Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 4: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 5: It is Tuesday, December thirty, first, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number ninety five.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the latest edition of The Break ninety five. We're moving along. We're gonna get to one hundred.
Speaker 5: And something here before fort before we get to the next fiscal year.
Speaker 2: But welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: We were presented by LGLG is the world's number one oh at TV brand for eleven years accounting see why at LG dot com Forward slash o ed evo. All right, Amber's out here today, but we got a lot to get into. Tommy Yarsh joining us. We're going to uh in the first segment. We've got a couple of different things we want to talk about, some different comments that were made yesterday and today. Mike Zimmer had it some time with the press yesterday. I thought he had some interesting things to say. Mike, I'm sorry, I Mike McCarthy. Jerry Jones had an interview this morning on one O five dot three the Fan with our guy Sean, Audrey RJ and Bobby, and he had some interesting things to say. We'll get into some of that in the second segment. Brian's got some I got some questions for us. You're gonna do his Zimmer segment. Yeah, I got a Zimmer question. Okay, hopefully we don't tread all over your Zimmer question. If we're too close to then be like, hey, let's back away from that.
Speaker 6: And well, you know what I say. I like to make these questions. You know, we usually all talk about what we're gonna do here, but I like to keep these questions where you don't know, so kind of get that surprise answer. So if you get real close to my Zimmer question.
Speaker 2: Just tap me.
Speaker 6: I'm gonn go, Derek, Hey, back away, look them all right, And.
Speaker 2: We got some questions too from you guys.
Speaker 5: You guys hit me up on Twitter, gave me some questions. We're gonna hit some of those in the third segment. If you if you're want to call us. You can call us eight eight eight eight five five two two ninety seven again eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. Let's save those calls for the third segment, and we'll try to get to a couple if we have.
Speaker 2: Them on the line. All right, Let's start first though, with Mike Zimmer yesterday.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm gonna give you a quote, all right, and then again if it gets too close, just just nudge me, all right. But I wanted to get your reactions to this the follow up because yeah, right, because it jumped out at me and it was very interesting to me, and I'd love to know what you guys thought of it and what you think he was getting at The quote was I wish that we that when I came in, I did everything the way I wanted it done. That was probably the struggles at the beginning. I was just doing things I was uncomfortable with, and so I had to do what I had to do. I said it to some of the coaches, you come in, you come in, and you come in here.
Speaker 2: Wow, I don't know what I may have missed it up. They are good.
Speaker 5: They were good last year, right, So I come in, I don't want to really rock the boat. I wasn't as tough as I typically am. I probably wasn't as hard headed about how I do things, is the best way to say it.
Speaker 2: That's what I regret the most. What are your thoughts on those comments?
Speaker 6: Tack that one, Tommy.
Speaker 7: I think the real key there is him saying, hey, this defense was really good last year. I didn't want to come in and be the guy that changes everything and then that takes away your product on the field.
Speaker 3: So from that perspective, I understand. I think there are ways, however, to where you.
Speaker 7: Could have come in and implemented your system, implemented your style, whatever you want to call it, and still find that success because the one thing that's not changing is the guys that you've got on the roster for the most part. Obviously there were some key departures last year, but you've still got Microp Parsons, So you're going to build this thing around anyways. And you know, when you think of Mike Zimmer and I know brod Us knows him really well. I mean, you Harden knows no nonsense. This guy's down to business and it's worked for him his entire career. So I can see why that's somewhat jarring. But at the same time, I understand the perspective of, hey, you know, if we're rolling, I don't want to change too much, right because it's something that has worked out well and the teams haven't success they're winning games because of it. But at the same time, you're hired to implement your style, You're hired to implement your way of doing things to benefit this organization. And so I think he's done that here in the back half, and I think that's because he's gotten more comfortable.
Speaker 6: I was very critical of Mike because I thought they taught it too slow, And now listening to Mike talk about it, and Mike and I haven't talked about this particular avenue. I wonder if Mike came in and read the room. I wonder if he came in and started meeting with his guys. You know, Michael Parsons wasn't here for the OTA stuff and things like that. He's like, Man, what am I dealing with here? The best players wrestling sumo dudes you know in Tokyo and doing stuff like that. You know what am I dealing with here?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 6: I'm okay, I've got some coaches here. I don't know from a previous staff. You know, how loyal are.
Speaker 2: They to me?
Speaker 6: Are they loyal to I think Mike might have read the room. I thought. I think Mike might have came in and not wanted to be what Tommy was talking about that because Mike is a hard ass. Mike is a get in your face guy.
Speaker 2: Well we thought we were getting when we first when they first made to hire.
