Speaker 1: This is He Said a Ya Dho with Eric Winter and Rosalind Fantaz.
Speaker 2: Hardo.
Speaker 3: We have another episode of He Said aade O. Unfortunately aad Oo is not going to be a part of this episode.
Speaker 4: She is getting herself checked.
Speaker 3: Out after the recent injury which we all know. But listen, we have an awesome guest today, Fabricio Wheelo. I hope I said that correctly. He has been in the business for a long long time, but currently on the hit show running point on Netflix, talking about in a roundabout well, I guess loosely based on the bus Family, which I'm obsessed with. Can't wait to talk to him about this and this whole process. Let's let's bring.
Speaker 4: Him in morning morning.
Speaker 3: My wife was supposed to be here, Rosalind, but she broke her arm, smacked her head in the side of a car.
Speaker 4: She's all messed up. She's she's recovering.
Speaker 3: This happen two weeks ago, but she's bandaged like all around her head had a massive lum that was too much to explain.
Speaker 4: But I'm sorry she's not.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm so sorry to hear. I hope she makes a quick recovery. That's that's like that's horrible.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you. But listen, man, let's talk about you.
Speaker 3: You are, you're on a phenomenal show right now, which is exciting. And you've been in this business for a long time though you've worked alongside, you know, some incredible people. One thing I just love right at the gate is you're from LA. I'm from La as well. We're a rare breed to be from Los Angeles in this business. Yes, tell me about your your whole origin story. Were you always into acting? I know your mom was in the industry, correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you got a right. I'm LA born and raised.
Speaker 1: My mom started out in uh like the community theater here and the local theater.
Speaker 2: In Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: So as a kid, I just grew up in green rooms and and uh just during rehearsals, I was in the theater doing homework. And you know, it's a it's a natural blend of like film students and independent filmmakers that kind of come into the theater and you know, vice versa. And they'd approach my mom and be like, can we borrow your son for this short film? She'd be like, I don't know, go ahead and ask him. And they would ask me and I was like, yeah, I'll go ahead and do it. And I really took well to set. And I was really young. I must have been like five six years old.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: And you know I was really well.
Speaker 1: Behaved on a set, and I knew I kind of understood what the director wanted if they asked something to me and followed direction well. And when I was about seven, my mom was like you really like to do this?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 1: I was like, I absolutely love it. He's like, well, why don't we get you like a commercial agent? And I started going out for commercials and then at like eleven, I want to say, my commercial agent was like, I'm going to take you on for film and TV at eleven, yes, Like I was obsessed with Spider Man.
Speaker 4: I was like in school at the time. Are you home school at that time?
Speaker 2: I was in school okay, yes, but I was at one point. I did get home school later later on.
Speaker 4: Where in La'd you grow up?
Speaker 1: So I grew up, I want to say, like everywhere. I claimed Los Angeles as a whole. I've lived in many different places that I all think of his home, Whittier, Pico Rivera, Alhambra, Culver City.
Speaker 3: So I grew up out that way. I grew up in La Plente, so I grew up in La Pente Heights. I mean Whittier was like a stomping ground because I played sports with all of them over there. So I know, yeah, I know that hill area. I always say LA as well. It's La County, a city, but it's still La.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I know, I know that the Whittier area, Pico Rivera area really well. And then when I made my way to hambro I got really tight with like the downtown area at East La Boyle Heights because I was right next to City Terrace. So I have friends all around and I grew up in many different places.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure you're you're you mean, your mom, your family is probably super super proud of you.
Speaker 4: I know they are in general.
Speaker 3: But here you are now, after working your way through this business, You're on a hit show on Netflix. Everybody wants to be on a great streamer like Netflix, and you know, doing a show that, to me is so exciting because it's loosely based on one of the most exciting historic families of Los Angeles, the Bus family. And I don't know if you grew up a Laker fan, but I definitely did. I've seen all these documentaries. I watched the one on you know, the show on HBO about that, you know, their version of the Lakers Dynasty. I've watched the documentaries. Now we have this sort of parody that Mindy Kaylene put together. Kate Hudson, great cast. What's that whole experience been like amazing?
Speaker 1: You know at first when people saw like our trailer, I think we got a little bit of like backlash of just people commenting like this is a total rip off of Genie Bus's story. Like, you know, the comment section is going crazy, and I don't think people realize that Genie Busses our executive producers.
Speaker 4: Yeah she's involved.
