Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles.
Speaker 2: Hold ahead.
Speaker 1: He got jacked.
Speaker 3: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Mary's gonna score touchdown Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker Like a torpedo.
Speaker 2: He came flying into the backfield.
Speaker 3: The Rage is brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway in bal Vista, Seek your ticket to Great Seats, and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot Com, Slash podcast, a.
Speaker 2: Red Seas Rising Up, jimb you, Rising Vision, Flurry Rage, take it over.
Speaker 3: Here's Paul Calvic.
Speaker 5: I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you I'm ready.
Speaker 3: And Ron Woolpley, it doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 6: Leash.
Speaker 5: Oh there you go, Red See that's your que No fall starts tonight. Come on, we gotta come off the ball. Remember the Big Red Rage resented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are Thursday Night Football, fifty two weeks a year. Are we not, Ron Wolflake, Yes, we are Paully and just for good measure. We've busted out the football weather tonight. Wolf, you've still got enough buffalo DNA and you to hang here tonight. You're good.
Speaker 1: You're good.
Speaker 5: You need your own heat or anything. Y'all right over the.
Speaker 7: Fact that was gonna show up in a just a T shirt ball for the most part, I mean honestly.
Speaker 5: Well, you're no longer sideline strong, like a sideline reporter. So okay, you're up in the climate control booth. All right. Look, it's our season, Banale here at Trophy and Chandler on Queen Creek between Price and Dobson. So we got in with a heavy hitter, do we not.
Speaker 7: It's a heavy hitter, no doubt about it. Breakout heavy hitter.
Speaker 5: Well, for you aware that this team had gone thirty four years between one hundred yard receiving games by tight end until this season.
Speaker 7: Yes, Paul I was actually there or some matter of fact. That is right, thank you. That's right.
Speaker 5: He was your former teammate. That's right, it's exactly right. Well, the guy who's our guest tonight then decided to do it twice in just over a month. Everyone say hello to ride.
Speaker 1: How about that?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 5: Trey are you feeling as good as your season has looked?
Speaker 2: How we don't?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, everything's good, man, It's it's been awesome. It's been so much fun. But everything's good. I'm so excited for this weekend, so excited for one more opportunity. I think we got a you know, we've we've we've grown a lot, We've done a lot of good things, and I'm excited to finish off the year on a good note.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 7: And not only that, finishing off the year on a good note, but you're coming off a game once again where this team played very, very well when it mattered the most.
Speaker 1: That really means something, doesn't it, Tray.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no doubt that was That was one of our best games offensively. It just felt like we had full control of the game. We we can kind of do whatever we wanted it. It was a lot of fun. It's just fun to be a part of. You know, James ran the heck out of the ball. We were able to just kind of do whatever we wanted and that's when football gets fun.
Speaker 5: So let's see here. Second half, twenty nine points. You had touchdowns in all four possessions. You had nineteen first downs, man, Yeah, what clicked in the second half.
Speaker 9: You know, I think we were doing a lot of good things in the first half. It's just we we didn't score the touchdowns. We had the field go off the bat, we had it got in the red zone. You know, we threw the pick six. I think we take that out of it. I think we're right in that game. That's a ten point swing there at least. Then that second half we kind of got touchdowns instead of field goals. We you know, we didn't turn the ball over and everything was great the second half. Everything was moving, everything was grooving, and we were scoring touchdowns.
Speaker 6: It was fun.
Speaker 7: You know, there's a lot of people out there just then. Trey is some pretty boy for the most part, right, Paul, He's no pretty buck, you know what it is.
Speaker 1: He's a full on dog, is a matter of fact.
Speaker 7: I don't know if you notice this right at the point of attack throughout the whole game, but in particular, I would say in that second half, Trey McBride was killing people out on the field. I don't know if you noticed that, POLLI.
Speaker 5: Well, well, if I couldn't help, but notice the last two months, every time you see Trey, you scream at him to be a dual tight end. So is this where you step in and try and take credit for causing.
Speaker 7: Exact Oh no, oh no, there's no way in the world. But Trey, this is something you have talked about. Yeah, and it's something you are taking seriously. All we need to do is look at the tape to see that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, that's what I wanted to be.
Speaker 9: I wanted to be a complete tight ended guy who can you know, run and block, can catch the ball, things like that, And coaches have really challenged me to be a you know, a complete guy guy who can help in that run game. And this last game, everything was clicking for me. I had a really good game, was able to move guys and it was a lot of fun. So coaches love that too.
Speaker 7: This is one of the coolest things right here, bas and onions, as I like to say, go ahead, Red Sea, go ahead.
Speaker 1: And look at it.
Speaker 7: Take a look at the tape and go back and watch it, because you'll see not only him as a move blocker, right as a move tight end, but also of course right at the point of attack.
Speaker 5: And that is.
Speaker 7: Something that you're gonna continue to develop with your game and It is the best trend I think of this season in terms of the Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 5: In this offense and what is happening so well, are you gonna get into like the Y and the H and the Are you gonna get into all that a little bit later? You're gonna scheme it up around them eat a white grease board up here. Yeah, okay, all right, here's what we'll get into all that a little bit later. I want to get back to this game in particular. Yeah, what was the mindset in Philadelphia when you know your head coach was the former defensive coordinator.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no doubt, no doubt. There's just a little bit There's just a you're playing for a little bit more. There's just a little bit more out there, you know. JG All week was was real timid and you could just tell he kind of had a little extra umph to him.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 9: So just going out there playing in Philadelphia, we know the fans were hostile, We knew what we were getting ourselves into, and just to go out there and play the way we did to go win that game was was an awesome feeling.
