And as data centers become larger, more resource intensive, they're introducing a different set of design and operational challenges that I would say traditional well compared with traditional commercial buildings, and so would be great to hear from conversations you've had, even perhaps some of the certificates you guys were able to issue using BREAM, Like, how are those trends changing the way clients maybe think about designing and just overall operating data centers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great one. I mean, it wouldn't be a conversation if we didn't bring up AI at this point, right. It's a really I mean, it's a really exciting space, and this is interestingly presenting us some really incredible challenges in thinking about resource management and availability. I mean, there was always the theoretical, you know, reaching a limit of what we have available, and data centers have kind of brought that into into reality. Certainly on energy, we're already experiencing it, and I think the fears around energy limitations of energy availability are coming kind of into the water sphere now. You know, let's start with water though, because I think this is a really big one. You know, there's been some pretty wild estimates out in the media about how much water data centers consume. Ye as if that consumption would be uniform no matter where the data centers are built. So you know, I mean I've been I've been working in the data center sector for at least two years now. I'm helping develop our standards and updata standards around data centers and you know, and I work with a number of operators we have, we've issued certificates for data centers for over ten years. And I think what's interesting there is, like the miss that's being made is that really, when I comes to water, the critical thing to consider is the cooling strategy that's being used because that's where the water consumption comes in. And that cooling strategy is very different climactically. Right. This isn't a one size fits all where we're throwing up the same building whether we're building in Phoenix or you're building in the Great Lakes area, Right, So there is absolutely a potential to be consuming millions of gallons of water. That's absolutely possible. But practically speaking, most data center developers are now installing closed loop systems which do not use that. And that's not just in water stressed areas. That's in a lot of different areas. There is a challenge around refrigerants. We can't be blind to the fact that refrigerants aren't necessarily benign as their impact, but it is not necessarily the water stress that's there. And I think I think a lot of data center operators are very conscious of partly because the energy the energy limitations that are now being hit, really conscious of what happens if you don't have that. Those are critical material, uh significant issues, right, So what transparency is not not present at the moment, and I think that's stirring a lot of fears about what does this mean? And we should be concerned. I mean, water is really critical. There is no life without water, and so for me, it's even more critical than the energy conversation. We need to be able to manage that.
Speaker 2: Just to make the matter a little bit more complicated to you, I would just throw in there that a lot of these you know, closed loops zero water cooling designs, a lot of it is also announced for the new build out, which kind of goes back to what we touched on earlier, the importance of retrofitting existing you know assets, and at least to your point, having disclosure so insight into you know, what is there cooling strategy And though that is like a huge part of their consumption, really their water footprint largely anchors in how they're sourcing their electricity, because if it's powered by water intensive fuel types like coal, natural gas, nuclear, that's a whole other issue that makes it even more you know, important for.
Speaker 3: Those who are in the in the GHG inventory or calculation business. I started talking about Scope three water not that long ago, and people shuddered, you know, it was that idea about yeah, like, I mean, it's not it's not in the protocol yet, nobody needs to worry. But but that's essentially what we're talking about. We're talking about the impacts from from that generation. And yes, that is absolutely hidden at this point. We don't have a method for calculating. And but it's interesting, right, Like you know, the GHD protocol came about where people were like, you know, there's two things that we care about. Really the core things is what are we generating on site? What you know, emissions we're generating on site, and then what power are we purchasing? Scope three for GHD emissions came later, right, This idea about actually there's a lot of different things. When you look at Scope three of the GHD protocol, there's fifteen different categories. There's a lot of different ways. I think we'll come to water in the same way. Right, we need to focus on you know, what are we using on site, the efficiency of that, and really I think from a data center perspective, it's around site selection where you know, I mean, we've got the twinning of like I think energy is the bigger thing at the moment. You know, water you can solve, you can have. I wouldn't call it waterless data centers, but again there's alternatives that are not water that actually would not be then a barrier to citing a data center. I think the power aspect, though, I mean, that's going to come down the line. At this point, we're just talking about, you know, what can be transmitted down the way line even I mean for a lot of folks, it's like can it be transmitted down the line?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Availability rather than even an affordability in some level. I think the thing that's interesting about data centers is like, you know, in the standard real estate world, you know, a small efficiency gain, you you know, the the you know, the being counters would say, well, you know, it's kind of a small gain. It's not really a big deal. It doesn't move the needle, whereas even like a five percent efficiency gain at a data center could mean millions of dollars, and so there's real you know, drive to make that work, uh and actually to drive those efficiencies. So, you know, just like everything else we see, you know, AI infrastructure is basically turning into you know, everything else on steroids. I think it's been a really good learning case for the rest of real estate to say, actually, you know, in a world of limitations of limited resources, how do we choose what's important? How do we choose who gets energy and who doesn't. Why do we choose that? Water is another really great way. I mean, that's another very interesting facet and you know what's going on in the Colorado River right now with that system that is again it's a mirror to what we're doing in energy. But ultimately, you know, we need to think about all of those different aspects. How do we work together as an economy to be able to access that in that energy? You know, I think a lot of power is more difficult, right because ultimately the power demand is being driven by the equipment and the building and that's out of the control of data center developers and operators. It just is right, you know, Navidia and others are making determinations about how energy intensive or energy efficient their