Speaker 1: Yet now she's you know, she's you know, they see her in the press with us and Genie right there. But yeah, Jeanie's Genie's kind of been this huge tool and granting the writer's room these amazing stories. And it's only the tip of the iceberg that we get to see in season one, right There's she has a lifetime of really cool story.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So exciting to get to know someone like Jeanie.
Speaker 1: I've gotten a chance to go to games when people always ask me, like, have you been to a game, It's like, yeah, Genie's Genie's hosted us in the best way and just to show overall, it's just that they they they're on set and they treat us like like a team. A lot of people say like, oh, we're a family on set. It's like, no, everyone's a team. We're all trying to make each other better. We have the best of time, like we're all friends, but everyone's there to put up their best.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Did you watch any have you seen Winning time did you get Did you watch any of those shows or the documentaries on the Lakers in general, not from her, you know, direct perspective, but about the bus family.
Speaker 4: Did you watch any of that going in?
Speaker 1: I watched a little bit of Winning before I even knew the audition was a thought in the universe, Like I watched it before I even know the show was on his way, And once I booked the show, I watched I think like almost every Netflix documentary, like what like the the Olympic basketball documentary. I watched like just just anything I could find on Netflix.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's fascinating.
Speaker 3: I mean, just even knowing where Genie how she started, you know, in the situation with the family, working with the organization work, you know, climbing her way up and really being the brain's the right one for this to be handed off to when her dad passed. I mean, she really was the rightful one. But you have a jealous, completely you know, wild rich family that they'd all want to see their younger sister take over. And it's not uncommon, and we hear these stories all the time. It's like, no, you're not, you can't be the one. You're you know, there's no way. But she rightfully is the one that knew everything about the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean Genie had all that to say with our show, you know, she had she had so many like you can imagine, on the business side of things, on the personal side of of what her life has been like, and also she felt really passionate about the comedic moments that just have happened with life and dealing with players in the organization. So I'm glad they were working on this project I think like close to five years. I'm so glad I was in that timeline at the right place, at the right time that I got the opportunity to, you know, to join them because it's been the best.
Speaker 3: Is your character completely fictionalized or was there any there's no truth into that, Like that's totally part of your this show, right.
Speaker 1: I think there's there's they pulled some truth from a little bit of places. But you know, I think the idea of having a young Latino brother, I don't think is uh.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's in the mix.
Speaker 3: But something that's been kept a secret. I wonder that they shared about this is all part of the creativity of the show.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: No, But but Jackie, I think was really they wanted to bring in, I think in the best way, the average La fan, the average Angelino, this kind of a boy who gets the world overnight, but also is dealing with uh, you know, loss and and and uh acceptance into this new family and accepting this new family and and uh, you know, trying to navigate his youth too.
Speaker 3: Definitely, let me ask you, she worked with one of my all time favorite actors, Brad Pitt.
Speaker 4: How old were you when you did World War Z? And what was that experience?
Speaker 2: Like, Ah, World War Z.
Speaker 1: I must have been like eleven or twelve, somewhere in that in that age range.
Speaker 2: Brad is just he's one of the coolest guys.
Speaker 1: I think, like, uh, I when I when I had gotten the film, I'd never like left my city, like I. I just I had never been on a plane. So that we got to shoot in London for three months, and you know, I took my mom with me. I got on a plane for the first time. But Brad was, like, I think, the first famous person I had ever met, right, I'd never met anybody on TV and just the coolest dude ever.
Speaker 4: That's a big one to start with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, super super kind and just the way you know, now I think about it and watching how he navigated kind of his life during that time, is super admirable, really respectful with everyone, but just just he was.
Speaker 2: So nice to me, so nice to everyone on set.
Speaker 3: Honestly, that's dope. I He's literally one of my favorites. And I have a funny bradbit story. When I first got with my manager, my current manager, even now this is just twenty plus years ago, is Brillstein Gray. At the time, the lady used to cut my hair was his very good friend for like years decades and her husband was like one of his heads of security.
Speaker 4: Blah blah. I knew a little bit about him.
Speaker 3: And I go to Brilstein to take my for my second meeting with like the managers to see if they're gonna represent me and what's gonna go on. I'm in my early twenties and I get in the elevator to go up, and all of a sudden, this hand comes in and holds the elevator and says, oh, oh, you know, let me let me jump in with you.
Speaker 4: And I turn.
Speaker 3: It's just me and Brad Pitt going up the elevator to go to the offices because he's represented there.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, oh my god, it's freaking Brad Pitt.