Speaker 7: That's one of the best things about it right there. It's not just the fact that you guys won the game, it's also how you won the game at this point of the season right now. And I've been on a lot of teams that were five and eleven, four and twelve, unfortunately I have throughout my career. I know what it's like inside that locker room. And yet at the same time, there's light at the end of the tunnel literally because you know the season's coming to a close. No matter how bad the season has been. The most impressive thing about Philadelphia to me was how you guys played in that second half, in particular to come out being down significantly and coming out in that second and half.
Speaker 1: What was said at halftime? Was there anything said?
Speaker 9: I think it was just kind of a you know, JG kind of was like, let's go, guys, like, this is what we need, this is what we came for, this is you know, things like that, and then you know, I think as an offense, we just kind of clicked. You know, like I said, we had a couple turn we had that turnover, we had the field goal in the second half. Everything was just was just flow and everything was working for us, and you know, Drew called a great game and everything was awesome.
Speaker 7: So when you were down fifteen points right going in, nobody was yelling, Nobody was in somebody's face, Nobody was doing that at halftime, because I've seen a lot of that too. Yeah, when you're four and eleven.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no doubt. It wasn't like that at all.
Speaker 9: You know, I think everyone was real calm, composed and things like that. You know, we knew we were we were right there in that game. We take that pick six out of it, We're right there in that game. We knew we were getting the ball out of half, so there was just a lot of good things coming our way. We scored that touchdown right out of half. I think we went for a two point conversion, got that as well, so you know, everything was just going for us. Tried the onside kick, didn't work for us, but then in the long run it ended up working out.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that's what John again has said after the game, that was by design to get You want to get the ball back into Kyler's hands. It's thirty one to twenty eight. He takes the offense down the field seven plays, seventy yards. We know how it all ended, but it was that final faithful drive that Jonathan Gannon talked about after the game.
Speaker 10: We talked about going into the game, we wanted to make that one had the ball at the end after the two minute there. I mean, the look in his eyes it was, I said, I got on the headsets that guys were winning the game, like he's gonna make plays and he's gonna score a touchdown. That's when he did.
Speaker 1: He was lights out, all right.
Speaker 5: So what did you see in Kyler's eyes in that huddle.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, going into that last drive, we knew we needed a touchdown, and just the fire in his eyes everything we knew we were winning that game. The offense was moving the ball the whole second half. I knew we weren't going to go away from what we were doing. James was running the ball well, I think George broke a tackle, you know, had an explosive play on that. Everything was just coming together. We played a really good game and then you know we finished with the ball in our hand. We had the opportunity to go score touchdown and give him the ball back with less less than a minute.
Speaker 6: It was it was well executed, you know.
Speaker 7: Speaking to that right there, a huddle as PAULI would say, right now, do you like actually being in the huddle?
Speaker 1: Do you like that? Because I know coming up and you know.
Speaker 7: Colorado stayed and everything else that a lot of times you're up, Tom pal and let's go get on the ball, Get on the ball.
Speaker 9: Do you actually like and enjoy huddling? Yeah, I think there's pros and cons that both. I really like how we're doing it right now. Kyler has a lot of control in that huddle. He tells you exactly what he wants. You know, sometimes before the play he'll read it himself and then he'll tell you know, the receiver whatever he wants exactly on that play. So he'll really scheme it up as in that huddle as well. So I think it's very beneficial. You know, we get things going, he tells us what he wants from us, and then we go out there and compete.
Speaker 7: One of the reasons why I used to love to huddle too is because you could look at your teammates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, eye in the huddle, no looking dad in the eye.
Speaker 7: There was a lot of accountability that was going on in there. And not only that, you can share information, can't you try it? Like, hey, guys, remember the last time, we were third and seven in the red zone downright here, Remember what they did last time. I love the fact that you can do that. I think it's one of the lost pluses if you will up huddling.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I totally agree with that. You know, there's a ton of communication, especially the O line. You know, there's so much movement, so many different guys. You're in there just talking and talking with those guys and trying to figure out what's going on.
Speaker 1: But you got to do both. Well, you have to be capable of doing both. He gotta do it all man, no doubt. Yeah.
Speaker 9: And with Kyler we go up tempo and do all kinds stuff with him too, So we're all over the place.
Speaker 5: Look, I didn't see James Connor in the huddle, but on the sideline, dude is stalking the sideline. He's mean, mugging. I mean, he's just I mean, guys are feeding off him. And here's what James Connor had to say after the game. Just all the season eyes a Cardinals set on offense.
Speaker 1: Total team effort.
Speaker 11: You know, the receivers and tight ends they were blocking down field well but also making plays, you know, to keep the chains moving and an offensive line showed up all day. You know they're they were sitting a tone throughout the week of practice and they carried over today and so you know.
Speaker 5: I can't go for a yard without them. Four hundred and forty nine total yards season I thirty two first down season I two hundred and twenty one yards rushing on forty carries. That's five and a half yards of carry, and James Conner at one hundred and twenty eight a touchdown. He had a touchdown catch as well. How about that one handed touchdown catch. As a guy who catches balls for a living, what do you think of James Connor in his hands?
Speaker 9: Yeah, No, he's He's remarkable. He's a guy that you just you never know when he's gonna break it tackle you. You you got to block for him as long as you can, because he's one of those guys who will break three four to five tackles. He catches the ball, you never know when the plays over with him. So I love playing with James. He's such a such a good guy to be around, and it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 7: Not only that too, He's one of these guys where if you watch him play if you just watch him play from the snap to the whistle, he busts it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gives you what he's got.