Speaker 6: Right, we were sitting there watching practice. He's got his arm around Mozzie Smith like, hey, come on, man, you could do this. You can. Old Mike Zimmer's like, hey, if you don't do this, you're going to be standing with me. I ain't effing around today. We've all seen the NFL films where Mike has like got this crazed look and he's and he's going after the Cincinnati Bengal dudes and they're all looking straight ahead like he's serious. I've seen this from Mike. I didn't see that. I didn't see that coaching this year. I saw a guy that was, you know, Mike was trying to his training camp was going, he was he was implementing some things. Maybe Mike read the room that the buy in was going to be tough. He's like, man, can I come in and be this hard ass guy. And knowing that these guys are trying to get over of losing, it's gonna sound terrible losing their dad dan Quinn and they loved him, by the way, yeah Quinn, they loved dan Quinn. They just lost their dad. And so here comes here comes new dad, Stepdad, and all of a sudden now and.
Speaker 2: Start making rule.
Speaker 6: Stepdad ain't gonna tell me what to do. You know, we we were damn good defense with real dad was here, not Stepdad. And I think that's where I think Mike read the room, and I think it took it. Honestly, it took them getting their ass kicked the way they did the first five or six weeks of the season to realize that, like, listen, if I don't pull this thing up, we're all gone. We're all gone. You Osa Lewis all you got gone? Me too, gone. Because they did, they turned things around in a positive way where they weren't getting just crushed in games like they were the first five weeks of the season.
Speaker 5: So let me ask you this, If you take what this defense is and I'm not talking about what they were at the beginning of the season. I'm talking about what they were by the final five, last five weeks. And you compare that to the twenty twenty three version of the Dallas Cowboys defense. Are they better, worse or the same?
Speaker 6: I think they play the run better. And it sounds crazy when you gave up one hundred and but I think up until that point of the game. You know, this season, there have been some days where we've sat here and talked about the team, the opponent for that week, and like, they can run the ball well. Opponent had sixty yard rush. Yep, opponent had forty seven yard rushing. They run the ball really well. You know, Derek believed me, Tommy believe me. They run the ball really well. Opponent had ninety yards on you know, twenty eight carries, thirty carries whatever, you know, something like that. So yeah, I think I think the thing that they got better at was playing run defense. But what also happened is he got something out of Golston, he got something out of Osa, he got something out of damn Mozzi Smith, you know, and he took and he took, he took over shown and he made something out of over shown until he got hurt and then this maryor Sliefeule. I mean, they're the coaches are standing in the scouts are standing here during the draft, and they're telling us how much they love Mary Sleeful and were like, god, you didn't take a running back, you idiots. You know, they were telling us how good you know that Neelan was, and we're like, god, there's another running back that didn't get drafted.
Speaker 8: There.
Speaker 6: You know, they he he did something to coaches are responsible for, and that's putting your players in best position to make plays. Now, I'll say this real quickly. He messed up with that whole thing with Booth. You know, he didn't put Booth. He didn't help Booth in that game last week. He didn't help him. And that's not like Mike. But maybe he was to the point where I can't help him. I can't. I can't. I don't have the ability to help him like I need. I mean, I think that with what he had to work with the cornerback situation being a damn mess, you know, Micah coming back, I think he did the best he could. Gave him a chance, gave him a chance from all to maybe keep their jobs.
Speaker 7: So I think it's kind of a lot of things there when you look at this year compared to last year, because this year, like Brian talked about, the personnel you've got at corner has just been so up and down and you have no consistency there, whereas they had a little bit more of that last year, Deron Bland was playing at an all pro level and so that completely changes everything.
Speaker 3: Mike did kind.
Speaker 7: Of talk about the booth situation yesterday in terms of, you know, when we.
Speaker 3: Try to give him help, they run the ball.
Speaker 7: That's why, say Quon Barkley has one hundred and twenty seven yards in the second half, and so you know, but that's also a bypart of hey, there's we got nobody else in that room, like, like, what are you going to do out there? Because if you slide, Jordan lewis out there, okay, Well somebody's got to cover the tight end. Is that something you trust Israel mcqualmuud doing? Is it something you trust somebody else?
Speaker 6: I would have gambled me too.
Speaker 5: I don't think you could have got well, And I.
Speaker 6: Would like I would rather die a fast death in the slow death I was dying in that game.
Speaker 3: I absolutely agree.
Speaker 7: I'm not saying that that's not a bad solution because frankly, anything would have been a better solution than what it was at that point. So you know, from that perspective, I think you look at last year's defense say well, what's it's loads better? But Brian makes a good point that this year they've stopped the run pretty well. I mean, we look at that first half. Saquon Barkley was held to forty yards. That is not a hang the banner moment by any means, because he had one hundred and twenty seven and ran for two thousand yards on you in the second half. But nonetheless, when you think about where they were last year in the troubles that they had doing there, and I think, honestly he doesn't get enough credit. Is Eric Kendricks in the middle of this defense because he knows Mike Zimmer's scheme so well. He's always been great against the run throughout his entire career. Having that kind of having your mic guy and Marrislee if I was going to become that I think in the future, but having that guy who knows the scheme, who knows where to send guys has been really important, and then your defensive tackles stepping up to and developing and Mike Zimmer getting the most out of them. You know that Front seven really is has been impressive this year.
