Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys blowing out of the backfield, exploding down the sideline.
Speaker 1: He is hanging with the Voice presented by Wing Stuff where Flavor gets its wings. Now, your hosts, Nate Newton, Kurt Daniels, Jesse Holly, and Shannon.
Speaker 3: Gross, Welcome to the show Thursday. You're looking live at Tostitos Championship Plaza outside the Ford Center to Star and Friskill.
Speaker 4: It's kind of busy, some kids out there, a lot of stuff going on. Chris, did Inham get loose back there?
Speaker 5: Not?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, just taking sure those aren't your kids.
Speaker 3: It is forty five degrees with a high forty six, the lowest thirty five, and.
Speaker 6: That is Shnning. He is Nate in the back.
Speaker 7: Is Chris holding down with a lot of company back there, I am Zaddy Holly. Together we make Hanging with the Boys the sports talk equivalent of braille people.
Speaker 6: When we don't have court.
Speaker 7: Today, but outside of the hallway we do have the Duncanville Panthers.
Speaker 8: Oh is that who that was?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Duncanville Panthers are out there. The State chimps. I think back to back, back to back, back to back. Duncanville State chips.
Speaker 4: Uh five or six?
Speaker 8: He Chris six? Yeah, d one?
Speaker 4: Will there be a seven a soon? They should be. Yeah. Some big boys that looks like a college team up there.
Speaker 2: And all them kids with juniors what Yeah, I think about twenty kids out there, and I think.
Speaker 8: Juniors. Story real quick?
Speaker 3: So someone there's never been a story you told in your life that was real quick.
Speaker 4: Ever, soon was out there and told some kid man, I would lock you down.
Speaker 8: And the kid looked down at it. It looks down at everything goes not no shoes. That was fun. That was funny. Ever just started, Man, that's good. That's good.
Speaker 3: Brought to We're brought to you each and o today by a wingstop where Flavorite gets its WI.
Speaker 4: Look, I know we're pasted it.
Speaker 8: We're on to Detroit.
Speaker 3: You don't want to be in Miami this week anyway? Today sixty two degrees and rainy supposed to be below sixty tonight Miami.
Speaker 4: So we're good. We're good. We're good.
Speaker 3: What's what's the temperature in at and T Stadium? Chris seventy probably seventy three seventy three. You think something like that, no wind, no rain, no elements. Have they opened the roof for the doors yet this year?
Speaker 8: Zero? Really, I think that's because of the kickers doing so well.
Speaker 4: It's not Yeah, that's not Joe.
Speaker 6: We're not superstitiousious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, Sony.
Speaker 3: Do you have a you want to kick it off with a Jimmy story or you want to wait till later in the show, we'll think about what Jimmy.
Speaker 6: Jimmy was a good man.
Speaker 2: Jimmy walked into a meeting one time and it was a special team meeting and we would all get there.
Speaker 8: The rule was you had to get there.
Speaker 2: And I started this rule where one time it was a minute till and I'm like, Coach, everybody here but one guy. Let's get going. So we started. Then about a week later it was three four minutes. Everybody was in there. Say, Coach, if this dude walk in, you got to give him the maximum five. The dude walked in, Coach gave to do the maximum five for being who was a dude?
Speaker 8: I don't know who it was, you know, I don't rememberho it was.
Speaker 2: So we started every meeting that was a special teams there was only special teams meetings where they started at say.
Speaker 8: Nine in the morning.
Speaker 2: At eight in the morning, everybody was sitting there with ten minutes to spare, ten minutes till if you walked in there with nine minutes, Ralph, he was getting fine to the max.
Speaker 4: So if everybody was in there but one dude, it was due that comes in.
Speaker 2: Getting you find, no matter who it was, you know, And so we started to never be on time. You the late, and that was true to form. So one day we in there, everybody got in there early. Uh. This kid from Texas here and them linebacker, part of the wrecking crew. He was a great outside linebacker, no outside and so Jimmy would you know, make his little stops checking to make sure everybody's doing what it's supposed to be doing.
Speaker 8: Because he was good for looking at the meetings.
Speaker 2: And if you back there joking around, he'll he'll hit the door or something, look at you like, hey, pay attention to what the coach got to say. You know, he caught me like that several times. Well, this one guy was back there sleep and I can't think of his name. Chris probably heard the story before and and everybody went to shake him, you know, pup his boys from the texting and with Jimmy like leave him alone, just to leave him alone. But when he wake up, just tell him to come see me. When he woke up, they said, hey, man, coach wanted to see you. So after the meeting, went and saw coaching. We never saw him again.
Speaker 8: Man, I wasn't even think of the guy that he was a good linebacker.
Speaker 2: Man came from Chicago, so he was Texas A and m got a line back.
Speaker 4: So wait, he was a good a good player, good.
Speaker 8: Player, but on our team he was he was a backup player.
Speaker 3: But he but he he had talent, Yeah, he had talent, and they cut him to set an example.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't fall asleep in the met But then they asked him, say here we go, Well, what what if that would have been? If that would have been him and or somebody like that. Jimmy, what you were done? He was just probably got him.
Speaker 8: A pillow if Tree was sleeping.
Speaker 4: Meanwords.
Speaker 2: So that's how it was. But I cannot think of this guy's name. I mean, he was a good linebacker.