equipment is going to be and the data but the data center developers and operators are the face of it right to the communities. So you know, I mean think about it this way, right, Industry buildings can be used from everything from logistics warehouses to advanced manufacturing. The energy usage in those use types is totally different, but that's driven by tenant use, you know, not the building itself. So how do you manage that? You know, for data center developers and operators, a lot of that is going to be about figuring out what is within their responsibility and control and making sure that that is as efficient as possible, while also you know, working with their their occupiers, their digital occupiers. You know, it's interesting in the office sector, you know, many owners have requirements on the energy efficiency of the equipment that can be installed in the building, you know, to ensure the design or actual energy load provided is maintained. Right, there's only so much power they can do. With data centers, there's no such limitation. And there's a good reason for that, and that is because the equipment is changing so quickly at this point. How how to manage that is very very difficult. Ultimately it becomes about power allocation. You know, is as a digital tenant you go into a data center, you're paying for a certain amount of power allocation. There's penalties for going over that allocation, right, But ultimately, so if you're installing equipment that is more intensive there, it is, right, but ultimately that is something that's being made, the decisions being made by the tenants to put in that particular equipment. I think one of the biggest you know, this is a multi faceted challenge. Data center developers and operators need to focus on how they create buildings that are really energy efficient from a building systems perspective to and resilient as well to go with that. But it's also up to the digital tenants, the occupiers of this, and the equipment manufacturers, the IT folks to really think about their equipment. It's energy efficiency, it's processing and ultimately I think, I mean the big one that's kind of hidden is the e waste that's coming out of this. The refresh rate is just incredible, and again another sneaker, we're all busy looking at power, what's that going to be just to get this dang thing online, and really, what's going to happen in five years time when they need to refresh all the equipment. Where's it all going to go. What's going to happen to it is going into a local landfill? Gosh, I hope not. But we need a circular economy and we need it fast.
Speaker 2: Right And I think that goes back to the cascading effects of the supply chain, where it's you know, we're looking at waste, we're looking at energy, there's water, so very complex. But hopefully as time goes on, we're getting more answers, or at least there's more companies that are kind of showing leading by example and showing the way for others to move forward.
Speaker 3: You know, I think the biggest thing here is the transparency piece. There's a lot of fear going on right now about what's happening because there just isn't the transparency that we expect or we've had from other industries. Bring the transparency and we will ease the concerns and the fears. I think that's going to be the first step. And ultimately, like I've said about Braham, that's kind of why we're here in the first place, but also you know, being able to be clear about those impacts and the you know, the cost and the benefits.
Speaker 2: Gotcha. And maybe on that note we can end more on a question that's forward looking, so, you know, looking beyond today's market, investors are trying to understand which performance metrics are likely to become more important over the next decade, as the regulations evolve and as the physical risks continue to change. Perhaps looking ahead of just five years, what building performance metrics do you think investors and property owners will pay much closer attention to than they do today.
Speaker 3: I think in the US it's going to be about energy use intensity EUI for a segment of the market, and certainly from a global investor perspective, they will continue also to focus on carbon use intensity. But I think EUY is going to be the core metric, partly because a lot of guys sits for the regulation, and I think we're going to see those building performance standards start to be implemented much more broadly. You know, the the withdrawal of the federal government from looking at these issues has not stopped, and effect probably is accelerated state and local action to bring in UH, regulations that will manage carbon emissions, so I think I think EUY though, will be even more important. That's the regulation side, that's the energy affordability and availability, and I think ultimately certainly on the development side UH for non data centers, I think the the ask for development, you know, the energy asks that's going to come from developments, is going to be heavily questioned as there's so much pressure on the grid. I don't see that changing for the next five years. I think some of this is also going to come in with on site generation and battery storage, right, so you know, twinning those things about how do we continue operating, how can we reduce our reliance on the grid, and then how do we go through blackouts which are more likely or they feel more likely at this point because of the strain on the energy consumption we even have today as utilities move forward. So I think that's going to be the next thing is not just you know, are you getting enough energy where are you getting it from? But how are you going to maintain that operation, whether for residential, for multifamily, or for a commercial business through periods of extreme weather, heat or cold and other events. And then I think the other one is going to be, you know, the movement. Right now, I think most investors are asking questions about physical climate risk. Have you assessed? Do you understand? I think the next five years is going to be about and what are you doing about it? Are you doing anything? And actually and not to I mean, obviously I always make a plug for we should be doing something about it, right, but there is also a decision of not acting right and but that also has to be transparent. There is a case in some ways where people would not invest in those things, but it's just as important to ask why not as much as why.
Speaker 2: So I feel like.
Speaker 3: You know that the real move is going to be from you now understand the risk? How are you applying this? And that's going to be a big change, particularly you know, this is an al Ninio year, right it is building and the more events we have, the wildfires in particular, the more I think this is really praying on people's minds about how we're going to continue to adapt to the world that's really changing quite quickly around us.
Speaker 2: Wonderful, Brianna, Thank you so much for joining us today and for sharing your perspective, and thank you to everyone for listening, so if you're interested in learning more, you can explore Bloomberg Intelligences Prepare and Repair theme and other physical environment themes by going to BI space theme on the Bloomberg Terminal, or you could read additional research from the Bloomberg Intelligence Sustainable Finance team by going to bi Space ESG. Thanks for listening, and we hope you'll join us again for next episode.