Speaker 5: Earlier this morning, Jerry Jones was on one on five Got three the Fan with Sean RJ and Bobby. What was his message there and kind of what did you take from that conversation, particularly what he had to say about Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a lot there. There was a lot, but there wasn't if that makes sense. We're getting to the point of the year.
Speaker 7: Obviously we're being asked about Mike McCarthy's future because everybody's contracts are up. Jones non committal in terms of which way they're deciding to go yet, but he was asked about how there's several reports over the last couple of days about, hey, if Mike McCarthy decides not to return to Dallas, or if Dallas doesn't retain Mike McCarthy, there's going to be a lot of NFL teams that are interested in him and wanting to bring him in and see what he can provide. So when he asked about that, he said, quote, well, I feel good about Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 3: The main thing is I like the job that he's done.
Speaker 7: It's unfortunate we've had the year that we've had, but I feel good about Mike. So that was my takeaway there in terms of that was about his in depth as he got about, you know, what the job Mike McCarthy has done. He talked about what he's learned through these times with Mike. This is only his fifth losing season as a head coach in his eighteen years coaching in the NFL, So that's incredibly impressive. And you know, you learn about a guy when you go through times like this and what they're really about. So Jerry talked a little bit about that.
Speaker 3: When asked if.
Speaker 7: He was in any sort of hurry to make a decision about the coaching staff and their future, he said, quote, I'm not under any.
Speaker 3: Unusual timeframe at all.
Speaker 7: So that tells you probably not in a rush to get this done. They're gonna sit back and really look at everything and evaluate where they go from here.
Speaker 6: God bless them, and then no, seriously, God bless them if they do that.
Speaker 7: And then in terms of where they go going forward, it is a lot about how Hey, when this team is healthy, we feel like we're going to we can put out.
Speaker 3: A good product regardless.
Speaker 7: And the quote for me was, when I look at where we are at our talent level, I feel real good that we've got the nucleus of a team that can compete. He sided things on Dak Prescott coming back, healthy, young offensive line having another year under their belts as reasons to why those things would happen, and getting some defensive guys back healthy as well. So yeah, a lot to unpact from Jerry this morning, but still nothing on miche McCarthy.
Speaker 2: I heard you say.
Speaker 5: I heard you make that noise, Brian when you sit then when you said that about it, they have the nucleus of the team.
Speaker 2: Do you disagree with that?
Speaker 6: Man? Did they look like a team that could go out and beat Detroit right now, or go out and beat Minnesota, or go beat Green Bay or go I know San Francisco's falling apart, but San Francisco the other night, you know, I mean, I just I think they've got I think they've got certain players. I don't think they have.
Speaker 5: Enough, but that I think that's what he said. Well, at least that's how that took the nucleus he has. They have that they have the high level players that they do you disagree with that or do you agree with that part?
Speaker 6: I think that they've got probably three or four players that can do that. I think they're going to need a lot more great players. Yeah, of the great player. Look at look at these teams that are NFC North has got two fourteen game winners, and so the first time in NFL history and somebody in that division is going to win fifteen games. Maybe well, if the fifteen game winner will win the division, the fourteen game will winner will be the fifth seed in that. Think about that. You're gotta play that division next year, by the way, Yeah, you know what, But you know what's interesting the Bears, Yeah, well I just kind of feel like though, I don't know if they've got the I don't know if they've got all the pieces. Yeah, and that's where it's going to be good about the draft and hopefully they can turn things around. I think the Commanders are going to be better next year too. I think that I think there's teams the Giants will see if the Giants might have worked themselves out of getting a quarterback, you know, the quarterback. Maybe they maybe they're going to, you know, depend on what happens. But I just kind of feel like that I watched these other teams play on a weekly basis, and I just don't feel like Dallas's could really compete now, maybe right now with the way that they surely can't with the way it's configured now. But man, they got they're gonna have to figure out some things. Yeah.
Speaker 5: My thing with with kind of when you talk about it from that standpoint is I think Dallas has some pieces.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. Yeah, I think right now, I.
Speaker 5: Look at this team relative to twenty twenty three version, and the twenty twenty three version was a good team.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they still.
Speaker 5: Didn't have an enough to get deep into the playoffs. And that's where I'm like, I think, there, I agree with you. I think they need a few more of those difference making players. And here's the part that's the kicker. They lost so much of their depth last year. They can't have another year of the blood letting they had last year where you lose.
Speaker 2: So many of the depth guys.
Speaker 5: But that's what I'm saying, like that, that's the point, that's where I think the issue really becomes it becomes where this thing becomes a problem.
Speaker 2: Is your depth was hit last year.
Speaker 5: If your depth gets hit again this year, that's not moving you forward now. I think on Jerry's from Jerry's point of view, he's probably looking at it and saying, well, yeah, we think that we've replenished some of that depth with the guys we drafted last year.