Speaker 3: Do you think teams around the league, because I've had several friends of mine that are cowboy fans that are like, you know, you need to cut people to make an example, and you need to do this and you needed tough enough?
Speaker 8: Does that cap?
Speaker 4: But it doesn't happen anywhere though, does it?
Speaker 8: Or does it not anymore?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: No, well New England, England gets you like that.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The player was John Roper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John Roper a nice linebacker. He was drafted by the Bears. Am I correct?
Speaker 4: Yes, the Bears in eighty nine your memory?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, he was a good player because, you know, because I'm always checking to make sure because I'm back to that clown and something. I got my I on front door because I don't want Jimmy get you know what s because he.
Speaker 8: Just call me out naked you quit, you know, all the time. And so I'm.
Speaker 2: Looking and then when I when he looked in, I'm looking at John, I'm like, don't test you, don't worry about it when you wake up to come see me all like wow, wow.
Speaker 4: So you think that still happened.
Speaker 3: I'm talking like backup, not practice squad guys, but like a decent backup, solid backup guy.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean you not everywhere, but you have to be able to have you have.
Speaker 6: To have the the.
Speaker 7: The cachet in the in the the ability to do so.
Speaker 8: Now every coach came.
Speaker 7: You gotta remember, like Bill Belichick, he bench Wes Welker in the first half of a playoff game because he made the comments about Rex Rex Ryan's wife's feet, And that was a rule of his. When you talk to the media, if you're not talking about yourself, about you, everything out of your mouth better be positive. So like anything else, if you talk about you teamates, it better be positive. Talking about another opponent, it better be positive. If you're not taking you, now one person you could down as yourself. If it's negative, it better be about you. Wes Welker did it, and he benched them. I was there when we were just to kind of say, like we were doing conditioning. I think the running back was Joseph Ade. I think it was Joseph Ade and he missed time on the field. Bill's like, go get dressed, you're done. He missed what he missed his times in a conditioning on the field we had we.
Speaker 6: Had to do running. Wow, go get dressed, get done.
Speaker 7: You're not committed to what we need your your commitment to what we need here is not good enough. And an example of them.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 7: Remember again, not everybody does it, but same thing in New England. They had to run it back one week, rush for two hundred and fifty yards like that, three touchdowns running back out of Notre Dame. Three touchdowns, two hundred and fifty something yards. He was late to a meeting the next day, didn't play.
Speaker 4: I remember that, didn't but I remember that.
Speaker 7: But that is like when Nate is saying it, I'm thinking to myself, we make fun of it. I remember listening to ed Reed. I think it was I'm not sure if it was like his life situation, not his life, but like you know how to do the feature stories on the networks, and ed Reed talked about the little things in championship teams and he said, I remember getting on my guys because we would have volunteer firefighters or service people come in to clean a locking room up and he's like, wait a second, you meet a dude who's fighting a fire. Got to come in here and pick up your tape ball after practice, And he got on his guys and it was like, if you can't walk three feet to the trash can and put it in there, we ain't gonna win on Sunday. And it's those small things that players a lot of times will hold guys accountable for. Also, if the players don't hold them accountable, there is an organ it is an organization. Oh what word am I looking for? Come on, you've been on point with the words this week. But but then yeah, but there, but there is a there, there is a hierarchy that was like, Okay, we're gonna enforce it as well. We're going to back the guys, especially our veteran guys who are doing the right things. We're going to back them with saying we got your back. And those teams you see, less likely make the dumb off the field decisions, less likely, make the best, less likely make the dumb on field decisions, those critical moments, those undisciplined moments, those penalties, those off side, those bad plays, those teams. That's it that starts internally.
Speaker 3: Is that because the organization has the leaders back and the leaders are in each other, everybody's got each other accountable. Yes, And if you're not holding each other account it's more of a sense of team right. Yes, Because that translates to Sunday.
Speaker 7: Look at the good teams, like look at the teams that that kind of and I don't I don't know this to be true, but a lot of people who are will use the Airbennemy situation. One of the things that they said about verb enemy was he was the enforcer under Andy Reid. They kept everybody in check, everybody in line responsibilities, YadA, YadA, YadA. Offensively, Well, I'm not saying that the reason why Cincinnati sorry excuse me, uh, Kansas City is not performing this year because that is not calling the plays.
Speaker 6: But it's those things like that.
Speaker 7: And that a dude, that's gonna keep you accountable, right, that's gonna hold you accountable to the little things, to the drops, the misassignments, the depth, the.
Speaker 6: Routes, all the blocking, all those things.
Speaker 7: If you don't have those things, we don't think of about it a lot of times. But look at our organization, look at look at our team this year. Right, I don't want to I'm using his name, but I'm not. I'm not picking on him. Sam Williams have made costly off the field laps of judgment decisions. Sam Williams has done on the field costly laps of judgment decisions. Right, you see the guys who consistently make those those things, those key and it costs games. It costs you games. You when you when you think about it, it's those the Cowboys outside of really outside of Buffalo and San Francisco, the games that they've lost, it's been disciplined stuff. It's been dudes, penalties, assignment eras free will doing. You know what I'm saying, Like it's that stuff. It ain't because folks just better than us. Like like, ain't no team whether we on the road or playing at home, there is no team in the National Football League. They just like yo, they just better than us, like they for man to man roster. They just got better dudes than we have. Now, some teams you'll have that you're like, yo, y'all just don't have talent. Y'all just avoid of talent. It's never that people are more talented than the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: It's never that. It's never as long as I've been around here.