Speaker 7: If you just watch him, that challenges everybody else on the sideline, even in the huddle when you're out on the field, but also on the sideline watch him play.
Speaker 1: Buddha Baker is like that, isn't he? Yeah, no doubt. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Those guys are just electric.
Speaker 9: You need any kind of jews or energy, you just watch those guys play and they'll.
Speaker 1: Give it right to you.
Speaker 6: They're a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: Right thirty five thirty one Cardinals get the win in Philadelphia and you can join the Arizona Cardinals season ticket Priority List twenty twenty four. Opponents include the Bears, the Chargers, the Patriots, the Jets, the Lions, the Commanders, and of course the NFC West. For more info, go to Azycardinals dot com slash priority list. That's Asycardinals dot com Priority list. We're gonna get into Trey's breakout season. I see are Jim ol mahundro on the sheet, but big play Tray not using my nickname Trey Midplay. We'll get into that next. It's the Big Red Rage, all presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert here live at Trophy and Chandler.
Speaker 4: Trey McBride has been one of the best receiving tight ends in football.
Speaker 7: Tray McBride grows strong grasshopper near side.
Speaker 2: It is underground bove minutes. Caught at the ten yard line by mccride.
Speaker 4: First Cardinal tight end in thirty four years with a one hundred yard receiving game.
Speaker 7: Oh my goodness, Trey McBride, have a day, baby.
Speaker 4: McBride fighting for the first down at the two. He's still pushing the pile. Betty pushes it into the end zone.
Speaker 2: Put it duft down.
Speaker 4: Trey McBride all muscle Fuyer's lap in the end zone.
Speaker 2: It is caught by McBride. Hey, it's a touchdown.
Speaker 1: Big time play by Trey McBride.
Speaker 4: On inside the five yard line by mccride for a first down.
Speaker 1: We want to talk about a vertical game, man. Trey McBride went up and grabbed that ball.
Speaker 2: That was an elite catch. That was spectacular. What a beautiful grab by mccride. A nice catch by Trey McBride.
Speaker 4: McBride with that catch sets the Cardinals single season record for most receptions by.
Speaker 2: A tight end.
Speaker 4: His second NFL season has been phenomenal and it continues.
Speaker 5: Pechew Clark was here, he'd say facts. That's what he say there, Passion wolbol Montage, dray McBride his breakout season twenty twenty three and it continues. One game to go and we've got him here on the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert. We are Santan Ford live from Trophy in Chandler. So, Ron Wolfley, are you aware that our guest tonight. Since Kyler made his debut Week ten, he leads all NFL time ends in receiving first downs. He's second among all NFL tight ends in catches period and third in receiving yards.
Speaker 1: And it'll block at the point of attack.
Speaker 5: Paul is wolf Like. Is he the assistant tight end?
Speaker 9: That's what I'm trying to Well, he might be the run blocking coordinator.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 1: Well, we all know, and I've talked to Trey about this.
Speaker 7: We all know this guy is incredibly gifted and you're incredibly talented. Yet at the same time, he's got the ability, He's got the ability to be one of the best true tight ends in the national Football League, and Paulie, when you're talking about guys like that, you're talking about George Kittle, Guys like George Kittle, Trey McBride. It has the ability, has the talent to be George Kittle, in my opinion, to be like him. So well, that's the reason why I continue to encourage him.
Speaker 5: And look, I know I've thrown out some names in stats here, but you got to check this out. You know, the only NFL tight ends this season with more than one one hundred yard receiving game, there's three other ones. George Kittle, There you go, Travis Kelcey, there you go, David and Joku. They're all Pro Bowlers.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: So I guess the question becomes Trey all right, and you know, look this is this is a trust tree zone over here. Okay, Michael Jordan once said upon a time, like the ceiling is the roof or the roof is the ceiling. I still don't know what that means. But what is your upside?
Speaker 1: Do you think? You know?
Speaker 6: I don't. I don't know. I think the sky's a limit.
Speaker 9: Really, I feel like I can, you know, do everything that I've been doing is just kind of a glimpse of what I can do.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm a lot of fun.
Speaker 9: I just you know, hopefully I continue to grow, continue to keep doing what I'm doing.
Speaker 6: But it's been a blast. I think the sky's the limit really.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 7: This is the reason why it's so important to me, guys, because the Arizona Cardinals base personnel group is eleven personnel in rundown situation first and ten second and one to six eleven personnel, one back, one tight end, three wide receivers. If you can tell we got Trey, we can line him up as our stud tight end, line him up and either.
Speaker 1: Run the ball or throw the ball.
Speaker 7: Out of that because forty seven percent of the time out of eleven personnel and rundown we run the ball, fifty three percent we throw the ball. Figure it out. It's almost a fifty to fifty proposition. If you've got one guy who can be that true stud tight end, it's a huge advantage for any team in today's day and age to be able to go three wide receivers and still be capable of running the ball.
Speaker 1: Is that not right, Tray?
Speaker 9: No, absolutely, you're you're You're exactly right, exactly and it's one of.
Speaker 7: The things that makes this offense so potent going forward. If you ask me, especially when you got Kyler playing the way that he is.
Speaker 5: Not me, it's okay to disagree with Ron Wolfe on this show. See not me. You've got a guy who's gonna get like one hundred catches and a thousand yards receiving. No, I'm flexing him out. I'm getting them away from the box. I'm getting him downfield in space. Get that's okapparation, that's okay. If we do that, that's great.
Speaker 7: If we do that from time to time, of course, right, you don't want to just do one thing in the National Football League.