Speaker 2: They had this time to play, that will be better next year.
Speaker 3: Question.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's let's hope that's hope. Right.
Speaker 5: We don't know that, but but they can hope that, and then they got to have another great draft this year, right, and then you can maybe.
Speaker 2: Replenish all that.
Speaker 5: But that's that's the hard part about this is the depth has become an issue.
Speaker 2: For them this point.
Speaker 6: It's a high ask.
Speaker 3: I think it's a high Asshi.
Speaker 6: No, no, please cut me off any time you want.
Speaker 7: But when he says nucleus, right, and you think about the nucleus of teams anywhere, you're usually not getting more than four guys who make up your I think at least, and you gets feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But this nucleus from what Jerry's talked about, from what Stevens talked about, is Dak Prescott, Ceede Lamb and Michael Parsons. You've had all three of them together on the same field this year for what four or five games.
Speaker 5: And by the way, he threw in Trayvon Diggs as well. So if you want to throw him in there, so you can throw in out there, how much he's lost, how how how many games.
Speaker 3: He missed, you can throw Trayvon Diggs in there.
Speaker 7: So if that's your nucleus, that's great, that's I would say that's a pretty good nucleus because when Dak Prescott's playing well, he's shown that he can play at an MVP like level. Ceedy Lamb has shown that he's one of the best wide receivers in the league. Michael Parsons makes a difference for your entire defense. When Trayvon Diggs is healthy, he's a ballhawk. That's all well and good. The problem is there's twenty two players on a field and you're gonna more than that. Like you guys talked about with depth, does Dallas have the depth right now to when you get those guys back, compete with the best in the NFC. I don't think so. And That's why I think you need a good draft this year. There's got to be something done in free agency. That doesn't mean you need to go out and sign you know, fifteen high level guys who are hitting the market. But this team just right now, personnel wise, I don't think has everything they need to get to where Jerry Jones says they are.
Speaker 5: The hard part is you look at a team like let's say, for example, Detroit or maybe even Philly. You look at just you start going down their roster. Yeah, and when you start doing that, you say, man, that nucleus.
Speaker 2: Is a lot, bigger lot.
Speaker 5: But I mean they got star players at a lot of positions, and that's where it.
Speaker 2: Becomes a little difficult when you try to match that up. And I think that's I think that's the caliber roster Dallas had in twenty two and twenty three. I don't think they're they're there right now.
Speaker 3: I think they're not.
Speaker 6: I think you're Seattle. I think you're Atlanta. I think you're Tampa. Yeah, that's who you seem are pretty good. Yeah, that's who you are. But you're not Detroit, you're not Minnesota, you're not Green Bay. You know. I don't know what the Rams are.
Speaker 9: I mean, the Ram probablygory. The Rams are probably the echelon of rams. Seattle, Atlanta, Dallas. You know, forty nine ers, they the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: I think I think they have missed their wind.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the forty nine ers should have been that tool. Forty nine ers should have been in that mix with Philadelphia, Detroit, Minnesota, Green Bay. There's teams. I think you're good enough to beat Tampa, but you're not good enough to beat Minnesota. You might, I mean, it took it, took, it took it. It was a great game to beat the Commanders. It took it, took a defensive effort, it took special teams, it took some fluky touchdowns, but you won that game. You're good enough to beat the Commanders. I think Dallas proved a lot with the roster they had that how their depth, and but they're they're they're not good enough to compete right now. Philadelphia they I will say this though, going back about Barkley his three worst rushing games, Cleveland, Dallas, Pittsburgh. They held him that first time around. Yeah three, I mean, so Dallas, Dallas did a nice job against him. The first time they played. The second time, it was they just didn't have enough.
Speaker 5: I will say this, I would love to see Mike Zimmer's iteration of this defense in the second half of the season. Combined with a healthy Dak Prescott and an offensive line that plays better than they.
Speaker 10: Were, those things, to me, could make this team, get this team back into that playoff ten win type area.
Speaker 5: I still don't know if they have enough though, to beat the Detroits and and the Phillies consistently. Yeah, and those teams that are just at the top of the league, Like, that's the part where they're gonna have to do a lot and a lot of guys are going to have to develop in order for them to get to that level.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, all right, we're gonna take our first break. We're gonna come back.
Speaker 5: We're going to dive into the Bryant brain of Brian brought us will be BA Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 13: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 2: Don't put off.
Speaker 14: Getting your oil change Dallas take five oil change. A proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take fives. Stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area, and remember at take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 15: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 16: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star and Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com.
Speaker 15: Lucasey the official boot.
Speaker 16: Of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 17: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed YETI Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetie dot com. Check it out today. Yeti Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back to the Break Welcome Back.
Speaker 5: It is the second segment of The Break live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. This segment's brought to you by blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 6: All right, Ryan, we do I like the way you play on the fly kind of hockey like there.