Speaker 7: Now that may have been in some years and like you know, kind of like posts ninety five about two thousand ish, there might have been some talent issues in that situation, but it's for the most part, it's never been you just better than us. You just got more Jimmy's and Joe's than we have. It's been those little things that has consistently bit the Cowboys in the butt in the moments that they just can't you know what I'm saying, Like you trying to go out there and get a stop and hold the jokers Dumont Clark face mass fifteen yards.
Speaker 6: God, come on, it's those.
Speaker 7: States that that that you don't win by.
Speaker 4: All right, let's take our first break. When we come back, we'll talk a little bit of lions. What are we doing lines offense today? Cowboys defense? When we return for the second segment, up hanging with the.
Speaker 9: Boys, fall is here, and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamole made with real half avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kiro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores. Produce or deli section grab some today.
Speaker 10: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at a team hotel, attend the best tail game party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 11: Seat Geek has your back no matter what kind of Cowboys fan you are. So whether you're a die hard fan or a dog worthy care fan, we got them next time fan or we'll never win again fan Here for the tailgate fan or a first one through the gates fan. The seat geeg not only makes buying and selling tickets easier than ever before, they made just about everything else easier to So. Whether you're a here every week fan or haven't been here in years fan, See Geek has you covered. Download the Sea Geek After day Seed Geek, You're a ticket the great Dallas Cowboys Seats.
Speaker 6: How's wing stop sound?
Speaker 12: Crispy Juicy Classic wings made to order, cook to perfection and sauted, tossed, and those eleven soul satisfying flavors paired with handcut seasoned fries, housemade honey mustard, blue cheese or signature Wingstop Ranch, and of course spicy Cajun fried corse. I think you've heard enough. Get your flavor delivered at Wingstop dot Com.
Speaker 8: Back Hanging with the Bulls.
Speaker 4: I see your wheels turning. Welcome back to the second segment of Hanging with the Bulls. Carry the one, subtract the two.
Speaker 6: I'm like, if we do what stuff and repeat back.
Speaker 4: Here, we can do it here though, career.
Speaker 3: No second segment brought to each and every day by blockchain dot Com thinks.
Speaker 4: I don't want to feel your pockets get fatter.
Speaker 3: Alright, A little bit of a little bit of Lions offense. This isn't a offense when you when you, I guess they're sneaky good because Jared Goff is third in passing yards and touchdowns. And then they have a really I guess, would you call it a physical run game, physical o line. Nobody really jumps off the page, except you know. Saint Brown is good, really good Laporta is really good. But other than that, there's nobody that's a superstar. I guess on their team on the offensive side of.
Speaker 2: The ball, I guess, Uh, it's not in Dallas but in Detroit, but in the country.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: See, that's the problem we face here is uh, our guys are over the top superstars and everybody else is kind of until they run into.
Speaker 8: Us, and then we said, wow, I didn't know that. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Cooks with that good. Not James Cook is a superstar. You know, So these guys are for real?
Speaker 4: Who are the guys. Who are the guys to look at? Pick a guy offense?
Speaker 8: David Montgomery, Jamier Gibbs and.
Speaker 6: Brown, Amara, Sat Brown.
Speaker 8: And people.
Speaker 2: You know, people say, oh he's good. Now he's a little bit better than good. He's lighting folks up. He's he's he got what seven eight touchdowns? Seven or eight touchdowns? This kid ain't no joke, man. Where would you put him in the slot?
Speaker 8: Ain't he jest? Yeah?
Speaker 4: In the pecking order? Is he top fifteen?
Speaker 6: Top fifteen.
Speaker 8: Guy?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 8: His name the four or five guys yesterday and he's right there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, he's in that second level, second level no. You know what's funny, Like he's he's where CD?
Speaker 7: He was about a year and a half of yeah, yeah, right, Remember we're like, what year is he in?
Speaker 9: Third?
Speaker 6: Second or third?
Speaker 8: I'll look it up.
Speaker 2: This kid ain't no this kid ain't no joke man, This kid, this kid ain't no joke man.
Speaker 8: So so Nate twenty one four. He was a fourth round pick in twenty one so.
Speaker 3: Three third year, which does used to it took what running backs could come into the league and contribute and be really good or great their first year and usually took receivers two to three years.
Speaker 4: That's changed a little.
Speaker 3: Bit because you got receivers coming into the league now their first year they're lighting it up. Is it still if you're like, does it really take two or three years? Like CD has taken him three years to become elite? Right, I would put him in the elite category? Would does it still take about three years for a guy to really figure it out and know what on?
Speaker 7: Because from the receiver perspective, it's it's learning a couple of things. It's it's when you go into college a lot of times it's.
Speaker 6: You're just better. You're just better.
Speaker 7: Right the top receivers in college, cause you like, for example, you might see Georgia once, you might see Alabama once, right, you might see a Texas once. So the opportunity for you to go up against a top flight defender or defenders, you ain't seeing that weekend and week out right.