Speaker 1: You want to be versatile. You want to be capable of doing it all.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's hear it from your head coach. Here's Jonathan Gann and recently, I think it was yours, truly, Paully Pencilnek. I asked him about defenses, how they're accounting and adjusting for your production. Here's JG.
Speaker 1: People are aware of them.
Speaker 10: You got to devote assets to him, but without completely restructing your defense is kind of hard. So yeah, but you see people doing some different things to him, jamming them at the line, of scrimmage, you know, then add into the rush or putting you know, a safety on them instead of a linebacker. Middlefield safety is a little more aware of him, you know than some other things. So yeah, people are aware of him. He's made a lot of plays for us. He's one of our, you know, premier players in the passing game. He's had a ton of production.
Speaker 5: How much more attention have you received in the latter part of the season than you did at the beginning?
Speaker 1: A lot.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's been a lot different from when I was running routes week one, uh to running routes now. It's a lot different. It's a lot more challenging, but it's uh, it's a lot more fun as well. You know, it makes it a little difficult, makes it a little you know, puzzle kind of to get open.
Speaker 6: So it's a it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 7: It's so amazing. What is fun is to watch him after he catches the ball.
Speaker 1: I try.
Speaker 7: I gotta tell you right now, man, I had no idea you were as good or going to be as good as you are in terms of run after the catch.
Speaker 1: What why?
Speaker 7: Why is that You've talked a little bit about that in the past, tell us again, Yeah, why.
Speaker 6: That, I think that's just important.
Speaker 9: You know, my tight enands coaching college, he always uh, he made a huge emphasis that if we ever got tackled by one person, that that like we're not getting the ball anymore. So, so I it was just a huge thing. Don't ever let one guy tackle you. And uh, that's kind of been my motto ever since. You know, you got to get two, three, four guys to try to bring you down and and usually uh, and usually that results in yards after the catch.
Speaker 1: Are you screaming as you're running? Are you screaming as you're running? No?
Speaker 9: Usually yeah, it not much really goes through my head. I'm just trying to run from the guys who doesn't, you know, take my head off. Usually, so I'm just trying to run away from the guy. Usually so Wolf.
Speaker 5: Thanks, everybody plays ball the way he used to cover kickoffs, just screaming like a savage down the field.
Speaker 7: I never screamed, pulp, but some guys do. From time to time. They scream, and I don't understand how they could.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, here's the play. I like tight end screen boom, you just sort of flex out they get you the ball, you get some polling offensive linemen in front of you. Do you like that play?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I love that play. Yeah, I'm all for that. Yeah, all for that.
Speaker 5: You get some of the big guys in front of Yeah.
Speaker 9: Let them block all theough and then I'll just kind of, you know, run in behind him and and run from my life.
Speaker 5: By the way, in that montage we heard the whole push touchdown. Was that against Atlanta if memory.
Speaker 6: Sir, that was against Baltimore.
Speaker 5: Baltimore. Okay, take us through that, because at what point did you get stymied and then and then what was that like? And were you just along for the ride at some point?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 9: So Josh, Josh had told me before the play, He's like a Trey, I'm throwing you this ball. It's coming to you. Get open like so I was like, all right, So I run the route. He throws it exactly how he said. And once I caught the ball, I think I was like the four or five yard line. I was fighting to get in there, fighting, and I just I wasn't getting in there. I knew, you know, I was coming up a little short. I'm like, they're gonna blow it dead. They're gonna blow it dead. They just never blew it dead. Then I felt another push, another you know, then I'm I'm going closer to the end zone. I feel another huge wave. I think it was Will, you know, Will Well Will came cro coming in hit me, and then I felt that second surge and I got in there. I was shocked that they didn't they didn't call it dead, but I was happy as heck that they gave me the touchdown.
Speaker 7: Trey, When when we're talking about your breakout season right now, and it is obvious your talents and your skill and it's it's on display for all to see right now.
Speaker 1: But when we're talking about it.
Speaker 7: What does it mean to you to realize that you can not only play in this league, you can dominate in this league?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think it just kind of it's something that I've I feel like I felt like that for a while.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 9: It's just kind of good to show people what I'm capable of doing. To go out there, to have the opportunity to show everyone what I can do, just to to be able to do this has been so much fun. So I'm thankful the coaches gave me an opportunity and just kind of go out there to show everyone what I can do.
Speaker 7: Does the success that you're experiencing right now make you want to go even harder?
Speaker 9: No, I mean I definitely. It's definitely awesome, you know, the success and stuff. But at the same time, it's just being consistent showing the coaches that I can do what. Yeah, it's just kind of who I am there. So I just kind of like the same things and you know, good things happen so well.
Speaker 5: Speaking of the coaches, it keeps coming back to the blocking. Here's Jonathan Gannon Trey McBride at the point of attack.
Speaker 10: He's a complete player in his mind. He would tell you this to take the next step of being a completely dominant player at that spot. I think he wants that to be a little more consistent, but he does an excellent job in there with that improves every week.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's the same time, no joke. I mean, the Cardinals are the six ranked rush team in the NFL, number two in yards per carry, number two in explosive runs. Think of how different that is then the DNA of this offense a year ago.
Speaker 6: Trey, Yeah, it's a lot different.
Speaker 9: You know, We're we're running the heck out of the ball Drew. Drew loves running the football and it really helps out with the run action and the play action passes as well. So James has been great. James has been running the ball very well for us. So it's been a huge strong suit in one of our successes things. So, uh, James has been awesome and he's a huge part of why we're doing that, you.
Speaker 7: Know, hitting zoom out right here in this beautiful part of the program. Do you have a favorite play from this year? Is there a play where you were like love that right there? Do you have one play that you knew, oh my goodness, I could do this man.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I think like I think it was that touchdown, you know when when when I knew the ball was coming to me, Josh had told me that that he was throwing me the ball and and then the way that that that play ended out was was.