Speaker 2: You gotta do what you gotta do, all right, Tommy.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, I was teasing all these Mike Zimmer questions. I got one for you. Then let's go. Tommy. Do you worry that, even given the opportunity to return, Mike Zimmer.
Speaker 7: Won't I think it's it's reasonable to think that. I think there might be reasons for that, you know, whether it be from how this year has gone, or how he may feel about personnel going forward to you know, the personal things that have happened in his life that caused him to sit out a year of football.
Speaker 3: Considered with you know what he's.
Speaker 7: Already done, how long he's been in the league, and what he wants in his future, yeah, I would say that that's something to at least consider. But if at the sound the same note, if Dallas wants him to come back, or if he wants to come back to Dallas, and you know there's mutual feeling there, sure you bring him back. I think I feel like what he's done in this back half of the season with such limited personnel has has been great all the time. I mean Sunday showed you that it hasn't been the lead, sure, but it's been good enough to where I think you want him back, Derek.
Speaker 5: Yes, I worry about it, And the only reason I worry about it is because I want him back. And that tells you the love of respect I have for him as a defensive coordinator. What he's done this year, I think, in getting this defense on track after the poor start, says to me that if you give him time, he'll make it work, and that means he'll have even more time if he goes into next year, he'll have a better contingent of players, because hopefully he'll have everyone healthy or at least have a few more options. Definitely at cornerback, they should hopefully get some more guys that they can roll out there if they need to. You know, I just think that everything thing right now is pointing up with a lot of these guys and with this defense overall, I don't want to short circuit that, and that's why I'm worried.
Speaker 2: I want him to be back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'd like I have not talked to Mike about this at all, so I'll be very upfront about that. I will say this though, that I do worry about him coming back. I do big Mike has got a lot of other interests. He's you know, he's a horse breeder. He's got a horse that's legitimly can run in the Kentucky Derby here soon. It's gonna take money to do that, So Mike probably wants to keep his shop as long as he can.
Speaker 2: But but I think for Costa Rica, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think that Mike. I think that Mike is uh. I think Mike did the Jones is a favor here. I think he did Mike McCarthy favorite coming here. And you know, you know, and he's you know, he's helped some guys you know along the way. You look, what, maybe Al Harris got a little bit more experience working with Nick could not what could be better for dan Quinn? I mean, it's gonna be for Al Harris worked for with dan Quinn, work with Mike Zimmer learn a little bit, uh that way. I just but I would be concerned. I don't think this is necessarily This is my opinion. I don't think it's a slam dunk, you know. I think the Cowboys would you know, he's he did it as a favor and he showed up well, yeah early in the season. I can understand why they had some of the issues they have. We kind of went through that earlier. But I kind of feel like though that we need to keep an eye on that one. It's really really deeded too.
Speaker 5: How would you feel as an offshoot? How would you feel if if Mike decided he was going to walk away?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: And uh, and then Al Harris is the guy that they tap.
Speaker 6: You know what? But yeah, I feel good about Al because I think Al how's the respect to the players, and I think he knows what he's doing. Yeah, I think he knows what he's doing it and I would hope that the others that were here still in the staff would stay and because I think they have a pretty good group of coaches, you know, considering it was kind of a mesh of two staffs. But you and you could go out. There might be some other guys you want to you know, you want to go. I will say this though, there are some quality coordinators potentially aren't going to be on the market to Corneas. If you look at what happens Robert Sala, you know, do you do?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 6: You make a point to go get Robert Sala and then let Al Harrison this group learn with Robert. Robert Salarr will probably want to bring some of these guys. But it's like Mike Zimmer wanted to.
Speaker 2: What he did out in San Francisco's pretty yeah.
Speaker 6: And then and then you know, Matt Eberflus is another one that you know the Bears. The Bears were playing play good defense. They were just trying to get their offense. They didn't have any offensive linemen and they couldn't. They lost a lot of tough games this year. But Matt Everfluce would be another one. They're going to be some quality defensive coordinators on the street that maybe you could you could say, you know, if Mike McCarthy gets an extension, maybe it is about Al Harris, you know, maybe that's like, Okay, I gotta got a couple of years now, and I can afford to deal with Al. But I think I would also want to talk to Robert Saling guys like that. If Okay, Derek, I'll go with you on this one, right. Can Tyler Smith be your next Zach Martin?
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't see any reason why not.
Speaker 5: I will say this, I don't think, if my memory is correct, I don't think at this point in his career he is as good as Zach was at this point in his career. I think when Zach came in, he immediately was great, like really great.
Speaker 6: Right off the bat.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Now, let's also put that in context. He was playing on an offensive line with some pretty great players, right.
Speaker 2: That helps.
Speaker 5: And I think right now Tyler is the best of this bunch, and I think there's a sizable gap between him and the next closest person, So I think that does kind of affect him as well. But No, I don't see any reason why he can't be an All Pro caliber every year every year, heading in the trajectory of Hall of Fame type player. But you know, he's got to do it obviously, But I think he has everything there in front of him.