Speaker 6: I don't care what conference are you in. You just not, You just aren't.
Speaker 7: Then you jump to the league and it's the top flight defender. So now you have to work through Well, this corner is good at press, Well, this corner is really good with his feet. Well, this corner is now a ten year vet, and he didn't see in all the routes combinations that we you know what I'm saying. So it takes you a little while to understand one yourself, two route concepts because the language changes for where you were at in college from posters to right. You got to understand because they give you they give you the protection, the formation, the motion, then the play right, you got to process all that and then the complexity of the defense. We talk about it all time when we tell all these other teams and it's like, oh, what are you gonna do pre snap?
Speaker 6: Well, what happens post snap?
Speaker 7: And it takes some time to realize when the safety start to move and linebackers buzz out, and guys impressed at pre snap and then right before the pre snap they bail.
Speaker 6: Who where the robbers coming from? All these different things.
Speaker 7: So it takes about two years to three years to really understand your offense, understand who you are, understand defense, and then put it all together to go out there and produce.
Speaker 2: And that's if you're serious about being the guy. Yes, because a lot of receivers got so much talent and they never become the guy.
Speaker 7: And and also and if your coach stays long enough, your coach, your offensive coordinator stays long enough right to your to your development. Because times you can have guys, you know, you get drafted and now all of a sudden, your offensive coordinator he going to get a head coaching job somewhere else.
Speaker 6: You got a new guy come in.
Speaker 7: You gotta relearn the system, relearn what he wants you to do, how you fit in that system.
Speaker 6: That could take a might like you.
Speaker 2: Right, That's that's so scary, man, Because no, that's a great point because the officer quarter that you may have came in with, he had a specific use for you.
Speaker 7: When the new guy comes in, he can go, well, I don't like you in that bro, I like you in this role. You're like, damn, I spend all off season trying to get myself right for that role. I gotta change again. But looking at this team offensively, it starts up front, right.
Speaker 6: We say this every single week.
Speaker 7: They have one of the best offensive lines in the league, right, I mean, like one of the best. It's no secret they're gonna run the football. It's not a secret. They're gonna start with running the football with Jamiir Gibbs and David Montgomery. David Montgommery is gonna be the lead back, and then they're gonna sprinkle in Jamior Gibbs. It's kind of like, I don't want to call it thundering and lightning. It's kind of like they're they're they're both really good backs, but they're going to run the football. You're gonna see a ton of different sets. You're gonna see empty, you're gonna see eleven personnel, You're gonna see twenty one, you're gonna see twelve, You're gonna see ten personnel. Like they're gonna they're gonna mix their personnels up and I do want to give a shout out. Fun fact their offensive coordinator, Ben Johnson, was my teammate at the University of North Carolina. Really yeah, Ben Johnson thirty six years old.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, how old does it make you feel that offensive coordinators are I know, graduated with you? I know, yeah, just wait till draft picks start. Their parents are the same age as you.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 4: That's when I realized I was old.
Speaker 3: When we picked up Taco at the airport and his parents were the same age as me.
Speaker 8: Old.
Speaker 7: But Ben Johnson is it was a backup quarterback at the University of North Carolina. So one of the things that he understands and the way that he puts his offense together is run, blocking protections. They're gonna motion, they're gonna shift. We're gonna see a lot of that in this football game. It's coming, it's happening. It's gonna happen for the Detroit Lions.
Speaker 6: They're gonna run.
Speaker 7: They probably run when you have a good running game, and Nate's gonna know this because he comes from an era where they ran the football. When you have a good running game, your passing game is built on play action. They play action. They play action, they play action. What does that mean is play action is simply means you'll see the quarterback under center. He's gonna get the snap, he's gonna extend the football for all eyes to see, like he's handing it off to the running back and then he kind of took his back, will be turned to the defense, he'll tuck it away. Because now what I want you to see is I want you to see because in your mind it's already programmed. I'm telling it to you, you know, the coach down the hallway telling it to the players.
Speaker 6: They're gonna run the football. They're gonna run a football.
Speaker 7: All the defenders thinking on Nick Dallas Cowboys, we can't stop the run. We can't stop the run. So we gotta come downhill. We gotta come downhill. So when you see them put the ball out for play action and he snatches it back, what happens is now linebackers have stepped up, safeties have stepped up, dbs have pauls for a second, and everything else is happening towards them. So advantages are built in the play action this team, in the passing game.
Speaker 6: I like to call it.
Speaker 7: They're they're a layered passing team, meaning they're gonna they're gonna always give you something shallow. They're gonna give you something intermediate for the most part, and then they're gonna give you something behind that a little bit deeper.
Speaker 6: Sam Laporter, who is uh come from US? I guess like tight end you now at Iowa? He he is.
Speaker 7: He is a really really really good player. We talked about Amara Saint Brown, really good player. William was it Williamson or Williams the otherwise?
Speaker 6: Receive William Jamison Williams speed.
Speaker 7: Think speed when you think about Jamison Williams, think speed, think like Wattle speed, like that level of speed. He comes from that Alabama group. I believe where did he come from? Does on there where he came from?
Speaker 8: And I just said twenty two Yeah it does.