Speaker 3: And I don't get starstruck by almost anybody, like athletes I have an affinity for because I just I played sports my whole life. So I see an athlete, I'm like, oh shit, that's so and so right. But Brad Pitt, big fan, he walks in. I'm like, oh my god, I gotta say something. What am I gonna say? I don't have to say right, I'm gonna say hi, So I loosely, you know, tell him, oh, I know, Rebecca, she cuts my hair, And you just want to say hi, and he's like, oh my god, I love Beck She's amazing. Are you represented at Burlsteen? And I'm like, no, this is my you know, second meeting. He's like, Oh, it's gonna be great, man, You're gonna be on board. Best of luck when you go in there. Trust me, Cynthia, and like he was so cool, so nice, easy going, and I was like forever, that's one of my favorites.
Speaker 4: Like, Brad Pitt, You're the man.
Speaker 2: He's a special guy.
Speaker 4: He is at that level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's such a special guy.
Speaker 1: And to watch someone at that age, like when I was younger, just I'm not saying I want to be like Brad, but I definitely.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Just the way he respected everybody and just the way he handled himself on a set was a role model in my eyes for sure.
Speaker 4: And you need that.
Speaker 3: I mean it's a big you're seeing now you're working with another you know, film actors been around for a long time, Kate Hudson, A lot of great actors in general on that show. Working with all these people, you a when you're part of a big ensemble and someone is playing the Genie Buss in that project, you know you want them to be the leader in the role model of that cast, you know, setting an example, and I'm sure she does a great job of it. And then it makes it easier for everybody to find their sort of chemistry and feel safe. And I deal with with the show I'm on. Nathan Fillim was big star on TV for a long time. He set us, you know, very good example, and we all fell into place. Eight seasons now we feel very comfortable with each other and we have a blast, and it changes the dynamic where if you have somebody that's ahead of the ship and it's a nightmare, it makes your job so much more difficult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I get it.
Speaker 1: It's a It can be hard for a lot of number ones, and just even the life that you know, people maybe don't exactly sign up for, it can be really hard. But I mean, ultimately it's your responsibility to navigate, and it's part of your job to set that tone and be gracious. If not, maybe just step away, take your time till you feel a little better.
Speaker 3: I fully agree, man, I fully agree. There's nothing worse than going to work and not being happy being there because it's a nightmare.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: So your show is out now obviously everybody can stream it on Netflix. Anything else you have coming up you want to talk about.
Speaker 1: Oh, literally right now, we're It all came so fast. We got renewed six days after it dropped, so we're already getting into our first table reads. I'm gonna start shooting pretty soon, so my years looking like a running point. Other than that, like in the next couple of months, I just I do stand up as well, so I'm gonna try and squeeze and stand up shot on stage as much as possible.
Speaker 2: But I'm I'm so I'm genuinely so excited to get back.
Speaker 1: I love this job, I love everybody I work with, and it's it's super fun.
Speaker 3: Have you been Have you been doing stand up here in La Yeah, a comedy store and all that.
Speaker 1: I haven't done the Comedy Store yet. I've been doing a lot of laugh Factory Flappers. I just did Flappers and Burbank on Sunday. Saturday, I was out in Bell Wednesday, I was in Long Beach laugh Factory.
Speaker 2: So I'm fixing my sleep schedule.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Next time you're at one of those spots, you know, letter, I would love to find out because we were just that comedy store out too long ago, funny enough with like a date night with another couple and we had a we had a blast.
Speaker 4: So if you get a laugh factory, it's it's a great night out.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is.
Speaker 3: Sweet man. Well, thank you for being on. Appreciate you, you know, coming by and having this whole experience. It's a congrats on this six US shows. Awesome second season man in our business. That's all blessing.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Please send Rosalin my best and tell her I say, get well soon.
Speaker 4: I will for sure. Man, take care.
Speaker 2: Cheers you as well.
Speaker 3: That was awesome, great guy having you know, just awesome Secce. I love seeing good people having the success they deserve what they've been working for. You know, he's so young and he's already crushing it with some big projects and this is a huge show, so I can't wait to see his stand up. Fabrizio, keep crushing it. I wish you the very best and hopefully we'll have Roz back here for the.
Speaker 4: For the next episode.
Speaker 3: All right, everybody, take care, thanks for listening. Don't forget to write us a review and tell us what you think.
Speaker 5: If you want to follow us on Instagram, checks out at he said. Avison is an email Eric and Ross at iHeartRadio dot com. He said. Ajabo is part of iHeartRadio's Mike wild Up podcast network.
Speaker 4: See you next time. Bye,