Speaker 6: Tell me what about that? Do you think that that Tyler Smith could be your Zach Martin one day?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 7: And Derek took all the words that I was going to use he is out of my mouth. I mean, he's been your best offensive lineman this year. I think that his versatility is really valuable. If he's a guy that if you absolutely need him to play at tackle, he can play at tackle for you, and he can do it at a high level. And when you know, like you mentioned, he's been the best offensive lineman for Dallas this year, and I think he's made Cooper b b better. Yeah, because that's a guy who's, you know, for a majority of his time in college played in Tyler Smith's spot right guard, so he's you know, got to learn how to how to work the line, and he's done that pretty well this year. I think your left tackle still, you know, needs some time to develop, but again, having a left guard next to you like Tyler Smith is going to help with that as well.
Speaker 6: I agree with you. I think I think he's I think he's got the capability I mean, and I think he's got potentially the longevity, you know, And I think he's got the temperament. I think he's got the toughness. I think he's got the.
Speaker 2: Power, leadership, leadership offensive when you when.
Speaker 6: You talk to him after a game, it's well spoken.
Speaker 5: He's he's just good at giving the right information to media at the right time and portraying something for that offensive line of yeah him continue to fight like I.
Speaker 6: Think that's not really good. He does not sugarcoat anything. But he also is very, very thoughtful about the way he speaks. I appreciate that. Tommy, coming back to you on this one, what's your feeling on Jake Ferguson going into twenty twenty five.
Speaker 7: I think that you know, you certainly wanted to see more. There are some things that raise your eyebrow a little bit, but you also have seen what Jake Ferguson is at his best and what he can do for you when he's playing his best ball.
Speaker 3: So I don't think it's something that I'm going into the offseason.
Speaker 7: Thinking like, Okay, do you need to think about maybe taking another tight end or do you need to think about moving on. I don't think we're anywhere near that territory yet, but certainly something that you want to watch going forward. And my question with that too is is that a byproduct of you've got your backup quarterback playing the majority of the back half of the season. So the good news though, on the other side of that is we've seen a lot of good things from Luke scoten Maker this year. He's definitely taken a step forward. There were points this year whe were like and where does he fit in? Brevin spam Ford has showed you some good things when he's on the field.
Speaker 3: As well, so that is a good room.
Speaker 7: Linda Wells is a fantastic coach, so I'm not too worried about that room. And I think Dak Prescott coming back into the fold is going to make Jake Ferguson really the entire offense better.
Speaker 6: Boss Man, what are you thinking about Jake Ferguson going into twenty twenty Shives.
Speaker 5: I still love Jake Ferguson. I don't think this year was his best and that's okay. But one thing I will say is I think they got to figure out how to get him up feel more. Yeah, particularly up the seams. And I think that's something that I.
Speaker 6: Think Miss Jack.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think, yeah, we do know that Dak Love he will use those and he'll take that shot and put it right where it needs to go because it's a scary throw to make very scary.
Speaker 2: But Dak's not afraid of that throw. But I do think that they.
Speaker 5: Need to get him a little bit more involved downfield, particularly up the seams. I think that's where Jake Ferguson goes from being just an average run of the middle tight end to being a tight end that really is, you know, a weapon.
Speaker 2: And I don't think we've seen a lot of that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I get it. I get to tap the breaks on the Kelsey's and the you know and the kittles and that I think.
Speaker 2: But that's a part of like he I don't know if he got Daniel's opportunities.
Speaker 6: Well, I tell you what I was like, Man, Jake Ferguson, he's gonna he's gonna be on the rise. You know, you're talking about the top five tight ends in the league. And yeah, he had injury with the concussions. He's one of the toughest guys and one of the best run after catch guys. But I think I'm not going to go into twenty twenty five with this massive amounts of expectations on it or put too much on him.
Speaker 2: Can I throw this edge?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: If they do what you want them to do and they go and get a bona fide second receiver that really is a one A, one B type receiver, do you think that makes Jake even better? I'd hope so, because I think part of this could also be there really aren't a lot of wide receivers that you have to pay attention to other than CD on this team, which allows teams to do some different things with Jake to try to take him out of the game.
Speaker 2: It's what you showed on that film yesterday. You got three guys around Jack Fergus.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you've got more wide receiver threats out there, that doesn't happen.
Speaker 6: Doesn't happen. No, not at all. And they and they they're going to double and they doubled him on the pick six. Yep, you know they said, no, you don't have a receiver that could pick Okay. My final question here for you guys is that let's see which one I want to get, because I got several of these. Okay, how about this, Derek, The evaluation of Jonathan Mingo is unfair because he's not playing with Dak Prescott.
Speaker 2: Fair.
Speaker 5: That is a great that's a I think a good analysis because I think if you look at the number of passes that he's gotten and where those passes have been, I would venture to say eighty percent of them or more have not been on target. They've been low, they've been too far outside, they've been too high.