Speaker 7: Say I'm sorry, I think he comes from that Alabama group as well. But think speed when and he he's a little bit kind of now starting to get a little bit more involved in what they do offensively, but he is their speed element on that football team. Amara Saint Brown. He is when Nate was talking about earlier, a guy who is serious about football, who wants to be great. This is a guy where when he sat down in an interview and they asked him, they said, can you tell me a name every receiver that was taking ahead of you? He knows every single one of them.
Speaker 4: Oh, is that the guy?
Speaker 6: He knows every single one of them. He gonna sit there and tell you.
Speaker 7: Everything that every dude that was after ahead of him like so that like that, that's his mindset. His mindset is I have this chip on my shoulder that y'all thought these other dudes were better than I was. Ye, and he's always trying to prove it. He's a really excellent route runner. He is physical to the football, hands catcher like he is he is. He's not the tallest dude, but he is a strong out here. Came Alabama Wilson. Yeah, I'm aad Saint brown Is. He's good Like he's a good route runner. He's a good receiver, contested ball catcher. He is what you wanted a receiver like. He gives you everything but the vertical height. He gives you everything that you want.
Speaker 6: There.
Speaker 7: Jared Goff, we known him for a while and the Cowboys got the Jared Golf a year ago at home. They got after him. They got after him. I think they sacked him five times. He threw a couple of picks. They got after him. But I think that was a team that was kind of really trying to still figure themselves out a little bit. This is a team that's really they're confident in what they do. They've won the division for the first time in thirty years, so they're riding high on that. They're riding really really high on that. And the thing that the Cowboys have to be able to make sure that they do, which has been an issue for the Cowboys, it's the communication. Now you're at home, things should be working better for you at home. But defensively, you have to communicate Jared Golf he can make every throw. He can make every throw. If I'm calling my shot for interception from Jared Goff, if I'm calling my shot, I would call my shot and I.
Speaker 6: Would say this.
Speaker 7: It would be the ball would be in the middle or slightly on the left. Hash they would do play action. They would do play action. He would do a slight roll to the left and he's gonna throw the deep out route or some sort of comeback to the left sideline. Now all quarterbacks and quarterback coaches and all. I'll tell you if you want to determine it. Does a player have a strong arm? Is and you throw from the opposite hash mark, can you throw the out route to the opposite sideline? And I watched Jared Goff throw that pass over and over and he thrown the Amara Saint Brown right. But he's gonna throw that. He's gonna play action pass, a semi rollout. He's gonna get back to that right hash and he's gonna fire forty yards across the field to a ten yard out route.
Speaker 4: So he has the arm.
Speaker 7: He has the arm to get there. But that's a long throw. That's a long throw. So if I'm calling by shot for interception, it's gonna look on that. It's gonna look like that right there. But this team, it's the trenches. If you don't stop the run, it doesn't make a difference.
Speaker 4: Let's take a break and let's talk about the trenches. Because Detroit has.
Speaker 3: The best one of, if not the best, offensive linemen on their team, and PFF has them ranked really high.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about that.
Speaker 3: Since since Kurt's not here, I'll pick up the PFF banner and wave it. When we come back for the last segment of Hanging with the Boys, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: They snapped the fresh guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped, flapped.
Speaker 8: He'll run for a perch down.
Speaker 13: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 9: Press Scott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 13: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 4: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 13: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 12: How's wing Stop sound Crispy juicy, classic wings made to order, cook to perfection and sauceed, tossed and those eleven soul satisfying flavors paired with handcut seasoned fries, housemade honey mustard, blue cheese or signature Windstop branch head of course spicy Cajun fried cool. I think you've heard enough. Get your flavor delivered at Wingstop dot Com.
Speaker 11: See if jig has your No matter what kind of Cowboys fan you are, So, whether you're a diehard fan or a don'g with a care fan, we got them next time fan or we'll never win again fan. Here for the tailgate fan or a first one through the gates fan. The seat Geek not only makes buying and selling tickets easier than ever before, they made just about everything else easier to So whether you're a here of a week fan or haven't been here in years fan, seat Geek has you covered. Download the seat Geek. After the seat Geek, you're a ticket the great Dallas Cowboys Seats.
Speaker 5: James right here, you're twenty twenty two Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. Do you know how much I love my Cowboys and I am thrilled to be talking to you about the twenty twenty three Fan of the Year Award, presented by Captain Morgan. We're looking for the ultimate Cowboys fan to spice up the game. That means you eat, sleep, and breathe the Dallas Cowboys. If that's you, or if you know someone like me, then go to Dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year and you could win tickets to Super Bowl fifty eight and so much more.
Speaker 1: Enter today, back hanging with the Boys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the final segment of the show, brought to each and.
Speaker 3: Every day by Jigsaw, the official dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. And for the final segment, Welcome to the show from a storyline Nick even.
Speaker 4: Welcome back, Folcome by.
Speaker 8: All right in here, We're good man, We're just chill Thursday. This this is for real.
Speaker 2: Third, This is a this is a team that we're getting ready to play, that's saying in their mind and their coaches telling.
Speaker 8: I can sit Dan Campbell.
Speaker 2: Walking around pumped up, just eight hundred push ups, three hundred setups, saying.
Speaker 8: Fellows, we're going ahead. We're gonna destroy the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: You know why because if goes forty nine a slip, were gonna win the whole thing.
Speaker 8: That we're gonna win the whole thing, you know.