Speaker 1: It was sad play.
Speaker 9: I think it was that one, you know, maybe the corner that I caught it when when Kyler I think it was this first game back, that one on the sideline. When I caught that one, I was like, oh yeah, let's score. Yeah, when Kyler came back, it was.
Speaker 1: Just, Uh, you came back to the ball on that one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was a fun one.
Speaker 1: That was awesome.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there was a few of them that that this this year brings a there's a lot of goods.
Speaker 5: So, but when you guys are running the ball, it definitely opens up the passing lights, does it not?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Absolutely?
Speaker 9: With with James the way he's running the ball, those linebackers have to respect him. They're coming down, the safeties are biting on his run action, and then that leaves it up for me to sneak in behind those guys and for Kyler to throw it deep. So uh, yeah, James running the ball helps me out a ton. So you know, I help him out, he helps me out. It all works out.
Speaker 5: He's had some huge fourth quarters running the ball. True or false, you could wear down a defense.
Speaker 9: Yeah, true, absolutely, Yeah, over the course of a game, you're running the ball four or five yards to carry, you know, It's it's hard to do that for a whole game.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what we get into it. It's a really good addition to Cardinals game plan. It's on Tomorrow Night, Friday, six thirty twelve. News Jonathan Gannon some great comments on this season takes us inside the win in Philadelphia time. Well, some great comments your question about Kyler going forward. It's can't miss stuff. Cardinals game plan Friday six thirty on twelve News Exclusive conversations with the head coach. Into the film room with Drew Petzing had some great stuff as well. As we continue, it is the Big Red Rage Trey McBride, Our guests all presented by santan Ford and Gilbert and we're coming at July from Trophy and Chandler located on Green Creek Road between Kiss and Dobson, Big Red range back right after this.
Speaker 6: Shoe.
Speaker 4: We have some Murray magic here and Cardinals will need it. Snap to Murray short and set looks left bros Left. Carter caught it at the five turns left, breaks a tackle.
Speaker 2: Into the end zone for the touchdown.
Speaker 4: Snap to Murray free step drop, looking steps up, spins away from sweat now backs up. Here is twenty floats it left side into the end zone, then catch for a touchdown by James Connor. What a grab by Connor and what a throw by i Beck Kettling Kyler Murray escaping pressure.
Speaker 2: Snapped to Murray blitz coming.
Speaker 4: Murray backing up floats into the end zone, middle of the end zone, pulled in by Wilson for a touchdown. What a throw by Kyler Murray facing pressure. Murray has been brilliant here in the second half.
Speaker 2: His third touchdown pass.
Speaker 4: The Kyler Murray that we saw two years ago when the Cardinals started seven and zero and ten and two has arrived today in Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: Third touchdown pass and a half.
Speaker 6: No joke.
Speaker 5: You go back to the first half, the first two thirds of twenty twenty one and Kyler Murray was a legit MVP candidate and when he's been throwing to Trey McBride, it's been money. And Trey McBride is our guest tonight the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Cord and Gilbert were live from Trophy and Chandler. So you tell us just how is your relationship and the chemistry evall with Kyler Murray.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's definitely changed a lot in the in the last year. You know, from from last year getting drafted, you know, talking to him, you know, the little bit that I played little last year and then to have the U the connection and stuff that we've had this year.
Speaker 6: It's grown a ton. He's awesome. We we joke around a ton.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun, and uh just kind of makes that relationship a lot better. You know, when he's throwing me the ball, I know exactly what he wants and he knows what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 6: So it's been it's been a lot better.
Speaker 1: Trey, what did last year? Not to go back, but what did last year teach you? If anything?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's just a lot of a lot of craziness. There was a lot of you know, things that happened, but it just kind of really taught me how to just kind of narrow in, have tunnel vision and just kind of focus on growing, you know, to to to be the best version of myself to help these guys in any way I can. And uh, I learned a lot last year and this year has been a totally different experience. So it's been good.
Speaker 5: We mentioned how since week ten you lead all NFL tight ends in first down catches. With Kyler, you have to earn your quarterbacks trust as a receiver.
Speaker 9: Yeah, absolutely, you know to uh tab that chemistry to uh for him to throw you the ball. It's uh, you know, he has five six guys that he can throw the ball to. So to have him throw me the ball to uh, to convert on those first downs is is huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And then that connection, you know, he's knowing where I'm gonna be. I know where he's gonna throw the ball, and we just kind of, you know, grow from there.
Speaker 7: When you watch the tape of Kyler Murray playing, what did you think against the Eagles?
Speaker 9: I was like, this dude is uh, he was good. He played really well. He made a ton of plays. You know that that throw to James sticks out in me where he was about to get sacked, he you know, backed out of it. Yeah, I mean just things like that. You watch him play. He's a he's a remarkable athlete. He's a guy who, uh, he's awesome. So just playing with him, he's another guy you never know when the play is gonna be over because he he gets out of some crazy things.
Speaker 5: Hey, the touchdown pass to Michael Wilson to make it twenty eight, all, yeah, he's got Fletcher Cox hard charging. Yeah, as a free runner, he's.
Speaker 9: Just drifting off a little bit, throws it right in there to Mike. He's a zero. Yeah, he's he's a freak.
Speaker 7: They came after him on that play right there, and I love the fact that he recognized that planet and then he threw that thing.
Speaker 9: Sid yeah, which he does all kinds of crazy a lot of the time.