Speaker 6: Not accurate, not accurate.
Speaker 5: He's just he's not getting good balls, and so for whatever reason, he's not getting good balls that play where he was opened downfield last week, although I, although I questioned the call on Think one to go down feel like that he beat his guy.
Speaker 2: He won the ball just wasn't put in the right place. But he beat his guy and he was opened town.
Speaker 5: I feel if that ball was on target, it may have been a touchdown. And so that's where I look at it, and I say I've seen enough from him, certainly as a really good blocker, but I've seen enough from him where I'm like, I want to go into next year and really get a good evaluation from him, because I think he might end up being your third wide receiver.
Speaker 2: Wins all said and done once you have Dack back.
Speaker 6: How about you, Tommy oh Man.
Speaker 7: I've talked about this about a million times since Jonathan Mingo got here, and in the press box in Philadelphia again this week, I'm like, man, when can this guy get a good ball?
Speaker 6: Right? The last time we talked about.
Speaker 7: He finally did, but he got that like twelve yard reception and I think I tweeted out I was like, that's the first past good pass that Jonathan Mingo's got a career. And then the next one he got was that on where the tales had a bounce. I'm just like, Okay, this poor guy.
Speaker 3: Let's get some help here.
Speaker 7: But no, it's not the first time also that he's won of one of those routes for sure. I think back to I think it was the first Philly game here in Dallas where he be it's his man down the sideline and Coop of Rush throws on the ball and it hits off of the defender's helmet and he's got them beat by you know a yard or two, it's like, okay, so, uh No, I don't think it's fair at all. And I think, I really think that Jonathan Mingo can give you something as a receiver, even if that is a primary role of being a lead run blocker. I think that's incredibly valuable. I mean, watching Monday Night Football last night, for example, you look at what Ben Johnson does with his wide receivers on the outside, blocking and making room for their running backs. Man, you can do the same thing with the Cowboys. With how good Rico Dawdle is shown you can be after the catch, and how good Cavante Turpin is after the catch. They're trying to get him the ball on the outside. A little bit more so, having a big body like that who can block off a corner and create running lanes, especially when it's the fastest guy in the NFL. If it's Turpin, it's valuable that.
Speaker 2: That's just to me.
Speaker 5: Then when you mentioned you know the Lions, it's to me, it's a case study in a coach creating a tough minded team, right, Like everything they do is tough minded, and we all we all laughed and joke when he's talking about bite, kneecaps and all that, like it was a joke, but the reality is and right, and the reality is he literally went in there and he was true about it. It wasn't like it was some fake you know whatever. He was true about it. And his team is like you watch them play, they are physical, they are tough, they are they fight like you can see the style of football they play being a direct reflection of what he said he was going to build there.
Speaker 2: And I think that's that to me, that's.
Speaker 5: A case study for any coach in football, Like you can build a tough program, you can build a tough team, you just gotta build it, and you got to build it with the right mindset and whatever he did to get to that point, they really need to be studying that because there's a lot of teams in NFL that could.
Speaker 2: Use that level of toughness. I agree, we're gonna take our final break.
Speaker 5: We will come back, and we got a couple questions here we'll hit right before we end the show for the final time. Here in the twenty twenty four calendar year, will be Backdallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 18: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lgole led Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike. Every play, every hit, I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 2: No one comes close.
Speaker 18: Lgoled Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leedevo.
Speaker 8: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipments, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Bagganturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 15: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone. The wins will be even taste here.
Speaker 2: It's a pepper thing, and we're going to overtime. Erica how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 19: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance, message data RAS and additional terms. Thank America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per how but the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: Back to the Break, Welcome back. We are in the final segment of The Break.
Speaker 5: We are alive from this WBC Mortgage studios at the Star. Let's take a couple questions here before we end the show. Here's the big question, and I've gotten this question for the last month, and so I think now it's time for Brian to answer it for the folks out there.
Speaker 2: Thank you, bastard. Ask what when does the Josh Shill start next week?
Speaker 6: Is it some week next week THANXS week? Yeah, Dereka is nice enough to once ag again, what are yours?
Speaker 19: Is?
Speaker 6: First? Like twelve thirteen.
Speaker 3: Something's got to be more than that, huh.
Speaker 6: I don't know, man, but it's been fun and I'm looking forward.
Speaker 5: It's been a while. It's been a while, but we start back up next week. I think next Tuesday. We actually are going to be starting our full offseason schedule starting on next Monday. Every show that we do, all the podcasts we do, will go once a week, as we normally do during the off season, except for Draft Show. Draft Show will be twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday, eleven am Central.
Speaker 6: Right, looking forward to it next Tuesday. Yeah, we we're going to hit the ground running. One thing. Everybody on the show when things started kind of going south, usually you wait around till like I always waited till December. First, I actually started on November ninth. I just I just said, you know what, I'm gonna start looking at players. So we will hit the ground running, and before you know it, Dallas Cowboys dot Com be covering the Senior Bowl, the Combine very soon. We got the East West game out here in our backyard, got the Shrine game in our backyard. So draft season will be fully honest and no place better than this platform to find all the information.