Speaker 7: I believe, I believe Dan Campbell. I'm telling you, telling him what Nate just said. I believe Dan Campbell is telling them a lot of what we said about going on the road and getting the quality win right like I think I think I think Dan Campbell is telling telling his team said, you know what, guys, they consistently talk about that team being one of the standards in this league, and how good that team is at home, and they win all these games at home, and they're this at home and their dad at home, and I do believe because Dan Campbell's been around here, like he understands the culture of what the Cowboys are.
Speaker 6: And then Dan Campbell said, hey, you know what, and they're.
Speaker 7: Having a party on Saturday for their coach. They're having a party on Saturday. All these guys are coming back. They're gonna they're gonna introduct, They're gonna intrue. Stucked there. Well, I couldn't get ot. I was like, wait, they're gonna introduce and they're gonna do.
Speaker 4: Both swap places this week.
Speaker 6: I know they had big words, and I just can't even speak. I got the Country Twain going on over here.
Speaker 4: But let's go rain on that parade.
Speaker 6: Too many tps, yeah, yeah, just right, too many too many light hit tungue tired whippets and tps tongue tired.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what got me, man, I'm watching David Montgomery right and I'm watching like twenty of his ten plus yard runs so I'm thinking that I want to see this dud bah because with the Chicago I mean, he banging up in there, you know, not realizing Chicago didn't have a good office line. So he was fighting for every yard and this Detroit has an exit off his mind. Then I saw him hit up in that whole and side step and go seventy five yard.
Speaker 4: They've rushed for seventeen hundred and eighty two yards this year.
Speaker 7: He has ran away and that's not even playing Jamil Gibbs earlier in the year.
Speaker 14: The only team that has two runners in the top twelve in the league. He ran away from doing for like two guys haveing eight hundred yards.
Speaker 4: It's a good thing that we can stop the run.
Speaker 14: No, no, I can't coming back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how does what do you do?
Speaker 13: You?
Speaker 7: You you bring You tell Mazy to lose more weight so you can put No.
Speaker 8: You you come to play line backer.
Speaker 2: You don't play around you you bring the seventh man in the box and you tell them they ain't gonna run. You bring the seventh man in the box from the first player.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you don't.
Speaker 2: You play situation of football. You at home, you you bring that seventh man. But we don't want to hear six and a half guys. You bring the seventh guy in the box and first and second down obvious run situations, and you tell them no, no, everybody, everybody grab grass and do what you have to do.
Speaker 8: You fellas, like I tall you.
Speaker 2: If you can do with all you need to do, it's some don't mind set on what you're not gonna give up?
Speaker 8: And and and if you and if Saint James get me, uh, the other kid.
Speaker 2: James Williams or Saint John or whatever his name whatever looks like, here's.
Speaker 7: Back in the jersey, whatever looks good on the two hundred.
Speaker 2: Hey that first row man, I'm sat Brown, Okay, Saint Brown whatever, whatever it is.
Speaker 8: You know what Mediterrane you can.
Speaker 2: You can sit up here and joke me, but I don't want to have to come save you on storyline when they face.
Speaker 14: Well, I mean, you know you talked about having a party. You're the one gonna be at the party.
Speaker 6: You are gonna be at the party.
Speaker 4: Actually tell us what your what your Saturday is gonna be?
Speaker 8: Like you, I'll get there early and do some things. But uh, what's that? What's that? Got an?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Scott Scott Well forty years. Yeah, yeah, really Jerry Paisy, But you know trickle down.
Speaker 4: You talk to her about eight times a day, and you.
Speaker 2: Just well, the bottom line is I'll be doing some early filming with him, and then we'll go up to the party and then with God, we'll try to sway you guys to come down to the field so I can do some one on one interviews with them stuff like that. Yeah, so I'm hoping we can get at least one or two guys.
Speaker 14: Who's the player that you haven't seen in the while that you think is going to be here that you like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know because I talked to Miss Embly and tried to find out who was coming, and uh, they said a lot of guys they didn't invite. I thought they would invite least all the Super Bowl guys are the first two Super Bowls.
Speaker 8: Or guys that went through that hard time. And you know, so I don't know. I really don't know. So I'm gonna have to grab whoever.
Speaker 7: Is there one guy that you see you like? Man, I owe you a smack of the face for thirty years. I ain't seen you in thirty years.
Speaker 8: And then i'mna smack in the face.
Speaker 6: Not that that you would like last time you saw them.
Speaker 4: Man, know, anybody you just want to hug that you ain't seen in a while.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm always trying to hug Big Kevin Gogan, Uh, step Nosky and.
Speaker 8: You know them them guys that we were real. There was, there was the boys, There was the.
Speaker 14: Be careful with step Now he's not that, he's.
Speaker 8: Not are now, but he's still he's still grizzling me.
Speaker 4: So so will you be out on the field for the ceremony?
Speaker 2: Yeah, whatever, Jimmy Adam will be not too far away.
Speaker 8: You remember me there used to be.
Speaker 2: Fat guy that you took all this money for all the whole season.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 14: It's cool is that you know what CD needs what two catches? Three catches to pass Michael.
Speaker 4: One hundred and eighty yards.
Speaker 14: I think, yeah, he's getting close on the hundred yards too, But catches, I mean.