Speaker 7: You know, you don't want to see that from a quarterback who's five to ten throwing it sidearm. Yeah, that's exactly what he did, and it was right on the mundy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I thought that that was my favorite throw from Kyler Murray against you.
Speaker 5: So, well, what's your old saying that When the guys in the locker room start giving you a hard time, giving you the business, that's when you know, like you're one of the guys I loved totally.
Speaker 1: When they start ripping you and shredding you.
Speaker 7: Of course you leave guys alone, right right, You leave guys alone that you really just for whatever reason don't get along. You just kind of leave them alone. Guys you love, you just absolutely tear them apart.
Speaker 5: So so, Trey, you mentioned you're avolve relationship with Kyler. You guys messing around, joking around. So here's Kyler with the media, and I guess he's holding you accountable when it comes to your celebrations.
Speaker 12: Kyler his celebrations are awkward and just just like I think, you know, his swag will get better as he's keeps having success. But yeah, no, you know, tight Ends, you never know what you're getting with him. So I loved it though, love it. Wanted me to play with that edge. I want to play with that ship a little bit of craziness.
Speaker 5: Gotta have it.
Speaker 1: He's got a good mix of all of it.
Speaker 5: What's he mean there? What's he talking about?
Speaker 9: Yeah, they gave me a little hard time on my celebrations. They said I have no swags. So then the last few weeks I've been I just wasn't celebrating. Then I just all my celebrations kind of you know. But no, he he's funny man. He gives me a hard time with that stuff all the time. He tells me, I need to, you know, pick it up a little bit with my celebration swag. So I've been working on it for.
Speaker 5: Him because I went I team today, all right, CALVISI consulting the Pauly Pixien division. I went into the locker room, went over to the tight Ends. I talked to Jeff Swam, I talked to Elijah Higgins, Bernhard' psycho bitch, and I said, you know, what do I need to know about Tryan mcbriden, And they said, well, give him a hard time about his first down celebrations that I guess, like Elijah said, his was really smooth, but yours, once again, was awkward or maybe a little too involved. I mean, I mean, these guys, what's going on?
Speaker 6: I don't know, they said.
Speaker 9: I get too animated sometimes, so I'm like screaming, jumping, hollering, and then you know, they just get up and they're so nonchalant. I'm all jacked up, hooping and hollering, and these guys that you know, they don't get it. So yeah, I'm trying. I'm trying to show them, you know. But but it's it's coming, it's coming.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: It was interesting when I scored my first touchdown. I scored for Paul by the way, if you were wondering right there for my my time year career got at the same time when I scored the first one. I always love the way Walter Payton handed the ball to the official, acted like he had been there before, didn't show any emotion whatsoever.
Speaker 1: So that's what I was gonna do.
Speaker 7: And then all of a sudden, I realized, wait a minute, I never score again, you know what I mean? And I started looking for the ball, but the officials had already taken. Yeah, it was kind of a rough situation right there. But I had no swag either. But trust me on that one.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, there's Walter Payton, there's Barry Sanders, Larry Fitzgerald. They know another touchdowns coming they can hand up year. You gotta savor everyone, It's right, all right. So it's it's all part of a different culture with this team this year. And and Kyler was asked about that. Jonathan Gannon, manti Oscibord new decision makers obviously, And and here's what Kyler had to say about the new culture.
Speaker 12: And thinks it's a big year as far as building culture. I'm set and standard with J. G. Monty and the draft class. You know they've been They've been great. You know, all the guys you know love football. I ask questions, extra work, whatever it is. You know, you can you can tell it's different and different vibes. So I'm excited to, you know, move forward and continue to grow with these dudes.
Speaker 5: I know a lot of fans here. The work culture probably aren't exactly sure how to define it. I mean, not to get all philosophically here, but what does it mean to you? And what does it mean to a football team?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's everything, you know, the way that you guys carry yourself, the way that you know the coaches hold you to a standard.
Speaker 6: It's everything.
Speaker 9: It's it's just the way of life really, And when you spend so much time in that facility, if you're not doing things the right way, it can seriorate fast. So I think the coaches have done a great job of laying the foundation, and the players then have to build the foundation and build it the right way. So I think as a as a unit, as a team, we've done a great job of that. MANI and jg have you know, gave us a standard and now we just have to hold everyone to that standard.
Speaker 1: I remember I had some old coaches. They would say who what how? Who what how? Who what how?
Speaker 7: That's what they would say, who what how? And they'd say a lot of it in a southern braw as well, Paul, So you know, but who what how?
Speaker 1: What they meant as culture? Who what how? Who we are? What we do and how we do it? Yeah, that's that's what.
Speaker 7: Culture is, and it's everything. It applies to everything right down to how you're gonna meet right who we are, what we do, and how we're gonna do it. Everything meeting room, on the field, practice mentality, this is, this is the type of player we're going to bring in here. This guy is how we want this guy to think. In other words, it's all of that, Paul. It's it's personnel, it's scheme, it's everything.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: How important that the head coach holds himself accountable. I mean for both you guys from your experiences, I mean Trey, because you constantly hear Jonathan Gannon cite himself. Yeah, does the locker room hear that?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Absolutely.
Speaker 9: He He definitely makes it clear when uh, you know, when if he makes a mistake or something, he'll let us know.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 6: But he's uh, he's great. He he has that standard.
Speaker 9: He holds himself to that thing and uh he wants to, you know, build this thing the right way as well. So he's been awesome of delivering it. And uh, you know, as a as a unit, we've done a great job of building it.
Speaker 5: Was there anything he was yelling at you about, maybe in August and September that Okay, now he's finally stopped yelling at you about was there anything he really wanted to see out of you early this season?