Speaker 2: All right, great, all right, let's get to the next quest.
Speaker 5: The next question was Joshua Harkins ask, what or who are you guys really hoping to see in next week's game? Talking about this week's game at this point as we start looking ahead to the offseason.
Speaker 6: Everybody getting up after every play. Yeah, that's the most important thing. That's the most important thing to me right now. I know you you know there's people talking about wins and losses. You always want to try and win. If they win, great, if they lose, you know whatever. We'll get to the draft show next Tuesday, that kind of thing. We'll do autopsy on Monday, draft show on Tuesday. But I just want everybody to get up. You don't need a major injury the last time, the last game out. You just don't. Because these guys, it's the timetable, the availability for next year, especially, you know, like a key player. But you know, these guys are going to play hard. You know, are they good enough to beat the Commanders? They were a few weeks ago, but this this is a little bit different. The Commanders are kind of on a roll right now. Commanders might be a team of destiny the way that they've been winning games. You know, that might be this playoff team that you don't want to have to face. So be very cautious with their players. You need to finish out strong if you can. But just please let everybody get up after every play. Yeah, that's the most important thing to me. YEA, yeah, that would be number one for me too. I'd just for the sake of having a different answer. I think you see what Trey Lance can give you this game.
Speaker 7: I think that Cooper Rush has proven to you that he can be a backup quarterback that wins games if he's called upon. He's done that in twenty twenty two. He's done it this year. He hasn't beat the Eagles, that's his kryptonite, but he can still come in and he can win games for you if you need him. You traded a fourth round pick for Trey Lance, and correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but I still don't know what the Cowboys have in train Lance yet. So in this game, especially if you've got the Commanders who are along the thought line of hey, let's just go ahead and get ready for a round one of the playoffs. Let's just you know, maybe give Jayden and Daniels a quarter or a half just to keep him warm, and say, everybody else, I think Cooper Rush has shown you enough to show that he can be a backup quarterback.
Speaker 3: But what do you have in Trey Lance?
Speaker 7: Is this something that you can continue to develop and continue to work on for the future.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was really and I was gonna say, I think that's a fair set thing to say. We don't know what they have in Tree Lance.
Speaker 2: They know what they have in trade.
Speaker 5: And here's the other part that I've been I heard somebody say this. I want to say it was on one O five, Dout three the Fan. It might even been on your your show, Brian g Back. I heard someone say, is it a possibility that maybe they know that Trey Lance is maybe better than what everybody else thinks he is, and maybe they want him back and putting him out there is kind of like what you do in the preseason.
Speaker 2: I said that, Did you say, Okay, yeah, maybe that's it.
Speaker 5: Like you put him out there and now you've got bidders this offseason when he's a free agent, whereas you don't put him out there, maybe you have an opportunity to sign him back at a modern price as a backup quarterback.
Speaker 6: I said that. I said, I was interesting. You said monorit price, and you're right, I used to work cheaper price. You know, maybe that if all sin Trey Lance plays and has success, people might look at him a different light. Like listen, Mike, he was the first round picking. Maybe people say, well, Colley, you know, the only tape they have of Trey Lance is from preseason. That's the only tape they've got on him. Dallas has practiced him every day for two weeks or for two years. Now, Dallas might think, you know, I just think that they're kind of positioned themselves, like we need a backup quarterback. We think enough for Trey Lance. We're probably going to move on from Cooper Rush, but we need our backup quarterback not to cost us five million dollars like he's cost us right now. We need to cost one million dollars and maybe they can fill Now. I've said that before and people have come at me on Twitter X and said, hey, uh well, why if they're not going to play for that reason, he shouldn't come back. Might not have a choice. Yeah, you know, people might be, like you said, might not want to Cowboys. Kind of maybe I think the Cowboys are not playing him for the chance to get him back cheaper as a backup next year. I really do believe that something about all.
Speaker 2: Right, we appreciate you guys joining us. Man, We've had a great year with you guys.
Speaker 5: Even though the product on the field may not have been when we all on it, we've still be a great year. We've had a good time, and so we appreciate you guys joining us. It's always great when we get a chance to sit down and talk for you guys, and then you guys interact with us on social we're able to hear from you and hear what you think of the show and get feedback on things that we can improve on. And trust me, we take those things to heart and we really do try to improve on them every single day.
Speaker 2: So thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: We'll be heading into the off season this next week and we'll continue doing what we're doing this offseason. A lot of things that will change for the Cowboys this year this off season, so we'll be covering all of.
Speaker 2: That and give you our thoughts on all of that, but until Thursday. We won't be on tomorrow. We'll be on on Thursday until Thursday for Tom Yarsh.
Speaker 5: Brian brought us. I'm Derek Heilton. This has been a break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys football clubs
Speaker 6: As