Speaker 8: He's probably he probably can get the catches, but you know, we don't know.
Speaker 6: We just got a few in the first quarter and that's when.
Speaker 8: We gotta figure out what part of the game is gonna disappear. But what's I mean?
Speaker 14: I think it's neat is Michael will be there.
Speaker 8: Michael will be there.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm gonna try to get down there, because once I say Mike, hey, go to Mike, I ain't got to talk the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So if that, if that happens, if Mike's there right, which Mike I'm assuming will be there there and CD breaks the record?
Speaker 4: Do they interact on that day? Like after the.
Speaker 2: Game, he'll probably text because they got an eighty eight club and they all they all talk to each other.
Speaker 14: They think Michael will be there at the end of the game, I mean halftime and all that. But then Michael, you think you'll still be there.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if it's something happening, Mike, Mike would be there, Mike said.
Speaker 6: He said this publicly.
Speaker 7: He says, you know, why would I ever want my number to be retired? He said, because every time you get on a TV and it's Dez or a CD and.
Speaker 6: They go man.
Speaker 7: He he hadn't done anything since they're bringing Michael Michael and so like. So Mike's like, I never want them to stop talking because you can't talk about eighty eight in a cowboy uniform. And at some point in time, I don't not talk about me. So to answer that, will he be at the end of the game, Yeah, one like he's gonna Mike's not gonna miss that opportunity for the photo op for you know, handing over a ball to him or something like you know, the CD or something. There's something, there's something, there's something that's brewing, and Mike's not going to miss that opportunity to.
Speaker 8: Talk about the thing that I love about my group of guys.
Speaker 2: We all just by every one of my guys that and they who wants to they successful, they got radio, podcast, TV, we got it all.
Speaker 8: My group of guys got it all. And that I look at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and when I look around, Uh, that makes me so happy when you know, when I can look around and just see.
Speaker 8: Wow, there's my guy. There's my guy. There's my guy.
Speaker 2: Member Moose and Troy doing it with the Christmas deal.
Speaker 8: We had two of our guys that.
Speaker 2: I played with doing doing analysts work on the game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and then the other guy was tolling it. That's all cowboys. The start.
Speaker 2: I tell people, the star is and if you can and that's what I'd be wondering if I go over there and say anything to them players.
Speaker 8: Ever, I'm gonna say, y'all, y'all are missing it. It ain't about now.
Speaker 2: Win now, do everything you can to win now, because what is gonna come afterwards you would never ever imagine.
Speaker 4: And that would be everything. Everybody on the team, practice squad.
Speaker 8: It don't matter. Deal.
Speaker 2: Hella straight wherever he's at Phoenix, but he's doing radio right now. Coach Campbell, we brought here. He's in Jacksonville working for their team.
Speaker 14: Oh, I know in the press box last year, Yes, in the press box, Yes, Camps.
Speaker 2: What's the Fox scene, Jimmy, and then what's the brother McAfee is?
Speaker 8: Kurt Nfie? He was here, He was here doing them years.
Speaker 2: Think that that dude nobody likes who ran Shannon off the He was this is this is where he really got to start at Skill. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was like, you're talking about me.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, no, I'm just I look back and all of us and when we see each other, even when I see Skip, remember the day's night, Yeah, I remember the day Skip.
Speaker 8: We didn't like you in either. You know, I no why I ever got along with Skill.
Speaker 7: Because I knew you are the only one that gets along with everybody, but even the people that people do.
Speaker 2: Not like it, right, I get along with him because I know I'm not gonna ever give him nothing to stab me in the back with people would know that Skip is gonna stab you.
Speaker 8: If I know you're gonna stab me, man, I ain't even determined my back.
Speaker 4: I watch you do it. What year did you get here? You've written a few books.
Speaker 6: I got ninety nine problems.
Speaker 4: But yeah, watch your kids in the room. What's your favorite Jimmy story of all time that.
Speaker 3: You've written about or talked about or heard or.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 14: My first year here, that is, they played the Dolphins on Thanksgiving and he came back, you know with the Dolphins. So there's a lot of talk then about you know, the Jimmy Jerry stuff. And the Cowboys won that game on Thanksgiving. They picked off Marino like five times. And I mean it wasn't a lot of Jimmy you know story on that, but I just that's one thing I do remember is just you know, the Cowboys facing him, but I did get to go down. We did a documentary on Leon Lett.
Speaker 4: Have you interviewed him once or twice? I just once, just went down there to Florida.
Speaker 14: Florida, down at his restaurturant, and it was really cool. And we went down there and he talked a lot about uh, you know, Leon, but he also talked a lot about Jerry. And he even said afterwards, like off the camera, like I laid it on pretty thick, you know, like he yeah, oh he'll mind work. Well he's you know, and he said to us off the camera, he was like.
Speaker 4: And this was how many years ago?
Speaker 14: It's just like six twenty seventeen. He said, yeah, I want to be in the ring of on or you know, of course everybody wants the honors. But he goes, my kids really really wanted, really bad, and I want to give it to them. I want them to have that experience was even important for them, and so you know it's important he wants to He really wanted this. Uh, not not as bad as the Hall of Fame probably, but pretty bad. So I think this is, this is this will be a cool moment. I'm not sure why or what they, you know, decided to do. I m know why.