Speaker 6: Nothing?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 6: You know, for for me is just he's always on me about blocking.
Speaker 9: He you know, we'll be in uh, we'll be in uh, you know, we'll be in uh an individual and and you know he's he's from across the field and he's like, come on, Trey, you know whatever it is. So he's screaming at me from across the field. He's awesome. He's been great. It's just nice to have him out there and coaching us like he does. So treat How have you grown as a leader? Have you grown as a leader? I mean, do you kind of feel like that is who you are and what you.
Speaker 1: Need to do?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I feel like, you know, just leader. You know, leadership is a lot with respect. You know that you play a lot, you get that respect from your teammates and then you can kind of lead. You know, last year, if you're not playing a whole lot, it's hard to respect the guy that's not playing at all. So now that I've got you know, playing a lot, now that I've been, you know, making place for the guys that now I have a say in what we're doing and can kind of, you know, bring guys along with me. So so try to be a leader and bring the guys with me is something that I'm always striving to be as well.
Speaker 7: That is a huge responsibility too, leadership, no doubt, on a football team, no doun't care if you're talking high school, college, pro, whatever it may be, that is a huge responsibility.
Speaker 1: You've got to hold yourself accountable first, no doubt.
Speaker 9: And yeah, and you're held to a higher standard than most other guys. So it's a it's a it's a huge thing. And we got a lot of great guys, so hopefully that can be one too.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're only a you're removed from your rookie season. What'd you learn last year from a zach Ertz or a Max Williams?
Speaker 1: Would you learn?
Speaker 6: Yeah, those guys, those guys have been great. They they taught me a ton.
Speaker 9: Those guys were were great vets. They uh, they taught me a lot, you know, And Jeff, this year has been great. They they taught me how to run routes, how to block you know, what I'm seeing coverage wise, all kinds of things. So, uh, they've been awesome. They've taught me so many things. And and to to have the you know year or two I had with those guys where were remarkable.
Speaker 5: How was Swain doing with his learning a German, the German language from Bernhard's sage? It is it getting any better? Because I think he was struggling earlier.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we're all struggling. Psycho was always trying to teach us some German. But uh, we're we're all slow learners for sure.
Speaker 1: I just walk up to some guy and say the Gates, Yeah, just how.
Speaker 5: Do you say run game blocking coordinator in German? Yes, that's what Actually you know what will Well, we busted you down. That's actually too lofty. It should be run game blocking quality control, I think is what Ron Wolfley should be. All right. Hey, it's the AARs on a card season ticket priority list today twenty twenty four. Opponents include the Bears, the Chargers, the Patriots, that Jets, the Lions commanders, of course, the NFC West. For all the info go at Azycardinals dot com slash priority list again. Join the Ears on a Cardinals season ticket priority list at Azycardinals dot com slash priority list. All right, the stink and Seahawks. We talked Seattle next to the big red rage resented by Santan ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Tyler Murray has been magical in the second half and the ball will be in his hands.
Speaker 1: This is what your franchise quarterback does.
Speaker 2: Keep dropper.
Speaker 4: Murray sends a pass on the near sideline, caughtigan, torch, broke and tackle thirty right side, twenty cuts back to the left of the ten, another broken.
Speaker 2: Tackle and finally gobbled up with the six. But it will be first in goal.
Speaker 4: Quick snap hand off Connor, straight ahead, geeze to the goal line, pend across for the go ahead touchdown. James Connor punches it in and the Cards take the lead thirty four to thirty one with thirty.
Speaker 2: Two seconds to go in the game. This will be the final play.
Speaker 4: Hurts takes a shot deep middle of the end zone and it is intercepted in the back of the end zone and the Arizona Cardinals give Jonathan Gannon a signature victory in his first season with the red Birds, and.
Speaker 5: The G and JG standing for the grinch who stole New Year's in Philly. How about that. I think I saw you after the game doing the whole fly Cardinals flide, did I not, Drey.
Speaker 7: McBrien, Yeah you did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: The Philly fans didn't like that one at all. So that was that was fun for me.
Speaker 5: It was I mean, it was winning the game and then they're sending the Eagles fans home and making them turn on their own team, no doubt. And you guys knew that was gonna happen. If you could take the lead and win the game, you knew those fans would turn.
Speaker 9: Right well after the first drive they went, I think they went three and out and they were booing off to the first drive. So I was like, I was like, worn for a This is a tough place to play, There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 5: So all right, So McBride is our guest wrapping up this edition of The Big Red Rage, All presented by Santan Fordy and Gilbert Live at Trophian, Chandler and Wolf. Here's here's what you need to know. If the Cardinals can pick up where they left off in Philadelphia get a win against Seattle. They went three out of their final five, and you guys finished two and two or.
Speaker 9: At four and four.
Speaker 5: That is four and four with Kyler Murray as your starting quarterback. Yeah, I mean you tell us, is that the sort of confidence that can carry over into another season?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: You know, Kyler came into a tough situation, you know, middle of the year, and for him to to rally and to bring us back to kind of where we are, it's been.
Speaker 6: It's been remarkable.
Speaker 9: He's a he's a tremendous player, a great leader, and a guy that that I'm I'm thankful that I get a you know, play with him. So he's uh, he's been great and I think we have a bright future with him at the at the helm.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: You know what, honestly, I agree with everything that Trey just said right there. Very very excited about this game. I think there's a lot of import here for the Arizona Cardinals. If they could find a way to go out there and beat this team, a team that's going to be a little bit desperate. Would you say that, Paulie right?
Speaker 5: If they lose, that's right, that's.