Speaker 8: I know why.
Speaker 14: I do know why.
Speaker 8: Tell me why? What's your thoughts and I'll give you mine.
Speaker 14: Well, do yours first.
Speaker 2: Okay, no problem, because Jimmy gave up a lot of his life to do what he's done. And when you give up this life, and and we when he first ever told us what he was giving up, we we we all thought it was a joke. But but hey, man, I'm not married anymore. The only thing I got here is this fotball team. Yeah, my mom and daddy come in town. I tell him I'll get with you out of the game. My mom and dadd had been here a couple of days. My kids just showed up in town. I told him I got.
Speaker 8: This here to do. This guy gave up so much.
Speaker 2: And then when he got out of football and he realized that those same people were sitting there looking at you, he started making amends. Yeah, and he started trying to change the way he thought he had to help one of his sons through a bad time. Mom and dad passes away, this and the other, he stopped making amends. So when you can make amends and then you can bring these people in maybe later on what you've accomplished and make them a.
Speaker 8: Part of it, that's why. That's why. So that's how that go.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Well, I mean I think that's why they want to be you know, they really wanted to and he wants it for them. I think Jerry just wants to do I think I think he wants to do what what's right. He probably didn't like being booed when he introduced the Marcus ware.
Speaker 8: He got booed.
Speaker 14: Yeah, And I don't know if that was because of Jimmy, you know, not putting Jimmy in I'm not sure, but you know, boot at their own stadium like that, that kind of set him back a little bit. I didn't think he just realizes thim is right to do it.
Speaker 8: You know the things that that that uh.
Speaker 2: That that that that Jimmy and mister Jones did. Man, And this is what made the break up so ugly is they was inseparable up until the Costs interview.
Speaker 8: They did everything together.
Speaker 2: But that winning that Super Bowl, now, all of a sudden, I you know, I always pop in there, you know, I mister Jones just wanted a piece of it. Jimmy wasn't giving up none of it. He wanted it all and so he got it all, and you know, you got out of here now. Coach had a saying written or unwritten five years is all you need in it in any place. And so that was that five year period. Maybe he was trying to make a move, maybe he wasn't, I don't know, but the way he did it was kind of messed up. And mister Jones helped escort him out of here by you know, giving him extra And now we got that dilemma. But now everything seems to be back on track, and more importantly, coach has that new life style with his family and friends. Jimmy used to be so one dimensional focus that if you wanted, if he couldn't see you, you know, when he focused on in the monocolies and I see Jesse, but out of my Parenthia, I couldn't catch you. You were gone because you just wanted his focus, and he had a focus.
Speaker 8: Fact.
Speaker 2: I tell the young guys, he couldn't do this today because the Sarah cap wouldn't allow it with the things that he did back in our day. Tell a guy, don't you stop running. I want if you want to make this team, I'm gonna hand you this ball. We're gonna block for you, but I don't care until you hear this whistle. You better not stop running. And I looked at the kid, and I grabbed and running back. I said, son, don't stop running.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: He ran, he drested, he ran, he twisted, he ran, he twisted.
Speaker 8: And then he stopped. I looked at him, like the son you gonna He looked at it.
Speaker 2: Then he saw trying back to run. Jimmy said, don't worry about it. He blew the whistle and we never saw the kid again.
Speaker 4: God, so many of those stories.
Speaker 8: I just looked at the kid. But nay, I said, you stopped running. Boy, he told you not to stop running.
Speaker 2: And people say, well, that ain't how you talk to a kid, or that ain't how you do it.
Speaker 8: Well, that's easy for you to say. But guess what. Jimmy got three super Bowl two super Bowl rings. I got three super Bowl range. Troy got three because we didn't stop.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, you kept running, We just stopped running.
Speaker 8: It's an ugly story. You could take it from whatever. You know what I'm saying. You can take it from a you know, oh that's too bad for the kid. You can take it from That's the way the times was.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 4: Stuff fellas tomorrow.
Speaker 6: All day O.
Speaker 2: Man, I just don't want I don't I want I want to stop David Montgomery, stop get from running.
Speaker 8: Good luck, Yeah, no, good luck.
Speaker 14: We got these dudes and he's the fun of the group. Seventy five seventy five. Man, Well if that hurt me when I saw that.
Speaker 4: Phone calls all day tomorrow.
Speaker 3: If you don't get enough phone calls on your show tomorrow, come back here and we'll take some more. All right, that same time, same place, Nick, thanks for joining us, Nate, thanks for the stories.
Speaker 4: Bring bring some more tomorrow. We need a couple more Jimmy stories to close out the week. Jesse, good seeing you as always. Love the beanie Baby.
Speaker 8: I'll beyond Filtering Hill soon. I'll be on filtered Chris.
Speaker 4: Thanks for keeping the kids quiet during the show. Jazz, thanks for helping Chris.
Speaker 8: Wait there, let's get a feel of you for you his son.
Speaker 4: Tell your son to get it on this. Get come on, j just do it is he is he ready, is.
Speaker 3: Ready, Chris, get Jacobs, Get Jacob, Get Jacob in there too.
Speaker 6: Here we go. Because we are the sports equivalent of braill people.
Speaker 3: Fee all right, we'll see you, all right, we are.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club