Speaker 7: Right, And that's exactly Yes, that's exactly the situation that I wanted to see for this game. What a great way when you've had a rough season, and the Arizona Cardinals have had a rough season, What a great way to be able to finish it than to knock Seattle out of the postseason.
Speaker 1: That would be a wonderful way to do that. And not only that too.
Speaker 7: It's my expectation, Paul, the way this team is playing right now, in particular on the offensive end. And you know me, Paul, I never talk like this, but watching the Seattle Seahawks' defense, they are struggling and they are struggling to stop the run, Paul. In the last four games, on one hundred and thirty eight carries, they have given up seven hundred and fifteen yards. It's almost one hundred and eighty yards per game rushing they have allowed. This is this is not the Seattle Seahawks from my dad's era.
Speaker 1: All right, this is not this right here is this is a team that is struggling to stop the run. We can line up and pound the.
Speaker 7: Football, and I think moved the football against this front seven. That's my expectation, Paul.
Speaker 5: You know, you know what's remarkable when the Cardinals went there in Week seven, at that point, Seattle's run defense was number one in yards per carry and they've regressed almost every week since to the point now where they're thirtieth. And run defense last eleven games are given up nearly one hundred and sixty yards rushing per game. So yeah, I mean, you make someone you continue to run the ball until they stop it, I would presume, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 9: And the way James is playing, I think we give him the ball, we feed him, and then I think the way our offensive line, the way we ran the ball last week, I think that's exactly what we need to do. And you know, and we then that, like I said, that opens up all the play action, all the stuff down the field. So I think that's exactly what we're gonna do and hopefully James can have a big game.
Speaker 7: Is there a position that benefits more from play action than a tight end?
Speaker 1: No doubt?
Speaker 9: Right yet, that is right, yeah, just because like you said, you know, being in the run game, to be at the point of attack to do all that stuff, then you can sell all those runs. You know, now you're not blocking. Linebackers are looking in the backfield and before you know it, you're behind them and things like that. So the tight end position. Definitely, UH needs a good running back to help them out.
Speaker 5: All right, So the offense feeds off James Connor like the defense feeds off Buddha Baker. You guys got to win in Pittsburgh for Connor. You gotta win in Philly for JG. Buddha. This is his hometown team. He's a Seattle native. Yeah, and you bet the now six time Pro bowler wants to end the season.
Speaker 8: With a doub Of course, we want to end out the season with the w. You know, we understand that. You know, it hasn't been the season. You know, everybody has won it. But we continue the grind, We continue to go to work each day to trying to get better. And yeah we got we got one more week left. So of course he's going to be special to go in and win at home one last time.
Speaker 5: Well, if we both remember the game in Seattle a few years ago where he knocked out two Seattle running backs, there's something about Buddha plays Seahawks.
Speaker 7: Just get out of the way. Yeah, there's no doubt about it. The guy is just one of my favorite players of all time. And it's because he is diminutive. He's not prototypical in any way, shape or form in terms of being a safety and the National Football League. Many times he's the smallest guy on the field. He's not the fastest guy on the field, and all he does is destroy you on the field.
Speaker 1: That to me, I can't shout out Buddha Baker enough.
Speaker 5: What about what else about their defense stands out? I mean Bobby Wagner number two in the NFL and tackles Devon Witherspoon, Right, I mean, here, here's a rookie man. He puts some big hits on in weeks, Evan, Jamal Adams obviously box safety. I mean, there's there's some names on that defense.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no doubt. You know, Wagner's playing really good. He's he's been an elite, you know, linebacker for a long time. So he's someone that that we definitely got to know where he's at. Jamal Adams is on I are so he won't be playing against us, but but he's another guy that you got to know where he's at. But they got such a good defense with so many guys, it's, uh, you got to know where they are, especially Wagner. He's someone who really comes to mind a guy who's always around the ball, always uh you know, finding a way to make a tackle.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Three pro bowlers on the defensive side of the ball for the Seahawks. Bobby Wagner of course, Devon Witherspoon, Jillian Love, Yes, Julian Love. This is a guy that is starting to take off right here. But they're all on the defensive side of the ball for the Bulls Park. Bobby Wagner as well. When you watch the tape, the guy has been incredible his entire career, a guy that I think could be could be a Hall of Famer right here. But Bobby Wagner also is making a lot of tackles. Man, he's making a lot of tackles about six seven yards down field as well. They're giving up yards, yet Bobby Wagner is the guy that's making a lot of the place.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: Well you know it's Pete Carroll. After the game he talked about how we're not fitting the run again week after week. So they don't have a lot of answers right now, so we'll see best of luck on Sunday Tray.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: You know it's is good, by.
Speaker 1: The way, is it?
Speaker 5: Big Blake tray or Trey mcplay. I mean, if you had to choose, which one would it be?
Speaker 9: I'm good for either one which everyone comes out the tongue easier?
Speaker 1: Is it for me? All right?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 5: Special thanks Executive producer Jim al Mahudro Cody Fincher, Ali Narini Engineers, Wald Ellis Lawrence Ellis. A special shout out to the long time presenting sponsor the Big Red Rage, our friends tim Ovick and Company at Santanford in Gilbert, let's hear it, and of course the management of staff here at Trophy Jared Smith, Russell Young's, Jeff Marley, i'mbout a round of a loss for those guys making it happen, Lron Wolfe On, Paul Calvic and Trey McBride. This has been the Big Red Rage presented by s and Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Y'all, you've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the price right on the corner of the santan two to two Freeway.
Speaker 5: In val Vista.
Speaker 3: The Rage is brought to you by seat Geek your Ticket to Great Seats, and by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts visit azcardinals dot com Slash podcast. This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals football Club